Voyage by Dark Ferrett
Summary: On a voyage to a New World, a high society princess gets tossed into the unlikeliest of situations with a sailor she detests.
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Drama
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 78949 Read: 128721 Published: 03/19/2001 Updated: 03/19/2001

1. Chapter 1 by Dark Ferrett

2. Chapter 2 by Dark Ferrett

3. Chapter 3 by Dark Ferrett

4. Chapter 4 by Dark Ferrett

5. Chapter 5 by Dark Ferrett

6. Chapter 6 by Dark Ferrett

7. Chapter 7 by Dark Ferrett

8. Chapter 8 by Dark Ferrett

9. Chapter 9 by Dark Ferrett

10. Chapter 10 by Dark Ferrett

11. Chapter 11 by Dark Ferrett

12. Chapter 12 by Dark Ferrett

13. Chapter 13 by Dark Ferrett

14. Chapter 14 by Dark Ferrett

15. Chapter 15 by Dark Ferrett

16. Chapter 16 by Dark Ferrett

17. Chapter 17 by Dark Ferrett

18. Chapter 18 by Dark Ferrett

Chapter 1 by Dark Ferrett
Author's Notes:
Aquarius & Dala, this fic's for you. This is my ode to Robert Louis Stevenson's classic. That and The Blue Lagoon. Sorry folks the cliché factor is high on this one. Blame it on Tom Hanks. Also, I tortured historical events, facts, accents, and geography, oh well. Next up, a sequel to 'Run', guaranteed before Christmas.
I. Petticoats and Sweat

Marie Xavier peered out of the carriage window in disdain. It was unbearably hot in the confined velvet enclosure, but the smell of salt and fish outside on the wharf was little better. She quickly settled back in her seat, frustrated again at the insane logic that propelled so many of her father's actions. The gentleman seated across from her paused in his conversation with her sister and smiled at his fiancé's impatience.

"Really my petit, we will be moving soon."

Biting the inside of her cheek to keep from saying something inappropriate, Marie straightened out her posture and looked down at her crocheted gloves. She knew she was being rude, but the severity of the situation she found herself in was dire. In only a short time she would be crossing into the unknown, leaving behind all she knew and all she loved to follow someone else's dream. She looked up at Monsieur Lebeau, all luxurious attire and flattery and her sister Kitty sitting by him. Even though she would miss them sorely, they did not understand.

"I apologize Monsieur for my unpleasant company, I am quite nervous."

His laughing eyes turned slightly darker and without precedence, he crossed the space between them and settled his long, angular frame by hers. The bold move surprised Marie and she briefly wondered what was taking their chaperone so long. Kitty covered her giggle with her gloves, no doubt staining them with the liptint she wore.

"But mon ami, you are noting but a pleasure. You should not concern your belle self about dese tings. Captain Magnus is an experienced traveller."

Marie looked down at her lap. He had taken one of her hands in his gloved ones. Kitty looked like she was about to burst in excitement.

"Yes, Marie Elizabeth, your trip will be dreadfully uneventful, you'll see."

"I am not scared as I am worried Katherine. I have confidence in the good Captain, it's simply that..."

Lebeau's warm laughter stopped her short. He brought her hand to his lips and planted a soft kiss. Kitty's eyes widened to the size of saucers.

"Mon petit, you are always tinking too much. That is why Remy adore you so."

Marie held her breath at his proximity. The handsome gentleman by her always managed to take her breath away with his charm. She couldn't prevent her blush any more than she could his chuckle at it.

"You are most flattering Monsieur."

"Remy speak only de truth, mon ami. You have this poor man's heart in your belle hands."

He turned to smile at Kitty, who seemed to whither in giggly agreement. He planted another kiss on her hand. This one more lingering than the last. Marie ventured a look up into the curious eyes she had come to accept as her destiny. They looked back at her in amusement and Marie felt herself grow even hotter at the prospect of the handsome lawyer kissing her. He had done it once before, on the terrace after asking her father for her hand. It was simply glorious but Marie knew she couldn't allow herself such stolen moments. Her mother, god bless her beautiful soul, would surely be disappointed. And it would set a horrible example to Kitty. After all, at seventeen she was only one year away from being bethroved as well. Flustering under his continuous gaze, Marie retrieved her hand and inched slightly down on the seat.

"Monsieur, still your words speak flattery."

Knowing he couldn't push his luck with a lady of her caliber, Monsieur Lebeau settled back into the plush velvet seating with a knowing smile.

"Remy will miss you sorely mon petit, an dat is de truth."

Marie breathed a nervous sigh of relief and smoothed out her ice blue skirts. Before she could venture a response, the door to the carriage swung open and their chaperone eyed the Monsieur's new position by her.

"My ladies, the preparations are complete and they are ready to board."

Kitty clasped her hands excitedly.

"Marie Elizabeth how exciting!"

St. John, one of her father's most trusted aids, offered his hand to the younger lady and she took it without pause. The Monsieur helped her sister as well and when it was Marie's turn he gripped her waist tightly, planting her firmly on the cobblestone beneath them with a lingering touch. Marie smoothed out her skirts and hooked her arm around his. In the morning sun, the Monsieur was truly handsome in his purple overcoat and tall riding boots. She felt the blush return and quickly opened her umbrella.

"Thank you Monsieur, you most kind."

He responded with a dazzling smile and Marie found it hard to look away. Eventually Kitty's prattling forced her to. She was carrying on incessantly over the ship this and that, until the Monsieur mercifully stopped her by offering his escort. Kitty latched onto his other arm with a blush and Monsieur Lebeau walked both girls down the dock while St. John struggled with Marie's last minute luggage.

The conversation was pleasant enough, but Marie's heart wasn't in it. Looming before them high above the water was the 'Esmeralda'. It stood tall and proud. It should have instilled confidence in her, but it only managed to faintly stir her anger. She didn't understand. She didn't want to understand. She loved her father dearly and ached to see him again, but it was so unfair. So unfair.

Sensing her relapse in mood, Monsieur Lebeau came to a stop and asked Kitty for a moment. The dock all around them buzzed with men coming and going. There was a huge ramp to one side and they were loading equipment up onto the massive ship busily. Kitty was suddenly dismayed at the prospect of brushing up against one of them and St. John noticed her expression so he went to stand by her. She clung to his arm and resumed her busy chatting trying not to notice the straining, sweaty sailors all around her.

Marie's mind was far from the men surrounding her. She was looking straight at Monsieur Lebeau's glimmering tiepin.

"It'll be fine my chere, it is only eight months and then we will be married."

Marie sighed heavily.

"It is so unfair Monsieur. Are you positive that you cannot join me?"

He gathered her closer to him in a half embrace, mindful of St. John's careful watch.

"You must understand chere, this business deal is important. Once it is complete, we can be together in the Americas. It will insure our prosperity."

Marie looked up into the handsome face. She knew she was being childish. It was only eight months and then she would be his wife. She managed a weak smile. She wanted to cry, but she didn't want him to remember their last meeting as a bad one.

"You are right Monsieur. It is only a few months and it is worth the wait."

He smiled at that and brought her hand up to his lips again. Despite her agitation, the action had a soothing effect. She smiled faintly and Lebeau briefly wondered if he could manage a quick kiss before her chaperone objected.

Still debating, he was about to attempt the foolish when a loud thump and crack sounded behind them. A second later a rush of liquid brushed over their feet, causing Marie to squeal and jump back. Luckily, Lebeau still had a grip on her, so she stumbled but didn't fall, but her carefully pressed satin skirts were ruined. Still feeling the rush of liquid, the French lawyer turned to see who was responsible. What he found was a scared boy who had dropped a cask of ale he was rolling up the plank. Still standing among the wooden strips of the cracked cask he tried to explain to the gentleman it was an accident.

"I, sir, it was an accident. I beg your forgiveness."

"Accident, you mogrel!! You're carelessness has disgraced this lady!"

Marie looked pleadingly at St. John. The calmer man stepped forward to temper the feisty lawyer, but Kitty's panicked grip on his arm slowed him down.

"Monsieur Lebeau, perhaps it is wiser..."

Lebeau ignored the pleas of St. John, and brought back the flap of his waistcoat to reveal a shining silver gun. No-one behind him saw, but the young boy's eyes widened in fear.

"Sir!! Please..."

Before the boy could complete his pleading, an unseen man jumped down on the wharf from where he was checking the overhead rigging of the Esmeralda. His worn black boots landed hard and unexpectedly on the dock and in a lightening quick movement he pulled the boy behind him. Kitty shrieked and hid her face into St. John. Marie ran to him as well, her skirts sloshing against her ankles. The entire commotion on the wharf stopped to watch the standoff. Lebeau just stared at the apparition that so quickly materialized before him. His face was pulled into a snarl, contorting his features into a hard mask.

"It was an accident."

Lebeau's leather encased fingers flexed as if to reach for his weapon, but he never even got to reach the pearlized handle. The other man knew inexperience when he saw it. With a grin, he withdrew a knife he had tucked into the back of his waist before the Frenchman could finish reaching for his weapon. The movement was so quick, the crowd didn't realize that he had a knife until he tilted it faintly in the sun. The smooth blade shimmered and Lebeau's eyes widened at the implication.

"Yer a little slow on the uptake there, bub."

The crowd of men surrounding the place burst into laughter. They knew the Wolverine well and it was never unamusing to see him in action. Lebeau looked at the faces around him in confusion and anger. He knew he was outmaned and bore his eyes into the man grinning at his expense.

"How dare you insult me??"

The man's smile vanished and the more dangerous scowl returned. Panicked from where she stood, Marie clutched at her skirts and took a step forward.

"Monsieur!!"

Lebeau turned at the voice. He had forgotten she was there. Seeing the gun now, Marie gulped and clenched her fingers tightly. She had never seen violence before, but she was not going to allow harm to come to her fiancé. She unwittingly had everyone's attention so she stepped forward despite the fear consuming her from the inside out.

"Don't bother with that ruffian. Do not lower yourself to his barbarianism!"

To her dismay, the men around her burst into laughter again. Even the boy behind Logan chuckled. For them this little drama was the best they had seen in a long time. She eyed them warily, crossing her arms at her waist in a bout of sudden insecurity. Lebeau was watching her in disbelief with mouth hanging open. Behind him, the Wolverine resheathed his knife into the small of his back with a grin.

"The lady is right, you should run along before you get hurt."

Lebeau turned his furious gaze on him before deciding that he was no match for the shorter man. Swallowing his wounded pride, he opted for retreat. Giving the boy a last damning look, he turned and walked stiffly back to Marie.



The Wolverine laughed at his back and settled his sights on the girl the Frenchman hastily ushered over to the waiting other two. She had a curious white streak in her hair that seemed so out of place in her youthful face. He could hear the swishing sounds her wet skirts were making. He hadn't thought twice about gutting the French bastard, but the girl's bravery had stopped him. As if sensing his eyes on her back, she turned around and gave him a furious look. That caused him to laugh even harder. He barely noticed the Captain until he felt his arm patting him on the back.

"Logan! You have been playing with our precious cargo, my boy!!"

He straightened out for a minute.

"Don't tell me that neuvo-riche tight-ass is actua..."

The Captain burst into uproarious laughter that made his entire massive frame shake.

"No, no dear boy!! Just the girl and her servant."

Logan looked at the girl again. She was hugging and smoothing over the younger one.

"That's good."

The Captain slowed down his laughing and rubbed his bulging stomach.

"Don't even think about it Logan, it's not wise."

He put a heavy arm around the lesser man and Logan could see that the Captain was thinking some of those thoughts himself.

"She's worth a fortune. An Xavier. And my job is to get her to daddy and collect my handsome fee, worth a whole season's work, so don't even look my boy!"

Logan crossed his arms in disdain.

"Never had a taste for high society. Nothin' but trouble."

At that the Captain burst into roaring laughter again, he pounded Logan's back before stepping forward.

"And that is the god-fearing truth my boy! I've had to add costly provisions to make sure she is comfortable, but Daddy paid half in advance, so comfortable she will be!! Now get back to work while I smooth over my precious cargo."

With that the Captain hobbled away on his cane. Logan spat on the wharf before wiping the sweat of his brow and resuming the work he was interrupted from.



Marie glanced at the man laughing at her from across the wharf. Not sure her day could get any worse, she clung to Kitty in vain efforts to calm her nerves.

"Please Katherine, don't cry. It'll be all right."

The younger girl dabbled her embroidered handkerchief across her eyes.

"I'm going to miss you so much Marie Elizabeth. This will be the longest two months without you."

Marie smiled at the girl's genuineness. She was positively the sweetest person she had ever known and they had never been separated that long. But Kitty had to finish her semester at Madam Witherstone's School for Ladies. News of her father's illness was forcing Marie to leave earlier than scheduled, but they both understood that she had no choice. Poppa needed her and she had to go.

"I know Kitty dear, put it'll end soon enough and we'll be together you'll see."

Slowly, Kitty regained some composure.

"Yes, it will go quick and we'll be with Poppa once again."

Marie sighed at the thought. Even though she wouldn't be a spring bride in London, she would at least be with her beloved father. Kitty saw her furlonged expression and remembered the little something she had brought along. Opening the silk pouch she had hanging off her wrist, she retrieved a golden cross.

"Marie Elizabeth you must have this. It will keep you safe on your voyage."

Marie blinked back the tears forming in her eyes. Taking the chain reverently, she hugged her sister tightly.

"Thank you Katherine. I won't take it off even once until we are reunited again."

That earned her a smile and Marie looked up at the feel of Monsieur Lebeau's hand on her back.

"Let me put that on my dear."

Marie handed him the chain with a smile and her fiancé proceeded to take his time securing it around her neck. Kitty started giggling again and Marie sighed happily, even though the bottom third of her skirts were soaked and increasingly heavy.

Still cursing the damn sailor who laughed at her, she caught the smile St. John gave Kitty. For the hundredth time Marie felt saddened at the unfortunate luck that had prevented St. John from being born into a higher status. She caught all of the looks he gave her sister and deep in her heart she knew his love for her ran deep. But Kitty was already being courted by several gentlemen and it would be inevitable that she be married soon. Still contemplating the injustice of the situation, Marie jumped at the sound of a hearty laugh approaching. She was about to ask who he was when St. John went to greet him.

"Captain Magnus, greetings."

The enormous man gave St. John a pat on the back that almost sent him flying. Lebeau finally finished with her necklace and stood guard behind them.

"I am well my boy!! And these charming ladies?"

Kitty and Marie curtsied in perfectly rehearsed unison.

"This is Katherine Ann and Marie Elizabeth, daughters of Sir Charles Francis Xavier."

The Captain eyed the girls carefully before removing his wide hat and kissing each of their hands.

"I am Captain Erik Magnus, at your loyal service."

Not one to be left out of a conversation, Lebeau stepped forward. St. John continued the introductions.

"And this is Monsieur Rembrant Lebeau, esquire."

He took the pause after the introduction to quickly make his case.

"Captain Magnus, your reputation as a noble and courageous man precede you, but as the fiancé to Miss Marie Elizabeth, I must beg a favor. I believe there is a member of your crew..."

The Captain chuckled deep in his throat. He knew what was coming but he couldn't loose Logan on this voyage. He had heard rumors and he was just too damn a good entertainment to leave behind on such a long trip.

"My dear boy, I assure you he is harmless. Now if you please, My lady must board quickly. We must make good time."

With that the Captain turned to speak to St. John again hoping that the matter would drop. Lebeau deflated significantly, but turned his attentions to Marie who had her hand on his arm.

"Monsieur, I must bid you good-bye now."

He took her hands in his and snuck a look to St. John. He was occupied with the Captain so he leaned over and planted a quick kiss on Marie's lips before she had a chance to react. But react she did. She turned a complete shade of red and held a hand to her lips.

"Monsieur!"

"Don't worry my belle, we will be together soon."

Marie smiled and turned the ring she wore on her finger round and round.

"Yes, we will be together soon."

She disentangled her hand from his and went to Kitty who was still enthralled by the grandiosity that was Captain Magnus. Giving her sister a final tear-filled hug and kiss, she waved good-bye at the two people she was leaving behind as St. John and Captain Magnus escorted her up the ramp and to what would be her new home for the next three weeks. Logan watched the entire scene in between checking the riggings high up in the ship's sails. They had never had a passenger like the girl, and it would certainly make for an interesting trip.
Chapter 2 by Dark Ferrett
II. Rosewater and Seasickness

Marie was on deck when the Esmeralda left port. Still waving and occasionally blowing kisses at her sister on the wharf below, she laughed at the precociousness that allowed her to hang out of the carriage window and wave. Catching the laughter in St. John as well, she turned sadly to the man that had served her family so well all his young life.

"You'll miss her, St. John."

He tightened his jaw on reflex and dropped his lazy smile. He did it whenever he remembered his position.

"Yes, my lady."

Marie's smile faded subtly as well and she unconsciously felt along the cross hanging off her neck.

"I'll miss her too."

Finally far enough not to see her father's carriage anymore, Marie now turned to look at the ship for the first time. St. John informed her it was a merchant ship, so it was far from luxurious, mostly just storage rooms down below, but at least it was clean. The deck was simple and she imagined below decks it was as well. The Captain had set a chair by a quiet spot on the portside, so Marie figured she was going to do a whole lot of reading and staring at the horizon if nothing else.

Asking St. John to show her her quarters, Marie was pleased to see her steamtrunks already there. Sorting through her things, she sent St. John to fetch her hot water for a bath before slipping out of her ruined dress and into a robe. When there was knocking at her door some time later, she flew to it, swinging it open without a thought.

"Finally, I've been wa......"

She shrieked and jumped back at the sight before her. The man from the wharf looked at her in sheer annoyance. He was carrying huge pails of steaming water in either hands.

"May I come in?"

Marie stared at him in disgust for a few minutes. He was wearing a dirty white billowy shirt tucked into black trousers and those horrid, unpolished, enormous boots. She could see he was straining, but she really didn't want him in her room. Especially after what he did to Remy.

"Where's St. John?"

Logan looked at her in growing exasperation. His muscles were straining to the point where they felt like they were going to break and she was barking questions at him.

"Can I please come in?"

Marie let an ounce of compassion penetrate her dislike of the man and stepped to the side. Logan exhaled in relief and set the pails down by the tub. He paused and flexed his numb hands for a minute and Marie eyed him suspiciously.

"Where's St. John I asked?"

He turned at her with a huff of disbelief.

"Your lap dog is getting more water for your bath, your highness."

Marie opened her eyes incredulously.

"How dare you address me..."

"What's going on?"

St. John appeared at the door huffing and puffing with another pail. He set it down with a grunt, letting some of the hot water splash to the floor. Marie looked at him numbly while Logan chortled and stomped out wordlessly. St. John just looked at her all out of breath and dangerously green. Still fuming, but concerned, Marie went to put a hand on his forehead.

"What's wrong St. John? You don't look well at all."

The man just shook his head and felt his stomach.

"It started a short while ago. The cook says it's seasickness, that some people are just..."

He burped and some of his breakfast almost made a repeat appearance. Marie held her own stomach in response. He looked in no condition to be on his feet.

"St. John, I think you should go lie down. Did he say what to do?"

He shook his head.

"Said I should take it easy, chew on gingerroot and have enough water."

Marie ran her fingers through her hair in desperation. This was not part of the plan.

"I think you should retire early St. John, I can stay in for now. Please, go rest."

The man agreed quickly and staggered out. He had a room next to hers and Marie wondered idly if he would be sick the next day. Turning to the three pails still in her room, she sighed again. There was no way she could move them filled to the brim, so with a scowl, she went in search of her basin to start emptying the water slowly into her tub.

By the time she eased into the water it was warm and a few minutes later it was tepid. Scrubbing down quickly before she froze to death, Marie changed into a fresh nightgown and went to bed early. Unfortunately she discovered that the bed was hard, having only one mattress covering it. Lighting candles to read by a short while later when she couldn't fall asleep, Marie's stomach growled. Remembering that she couldn't even go and ask for food unescorted, she threw her book across the room in anger. She was alone, uncomfortable, and hungry. Not a good start to a three week voyage.



The next morning Marie got dressed early and sat on her bed to wait for St. John. An hour later she was still waiting, so she debated what to do. Eventually her stomach growled again and she made up her mind to go find him. Slipping out of her room quietly, she eased across to the door next to hers. Knocking on it gently, she called to him.

"St. John, St. John, wake up. St. John please wake up, It's Marie Elizabeth."

She went to knock again, when the door flung open and an enormous black man covered the doorframe.

"I, I'm looking for..."

"Her lap dog."

The voice came from behind, and Marie jumped around to meet the detested man again. In the narrow hallway he was real close, so she took a step back, which only caused her to step on the tall black man's toes.

"Ohh, I'm so sorry sir, I..."

He grumbled and crossed his arms before slamming the door shut in her face. The Wolverine chuckled behind her and she turned to him again with what he knew was contempt.

"St. John is not my lap dog! Mind your manners, sir. He is a loyal, trustworthy member of my family."

He snorted.

"Like I said, a lapdog."

Marie was about to retort when he put a hand up.

"Save it your highness, he's in the infirmary and he's not gonna be fetching anytime soon."

He was already halfway down the hall when Marie realized what he was saying.

"Don't turn your back on me! Take me to see him!"

He threw her an answer over his shoulder without pausing.

"Find him yourself."

Marie stood watching his retreat in shock. She had never been dismissed like that in her life. Stomping her foot in impotence, she charged down the hallways in search of the infirmary forgetting the fact that she didn't have an escort and that she didn't know where she was going. Asking several curious men she bumped into along the way for the infirmary and getting only laughter in response, she settled on asking for the Captain. Making it up on deck after half an hour of searching, she straightened out and walked haughtily to where the Captain was barking orders. He didn't see her approach and was in a notoriously bad mood, so most of the men on deck stopped their work to watch the show. Logan watched also, from the rigging high above everything. He figured she would have crawled back into her room, but was genuinely surprised to see her grabbing the bull by the horns, literally.

"Excuse me sir, pardon me sir."

The Captain was still barking coordinates, so she tapped him with her gloved hands on the shoulder. He whirled around with his cane in the air.

"What is it!!!"

Marie took a shaky step back and cleared her throat. She was suddenly wary of the man's enormous girth.

"Captain sir, I would like a word with you."

Seeing that his little fortune was almost in tears, Captain Magnus quickly drove his cane back to the ground again and turned on his smarmiest smile. To everyone's disbelief he pulled out his chair and offered it to her.

"Oh my dear, I did not see you, I was too busy with this infernal crew, what is troubling you so?

Marie shrunk into the oversized chair and sniffled. She had wanted to speak to the Captain like an equal, but now she only wanted to cry. Huge tears were gathering in her large green eyes and she withdrew a handkerchief from somewhere in her bodice to dab at them.

"I apologize Captain sir, but I can't seem to find my escort, he's in the infirmary somewhere and I was lost and I'm terribly hungry and, and I can't find my quarters..."

At that Marie started crying wholeheartedly. She needed her sister and her trip was going to be harder than she thought. Trying desperately to avert any hysterics, Captain Magnus patted her head grandfatherly, uttering soothing words of encouragement. Feeling incredibly childish, Marie wiped at her nose and looked up.

"You must think I am so silly."

The Captain shook his head vehemently.

"No, no, dear child, You are not silly. These are injustices. Now stay here and I will come back in a minute. I assure you all will be all right."

He stood up with great effort and started walking away with a determined look on his face. Everyone that was watching the drama and pretending to work, tried to ease away before it happened. But it was too late. The minute he was out of Marie's range it began. Grabbing anyone he could, Captain Magnus started cursing and throwing things and yelling about how his precious cargo was being treated. Spotting Logan still hanging off some ropes, he narrowed his eyes.

"Logan, get down here you son of whore, we have to talk!!!"

Logan jumped down and stared at the Captain ruefully. He couldn't remember the last time he was reprimanded and it was all her majesty's fault.

"Don't gimme that look boy, you got the biggest share of the blame!! Now you're gonna get that girl her bathwater every fucking damn day with a smile!! And I better not see her sick!!"

Logan growled, but stayed in place.

"Infirmary!! Infirmary my ass!!!! Bishop, get the cook to bring something up here now!! Cable!! Bobby!! Where the fuck is Bobby????"

His piece of the yelling over with, Logan flexed his hands and started climbing the rigging again. Watching the commotion the Captain was stirring down below, he snorted. Over a girl. A damned stuck-up, pampered, ungrateful, spoiled little rich girl. Spotting her majesty still dabbing her eyes on the other end of the ship, up by the Captain's wheel, Logan cursed under his breath for another good half hour.



Munching quietly on her tea biscuit, Marie looked up from her book and tucked the shawl she was wearing a little tighter around herself. The sun was setting soon and the water was a wonderful orange color. In the week she had been on board, it had quickly become Marie's favorite part of the day.

"St. John come see..."

Marie stopped herself in sad realization. She had gone to see St. John several times that day. He was definitely not getting better and she was sure he wouldn't be better until they were on solid ground. For now she had Bobby. He was the youngest member of the twenty-twohand crew and a sweetheart by nature. It was the same boy that spilled the ale on the wharf. His punishment was apparently to be her escort, get her food and keep her company, but Marie couldn't begruge him at all.

They spent their entire days just sitting on deck and talking or visiting St. John. It was interesting in a way because he was a chatterbox that reminded her so much of Kitty. Which was good, because he told her everything he knew about sailing and she was teaching him how etiquette. It wasn't like she was ever going to sail or he have tea with aristocracy, but at least they knew, and that was satisfying enough.

"Come see Bobby. It's beautiful."

Bobby wrinkled his nose and pointed at the horizon.

"It is, but you see the purple by the water? That means there's a storm coming. We're pretty south and it's always real calm before a storm blows in."

Marie absorbed the information thoughtfully. It had been incredibly nice. Mild enough even for a shawl.

"Well, then I guess we should be heading in. Almost time for my bath."

Bobby gathered her books and umbrella and led the way.

"Sure thing Miss Marie Elizabeth. I wanna be in early tonight anyways."

Marie smiled at the boy's clumsy eagerness. It was so unlike St. John's quiet and reserved demeanor. When she was finally alone in her room, Marie undressed and waited. The clock on the wall said seven and still he hadn't come. Deciding to write in her journal while she waited, Marie lay on her bed and tried to recall everything about sailing that Bobby had told her that day. Sleepy from still having bad nights on her uncomfortable bed, Marie eventually leaned her face into her journal and fell asleep.


The next sound she heard was a thump as two massive pails were dropped on her floor. It was the barbarian character and angry that he entered her room without knocking, Marie sprung up and started what had become her daily berage.

"What do you think you're doing, coming in here without knocking?"

Logan just shuffled out into the hallway for the third pail.

"I did knock your highness, but you were too busy ..reading.. to notice."

Marie crossed her arms in frustration.

"Why must every night be an argument? I've never met a less agreeable perso......"

Marie trailed off when she spotted the huge purple bruise on Logan's face. He was dumping the pails of steaming boiled water into the tub, when she went to him.

"Mr. Logan, what is that on your face?"

She went around the tub to get a better look, but he shifted his head so that his long hair covered his face.

"It's nothing, did you want something else?"

Without waiting for an answer, he turned to leave. She ran to cut off his path at the door.

"Yes, I want to see your face."

More in frustration than willingness or cooperation, Logan raised his face to protest. Marie gasped at the damage inflicted there.

"Oh my lord, what happened to you, did someone hurt you?"

Logan snorted at the question. No-one had ever asked him that.

"No, I got into a fight."

Marie crinkled her face at the thought.

"A fight?"

Logan crossed his arms in amusement.

"Yes, a fight with fists, now if we're done, good night your majesty."

He went to move around her, put Marie grabbed him by the arm.

"No, you must clean those out. This is no good."

Logan raised an eyebrow. She had never touched him. As a matter of fact, she went out of her way to make sure she didn't touch him. More out of surprise than anything, he let himself get pulled to her vanity and sat down stiffly on the satiny pillow. She left him there and went off to open boxes and things, mumbling to herself all the while.

"What are you doing your highness?"

She dropped a bottle she was holding out of frustration and turned around.

"Please stop calling me that. It is really rather inappropriate."

Logan grinned. He knew her name was Marie something, but your highness seemed so much more fitting. He was about to say that when she bent down to pick up the bottle she had dropped. The movement caused her robe to open and he caught an unbelievable flash of leg. All the way up to her thigh where there was a lacy hem. Eyes wide, he watched her absently straighten out and continue her gathering of knick-knacks. Image of creamy skin burned into his head, he wondered briefly what her skin would feel like under his hands. Not prepared to entertain those thoughts, Logan went to get up and leave when she walked over and settled her toiletries on the vanity. She caught him by the arm again.

"You can't leave Mr. Logan, I'm going to clean your wounds."

Logan wrinkled his face at her.

"Wounds?"

She opened some bottles and pulled his face back. Pinning his long black hair behind his ears, she began dabbing a washcloth to his face.

"Yes wounds. Now, if I were you, I'd tell Captain Magnus exactly what went on tonight first thing in the morning."

Logan blinked a few times before bursting into laughter. Marie stared at him cluelessly. It took him almost a full minute to stop his roaring laughter enough to talk.

"You think somebody just picked on me?"

"Well yes, why else would you be hurt so?"

He shook his head in amazement. For an educated person, she was really dense.

"Darling, I fight for silver. We do it every week in the galley."

Now Marie was totally confused. She sat down on the edge of the tub slowly.

"You mean you fight on purpose?"

She said the words slowly, with her head cocked to the side, no doubt pondering why. Logan leaned back on the vanity still chuckling. He was getting a kick out of watching Marie's baffled expression until his gaze involuntarily swept down her body. Her ivory robe had about two dozen buttons from her chin down to her waist. But the full skirt bottom was buttonless and askew again, this time showing a sizeable amount of leg from the knee down. He cleared his throat and Marie slowly stood up again, completely unaware of what she was doing to him.

"I refuse to believe that grown men could act so..."

"Barbarian?"

Marie ignored the reference to the day on the wharf and started dabbing at his face again.

"I was going to say careless. Especially over money. You can really hurt yourself."

She rinsed out the washcloth in a basin and added something to the water.

"What's that?"

She held up a bottle with amber liquid.

"This? It's rosewater, it'll help with swelling."

Logan sniffed at the basin doubtfully.

"It's perfume."

"No, I mean yes it's used for perfume, but it's also a remedy."

She took advantage of his moment of hesitation and brought the washcloth back up to his face. Perfume or not, the warm scented water felt great on his swollen face. And so did her hands. Logan could hardly remember seeing her out of those damn white gloves, but they obviously worked wonders for her porcelain skin. He had worked off the South Seas once, hauling bolts of Asian silk for trade, and her smooth hands felt exactly like the silk had - priceless. They felt amazing even when they were disturbing aching flesh, especially when they were running through his hair. Absentmindedly, Logan refocused to what she was saying. He settled his eyes straight ahead. Seeing the outline of her shape without a corset in the satiny robe, he closed his eyes instead.

"I volunteered my services regularly at St. Mary's hospital. Me and my sister Kitty. Although she preferred the orphanages. Either way for me. We must do our share for the common folk our poppa says. It's part of our charity work with the sisters and they use this there all the time."

Logan huffed. It figured. He opened his eyes and his hands were suddenly around her wrists.

"So that's what this is, charity work? You feel pity for the poor animal too stupid not to walk into a fist?"

Marie gaped at the pressure as well as the harsh tone of voice. The rough callused hands scraped at her skin.

"You're hurting me. Please let go."

He looked down and saw her fingers turning slightly purple. He let go immediately and finally standing addressed her one last time before stomping off.

"I may not be a refined gentlemen like your Frenchman, but at least I know myself well enough to know that prejudice has no place in me. You've been told your whole life you're special because of your name, but it doesn't mean shit and you are no better than anyone else."

Marie gasped and covered her mouth with a still tingling hand. She was about to respond but in a flash he was gone and her door reverberated with the slamming he gave it. Not sure what she said to upset him, she slid down to the vanity seat he had just been on. It was still warm. With tears in her eyes, she flung the washcloth she was still holding into the tub of now cold water. He was a barbarian. Crawling into her bed still in her robe, she closed her eyes and willed the remaining time of her voyage to just fly by. She hated him. He was wrong. She was not prejudiced. Kitty wasn't prejudiced either and her father was the most noble man she knew. Racking with sobs at the memory of her father's warm smile, Marie took his last letter that was tucked in her journal book and clutched it to her chest until she cried herself asleep.



Logan was stalking down the corridors to his quarters when he decided he was in no condition to sleep. Taking the short flight of stairs up instead of down, he stepped onto the ship's deck and stomped over to the stern. The ship was tilted slightly, moving fast with the current. Spitting once into the pitch black water below, he cursed himself for being a fool. He didn't want to admit it, but it was true. He liked her, Damn near watched her for hours all week reading and lounging from up in the rigging. Wishing he knew what she read about, what she wrote about, what she said to Bobby. He was falling for her, a royal pain in the ass that saw him only like some stupid fucking animal. Someone to clean up when he didn't know any better and give orders to when she needed something. Someone to never see again after this trip.

