Sugar by Jenny
Summary: Logan helps Marie chaperone a group of 12 year-olds on a trip to Coney Island.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Foof
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2014 Read: 1705 Published: 09/14/2001 Updated: 09/14/2001

1. Chapter 1 by Jenny

Chapter 1 by Jenny
Author's Notes:
I've been reading and writing for months. Okay, almost a year, but haven't been brave enough to post anything or ask anyone to read it yet, but here goes nothing. This is silly and foofy and comes from me volunteering my husband to help chaperone a church trip to go play mini-golf. He hates kids, and dislikes mini-golf even more, but I know I caught him smiling a time or three during the trip and then he bought the kids ice cream on the way home. What a guy.
"Didn't know you had it in you, Logan. The kids are gonna love this." Scott said, slapping me on the back as they walked into the garage, not even trying to hide the smirk on his face. I growled, low in my throat, because well, that's what I do. And I got the incredible satisfaction of seeing Scott take it for the warning that it was and back off. Unfortunately, he switched into leader-teacher, overbearing father mode with his next breath. "Don't feed them too much junk food and make them wear their seatbelts and..."

"Scooter, shut up before you're holding your intestines in you hands."

Scott blanched at the mental image Logan just provided. And waved a cheery goodbye to him, as he, Marie and half a dozen twelve-year-olds piled into the SUV for an excursion to Coney Island.

A trip which I'm stuck chaperoning. Because she said " please sugar," and I lost my mind.

Please sugar.

Logan sat, cuffed to a chair, in the police station remembering how those two simple little words started this whole mess.

I've never been one for pet names, other than darlin', which I've used for years. Mainly so I wouldn't encounter that embarrassing moment when I couldn't remember the name of the naked woman lying next to me. What can I say? I spent fifteen years acting like an ass.

Then she called me "sugar." And I was lost.

She turned eighteen a few weeks ago and, standing at her bedroom door that night, panting, her lips swollen from my kisses, looking more beautiful than ever, told me point blank, in no uncertain terms, that I was going to have to date her a while before I, in her words, well, probably mine, but let's not pull that whole memory sucking thing into this, got into her pants.

Two years of cold showers and avoiding Jean and the Professor when she was working out in that spandex body suit of hers and she said no. I could have pushed. She wants me as badly as I want her and with a little seduction on my part I could have her. But this was Marie and, maybe I've become as big a pansy as old Scooter, but I don't want her to feel pressured or regret anything when I finally do touch her.

Which is how I found myself with a carload of kids, singing BackStreet Boys songs, staring out the windshield, cursing the twist of fate and soft southern drawl that brought me here.

The trip started out fine. Well, as fine as a trip with 6 hyper, mutant twelve-year-olds could start. Coney Island was one of Marie's favorite places and I was feeling pretty proud of myself for suggesting it for our date on Saturday night. Walk around, hold her hand, feed her cotton candy and funnel cake, win her a stuffed animal, walk along the beach with my arm around her, kiss my girl in the moonlight.

Sounded like a great idea to me.

Should've asked her in private.

Unfortunately, I was so wrapped up in my "I'm a Dating Genius" self-congratulations that I asked her while she was playing Chinese Checkers with some of the little kids. And one said quietly that she used to go to the boardwalk with her dad, before...

Aw crap.

I saw where it was headin' and couldn't stop it. Like a runaway freight train barreling down a hill, that one little girl's comment elicited a flood of when "I was little", "before my mutation", and "before I left home" comments. I was still doing okay; nobody was crying yet, although a few looked close. Sure, I felt bad for them. I'm not completely callous, but this was date night with my Marie. I admit it, I'm jealous and possessive and she was supposed to be mine for the night. And then she said it. "Could we take them with us? Please sugar."

Hearing Marie, in her honey soft sweet drawl, call me "sugar" did things the most talented and practiced women couldn't. I could feel the metal of my bones turn to liquid, and would agree to practically anything. But this! This was way over the line. No, this was so far over the line that the line wasn't in sight anymore. But she looked up at me with those wide hopeful eyes and I caved.

Me, Wolverine, badass, found myself saying, "Sure darlin', whatever you want."

And if I still have my Man Card, it's because the revocation board is takin' a friggin' nap.

We rode the rides and played a few games, including the one with the balloons and the water guns. The little green kid's got a good eye and a steady hand; maybe I'll take him out to the firing range next week. We fed them pizza and hot dogs and I did get to feed Marie cotton candy, even if I had to endure the starry-eyed stares and the deep sighs of three twelve year old girls. I drew the line at the carousel, and ended up sitting on a bench holding all their coats and prizes and stuff.

And I got to growl.

A lot.

Taking 6 children anywhere has got to be an experience, but when the children in question are mutants, four of them really obvious... let's just say I knew people could be nasty and cruel, but I didn't think they'd actually say those things publicly, to children.

