The Truth is Next to You by Shadowlady
Summary: Logan puts Rogue’s greatest fears to rest
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Holly's Place Series
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 940 Read: 2545 Published: 01/02/2007 Updated: 01/02/2007

1. The Truth is Next to You by Shadowlady

The Truth is Next to You by Shadowlady
Nursing her tea Rogue stared down at the table, her eyes burning, and her throat choked with emotion. Logan had been gone three days and Jean had taken a great deal of delight in breaking the news to Rogue that Logan had gone off to see a mistress. She’d prolonged the agony as long as she could, keeping Rogue in her office for nearly twenty minutes while she revealed that little tidbit.

The news that Rogue would never be enough for Logan was hardly new, in fact the whole lecture was rather old but the pain was still strong. She waved off Holly’s attempts at comfort, instead turning inward to deal with the pain.

~You can’t believe her, ~ Logan’s rough growl echoed in her mind.

~She’s right. I’ll never be enough. Sooner or later he’s gonna want more than this. More than a hard bench in some backwater diner. He’s gonna want touch, and sex, and..~

~No he won’t. We love you, not your skin, not sex, not something we’ve seen a hundred million times. Besides, we get enough physical from you that it doesn’t matter – your kisses are more than enough for us.~

~Then why ain’t he back?~ Rogue snarled angrily.

~It was a mission darling’. Chuck figure Logan could do it better than anyone and he’s right. Logan will be back for you, he’ll come back if he has to crawl every inch. Don’t you remember what happened months ago? He hitched with truckers to come back to you after they left him. He begged for rides rather than let you down.~

~I just wish I could touch him, that I could..~

~You do. You touch us in ways that nobody has ever done before. You bring the light to a world that was dark. We love you more than life itself. Why do you think we stay at the mansion? Do you think we enjoy hearing about how bad we are, how much of an animal we are? We don’t. We stay because it’s where you are, where you must be for now. As long as you are there we will stay, when the time comes we will go, all four of us.~

~Four?~ Rogue pondered.

~You are two people within your mind you know. You are Marie and you are Rogue and they are separate people. Trust us, trust Logan, and trust in your heart Marie. We will protect you.~

“Hey darlin’,” the low smoky voice had her glancing up sharply to see Logan standing next to the table. Exhaustion and pain filled his eyes as he eased into the bench and snuggled closer to her warmth, “Didn’t find you at the mansion so I came to see if you would be here.”

“How’d the mission go?” Rogue whispered softly.

“It was a trap,” Logan grunted angrily. “Lucky we got out.”

“Why’d he send you and Peter?”

“Figured we’re the only ones indestructible.”

“You aren’t indestructible Logan; you’re just as mortal as the rest of us.”

“I know baby.” Logan pulled her against him, wincing at the still healing bruises that covered his body and held tightly. “But that ain’t what’s bothering you is it? Who said what?”

“Jean said you went to see a mistress,” Rogue whispered knowing better than to lie about something so important. “Said I wouldn’t be enough for you..”

“Darlin’ the only mistress I’ve got is the same mistress I’ve always had. I have a confession to make,” he whispered conspiratorially. “I’m having an affair with a beautiful brunette with a white streak in her hair and lethal skin. She turns me inside out and makes me more of a man than any one night stand could ever do.”

“Really?” Rogue whispered sadly. “Even though you can’t touch her, can’t spend any time with her.”

“I spend all the time I want with her,” Logan replied softly, “Because deep down her and I are never really apart. We’re always together in our hearts, and in her head. Someday we’ll be able to spend time together during the daylight hours, but for now we have the nights. And we have stolen kisses in the woods, and glances across a crowded room, and..”

”Is it enough?” Rogue turned her head and met his gaze. “Is it?”

Logan smiled softly, sadly, “Honestly? Yes it is. Even if you don’t believe me, just think about this. The truth is sitting next to you every night. It’s in the briefest of touches, in the looks, in the small gifts we share. As long as you’re here, as long as I can see you, smell you, touch you – it will be enough.”

Rogue stared at him hard for a moment or two before moving her head back to his shoulder, “You smell of pain.”

“A few of the worse bruises are still healin’,” he admitted. “Course Chucky don’t like it that I took off without briefing them but I say tough luck. You’re more important than their stupid dream.”

With a soft nod, Rogue snuggled closer to him and closed her eyes content for the moment with Logan’s warmth soaking through her blouse and the scent of his aftershave and that particular smell that belonged to him and him alone wrapping around her easily, comfortably. Oh yes, he was right. The truth was sitting next to her, and he’d always be there for her.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=151