Giving out one last curse through clenched teeth, Logan walked back down below ship. It was laughable. That girl would be back in Daddy's arm, in her big dresses, thumbing her nose at people in no-time. She and the French bastard deserved each other. They were the same. He slammed into his bunk with that very thought. They deserved each other. Only he could still smell it on him. Rosewater. He could still feel her hands on him. Silk. She looked like she cared when she cleaned him up. Looked nothing like she did when she sat like a queen in her chair. Maybe she did care a little but it still didn't make enough of a difference. He was a grunt and she was a princess, and in the real world the two never mixed. Still smelling the scent of rosewater on himself, Logan fell into a fitful sleep not unlike Marie's one floor above.
Chapter 3 by Dark Ferrett
III. Pirates and Canons

Marie found it hard to get out of her miserable bed the next day. Bobby came to get her promptly at nine, but she was in no mood to sit above deck. Lest she see him. The barbarian that had done nothing but insult her every chance he got. Still clutching her father's letter, the one that begged her to come see him in the Americas because he was ill, Marie sent Bobby away for the morning. The boy scratched his head for a full minute before walking off. Marie stood in her bed and brooded; too frustrated to read, too angry to write, too scared to leave her room.



Logan eyed Bobby on deck working with Cable. The boy was the new designated lap dog, so he was surprised to see him working instead of catering to her majesty. Working up in the sails all morning silently waiting to see Marie come out and take her throne, he grew increasingly agitated by noon when he didn't see her. It was a cloudy, windy day, but he knew it had to be about him. What he had told her the night before when she was being the nicest she had ever been with him, and he could barely keep from jumping down her throat. Not paying attention to what he was doing, Logan missed the rope he was cutting and sliced a gash across his hand.

Cursing into the wind, Logan pulled the handkerchief he had around his neck and wrapped it over his hand. Waiting until the bleeding stopped he resumed his work feeling miserable and guilty. He never let women get to him and here he was bleeding because her majesty didn't want to make her presence known. Cursing again, he swung to the third mast to continue refitting the sails. There was a storm coming and he needed to focus on what he was doing.



Marie spent the afternoon with St. John. After Bobby brought her lunch, she snuck down the hall and quietly slipped into his room with the tray. He was still in bed, slightly feverish and sick, so she started to chat idly and run wet cloths across his forehead. St. John was humiliated to have her serve him, but after so many days of lying sick in a bed, he welcomed her company and enjoyed her chatter. Only today was different, she was quieter and thoughtful as she cut him bits of bread.

"Pardon Miss Marie, but is something troubling you?"

Marie fussed with her tray and tried to look busy.

"It's nothing St. John, just that I tire of this ship. I want to see Poppa."

She let a giant tear roll down her face, not bothering to dabble at it, instead letting it stain the bodice of the peach satin dress she was wearing. Knowing it wasn't his place to pry, St. John sat up and waited. After several minutes she eventually spoke up.

"Am I good person?"

St. John frowned. That was the last question he expected.

"Of course you are, my lady. You are proper, and virtuous and ..."

He was about to continue his list, but she paused him with a hand on his arm.

"But am I a good person?"

She looked at him with pleading eyes. There was so much more to this.

"Yes, you are."

Marie looked down as more tears littered her bodice.

"You are too and you should tell Katherine how you feel."

St. John's jaw dropped. It was a secret, something that could never be revealed.

"I, she..."

"She loves you too. Please tell her."

He shook his head furiously.

"No, I can't, Miss Katherine deserves someone who can..."

"Someone who can love her."

Marie looked deep into her friend's eyes. He smiled faintly before looking down. This was definitely the last thing he expected to discuss with Marie.

"I'll try."

Marie smiled and finally cleared her tears. Her headache was still there.

"St. John, I feel tired, I'm going to my room now, I'll come see you in the morning."

The man nodded numbly and bid her good-bye. It was only after she left that he realized she hadn't told him what was bothering her. Mind still swimming with thoughts of Katherine, he closed his eyes and tried to picture a destiny so bold as to be with the woman he loved.



Logan shuffled up the stairs just as lightening lit the sky. For days the Captain had anticipated bad weather and now that it was upon them, experience told Logan that it was going to be so much more. Starting to secure all of the hatches above deck just as the rain started to really pelt his back, Logan's mind wandered briefly to her majesty. The ship had began to pitch and sway and without the sails opened they were pretty much sitting in the water, bobbing back and forth. She would be scared for sure. Spotting Bobby struggling with some anchorings to his side, he pulled the kid to the side.

"I'll finish here, go check on her majesty."

Bobby grinned at the reference. It was no secret what Logan thought about having to drag boiling pails of water up to her room every day.

"She doesn't want to see anybody. But I'll try anyways."

Logan flinched slightly before patting the boy on his back to send him on his way. So she was upset. Briefly recalling a flash of creamy skin, he almost lost his footing when the ship pitched left and a masting swung loose over his head. Realizing he had bigger things to worry about, Logan turned to catch the loose rope when a light in the distance caught his attention. Instantly recognizing it as a deck lantern, Logan dropped what he had in his hands and started yelling at the top of his voice.

"Ship ahoy, portside!! Ship ahoy, portside!! It's a galleon!!"

For a second, the dozen or so men on deck froze in mid action before turning to confirm what Logan saw. In the horizon, hidden in the gray, low clouds that hung heavy in the sky was a Spanish ship, sails still straining in the increasing wind, charging full speed ahead in an intersection course with the Esmeralda. In a heartbeat, all of the men burst into action. Logan was halfway to the Captain when he saw a cold look overtake the old man's face. He put down his eyeglass with a snarl on his lips.

"Captain."

"Yes, I see my boy. It's the 'Isabella'."

He picked up the eyepiece again, as if to confirm his nightmare. Then he turned to Logan and the assembling crew behind him. All hands were on deck now, except for Bobby. Logan could see the fear and excitement the old man wore clearly.

"We're in it now boys!! Skipper, full evasive towards west, Cable and Logan, full sails! That will give us time while they turn!! Bishop and the rest, prepare canons and we fire at will!!!"

The crew burst into action. They were a merchant ship, but as such they had run into the Isabella before. It was a pirate ship that waited off Caribbean waters for a wealthy load to pass by to ambush. Captain Victor Creed was ruthless and had and old gruge with the Esmeralda, since it had escaped his grasp not once but twice, making them the only ones lucky enough to have tarnished his reputation and lived. Magnus had wanted to avoid an encounter especially with an Xavier on board, even going as far as to timing his arrival with another ship rumored to be caring silver, but he had underestimated Creed's need for vengeance. Grabbing Logan, his best fighter, by the leg before he disappeared into the sails, he roared above the thunder.

"This time boy, we go for the kill!!"

Logan breathed through the blade he held in his mouth heavily. He had a distinct feeling that Magnus knew that Creed might be waiting. There was just entirely too much ammo on board. Finishing his fifty foot climb up the swaying masts, he started to cut the sails loose, watching the canvas unfurl beneath him. In the distance, lightening crackled and he could see the growing shape of the faster, sleeker, lighter ship heading straight towards them. Because it was dark and the seas were churning, they had spotted it late. Remembering the last two encounters with those cutthroats, Logan wondered if they would be so lucky this time.



Marie grasped the books falling from her headboard. Looking over at Bobby, she frantically tried to balance her footing in the swaying ship.

"Bobby, why are we swaying so much?"

"It's just a storm, we've seen many of these, just remain calm."

Defying his own advice, he walked over to her round port window. The Isabella was looming closer and he could tell by the rushing water beneath them that Magnus had ordered the sails to be let down for a chase. It was a dangerous move, since lightening was striking close by.

"What's happening Bobby, please tell me!"

Bobby ran to Marie, but she shrieked again when another pitch sent her sprawling over him. Behind them, the door opened. It was St. John looking like he was about to collapse, but he held a second lantern, which instantly brightened the room again now that the candles were snuffed out.

"Miss Marie, are you okay?"

They ran to him, and precariously helped him to the bed. While Bobby was still busy with St. John, Marie ran to the port window and let out a low moan at what she saw. She turned to Bobby frantically again.

"Why is that ship so close? What's going on?"

Bobby looked into each of their frantic faces. There was no point in lying now.

"It's the Isabella, a pi..."

Before he could complete the statement, the entire ship rocked in a massive explosion. Marie screamed as everything seemed to tumble around them. The lantern that St. John brought crashed onto the floor sending them all into darkness.



Logan pulled the cast iron giant with all his might. The rain was falling hard now, making the rope in his fingers and the ground under his boots slippery, but he trudged on, hearing the grunt of three men straining with him. When they finally had the canon in position, he dropped to his knees, panting to catch a breath. Brushing his long hair out of his eyes, he went for the ammo next. They made a human chain, four men passing black orbs between them. A neat pile forming by the canon, Logan broke the chain to go help pull the second canon into position. The Esmeralda was moving quick, but they were still not ready and the Isabella was almost within firing range. Turning briefly to check how far off she was, Logan fell to his knees when an explosion tore through the side of the ship. It moved everything to one side, and for a second it seemed that the Esmeralda would tip over.



Ears still ringing, Logan stumbled to his feet. It was raining debris all around and he could see the panic of the crew. Apparently Creed had gotten himself a better canon, but Logan was sure it was still just one. Cable, the skipper, was counting down the 48 seconds it took for the Isabella to reload. Reaching the second canon just as the man yelled 47, Logan crouched down for the impending hit. It crashed into pretty much the same area, tossing him up against the black giant. He felt something in his side snap on the impact, but hustling quicker as the countdown began again, Logan braced as their first canon finally returned the damage they had received.

The two ships continued to pelt themselves and the surrounding waters with canon fire until it became apparent that the Esmeralda was not going down. Although she had two antiquated canons, two was still better than one. Furious that his element of surprise had not been enough, Creed ordered the ship to be rammed. In little over fifteen minutes of canon exchange, the hull of the slightly bigger Isabella crashed into the stern of the Esmeralda. The crew that was split between manning two canons suddenly dispersed and drew their weapons as it became clear they were going to be boarded. Creed's men poured onto the decks of the Esmeralda wielding swords, sabers, and torches. Both Captains watched what the outcome would be from a distance.



Marie scrambled to get up among the overturning things and felt along the ground for the others. Eventually, she felt arms close around her and wailed at the sound of glass breaking and St. John screaming.

"Marie, Marie! Get down."

She let herself get pulled down again, and crawling along the floor over broken things Marie gasped when Bobby managed to open her door and a wave of heat hit them at once. The ship was on fire. He turned around and grabbed at her.

"Get up, we gotta get out!"

The three made their way past the blazing remnants of the lower decks. They had been lucky enough to have been hit on the side opposite Marie's room, but the fire that was lit by some overturned lamp somewhere was quickly raging out of control.

Marie closed her eyes and shielded her face from the intense heat. She was running blind, but St. John pushed her along in the right direction. They followed Bobby through the fiery maze below deck until Marie finally felt a welcome breeze of air. Still coughing and sputtering they reached the chaotic scene above and were quickly drenched in the pouring rain. Bobby spotted the Captain not far off. Extending the knife he had at his side, he tossed it to St. John, who looked more alert than he had in days. Picking up a saber from a body on the floor, Bobby pulled Marie along, the three making an uneventful bee-line to Captain Magnus.

Marie stared in horror at the sights and sounds around her. The ship was on fire and men were hacking and cleaving each other all around. Trying to shut out the sounds of screaming and yelling, she focused on the ground beneath her feet. The ship had stopped swaying so much since it was partially stabilized by the other, but it was still hard to walk in the pouring rain. She eventually just closed her eyes and didn't stop until she bumped into Bobby's back. Still looking around frantically, St. John pushed her to the ground to keep her out of sight, where she clung to the base of the Captain's chair.

"Captain, I brought the girl."

Magnus opened his mouth for a response, but a voice echoed above everything else. It was Creed and everyone stopped at the sound of his voice.



Logan withdrew his knife from his opponent's side with a growl. They had been sorely outnumbered by Creed's men, but they were a roving crew of bandits that worked sloppily together. Logan had traveled with Magnus for four years and in that time they had lost only two men. They knew each other well and had developed strategies that insured survival. Logan was by nature a frontlines guy. He and two others were the fastest with a knife and intercepted the enemy first. Whoever filtered through them was dealt with by the others, but on a good day it wasn't many.

Today was not a good day. Hurt from a slash on his thigh when two men ganged up on him, Logan had fought over a dozen men and still they seemed to be pouring onto his ship. Leaping over the body he had just put down, Logan braced himself to move onto the next when Creed's voice called high above the roar of fire, thunder and screaming.

"Magnus!! Magnus!!"

The Captain turned and stood slowly at his place by the helm. He didn't offer a response, just looked at his younger counterpart in disgust.

"You, my fat friend, are dead in the water!! I offer a treaty!!"

Logan watched carefully as something flashed across Magnus' face. It was gone in a heartbeat, replaced by a throaty laugh that made his entire belly shake. He pointed his sword at the pirate.

"You're a lying son of a whore Creed!! You don't know the meaning of the word treaty!!"

The long-haired blonde captain chuckled where he was standing, then leaped down to the very tip of his ship and leaned over casually. All eyes were on him as men waited with bloody swords for the next move. Overhead, lightening crashed and the ocean seemed to grumble in response.

"Oh, but it's a treaty I offer!! Give me what I want and I sail away, leaving you with enough men to patch up this pathetic excuse for a vessel and hobble on home!!"

Captain Magnus laughed again. Bobby and St. John, being the closest to him marveled at the thunderous sound he produced. Only they were close enough to see his hands shake in fear.

"And what is it that you want?? All I carry is supplies and tea for the settlements!!"

At that Creed smiled, showing a mouthful of gleaming white teeth. It was a carnivorous smile.

"But you have more than just tea, you old sea dog!! You have an Xavier!!"

Logan's heart dropped out of his chest. Somehow they knew. He looked at the Captain's face. It was a bitter mask with a smile. A betrayer's smile. He had to do something.

"She is not for sale!!"

"We both know you've been paid enough so far to have made this all worthwhile!! Give her to me and I will sail away!!"

Marie whimpered and looked up at St. John's panic-stricken face. He put a hand out to shush her and clung to the weapon in his hand. Bobby looked at his Captain expectantly, confident it would never go that far, but something in the enormous man's eyes told him otherwise. It spoke of self-preservation at any cost. The ship swayed steeply as the storm swirling the ocean refused to slow for the drama unfolding in it's midst.

"Then you can have her!! Just leave my sights, you bastard!!"

Creed chuckled and gave a signal with his hand. Three men that Bobby and St. John had not noticed in their inexperience, moved forward to grab the girl hidden under the Captain's chair. Marie looked up in horror as knives were pointed at her protectors and they were ordered to step down. Looking up at the Captain, she tried to plead, beg, make her lips move, but a sob was caught in her throat and she could only cry.

A large, toothless man whose front was covered in blood, stepped forward and grabbed her by the arm. She struggled and bucked under his clasp, but it was useless. Behind her she heard Bobby protest to the Captain, and then a kick to his stomach that brought him to his knees. Her captor held her by the throat while another one tied her hands together. Finally slipping a rope around her neck, the man tightened it and started to lead her off like an animal.

As quickly as they had invaded, Creed's men hustled back to the Isabella, boarding her silently as the tense standoff continued. On his perch, Creed watched the girl being dragged with a smile. Her ransom would be significant. Plus he would have fun with her, he always had a thing for virgins. Maybe daddy wouldn't want her back after he was through with her. He watched with a cold calculating gaze as the girl was tossed over a shoulder. There was a net thrown over the side of the Isabella and his men were climbing it slowly with her still kicking and screaming. It was surprising how much her voice carried over the storm pelting them all. He turned one last time to the old captain of the Esmeralda.

"Good bye, old friend until we meet next time!!!"

He broke into a hearty laugh at the other man's defeated expression. Still laughing, Creed was completely unprepared for the explosion that tore his hull apart. Everything around him shook and trembled as the Isabelle pitched back from the blast. Above the roar, a scream was heard. It was a gutteral growl that would have belonged to an animal had it not formed a word. It had yelled 'attack'.



Logan quickly reloaded the canon, hoping that there was enough time for another blast before the two ships disengaged. Hearing more than seeing his crewmates approach, he lit the cast iron giant and aimed before covering his ears. The blast was so close, he felt everything around him on the Esmeralda tremble as well. Canons were not for use up close, but knowing that nothing could stop Creed from taking Marie, he quietly repositioned it while everyone just sat on their hands uselessly and watched. His arms ached from the effort of doing it all alone, but it had been worth it. The two simultaneous up-close blasts had breached the Isabella's hull beneath the water line and the ship was taking on water and going down fast.

Unsheathing his blade just as Cable reached him, Logan turned to his friend one last time for a nod of understanding before joining the others in a full head on assault. Weaving through dozens of one on one fights, Logan raced to where he saw Marie was carried off too. In the sky, lightening aided his quest with momentary flashes of light. With a weary heart, Logan spotted her peach colored form being tossed over the rim of the ship like a rag doll. Finally reaching the edge of the Esmeralda's stern, he bit down on his blade and leaped across the growing gap between the ships.

Clutching on the netting the Creed crew had used to haul ass, Logan gripped tight knowing that if he let go, he would fall into the ocean and be sucked under the now sinking ship. Feeling the ache in his arms from having moved a canon all by himself, Logan bit down on his blade, ignoring his pain and trudged forward. Above the roaring water and raging skies, he could hear her sobbing. Moving faster, he was almost to the top when another explosion tore into the Isabella, essentially splitting the ship in two. Thrown painfully into the wooden hull with the blast, Logan gritted his teeth and continued on. She was in Creed's clutches by now and knowing that his ship was dead in the water, that psycho was capable of anything.



Marie gasped as she was thrown over the edge of the Isabella and landed with a hard thump on the deck. The rain falling on her face prevented her from seeing clearly and she didn't see the arms that picked her up until she was suddenly face to face with the man they called Captain Creed. He pulled at the rope she had around her neck. Half dragged, half stumbling down a dangerously sharpening incline, Marie sobbed behind the hulking form and realized she was going to die. They would search for her body and not find one because the ocean never gave up what it claimed. She saw her father's expression and it would surely kill him. She would never even get to return Kitty's chain.

Bringing her gloved and tied hands to her chest, Marie clasped the cross she was given to hold in sheer anger and lunged at the man that led her. Letting out a scream, she plunged it deep into the back of his neck and was sent sprawling back to the ground with a backhand for her trouble. The rope around her neck cut into her painfully as she fell because he did not let go. But he was hurt too. Marie's heart soared when in a flash of sudden lightening she could see him clasping his neck and flaying. He was hurt. She could hurt him. The thought was surprisingly empowering and taking another breath, Marie brought the cross down on his foot. The sharp, finely crafted cross penetrated Creed's cheap leather boot easily and finally seeing the rope that he held fall before her, Marie turned and ran. Feeling the promise of freedom thread through her, Marie ran hard from her captor but the fates would have it that another explosion rocked the ship at that same moment and falling victim to the layered skirts and soft slippers she was wearing, Marie tripped and stumbled down a sharpening incline right into Creed's grasp again.

Marie now found herself pressed face down into the deck. She struggled for a minute but being turned over on her back with ease, she felt a hard slap across her face. The blow almost knocked her unconscious. Creed muttered indistinguishable words at her and whimpering slightly she braced for another hit. But all she felt was Creed's body fall over hers with a thud. The entire vessel shuddered and pitched making her faintly recalled that the ship was sinking. Still fighting consciousness, she saw a blur move over her and flip Creed off her. Looking over to her side, she barely had time to see the blade that sliced open his throat. But she did feel the hot blood. It splattered on her face and thinking she was next, Marie closed her eyes and screamed.



Logan gripped his knife hard and was about to slice again for good measure, when Marie screamed. It was a blood chilling scream and enough to snap him out of his vengeance filled haze. Cleaning the knife off the dead man's jacket, he moved to cut Marie's hands free, but she kicked at him and tried to run. Sliding the knife back into his waist in defeat, Logan stepped over Creed's body and grabbed at her. All around, the Isabella groaned and buckled in protest. The deck was beginning to splinter. Sitting over her stomach to keep her in place, Logan clutched Marie's face in his bloody hands and shook her a little to make her stop screaming.

"Marie! Marie! It's me! Marie!"

Lightening flashed overhead and Marie stopped screaming more out of the difficulty Logan's weight posed on breathing than anything. Slowly, her tear filled eyes focused on his voice.

"M-m-mister Logan?"

He let out a smile and stood up, dragging her up behind him. She clung to him, making it more difficult for Logan to keep his balance in the swaying deck, but he pulled her along as best he could. In the final stages of sinking, the ship was tipping over and Logan knew by experience that they had only seconds to jump ship. Running back the way he came, Logan pulled Marie into his side and yelled above the swirling ocean.

"We're going to climb down, can you do that?"

Marie nodded numbly in partial shock but without time to waste, Logan tightened his grip around her waist and flung his leg over the buckling railing. Holding onto the rope net, Logan glanced over at the Esmeralda. The fires were still raging and since Creed's crew evacuated onto her, there was still a considerable amount of fighting going on there. What's more, the sinking Isabella was bobbing further and further away. In a dark moment of complete awareness, Logan realized that it would be nearly impossible to get back on board their ship. The ocean below them was twirling angrily and it was only a matter of minutes before they sunk completely. If they were still holding on to the ship when that happened, the downwards drag would pull them down with it. Feeling the shivers run through the girl in his arms, Logan tucked her into himself a little tighter and mumbled in her ear to hold on.

There was only one way to survive this and sending a quick prayer to whomever was listening, Logan let go of the ropes and kicked away from the hull they were hanging on with all his might. Marie screamed again and still clutching to each other tightly, they fell into the tumultuous water with a deafening splash.
Chapter 4 by Dark Ferrett
IV. Wreckage and Sand

Salt. The bitter taste burned in her throat and gritted her eyes. Marie shook her head slowly and fought the need to breathe. Her body begged for it, her lungs ached for it, but suspended in bitter cold saltiness, Marie fought the urge nevertheless. The most primal part of her brain demanded, but the most complex part refused. It told her she was dying, that another gulp would surely be her last. Stuck on repeating these facts to her over and over, this consciousness barely registered the hands that gripped her and moved her towards the surface. Those same hands that shook her, smoothed over her face, patted her cheeks, kept her head above water. She was lost in cold saltiness and seemingly nothing could get her out.



Logan clutched Marie tightly while screaming with all his might. Grabbing a piece of wood floating past, he waved it at the Esmeralda who now seemed further and further away with each passing moment. The fires on her still raged and above the sounds of churning water and rumbling clouds he new they could never hear him. Flinging the plank away in frustration, Logan sputtered in the water and turned his sights to Marie. Her lips were pale and she was still breathing shallowly. Feeling over the finger shaped bruises on her cheek visible even under a moonless sky, he scanned the waters around them for anything that could help.

The water was full of debris, all bobbing and floating in the same struggle he had with the current. Spotting a sizeable piece of hull some metres off, Logan switched her to his other side and waded through the twirling water towards it. Struggling to get a good hold on the plank, he partially heaved Marie's upper body onto it and found a firm grasp of his own. It dipped dangerously below the water level and could not support both their weight, but clutching firmly as the seas churned and churned, Logan hoped it would be enough. Checking Marie's breathing one last time and finally cutting away the ropes that held her hands together, he lowered his head to the wood surface and surrendered to the bone-deep tiredness consuming him.



Marie was lost in a familiar dream when something fluttered over her hand. Slightly annoyed at it's insistence, she creased her brow and hoped that it would leave her be. But it continued and her senses only sharpened at it's presence. As if remembering that they could work, those senses started to come back one at a time. First was the smell of salt, then the grainy feel pressing into her arms, then the sounds of gentle lapping and then the heat of the sun on her face. Each of these senses grew sharper, less nebulous and more defined, slowly rousing Marie from the darkness, until suddenly they merged in some place in her brain to complete a picture it was otherwise unprepared to have faced.

Feeling the fluttering over her hand again, Marie opened her eyes. The little fiddler crab that was tugging at her gloves scampered away in protest when she whimpered and shook it free. Then came the realization. Staring at her torn gloves, Marie's eyes widened. Ever so slowly, she raised her face out of the warm sand. With a gasp, she pushed up to a kneeling position and took in the sight before her. She was on a beach, wide and arcing, framing an immensity of lush greenery not far off that was as beautiful as it was foreboding.

A sound came out of her throat and roving her eyes back to herself, she almost choked at the state of her soaking, dirty dress. Attempting to stand on her own two feet, she looked around in growing agitation, for despite the hum of birds, the sway of trees and the soft stir of the ocean, it was completely still and alone. Odd because those things were noise onto themselves but they wove together effortlessly and silence pitched forward, interrupted only by Marie's harsh breaths in her own ears.

"Hello!! Hello!!"

She clutched a hand to her neck. The strain of yelling tore at it's salt and scream ravaged interior. Her stomach felt worse, protesting no doubt to the saltwater it now detested. Choosing instead to preserve what voice she had, Marie looked around at the scattered wreckage debris littering the beach. A kettle, wood, a shoe, wood, a tangle of rope and more wood. But off in the distance there was something else and in an instant Marie knew what it was. Dragging her sodden skirts, she weaved through the littered beach to the shape of a man. Falling to her knees at his side she clasped her hands together and muttered a prayer to God. As a graduate of Madame Witherstone's School for Ladies she was well rehearsed in many prayers but none came to mind at the moment. She opted for simplicity. This was the man that had saved her life and she didn't want to have any miscommunications with God.

"Please be alive, please be alive, please God be alive."

Still chanting, she gave the body a shove. It didn't budge, so she pushed harder and prayed faster. Eventually she managed to move him onto his side and moved long hair and sand away from his stubbly features. Equal parts dismayed and enthralled, she carefully moved her head to his chest. He was breathing. More encouraged, she started poking at his shoulder, trying to rouse him from his slumber.

"Mr. Logan, Mr. Logan, please wake up, Mr. Logan."

The poking was getting harder and her voice more urgent when she realized he was not waking up. Looking around the beach again, Marie stood. She could see for a good two kilometers in either direction, but there was no-one else. Falling to her knees again, she gave Logan more encouragement by way of poking and prodding until the reality of death dawned on her. Maybe he was dying, and if he did, she would truly be alone.

More scared than she ever recalled being, including the time Creed held her to his face, Marie wept bitterly and stretched out by Logan's body. Moving her twisted, matted hair out of her face, she eased out over the sand again and placed a hand through the opening in the front of his shirt to touch the place over his heart. She had never been so bold as to touch a man like that before, but she needed to feel his heartbeat, faint and sketchy as it was, she needed to hear it's rhythm to assure herself that he was still alive and she was not alone. Exhausted of thinking about the events of the previous day and still crying softly, Marie fell back into darkness with the same simple prayer on her lips. Please be alive, please be alive, please be alive.



The first thing Logan felt was the warmth of the morning sun on his face and the feel of a weight on his chest. Blinking against the residual salt in his eyes, he brought a hand up to his forehead as his head seemed to throb with a heartbeat of it's own. He was alive. It seemed wonderful and awful at the same time, but facts were facts and he was alive. Squinting at the merciless glint of the sun, he shaded his eyes and went to sit up. Only then did he realize that he wasn't alone. Catching the hand that was touching his chest before it fell away, Logan stared at Marie's tattered form. She was asleep, but the tears drying down her cheeks still had moist trails. For once, the strange white streaks in her hair were messy and tangled, but still managed to shine in the sun. He could still faintly make out Creed's hand outlined on her cheek. She must have thought he was dead. Swallowing the lump in his throat, Logan tucked the cross around her neck back into her high collar, then looked away ashamed at having touched her. But she was alive. That bastard Creed hadn't succeeded, and he was at least happy about that. Giving a quick assessing look around and then towards the horizon, he lay back down again and thought about how to wake her highness up.

Still deciding, he looked down at the hand he was holding. He wanted to laugh. Even shipwrecked on a damn island, her majesty still had her white gloves on. Partially ripped and filthy to the point they could never be white again, Logan pulled it off just as Marie stirred. Caught in mid act, Logan watched her jump back and clutch her neck. He was left with the glove in his hand.

"You're awake!"

Logan sat up and drew his water logged boots up. He couldn't deal with her astonished wide eyes or the fact that he had been a second away from kissing her hand. Especially when she drew back like he was filth.

"Disapointed?"

Marie huffed in disbelief. Even in the most dire of situations he was still so rude.

"Must you always be so crass?"

Logan discarded his boots into a nearby sand dune with practiced nonchalance. Five seconds awake and it had already begun.

"Listen your highness, I've got work to do, the sun is rising fast and if you want to lecture on manners, go ahead, I'll be trying to get off this sandbar."

Standing up and wiggling his toes into the sand, Logan took another look around. There was a lot of work to do and he was wasting time. Collection was first. Spotting a large plank of wood in the short distance, he began walking.

"Where are you going?"

He was surprised to hear the panic in her voice. Did she think he had a boat waiting down the beach?

"Where do you think I'm going?"

She got to her feet and stumbled behind him.

"Don't answer a question with another. I asked where you were going."

Still walking, Logan huffed and grabbed a hold of his fluttering white shirt. Bringing it over his head, he threw it over to a dry patch of sand and began the process of hauling the wreckage. Caught off guard at the sight of him bare-backed, Marie looked away which caused her skirts to tangle in a broken cask she failed to see and fall. Logan turned around and watched her struggle with the dress. She looked up in embarrassed annoyance.

"Don't just stand there, help me please."

"You should really take that off. You don't need the hassle."

Marie stopped struggling and almost swallowed her tongue. Logan had never seen someone turn that red so quick.

"Are you seriously implying that I..."

He watched in fascination as she stammered over herself. Giving her dress a final yank that left a significant amount of lace attached to the cask, she stood up, green eyes glaring.

"That is perhaps the greatest insult you could have offered. I am a lady, and you should mind your manners and keep from making such crude statements."

Logan smiled slowly. It was the same look she had that day on the wharf.

"Suit yourself, but it ain't nothing I haven't seen before, your highness."

Turning just as her jaw dropped, Logan continued on his salvage mission. Taking long strides that he knew she couldn't catch up to, he left her behind, still fuming and yelling in indignation. Eventually she stopped trying to chase him back and forth on the beach and settled in a heap of tattered peach, almost gray, satin. Drawing her knees up as far as her corset allowed, Marie settled her forehead on her knees. Her mind still swam with everything new in her situation and she needed time to think.

She was alone in a strange, unbearably hot place with the person she detested most in the world as her only companion. She missed Kitty, her father, St. John, even Bobby. Remembering all of the near death experiences she suffered in the past 24hrs alone, she wrapped her hand around the cross on her neck sadly and watched some crabs run back and forth not unlike Logan. That made her perk up again and look at the man working down the beach. For hours, he had trucked back and forth and she felt a slight pang of guilt for not having at least lifted a finger to help. But then remembering how insanely obnoxious the man was, Marie kicked at the sand under her feet and put those thoughts aside.

She was not feeling well and her stomach hurt. It had been cramping since she woke up and it was getting worse by the minute. Rubbing it slightly, the thought of food suddenly sprung to mind and she felt incredibly foolish for having skipped her lunch the day before. Had she known pirates were going to kidnap her, she would have indulged at least. What would she eat anyways? Remembering a book that she read once where the hero survived in the forest eating nuts and berries, Marie turned to look at the tangle of greenery bordering the beach. It was frightening and strange, and not quite a forest, but her stomach could not be ignored. Picking herself off the warm sand that had at least managed to dry her skirts, Marie ventured a look at Logan. He was busy working, so she carefully made her way to the border where the sun hardly penetrated past the mass of foliage from above.



Logan's mind was a busy tangle as he processed all that needed to be done. He was pretty sure he knew where they were as well as positive that there would be extensive searching for the girl. Her father was a wealthy man and would certainly have vessels sweeping the seas for answers. But that could take time. Meanwhile they needed shelter and food. Plus he needed to scout the island, check for animals and fresh water. It was going to be a busy first few days and with her majesty being no help whatsoever, he was in for a lot of work.

But in all fairness, he hadn't really given her much of a chance. The whole dress bit had been excessive. Even though it was true, he had no right to insult her. He had never been around women other than prostitutes, but he gathered women like her even closed their eyes to change to not see themselves naked. Chortling at the thought, Logan thought back to that glorious flash of leg he caught the day she cleaned him up. If that was really the case, it was a damned shame.

Suddenly uncomfortable again, Logan reminded himself of his place. She had a fiancé even and it was surely not worth being hung by daddy to lay a finger on her now. Even though she needed it - badly. That little kiss Frenchy had given her on the wharf spoke volumes. She was as inexperienced as they came and that probably explains why she fell for a guy like that. Only there was more to it than that. High society stayed high society, which meant old Frenchy also had a name and money. Two things he would never get his hands on.

Logan shook the thought out of his head and dropped the things he was carrying. He hated people like that, why on earth did he even consider having those things. A name and money never mattered before and they shouldn't matter now. Throwing a tired glance again to where she was sitting and probably hoping for tea service to drop out of the sky, Logan held his breath when he saw that she was gone. Scanning the beach quickly, he grabbed his shirt and started walking to where she had been. If she wasn't on the beach or in the water, there was only one other place she could have gone.



Marie walked carefully in her stocking'd feet through the surprisingly clear jungle floor. Hearing bird calls high above her and the drip of water everywhere, she marveled at the dappled light that gave everything around her a spectacular green glow. She always liked being outdoors. While Kitty preferred to read in the study, she was always in one of the gardens, but none of the books she ever read prepared her for what she was submerged in now.

The air was mistier and hotter, but filled with the fragrance of flowers she had never seen before. Reaching for her still gloved right hand, she pulled on her hole riddled glove and dropped it on the ground. Enthralled by the massive tropical leaves covered in dew, she ventured curious hands to touch everything she passed by, eventually stopping when she reached a cluster of what she knew were fruit. Tearing them off one by one, she gathered them into her skirt. Carrying several of another variety, she picked happily, completely unaware of approaching sound of hooves. Only when she turned to follow a giant butterfly dance by did she see what was behind her. Letting the fruit she had gathered fall to her feet, she screamed and ran.



