Happy Birthday by Shadowlady
Summary: Logan and Rogue meet for a birthday
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Holly's Place Series
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 868 Read: 2791 Published: 01/02/2007 Updated: 01/02/2007

1. Happy Birthday by Shadowlady

Happy Birthday by Shadowlady
Growling at the annoying buzz of the traffic Logan stared at the diner in front of him. Rogue had insisted he be here tonight, insisted she had a surprise for him and he’d skipped out on a good fight so he could be there for her. Both of them knew that he needed the fights the way most need oxygen yet something kept pulling him away from the violence that was a cage match.

Personally he knew what that was, knew who kept him sane in a world that tried to make him into a well trained puppet. Knowing that tomorrow he'd spend most of the day pounding on the animatronics, and holograms that made up the Danger Room's fight programs, Logan had to admit it was better than a fight club. At least at the mansion Rogue was close enough to see, enough to smell.

With a soft sigh he pushed aside his aggravation and headed inside, noting in passing that his usual bench was once again unoccupied and that Holly was setting two cups down on the table, filling one with hot, strong, black coffee.

“Thanks,” he grunted as he slid into the booth automatically reaching for the coffee cup.

“You’re welcome Logan. Dinner?”

“Naw, maybe later.”

Holly nodded and retreated even as the familiar purr of a well tuned engine drifted in through the open door as someone left. Glancing out the windows she smiled softly at the battered truck that pulled into the lot. Returning to the table she poured another cup of coffee before heading back to the counter.

Watching heads swivel to watch as the cloaked girl entered the room had Holly smothering a chuckle. No matter that the pair had been coming to this diner for nearly four months, every night it was the same routine and the regulars knew it.

“Hey sugar,” Rogue smiled as she slid in next to Logan, “How’s it going?”

“Scott’s getting on my nerves,” Logan groused crossly. “Doesn’t want me to waste so much time at the bar.”

“What bar?” Rogue frowned slightly.

“I don’t know, seems he thinks I’m spending all my time at some fight bar,” Logan shrugged uncomfortably. “How ‘bout you? That new kid’s been sniffin’ around you a lot lately.”

“Eech,” Rogue shuddered, “His only redeeming quality is he smells like tobacco. I mean talkin’ about himself in the third person? And that awful accent? Just eech, I’d much rather spend my time with you.”

Logan hid a grin at her words and nodded quickly, “Yeah I know what you mean. So what’s on the agenda for tonight? You hungry?”

“Nope,” Rogue smirked at him and pulled out a small package. “Got something for you.”

Raising an eyebrow in the customary expression she’d fallen in love with Logan took the offering and opened it carefully. She wished suddenly she had a camera as she caught his expression of shock and amazement.

”Why’d you get me keys?”

“Cause they’re for your new baby,” Rogue giggled, “That trucker you helped out a few weeks back had an old Indian in his garage at home and I asked him about it. He gave it to me for helping him out.”

“I didn’t do nothing,” Logan muttered thinking back to when he’d stepped in and helped out a trucker who’d been about to get pounded by ten men with crowbars because he was obviously a mutant. “Just helped a man outta a tight spot.”

“Oh pish posh,” Rogue waved it off, “He appreciated it and said he owned you a favor. I offered to pay for it and he said nope, consider it a birthday, Christmas, and good will present.”

“I don’t have a birthday darling,” Logan reminded her easily still staring at the keys.

“Yeah you do, it’s July 1, which is today.”

“July first,” Logan glanced at her, “Why today?”

“Cause today is Canada Day and you’re Canadian. I figure it fits you perfectly,” Rogue giggled softly. “So happy birthday.” Smacking his arm she leaned against him and smiled at his tolerant look.

“Thanks,” Logan whispered wrapping an arm around her shoulders, “Thanks a lot. It means the world to me that you’d do this.”

“I know,” Rogue replied snuggling up to him easily, “Its one of the reasons I do it.”

Falling silent the pair turned their attention to the traffic outside and the gathering darkness. It wasn’t long before Logan realized that Rogue had fallen asleep, her soft snore echoing within him as he played with the key in his hand.

She’d gone to a lot of trouble to acquire something for him and he appreciated it. With a soft smile he glanced down at her, he’d have to remember to do something big for her birthday which was later in the month. Something like take her for a ride on the bike or something, maybe a picnic up at the falls. He didn’t know, but he’d think of something, he’d give everything to her that she’d ever wanted, ever needed or die trying.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=144