New Faces Same Bench by Shadowlady
Summary: Holly gets a postcard, and the back bench gets a new couple
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Holly's Place Series
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 563 Read: 2730 Published: 01/02/2007 Updated: 01/02/2007

1. New Faces Same Bench by Shadowlady

New Faces Same Bench by Shadowlady
Checking the mail Holly tossed several envelopes onto the desk in front of her even as her eyes fell on the colorful card that had been tossed in with the rest of the bills. Fingering it she smiled at the familiar look of a postcard, the scenic beauty on it was stunning.

Tall, lush forests lined the mountain peaks that were covered in snow, and a small, weathered old cabin was nestled into the stand of pines, its windows glowing yellow in the dusk and a plume of smoke coming up from the chimney.

Turning it over she felt the smile crossing her face grow as she read the few lines that were on the back of it.

“Bart,” she called and rose to pad into the kitchen, aware of the few customers sitting in the restaurant. Most were regulars who came, ate and left again so she didn’t mind them.

“Yes dear,” Bart drawled as he glanced at her, “Whatcha get?”

“A postcard.”

“What’s it say?”

Holly smirked at him, “Dear Holly and Bart, just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that we are fine. We’re at our own place, a place that we know you’d love. Figure on taking some time for ourselves before we come back that way. Sorry we didn’t say goodbye, but since it won’t be forever, I guess the see you around works. Rogue.”

“Well good for them,” Walt grinned at the words. “Always figured she deserved some happiness, looks like she got it.”

“Yep,” Holly glanced across the room to the battered old bench. It sat empty now, only on days when they were filled to overflowing did it get used but maybe that was okay. It was after all Rogue and Logan’s bench.

Her gaze slid to the door as the bell jingled and a slim, dark haired girl slid into the room along with a tall, muscular young man. Both were dressed in designer clothes and yet both seemed to want to hide, if the way they stared in horrified shock at her words was any indication.

“Morning kids,” Holly greeted them. “What can I getcha?”

The girl looked up at the young man and smiled softly, “Um Piotr what do you think?”

“Just coffee for now,” the boy replied ushering the girl down the walkway to the furthest bench from the door where he sank into it while the bench gave a groan of protest.

“You kids seem to be a long way from home,” Holly stated as she set two cups down in front of them. Her gaze darted between the pair and picked up on the easy intimacy between them, and the shadows that were only too familiar.

The girl smiled a soft, secretive smile as she glanced at her companion then at Holly, “We got it from a real good source that it takes an awful long time to be discovered here. Just figured we’d find out how long it would take.”

Holly nodded and smiled, “That’s true. Sometimes it can take an entire lifetime, if you’re really, really lucky.”

Leaving the young lovers alone with their coffee she headed back to the rest of her customers, something telling her that these kids would be back daily, much the way another set of lovers had been.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=155