Logan was absentmindedly turning the thin cotton glove Marie had discarded in his hand and still following Marie's 'I must touch everything' trail when he heard it. He withdrew the knife tucked into his waistband and charged through the vegetation. Just a short distance ahead he came to a semi clearing where Marie was frantically trying to climb a tree in her nightmare of a dress.

To Logan's shock, there was a wild boar grunting and stomping beneath her. It was not terribly large, but some animals were dangerous no matter what. Intent on Marie's dangling feet, the beast was ramming into the tree ignorant of the man stalking him from behind. It was Marie that saw him first. She yelled out 'Logan' and catching his scent the beast turned. Unfortunately for him, it was too late as Logan brought his knife crashing down on his back. A shrill squeal cut the air and the beast turned to stick his attacker with his tusks. But Logan had yet to let go of the blade handle. Knowing that the animal's hide was thick and difficult to penetrate, he pushed down with all his might, falling to his knees and essentially pining the animal down. It's final squeak was cut in half when Logan withdrew the knife with a grunt and slid it effortlessly across the throat.

Watching the blood pour out of the creature and sprinkle onto the forest floor, Marie clasped a hand to her mouth and made a gagging sound. Still partially hanging off the low tree she was trying to escape up into, she tried to back down again. Her skirt catching on a branch, she fumbled and almost landed on the floor, but Logan was there to catch her and ease her down to the ground. Tears welling in her eyes at the sight of blood staining his white shirt, Marie struggled.

"Let go!!"

Logan let go immediately and still breathing hard from his run, wiped at the sweat on his brow.

"It's okay, it's dead."

Marie looked at the animal he was pointing to with the tip of his knife, still holding her stomach and weeping quietly. In an incredibly lucid moment it dawned on Logan that she had the same look on her face when he killed Creed. He had thought that she had forgotten but it was clear she hadn't. Wiping the blood off a nearby palm leaf, Logan resheathed his knife and took a step closer to the shivering girl. She looked up from the carcass tentatively.

"Hey, it's okay."

"You killed him."

Logan swallowed the guilt that surfaced in him. He was not a murderer by choice, but he was damn good at it and never hesitated when his life was on the line. Creed was responsible for the slash across his back and it was without feeling that he took the man's life. But it wasn't for that gash or the good friend he lost to him that he did it. It was for the girl. The minute he saw Creed lift his hand to her, his fate was sealed. Logan hadn't really confronted that move until now, and it felt odd because it marked a turning point. In the business of sailing he had come across countless battles, but not once had he killed for someone else. Looking into Marie's green eyes, he hoped that she understood, knowing that he himself barely did.

"I had no choice."

Marie squeezed her eyes and the images of burning and sword fights and cold water rose in her mind.

"They're all dead, and we're going to die too."

Logan watched her rub her arms and wished he could hold her, tell her it was okay. But it would be wrong. He settled for looking straight into her eyes and hoping she could catch the message he was conveying.

"The Esmeralda did not go down and we are still alive. Your father will come for you and we'll be here when he does. The Isabella deserved what it got."

Marie looked down at the carcass again and added regretfully.

"But it was my fault, they came for me."

Logan decided to abandon the ounce of propriety he had and walked to her. She took a cautious step back, but he caught her shoulder and held her in an embrace regardless, careful not to stain her remnant of a fine dress with the blood on his shirt.

"You did nothing. Creed was a madman who took and killed as he wished."

He pulled back slightly and looked down into her eyes to reiterate his sentiment.

"The Isabella got what she deserved."

Marie blinked back her tears and repeated his words.

"What she deserved."

Logan twitched a smile and Marie leaned forward, never thinking that the smell of sweat, salt and, sun could ever be pleasant or comforting. Ear pressed onto the space above his thumping heart, she closed her eyes and thanked God she wasn't alone. She had Logan. Totally disagreeable, utterly brave, foolishly dashing, wonderfully solid Logan. Then as if suddenly remembering something, Marie jumped back and smoothed out her dress. Logan frowned despite himself.

"Are you hurt?"

Marie looked down at her hands and wondered where her gloves were.

"No, no, well, my stomach is a little upset, I, I picked some fruit...... to eat."

Logan took in her blush. He guessed high society didn't do much touching neither.

"It's the seawater. We swallowed so much. You'll be better once we eat. I found some things to cook with."

He looked down at the boar.

"And it seems like we have dinner. Why don't you go wait?"

Marie flustered and tried to smile before sidestepping the boar and heading to the direction in which they came. She knew what he was going to do, and still queasy, she walked off to find an overturned log to sit on. Even at a distance she could hear the cutting and the skinning. Not wanting to throw up, she headed further down to where she dropped her fruit. Gathering them in her skirts, Marie sat and waited again. Then she decided to carry them in her arms instead. After all, what would Mrs. Witherstone say about her lifting her skirts in the presence of a gentleman? That thought made Marie laugh, but her laughter died down as quickly as it started.

Logan was not a gentleman. He wasn't gentle about anything, he was just a - she thought about it carefully - he was just a man. And that was even worse. Because Mrs. Witherstone never talked about men, only gentlemen and Marie had never really dealt with men before. Sure there were carriage attendants and butlers and waiters and St. John, but she never had to sit and eat with them as equals. A thought made her jump to her feet, and she dropped some of the fruit she was cradling. Where would they sleep? Where would she bathe? How long would she have to wear this filthy dress? Losing more fruit by the second, Marie paced until Logan showed up with a hefty thigh of pork on each shoulder. Gathering her fruit again, Marie followed him mutely to the beach. It looked significantly better now that it was clear of the larger debris but Marie barely noticed as she followed what she could no longer deny was a man.



Wrapping the thighs on large palm leaves and tying them with rope, Logan ventured a look at Marie. He had gathered quite a substantial amount of wreckage and cluttered it under a group of palm trees that offered good shelter. She had dropped the fruit into a cracked basin he found and had sat timidly among the clutter, twitching in her clothes, making sure her gaze stayed on the water. He knew it had to do with the embrace in the forest. She had pulled away quickly and not uttered a single word since they had walked out of the jungle. The reality of the situation must have finally settled in and busy dragging huge stones into a circle for a fire pit, Logan thought about what to say. They were going to be living together for a while and like it or not, she had to get used to the idea.

"Aside from your stomach, are you hurt anywhere else?"

That startled her and caused her to look at him. Seeing that he was shirtless and sweaty again, Marie just as quickly looked down again.

"No. No. I'm fine."

He dropped a rock in place and looked over at her pulling on her high collar.

"I saw you limping a little. Are you hurt?"

Marie looked at him wide-eyed.

"Um, no."

Kicking the last rock into place, Logan wiped his brow on the back of his hand and walked to where she was perched with her back perfectly straight, no doubt because of the corset she had on. An idea occurred to him.

"Let me see your feet then."

She tucked them under her skirt immediately.

"That's quite alright. They're just tired."

He squatted down before her and put on his best poker playing face.

"If your feet are blistered, a few more days of walking on hot sand and bits of shell will get them raw, red, and bleeding. You could catch gangrene."

He didn't think it was possible, but her eyes got wider. Ever so slowly and very reluctantly Marie held out her feet. Shifting slightly she wiggled a little and demurely reached under her skirts to pull down her stockings. Taking one off, she tossed it to the side and Logan wondered how on earth she could stand being under so much coverings. Noticing that he was noticing her every move, Marie tried conversation at an unnaturally high pitch.

"Maybe they're a little swollen. Maybe you should check."

Biting his tongue to keep from laughing, Logan brought her feet to rest on his knee. Looking down at the pale feet smaller than his hands, he ran his fingers under her soft instep. She fidgeted a little. They were graceful little feet, but not well suited for beach waking. They were already slightly blistered.

"Well?"

"You need to wrap them for a few days, until you get used to it."

"Used to what?"

"Used to the sand."

She seemed to think that over and he put her feet back down again.

"Only I haven't found any fabric, or string."

He went to get up again, when she held out an arm.

"I have something."



Marie stepped out of her dress and breathed an instant sigh of relief. It might have been the height of fashion in London this season, but it was nothing but an annoyance out here. Checking to see that Logan was still working on the shelter with his back to her, she eased out of her slips and started to untie the three petticoats she had on next. Finally in only her corset and underwear, she began to unlace the forty fittings that held the boned corset together. Letting it fall to the pile of tattered lace on the sand ten minutes later, she checked on Logan's place again. Satisfied that he was whistling and busy, she picked up the petticoats and was about to tie one on when a warm breeze blew and she dropped it again. The heat was much more bearable without so many layers, and taking a moment to rethink her comfort level, Marie kicked at her peached nightmare and wondered what she could wear without appearing 'common' as Ms. Witherstone would say.

After a minute of sorting through her things, Marie decided that nothing would be appropriate so she might as well go for comfort. Bringing her slip over he head, she smoothed it over her shape and looked down for an unsure last look. It was a camisole on top with a rounded neck, a tie behind her back, short little cap sleeves and a skirt that at least reached her shins. Satisfied that the cotton was thick enough to prevent the outline of her underwear from showing, Marie gathered her things and stepped out from behind the wooden planks Logan leaned against a tree for privacy.



Logan was tying lashings around long strips of wood for what would become a roof when Marie cleared her throat behind him. Wiping his forehead with his handkerchief before turning around, he almost dropped it when he saw her settle down on a crate. She had a mountain of lace by her feet and was nervously fiddling with her dress. If you could call that a dress. It revealed bare arms, a long graceful neck, shapely calves, and the distinct sway of breasts that weren't flattened and pinned in place. Luckily for him, she was still busing avoiding eye contact to have noticed his reaction. She was nibbling on some fruit he wasn't sure was edible, but that she claimed she had seen in a book.

"Umm, I have it here for when you're ready."

Logan walked over and sat on the sand in front of her. Taking the corset in his hands he took no time in ripping the lining and separating the boning. In a short minute, the entire thing was in pieces, so he kneeled in front of her and took her foot to begin forming a cross between moccasins and slippers for her feet. The entire time neither said a word, Marie trying to ignore how his long black hair trailed down the center of his heavily muscled back, Logan too busy ignoring the softness of the shapely legs he was working on.

By the time Logan was done, the tension in the air was palpable. Marie jumped to her feet with a muttered 'thank you'. It was only then, when Logan dared to look at her face to a mutter a 'you're welcome', that he noticed the ugly mark across her neck. Before she could run off he pulled her down to the crate again with a hand on her shoulder.

"What's this?"

Marie blinked and brought a hand to cover her throat.

"It's nothing."

He pulled her hand away in sudden anger. There was a red angry ring around her throat, where Creed and his men had tied a rope to pull her along with. Had it not been for the slip's low neckline, he would have never seen it.

"This is something. I asked you if you were hurt!"

Marie blinked at the sudden harshness in Logan's voice and tried pulling back.

"It doesn't hurt anymore, and, and ..."

Logan narrowed his dark eyes at her.

"And you were afraid of showing me."

Marie flustered and started to move away, inadvertently crossing her arms across her chest.

"No, I..."

"Are you afraid of me?"

Marie snapped her eyes down to her lap in shame and embarrassment.

"No. I'm, I'm very grateful that..."

"Bullshit!"

Logan stood up with intensity. Marie watched as his hands flexed open and close.

"You still think I'm a barbarian, don't you? If I had wanted to hurt you, I would have done it already, so why am I not good enough for you to even trust?"

Marie stood up from the crate. She was tired of the awkwardness. Of not meeting his approval. She needed to think and to do that she needed to get away. Turning on her heel, she barreled down the beach, ignoring the sounds of things being thrown behind her.



Logan kicked the crate she was sitting on until something in his foot felt broken. Like always, he had overreacted and she had run off again. He wanted to stop her, tell her to come back, that he was sorry, but the need to break something was greater. He was the Wolverine and it was just not in his repertoire to be chasing after girls that cried at the drop of a hat.

He walked over to the thatched mats he was weaving and flung himself on their coolness. He needed time to cool off before he went to get her. Of course she had been afraid of him. The girl barely showed her ankles and she was supposed to trust him, a sailor she was trapped on an island with? It was ridiculous. She was weary of men and he had to keep reminding himself of that little fact. Lest she think he was after something, which he wasn't. At all. Placing an arm over his eyes, Logan worked to calm his breathing. Remembering something, he reached into the pocket of his cut off trousers. It was her tattered pair of gloves; one he had pulled off, one she had tossed in the forest. He brought them to his face. They smelled like seawater but were still incredibly soft. Soft like her. Looking over at the sun nearing the horizon, Logan got up and went in search of Marie. The sun was setting soon and he had lots to make up.
Chapter 5 by Dark Ferrett
V. Steamtrucks and Slippers

Marie stomped down the beach in self-righteous anger. It was so unfair. What had she ever done to deserve such treatment. There was just no way for him to be polite, or at least civil. He was definitely a barbarian. Kicking at a shell in her way, she inadvertently caught the tips of the slippers he had made. It had taken a good hour. And they felt heavenly. She sighed at her nagging conscious. So he was a handy barbarian, and a girl-saving barbarian. And a barbarian that could build shelters and make fires and kill dinner and probably build a ship with his bare hands. With the help of his knife of course. Marie giggled at the thought. That horrible thing was like an extension of his hand. Probably slept with it cuddled close. The smile vanished from her face. He had saved her from Creed and the boar with that knife. And from gangrene too.

Making sure she was far enough out of sight, Marie collapsed to the sand, no longer angry but definitely chagrined. For a barbarian he sure knew what he was doing. What had she contributed to their situation other than bruised fruit? She had to face facts. St. John was not here to get her things. She had to somehow be strong, or stronger at least. Logan said her father was coming to get her. It was just a matter of time. She hoped he would be well enough. He needed her and she had failed to reach him.

Marie closed her eyes and held her knees tight. It was a lot easier this time around without that damned corset. She would definitely have to be stronger. When her father came for her, she would want to make him proud. Marie sighed heavily again and looked out over the water. The sun was setting and the blue waters were turning a shimmering orange. Remembering that it was her most favorite part of the day, Marie stood up and shook the sand that clung to her. Seeing a natural outcrop of rocks that rested partially in the water not too far off, Marie walked off to catch a better view of the sunset.

Carefully climbing over the blackened and slippery rocks Marie stopped several times to observe the interesting life trapped in small tidepools. Finally reaching the end of the ancient lava flow, she settled in again, just in time to catch the water begin to light magnificently. Lost in thoughts of her family, she would have barely registered what lay slightly below the water line had it not been lit by the glimmer of the setting sun. Gasping at the shine of metal, just slightly off the rocks, Marie looked around for a better grip. About to ease down into the water, she jumped at the sound of her name. Looking over at the beach, Marie almost laughed at the sight of Logan sprinting towards her and yelling her name like a maniac. She was still unsuccessfully trying to suppress her grin when he started to climb the rocks she had traversed.

"Marie! Marie! Wait, what are you doing?"

Logan rushed over the rocks barefoot, actually slipping a few times. Cursing under his breath, he reached the end and stared down at Marie in frustration.

"What the hell are you laughing at?"

Marie shook her head and dropped her gaze. Something about his naked chest always made it hard to look directly at him.

"Nothing."

He looked down at her with his hands on his waist, still breathing heavily. When he had turned the last curve of the beach in search of her, he almost swallowed his tongue when he saw Marie dangling off the edge of some rocks about thirty feet into the water. And now she was laughing at him.

"What do you think you're doing?"

Marie eased carefully onto a rock and clasped her hands innocently. Her need to laugh was curved with extensive lip biting. Did he think she was stupid enough to jump over the edge or something?

"What did you think I was doing?"

Realizing he had over-reacted big time and that she was laughing at his expense, Logan was about to turn and leave when she called out.

"Wait! Don't leave, I found something."

Logan turned and flicked a strand of hair that had escaped it's tie behind his ear. His hands were still on his waist. Seeing his jaw clench in residual embarrassment, Marie pointed at the water at the end of the outcropping.

"Look for yourself."

Still suspicious, Logan stared at her for a moment before walking over to the edge where she was pointing to. He looked back at her with an eyebrow arched high. Then a smile spread over his gruff features. Previous argument completely forgotten, the two grinned at each other for a minute before Logan eased down over the rocks and into the shallow water for inspection. Marie lay down over a particularly smooth rock and rested her chin in her hands.

"How are we going to lift it?"

Logan looked up and tapped one of the two steamtrucks with a splash.

"We need rope."



Ten minutes later, Logan returned with every piece of rope he had salvaged swung in a graceful loop across his chest. Marie had barely moved from where she had lain, looking quietly as the sun hung partially hidden behind the horizon. The warm ocean breeze had relaxed her so much, she had closed her eyes and failed to hear Logan approaching. Only when he dropped the rope next to her did she sit upright and smooth out her skirt.

"How long before the sun sets?"

Logan gave the horizon a brief look while his hands starting tying knots without thought.

"'Bout an hour."

Marie looked back down at their treasure and smiled.

"I want to help."

Logan looked at her with a wry smile without a single pause in his knot tying.

"Your highness, I'm shocked."

Marie's face fell immediately.

"Must you always hurt my feelings?"

Logan stopped and gave her an evaluative look. Maybe she was still mad at him. Might as well make peace while he could. She was a lot more pleasant to be around when she was relaxed.

"Look, you can...hold this, while I wrap it around.

Knowing that it was a nothing job, Marie held on end of the rope while Logan jumped into the orangey water and took a huge breath before going under. Still a little upset at the duty he had given her, she sat with her feet dangling when a thought occurred to her. When Logan emerged she was already in the chest deep water.

"I have a better way. You can just pull them through the water and onto the beach. Easier"

Logan looked at the thirty foot trek to the shore. It was soft sand all the way, and a hell of a lot easier than pulling them up out of the water and across a rock ledge. Why didn't he think of that? Giving her a last look, he silently tightened the restraints before lifting them up to his chest and pulling. Marie grinned gleefully and splashed up next to him.

"I had a good idea huh?"

Logan smirked despite himself while he took long deliberate steps. The water actually made the drag easier.

"Yes you did."

Marie practically gushed and Logan shook his head. It was a good idea and he felt stupid he hadn't thought of it first. They reached the shore in no time and Marie was beside herself. He paused and fell to the beach to catch his breath. Marie hummed nervously around the two large steamtrunks, fiddling with the ropes and removing scraps of seaweed from them and he could see her excitement clearly. That and the outline of her body in the very thin, very wet slip.

Jumping up at the thought, Logan grabbed one of the ropes, since gravity now made it impossible to carry two, and started dragging. Marie walked by him, carrying on about what they might find inside. Her theories ran the gamut, and Logan found it an incredible hard walk and not because of the hundred or so pounds he was dragging through a nice quarter mile stretch of beach. Nope, he was just trying to keep his eyes away from the chattering girl beside him. When they finally reached their settlement he had an idea.

"It's almost dark. I'm starting a fire and you should stay while I get the other trunk."

Perking up immediately, Marie went to fetch the wood Logan had collected earlier to add to the fire ring. Before she was done with a second trip, Logan had a small kindling fire burning using only two sticks to start it. She looked at the smoking brush then at him in amazement.

"You are a truly talented man."

Logan chuckled at her genuine wide-eyed approval.

"For a barbarian."

In too good a mood to be egged into a fight, Marie harrumphed and went to fetch more wood. Setting the logs carefully over the growing fire, Logan called out to her.

"I'll be right back."

"Okay, but please hurry."

Logan gave her a final look before walking off. She was already busy sorting through the things he had assembled earlier, completely unaware of her dress clinging to all kinds of places. Maybe it was better when her breasts were flattened and pinned in place. They were less distracting that way. Shaking his head in wonderment, he walked off taking slow steps to give himself time. He needed time. Time to remind himself of all the things he needed to remember. Like the fact that she was only a girl, and that she had a fiancé, and that daddy would hang him, and that it would be just wrong of him to take advantage of the situation. Even though he hadn't had a woman in so long, this one was off limits. Completely. Because, well for so many reasons. And that made him pause and stare out at the water. None of those reasons meant shit to him. There was only one real reason. She didn't want him. And that made him kick the sand in front of him. She really disliked him. He was beneath her and her taste in men ran in much more refined directions. Like the pretty-boy Frenchy. Directions he had never been to. Lifting the rope over his shoulder just as the last of the sun disappeared out of the sky, Logan began dragging. A half hour after he left, Logan was in sights of camp and to his dismay, Marie ran out to meet him.

"What took you so long? I was worried."

Logan heaved the trunk next to it's twin and flexed his hands. Marie was practically jumping all around him. He needed to get it together.

"I rinsed out our clothes and I started the meat roasting."

Logan looked over at the fire. The two thighs were wedged between two sticks she had braced against the rocks circling the fire. Not exactly how he would have done it, but he guessed it would get the job done. He turned to face Marie's proud expression.

"Your highness, I'm impressed."

That made her look down again and stomp away with a grumble. Logan couldn't help but notice how nice she looked when she blushed.

"I really wish you stopped calling me that. My name is Marie Elizabeth. You can call me either one."

Logan chuckled and settled next to the fire to dry his trousers.

"I knew it was Marie something."

He went to get up in search for the poker he found earlier, when she withdrew it from her side and gave it to him with a smile. He took it without saying a word and jabbed a few holes in the meat. Having only had fruit all day, the smell was intoxicating and he was glad for it.

"So can we?"

Logan kept poking at their dinner and didn't meet her gaze. Huge drops of fat were melting off the pork and falling into the fire, making it hiss with added fuel.

"Can we what?"

She dropped to her knees in exasperation.

"You know exactly what."

He smiled. He had to. She was being such a child. Standing up slowly to hide his interest, he withdrew the knife he kept at his back and moved to the huge steamtrunks. Each was about three feet high and five across. Not as impressive as the ones Marie had brought on board, but fine leather nevertheless.

"Well, if you insist."

Marie scampered over to him and settled down comfortably.

"I insist, I insist."

First removing the rope he had secured them with, Logan carefully edged the lock of the first one with his blade. The were cast iron, but wedging the blade tip in between the metal and the leather securely, he sent the metal flying with a good pull. Looking over at Marie's taught expression in the firelight, he swung the cover back in a dramatic sweep. Marie smiled at the blue velvet blanket that covered everything. Passing a hand over it, she looked up at Logan.

"It's dry."

Reaching in and pushing the blanket off, she gasped at the contents. There were books and toiletries, and two stretches of lace. Pilling things excitedly out on the sand, she exclaimed.

"It's all so beautiful. Must have belonged to a lady."

Logan sifted through some frilly things and snorted.

"It figures, Creed would steal from anybody."

Marie kept pouring over everything, finding a silver edged comb and mirror set, she sighed.

"Oh, I thought I'd never see this again"

"Look there's a note there."

Marie stopped clutching her treasure, and looked down. Partially hidden in a book, was a note.

"Should I read it?"

Logan shrugged.

"Why not?"

"Well it might be personal."

He snorted and pointed at some obvious undergarments.

"And all this isn't?"

Marie colored slightly.

"I guess."

Unfolding the fine parchment, Marie turned it slightly to the fire and cleared her throat.

"To my dearest Jean, these are just a few knick-knacks I thought you might be needing. I know you are still settling into married life and trying to get rid of your nosy old aunt, but I couldn't resist. Any news to report? Well, I hope you conceive soon my angel. Give Scott all my love and hugs and kisses for you my doll. With so much love, Aunt Betsy."

Marie closed the letter reverently and tucked it back into the book it was in. Logan noticed how quickly she went from bubbly to sullen. If he knew it would have that effect on her, he would have ripped it to shreads. To make matters worse, she stared tearing.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Well, everything. These things belong to someone and it's wrong to take them."

Logan shook his head.

"We didn't take them, pirates stole them, and this Jean woman whoever she is, I think would have liked for you to have these things instead of lying at the bottom of the sea."

Marie wrinkled her forehead and ran a hand over the silk of a nightgown.

"I guess, you're right. We were so lucky to find them."

She folded the gown and put it delicately back in the trunk.

"It's just that this is like a dowry and I..."

She caught herself before she said it and looked up at Logan. He completed the thought.

"And you had been carrying one too."

Marie nodded in sudden embarrassment, not quite sure why it embarrassed her to let Logan know she was bethroved.

"I was supposed to get married once Poppa was well and Kitty joined us."

Logan caught the adjective right away.

"Supposed to?"

Marie shoved her hand out to him in explanation.

"I lost my ring. In the storm."

She took her hand back as quickly as she had stuck it out.

"It was a sapphire and extremely rare."

Her voice trailed off again and Logan couldn't watch her sit and wring her hands any longer.

"Hey, I'm sure you'll get another one. We should open the other."

Without waiting for an answer, he chucked some of the Jean things back into the Jean trunk and started working around the second trunk's lock. He didn't want to think about Marie's ring. It probably cost more than what he got paid for a whole season's work. Maybe two. And then that frustrated him again. Why would he think about that anyway? Who cared about damned rings? Only seeing Marie wipe at her face out of the corner of his eye, he realized that yes, some people cared a lot.

Logan threw back the second truck lid with less preamble than the first. Inside was a sight much more welcome to him than books and frilly things. He picked up a bottle and showed it at Marie with a grin.

"Rum, the best kind."

Marie smiled faintly and inched closer out of curiosity. Logan took out a few more bottles when he brought up a fragrant bag. He sniffed at it appreciatively.

"Tobacco, but no pipe."

He kept digging and pulled out a funny looking cast iron...thing.

"What is that?"

Logan chucked it to the side.

"It's a spittoon, for chew, but for us, it's a new pot."

Marie raised her eyebrows high. Suddenly more interested, she leaned over the trunk edge and started pulling out some items as well. Boot polish, more rum, a leather overcoat, leather riding gloves, a compass, an axe head wrapped in a skin, some dominoes made of ivory, and the last item which was wrapped in a leather square. Offering it to Logan, Marie watched him unfurl the leather bundle until a thin sliver of metal fell out. She looked up at him, knowing full well he knew what it was.

"A shaving knife and sharpener." He volunteered.

She nodded with a smile.

"Good, you don't have to look quite as barbarian."

She nodded to the scruffy stubble he already had covering his chin.

"Thank you, your highness. I suggest you try the brush as well."

Marie shrunk back and snorted. A hand was immediately at her hair. Logan started packing his things back with a smile At least she wasn't depressed anymore. Hearing the hiss of fat dripping into the fire, Logan turned to check on their dinner. It was well braised and ready. Standing up, he broke off a large palm leaf from a nearby tree and placed the sizzling thighs on it. Cutting a piece off with his knife, he brought it to his lips. The salt water he had rinsed it with gave the meat the perfect seasoning. Biting off another piece, he looked back.

"Marie, come eat."

And damned if she wasn't brushing her hair.

"I was just kidding. You look fine."

It took another minute for her to join him. She brought some fruits as well. Logan cut some meat for her and placed it on a leaf in front of her. Marie looked at it for a second before realizing she had to use her fingers. Dropping the first piece she took, she looked up at Logan sheepishly.

"Hot."

Trying again, she finally managed to get a piece into her mouth. She was never much of a meat eater, but it was good and she was hungry. Losing all self-consciousness quickly enough, Marie ate wholeheartedly while Logan watched. She really did look fine. She had finally let her hair loose and it fluttered in the breeze all around her face. He had been meaning to ask and in their quiet, fight free moment, Logan figured it was a good a time to ask as any.

"How did you get those streaks in your hair?"

Marie shifted a little and dropped the meat she was holding in her greasy fingers. Eventually everyone got around to asking. The direct approach was best.

"When I was little my mother was murdered. I was with her, but I don't remember. When my father found me later that day, I had them. They say it was the shock."

Logan stared at Marie for a minute. She wouldn't make up a story that awful. But awful it was. He instantly regretted asking. As quickly as she had started, she got up and went to the cracked cask filled with water. She rinsed out her hands with a rag and tried to look busy. Not knowing what to do, Logan called out to her.

"I'm sorry."

She just sort of nodded and he could see her rubbing the cross she had around her neck. Not hungry anymore, Logan put the rest of the meat in leaves and in the fire to toast. It would serve well as jerky and preserved, it would draw less attention at night. As if sensing his train of thought, Marie finally spoke out. She was facing the strip of tropical forest not too far off.

"Will they come at night?"

"No, I'll clean everything off and the fire will burn till morning."

Slightly more at ease, Marie moved over to one of the trunks and sat down on it.

Logan cleaned his knife off and looked around for his bloody shirt.

"I rinsed it when you were gone." She pointed at a nearby tree fluttering with petticoats and his shirt. "It's drying, but I'll go get it."

He caught her by the arm.

"That's fine, I don't need it to sleep."

Marie looked down at the ground between them. Seeing the unsure look return, Logan let her arm go and broached the subject he knew was on her mind.

"Um, there's two mats over in the shelter. You can add some of those blankets that you have and it'll be comfortable enough."

She flushed a little and resumed the hand wringing.

"It'll be fine Marie."

Marie fluttered a hand to her cross and looked up at the man staring at her so intensely. He had done so much to keep her comfortable, to keep her alive. He would never hurt her. She had to admit that to herself in all honesty. Not wanting to appear ungrateful, Marie sort of nodded and pushed the Jean trunk open.

"Okay, I'll just get some things."

Her voice was real low, but Logan could tell she was as sure as she was going to get on the matter. Looking over their camp, he went around adding to the fire, covering the food up, arranging things to block out the wind and generally making sure they had good, sturdy cover. When Marie stood up, she had a bundle of things in her arms. Without saying a word, she walked to the little three walled thatched hut, Logan had constructed and started smoothing out towels and blankets for the both of them. Logan watched her move silently.

"I don't need any, you could have them."

Marie stopped her fixing and sat back.

"There's enough. You should be comfortable too."

Logan shrugged and Marie added the blue velvet as a pillow to his side. Logan was still watching her, so he caught her next statement. Had he not been, he would have missed her faint voice.

"I'm going to change. This dress is dirty."

Without looking at him, Marie went behind where she had changed earlier. Checking to see where Logan was, she was surprised to see him unbuttoning his trousers. Eyes wide, she watched as he took the tie out of his hair and fetched one of the rum bottles. Adjusting the trunks again to shield from the direct ocean air he turned and tossed the bottle on his new pillow. Taking the cloth the rum was wrapped in for protection, he dipped it in the cask water before rubbing it over his face, chest, underarms and eventually his feet. Marie's eyes followed the cloth as it traveled across his body.

Even though he had been shirtless all day, she hadn't really allowed herself to look. But she indulged now as he moved in the flickering firelight. She had never really seen someone use their body as well as he. When he moved, all his muscles were fluid and they flexed and moved marvelously. She never really thought about it that way before, but that kind of ease was beautiful. Not like Remy or St. John even, but in a way that was all Logan, he was beautiful. Snapping back into attention when he disappeared into the shadows of the hut, Marie quickly fumbled out of her own slip, cleaned up with it like she had seen Logan do and eased into the one meant for Jean. She noticed dejectedly how snug it was, but since it was a nightgown, at least it went down to her ankles. Emerging from the barrier quickly, she threw the dirty slip to the side and hurried to her place in the hut. It was hard not to be able to see Logan's features in the dark, but she distinctly heard the swish of a bottle being thrown back.

Logan watched as Marie scuttled into her mat and quickly covered in a thin tablecoth that he supposed would make a great blanket. He didn't think it was possible, but he was actually nervous. He knew how hard the whole thing was for her, but there was nothing else he could do to make her realize that she was safe, except maybe stop thinking about her moving in that nightgown four feet away from him. He took another swig to dull that thought when she surprised him by talking.

"It's okay that you asked about my hair. You don't have to feel bad, or anything."

"I didn't think...That must have been very hard for you."

"It was, but I mostly don't remember."

"You miss her."

"Very much."

"Did they ever catch?"

"No......She was a former slave. Black. Many people hated us where we lived."

That took Logan aback. He moved too rest the bottle by his side and thought about that a minute. The great Charles Xavier was married to a slave? All of the neat categories that he had placed him in shattered instantly.

"I had no idea."

"That my mother could be black? Well, she was, and she was so beautiful."

"What was her name?"

"Ororo. She died when I was seven. Kitty was five."

"That's your sister?"

"Yes, she gave me this cross to hold."

Marie held up the artifact in the air. Logan couldn't see it, but he knew it well.

"You'll see her again."

She stood quiet for a long time.

"I hope. Thank you. For everything."

"You don't have to thank me."

"Yes I do, and thank you."

Now it was Logan's turn to be silent. He had not expected this from her. Taking another drink, he thought about all the neat little boxes he had placed her in as well. None seemed fitting at the moment.

"Tomorrow we'll search for water first thing. You can take a bath."

"Are you making fun of me?"

"No. I just know how much you like your bath."

Marie smiled in the dark.

"You are making fun of me."

Logan smiled too.

"Are you thirsty now?"

"A little."

"Like rum?"

A giggle.

"Not really."

"Ever try it?"

"No."

"So how do you know?"

Silence. Than a whole lot of rustling. Logan sat up when he felt her move over towards him.

"Maybe just a little."

Logan grinned and handed her the bottle. Up close, he could see the white of her gown and her hair clearly. She had a little more trouble seeing. Her hand brushed against his arm before getting to where the bottle was.

"Sorry."

Logan could just picture her blush. He was about to warn her about the kick when he heard the liquid swish as she tossed her head back. In almost the same instant, she coughed and made a gagging sound. Logan took the bottle back before she dropped it.

"Are you okay?"

"No......oh my lord, what's in that?"

Logan laughed out loud and wished he could see her expression.

"Just a little sugar cane."