I'll admit even I was shocked the first time I saw Arte with his green skin and Warren with blue skin AND wings, and Andrea, well those spikes'll certainly come in handy when she starts dating, and it wasn't everybody. There were actually quite a few people who, after the initial shock, treated us like everybody else. But there were comments... and pointing... and with my sensitive hearing, I caught just about every one of the slurs.

It's quite amazing how bold people are. I sorta expected it, but dammit, they're just kids. It's not like they can help it.

But watching the joy on their faces, I figure it won't be too long until the next outing. If they can take it, so can I.

We were all taking all the stares, pointing, and cruel comments in stride. Most people gave us a wide birth, either because they kids were clearly mutants, or because I was glaring and growling at anyone who stared, but as the night wore on Marie was getting fidgety. There were just too many people and some of the comments were truly ugly and it was getting close to the kids' bedtime. We were gonna get ice cream and head home.

My girl likes her ice cream.

So here we were, Big Bad Wolverine sitting at a picnic table with half a dozen kids eating ice cream, happily watching Marie lick at the ice cream threatening to drip onto her glove.

I should have known. Things were just going too well. Then a group of teenagers decided to be stupid.

Teenagers are generally stupid. Except for my Marie, of course, and she's not really a teenager with bucket-head and me rattlin' around in her brain. And teenaged boys in a group are probably the stupidest creatures on the planet. Their only competition may be groups of drunk red necks, but hey, I made my living off drunk red necks for fifteen years.

This group was particularly stupid. Five of them decided to block Andrea from returning from the trash can.

Up to this point I'd shown remarkable restraint. Sure I growled and glared, but I hadn't actually hit anyone. Andrea's soft, "Please don't. Leave me alone," ripped right through my heart. Memories of being strapped inside the Statue of Liberty while Marie screamed for help bubbled to the surface. I'd almost lost her that night and the protectiveness I felt for her, just extended itself to Andrea. I wasn't going to let another little girl get hurt.

"Back off, bub." That's good. Fair warning. Civilized even. The geeks at Xavier's must be rubbing off, but smelling Andrea's fear, my claws still itched to come out. But I held back. The kids didn't need their first outing to turn into a bloodbath.

"This little freak yours?" I went from annoyed to angry, 'cause yeah she was, just like Marie was mine. Andrea tried to pull away, to get to me, and the little punk grabbed her. Angry turned into pissed off and I swung, not caring what kind of damage I did, just so that punk got his hands off her.

Then all hell broke loose. Evidently, some people who had earlier been content to stare and make comments decided beating up a mutant lover was gonna be good sport. Unfortunately for them, Marie and the children could do a pretty fine job of protecting themselves while I got to have a little fun.

I looked up and there was only one kid still standing. I think my smile must have scared him, cause instead of coming at me he turned and ran.

I shoved the rage back down and turned to find Marie, Arte, Pete, Sally and Chandler in a wide circle around Warren and Caroline. From the scorch marks on the side of the building and the moaning bodies on the ground, they'd put up quite a fight.

Logan approached slowly. Sally was still panicky, evidenced by the way the trash cans were rattling ominously.

Marie stood, breathing heavily, but not making any attempt at retreat, despite the fact that the threat was gone and the police sirens fast approaching. I grabbed her arm and pulled. "Marie, baby, we gotta go."

But Marie wasn't listening. In fact, looking in her eyes, I realized Marie wasn't home at all.

Then I saw the gloves. On the ground. And understood why there were four bodies twitching at her feet. Shit. At least Marie didn't fight me as I shoved her and the kids in the car.

"Freeze!"

Christ, they still say that? But I froze. I had to worry about Marie and the kids, and while the police probably wouldn't treat a group of mutants too well, it was better than the growing mob.

Which is how I got to the part where I'm handcuffed to the chair answering this idiot's questions. If it hadn't been for Wheels going on the brain-phone and letting me know they were all okay we could've been doing a version of the police station scent from Terminator while I looked for them. But he said everything was fine, and I trust him. Never thought I'd ever say that about anybody but Marie, but I do. So I'm reasonably calm and answering Dipshit's questions. - No, I did not kidnap the children. I am their teacher. Yes, their teacher. Yes, I know they're mutants. Like I could flamin' miss that. No, I didn't start it. We we're just getting' some ice cream...

Xavier finally arrived and got it all sorted out so we could go home. Self-Defense. No charges. Damn, I should've hooked up with Chuck years ago. Might have saved me some serious evasion time.

Ran into Marie in the hall as Xavier got us all released. Couldn't wait to hold her and make sure she was okay. I trust Chuck and all, but some things you just gotta see for yourself. She looks okay, smiling and all. That's good. Kids look okay too. Warren's got a bandage on his forehead and Caroline's arm is in a sling, but otherwise looks pretty good.

"Sugar?"

I groaned, hearing the word that started this mess. "Yeah darlin'?" This must be what a moth feels like. I mean I know it's coming, but I'm walkin' right in, flyin' right into that flame.

"Next weekend the new Disney movie comes out and..."

"Sure baby. We can take the kids."

She smiled, and there's nothin' better than a Marie smile. Except not getting turned away at her bedroom door. But that story comes later.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1427