New York in Winter by Shadowlady
Summary: Logan and Rogue discuss the boundaries of their relationship at the mansion
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Holly's Place Series
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1543 Read: 2846 Published: 01/02/2007 Updated: 01/02/2007

1. New York in Winter by Shadowlady

New York in Winter by Shadowlady
Pulling slowly into the parking lot Rogue killed the engine of the truck and got out. Moving gingerly through the snow she tilted her head up and watched the white flakes falling, gigging softly as they caught on her eyelashes and melted on her nose and cheeks.

Shaking her head she headed for the door even as she heard the familiar roar of a powerful engine. Only in three inches of fresh snow would Logan ride the bike. Glancing behind her she hid a smile as she watched him follow her tracks into the parking lot and kill the bike next to the pickup.

“Moving kinda slow ain’t ya?” Logan teased gently.

“It’s snowing,” Rogue giggled as she opened her arms up, “I love it I just haven’t driven in it too much.”

“Just teasin’ you darlin’,” Logan drawled easily. “Come on, I’ll buy you a cup of hot chocolate.”

“Mmm,” with a grin, Rogue took Logan’s offered hand and let him help her into the doorway where there was no snow. Stomping the white stuff off their feet they slipped inside and shook it off their coats before heading to their table.

“Glad to see you two was getting worried,” Bart called from the kitchen. “This snow’s keeping the roads pretty isolated.”

“Yeah I know,” Rogue said as she grabbed a cup on her way past the counter, “Can I get our coffee Bart?”

“Sure, Holly’s on the phone in the back so help your selves. You want something to eat? Some soup or something to warm you up?”

“Hey you got any of that cake you had the other day?” Logan asked with a slight frown, his hazel eyes scanning the counter for the treat box.

“Which one? We have several cakes Logan,” Bart grinned at Logan’s dark look.

“That chocolate one. Seem to recall it was pretty good.”

“I’ll grab you two some,” Bart declared as he wiped his hands on his apron and opened the small clear door that was in front of the plates the baked goods sat on. Taking out two pieces he picked up two forks and headed for the back table. “How’s the bike handle in this weather?”

“Fine,” Logan grunted. “It gets cold after a while though. Should’ve taken one of the cars.”

”Why don’t you just come together?” Bart asked as he settled across from the young couple.

“Because we’re not supposed to be associating,” Rogue admitted as she glanced at Logan, “I’m only eighteen and the people we live with think I’m too young for Logan. They want something else for me, someone else.”

Bart nodded, “You tell ‘em to stuff it? Seems to me you two would do pretty good with each other.”

“We think so,” Logan admitted unfazed by Bart’s conversation; he’d learned that while Bart had an opinion he didn’t try to force it on a person. That and the fact that the man had proven himself to be mutant friendly was enough of a reason for him to refrain from gutting the overweight cook. “It’s just that until she’s twenty-one we can’t really..”

“Why twenty-one?” Bart asked softly.

“Because that’s when Wheels’ guardianship ends,” Rogue declared with a sad shrug. “I mean I love Wheels, I do but I don’t see why he thinks I can’t make up my own mind.”

“Probably cause I’m in it and he thinks I’m using you,” Logan replied softly as he licked the icing off his fork. “After all I’m the homicidal freak.”

“Oh bull..” Rogue paused before she finished cursing, “You’re no more a freak than I am.”

“Just leaves homicidal.” Logan replied with a grin as he smeared a lick of icing down her nose. “And you ain’t a freak.”

“No I’m just walking death,” Rogue giggled as she dodged his fork smeared with icing. “Don’t, you’re gonna get us kicked out!”

“Ha, we’re the only ones in here,” Logan growled as he winked at Bart, “And we’ve got the owner sitting here. I say just hold still and get it over with.”

“You would,” Rogue giggled and jumped when his arm came around her and crushed her against his chest. Opening her mouth to protest, Rogue found her mouth stuffed with cake and icing. “Mmm, sneaky Logan, real sneaky,” she said wiping at her mouth with her hand.

“That’s just cause I’m the best,” Logan retorted as Bart laughed and rose.

“You’re boss is a fool,” he met Logan’s gaze. “Cause if I had to wager I’d say you ain’t about to hurt her. Better get back to my bread.”

“Thanks for the cake,” Rogue said as Bart headed back into the kitchen.

“Gotta agree with him,” Logan drawled as he bit into another mouthful of moist cake, “Chuck’s a fool, and a pretty stupid one at that.”

“What makes you say that?” Rogue asked licking her fork off.

“He thinks I’d use you,” Logan ground out, “Hell doesn’t the fact that I’ve given you my powers mean anything. I stabbed myself in the fuckin’ chest on Liberty Island to save you and he thinks it’s just some illusion I’ve got, that I’m just passing time with you to get at Jeannie.”

“I know,” Rogue sighed, “There really isn’t anything we can do about it though. He’s got the power to make our lives miserable if we don’t do what he wants. Besides that it’s only two and a half years Logan, I think we can survive that.”

Logan grinned at her and squeezed her gently, “As long as we’ve got here, we’ll be good.”

“Do you think they’ll ever find out about us?” Rogue asked softly, thoughtfully.

“Yes,” Logan replied, “I think they suspect something but they don’t have any proof so they can’t confront us. It’s not like we’re doing anything wrong Marie, we’re just having coffee so they can’t throw me out.”

“Do you think they would?” Rogue gaped at him, shocked at the thought.

“They would if I interfered with their little plans for you,” Logan replied seriously. “They figure you’ll join the team, risk your life and limbs for their cause because they took you in. If they thought that my presence would prevent you from doing that, I’d be outta there so fast our heads would be spinning. Not to mention that I don’t trust Chuck not to try some mental shit.”

“We can’t let that happen Logan; I can’t do this without you. I can’t be that happy little girl they want.”

“I know that, it’s the only reason I don’t tell ‘em to shove their fancy house and take off with you,” Logan growled as he poked at his cake. “It bothers me that Jean seems to think you need to be coddled, need to be pitied. It bothers me that Scott can’t keep his eyes to himself – and he better not be touching either. I see the looks from everyone; hear what they say but I don’t let it get to me. My whole focus is you, not them and I don’t give a shit about ‘em.”

“Do you understand that we could leave?” Rogue asked softly, “We could go somewhere else.”

“And spend the rest of our lives running?” Logan shook his head, “No, darlin’. I wouldn’t do that to you.”

“But..”

“No,” Logan looked her in the eyes, “This time I’m putting you in front of my needs, putting what we’ve got ahead of the desire to rearrange someone’s face. We have an escape, a way out of the pressures from the mansion, and we take full advantage of it. I won’t risk that for them.”

Rogue studied him seriously, he wouldn’t budge from this she knew that but she wondered if there was a way around it. She began thinking about finding a way out for both of them, because if she was honest with herself Rogue had to admit that there was going to come a day when she said to hell with everything and went to him at the mansion. When the sneaking, and the subterfuge wasn’t good enough and she needed more and she reached out and took it without a thought to Charles or his stooges.

She would have to think of something that would keep them together, keep Logan safe, and give them what they’d earned. The right to be together, to have the love they shared without hiding like a pair of criminals. Setting her mind to it, Rogue snuggled against Logan with a soft sigh and turned her attention to watching the snow falling outside.

“Okay Logan,” she whispered softly, “We’ll do it your way for now.”

The smile on Logan’s face told her of his relief, and his love and she smiled back. They had time.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=149