Marie was still coughing, so he patted her back. Eventually she stopped but he kept his hand in place. She noticed it for the first time and swung her head around to see his expression. Only there wasn't any. Only black, but she could feel his breath. Very hot and smelling like rum. She unconsciously leaned into it. Logan felt her do it, felt her breath on him too. Then she pulled back. Logan's hand immediately fell away.

"Um, I don't think I'm thirsty anymore. And I definitely don't like rum."

Logan smiled at the attempt at humor.

"I'm sure."

"Goodnight, Logan."

"Goodnight..."

Looking down at his bottle, he felt along his side for the cap and covered it. On the other side, he heard her move away and settle in. After a long time, where he heard her breathing slow into sleep, he finally ventured a word.

"Marie."
Chapter 6 by Dark Ferrett
VI. Waterfalls and Reinvention

Logan awoke to the sounds of surf. For a minute, he wondered why he was so still. He always woke to gentle swaying but today it was different. Even though he could hear it, he wasn't on the water. And he had a pillow. Which meant…He opened his eyes and glanced over. There was a woman all right, but not one he didn't know a name to. Closing his eyes again, he let a slow groan escape him. Storm, island, Marie. Funny how soon he had forgotten.

Amazed that so much could happen in only two days, Logan flexed his toes and let out a lazy yawn. The roof he had thatched with palm leaves blocked out the light well, but the brightness that came from the entrance was blinding. Shifting a little to avoid it, he felt the bottle he had tucked into his side. Marie had drunk some last night. Smiling at the thought, he finally sat up and cracked his neck muscles. He didn't think it was possible, but the mats and blankets had been more comfortable than his usual hard bunk. Plus he didn't wake up to Bishop's snoring. The man could snore from the minute his head hit the pillow to the minute he opened his eyes. Wondering briefly if his old bunkmate was still alive, Logan flexed his hands and cleared his mind.

It would do no good to wonder about that now. He had to deal with his situation head on and for once he was responsible for more than just himself. Tracing over the healing scar across his left palm, where he slashed his hand out of carelessness, Logan wondered how long it would be. Without Marie noticing, he had been on the constant lookout over towards the horizon for white sails. They were doing okay for now, but Marie might get sick or worse, get hurt. And no matter how you sliced it, they were on an island with no way off. They were trapped.

He looked over at her sleeping form. She was on her back, with her hair fanned out perfectly around her and her hands crossed over her stomach. He quirked an eyebrow and briefly wondered if they taught sleeping gracefully at finishing schools. He had never seen someone sleep so perfectly straight. It just couldn't be natural. Resisting the urge to pull at the toes poking out from under the short tablecloth she was using as a blanket, Logan sighed to himself and walked out of the shelter to face the obnoxiously bright day. It was better if he kept his hands to himself and let her highness sleep. She sure wasn't used to sleeping on the ground and she would wake up complaining about backaches soon enough.

Taking a drink of the rum to rinse his mouth before spitting it out, Logan dropped the bottle in the sand and did a little survey work around the camp. Satisfied that nothing was touched, he went to fetch the clothes Marie left hanging on a tree to dry. Impressed that she could take it upon herself to actually wash, he turned to go back when he spotted them. His empty stomach tightened. Around the tree, not ten yards from the camp, were hoof tracks. He bent down and traced them with a finger. Two or three, one very large, just sort of trampling around, probably to get a good sniff at the clothes, that led out and back into the jungle. Tightening his grip on the clothes he held, Logan stood up from his haunches and headed back. The boar were obviously bolder than he thought, and although they stood away from the fire the first night, they wouldn't be afraid for long and that posed a very real threat.



Marie stretched languidly with a soft moan. Feeling the unfamiliar itchiness of Battenburg lace instead of satin over her body, she looked down with a start. Storm, island, Logan. It all came back in a rush and she stood with a hand over her eyes for a full minute before venturing another little stretch. And everything seemed to pull at once. Sighing in defeat, she decided to ease over to her side before experimentally trying to rise herself to a sitting position. Not quite oriented yet, she arched her back softly when she heard a chuckle not too far off. It was Logan. Laughing at her as usual. Not in the mood to deal with his rudeness, Marie threw him a withering look before yawning and stretching again.

"Morning highness."

Marie ignored the greeting and tried to stand. Letting out a groan, she managed to get to her feet before unsteadily walking out of the hut and slowly sitting down on the rum trunk. The day was unbelievably bright and she was still blinking painfully at the sun.

Logan looked up just as Marie curled herself into a fetal position on the flat leather surface of the trunk. It felt surprisingly good for her back. Deciding that he was not going to engage in an argument this early, Logan grinned to himself and resumed his work without commenting. Marie napped and lounged for another twenty minutes on the trunk before becoming lucid enough to realize that Logan was working on something. And he had shaven. The silver mirror was by the cask of saltwater.

"What are you doing?"

Logan paused from his furious scraping and held up a long wooden stick.

"Making a handle for the ax head to chop wood"

Marie sighed and rubbed her stomach. It was too early to really do anything and already Logan was all shirtless and sweaty.

"That's nice."

Logan looked at her expression. She was almost completely awake, but thankfully had not asked about the boar. Maybe she had forgotten, but it was definitely on his mind. He had set to work on the axe right away, shaping a handle with his knife and shreading the leather coat they had found into strips to lash it together, but he had no intensions of scaring her with what he had found.

"There's fruit left over there. You should eat."

Marie wrinkled her nose a little.

"I'm really not hungry."

"I'm heading out soon and I want you to come. We'll be gone for a while and you should eat."

That perked her up right away.

"Where are we going?"

Logan gave his final scrape with his knife and stood up. Testing it with a few swings in the air, he threw the ax into a tree trunk about ten feet away. Marie wondered where exactly he picked up all those little talents. She made a mental promise to ask later when he wasn't throwing sharp things.

"I need to scout the area, and we need water."

Marie sat up and finally looked ready to face the day. Despite the almost being mauled by a wild boar part, she had really enjoyed going into the tropical forest the day before. She flung the Jean trunk open and searched around for another slip she had seen. Running the comb through her hair quickly, she went to change. Surprised at her agreeable nature, Logan decided to take advantage and leave a little earlier than he had expected. Gathering the things they would need, he remembered something.

"Where are your slippers?"

Marie tied her skirt behind her back and stepped out from behind what she now considered her changing area.

"I left them drying off the shelter."

She went to fetch them and sat down in the sand to tie them on. Logan looked over and immediately dropped the tie he was gathering his hair into. He had to stop doing that. But it seemed like every time she stepped out from behind that area she had on less and less. He recalled the first time he told her to loose the dress. Told her he had seen it all. But then that wasn't exactly correct, because he had never seen someone quite like her. She was beautiful, and not just any kind of beautiful, but a unique kind. It was the skin, he realized. And the hair. Who had skin like that? Or streaks for that matter. Even with a few days of steady sun, it was still perfect and pale and soft. He remembered how soft her hands felt when she touched him in her room. Looking down at the remembrance of the argument that followed, Logan picked up the tie he had dropped and tried to remember what he was going to do with it. Without realizing it, Marie had gotten up and walked over to him. Picking it from his fingers she laughed.

"Need help with that Logan?"

He turned but she was already behind him. He froze completely when the hands he had just been thinking about threaded through his hair.

"Do you think we'll come across any more boar?"

Logan started to shake his head but her fingers at his jaw stilled him.

"Stay still."

She finished gathering his hair and tied the suede string with a knot and a bow. He turned and inadvertently glanced down at her bare shoulders. No sleeves this time, only straps. Marie stepped back quickly.

"No, but just in case, I'll be ready."

In an effort to instill confidence and occupy his thoughts with something other than creamy skin, Logan resheathed his knife into his back and walked over to the tree holding the ax and threaded it into his waistband at his side. Marie watched him with a smile.

"What about me?"

He huffed and handed her a sling he made with the pockets of the leather coat. It had some fruit left over from the day before. She crossed it over her chest wordlessly. She was dying of anticipation and Logan grinned at her before crossing the two sleeves he had cut over his own. Marie narrowed her eyes in curiosity.

"What are those for?"

Logan beamed at his quick thinking.

"They're for carrying water back."

Marie covered her giggle.

"They'll leak."

Logan dropped his grin and turned to walk away. He had the compass in his hand.

"If you want to stay, then stay."

Marie ran after him.

"I'm sure it'll work."



They walked in silence for a few minutes, falling into an easy rhythm in the remarkably clear forest floor. Logan was about to start whistling when Marie began to go through her extensive list of questions about the plants, sounds, and animals around them in between bites of fruit. When he grunted enough `I don't knows', Marie then abandoned her questions to start lecturing on what she did know. Logan walked on in amazement. Marie was apparently very well read and felt a need to share, but did he really need to know about plant digestion? She was halfway through a story about how she and Kitty once put Mrs. Witherstone's little dog to sleep by feeding him some herbs she read about when a noise caught Logan's interest. He stopped in his tracks and Marie walked right into him. Turning around he put a finger to her lips before she could ask.

"Listen."

"B-boar?"

Logan shook his head no and they looked at each other, trying hard to listen. And then a grin spread across Logan's face. Without giving Marie a chance to hear it too, Logan grabbed her hand and started running.

"Wait! Where are we going? Logan!!"

He kept going until they reached a clearing. Marie stumbled behind him and almost lost her balance on the moist ground when she skidded into his back again. The noise was now a grumble and they both stared at the beautiful creek that tumbled over a fifty foot ledge and formed a shallow pool before meandering into a lazy stream and winding back through the lush greenery. Her throat, suddenly reminded that it hadn't had water in almost two days, propelled Marie to drop her sling and jump in without any further thought.

"Marie! Wait!"

Logan cursed under his breath and dove in with a grin. Marie wasn't really a swimmer, but the pool was shallow enough on the edges for her to wade to were the water cascaded over the ledge. Splashing under the crystal clear spray, Marie squealed at the unexpected coolness of the water. Taking huge gulps from her cupped hands, she turned to find Logan cutting through the center of the pool.

"Logan, it's fresh water!"

Logan swung his arms in an easy stroke before emerging up to the ledge where she was standing precariously behind the falling wall of water. Marie squealed again in laughter as he picked her up and flung her into the pool. She landed in a loud splash below.

"My turn!"

Stepping up onto the rock ledge where Marie had been standing, Logan took a long drink with his mouth open under the spray before turning and flinging his arms into the air with a primal yell. Marie giggled at him as she struggled to keep wading in the cool waters. Screaming at the top of his lungs, Logan jumped off the ledge and landed with a huge splash at the center of the pool below. Almost drowning in the wave he created, Marie struggled to keep afloat while laughing her head off. Logan emerged from the water and shook his head to splash her with the water from his hair. Marie bobbed helplessly since she had practically stopped breathing in her fit of laughter.

Not wanting her to drown because of his monkey business, Logan pulled her to him in a gracious sweep. Marie giggled harder and clung to him for support. Without thinking, she wrapped her legs around his hips and swung her arms around his neck. Still grinning, Logan stopped moving when he suddenly felt her body brush against his. Opening the hand he had at her back to better support her weight, he stared straight at her laughing mouth. His whole body responded to her ringing laugh. Not able to resist the feel of her so close, he drew her in sharply. Her breasts were now flat against his chest, just slightly below the water, there noses just inches apart.

The sudden movement cut Marie's breath and her laughter died suddenly as she woke up to realization that she was flush against Logan's body. But she didn't move. Hypnotized by the dark eyes that bore into hers, Marie stared at him widely without taking a breath. Without removing her gaze from his, she noticed his jaw twitch in her peripheral vision. She wanted to get away, run actually, but the dark eyes held her in place. They were so dangerously close. Taking a sharp breath in, Marie blinked and pulled her arms back. Pressing her hands against his unmoving chest, she shoved him away with all her might. Logan let go immediately as shocked by her reaction as to the fact that he had nearly kissed her.

Moving slowly, he waded past her and heaved himself up on the rocks that bordered the pool. Marie stood stock still for another few moments. Eventually snapping out of her shock, she climbed out and wrung some of the water from her dress. She watched numbly as Logan got the sleeves he had dropped earlier and filled them with water.

"Let's get the water and go."

Marie nodded again, glad that there was something else to occupy her mind and her hands too for that matter. But his voice was low and gruff, and she knew very well that she had hurt his feelings. She wanted to apologize, tell him something, but she was still to disbelieving to make her mouth work. Collecting the slings, she sat in her wet slippers on a rock and chastised herself for being so weak. At first she was scared by his action, but then it had felt so good, so right. She had been a second away from kissing him. She touched her lips at the thought. What would her mother think? And Remy?

Suddenly remembering the night he promised to be faithful to her and love her always, Marie frowned. It was the night he proposed. Her father and Kitty had been so happy. She had made a good match and it was the last time they were all together. Her father left for the Americas three days later. Not wanting to look at Logan, Marie turned towards the waterfall again. It really was beautiful. The entire thing was protected and shielded by tall trees, giving it a soft glow. The flowers and vines surrounding the rocks and ledge smelled heavenly. The most well planned garden couldn't begin to compare. Looking down at her hands in time to catch a tear fall on one, Marie thought about her ring. Kitty said it was the most beautiful ring she had ever seen. It was in the garden that he had proposed. And careless as ever, she had lost it. Wiping her face, Marie brought her ring finger to her heart. Not two weeks away and she had already managed to break her vow of faithfulness in her desire.

Logan watched Marie out of the corner of his eye. She was pretty calm about things. Despite the fact that he had nearly forced himself on her, she had shocked him by reiterating the interest before jumping back. But then it was to be expected. He could see it clearly in how she twisted her ring finger. His heart ached at that. She had had a ring, and just because it wasn't there didn't mean she wasn't promised to someone else. Tying the tops of the sleeves, Logan swung them across his chest, fitted his weapons and stood up. He walked over to her slowly and watched her snap out of her thoughts and start wringing the water at the hem of her slip nervously.

"Are you ready?"

"Sure."

She didn't look up at him and that was not a good sign. Feeling worse by the minute, Logan started walking back from where they came silently. Marie followed him numbly, glad that the humid air would dry her dress at least. Occasionally Marie would stop and collect fruit, slowly filling the sling at her hip but the entire trip back was a stark contradiction to the trip there. They walked in complete silence the entire hour. The only sound was the sloshing of the water in the two sleeves and their steps on the ground below. Each was lost in their own thoughts, thoughts about guilt, need and a blue sapphire ring that rested at the bottom of a deep and unyielding ocean.



When the two emerged from the tropical forest, they breathed matching sighs of relief that they would at least not be tortured with only the sound of the other's breathing. Logan immediately emptied the sleeves into their spittoon. Covering it to avoid contamination, he glanced at the horizon and the position of the sun. It was midday and he had to catch dinner. Still not facing Marie, he grabbed the smoked meat he had preserved the day before and a few items he would need from the rum trunk. Remembering the half bottle he had left in the sand, he gathered it as well and headed off down the beach without a single word.

Marie watched Logan avoid her with growing trepidation. He was packing and leaving. Where was he going? And how long was he going for? She wanted to ask but she fought the urge. He was mad at her. And why wouldn't he be when she flung herself at him then pushed him away like a leper. So she watched him walk away towards where they had found the trunks. When his long strides turned the bend where she could no longer see, Marie gulped down her fear and wondered if her father would be proud of her now. The answer was disheartening.

What could she do? The years she spent learning how to play the piano to entertain company, how to embroider perfect handkerchiefs for gift giving, and how to speak French and Italian to better understand operas were a joke. What good were all those things when everyone else knew how to work and live with their own two hands. She looked at her hands again, turning them over in the sun. She would hold them to her mother's all the time when she was little, loving the way her mother's caramel skin and her pale one intermingled when she held them. Her mother didn't have use for any of the things Marie knew. She was a free spirit and when she was alive, life was very different. No gloves, no extraneous lessons of things she would never care for, no books balanced precariously over her head for entire mornings. The gardens were her home and she was so happy.

Marie looked over to the horizon. Logan looked at least once every half hour. He did it when he thought she wasn't looking. Probably hoping for a rescue to once and for all get rid of her. He called her majesty and highness since day one when she acted so badly towards him. He was probably used to women that never complained about their beds or their bathwater. Women that could do anything and not need to pay to have people do it for them. Fleeting thoughts of his hands on her back and his chest against hers made Marie shake her head and stand up. She needed to keep busy.

Looking around the camp, she decided to clean up, fold the sheets, and sort the rum and Jean trunks. Realizing they needed a curtain to keep the sun out in the morning, she fitted the hut with one as well. Then she had nothing to do, so she combed the beach for the smaller items Logan left behind. When she was done two hours later, she had a nice pile of firewood, a broken pair of eyeglasses and what looked like a bent spoon. Sorting the wood like she had seen Logan do the night before, she was about to start rubbing sticks together when she heard a strange cawing sound. Marie froze and wondered where Logan was. Not knowing what else to do with herself, she eventually ventured into the forest to track the sound. It didn't sound dangerous and there was no way she could resist her curiosity by sitting and doing nothing.



Logan walked towards camp in a slow pace, unsure if he was ready to face Marie again. He brought the empty rum bottle back in one hand and two cleaned and gutted fish in the other. He had thought and contemplated for hours and was not one step closer to knowing what to do about the Marie situation. Eventually the sun began to set so his time had run out. Rounding the last corners and nearing the last stretch of beach he was quick to notice that it was significantly clear. Still observing the difference, he approached the camp and began to wonder where Marie was. Dropping the fish in a leaf, he rinsed his hands and called out to her. Nothing. Sobering quickly, he checked the hut. Nothing. Withdrawing his knife, Logan looked towards the forest. There was only one other place.

"Marie! Marie!"

Logan alternated between running and walking for almost fifteen minutes before he heard an answer.

"Logan?"

He stopped to orient himself and wait for another call before heading off towards it.

"Logan, I'm here!"

He pushed through the remaining vegetation and stopped short at seeing Marie with a huge parrot on her shoulder. She grinned at his expression, and all conflict forgotten, Logan quirked his eyebrow and put his knife away.

"What the hell is that?"

Marie looked over her shoulder and feed the enormous red, green and yellow bird a seed.

"He's my parrot."

Logan snorted and then noticed the sleeves hanging off her shoulders.

"What were you doing?"

Marie fed the bird, who flapped his wings excitedly, and shrugged.

"Just went to get more water and some plants."

Logan stared at her for a minute. She was completely enthralled with the colorful bird, practically ignoring him. She didn't look mad at all. Finally realizing it was getting late and boars could sneak up on them, Logan took the sleeves off of her.

"Let's go, it's late."

To his complete surprise and slight annoyance, Marie walked past him and took the lead. He followed silently while she fussed with the bird and led them out of the forest through areas he didn't recognize. Getting to the camp, she placed him up on a perch he hadn't noticed before neither. Logan eyed her suspiciously. She was in a remarkably good mood.

"Where exactly did you get that thing?"

She smiled and started taking some plants out of her sling. He emptied the water into the spittoon.

"He was hurt, his wing was bent and I fixed it. See?"

She lifted one of his enormous wings. There was a stick tied with lace to it's wing. She pet it briefly and the thing cawed.

"It's loud."

"It's beautiful."

Logan huffed and started the fire.

"You've been busy."

She smiled as she started stripping the aloe.

"But you can't wander off like that."

"I was careful."

"That's not the point. You don't have a weapon."

He wrinkled his brow. He wasn't planning on saying anything, but she had shaken him up a bit.

"And last night the boars came to the beach."

Marie dropped what she was doing to her lap.

"When? Why didn't you tell me?"

Logan frowned.

"It was at night. I saw the prints, and I didn't want to scare you."

Marie thought for a minute before resuming her scraping of the aloe. Logan looked at the odd spikes.

"What is that?"

"It's aloe. It's for the skin, to not burn. All my favorite boutiques had products made with this."

He watched her scrape the gel and put it in a large shell. She was checking the horizon. It was her favorite part of the day. He was spearing the fish over the fire when he realized she was walking off, but he let her go without saying anything. She liked to be by the shore when it set and it had become a ritual of some sort. Watching her walk away, he thought about the situation. They had two weapons, an ax and a knife. She was going to have to get familiar with one or the other starting tomorrow.



Logan was tending the fire and debating whether or not to go after her when he heard her footsteps approaching. It had been dark for some time now and he had been worried. But really, what could happen to her sitting on a beach anyway? He was starting to scare himself. Who new responsibility could be so consuming? About to ask exactly what she thought she was doing, he stopped short when she dropped two petticoat bags she was carrying. She was slightly out of breath.

"What's that for?"

Marie walked over to the fresh water for a drink. She had a found a nice shell to use as a cup.

"It's to keep the boar away. Cracked and broken seashells. They have hoofed feet, so we lay down a line a few feet from the forest line, around the camp and they won't cross it because it's too sharp."

Logan looked at the girl take a delicate sip of her water. Pinky sticking out and everything.

"That's a good idea."

"I know."

He chortled and went to pick up the sacks of broken shells. He was dragging them towards the forest line when Marie grabbed a burning piece of wood as a torch and followed behind him. Together they had a protective barrier of seashells around the camp in no time. Marie had on a smile the whole time. She even teased him a little on the way back.

"Admit it, it was fabulously good idea."

Logan bent down to check on the fish. They are were done.

"Yes, it was an excellent idea."
Chapter 7 by Dark Ferrett
VII. Books and Aloe

They had dinner in pleasant silence after boar proofing the camp with the shells. Watching Marie chew on some fruit, Logan wondered what prompted such a big change. She seemed almost happy to be there. About to ask her about it, he was stopped again when she got up and walked to the Jean trunk. Sorting through the dozen or so books, she made a selection and moved to the fire to sit. Starting on page one, she began to read to herself. Not sure he should interrupt, Logan sighed in frustration and cleaned up. Eventually he was done and she was still reading, lost in a private world of letters and words so foreign to him. He knew from watching her countless hours on the deck of the Esmeralda that she could do it for hours on end without so much as looking up. It was frustrating in a way, because he was alone now with nothing to do except listen to the surf.

Going to the rum trunk, he threw on his shirt, opened a second bottle and eased back with a piece of wood he figured he could fashion into a pipe of some sort for his tobacco. He worked at it for an eternity, carefully shaving slices of wood with his knife, while watching Marie's eyes move back and forth on a page. Eventually she eased onto her stomach in the sand for a more comfortable position. A short while later, he had had all the silence he could take.

"Do you want a drink?"

She didn't look up or even smile at the memory.

"No, thank you."

He capped the bottle and threw it to the side. On to the more direct approach.

"What are you reading?"

"The Illiad."

Logan nodded and that got Marie's attention.

"Have you read it before?"

He stared at her for a minute. Was she serious?

"I can't read."

Marie blinked at him. Logan resumed his tinkering. The only person he knew that could read was Magnus. And he was pretty lousy at it he assumed from all the fights he would get into with accountants and financiers. As a sailor, it wasn't a necessity and as a commoner, a guaranteed improbability. But Logan had never felt embarrassed by it before. Shaving a large chunk of his rapidly dwindling pipe, he cursed himself for having started down this path of conversation.

"Would you like to read?"

Logan searched Marie's face for a hint of laughter. There wasn't any.

"What do you mean?"

She closed the book and sat up. The parrot cawed from his perch.

"I could teach you if you'd like."

Logan snorted and shook his head.

"You teach me how to read? That's stupid."

Marie crawled over to his side of the fire on her knees.

"It's not stupid. Reading is a fine and entertaining past-time as well as a necessity. And I happen to be an excellent tutor."

Logan frowned.

"I didn't say reading was stupid, I said teaching me was stupid."

He tossed the wood that would never be a pipe to the side and started to sharpen his knife with the stone the shaving knife came with.

"That's still not stupid. It would be a grand thing if you read."

Logan swiped the stone across the blade edge in a deliberately wide arc.

"Because it'd make me less of a Barbarian?"

Marie sat back on her legs.

"I didn't say that."

"But that's what you meant."

"No, I didn't. Must you argue for everything?"

Logan didn't answer and resumed his sharpening. There was no way he would let her teach him. It was humiliating. Beside the fact that she already thought he was a savage, that would prove it to him too. Frustrated, he took another drink. Marie surprised him by speaking up again after a long stretch of silence.

"If you teach me how to fish and hunt, I'll gladly teach you how to read."

Logan wiped at his lips and put the bottle down.

"What?"

"You heard me, teach me the things you know, and I'll teach you things I know. Like a trade. That way you won't be embarrassed and I'll learn to defend myself."

Logan leaned forward and repeated slowly into her face.

"I am not embarrassed."

Marie rolled her eyes and opened her book again.

"Nevermind. I knew you wouldn't go for it."

Logan leaned back and watched her. So he was embarrassed. And she knew it. So what? It didn't matter because reading was something he never needed before anyway. He resumed his careful sharpening and thought about her words. It was actually not a bad idea to teach her how to fish and things, but to have her realize how ignorant he was would not be easy. He shot a look past the warmth of the fire and to the forest swaying behind them.

She was taking to wandering away more and more. It was troubling in a way, because not only did it mean she needed him less, but that she ran into more dangerous situations without him. In the time she was gone, she had wandered around alone or hours more interested in her bird than the dangers everywhere. The thought he had had earlier returned to gnaw at him. She did need to learn how to handle herself and if that meant having to suffer humiliation, so be it.

He was about to tell her he would agree on her little trade when the parrot cawed and she squealed. It had swooped down to her shoulder and was flapping his good wing into her hair. She tried to soothe him while she giggled and reprimanded.

"Hey, are you trying to scare me to death?"

She dug into a nearby shell for more seeds. Giving him a few, she pet him until he calmed down. Walking back over to the perch she added some seeds to keep him busy.

"We should cook that thing tomorrow."

Marie eyes widened in fear.

"You wouldn't dare!!"

Logan grinned and continued his purposeful sharpening. Marie ran over and fell to her knees beside him.

"Please don't hurt him. He's really tame and I'm going to teach him how to talk."

Logan shot up an eyebrow at her and she sunk back.

"I am! They are capable of saying many things. You'll see."

Knowing she wasn't going to convince him, she went to pick up her book again, but an itch caused her to look back at her shoulder. She ventured a hand to the tender area and hissed in pain. Logan perked up immediately.

"What's wrong?"

"My shoulder. I think I'm getting a burn and parrot just scratched me."

Tossing the knife and sharpener to the side, Logan scooted over to where Marie was kneeling in the sand.

"Let me see."

Marie turned slightly and Logan brushed her hair back to the other side for a better view. He frowned. It wasn't much of a scratch or sunburn for that matter, but Marie's delicate skin didn't take kindly to either things.

"Well?"

Logan ventured a hand across the scratch. She flinched back slightly.

"You need to clean it. Maybe with the rum."

Marie turned to face him with wide eyes.

"That will burn!"

"Yes, but I'll be better than an infection. This is bleeding a little."

Before she had time to process that, Logan reached for the bottle and the towel it had been wrapped in. Marie bit her lower lip and moved her hair to one side.

"Maybe afterwards, you can put some of that stuff you found. You said it was for skin."

Marie perked up again.

"You're right."

She went to fetch the aloe in a shell and sat before Logan again.

"Brace yourself."

She did, but it made no difference. The alcohol burned the open flesh and Marie groaned in pain. Logan apologized profusely to her back, but kept dabbing at it anyway. When it stopped bleeding completely, he looked at the aloe questioningly.

"How does this work?"

Marie kept her eyes closed.

"Just rub some on."

He took a scoop and was instantly surprised at it's coolness. That itself would make it good for burns, but still debating the merits of what he was doing, Logan eased it over Marie's shoulders. The gel was green but translucent with a fresh, heady, herbal scent. Melting at the warm temperature of her skin, it dissolved perfectly, leaving a slightly slippery feel to it.

Lost in the smoothness, Logan breathed in the scent and eased in slightly towards her neck with his eyes closed. It was a graceful neck, and sliding slippery fingers along it, he marveled at how perfect it could be. Moving down on either side of her neck, his hands eventually reached the straps of her slipdress, but oblivious to it, Logan kept going, taking the straps down over her shoulders with the sweep of his hands.

Now firmly gripping her arms, Logan felt Marie turn. He opened his eyes only to find hers staring back. They were wide and panicked and Logan wondered what he had done. Then he looked down. The straps of her dress were tangled in his hands, hovering on her upper arms. His gaze widened, because the action brought her bodice down, revealing soft mounds of flesh achingly beautiful in the flickering firelight. And she was breathing hard. He could see clearly in the way her chest rose and fell. His eyes snapped back up to hers. She was terrified, but knowing that he couldn't walk away, couldn't pretend she wasn't in his arms, couldn't deny that he wanted her so bad, Logan ignored the fear and swept down to meet her lips.

The kiss wasn't any kind of soft or gentle, it was full of need and desire. Crushing into her, Logan felt Marie push back with a muffled protest, but he couldn't let her go. Moving a hand up into her hair, Logan brought her face up to him and pressed urgently. A few seconds later, she stopped squirming, a few seconds after that she leaned back into him willingly and eventually her arms wrapped around his neck. Already flush against his body, Logan pulled Marie even closer with his hand splayed over the small of her back.

Lost in unfamiliar sensations, Marie withered. She still wanted to run, but her body transpired against her. It arched into Logan's arms and relished the feel of his soft lips. The same lips that were prying her mouth open. Suddenly terrified again, Marie went to pull back, but he was relentless. Her lips gave way under his insistence and he swept the inside of her mouth and tangled with her tongue. Shocked, Marie opened her eyes and used the hands she had around his neck to now push at his chest.

""L-l-logan."

It was a plaintive plea and Logan snapped out of himself long enough to realize she was about to cry. He released his grip, only to have her gasp as she stood and fought to keep her slip front from falling down. Pressing on the bodice with her hand, she backed into the rum trunk with a thud. Not wanting her to run away, Logan reached out but kept his hand hovering in the distance between them. His brain fought the urge his hand had to finish reaching and touching her. They had not wavered their gaze the whole entire time and were still panting from the searing kiss they had shared. Marie brought a hand to her abused lips. They tasted like rum.

"Marie, I…"

Logan closed his mouth and tried again, but nothing came out. He stepped forward, but every step he took, she took one around the trunk in response. Eventually Marie closed her eyes and went to turn around. Logan watched in horror as her tears gathered at the corner of her eyes. She was so ashamed, so scared of him. He couldn't let her go without telling her he was sorry, that she hadn't done anything wrong. But she just wanted to get away. She still felt his lips burning on hers and the thought was as attractive as it was repelling. But she couldn't do it. It was wrong.

Then she turned. He grabbed at her hand before he could think of it and she stumbled back, right into his arms again. She was so close. Her body froze, but his reacted. He kissed her again, without thinking whatsoever, only feeling. She tasted wonderful, of the sweet fruits she knew so much about. He held on tightly, backing into the wood division where she changed. It was to keep her from him, but feeling the silk of her lips against his, Logan knew nothing could keep her from him now.

Marie could no longer fight what was happening. She ached for him, a wonderful, horrible ache that only wanted him closer. Her arms were dangling at her side, but she needed him closer still. She plunged her hands into his hair, pulling at him, bringing him to her to consume. She had no idea how to respond to his urging mouth, but his hand at her neck prompted her to open her mouth to him and let him lead. And that he did. He probed and massaged and tasted until her lips ached and neither could hardly breathe any longer.

Knowing she couldn't possibly be breathing anymore, Logan pulled back an inch from her face. Her eyes were still closed and panting wildly, Logan watched her heavy lashes rest on her cheeks. His thumbs made little circles on her temples and when she finally trusted herself enough to open her eyes, all he could see was desire. Not fear, but want. It scared him a little, because that was the real reason he hadn't touched her. But there it was, clear as day, and just as suddenly there was something else. A familiar flash of shame. She broke his gaze and looked down at the hands she placed on his shoulders and shivered a little. Logan's heart turned. He had been wrong. What had stopped them wasn't her lack of interest, and definitely not his. It was her propriety, her well-instilled sense of shame and restraint and embarrassment. But it was who she was, what they had made her. And he couldn't undo her world. This was only a brief respite from that world of rules and image. She would return to it, and he couldn't disgrace her that way.

Moving a hand down her face, he lifted her chin to meet his gaze again. He didn't know how to say it, but she needed to understand. He would show her by kissing her again. A soft lingering kiss that was a sigh compared to the others. One to soothe the lips they had so furiously ground into each other. He moved to her jaw, feathering kisses slowly up it's curve to her ear. She moved her hands back up to the hair tangled at the base of his neck. The brush of his skin on her felt so exquisite, so divine. She brushed her lips against his long sideburns, wanting to feel their texture, their scratch against her. Although he had shaved that morning, he already had stubble covering his chin and that texture inflamed her. She gasped and Logan stopped his kissing and breathed against her skin. Dropping his lips to her shoulder, he kissed it delicately before taking the straps he had pushed off and setting them firmly back up again. He kissed at one briefly, then looked up.

"I'm sorry Marie."

She blinked at him a few times, turning a bright red and looking down again. She actually sunk a little into the planks she was pressed into.

"Umm, it's okay. I, we…"

The parrot cawed and he smiled at her. She didn't want to stop. That was all he needed. The realization was amazing. Not able to stand seeing her so uncomfortable, Logan pulled her into an embrace. She complied wholeheartedly and wrapped her arms low on his waist. He held her for a minute before kissing the top of her head and finding her hand. Stopping only to pick up the knife he dropped in the sand, he sheathed it in it's leather and walked around the fire.

Marie followed numbly. She knew where they were going and it terrified her all over again. She was about to protest when he pulled back the curtain, but in an unforeseen move, he pulled her forward and kissed her again. Lost in his touch already, Marie wrapped herself around him and when Logan pulled back, she was shocked to be lying by him. There was a new moon, so there was absolutely no moonlight, but the fire reflected somewhat through the curtain and lit the room in subtle dark orange. Able to make out his dark features in the light, Marie stared at Logan so close to her. His face was only inches away, and not resisting the temptation, she ran her fingers over his jaw, his profile, his eyebrows, and especially his lips. It was bold of her, but she wanted to touch all of him, if only to memorize the lines.

The exploration prompted Logan to close his eyes and concentrate on pacing. He loved the silk of her hands and he let her explore at her own pace. When he finally opened his eyes, Marie eased down to meet his lips. Logan smiled triumphantly under their light pressure. She wanted him and that thought was magnificently arousing. Rubbing her sides gently as she proceeded to softly kiss all the places she had already touched on his face, Logan growled low in his chest. The sound made Marie pull back and cock her head to one side. Logan opened his eyes and grinned. Marie brought a hand to stop her giggle and then placed her head over his chest to hear the sound closer.

"You're purring!"

"I'm happy."

That made her smile vanish. Running her hands over the white shirt, Marie sighed and turned her face slightly to kiss the spot over his heart where his shirt was open. The grumble deepened and she wondered why she was still there instead of the furthest stretch of beach away from him. Logan noticed the change and buried a hand in her hair.

"Are you okay?"

Marie blushed in the dark. Logan didn't see it, but he could feel the heat of her cheeks on his chest.

"I shouldn't be doing this."

Logan swallowed the lump in his throat and the grumble in his chest was completely gone now.

"Do you want to stop?"

Marie stopped breathing and racked her brain.

"I don't want to, you feel so…nice."

Logan smiled despite his turmoil. He never would have thought of that one. He picked her up by the shoulders and dragged her up to eye-level. Without saying a word, he sat up and pulled the shirt he was wearing over his head. Tossing it to the side, he mimicked what Marie had been doing earlier and kissed random spots around her face until he reached her mouth. But when he tasted her, it was an inevitability to surrender completely. They shared a staggering kiss that spoke of connection and desire. Unable to keep his hands from wandering, Logan felt along her thighs all the way up to her waist. Hesitant at the hands under her dress Marie tried to stop, but his lips made that impossible. Pulling the tie from Logan's hair completely off, she savored the feel of his long silky strands brushing the sides of her face when he bent over her. And he was relentless in his kissing, occasionally moving down to her neck to give her time to catch her breath, Logan indulged in tasting every bit of her. Suddenly remembering something, he pulled back. Marie's eyes fluttered open at the loss of heat.

"How's your back?"

She slowed her panting enough to answer.

"Better."

Looking at how nice her chest looked when she was panting, Logan decided it was time to loose the dress. He dove right back into her neck, but his hands were now kneading her. Marie gasped when she felt them, but couldn't comment with the mouth suddenly over hers. When he pulled back, all her complaints were forgotten. He was working soft circles into her flesh and the friction of his hardened hands on her breasts was unbearable. Moaning slightly, she squirmed under the feel. Logan took no time in kissing a trail across her collarbone and down her chest. Marie's hands were in his hair, so Logan pulled back in order to open the tie that held the ruffled neckline in place. Not sure what to expect Marie looked up at him and moved her hands down to his shoulders. Logan felt her hesitation and kissed her again before slowly tugging the top of the slip away from her. Marie's heart pounded and she watched him do it. His eyes got wider and not able to control the shame that ran so deep in her, Marie crossed her arms over her chest and eased back a little. Logan pinned her with his body and brought her chin up to meet his gaze.

"Hey, I'm not going to hurt you."

Marie stared at the slightly dilated eyes. His breath was so hot on her, his taste so intoxicating. She looked down again. His chest was heaving in the wan light, making her body stir with need.

"I know."

Logan kissed her again, pining her arms between them. Pulling back slowly, he ran his hands along her face a minute before moving down to her breasts. She still had her arms crossed over them, but the burn his lips caused made her want to pull him closer. Lifting them once again into his long hair, Marie moaned as he descended on her flesh again, taking a deliciously slow time kissing every square inch of her. And when she didn't think it could be more exquisite, Logan opened his mouth to lave, lick and suckle. By now, she was moaning with every movement as a curious heat tangled through her every fiber, seemingly to meet at the center of her being, causing her to loose all conscious thought and reverting back to the simple, addictive need for pleasure.

Logan brushed his lips over Marie's heated flesh and wondered if he should stop. Their touching had escalated to an unbearable point and the hardness in his trousers increased with every moan, with every whimper. She was marvelously pliable under his arms and shaking from the tension to possess her, Logan pulled Marie's dress past her hips and discarded it to the side. He could smell her, waiting. Not wanting anything more out of life but that very wetness, he pressed his knee into her apex, eliciting another moan from her reddened lips. Kissing the indent in her throat, he looked into her face and waited for her eyes to open and meet his.

"Marie I want to touch you."

Marie gazed at him with half opened lids and cradled his face in her hands. She already knew the response to that and as expected, he closed his eyes and grumbled. She smiled at the power to turn the gruff sailor into a purring kitten. She raised on her elbow to kiss his lips. Lips she had already gotten too addicted to. His hand on her hip tightened and the one in her neck rubbed her hair slightly. She couldn't believe the tenderness in his embrace and all memory of a question vanished instantly. But he pulled back and asked again.

"Let me touch you."

Marie's brow furrowed slightly. He was kissing her, touching her already. The thought made her blush again. He saw the blush and sighed. She was so inexperienced it made feel guilty. The thought that reverberated in his head when they were in the pool jarred him again. Her virginity meant so much to her, he couldn't take it because it didn't belong to him. It was hers to give, and she had to know what she was getting into completely. He could show her others things though, just not that one.

Still lost in conflicting thoughts, Logan became aware of the kisses she was pressing into his neck. He felt the prickliness of his beard and regretted not shaving earlier. But it was a fleeting thought as she reached the space behind his ear. His skin tingled with her touch and without thinking, he slid his hand from where it rested on her hip to the space that he ached to own. Sliding over the stretching lace that covered her, he grunted when he felt the heat of her under his fingers. She jumped back instantly and he felt stupid for not having made it clearer. He shifted by her side. How exactly could he say it?

"I umm, do you trust me?"

Marie blinked at him. He had done nothing but make her feel safe, wanted.

"Yes, I trust you Logan."

The smile returned to his face. He would show her, make her see, make her scream. Something in him latched onto that idea. He wanted to make her scream. The thought buzzed in his head as he sat up on his knees and brought her forward on his lap. Marie sighed as she was pulled into a crushing kiss, but it was over soon enough. He didn't want her to feel his erection so he pulled her back and lay her down on the velvet pillow she had given him. All around them, blankets and linens were all askew, but he wanted her comfortable, perfectly at ease.

"Just relax, I want to make this good for you."

Marie looked up at him. She'd never felt so good in her life. What more could there be? But her thinking came to a sharp end when he began kissing trails down her body again. Sweeping his tongue half the way down, he continued trailing kisses until he reached the lace tap panties she was wearing. He ventured a look up. She had her eyes closed to drink in all the sensations. He paused long enough to get her attention. When she finally looked down, he pulled at the thin satin bow that rested at her belly. Her eyes grew wide in realization as he slowly unlaced the five x's that led down to her crotch.

He felt her shift slightly but didn't pause as he pushed both sides of the fabric and dipped down to the skin it revealed. Kissing the tender flesh, Logan slid his hands under the garment on either side of his face and swept it down and away with a single swipe. Marie gasped both out the surprise as well as the insistence his hands posed when they spread her legs before him. Before she could protest, his lips pressed into the flesh she never knew could ache so painfully. Logan kissed and licked and bit at her, first into the silky thatch of hair that shielded her, then the soft skin that lay beneath it and eventually the delicate holds that lay within. She clutched at the sheets by her in agony as he worked her flesh, making her wet and achy and unbelievably hot. It was a heat that came from every place he had kissed to converge where he was now. She cried out in this agony, giving Logan all the encouragement he needed to pour all his effort in his attentions.

It was what he wanted, to be buried in her scent, in the core of her, into her sex. Sliding one of the hands that were holding her thighs apart down to her heat, he pulled back to watch her face. But his ministrations continued with his hand. He worked concentric circles into her, focusing into the bud that he knew would be her downfall and unable to resist the urge, he slid his finger into her slippery wetness. It was so tight and soft, he couldn't resist the pull to taste her again.

Marie sat up at the feel of the dual pleasure of being suckled and penetrated at the same time. Logan responded by shifting and pulling her forward into him. Marie let herself be pulled. What else could she do against the torrent of sensation that flooded her? Needing to touch him, hold him, she ventured a hand to the back of his neck, where his hair draped over his shoulders. Clutching at him tightly, she moaned. His name escaped her in broken syllables. Both begging and pleading, she let herself get taken closer and closer to an infinite point where the pressure in her exploded into a shattering moment that left her gasping in exhaustion. She fell back, but strong arms caught her and brought her forward again. She clutched at the chest before her, feeling the residual waves of pleasure run through her.

Logan held onto Marie's glistening body, tempering the rage of feelings that begged release in him. She was still shivering in his arms, when he brought her back and kissed her. She responded immediately, clutching at him tiredly. Breaking the contact, he leaned his forehead to hers. Needing to feel more of him, Marie pressed up into his body, but Logan pulled back. The feel of her was too strong to deny. He could still smell her on himself and was too hard to stay so near to it and keep himself under control. Still holding her hips away from his body, Logan cleared his throat.

"You should sleep now."

Marie's hazy smile faded. They had been touching and holding for hours and he had done it with such softness. There was none of that in his actions now. He disentangled himself from her quickly and turned around to fuss with his shirt. Suddenly very self-aware, Marie crossed her arms around herself. She wasn't sure why but she wanted to cry. Grabbing the velvet by her side, she covered herself with it and slid to her side of the mats. Logan turned and gave her her dress. Marie took it silently and wondered how she ever let things go so far.

"Are you mad at me?"

The words stopped him in mid action. Logan took a minute before answering. He still had his back to her.

"No Marie, just go to sleep. I'm going to get a drink."

Marie sunk back even more. He was really mad and even though he tried to hide it in his voice, he couldn't hide it in his body language. She could see the muscles in his back and arms straining. Although they had spent a relatively few number of days together, she knew him well enough to know he was lying. She was about to ask him why, but he was already on his feet and leaving. She could see his retreating outline in the sheet. He was taking long strides and true enough she heard the swush of liquid when he took the bottle he had been drinking earlier and walked off.

Marie eased down into the velvet with a lump in her throat. Is this the way it was? How it was supposed to be? She thought back to every lecture Ms. Witherstone had given on the topic of sex. Basically you were damned if you did it and men would never think you more than a tramp, plus once you were married, it was only needed for procreation. She shut her eyes tight at the memory of the Josephine Waters story. She had a `common' reputation and had been kicked out school and sent to a convent. Marie sat back up again.

What if people found out? What if she had a reputation? Marie clasped her hand over her mouth. What would Kitty think? And Remy. A tear ran down her face at the thought of her fiancé. He had kissed her once, twice actually, and it had been nothing like tonight. It couldn't begin to compare and that thought made her miserable. She had enjoyed it. Loved it actually. She had a haunting suspicion that that was what was so damning about sex to begin with. It was addictive. Only now Logan hated her. She wasn't sure why, but she was less to him now and it was all her fault. She hadn't stopped him. St. John always told her men were after one thing. He made it clear he disliked Remy from day one because of that. Only now she couldn't marry him. She wasn't very sure she like him either, but there was no way she could do it now. Marie looked down at her empty ring finger and started to cry in earnest. She was unfaithful and had been so wrong.

Only it didn't feel wrong. Nothing about it felt wrong. She glanced up at the tangle of linens she was lying in. She could still taste him, still smell him. Logan was magnificent and had made her feel what words couldn't describe. She understood now why almost every song, poem and story had to do with love. But it wasn't easy and he hated her now. Marie blanched at a thought. How could she live on this island with just him around? It was so unfair. And what if he wanted to do it again? Shaking her head, Marie stood up, still wrapped in the velvet blanket. She had to speak to him. Ask him why he was mad. What she had done wrong. Tell him it was a mistake. That she didn't blame him for anything, but that it was a mistake.

Wiping the tears she had in her eyes, Marie pushed past the entrance curtain and stepped onto the sandy beach. They wind was blowing, but it was still fairly warm over the crash of the waves. She looked around and spotted him further down by the distance. It was a moonless night, but he was sitting against a tree and the residual light of the fire made his back visible, sniffling softly, she walked in that direction hoping she would know what to say. When she had almost reached him, Marie was about to call him when she caught a groan. Not sure what to make of it, Marie stepped a little more forward and froze in place at what she saw.

Logan had his pants open and was rubbing himself up and down. He was partially out of view because he wasn't facing her, but Marie blushed at the thought that she shouldn't be watching him. She recalled a medical book that she and Kitty had stolen out of Ms. Witherstone's library. They had giggled over the picture of a man like lunatics, but Logan looked nothing like that picture right now. Forgoing her conversation for another day, Marie was about to turn when he suddenly stopped moving and stood up. In a lightening quick movement, he took the bottle that he was holding and tossed it into the surf ahead of them. Marie flinched and was about to turn and run back when he turned first.

Logan stared at Marie just ten feet away from him in disbelief. They stood unmoving for a few minutes and she turned a complete shade of red. Even though it was dark he could tell and knew right away that she had seen him. Remembering that he was still pretty much exposed, he adjusted his pants in utter humiliation. He had come out here to finish, to release the tension that gripped him, that wouldn't let him sleep four feet from her, but it was useless. No matter how much he tried to concentrate on Marie writhing and moaning for him, he couldn't stop hearing the pain in her voice when she asked him if he was mad at her.

He had fucked up royally. He thought he could control himself enough to pleasure her, to make her see how much he wanted her, but it was too much to handle and he had probably made her think she did something wrong. Anger swelled in him because of that. He never cared before and when he finally did, he still managed to mess things up. She had done nothing wrong, but the tears gleaming in her eyes and the guilty expression she wore convinced him that she thought she did. And here she was again and instead of apologizing to her, all he wanted to do was take her.

"I told you to go to sleep."

She flinched and stammered.

"I, I, wanted to talk, make sure we're okay."

"We're fine, just go."

Marie stepped forward. He was trying to avoid her again and she couldn't leave without clearing the air.

"But you're mad at me and I'm sorry."

She sniffed and the tears started rolling down her face. Upset that she couldn't even say what she had come out to say, Marie turned and started trotting down the beach. Logan closed his eyes and cursed into the wind. He was right and it was worse than he thought.

"Marie!!"

Logan ran after her even though she didn't stop.

"I'm not mad at you!"

He stopped to control the edge in his voice and whirled her around. She was looking down so he lifted her chin with his hands. Marie grasped the velvet blanket tighter around herself.

"Look, I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at myself."

She blinked at him and frowned. He took a deep breath and figured he might as well go all the way.

"I shouldn't have touched you, but not because I didn't want to, because you…" He shifted his feet nervously and let go of her face. "You deserve better."

She stared at him in the near dark. She had never come across someone like him. He walked and talked like confidence personified. He was the only person that made fun of her, and was rude to her. Even had the audacity to call her your majesty, and he thought she was too good for him? The logic seemed insane and Marie couldn't let him believe that.

"That's not true. I'm no better than anyone else."

Logan looked into her eyes. It was what he had told her that day in the Esmeralda. That she was no better than anyone else, but those words seemed cruel now. She was special. Really special. She knew too much about plants, loved baths, spoke about a dozen languages, was incredibly brave, even thought she could teach a parrot to talk.

"I was angry at you."

Marie shook her head.

"No, Logan. You were right and I'd be lucky…… to have someone like you."

His heart practically thumped out of his chest. Her voice was real quiet and she shifted, taking a small step back. Logan caught her by the shoulders and pulled towards him. His mind was still processing what she had just said when his lips sputtered out the first thing that came to him.

"I love you Marie."

Marie pulled back and looked at his face. In the dim light, she poured over him. Remy had told her hundreds of times that he loved her, but it was never this straightforward, never this sincere. Aware that he was waiting, holding his breath, Marie closed her eyes and stepped up on her toes to meet his lips. Letting go of the blanket, she circled her arms around his neck and felt his lock behind her as well. She felt him clearly against her and in remembering how he pushed into her with his fingers moments ago, understood exactly how much she wanted to feel him in her now. After an endless moment, Marie pulled away and Logan settled her down again, but she didn't stop kissing him. Moving her hands to his chest, she kissed trails at his neck while her hand graced over his chest, over his hard stomach muscles and into his waistband.

Logan pulled back, but Marie moved quick to slip in and circle his girth with her hand. Logan groaned but she breathed into his ear one word that stopped him from removing her hand.

"Please."

She looked into his eyes to see if he understood. He kissed her again, deeply and longingly to show that yes, he did. Feeling him tighten under her hand, Marie disengaged from his lips long enough to look down between them and move both hands to unbutton his pants again. Feeling his breath quicken on her neck, she hurried faster. When she finally freed his erection and ran exploring hands up and down the length, he found her lips again to devour her. Unclasping the blanket she had secured around herself, Logan dropped it to the smooth sand beneath them and eased her down onto it, thrilled she was naked and still smelled like him. Marie smiled as the familiar heat she had felt earlier coursed through her again. It really was addictive.

"Are you sure?"

He said the words breathing hard against her skin. Marie kept feeling along the marvelously tight muscles on his abdomen too enthralled by the increasing wetness his fingers were propelling from her sex to answer. Logan looked up from his attention to her breasts and into her face. Marie looked down at the cease in activity and bit her lower lip.

"Positive."

Logan smiled too, and interested in doing the same to her bottom lip, pulled himself up over her body to kiss her. Feeling his hips ease in between her legs, Marie used her feet to push Logan's pants completely down. Running her hands down his contoured back, she sighed as he continued to work her core. A few minutes later, he removed his hands and smoothed her long hair back away from her face. He wanted to watch her every reaction and bracing himself, he prepared to take what she was offering him. Marie looked up into his eyes just as he entered her and knew instantly that she had found her destiny. Saphire rings and class differences forgotten, she knew that nothing would ever take him from her.
Chapter 8 by Dark Ferrett
VIII. Desire and Consequences

Marie woke up with her cheek pressed against soft velvet. She couldn't recall the last time she woke up on her stomach. Oh yeah, two days ago, storm, island, Logan. Logan. Marie opened her eyes and turned her head. She was alone. And then she looked down. She was naked. No way to deny it. She smiled.

"Morning, highness."

Marie turned over on her side and blushed. Logan watched from the entrance as she pulled the lace blanket up around herself and try to sit up slowly. She didn't want to say it, but Logan knew her back hurt.

"I wish you'd stop calling me that……barbarian."

Logan dropped the fruits he was carrying and fell to his knees. Marie watched with a giggle as he approached her on all fours.

"Grrrrr."

She eased back a little and put her hands up in self-defense.

"Logan!"

He growled at her again and pounced. Catching her in the neck, he bit at her lightly. Marie squealed and fought futilely, but Logan didn't press his luck. She already had a mark there and he didn't want to mar her skin any further. Upset at himself for being so careless to begin with, Logan kissed at the red spot softly before pulling back.

"Barbarian, huh?"

Marie smiled and lay back. He was leaning over her, but it was still hard to look at him straightforward. Logan gave her a peck on the cheek, before sitting up. At least she was still okay with him. He had been worried that she would have regrets, but she seemed happy and they had fallen asleep early that morning, content and sated. He gave her one of the fruit he brought in and eased in next to her. Marie bit into the fruit and wondered exactly what he could see through the lace tablecloth.

"Turn over."

Marie hesitated a second before resuming the position she had woken up on. Still chewing, she smiled again at the feel of Logan's hands on her back.

"Are we going to the waterfall?"

Logan mm-hmmed and pulled down the blanket and brushed aside her waist length hair to better knead along her sides. Her shoulder looked better and planting an occasional kiss along her spine, worked most of the kinks out of her back by the time she finished her breakfast. Marie wallowed in the feel of his hands smoothing out her skin and nibbled on her plum. Despite the hardness in them, they felt amazing and she was happier than she could ever recall being. But eventually they fell away just as she was starting to fall asleep again. Logan flipped her over with a hand on her hip and leaned into her neck again. He wanted to, but he wasn't sure if she was hurting or sore. He spoke in between kisses to her face.

"We have to go. It's almost midday."

Marie frowned and opened her eyes. It was later than she thought, but then again they had hardly slept. Even though she was sure he had been tinkering outside for hours.

"You should have woken me up."

Logan gave her a final kiss where her collarbones met at her throat. There was still a faint line across it from the rope-burn Creed gave her. Unconsciously twitching his jaw, Logan nuzzled into her again before standing up.

"I couldn't."

Marie almost moaned at the loss of his body weight on hers. Wondering if he was going to stay while she dressed, he simplified her life significantly by stepping out just then.

"I'll get the things."

Marie nodded and jumped into action the minute the curtain swung back into place. She was dressed and out in minutes. Walking over to the Jean trunk, she brushed her hair and tied it back. Giving her cheeks a pinch, she gazed into the mirror and smiled at Logan's insistence she was beautiful. He kept telling her over and over while doing things to her the night before that she had never imagined could be done. Flustering at the memory, Marie bit her lip to keep from grinning. Picking up her slippers, she stared at them for a minute before eventually dropping them again. Turning around, she found Logan waiting. He was giving her a curious look and she took a second to remember how to walk again. Luckily, he met her halfway and gave her the sling and a stick as tall as her.

"What's this?"

"It's a walking stick, I made two this morning. Found good hardwood up on the eastside."

What he didn't tell her was that he was scouting. There were boar tracks just outside the perimeter of the shells that they lay down the night before. He followed them into the forest but soon lost them. He was working up a plan to weed them out, but it was still just a thought and watching Marie fuss with herself, he left that planning for another time.

Marie turned the smooth wood in her hands. He must have polished it with sand. She smiled at his ingenuity.

"Thanks."

Logan tucked a strand of white behind her ear and started to walk when Marie jumped back.

"Oh wait! I forgot something."

Logan turned and watched her run to the perch and pet her bird. She was saying something to it. The thing actually looked excited to see her and cawed loud enough to make sure she knew it. She walked back giggling a few minutes later. Logan huffed and shook his head in mock annoyance and started walking.

"That thing would make a good meal."

"He's adorable! And he has a name, so you could start calling him Raven."

Logan turned around with a raised eyebrow.

"You're calling a parrot a raven?"

Marie giggled.

"No. I'm naming him after Mrs. Witherstone's sister, Miss Raven. Mrs. Witherstone was the headmistress at the school where me and Kitty went to school. She had this dreadful sister who never let us do anything and had a thing for blue satin. She thought it was flattering on her, but it was awful."

Logan chuckled at the precocious tone in her voice and started walking.

"If you hated her so much, why did you name your parrot that?"

"Because, he sounds just like her when he's cawing."

Logan laughed out loud in amusement. Marie was already gracing him with more stories about Mrs. Witherstone's School. By the time they reached the waterfall an hour later, he was pretty sure he wouldn't ever want to meet that woman in a dark alley in his life. He was content to walk and listen until Marie suddenly shoved past him when they were close enough to feel the air cool and hear water rush. He threw off his shirt and chased after her in a repeat of the previous day only this time she was barefoot and he caught up to her soon after she had dropped her things and entered the clearing. To her great surprise, he heaved her up onto his shoulder.

"Put me down Logan!"

She tried to pound on his back, but quickly realized it just hurt her and made him laugh harder.

"Yes, your highness, in a minute your highness."

Then she realized where he was heading.

"Logan! We're going to fall."

He just grinned and gripped her a little tighter. He leaped over the rocks that led to the tallest ledge bordering the waterfall. Marie stilled quickly enough and held onto the waist of his trousers since he wasn't wearing a shirt anymore. She complained and begged, but he kept going. Eventually he reached the summit and eased her to her feet.

"Ready?"

Marie clung to him with equal parts amusement and horror. Before she could answer him, Logan gripped her hand and jumped off the ledge into the white waters below. Marie screamed and Logan yelled and both landed in an unceremonious splash. When he emerged, she was giggling and spurting, trying not to drown. He made his way to her before she could go under. Lifting her above the water, he was rewarded with a shove.

"You're crazy!!"

Logan grinned and pushed into her. Instantly, her legs went around him and Logan wasted no time in kissing her. Marie kissed back, shivering from the difference in the coolness of the water and the heat of his body. Gripping his chest tightly, Marie felt along his muscles while he moved down to work on her neck. Still entwined, Logan kicked lazily, pushing them back to the water's edge. Feeling his hardening erection against her belly and her own response to it, Marie moaned. Logan pulled back with a grin and moved his hands to the fabric of her skirt that had gathered around her waist. She wasn't wearing any underwear and Marie blushed furiously at his discovery of it.

"Your highness, I'm shocked."

Marie opened her mouth in a pout but Logan kissed her before she had a chance to respond. It was a long, passionate kiss, where he tasted fruit and crisp water. When they parted, Logan's mood was not as playful, finishing the swim back to the shore, he pulled himself and then Marie up on a particularly smooth boulder. Marie blanched a little.

"Out in the open?"

To her dismay, Logan laughed.

"There's no-one around but us."

Marie crossed her arms self-consciously. She was still a little unsure, but Logan stretched out next to her, taking her with him. He smoothed wet strands of hair that were plastered to her skin away from her face. She relaxed visibly and planted her head on his shoulder, stretching her hand along his chest. His breathing hitched a little, but he had something to say.

"I was meaning to tell you something."

Marie looked up into his face, kissing small places by his chin in lieu of an answer. He had shaved. Logan grumbled a little deep in his chest and absently pulled at the bow that secured at the back of her slipdress.

"I think it's a good idea if you teach me to read."

She stopped and looked up with a smile.

"Are you serious?"

Logan groaned at the fact that she had stopped kissing him. His hands moved her dress up her thighs.

"Very, and I'm gonna teach you how to hunt."

That made her sit up, completely separating them. Logan figured he could have waited a little more to tell her and prayed she didn't ask for lessons right away.

"Logan! I'm so excited. I can't wait. You'll see, I'll be the best student ever and I'll go easy on you at first. We'll start with the basics, but move on to the few books that we do have and…"

He pulled her back down to him again. She beamed at him before kissing him hard. His hands returned to her hips. Pulling her to grind into his erection, he smiled when she gasped against his lips. Flipping them around, so that he was on top, he pulled back enough to unbutton his pants.

"I'm excited too."

Marie flushed and ran her gaze down his wet body unabashedly. Despite all their lovemaking the night before, she hadn't really gotten a good look at him yet. Logan moved slow, very conscious of her curiosity. She even bit her lower lip, which always made him want to do the same thing to it. When he was freed, Marie sat up too and reached for him. Logan hissed sharply at the contact. Taking a moment to center himself against her soft caressing, he lowered down to her lips and began devouring her hungrily. Marie moaned as he parted her legs and pushed up her skirt. Lost in the feel of her hands on him, Logan clutched at her hips and bucked forward to meet her moistening entrance. Marie brought her hands up to hold at his waist, where she quickly learned she had the best grip against his thrusts. And that is exactly what he did.

Looking deep into her eyes, Logan eased in, giving her time to adjust slowly. When her panting slowed a little, he moved again, sliding in and out carefully not to drive her too hard into the hard surface beneath them. The hands by his waist tightened and knowing that two hands on her hips was redundant, Logan moved one up to cup her right breast. Instantly warming the skin there, he bent over to the other, suckling the nipple through the thin fabric. Soaked, he took mouthfuls of cool water from the cotton.

Watching Marie's beautiful face contort in pleasure, Logan found her lips again. She moaned his name against them and knowing that he wanted more of her, all of her, Logan plunged deeper, sliding both hands under her to prevent from hurting her. She responded strongly, each thrust bringing her closer to the edge. Taking turns from nursing on her cloth covered breast to the one bared by their jerking movements, Logan growled when he felt her muscles clench around his. Looking up, he brought his lips to hers as it crashed over them both. Against the backdrop of the rushing waterfall, they shared a perfect moment of perfect release. Logan looked up into Marie's flushed face when he could finally control his tremors.

"Are you okay?"

Marie smirked at the question. She was beyond okay. She couldn't be better. But she didn't know how to quite say that, so she nodded instead. He kissed her cheek and kept buttoning his pants. She had not really taken off her dress, so he eased it back down her hips and settled in beside her.

"Are you hungry?"

Marie nodded again. Very aware that if she didn't start talking soon, he'd be worried, she watched him reach over to the sling she had thrown to the ground and take out a fruit. He looked at it questioningly, before asking.

"What exactly is this?"

Marie watched him turn and smell it.

"It's a mango. Very sweet."

He took the knife he had tossed to the side and sliced off a piece. >From the green exterior, he wasn't expecting such a bright yellow pulp. Marie giggled at his expression.

"Go on, it tastes delicious."

Logan looked at her playful expression. Her hair was already drying in the warm air. Hit with a sudden idea, he pulled back at her still unfastened bodice to reveal her perfect breasts underneath. She stared at him expectantly, so he moved slowly to run the piece of fruit across a nipple. Her breath drew in sharply and the dusky pink skin tightened instantly. Logan felt something stir deep in his groin and bent over to lick the trail of juice the fruit left behind. He looked up.

"Delicious."

Marie giggled, eyes still closed. Logan pressed the fruit to her again. It dripped and left little bits of mango clinging to her, but it was quickly cleaned away with his sweeping mouth. Not one to be unfair, he treated her other side to the same loving treatment. Within minutes, Marie was breathing heavily and clinging to his dark hair. Interest quickly reawakened, Logan ran his coated fingers across her lips. Her eyes opened immediately and she smiled when he descended on them. Unfortunately her chest was still sticky and when he pressed into her, they were essentially stuck to one another. Laughing at his annoyed grumble that his chest hair was al matted, Marie pulled away and stood up.

"Delicious huh?"

With a gleam in her eye she jumped into the water and waded a little before turning around at his larger splash. Washing the residue off herself, Marie brought her slip over her head and flung it at Logan who caught it with a larger growl. He wanted to get some scouting done, but there were better ways to spend an afternoon than walking aimlessly, namely inside Marie. Tossing the piece of fabric, he dove under the water. Marie stopped laughing and looked around expectantly. Then he emerged behind her. She squealed at his bite on her shoulder, but slippery in the water, they clung to each other forcefully. When the bulge digging into her became more insistent, Marie wrapped her legs high around Logan's waist and braced for his penetration. Unlike before, it was delectably slow. Taking his time, Logan swayed into her in the white bubbling water. She kissed all around his face tenderly, enjoying the soft lapping sounds their bodies made when they met over and over and over. They enjoyed each other completely, savoring the newfound intimacy they shared. But they weren't alone. Cold eyes watched them from afar, recognizing their scent, tracking their movement, bidding for time.



Logan and Marie emerged from the forest late in the afternoon. Knowing there wasn't enough time to hunt or scout, but that they had at least gathered water and fruits, Logan planned on heading out towards the beach. He added to the water supply and was watching Marie pet her parrot when the feeling of being watched overwhelmed him again. He straightened out and looked around, but of course there was nothing but trees, sand and surf.

Gathering the things they would need and stashing their sticks and sling, Logan turned at Marie's laughter approaching him. He ran his gaze up her legs, which looked fetching in his shirt. She had tied a sash around her waist and with rolled up sleeves it made for a decent enough covering on her much smaller frame. Only there was nothing decent about the opening of the collar, which plunged down to almost her waist, letting the sun catch flashes of the chain she wore. She still had her wet dress in her hands and the parrot was fluttering on her shoulder.

"Logan, Logan! Look at what Raven could do."

Logan dropped the rope he was holding and looked over at the fluttering bird. She pet him a little to calm him down then looked at him gleefully as she balanced a seed on his beak.

"Steady, steady Raven."

And the damn bird actually turned stock still. Her grin grew and she removed her hands slowly. The bird remained still for a full minute before Marie yelled.

"Now!"

And damned if it didn't shake it's head to catch the seed in his beak. Marie clapped triumphantly and looked over at Logan who tried to hide his grin unsuccessfully.

"You see. Raven is an intelligent bird."

And she actually kissed it. Logan wondered if it was healthy to be jealous of a damned animal.

"I still think we should cook it."

"Don't listen to him, he's just grumpy Raven."

Marie glared at Logan before walking away, still feeding the bird seeds until she placed it on it's perch. Logan went to start the fire Marie had requested. When she finally came over, he could see that she was in an exceptional mood. Her hair was almost dry again, and he fanned a fire to life while watching her slowly brush her damp hair and tie it back delicately. When she was done, she rolled up the sleeves of the puffy shirt and realizing she was being watched, slid off the rum trunk and walked over to Logan's side.

"Let me brush your hair."

Logan poked at the fire.

"Go ahead."

Marie walked behind him and lay his head back against her chest. She then carefully gathered his long locks from his entire face and into a neat bundle at the back of his neck. She felt him relax instantly and loving how his thick hair felt in her fingers, Marie tossed her brush and braided it down to where it settled in between his shoulder blades. Finally tying the end in his suede bow, Marie turned his face to her and admired her handiwork. Logan was not a delicate looking man, but there was a rugged handsomeness in his work roughened features that made him attractive nonetheless.

"You are a handsome man Logan…"

A horrible thought occurred to her and she slapped a hand over her mouth.

"I don't know your name!"

Logan pulled her down to sit by him in the sand. It was a question he was asked often, but that he never offered an explanation to. Only Marie deserved one. He clasped his hands together and dug up long forgotten facts.

"I grew up in an orphanage. My mother or whoever left me there, had me wrapped in blankets with a note that said she couldn't take care of me, but that my father's name had been Logan. That was probably his surname, but that's what they called me and that's what stuck."

Marie studied his features. All this time, and she hadn't even asked.

"I've been boring you silly with my stories from London, and I hadn't even asked. I feel terrible."

Logan looped an arm around her shoulders.

"I've done mostly shitty things my entire life, trying to forget most of it anyway."

Marie blinked back her tears.

"It's still unfair. I love you and want to know."

Logan stopped for a minute and peered out into the horizon. She loved him. Never thought anybody could do that.

"It's late, let's go and I'll tell you all you wanna know."

He kissed her hand and Marie instantly felt better. Standing, she dumped all of the sheets and clothes that she had collected into the now boiling spittoon of water on the fire and added a handful of flowers she had collected in her sling on their walk back. Logan had already started walking, so trotting to catch up, Marie clutched at his arm and fell in step next to him with a smile and a crinkle of her nose.

"Start by telling me how old you are."

Logan burst into laughter again. He couldn't recall ever laughing so much in his life.

"You don't want to know Marie, you don't want to know."



They spent the rest of the afternoon in that easy mood. Walking towards the west side of the beach, where rocks littered the water, he taught Marie how to fish crabs with a box made of sticks lashed together and covered in the mesh netting that lined the interior of Marie's long discarded peach dress. Marie absorbed the information thoroughly impressed and slightly disappointed at all she had missed for sleeping until late.

The nicest thing about crabbing was that you got to relax. After walking all day and keeping plenty busy at the waterfall, it was nice to just relax and talk. And talk they did. Logan told Marie of all the lands he'd been to and the seas he'd crossed, while Marie told him of her family and the museums and operas she had seen. Occasionally stopping to spell out a particularly interesting word on the sand with a stick for him, Marie made sure she kept her end of the bargain. Lifting the trap out of the water an hour later, she was shocked to see a half dozen enormous crabs clawing and pinching at each other inside. Walking back just as the sun was setting, Marie and Logan paused for a moment to watch it sink behind the lapping waters. Sitting in silence for a long time, Logan finally spoke up.

"Show me your name."

Marie smiled at him and grabbed a nearby shell.

M A R I E

Logan looked down at the symbols he was surprised made sense to him and traced them with his finger. It had the same amount of letters and even had one of the same his name had. It was the only thing he knew how to write, but he was sure he wouldn't ever forget Marie's name either. He traced it one last time to commit it to memory. When he was done, he looked up and was met by an endearing kiss. When Marie pulled back he wrote his alongside hers. Mulling over the symbolism of labeling their island with their name, Logan and Marie stood and walked back to camp just as the last traces of sun hid behind the horizon.

That night, after feeding on a seeming endless amount of bright red crab legs and coconut juice, Logan decided to teach Marie some of the finer aspects of knife fighting. Although it was hard to concentrate with his body positioning hers from behind and pretending to stab with a stick, Marie did grasp the basics of how to handle a knife as well as where to inflict injury or maim in an attack in between fits of laughter and kissing. When they were done totally annihilating an invisible enemy, Marie read to Logan in the firelight. He listened attentively, occasionally asking her to show him an interesting word, while resting his head on her lap and indulging in a swig or two of rum.

Checking to see that their sheets were dry an hour later, Marie smoothed them over the mats that Logan had stitched together. Finally settling in, Marie unbraided Logan's hair while he freed her of his shirt and began covering her in aloe gel. A favor she returned slowly to his exquisite agony and complete pleasure. Embarking on yet another night of passionate and searing lovemaking, they fell asleep in the predawn hours in each other's arms, cooing soft words in between soft caresses, completely unaware and never suspecting that they had just sparked life deep inside of Marie's womb.
Chapter 9 by Dark Ferrett
IX. Sunrises and Hope

Logan looked over at the horizon just as it exploded in fiery pinks and purples. He had traveled to many places and seen many things, but the sunsets and sunrises on the island were amazing. Nothing about life ever prepared him to think that he would ever be this happy and looking down at Marie stretched out in front of him, slowly running circles into his thigh, he realized how lucky he had been. At some point they had stopped looking at the horizon for big white sails. They only looked for sunsets, which were Marie's favorites and staying up exceptionally late today, a sunrise as well.

The balmy air all around them lighting slowly, Logan bent down and brought her free hand up to his lips. It seemed an eternity since she had been in white gloves all day, yet it had only been three weeks. Giving it a soft kiss, he circled it with his own and flexed the toes he had in the sand.

"Marie darling, you still awake?"

"Mmm-hmmm."

He shifted a little, making her turn and look up at his face, cheek pressed against his chest. He smiled at how beautiful she looked when she was half-asleep. Eyelids heavy and with a lazy smile, she squeezed the hand that held hers.

"You ready to go back now?"

She gave the horizon one last look. It was breathtaking.

"Yes."

Stepping back slightly, Logan stood to his feet, careful not to throw sand on her. Giving her extended hand a slow pull, he brought Marie to her feet as well. She swayed a little and steadying her with a hand at her waist, he pulled her in close.

"Are you okay?"

Marie closed her eyes to steady her sudden dizziness with a hand to her head. She had been feeling sick the last few days but had failed to mention it to Logan. He would only worry. Smiling up hazily, she shook her head yes and gave him a peck on the chin. Logan smiled at her gesture and knowing she was tired from staying up all night, clutched the hand he was still holding a little tighter.

"We should go then."

Marie pulled back and Logan grabbed the velvet blanket they had been laying on up under his arm. Giving Marie one last evaluating look, he wrapped his arm around her waist and started walking back towards the eastside of the beach. Home, he thought to himself. And that made him smile again. Home was a couple of trunks, a fire and a thatched hut. It seemed ironic, not because he was ever used to having much, everything a sailor owned had to fit in a knapsack, but because he had never really had a home, a place to call his. Only he had one now and that was so strangely satisfying. Of course that was in no small part due to Marie.

He looked over at her soft shuffling next to him. She had taken to wearing nothing but her little lacy bottoms the last few weeks and that left so much of her flawless and remarkably only slightly darker skin exposed. Nothing was more beautiful than watching her long wavy brown hair sway to cover and uncover her breasts in the warm tropical breeze all day long. She sensed his staring and looked up, blushing a little with her smile. He returned the smile and looked towards their home not too far off. They had certainly come a long way since she refused to even show her ankles, but the coy shyness was still there. But he didn't care. It was in her true character and not what they had made her and that was fine by him.

Still walking quietly, Logan's thoughts were interrupted by her sudden pause. He spotted it before she could point. Bending over he collected the beautiful shell that lay partially buried by his feet and handed it to her. She took it quietly and they resumed their walking. She planted a hand inside the waist of the short loincloth he had traded his pants for about two weeks ago also. She had been collecting shells for all kinds of purposes. Some wide shallow ones with mother of pearl coated interiors served as plates. Some deeper curved ones served to drink water. Pretty and colorful ones, like the one they just found, were to hold her assortment of plant extracts, seeds and grounded things. At first Logan was skeptical, but his Marie had proven quite the botanist. Some of her mixtures were for washing, some were seasonings, some were for scenting water for washing her hair. Those were his favorites.

Almost at the camp, Logan did a quick survey of the sand surrounding it. They had spent the night making love on the beach away from camp, but the past few days there had been tracks by the perimeter. He had taken to going out to purposefully hunt the boar almost every other day and had succeeded in catching some, but the nest remained hidden and he consistently saw a set of tracks that were larger and heavier than the others every few days. It troubled him deeply to know that the boar were still around on the relatively small island, but there was nothing today, and leaping over the two foot wide span of shell debris to enter the camp, he let the thought ease away with a brief touch to the knife at his side.

Marie noticed the gesture and tightened her grip on his hand before leaping over the perimeter. The day was as bright as ever by now, and she yawned widely into her hand as Logan settled her on the rum trunk and went around to get her some breakfast. Raven saw his master and immediately flew down from his perch to waddle clumsily on the trunk's leather finish. Marie lightened up considerably and pet the red feathers on his head.

"Hey Raven, did you miss me? Did you?"

The bird cawed several loud and broken `yes' and Logan rolled his eyes. So the damned bird was up to three words. That wasn't exactly talking. Taking out a plum, he bit at it and offered one to Marie.

"Want one?"

Marie held her stomach and shook her head vehemently.

"No, no. Just water."

Logan frowned and went to get her a drink from an empty rum bottle. He watched her add her new shell to the interior of the Jean trunk with her other little things while talking to Raven. She had been eating little lately and that worried him. He brought her the water just as she straightened out. She drank a sip and clutched her stomach again.

"What's wrong, Marie?"

She smiled weakly and made her way to Raven's perch. Placing the bird on it with a scratch to the chin, she ambled over to the shelter.

"Nothing Logan, I'm just tired."

She added a yawn to prove it. Logan washed his hands and grabbed a washcloth. Settling in next to her on the mat, he pulled her face to face with him. She immediately snuggled in close and threaded her hand in his hair, but Logan saw pain in her eyes. He knew enough to know she was lying.

"How long you been sick, Marie?"

She closed her eyes and sighed deeply. She had wanted to avoid this conversation but the voice of Ms. Witherstone in her head echoed to her that procrastination never worked.

"It's just a stomachache. Maybe it was the fish or the heat. It's been unbearable lately."

Logan mulled over her words with a twitching jaw. Yes, it could have been the heat, but it could be something else as well.

"What if you're pregnant?"

Marie squeezed her eyes tighter and stopped fiddling with his hair. Logan's heart dropped at her reaction. They had been careful lately for obvious reasons, but the look on her face fueled his lingering insecurity.

"We've been careful Logan, you pull out."

He clenched his jaw slightly.

"Not at first."

She gave him a pained look. The tears were close and he whispered what they both couldn't deny.

"Not the first few times."

Marie's lower lip quivered slightly. Logan sat up with his knees drawn to look at her.

"I thought you wanted children."

Marie wiped at her face.

"Yes I do Logan, but here?"

She sat up now too, hair swishing down over her chest.

"Here on this damned island?"

Logan sucked in his breath. He had never heard her curse before.

"We're doing good, we won't be here forever. Your father will…"

"My father?"

Marie stared at him plaintively.

"It's been almost a month, my father might even be dead."

Her words were a hoarse whisper and Logan swallowed hard before reaching over to hold her. She had been doing so well, but thoughts of her family still haunted her. He thought of the cross she always wore. She had taken it off a few days back. He hoped it didn't mean she had given up hope, but holding her sobbing in his arms, he admitted to himself that she had. He stroked and breathed into her hair.

"Marie darling, you don't know that. You'll see him again."

"I love being here with you, but I miss them so much."

Logan sighed heavily. He was in heaven, but she wasn't. She had family, a life, a real home. Of course she wanted off. Why wouldn't she? But it hurt to admit that she belonged to another life he only knew stories about. The lingering doubt resurfaced again. What if she only loved him out of loneliness, out of need? He lifted her chin and wiped away some of her tears.

"What if you were pregnant Marie. Would it bother you to have my child?"

She pulled back perfectly straight and blinked at him.

"What?"

Logan swallowed gingerly in complete fear.

"A child with me?"

Marie clasped the Battenberg covers tightly.

"Please don't mean what I think you mean."

Logan felt shame envelope him.

"Off this island I'm lower than your servants Marie. You'd be with a nobleman, not a sailor."

Marie almost choked at the words. She was so sure they had been past this. She stared at him blankly.

"I don't care what our differences are. I might have once, but that doesn't matter anymore. I love you and even though it'd be dangerous to have a baby here, I wouldn't want to have one with anyone but you."

Her last word was a sob and Logan instantly regretted having thrown his insecurities on her. She loved him. It was true and different or not, they needed each other desperately. With that same thought he brought her into a kiss. A gentle kiss that spoke of forgiveness and redemption. Of a love blind to differences and bloodlines. His face wet from her tears, Logan muttered against her lips.

"I'm sorry Marie, I love you darling."

Marie inhaled deeply and pressed her forehead to him again.

"If I am, than it'll be okay Logan. It'll be okay."

Logan dove into her neck in an embrace. Bringing her back down to the mats, he kissed at her face softly, smoothing words over her skin.

"I know Marie, I know darling."

Tired but relieved, Marie brought a hand to her stomach. She rubbed at the skin there and tightened her grip on Logan's hair. She needed him, more than anything. They would be fine. Even with a baby, they would be fine. Seeing her hand move to cradle her stomach, Logan moved down to plant soft kisses on her belly where her hand moved. It was a gentle action, one that whoever knew gruff, merciless Logan that took carelessly and had little regard for life other than his own would never think he was capable of. Hearing Marie's soft sigh, Logan looked up.

"Marie?"

She bit at her lip and looked down to cradle his face in her hands.

"Yes. Please."

Logan kissed at the fingers cradling him and pulled at the lace, bringing it past her thighs, past her knees, and past her feet. Moving back up, he untied the cloth he was wearing and brushed her hair away from her chest with both hands and planted kisses on her tightening nipples. Shifting slowly, he brought himself into her. In a slow, languid pace that slowly tightened and lubricated, they moved together. In little time, Marie hitched her breath and climaxed. Gentle waves breaking over her, she clasped at Logan tightly who moved until he did the same. Sharing one last equally slow and languid kiss they tiredly fell asleep almost instantly once they were done. Logan spooned her from behind, one bent arm serving as both their pillows, the other still smoothing circles into Marie's belly. In the distance over the ocean, lightening crackled, but both were already too far gone in sleep to hear it.



They awoke early in the afternoon when a sudden gusty breeze, that felt surprisingly chill for the typical weather they received, traversed the shelter. Hearing a peculiar noise above the roaring surf, Logan bolted upright, one head automatically reaching for the knife he kept in his corner. Marie woke up and looked around with wide eyes.

"Logan?"

"Shhh."

He silenced her with a finger to her lips and stealthily got up. Parting the curtain entrance slowly, his eyes quickly scanned the camp. The only sound was Marie rustling over the mats.

"Logan?"

He straightened out and looked over at the horizon. The clear sky they had witnessed being born was gone, replaced by a mass of clouds that the ocean breeze was bringing in. Since their arrival it had rained maybe once or twice a week, but this looked serious. On the sea, he could predict bad weather days ahead of time, but being on land thwarted that ability significantly. He did not see this one coming. It was unexpected and had he known, he would have gone hunting earlier.

"Don't worry darling. It was just the wind."

He went to take the sleeves which were hanging off a nearby tree. By now, Marie was fully awake and peering out into the horizon as well. For a moment, Logan caught his breath. Marie looked beautiful nearly naked with her hair fluttering in the wind. Which was blowing pretty strong he noticed.

"Logan, this looks as bad as that day. You think it'll hold?"

He gave the shelter a wary look and dropped the sleeves in the rum trunk.

"It will if we brace the trunks against it."

He approached Marie and planted a kiss on her shoulder. She gave him an appreciative glance before handing him his cloth. Logan tied it on with a grin and started pushing the trunks into position right up against the shelter.

"I'll put everything else away."

Marie started collecting everything they had out just as the wind kicked up. Sand everywhere, she gathered what they had in fruits, some bottles of water and a few books and sheets into the shelter. Then she remembered Raven. Looking up dejectedly to see his perch empty except for a few cracked seeds, she frowned and turned to Logan. She had to yell over the crash of the surf and the howling wind.

"Raven's gone!"

Logan looked at Marie's concerned expression and gave the trunks a final push. The sand was making it harder to see all of a sudden.

"He always comes and goes. Probably safer in the forest anyway."

Marie fought the hair flapping over her face and scanned the nearby forest edge with her eyes. Everything was swaying and the stretch of beach between them was already littered with broken palm leaves snapped off in the wind. It was true that he always flew off when he pleased. She turned to face Logan who was moving the stones of the fire ring closer together.

"He probably knows where to hide."

Logan shook the sand from his hands and pushed her back towards the shelter with a hand to her back.

"He's safe. Let's go."

Marie hustled in through the curtain and Logan gave the tumultuous ocean one last look before following her in. She started sorting all the things they had brought in. Outside, huge heavy drops of rain started falling, thwacking loudly on the driftwood and thatched leaf roof. Marie gave Logan an unsure look.

"How long you'll think it will last?"

Logan clicked open his compass and snapped it shut almost instantly.

"Till the night at least. And don't worry Raven is safe. He's done this before."

She swallowed uncertainly and rubbed her stomach again. Logan remembered she hadn't eaten and stretched a hand towards her.

"Come here."

She crawled over and settled in his lap, straddling either side of his hips. Logan brought a plum to her lips with a smile.

"You're eating for two now."

Marie blushed and smiled at the thought. It still seemed like such a foreign concept. Her. A mother. Remembering caramel colored fingers entwined with her own, she sighed and leaned forward into Logan's chest.

"You really think I'm with child Logan?"

He brought the fruit to her lips again and started pulling her hair to her back.

"I don't know. I think so, but time will tell soon enough."

Marie chewed slowly and thought that over. She was going to be a mother. Daddy was going to be a grandfather and Kitty an aunt. The thought tickled her somehow. Taking a final bite of the fruit and disentangling her limbs from Logan's, Marie moved to a shell she had in the far corner of the hut. Taking it out reverently, she opened the chain's clasp and moved to Logan's lap again.

"Please?"

He took the chain with a smile and Marie turned for better access. When he finally finished hooking the little clasp, Marie turned and straddled him again with a coy smile.

"So does that mean you can…you know."

He grinned at the crooked smile.

"Read? Sure we got nothing but time today."

She widened her eyes in exasperation.

"Logan! That's not what I meant."

Logan chuckled. After all was said and done, she couldn't even say it.

"What do you mean?"

She shifted uncomfortably on his lap, absentmindedly pulling at the string that tied his cloth together.

"You know."

He looked into her flushed face and moved his hands to cup her breasts, wondering if there was still any aloe gel left around.

"Yeah darling, we could."

Marie grinned and finished tugging at his loincloth while Logan's hands got more insistent. Laying back completely, he brought her down with him and marveled at how willingly she kissed at his chest. Feeling the drag of her breasts over his sensitive hairs and the slightly cooler feel of her chain on his skin, he smiled. Despite the howling wind and forceful rain that pelted the hut, Logan felt better than he had all day. She still had hope. She had put it back on because of it. The baby was giving her hope. Their baby. Their child. Threading his hands in Marie's hair, Logan wallowed in possessiveness and brought her up to his face, pressing a searing kiss to her lips. After a few minutes, he pulled back and looked at her with solid resolve.

"If we ever get off this island, promise me the first thing you'll do is be my wife."

Marie blinked at him a few times, before his growly words registered.

"First thing."

Logan brought her crashing down to his face again. Grinding into each other furiously, they embarked in the same kind of passionate lovemaking that conceived their child to begin with.



Somewhere over churning Caribbean waters, Remy Lebeau looked over his ship's masts and into the threatening sky. He had searched for close to two weeks and the first mate just reported to him that they needed to head back to Puerto Nuevo soon for restocking. But there was still so much to cover. Cursing over the turning black waters in French, Lebeau tightened his grip on the rail of the Santa Anna and closed his eyes tight. If only he had come with her. If only he had married her before she left. This might have never happened.

Straightening his black waistcoat, the nobleman let himself at least believe that she could still be alive. Cable, the skipper, had said that he saw them go over the Isabella's hull. He claimed they could be alive on one of the hundreds of tiny unmapped islands that littered the tepid waters. Closing his eyes again just as rain began to fall heavily, Lebeau dismissed the image of the two being together. He couldn't bare it and although everyone that was left on the Esmeralda claimed that he had sacrificed his life for her, Lebeau knew he was a savage. A savage interested in only one thing. He saw it in the man's eyes that day on the wharf when Marie spoke up for him. It was wanting. He had wanted her from the very beginning.

Fingering the silver pistol he had at his side, Lebeau twisted his handsome features into a grimace. Already Xavier had dispatched another three ships from Puerto Nuevo. No thanks to St. John, Xavier already had it in his mind that the hero of the story was the savage. But the savage was not taking what was his. Turning and heading to the helm, Lebeau gave the crew a final command.

"We will not turn back, until we find her! So carry on, dere are still more water and islands to cover!!"

Turning back to stare over the waters, Lebeau let vengeance hatch a plan in his mind. The savage and his beautiful Marie Elizabeth. Alone. He wouldn't let that happen. What was his, was his and feeling along his pistol, Lebeau swore to the deep waters that nothing would take what was rightfully his.
Chapter 10 by Dark Ferrett
X. Lavender and Survival

The storm was over in the late afternoon hours of the second day. Logan and Marie emerged from their home to find the world they had settled into, completely rearranged and swept anew. Sand littered everything, and palm leaves and overturned trees randomly covered their stretch of the beach. Logan circled his arm around Marie's shoulder reassuringly while surveying the changes to the landscape.

"Don't worry darling, Raven's fine, he'll come back when it clears up completely."

Marie looped an arm around his waist and pulled stray strands of white from her face. The wind was still gusting quite strong and ever since his wing healed and she had removed the bandage, Raven had been more and more prone to leaving for hours at a time.

"I hope so."

She tucked into the crook of Logan's shoulder contemplatively. The surf was more tumultuous than she remembered seeing it. Thoughts of falling endlessly into twirling black waters flashed through her mind. Inadvertently, a shiver ran through her, and Logan tightened his grip on her shoulder.

"It's okay Marie. We just need to clean up a little."

His free hand moved to the warm soft skin of her abdomen. The harsh, tanned fingers stood in direct opposition to the delicate, pale skin. Kneading her softly, he moved his lips down to brush hers. Marie rested her hand on his unyielding chest and gave herself into his caress. It had been like that the entire time they had been holed up in the shelter. He was as urgent and passionate as ever, but a new tenderness was found in his every move to touch her. He didn't want to hurt her, and it warmed Marie's heart to know he could be so genteel and doting. Settling on his chest to hear his heartbeat, Marie sighed again and brought the fingers rubbing her belly to her lips for a quick kiss.

"It'll be dark soon, we should get started then."

Logan kissed the shiny white streaks and moved to start a fire. For the first time he could remember the night wind felt cool and he didn't want Marie chilled. They had nothing but a few fruits left and a little bit of water, but it was already too late to go fetch either one. Only one thing to do.

"I'm going down to the beach to set the trap. Maybe we could catch something."

Marie nodded and moved to take the crab trap from the rum trunk. She set the things down and sat to silently watch Logan light the fire. When the soaked logs finally started smoking, he moved to collect his things, brushing his hand slightly over her leg. Logan sheathed his knife at his side and contemplated Marie folded onto the sand. He could tell she was a little nauseous and hopped that a little seafood would perk her up. She looked more frail somehow.

"Maybe you should put something on."

Rubbing her arms slightly, Marie offered a half smile.

"I think I'll do that."

She stood and gave him a peck on the collarbone.

"Good luck."

He returned the crooked smile and walked off towards the beach. All around them the sky was taking on a purple tinge as the sun began to travel to it's nightly destination. Feeling uncharacteristically dizzy, Marie walked over to the Jean trunk and took out her slipdress. It was neatly folded and smelled of geranium and honeysuckle. She inhaled the scent deeply before running her fingers over the detailed embroidery bodice edge.

She and Kitty would spend entire mornings busily embroidering things for their hope chests. Kitty would ramble for an eternity on all the latest gossip while Marie occasionally laughed and shook her head at her sister's tendency towards exaggeration. It was dreadful work for their hands and eyes, but they had believed so strongly in what they were doing. It was what all good society girls did. It seemed so senseless to her now. The hours they spent embroidering bedclothes and sheets for a marriage bed without even being in love. Without even understanding what love was. Looking up to see the tangle of sheets and tablecloths that made her bed now, Marie smirked. The last thing they needed to learn for a marriage was how to embroider. She ran her hand over the tiny white flower-shaped stitches and sighed. She missed her sister so much.

Logan returned from the beach to find Marie still contemplating the dress. Something in his heart turned at seeing that. She was swathed in the finest silks, lace and satin once. No matter what she said, he knew she missed it in some small way. Images of her sitting in her chair on board the Esmeralda crossed his mind. She sat like a queen and he would watch her from high up in the rigging practically the whole day. He hated all the pomp that surrounded her, but he had to admit it intrigued him. In her colorful oversized dresses she looked amazing and it pained him to think that she was essentially wearing rags now.

"Marie?"

She startled at the sound of her name and quickly unfurled the dress and stood up.

"Logan, I didn't hear you."

Walking over to her, Logan silently took it from her hands. Marie stared at him questioningly. His only response was to slowly bring it up and ease it over her head and shoulders. Marie stood stock still at the feel of his hands smooth it over her and tie the sash at the small of her back. He had undressed her often, but this was new. He concluded by sweeping her hair to the back and setting her chain straight. Looking up at his concerned eyes Marie smiled faintly and raised her hands to do the same to his hair.

"You miss them."

"Yes."

Logan brought his hands to raise her chin and give her a quick kiss.

"You'll see them again, you'll see."

Marie nodded sadly and looked at the now blazing fire. She honestly didn't know how Logan managed to do it with wet wood, but the fire cast a welcome warmth against the still cool ocean breeze. Marie looked over at the trunks.

"You should move them back to block the wind."

Logan nodded in agreement and went to push them into their original positions, while Marie went around, sweeping the camp free of inblown leaves and preparing the spittoon and seasonings of crushed pepper seeds and limes that she would use for the seafood. They each worked in silence until their camp became somewhat typical again. Still seeing Marie sweep her gaze across the expanse of forest behind them looking for Raven's brightly hued feathers, Logan decided to finally break the silence.

"The sun is about to set."

Marie snapped out of her thoughts and wiped her hands on a cloth.

"We should go then. Pick one out."

Pushing the tangle of thoughts that troubled her out of her mind, Marie finished what she was doing and went to join Logan at his side. Together they walked to the beach for her favorite part of the day. Collecting two interesting shells along the way, Marie and Logan held hands and walked slowly up the shore. Reaching where he had left the trap tied to a stone, Logan checked on it briefly, before joining Marie who sat on the shore with the book he had picked out.

Assuming his favorite reading position, which was sitting between her legs and head resting back on her chest, Logan opened the book to the sweet-smelling plant Marie had picked and dried out as a bookmark and began to read out loud. Occasionally stopping to correct a particularly difficult word, Marie threaded her fingers through Logan's hair and contemplated the exceptionally colorful sunset that was typical after it rained, while hearing his gravely voice repeat a familiar story. Rubbing a thigh gently, Logan stumbled through the tangle of symbols he never thought he would understand. By the time he was done with the chapter a half hour later, the sun was almost completely behind the horizon, cutting most of his light anyway. Bringing the particularly fragrant plant to his nose, he turned to look up at Marie.

"Lavender."

He fingered it contemplatively before bringing it to her nose and repeating her word.

"Lavender."

She took an appreciative sniff followed by a giggle. With a smile of his own, Logan put it back between the pages and closed the book.

"You're doing wonderfully Logan."

He turned in his place, now pressing into her.

"For a barbarian?"

She rolled her eyes and settled back into the sand with a smile.

"Of course, for a barbarian."

He fingered her white streaks, now brilliant as the last sliver of sun lit the sky orange. He wanted nothing more than to spend the whole night making love to her right there on the beach, but the air was still cool and without the sun to warm it, they were in for a chilly night. He gave her a quick kiss.

"Does your stomach still hurt?"

Marie's eyes dulled a little. The fears of having a child creeped into her again.

"A little."

Giving Marie's hair one last feel, Logan stood to his feet and handed her the book that he had tossed aside.

"I'll get the trap. The food will help you feel better……"

He started walking away when he turned around with a smirk.

"……your majesty."

He even did a half bow, and Marie found a nearby shell and tossed it at him. To her great surprise it hit him square on the chest. He rubbed the spot with a pained look and kept walking backwards into the lapping water. Marie watched him with a giggle as he almost tripped and then climbed over the rocks that took him deeper into the water. Admiring his tanned body moving fluidly over the rocks and his arms and back flex with the effort to pull up the trap, Marie almost failed to hear the caw that echoed from the camp. But catching a faint resonance in the air, Marie cocked her head and listened. The sound came again and recognizing it clearly as Raven in distress, Marie bolted to her feet.

"Logan! Logan! It's Raven!"

Not sure if he heard her through the distance and the still stronger than normal surf, Marie whistled and pointed to the camp's direction. Without waiting for a response, she started running when she heard the plaintive caw again. Logan for his part instantly dropped the cage he was pulling up and climbed back over the rock outcropping, not sure what she had said. On the beach only seconds later, he ran after Marie's white clad form in the distance.



The last strains of light dimmed just as Marie reached the yellow glow of the camp. The fire that Logan had started was busy boiling the water that they had left for their dinner and Marie looked around frantically for her pet.

"Raven! Raven! Where are you?"

Flinging the Jean trunk open, Marie clutched a shell that held his favorites seeds. Pouring them into one hand, she moved further away from the fire light and towards the green expanse that swayed not that far from her.

"Raven sweetie, look it's your favorite!"

She held out her hand, still breathing hard from her run, and peered into the dark swaying forest. She stood silent for a few minutes, trying to discern a noise above the rest, but the swaying palm leaves masked everything. Behind her on the beach she could now make out Logan's call. He was worried. Feeling foolish for having dashed out like she did, Marie turned and called out.

"Logan! It's okay, I thought I heard Raven!"

He was still running towards the camp, so dropping the seeds onto the Jean trunk in a neat pile, she went to at least meet him halfway. But it was then that a loud grunt made her turn around. She peered into the darkness towards the forest, just outside the halo of the campfire and gasped at three sets of glowing eyes staring back at her, fast approaching. Her mind instantly making the connection that the storm had blown away or buried their perimeter defense without them noticing earlier, Marie screamed.



Logan was slowing down in his run when Marie waved at him. He figured it had been the bird, but not sure he ran anyway. It was only when she turned away and screamed that every nerve in his body jumped into action. Instantly at a full sprint, he was within yards of her when he saw the boar. In a purely instinctual response, his right hand moved to feel his side. Only it found nothing there. Cruel irony swept him as he realized that in his haste, he had left his knife on the rocks when he saw her take off. The axe was wedged in a far tree trunk where they had been practicing how to throw. Yelling both in desperation and anger, he pumped his legs faster as the three animals, one significantly larger than the others, circled and flanked Marie in an attack formation.



Eyes wide in terror, Marie backed up into the shelter. The three beasts were circling her, each perfectly distanced from the other. In her panicked state she instantly recognized it as a group attack and whined at the sight of the biggest one approaching her with a grunting sound. They were drooling, and had their backs arched, tough spiny hair standing on end. She began to cry when they threatened her within only a few yards. They were close and they were going to kill her. In her unfocused brain Marie could think only that and didn't make out Logan's yelling until the animals stopped their approach. Quickly reorganizing their strategy, they turned to face Logan, who had now barreled into the camp's light.



The largest boar sniffed the air in recognition. It's dark eyes immediately picked up the hunter. It had approached the camp almost nightly in search of him, in search of his smell, but it could never reach him. He had a weapon. Only he didn't have it now and it was a hunter too. All he had was fear. Fear for his mate. Fear for his life. Fear of him. Unable to resist the pull of that smell, the large boar soon forgot the squealing mate and stealthily moved to stalk the hunter who was now the hunted. His fellow hunters took his cue and fell into position by him. The man was the bigger threat. He was the one that killed. He could deal the mate afterwards. She was weak and therefore not a threat.



Marie's panic stricken brain could barely register what was happening. Through tears and sobs she realized that the boars had stepped away. As she cringed against the shelter, a horrible thought occurred to her. They were moving towards Logan now. They were going to kill him, not her. Logan. The man she loved, the father of her child. That felt odd. Up until that very moment it hadn't really been a certainty. They suspected, they assumed, but they were not sure. Only now she was. As deeply as she knew she loved him, she knew she had life within her. Snapping her head to the side of the shelter where she had placed their walking sticks after the storm, Marie slowly bent and wrapped her hand around one.

In the distance, where her brain couldn't process any more data, she heard Logan yelling. He was telling her to run, to get his knife, to hide. The fear dripped in his voice, and in the tepid tropical air it was palpable. But Marie had stronger orders. Ones that came from deep within. Primordial ones that fueled the need to fight and survive. To protect what was hers. And Logan was hers. Logan was hers. Taking stealthy steps towards the closest of the trio of advancing beasts, Marie brought her walking stick high over her head and with a yell that seemed to silence everything, used all of the strength that she had in her body to bring it crashing down on it's skull.

The beast squealed in agony as it's skull splintered to pieces. Logan, the trees, the surf, even the low hum of crickets stopped in shock. The beast that she hit wobbled and turned to face her, kicking it's hind legs to ready his charge, but it fell short of it's task, tipping over and dying with it's last squeal just feet away from her. Marie looked up at the wide hazel eyes on the other side of the fire. For a brief moment they were the only things that mattered. The only things she could see. Losing the hard grip that she had on her weapon, Marie went to call out his name when a sudden grunt, followed closely by a scream stopped her in place. The hazel eyes squeezed shut in agony.

"Logan! No!!!"

The big one had taken the opportunity when Logan looked at Marie to ram him with as much energy as he could. His eight inch tusks tore into Logan's calf and shin, bringing him quickly down to his knees. In an agonizing moment the beast charged again, but Logan moved quick and held him at bay with his bare hands. They struggled, man and beast, for the right to be the hunter. Logan gripped the hulking animal's head and throat while it flayed wildly in an effort to gorge him again. Both strained and grunted and already injured and slippery with his blood, Logan lost his grip on the animal's head. He screamed again when a tusk tore into his side.

Marie shrieked and ran forward, her grip on her stick tight again, but there was a grunting shape before her, blocking her path, keeping her from him. Eyes glazed and furious, she brought the stick up and swung at the animal, but he kept just out of range, watching her closely, charging a few feet then moving back. She had the element of surprise with the first, but this one was smarter. She stepped forward and swung again, but took too long to draw back. The beast saw it's opportunity and charged. Marie moved out of the way in time, but it's tusks caught on her skirt. The fabric ripped and shaking it's head to get the fabric free, the animal brought Marie to her knees.



In his peripheral vision, Logan saw her fall. He yelled out her name, and tightened his grip on the one he had in his clutches. It's hooves were kicking into him and he felt his side bleed out, but Logan kept struggling, refusing to let the animal go. If he did, it would charge after Marie and he preferred to die with the animal in his hands then let that happen to her. Using the last of his waning strength, Logan squeezed down on the animals throat, ignoring the pain his hooves were inflicting in his side and the sand that gritted his eyes. Remembering the rage that coursed through him when Creed brought her down on the Isabella with his hand, Logan prayed to God for the second time in his life that Marie could live before passing out when a tusk slipped past his grip and tore into his chest.



Marie gasped at the suddenness in which she was on the ground. The animal had retreated for a second charge with a piece of her skirt still attached to one of it's tusks. In the back of her mind Marie knew that Logan was down. The struggling had ceased and with tears in her eyes, she looked over to see the giant boar, shake himself away from the limp body. The fire cast a flickering glow on everything and she felt her stomach turn at the sight of him covered in blood. With a whimper she turned to the beast already approaching her. She had to live because her baby had to live. With a choked sob, Marie quickly stood and grasping the stick Logan made for her one morning that seemed so far away, she swiped at the stand holding up the black cast iron spittoon still bubbling with water over the fire. The boiling water came crashing down over the fire ring and into the sand just as the boar that was charging her passed it.



Moving quick, Marie leaped onto the Jean trunk that lay just feet from her, barely missing the scalding water herself. She heard more than saw the boiling water crashing over the animal. It's skin hissed at the contact and a ear-splitting squeal broke the night air. Seeing that it was still howling in pain, Marie turned, raised her stick again and hit it square over the head with a guttural scream, breaking the stick in two. Already faltering, the animal squealed one last time before falling to the ground. Marie wanted to yell in triumph, but the biggest threat of all was stalking her now.

Turning to see it grunt at her menacingly, Marie's cold hatred resurfaced again. They evaluated each other for a quiet minute. And then she smiled. She saw fear and the beast that was the hunter was now the hunted. Throwing the splintered wood she had in her hands at it with a snarl, Marie reached over to the rum trunk next to her and grasped one of the last six bottles of rum. Slowly, ever so slowly, she uncorked it and eased down off the Jean trunk. The sand that had absorbed the boiling water was still warm under her feet. Refusing to let what he perceived to be his prey go, the beast stood it's ground. Holding the animal in place with her gaze, Marie walked slowly.

The beast needed no more opportunity than to see her come down from the trunk and out into the open. Snorting furiously, it kicked it's hind legs in the sand and grunted. Taking just a second to set his target, it charged, running hard and fast. Marie swung the bottle she had in her hand with a certainty she had never felt before. She had good aim, Logan had told her so, but this hit it's target perfectly. The bottle smashed over the beat's tusks in a spray of glass and amber liquid. Showered in glass, the animal grinded to a stop, shaking it's head in confusion and irritation at what coated his eyes. Snorting angrily, it failed to see another object approach. It was a fatal moment as he inexplicably felt himself burst into flames.

Marie shielded her face from the intense heat that eminated from the beast. It was still moving aimlessly and stepping back slowly, Marie put a hand to her throat. The stench of burning boar was terrible, and knowing what she had to do, knowing that when she did this, she could see to Logan, Marie reached into the rum trunk and withdrew a fold of leather. Yanking the string that held one side, she let the leather square unfurl.

A shaving blade fell to the sand at her feet, catching all the oranges the fire cast out. Kicking sand at the now smoldering, undistinguishable charred mass of what was once a hunter to put him out completely, Marie clenched the shaving blade tight in her small hand. She approached with sure steady steps and with a grunt slid the thin metal straight across the animal's throat. She pulled back before the spray of warm blood and liquids fell over her hand. It was surprisingly easier than she had thought. Fast and without feeling Logan had taught her, and following that lesson with every fiber in her being, Marie moved to the other two animals to do the same.

When she was done, her chest heaving, her hair matted in sweat, Marie dropped the blade as if it were hot and looked over at Logan's form. Jumping to it, she gasped as tears welled in her eyes and her stomach turned. He was unconscious, covered in blood and several deep gouges. Not knowing where to start and feeling panic rise in her again, Marie clutched at the cross on her chain and clenched her eyes tight. She needed strength. The same strength that let her kill three boars, that made her face Creed despite his size, that made her want to expose all she was to another human being to be vulnerable. Strength to make him live. Opening her eyes slowly, Marie wiped her tears away and set to work on saving Logan's life.
Chapter 11 by Dark Ferrett
XI. Blood and Guardparrots

The first thing Marie did was take a quick inventory of Logan's injuries. Taking the last half bottle of water they had, she carefully tore off a piece of her skirt to wipe away some of the blood. With a tearless sob, she realized they were extensive. The most serious was the one on his left side. It ran deep into the muscle and was bleeding a dark red. The one in his chest was not as deep and apparently missed his heart. The initial ones to the shins and calves, didn't break any bones, but certainly meant he wouldn't walk for some time.

Still smoothing and wiping, Marie came to the dire realization that the wound to Logan's side would not stop bleeding. Running to fetch her tablecoth blanket, Marie leaned into him and pressed into his side for what seemed like hours. She hadn't really allowed herself to look, but straining against his side she peered into his face. Immediately, the tears welled up again, but she shook her head and forbade them to fall. She had to be strong. But looking at Logan's sweaty and blood stained features, she felt her entire confidence shake.

What if he didn't wake up? What if he died on this island? What if her baby never knew his father? What if she was all alone? Squeezing her eyes tight, Marie shut the thoughts from her mind. She was dizzy, hungry, and scared, but the adrenaline in her body would help keep her going. She opened them again and cautiously pulled away the crumpled sheet. It was soaked in blood and in the dimming firelight, Marie saw that the flow had slowed but hadn't stopped. He was losing too much blood, and deep in her memory, Marie recalled that all the patients that died at the charity hospital where she volunteered, mostly died from bloodloss or infection.

Dropping the soaked blanket, Marie brought her bloodied hands to her temples, staining her white streaks red in the process. She needed to think. She needed to remember. Then it hit her. It was the only way he could live. Dropping her hands limply to her side, Marie looked around at the bloody and foul smelling camp. Finding her innermost resolve, she jumped into action.

Taking the three ragged petticoats that she had discarded so long ago, Marie moved to each of the boar carcasses to wrap and dispose of them. Securing them in what was once the finest lace produced in France, she grabbed at the beast's hind legs and began dragging them away from the yellow circle of light that marked human life on the island. Straining and sweating, she moved as quick as her body could carry her. When she reached the last smoldering one, she held her breath and moved even quicker. It was probably as heavy as her, but Marie gritted her teeth and pulled hard. When the bodies were three white lumps, resting side by side in the dark, Marie ran wearily back to the camp.

Now late into the night, the halo the fire offered was smaller and smaller. Glancing painfully at Logan's still lifeless body, she brought out the last of the wood that they had and raked the fire anew. Within minutes the halo grew in brightness and Marie went into the shelter to drag one of the thatched mat out. Setting it by the fire, she moved to face Logan. Rushing to his side, she fell to her knees and smoothed away the blood splattered on his face with shaking hands. Inevitably, a few tears escaped, falling on his stained and still face. She kissed his lips reverently.

"I love you Logan, please hold on."

Tearing herself away while she still could, Marie swallowed her anguished sob and ran to the rum trunk. Swinging on her sling, she gathered the remaining empty rum bottles in it and grabbed the leather fold. Picking up Logan's walking stick and the water sleeves, she ran to where she had dropped the shaving blade before. It was covered in blood and clinging bits of tissue. Quelling the urge to throw up, Marie grabbed it by the handle and wiped each side once on her tattered skirt. Clean, she slid it into the leather fold and tightened it securely. Task done, she was about to straighten out, when she heard a caw. Instinctively gripping the blade tighter with widened eyes, she gasped in relief when she saw Raven stoop down from the sky, colorful wings gliding down to meet her. She dropped both the stick and the blade.

"Oh Raven, you're back."

It settled on her forearm and Marie gave it an impetuous kiss on his red head feathers. He must have returned and been waiting for her when the boar came and scared him off. An idea occurred to her. She walked the bird over to Logan and set it down by him.

"Looo-gan, Looo-gan."

Marie tied her hair back into a knot and sniffled. It was one of the three words he knew.

"Yes, it's Logan. You must stay here Raven. You must watch over him."

She looked at the bird to see if it understood. It ruffled it's feathers and bobbed his head up and down. He was settling in. Relieved that he would at least stay, Marie took off her chain and placed it in Logan's bloody fingers. Leaping to her feet, she grabbed her stick and the wrapped blade and ran off into the darkness.



The glass tinkled in her sling, but Marie ran hard. She was pretty sure there were more boar on the island, and the last thing she wanted was for them to smell the carnage in the camp and approach Logan while she was away. Her feet slipping in the sand, she grimaced when she stepped over the residue of the shell perimeter. Spotting the tree Logan had been teaching her to throw an axe before the storm came, Marie made a quick detour, sliding the blade into the sash at her waist and coming to a skid when she was before it. Bracing herself with a foot on the trunk, she wedged the axe out and turned it a few times in her hand.

It felt good. Safe. Taking off again at full speed, Marie entered the tropical forest neither she nor Logan had ever walked at night. Luckily she knew the paths well, having traveled them almost every day. Not thinking of the dangers another boar would present, she ran blindly. Occasionally tripping over roots or leaves still slippery from the rainstorm, Marie trudged forward, axe swinging by her side, stick feeling the space before her, using the slight illumination of the half moon still covered in lingering storm clouds to guide her.

In little under twenty minutes, Marie reached her hour long destination. Heaving and panting, she fell to her knees on the rock Logan had made love to her on a lifetime ago. Still suppressing the tears, she uncorked and filled the bottles and the sleeves. Taking some of the herbs that grew nearby, she stooped over the rush of water for a long drink herself. Her body was hot from the excursion, but now partially wet, Marie felt a chill run through her. The air was still cool. Not wanting to waste a second of precious time, Marie ignored her body's complaints and ran out of the clearing, crossing the jungle back from where she came. Keeping an ear out for Raven's call, she went at full speed but was moving much slower from the weight of the water and the exhaustion that was slowly consuming her.

When Marie finally reached the beach, sweating and out of breath, the moon was low in the sky. Ignoring the ache in her shins and the jab in her side, Marie clambered over to Logan's side, dropping her things before she reached him. Raven cawed loudly at her arrival. She put a hand to his throat. He was taking shallow breaths. The blanket at his side was completely soaked in red now. A few tears leaked out again. She wiped at them impatiently.

"Don't worry Logan, I won't let you leave me."

Looking at the distance she had to cover with a weary look, Marie took a deep breath and moved behind Logan taking a firm grip under his armpits and shoulders. At first he didn't budge at all, and she yanked again. Eventually he moved and practically feeling his wounds rip again, Marie closed her eyes and pulled Logan with all her might the fifteen feet she needed to reach the mat by the fire. Finally seeing him settle somewhat onto the green mat, Marie let go and fell on her behind, exhausted beyond comprehension. To her dismay all of his cuts started bleeding again, and scrambling to her feet again she went to get everything ready.

With shaky hands, Marie moved the spittoon by her, the blade that she washed at the waterfall, an assortment of shells holding her varied concoctions, all of the rags and clothing she had available, the remaining five bottles of rum and a little porcelain box, she had kept tucked safely at the bottom of the Jean trunk. Finally settling next to Logan and the raging fire, Marie steadied her breathing and opened the painted porcelain box gingerly. Inside was a set of gold needles and an assortment of natural linen thread.

Marie opened a bottle and flooded the porcelain box with rum. Taking the shaving blade out of it's leather wrap, she gave it a few sharpening passes on it's accompanying stone like she had seen Logan do before. Satisfied that it was sharp enough, she dropped it onto a flat shell and covered it in rum also. Clenching her teeth tightly, she removed the blanket at his side next. The blood was still flowing and trying to remember everything she had ever heard or seen the surgeons say at the charity hospital, Marie cleaned the cut again with water before taking a rag soaked in rum. She looked sadly at Logan's still face illuminated to clarity by the fire raging next to them.

"I'm sorry Logan, but I have to do this."

Bringing the rum to his ravished flesh, she washed it as best she could with a grimace. Taking the soaking needles out of the porcelain box, she threaded both carefully and closed her eyes to prepare herself. Summoning all the needlepoint skills she ever had to her tired and sore hands, Marie descended on Logan's side to stitch up the damage the giant boar had inflicted.



Done stitching some hours later, Marie peered over her shoulder to the brightening sky over the water. Dawn was fast approaching and fighting the sleep that fought to overwhelm her, Marie finished cutting the last threads with the blade and reached over to shred more bandages. Wrapping remnants of Jean's nightgowns around his torso and legs, Marie finally sat back and contemplated Logan's face. He was still unconscious and as the hours passed, Marie didn't know if that was good or not.

Rinsing her hands in the bloody rum by her, Marie took a scrap of fabric and soaked it in lavender and calendula scented water. Tenderly passing it over his body, Marie cleaned Logan as best she could. Gathering his loose hair to the back, she peered again at the horizon. The sky was bright now, bringing with it the island's typical heat. Marie ran her eyes over all the bandages. The bleeding had slowed significantly but she needed to keep Logan in the shade.

Standing after hours of kneeling, Marie bent over Logan's head and pulled at the mat he was laying on. Using the last bit of strength she had, Marie slowly eased him across the distance and into the shelter. Pushing everything in there to the side, she tucked the blue velvet pillow under his head and lay down on the thatched floor next to him. Positioning his hands carefully by his side, Marie paused when her gold chain fell out of Logan's fingers. Picking it up slowly, she tucked it back in and looked up at Logan's face. Flashes of the first time she woke up on the island and thought he was dying passed through her mind. She had pressed a hand over his heart and fallen asleep tiredly by his side, only to wake up fighting again.

Kissing his still lips, Marie ran a finger past Logan's features and finally released the tears she had choked back all night long. Her body ached from exhaustion and her soul felt heavy in it's sorrow. They had come so far. They had loved so much. Sobs shook her completely. Letting the horror of the whole experience run through her, Marie carefully tore off her stained and torn slipdress and threw it outside, tucking carefully into Logan's side. Moving the hand that held the cross to brush against her belly, like he had been doing so much recently, Marie slipped her hand over his bandaged chest. To her great surprise, she could make out his heartbeat and still crying softly, Marie smiled and closed her eyes, yielding to an unsteady sleep.



Lost in a tangle of dark twirling waters that smelt of blood, Marie woke up with a start. She had forgotten the previous night's events completely, but seeing the bandages on Logan reminded her instantly. She reached up to touch his face and he was still immobile. Feeling her heart sink, she moved a shaky hand to his throat. His heartbeat was threaded but there. Sitting up with tears in her eyes, Marie looked around. She had taken his loincloth off when she cleaned him. Taking one of the two blankets that were left, she covered him up cautiously and headed out to face the wreckage of their camp in the bright sun.

Spotting the three white, frilly lumps not to far off, Marie clasped her hand over her stomach. There was so much to do, but first things first. Finding the tortoise shell bowl they kept by the sleeves, Marie grabbed one of the last fruit and chewed thoughtfully while sitting on the Jean trunk. Logan had told her she was eating for two a few days before. Rubbing her stomach again she sighed deeply. Their child.

Tossing the plum seed into the fire pit, Marie shook her head of those thoughts and began to strategize a plan. Because of the two day storm, they were low on everything. She needed to get rid of the carcasses, get rid of everything stained in blood, fetch water, more food, maybe catch dinner in case Logan woke up, chop more wood, wash everything she could use as bandages and reinforce a perimeter again. Marie looked up at the sun. It was almost midday and although she had only slept a few hours, she only had seven or eight before it was dark again. Ignoring the pain in her calves and the dull ache in her arms, Marie gathered some seeds and walked over to Raven to explain his part of the plan.

"Raven, Raven,"

The bird swooped down to her outstretched hand and cawed happily. She feed him seeds.

"Ma-reee, Ma-reee."

"Yes Raven, it's Marie and I have a job for you."

"Yessss, Yessss."

"Raven you have to stay here and watch Logan. He's hurt and I have to go do things."

"Looo-gan, Looo-gan."

She gave him more seeds with a smile. The bird had never used all of his three word vocabulary at once before.

"Yes Raven, stay and watch him. You're a guardparrot now."

He responded by whistling and cawing some more. He was apparently talked out. Marie pet him softly before setting the seeds on the perch and moving to check up on Logan one last time. Pushing the entrance curtain back, she stepped inside and swallowed painfully. Bending over him, she placed a soft kiss on his forehead and smoothed back his dark hair.

"I have to go Logan, but I'll be back soon, and Raven is staying here with you."

Feeling the tears threaten, Marie gave him a final kiss on each eyelid and stood up.

"I love you."



Walking out of the shelter, Marie wiped at her tears and took a redeeming breath of fresh air. Walking over to where she had dropped it, Marie bent over and grabbed the axe. Clad only in her lacy bottoms, Marie used Logan's old belt to hold it in the small of her back. Remembering that she had to fetch the knife that was left on the rocks, she gathered all of the bloody sheets and stained clothes into a bundle, the tortoiseshell at her hip and started towards the rock outcropping on the westend beach with a final look at Raven.

Returning a few hours later with washed linens and over a dozen crabs in the trap, Marie stopped and collected as many shells as she could find. Setting the spittoon back in it's stand over the fire, she boiled the linens in what was left of the fresh water, adding all the plants she knew or even suspected were medicinal. Leaving the crabs to claw at each other noisily in the trap under shade, she exchanged the axe at her back for a knife at her side and went off to collect more shells. Making several trips that filled the giant tortoiseshell many times over, Marie looked in at Logan every chance she got.

Dragging the carcasses of the boar further away, she lay down a new perimeter line of crushed and cracked shells next. Working with tears in her eyes, she looked at their only defense and decided she couldn't take any more chances. Smashing the five empty rum bottles that remained with the axe, Marie sprinkled glass over the perimeter as well. Satisfied that it would have to suffice, she laid out all the linens in nearby trees to dry and set out for the waterfall to bathe and fetch more food and water. When she returned, her streaks shining white once again, it was already mid-evening and she had yet to collect firewood.

It was the task she least wanted to do, but knowing that she had used all of the reserves while working on Logan at night, she had no choice. Swinging the metal tiredly for close to an hour, she was finally able to cut down a branch that Logan had been felling. Dragging it slowly though the sand back to camp, she was shocked to hear Raven's loud cawing. Terror instantly filling her, Marie sprinted forward with a hand at her side. Unsheathing the knife, she leaped over the newly dangerous perimeter and quickly scanned around. Raven was cawing loudly on his perch.

"Raven!!"

It flew to her and settled on her shoulder just as Marie pulled back the curtain. Logan's pain-filled hazel eyes stared back at her. Strangely enough he had on the widest grin.

"Logan! Oh my god, Don't move!"

She quickly fell to his side and Raven reiterated his name in the corner. Logan chuckled real low. He couldn't ever remember the bird coming inside the hut before. But Marie's fluttering soon took precedence. She was kissing all over his face.

"Marie, Marie darling, I'm okay."

Just then a coughing spell hit him and she reached for the last bottle of water by his side.

"Here drink this."

She brought it carefully over his lips and poured some over them. Logan couldn't sit up but was more than glad for the trickle that soothed his throat. He coughed a little more, the pain in his side making it an excruciating effort. Marie stared at him, concern making her eyes glisten.

"Logan, lie back, please."

He eased back onto the velvet pillow and brought a hand to his side. The chain was still wrapped in it. When the pain subsided he opened his eyes again.

"Were you hurt?"

Eyes half closed in pain, Logan brought his hand to cradle her face. She shook her head no and showered his hand with kisses. He had seen her walk in with the knife in her hands before she dropped it.

"How did?

"Shhhhh. Don't worry. I laid another perimeter, they're not coming back. The three are dead."

Logan moved his hand down onto her neck, grazed by her breast and settled on her hip. She looked exhausted. He had seen her kill one, but he found it so hard to believe she had gotten the other two as well. Thoughts of the baby flashed through his mind.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Marie shook her head yes, the action making tears spill down to her lap. She ignored them and clutched at his hand again.

"I'm okay, just tired."

Her eyes moved down to his bandages. They didn't have red stains on them, but she had to change them nevertheless. Despite the warm air, he felt cool to the touch.

"Logan you lost so much blood, I stitched you up as best I could, but you had a very deep gash on your side. I want to take a look at it.

Logan nodded, still a little dizzy from the pain.

"Does it hurt real bad?"

He smiled slightly. He was used to ignoring lots of bumps and bruises. It came with the territory when you fought for silver, but that beast had done a number on him. Got him good.

"A little."

Marie frowned at his bravado and Raven cawed in his corner.

"I'll get some things. Are you hungry?"

Logan shook his head no and grabbed her hand before she left. He slowly took the chain that was still there and pressed it into her palm.

"Put this on Marie. It belongs on you."

Wiping at her tears, Marie slipped it over her head and pulled back the curtain completely, so Logan could get some sun at least. She came back almost instantly. Wiping her hands with rum, she kneeled by Logan's side.

"This is going to hurt some."

Logan nodded in understanding and thought back to the night he had told her the same thing. When Raven scratched her shoulder. It was the day he took her for the first time. His smile turned into a grimace at the feel of moist bandages being peeled back from raw skin, Logan squeezed Marie's hand reassuringly. She peeled it all off and looking at the intensity in her face, Logan understood why he loved her so much. She was the bravest person he knew.

"Logan, I'm going to clean it now."

He grunted an agreement and braced for the burn that followed the swish of the bottle. He saw stars for a few minutes, but easing down on the mat again, took Marie's hand.

"Finish."

She wiped her brow and continued. Eventually the wound was dry again and Marie started ripping new bandages from the linens that had dried. Logan watched her work in silence with a clenched jaw. She was suffering all right, but she was all business too. Taking a drink of the rum to ease the pain it had just inflicted, Logan reached out to her. Marie tied the last of the bandages by his calf when she looked up and took his hand.

"All done."

Logan took another drink and pressed Marie to his side. With her breasts brushing him and her hair in his hands, he instantly felt better.

"Thank you."

Marie kissed his shoulder and leaned in. It was the most relaxed she had felt in forever. Breathing a deep sigh of relief, she allowed herself to believe that Logan was going to be alright. Within seconds she was fast asleep. Logan let her nap for a full hour, slowly easing the pain with a little rum and feeling her soft skin under his hand. When she woke with a start, he clutched her tight. She had been making whimpering noises. Logan knew she had been dreaming about the boar. Attempting to move and only finding blinding pain, Logan settled back, feeling utterly useless to make things better for her.

"Logan, don't try to move. I'll get it, what do you need?"

Marie flipped her hair back, and looked at him fearfully. Logan clenched his jaw.

"Nothing, darling, it's just the pain."

Marie's eyes darkened. And she looked outside. It was late evening and he hadn't eaten yet.

"I'll start a fire. You need to eat, to get your strength back."

Logan held her in place.

"I'm okay. I`ll be up in a few days."

Marie cradled his face tenderly and planted a kiss on his jaw. She needed to shave him.

"Let me take care of you Logan. You've done nothing but risk your life and take care of me. Let me do this."

Logan dropped his gaze. He hated the idea of being catered to, but it was true. The sooner he healed the better it would be. He took a peak at how she stitched him. The knots were tight and small and they hadn't smelled bad or drained, which were the first signs of infection. If he ate and rested he would be good in a few days. He offered her a tight smile. It earned him another kiss on the jawline.

"I was bringing in firewood. I'll be back soon."

Logan watched her walk off and pick up the axe along the way. For a minute it struck him odd, but then he remembered the look on her face when she brought down the first boar. Brave. Feeling useless and restless, Logan waited patiently for her return while petting Raven absentmindedly. The bird was actually growing on him and in the dimming twilight, he was comforting.

When she finally returned carrying pieces of branch, he opened his eyes and focused on her every move. It took her a few tries, but she relit the fire, and occasionally looking over at him and offering a smile, separated the crab legs and set them to boil. Coming back to clear the hut of the used bandages she offered him another kiss and set down the tortoiseshell of scented water next to him.

"Lavender?"

"Yes, it's lavender."

Remembering the time on the Esmeralda she cleaned him up with rosewater, Logan smiled and watched Marie's breasts sway as her hands moved a cloth all over his body. She noticed his regard and colored slightly.

"You're enjoying this."

Logan grinned a little wider. He was ticklish on his side.

"Yup."

She rinsed the cloth and passed it one last time over his belly. He tightened the grip he had on her hip. She moved up to smooth back his hair, but it was the mischief in his eyes that caught her attention.

"I'm glad you're feeling so well Logan, but we can't."

"Why not?"

Her eyes went real wide and she turned even redder.

"Because it'll kill you."

Logan chuckled and brought her face to meet his. She kissed him willingly enough, but it was true. He could barely move from pain and was half drunk already. Maybe later she'd change her mind though. Moving back, Marie brought a hand to her lips and smiled. Without another word, she collected her things and went to check on dinner. Coming back a few moments later with fresh pineapple juice, sliced mango and tons of red crab legs, Rogue helped Logan sit up some and started to feed him.

They ate in calm silence, each enjoying the company of the other, fully aware that they had been so close to losing it. Even Raven seemed strangely complacent, choosing to stay tucked in a corner of the hut rather than outside on the perch. Eventually Marie stepped out to clean the cooking things and rake the fire one last time. Grabbing the book he requested and she had left on the beach the night before, Marie settled in next to Logan, who now well fed and still half drunk, felt significantly better.

She opened the book to the chapter he left off on, bring the bookmark to each of their noses for a sniff first. Reading for him as the last of the daylight and most of the firelight faded, Marie breathed easy knowing that Logan would be okay. His grip on her tightened as she felt him relax and checking to see if the knife was securely by her other side, Marie cuddled closer, loving the feel of his warm hand on her belly. They both drifted to sleep in the warm breeze, just as the sails of the Santa Anna cleared the horizon several miles off shore in the seascape they were now so familiar with.
Chapter 12 by Dark Ferrett
XII. Fiancés and Goodbyes

Lebeau was partaking of his final walk over the deck of the Santa Anna when the first mate interrupted his thoughts.

"Sir, the skipper just gave me an inventory report."

Lebeau waved his gloved hand without turning. He rubbed his temples with the other. The first mate thought it over carefully before giving his report. In almost three weeks as commander of the ship, Lebeau had proven to have a sore disposition that had the crew on edge. At least the pay was good, so they allowed themselves to be barked at by the nobleman, but they wouldn't take it much longer. If their livelihoods didn't depend on the fact that Xavier, the biggest origin of silver and work in the New World wasn't happy, the French nobleman would have bumped across a saber two and half weeks ago. That and the fact that there was a reward for the ship that found so much as a scrap of the girl's dress, were the only things that kept the usually easy going first mate from throwing the man overboard himself.

"Sir, the grain is almost gone and the stock of fresh water will be depleted in four days."

Lebeau raised his sights and waved the man away with a hand without looking at him.

"Leave me McCoy. I have no desire to hear dis."

The first mate didn't waste time expanding and turned to leave. Lebeau gnashed his teeth and gripped the rail of the deck with both hands. He did it every night, and despite the other ships combing the water, Lebeau knew he had to be the one that found her. Shaking his head in disbelief at the complete absurdity of the situation, Remy took out his pocket watch. Glancing at the hour, he snapped the gold disk shut and was about to turn to retire to his room when a flash caught his eye.

Lebeau peered into the dark waters, mind still discerning if what he had seen was an illusion. Missing his coat's watchpocket, the gold watch banged against the rail and dangled off it's chain, but the nobleman ignored it completely, because off in the distance the light flickered again, and his vision sharpening, Lebeau could make out the dark black outline of a mountain island in the slightly lighter backdrop of the navy sky.

"McCoy!!!! McCoy!!!!"

The first mate jumped from where he was securing the wheel at the helm and ran to the man that was practically hanging off the railing.

"Wha……"

McCoy's breath was cut short when Lebeau pulled him by the front of his shirt and pointed to the horizon.

"Look man!! Look!!"

McCoy followed the leather clad finger into the darkness, before turning his face back to Lebeau's. They stared at each other for a quick minute before both men grinned like fools and then jumped into action.



Marie awoke several times in the night, flinging her eyes open with Logan's slightest flinch. Even in his sleep, she could tell he was in pain. Checking his breathing and looking down to see if the bandages had seeped through, Marie would settle back into the velvet pillow they shared and fitfully go back to sleep.

But looking over at the corner of the hut, Marie noticed that it was Raven and not Logan that she had sensed this time. The bird fluttered his wings noisily a few times before flying out. Marie thought about that and went to call for him but was reluctant to do so because Logan might wake. Taking a moment to set her wits about her, she wrapped her hand around the knife that rested just a foot from her and stealthily stood and stepped out of the shelter.

She could make out mostly everything in the silvery moonlight. The fire was almost completely out, but even that glow helped a little. Crouched low, she scanned the strip of forest not too far off with the knife still tight in her hand. She could see no movement except for the sway of trees. Seeing no signs of visible tracks or eyes peering in the distance, Marie lifted her arm, silently calling for Raven. The bird settled on her forearm fast enough and cooing a soft word to his head, Marie turned to see how far the moon was over in the sky. What she saw instead were white sails billowing gently in the wind. Dropping the knife she had onto the sand, Marie let out a harsh gasp and clasped a hand over her cross.

"Logan! Logan!"

Marie ran into the shelter just as Logan flung his eyes open and grabbed for the knife that no longer slept by his side. There was panic in his wild look and Marie instantly regretted her outburst when she saw him grit his eyes in his sudden effort to get up.

"Marie, wh…agghhh"

"No Logan, It's okay, It's a ship, a ship!!"

Marie jumped to his side and Logan stopped his movement in an effort to understand. The bright look in Marie's eyes could only mean one thing.

"A ship?"

Marie nodded and caught his less than excited look.

"What's wrong Logan? We're going to be rescued! This is wonderful!"

Logan smiled weakly, still clutching his side.

"Of course, darling. But, it could be pirates."

The smile on Marie's face died out. Logan cradled her face gingerly, regretting he could take her smile away so fast. She still had nightmares about the Isabella.

"No baby, don't get upset. Were the sails out?"

Marie nodded blankly.

"Good, then help me to my feet."

She hesitated a little, but Logan was already tossing aside his blanket. Against better judgment, Marie helped him to his feet. He gritted his teeth at the sharp pain that took his breath away.

"Logan!"

"It's okay baby, just help me out."

Marie's eyes glistened in his pain and leaning his shoulder over hers helped ease him outside. Logan took one look at the sails that were now drawing closer and smiled through his pain.

"That's one of your father's ships. The Santa Anna. We need to add to the fire."

Marie turned to look at him with what could only be described as cold shock. Logan slid gingerly down to the cover of the rum trunk, out of breath from his exertion. Marie turned to look at the sails that were luminescent in the moonlight. Without a doubt, they were getting bigger.

"M-m-my father?"

Logan hissed through his teeth. The fact that he could make the outline of her pale body so sharply, reminded him of another fact. He opened the Jean trunk and leaned over for what was inside.

"Marie. Marie put this on, add to the fire darling."

She turned at the brush of fabric on her arm and blindly reached for his long sleeved shirt. Logan shook her a little, grumbling in pain at the movement.

"Marie, they might not stop, the fire."

She turned to look at the pained hazel eyes and quickly remembered what she needed to do. Throwing on the shirt, she bent to help Logan with his long abandoned trousers, but he raised an eyebrow at her. Marie jumped up.

"Right, the fire."

Reaching the fire pit, Rogue removed the spittoon and added the rest of the wood she had collected earlier. Still a little moist, it didn't reach the intensity they needed. With an eye on Logan, she ran into the shelter and brought out the two remaining sheets, still warm from their sleep. Soaking them with the last three remaining rum bottles she tossed them to the fire too. Instantly the blaze shot up and Logan turned at the heat that pelted his back. Even Raven cawed on his perch. Marie gave him a wry look and added palm leaves for smoke for good measure. Running to Logan, she finished buttoning his pants for him.

"Logan we're going to be rescued!"

He was dizzy with pain, but Logan chuckled at her excitement nevertheless. He had to admit he was going to miss the place, but home was anywhere Marie was. She gave him a kiss and turned to look at the ship, it was still miles away but they could clearly see it's approach. Logan grabbed at Marie's waist. She sat next to him on the trunk and leaned on his shoulder. The moon was hanging low on the sky and the reality of the situation hit them both.

"They'll anchor soon and send a boat."

Marie nodded mutely. His hand had slipped to her stomach and she knew he was feeling the doubts that always plagued him.

"First thing, remember?"

Logan looked down at her face and thought back when he asked her to be his wife. Her eyes were wide and soft and so full of meaning. He choked down his urge to kiss her and swallowed hard. It's what he wanted, but she would loose so much in doing so.

"Yes Marie, first thing."

She buried her face into him again and Logan struggled with the urge to cry. Just as he said, the ship was close now and it dropped anchor. They heard the splash clearly in the breezy night and taking his cue, Logan pulled her back slightly.

"Marie, they'll be all kinds of questions and……"

Marie stared at him and knew immediately something was wrong.

"Please don't tell me you'll leave me."

Logan stopped breathing at the words. They hurt more than his side. He cupped her face.

"No, darling, no. But we have to be careful. You, you…"

Marie stood up and clutched the cross at her heart.

"Logan no, I love you. I don't care who knows it. I don't. They could think what they want."

He raised a hand to catch her arm. He knew exactly what kind of scandal was going to hit her, but she didn't. And she was so happy a minute ago. She deserved that. To be happy to be going home. Two more splashes hit the dark waters. Just another ten minutes and the only paradise he had ever known would be breached.

"Okay Marie, we'll let them know, but promise me you'll wait until you see your family. Until you're with your father."

Marie shook her head in understanding and moved to cradle his head to her chest. He was worried for her, but she knew her father. If anybody would understand, he would. Kissing the gauzy fabric bunched at her stomach and running his hands up her thighs slowly, Logan pulled away again. He smiled up into her face, vaguely wondering if she would still run her hands through his hair later on.

"Collect your things darling, you're going home."

She smiled widely again, having missed the pronoun and gave the approaching rowboats another look before running to collect everything they had into the Jean trunk. In reality they had almost nothing out, but she bustled around busily taking all her plants, shells, and things. The only thing that wouldn't fit was the walking stick and she could carry that. When she finally stuffed the velvet sheet back into the trunk where it had originated from, she looked up excitedly at Logan. He was petting Raven.

"Logan, what about Raven?"

Logan's gaze didn't waver from the approaching boats. The happiest he had ever been. He blinked furiously and spoke low.

"You couldn't leave him if you tried, darling."

Marie pet the bird too, looking over at the water also.

"But he'll miss it here. This is his home."

Logan snorted thoughtfully.

"His home is with you."

Marie stared at Logan's grim words. They were dripping with sadness and she didn't quite know why, but her time to ponder it was gone. With a grunt, he made an effort to stand and took two cautious steps forward on the sand.

The first rowboat had almost hit the beach. Each had three men. Someone was pulling it, and in any place he would recognize the enormous frame of his former bunkmate. Marie stood up expectantly and tugged at the open collar of Logan's shirt. In no time at all, the enormous man she had once stepped on, ran up to greet Logan with a hearty laugh. The others were still wedging the boat into the sand and the second wasn't even on the beach yet.

"Logan, you sea dog! I knew you would be alive."

"Bishop. You still owe me from the last fight."

The man's dark eyes ran to Marie, who put Raven on her shoulder and timidly yanked at her short hem. Logan stretched his hand to her. She walked into his embrace. Even bandaged and hurt, nothing felt safer than Logan's hard chest.

"You remember Marie."

The giant man smiled at her and Marie saw how genuinely happy he was to see them.

"How could I forget? Was she the one that hurt you this time?"

Marie blushed and Raven cawed. She felt awkward but Logan was happy again. She felt it on the easy grip he had on her waist and the low chuckle that reverberated in through her back.

"Ma-reee."

All three burst into laughter, but before Marie could excuse her bird, a voice called from the beach. A chill that even Logan felt, ran down her back. She gasped as the man whose ring still lay at the bottom of the ocean, ran to her in his tall leather boots.

"Marie Elizabeth! I have found you!"

Pushing past Bishop, who just grinded his teeth, Lebeau stopped short at the sight of a fiancé he was not prepared to see. Immediately uncomfortable, Marie took a small step away from Logan. Greatest nightmare come true, Logan tensed. He had hoped so much for his Marie to see her family again, but the French bastard was never in any of his thoughts. He had hoped, but there he was, as well dressed and undeniable as ever. He felt the deepest part of his stomach turn in fear. Bishop saw his friend's fists clench and felt along his side for his weapon in case of trouble. He found it so odd that Logan apparently didn't have his. That blade was practically an extension to the hand of the man he knew – before the girl.

"Remy! What are you doing here?"

The tall man ran his gaze down her body and didn't fail to catch the hand that was at her waist. Giving the savage a hostile look, he swallowed his hurt pride and extended his hand to her. She didn't take it. He dropped it with clenched fists and straightened his back even further.

"I have searched the seas for you Marie Elizabeth. Were you expecting any less?"

Marie choked on her words, as the rest of the men approached and stood a little ways off. Her proximity to Logan and his possessive stance on her wasn't lost on anyone and they each knew that it was her fiancé that had made their life hell to find her. Feeling completely naked in the thigh length shirt, Marie faltered under so many eyes. Raven sensed her distress and cawed loudly, flapping her hair around some.

"Of course Monsieur. This is all a shock, I assure you."

Logan huffed in disbelief. Two seconds with the asshole and already she was speaking to him like he was royalty. Marie turned and saw Logan's disgusted expression. She choose to ignore it and with glassy eyes stumbled on.

"You remember Mr. Logan. H-he saved my life, but he's hurt and needs medical attention."

Remy smiled grimly at the savage. His worst suspicions were immediately confirmed by the look of sheer hatred in the other man's eyes. Even in the flickering firelight, he could make it out clearly. Flexing his gloved hands, he shook his long coat off. He was not going to let the savage make a fool of him in front of these men.

"We'll discuss that later my dear, please."

Marie didn't step into the open coat, rather reached for it and slipped it on, while Raven patiently crossed from one of her shoulders to the other. Sensing that neither man was happy with her gesture, McCoy cleared his throat from where his crew were exchanging knowing glances. They all knew of the Wolverine either by reputation in silver fighting or first hand. McCoy himself had earned lots of money whenever the Wolverine was in port, but they were all genuinely shocked that hurt or not, he hadn't gutted the prissy French asshole over the girl already.

"We have to hurry, a storm looks like it's headed to these waters."

All eyes fell on the first mate. Thanks to Bobby, even Marie knew that wasn't true. But Bishop looked at McCoy and for the first time in his life, thought it was a good idea to avoid a fight.

"Do you have anything to take back Miss?"

Marie tore her eyes from Remy and turned to the large man with a shaky voice. It felt so odd to be expected to give orders again.

"Yes please. Those trunks and my walking stick, thank you."

Her voice faded to nothing and the other four men went to help Bishop, leaving just Logan and Lebeau to stare at each other grimly. Lebeau finally stepped forward in his immaculately white shirt that ruffled in the breeze and went to take Marie's hand. Both Raven and Logan protested with a jerk. Marie stepped back flush against Logan and spoke up in her plaintive voice. The rum trunk walked past them.

"Please Monsieur, this was our home…must say goodbye."

Knowing he could not force the issue, Lebeau bowed to her slightly and walked down the stretch of beach to pace by the boats in agitation. His plan had to be adjusted and fighting to control his urge to put a bullet in the savage, Lebeau worked tracks into the sand and tugged at the unbearably hot collar he was wearing.

Marie turned to face Logan's hard gaze. He was hurting. She had hurt him. It took a second for her to realize that he was staring at the fine coat she had draped on. He hadn't spoken since Remy showed.

"Logan, I didn't want a disagreement."

He closed his eyes briefly and Marie didn't know if it was her words or his side. Both seemed painful. He raised his hands to her shoulders but just kept them hovered over her. Raven grew very still. Marie closed her eyes and looked down. He didn't even want to touch her.

"Let's just say goodbye."

Marie nodded and turned to look at the men carry away the Jean trunk. All that was left was the shelter and the fire-ring. Traces that would be gone given enough time. Despite their tumultuous emotions, each felt a wave of nostalgia wash over them. Almost a month, and they had shared so many memories. It was a shame they couldn't see the waterfalls one last time, or at least a sunset out over the rocks. The breeze in the wan moonlight blew, bringing Marie's streaks to fly to Logan's face. He caught the long strands and pressed it to his lips. So soft. He recalled the feel of her skin under his hands and under his lips. Softer even than her hair.

Without saying a word or caring who noticed, Logan stretched a hand into the coat she was wearing and settled it over her stomach. Marie closed her eyes and leaned her head back on his chest. Even Raven stilled. He might have known that that was goodbye for him also. Placing her hand over his, Marie let a tear escape her eyes. Too full of emotion to talk, they quietly took in the sway of the forest, the hum of crickets, the gentle slopes of the sand littered with the occasional shell, the sound of the never-ending surf, the smell of greenery and salt. They basked in all those senses before quietly turning and walking towards the men waiting at the two boats hand in hand.

Seeing the difficulty he had walking, Bishop trotted back over to Logan's side to offer support. Practically carrying the man, Marie let Bishop move ahead when she remembered her walking stick. Running the short distance back, she grabbed it and took the remaining seeds Raven had on his perch into her pocket. Hit with an ache deep in her chest, Marie bent down and wrote two names in the sand. Satisfied that she had named their island one last time, Marie ran back to the shore. To her great disappointment, Logan was in the boat that was already pulling away, stretched out on the red leather of the rum trunk. Head raised slightly to follow her form.

"Marie Elizabeth come along."

Lebeau grabbed her arm and ushered her back towards the second waiting boat. Not letting McCoy help her on board, Lebeau lifted her in and sat her down stiffly at the end. Raven protested loudly at Lebeau's proximity, but Marie brought him down to her lap and petted him softly. The two men behind them moved in unison to drag the oars in and through the water. The soft slurping sound was the only thing she heard. That and Lebeau. He was busily chatting about searching and marriage and her father. She was oblivious to all of it. Marie's complete awareness was fixed on the hazel eyes some yards ahead of her. The ones clouded in pain and uncertainty. Just like her own, wanting, wondering, and waiting for what would happen next.
Chapter 13 by Dark Ferrett
XIII. Old Friends and Revenge

Marie snapped out of her haze long enough to tighten her grip on Raven. She could tell the bird was troubled, and she reached into Remy's coat pocket for more seeds. She had lost sight of Logan because his boat was being pulled up out of the water first. Looking up at the imposing wooden hull of the Santa Anna in the dark, Marie waited eagerly as ropes were cast down, the boat was secured and a dozen men on deck heaved the rowboat slowly up over the side. Standing in anticipation, just as it cleared the hull line, Marie ignored the curious looks she got from the men and scanned the deck quickly for Logan.

He was being pulled out of the boat by his enormous friend. She clutched Raven tighter at the hurt she caught in his grimace, but before she could interrupt Remy's incessant fawning and ask about a ship's doctor, she heard her name being called.

"Marie Elizabeth, Thank God!"

She looked over just as St. John weaved through the crowd of ship hands and skidded to a stop in front of her. Overwhelmed with love for her former servant, no her friend, she corrected herself, Marie ignored his hesitation to approach her and to everyone's slack-jawed surprise, jumped out of the rowboat and into the Santa Anna before it was completely anchored. She pulled her free arm around him with an enormous smile.

"St John!! I missed you so much!!"

The man immediately stiffened at the contact, but ignoring Lebeau's grumble and well-engrained rules of propriety, hugged her back. She eventually let go and tucked Raven under her arm. The poor thing was almost crushed. St. John looked at it questioningly. Raven looked at him similarly.

"I had no idea you were on board. How is poppa and Kitty?"

"They have been so troubled. Heartbroken really, but they are in Puerto Nuevo now, since Katherine arrived a few weeks ago. They will be so happy to see you again."

Lebeau tightened his jaw at the easy familiarity between the two. There were four ships presently searching the Caribbean and it was no secret St. John came on the one he commandeered because he didn't trust him. Ignoring McCoy's smirk, Lebeau leaped clumsily out of the rowboat and went straight to Marie Elizabeth's side. They were already knee deep in conversation about her family.

"Marie Elizabeth my dear, you must save the catching up for later. I have quarters waiting."

Marie tightened her grip on Raven and looked over at Logan. He was gone. Her heart sunk at not knowing where. About to ask, she was stopped by St. John's hand to her elbow.

"Yes, it's very late. That would be best."

Marie caught his strained voice and let herself get ushered along. To her great relief, St. John led her away from Lebeau. She didn't miss the civil yet hostile look they both exchanged, but wisely kept silent. Lebeau fumed as he was upstaged yet again. Standing on deck as he watched her being taken away by her ever-present chaperone, he ignored the men bustling around him and altered his plan yet again.



The minute Marie was in her new quarters, she slipped off Remy's coat and turned to St. John. He was struggling futily with Raven who had seemed to like him enough to start waddling back and forth between his shoulders.

"Marie Elizabeth, this is a most charming animal, but could you please…get it off?"

Marie thanked the men that settled her trunks in the corner of the expansive, well furnished room, and quickly closed the door behind them. Silently raising her arm to call Raven, she pet the bird a few times before walking to a tall clothes rack and settling him down with a few seeds. St. John stared at her oddly for a few minutes. This was not the girl he knew so well.

"Where did you learn to do that?"

Marie ignored his question and pushed him to sit down on a satin purple chase. She sat directly opposite him on the bed and absentmindedly eased on a robe that was folded over her pillows.

"St. John, do you love me?"

Shocked, the man's eyes widened and he turned a curious shade of crimson. Again, Marie had caught him completely unguarded. She stared at him directly, not wavering her gaze one bit.

"Well, umm, you see, umm Marie Elizabeth, yes, yes of course I…love you."

He managed to choke the words out and Marie smiled sadly.

"Thank you St. John, I love you too. My only regret is that I've never told you."

She looked down to her hands and struggled to get the rest out.

"I have been such a foolish girl for so long. All these years and I never told you."

St. John gulped uneasily. He had served Marie and Katherine since he was a boy, only slightly older then them, when he was found stealing a bottle of milk from their kitchen steps. Xavier, compassionate as ever, took him in, added the saint part to his name and appointed him a companion for his girls. He was eight and the girls had lost their mother. In no time the two meant the world to him and he was never too far from them.

At first he would fan them in the heat and fetch their games, then as they grew older, hold their carriages open and carry their packages when they went shopping, then as they matured, kept suitors at bay and escorted them to socials. It was the only life he knew and he was so grateful to have done it, because despite the fact that he wasn't family, he knew they loved him. She really didn't have to say it. Not knowing what to do with himself, St. John looked down at the floor between them. Marie continued in a unfamiliar but determined voice.

"And because I do, I trust you. So what I'm going to tell you, I say with complete trust."

Suddenly worried, St. John moved forward in his seat.

"You can tell me anything."

Marie nodded and looked up with glistening eyes.

"I am carrying Logan's child."

The worried eyes now became wide and panicked. St. John stood up stiffly.

"What did he do to you!"

Marie stood up also and caught the fisted hand at his side. Even though she was crying softly, her voice was strong and steady.

"No St. John, he didn't do anything. I am in love with him and I'm going to marry him, one way or another."

St. John shook his head, no doubt trying to process all that information. It seemed impossible somehow. He plopped back down on the satin. Marie Elizabeth and that man. The one that was so rude, uncultured and crass. The one who called her your majesty and made fun of them. The one who……who fought mercilessly for her while everyone stood around. The one who jumped onto a sinking ship to save her. The one that undoubtedly did all he could to keep her alive on that island for weeks. The one who had more honor than he had ever seen in a man before. Thoughts of his never to be had love for Katherine resurfaced sharply. Marie was with child, and despite the situation, Katherine would be ecstatic. St. John looked up into Marie's face and spoke in an almost whisper.

"What will you do?"

Marie smiled through her tears. Of course she trusted him. It was a given.

"I'll explain to Poppa, but I must see him now. He's hurt and Remy is furious. Please help me by helping him."

St. John cleared his throat and straightened out his thoughts. He would help Marie Elizabeth. How could he not? Katherine would expect him to. He stood, straightened out his waistcoat and started pacing, Marie watched carefully for his words. She could tell he was slightly ill, probably still the seasickness, but he must have improved significantly, like Bobby said he would once he got his sea legs.

"We are only three days from Puerto Nuevo. Katherine and your Father are there waiting. Does Lebeau know?"

Marie shrugged helplessly.

"He suspects. We haven't talked yet."

St. John shook his head and continued pacing.

"Not yet Marie Elizabeth. He is not a reasonable man and he has invested too much in finding you. Please hold your silence until you reach Master Xavier."

"But he'll seek me out, I don't want to give him the impression…"

"It's okay. I'll keep him at bay somehow and tell everyone you're ill. You'll stay in here as much as possible."

"Logan. He's hurt badly."

"I haven't seen him yet, but the crew of the Esmeralda was split among the four vessels searching. He's got friends on board. We have the first mate who knows some medicine and I'll try and go see him right now."

"I must see him. He must be so worried."

"Fine, give me an hour. It's late, so almost everyone will be asleep soon. I'll tell Lebeau you've retired and come get you."

He gave Marie one last look. She surprised him yet again by giving him another hug.

"Thank you."

St. John cleared his throat and straightened out his jacket again. Silenced with emotion, he offered a tight smile and stiffly walked out the door, leaving Marie to sit down on her soft bed again and wish for time to fly by.



Logan was undergoing a look over by McCoy when the inevitable question came up. It was Bishop, the giant man was folded into a chair across from Logan's bunk.

"Are you going to kill him?"

Logan tightened his lips and glanced at the first mate. The guy didn't even flinch cutting off the bandages, and he gave him credit for being stalwart at least. He seemed a good man. He had seen him in the fights. Figured everyone knew the gossip already. Nobody gossiped quite like sailors did.

"No. She decides."

Bishop nodded solemnly and McCoy finally looked up.

"That's very noble coming from the Wolverine."

Logan huffed and looked at the opposite wall to ignore the prodding at his side.

"That was then."

McCoy continued his work. Just as the final layer of bandages was lifted off, St. John knocked and walked in.

"I wish to have counsel with you Mr. Logan."

Logan's lips tightened again. He had seen Marie greet the younger man when she came on board. He was prepared for anything the chaperone might say to him.

"Speak."

Both McCoy and Bishop grinned at the obvious intimidation factor. So maybe he wasn't completely changed. St. John cleared his throat nervously and stepped forward.

"Miss Marie Elizabeth wishes to know how you're health is doing."

McCoy raised an eyebrow and spoke before Logan got a chance.

"Real good."

He pointed at the stitches and all three men leaned forward to peer at them.

"The best damn stitches I've ever seen, and no bleeding."

He pulled some of the threads that were no longer holding flesh together and reached for the fresh bandages to his side. Logan was amazed at the gentle and skillful ways the first mate moved his enormous hands. Not as good as Marie, but definitely talented.

"Very well then. I will convey that message and will return in an hour to discuss the award Xavier will bestow on you for your part in her recovery. Good night gentlemen."

He closed the door behind him and Bishop burst into hearty laughter. Logan wrinkled his brow.

"What the hell is he talking about?"

"It seems old man Xavier has opened the purse wide on this one."

Bishop glanced at McCoy who just grinned even wider. Probably figuring his hefty cut of the profits.

"We're all getting a handsome reward and you my friend will be receiving the biggest one of all."

Logan turned Bishop's words around. Reward? The only reward he wanted was Marie. And she had yet to come see him. Sighing grimly, he lay his head back and ignored the slight pain that the first mate elicited from his side. Seeing the change, Bishop stood.

"Don't worry Logan. She sees right through him."

Tightening the last of the knots, McCoy stood and gathered his things. Logan opened his eyes only wide enough to thank them. Wondering how exactly things would turn out for the Wolverine, both men left, leaving Logan to baste in thoughts of soft skin wrapped in velvet.



Logan awoke to the sounds of a soft squeak on the floor. For a minute, he was disoriented, the gentle sway of the moving ship unfamiliar. Then he remembered the escort, he must have fallen asleep.

"Who?"

"Shhh."

Marie walked quickly over the planked flooring and came to Logan's side. His eyes immediately focused on the white in her hair with the help of the bit of moonlight that still filtered through the round port window on the adjacent wall. Her hair was pinned back and she smelled of expensive perfumes. But it was her, all her.

"Ma…"

His words were cut short when her lips pressed against his. Surprised by their urgency, Logan's hands went to either sides of her face, returning the pressure in a wave of relief. When she finally pulled back, panting and smoothing his hair, he saw the tears glitter in the dim light.

"Don't cry darling, don't cry."

He pressed her to his bandaged chest and hardly felt the pain when she stretched out over him on the narrow bed. He had been given a stateroom of his own, but it was still tiny and bare compared to the one he knew Marie would have.

"I needed to see you."

Logan smiled into the dark. He hoped she would come. He felt foolish ever thinking she wouldn't.

"It's okay baby, I'm right here."

She lifted her face and found his again.

"You don't hate me do you?"

Logan closed his eyes and shook his head. His hands went to her waist. She was covered in satin again and guilt gnawed at him.

"No darling. I could never hate you. It's, it's this whole situation. I wasn't prepared to see him step onto that beach, and, and try to take you."

Marie felt the grip on her waist tighten.

"He means nothing to me Logan. I just want to avoid trouble. Three days, maybe less, we'll be home."

Logan's eyes clouded again.

"Home?"

Marie kept brushing at his hair with her fingers. His sides were rough. She didn't get a chance to shave him.

"Yes, our home. Me, you, and Raven."

He chuckled at that and Marie smiled at the familiar feel of his rumbling chest under her.

"How's he doing?"

"In love with St. John."

He laughed a little harder and Marie but a hand to his lips.

"We must be quiet."

Logan kissed at her fingers. It was hard to believe they had fallen asleep alone on their island just hours before and were now whispering on a ship among dozens of sleeping people. But it didn't matter. They were in each other's arms and caught in the moment, they both stared at each other, faces just an inch from one another. Relieved and happy to be reunited again, a question passed through them. The answer was unanimous. In response, Marie cautiously sat up, drawing a leg beside either side of his hips. Logan's hands moved from her waist up to knead her breasts, while she started to undo the long string of buttons that secured her robe.

Finally done, she shifted a little to remove the blanket that covered him from the waist down. By the feel of him hardening under her, she already knew that he was nude. Looking back up to see if he was in pain, Marie smiled as his hands grazed over her shoulders, bringing the yellow satin away from her body. To his delight she was wearing nothing underneath, and still kneading the flesh he loved to feel so much, Logan pulled her forward to press her warm body to his.

Marie moaned slightly and kissed him again. Even though his stubble was rough against her, she savored the feel of it, amazed that it could spark so much desire in her, so quickly. Logan's hands moved to her hair. It was still moist and pulled back with combs, but he needed it loose and flowing. Yanking the ivory combs out and letting them drop to the floor, he rumbled deep in his chest as a curtain of auburn fell over her face and brushed over him. Moving slightly to position his hips under hers, he pulled from their kiss when the pain shot through his side. Marie pulled back immediately.

"Logan?"

"No darling, I'm okay."

She looked a little unsure, but the look of total unabated lust that quickly replaced the pain in his features, spurred her on. Spreading her hands over his chest, she pressed into his neck. Logan caught his breath when he felt her warm tongue move over him. Pain instantly forgotten, he moved a hand to her apex, loving how her heartbeat immediately jumped up. Feathering his rough fingers slowly over delicate skin, he brought her lips to his again and wrestled her tongue with his. Feeling her panting increase when he finally slipped two fingers into her, Logan shifted again slowly and brought a hand to clutch her hip. Gently easing up, while she carefully eased down, they joined bodies in an all out effort to show their love.

Pressing her down to his chest, to muffle her panting with one hand tangled in her hair, Logan gritted his teeth at the warm, wet heat that embraced him. Running his hands down her body again, he settled them over her hips, where he aided her rhythm. Biting her lip to keep from crying out, Marie eased in and out of him, carefully avoiding too much pressure on his bandaged torso. Gripping his arms tightly, she swayed and moved excruciatingly slow while Logan grunted slightly with each downwards thrust.

They moved carefully for a long time, holding back the inevitable in an effort to stretch out their time together, but as the first pangs of sunlight began filtering through the port window, they clutched each other desperately and together met the pleasure that waited for them. Tired and numb, Marie settled over him again and damned the world for not letting her fall asleep by him. Eventually Logan's hands picked up her face and she stared sadly into his troubled features. Still slightly out of breath, Logan's words ruffled her hair.

"Marie darling, they can't find you here. You don't need a reputation like this."

She opened her mouth to protest, but was already pulled into a fierce kiss. Matching his desperation, Marie clutched at him tightly until a light knock at the door jarred them both. Instinctively Logan's arms went to shield Marie, but the door opened and closed quickly. It was St. John and with eyes closed, he whispered into the door.

"My lady, we have to go."

Logan growled.

"Get the hell out!"

"No Logan, it's okay. St. John knows. He'll help us."

Logan turned a confused look at Marie who was already climbing off him and reaching for her robe. St. John talked into the wall, voice high in anxiety.

"The crew is already up, Marie Elizabeth you must hurry."

"I know St. John, just a minute."

Logan eased to his side and watched Marie dress with a frown.

"Marie?"

She gave her slippers a final tug and threw her hair over her shoulder. Running over to Logan's side, she gave him a final kiss and breathed into his face.

"It's better this way Logan. Please don't be upset. Two days and we'll be home."

She looked back at St. John who was fidgeting like a maniac.

"I'll send word with St. John, you can trust him implicitly."

Giving him a final lingering kiss, she ran to St. John's side.

"Marie?"

She turned, still pinning her hair back. Even though he had just breathed it into her hair and against her neck dozens of times, he wanted to tell her he loved her. But he didn't want an audience either.

"First thing."

Marie blushed slightly in understanding. She gave him a warm smile.

"First thing."

St. John wondered briefly what that meant before peeling back the door and taking a cautious look around. Marie was still gushing at Logan so he pulled her out by the hand and made a dash to her room.



Lebeau closed the door of his stateroom quietly. There were worse rooms to have put the savage in, but he had wanted him to be close. And he had been right. She had sneaked in hours ago and seeing her leave with half her buttons done wrong and her hair all askew just a minute ago, Lebeau's suspicions were all confirmed. She had betrayed him. Only his plan had to include her accomplice as well. St. John was in on it, like he knew he would. He would barely allow him to touch her hand for months in England and now here he was, taking her to and from her lover. Quite the drastic change. He had to pay also. In time, they would all pay.
Chapter 14 by Dark Ferrett
XIV. Rubies and Poison

Marie sat in her room the entire day under the pretense of not feeling well. The room was beautifully appointed and perfectly suited for a lady's needs, and although Kitty had lovingly included anything she might need in the chests, it was entirely not where she wanted to be. Having dragged the Jean trunk up to the port window, she curled up on it's salty smelling leather and leaned her head against the glass. Between the ocean and the sky, there was nothing but blue, but it was wholly more comforting than staring at four walls. Raven seemed to think so too. Having requested seeds for her parrot, she idly sat and fed him all day long while tugging at the itchy sleeves of her dress.

In her hand was Logan's hair tie. A little scrap of suede that still smelled of him and the geranium she would rinse his hair in. Bringing it up to her nose in remembrance, she closed her eyes and imagined his long sleek black hair in her fingers. Smiling at the memory of the last two nights, she sighed heavily again. He was making a remarkable progress, but he was still a little weak and antsy as hell. Under McCoy's orders he was declared bedbound but Marie knew it was St. John that had arranged it with the first mate so that Logan was tucked out of sight. It angered him of course, but Logan agreed it was best and they spent the nights together at least. A knock at the door interrupted her thoughts.

"Come in."

It was Lebeau and instantly placing her bare feet on the floor, Marie turned to look at him. For almost two days she had avoided talking to him and with only one more night before arriving at Puerto Nuevo, she had hoped the discussion could be averted. Unfortunately, St. John had gone to get her dinner and she was all alone. He had obviously timed his visit to coincide the other man's absence. He had come to see her under St. John's careful eye at least once a day, but the lingering suspicion that he was somehow up to something reentered her mind.

"My chere, how are you feeling?"

Marie cringed at the endearment and forced a smile.

"A little better. I'm seasick."

Lebeau walked over slowly and sat on the other end of the trunk. Raven protested and flapped loudly. The man stood back a little from the fluttering parrot.

"Your bird doesn't approve of me."

Marie discretely tucked the suede strip into her waist and tried to calm Raven a little. She looked at the door and noticed it was closed. Not the best of situations.

"You're imagining things Monsieur. He does no such thing."

Lebeau looked over at the changes in Marie's features. She was slightly darker, but still breathtaking. A beautiful bride indeed. Noticing she didn't have gloves on, he took one of her hands.

"I fear you may not approve of me either…anymore."

Marie blanched at the contact. The hypnotic eyes that once fascinated her so much were now strangely darker, but still playful.

"I know not what you mean Monsieur."

He brought the hand up to his lips and Marie tightened her jaw. She snatched her hand back hastily.

"That is rather inappropriate sir."

Lebeau smirked at the irony. Still so very prim and proper with him. He wondered what she let the savage do to her.

"Like I said, Remy no longer pleases you."

Marie looked down at her hands. She knew she shouldn't have felt guilty, but she did. She still hadn't broken off the engagement and it was unfair to still have Remy believe she would marry him. But she had promised St. John to wait until they reached her father. She wasn't sure what made him think so little of Lebeau, but she trusted her friend's judgment and wanted nothing to happen to Logan.

"Monsieur, I don't truly feel well. This has all been so eventful…"

He reached for her hand again more forcefully and Marie silenced instantly. She watched in awe as he brought something out of his coat pocket and pressed it into her palm.

"I, I..."

"Say nothing mon ami, this is just a promise. Like the one I made before. I know you are confused and that dis entire experience has been daunting, but don't forget what awaits us. I regret not coming with you, but alas, we could never understand the fates. I have spoken to your father and he knew you were alive. Says he felt it in his soul. That's why I have searched so long. He wants us married as soon as possible, that nothing would make him happier."

Marie stared mutely as he picked the ring from her palm and carefully slid it onto her finger. Tightening the grasp on her hand, he continued in his most solemn voice.

"That is what I want Marie Elizabeth. To make you and him happy. Like the family you once dreamed we would be."

Marie reluctantly let him bring her hand up to his lips. Feeling a pull in her stomach, she swallowed and tried to think of what to say. She had to end it now. Blinking back some tears, she opened her mouth to explain, but St. John knocked before she got a chance. Lebeau let her hand go and stood.

"I managed to find more seeds for……"

St. John eyed the taller man suspiciously, but the nobleman was already on his feet. He walked stiffly to the door before turning.

"Think about it Marie Elizabeth and I will join you tomorrow for a most glorious homecoming."

With that he left and St. John stared at the door a moment before setting down a tray. Raven immediately flapped over to his shoulder, but seeing Marie look out the window sadly, he ignored the flutter and absentmindedly feed him some seeds from his pocket.

"What happened? What did he say to you?"

Unable to respond, Marie lifted her hand. St. John's eyes widened at the fiery glow of an enormous ruby. Taking a good long look at it, Marie surprised him by wrenching it off and flinging it across the room. It bounced brightly off a dresser and skidded across the floor. St. John sat in the spot Lebeau had just vacated and looked at it twinkling brightly from under the bed for a long time.

"What will you do?"

Marie fiddled with the suede strap in her fingers and leaned her head back up against the glass. The sun was setting, turning the water a multitude of colors. It was her favorite part of the day. Her voice was as muted as the colors in the sky.

"There's only one thing I could do."

Letting out a deep sigh, St. John acknowledged as much and brought over the food. Marie scrunched her nose immediately.

"I'm not hungry."

"You haven't even seen it."

Marie shrugged. She didn't have to. It wasn't the lemony seafood or the juicy fruits she had grown so accustomed to.

"I'm not hungry."

"Marie please, you are eating for two."

Marie snapped her gaze up. A flash of sorrow crossed her eyes. And then guilt. Moving slowly she walked over to the tray on her table. Knowing that she didn't like him uncovering or fussing with her food anymore, St. John walked out in silence to let her eat in peace. At Marie's request, he had taken to walking Raven up on deck at least once a day. He felt utterly ridiculous with the colorful animal cawing on his shoulder, but confinement wasn't good for anyone, especially those already used to sleeping practically under the sky.

For the past two days, he and Marie had talked a lot about her time on the island and he truly understood how hard it must have been for both her and Logan to not only be apart, but kept from the free going existence they were now so used to. Thinking over all the ironies and nuances of the situation, St. John returned to her quarters a few hours later. She was curled on her bed fully dressed, and placing Raven up on his rack, St. John shook her awake. She would normally have been gone already. Marie startled and looked at the clock by her vanity.

"I fell asleep."

St. John moved to light some candle lanterns and noticed that the ruby ring was on the nightstand now.

"Go. Everyone's asleep."

Marie wiped at the wet residue on her cheeks silently and still having the suede strap in her fingers, slipped it back under her pillow next to cold steel and placed a hand on her friend's shoulder before leaving. When she reached Logan's room down the hallway and to her left, she slipped in quickly and was startled to see him on his feet. He had healed remarkably fast, astonishing even, and the bandages were now reduced to just a small square on his side and on his calf. He was staring out the small port window with a hand at his side. His voice was a whisper.

"You're late."

He turned his head, just as surprised to see her in a big, deep green dress as she was to see him out of bed.

"I feel asleep."

She stepped forward and embraced him from behind. He looked back out over the water, his body stiff with tension. He hadn't thought she'd come.

"What's wrong?"

The hand on the edge of the window, gripped the metal frame a little tighter. The satin skirts brushing against him felt heavenly, but the jealousy crimping his heart ached.

"McCoy told me Lebeau showed him a ring this morning. Said it was to replace the one you lost. You didn't tell me he came to see you everyday."

Marie stepped back a little. She could only stare at the scar that crossed his dark, heavily contoured back. Creed, she remembered faintly. Three years back, in a sword fight, he had told her.

"Yes, he gave it to me, and yes he comes to see me, but it means nothing."

Logan whirled around so fast, she knew it must have hurt. His posture spoke of anger, but his eyes spoke of defeat. Slightly angry herself, she raised her gloveless hands between them and turned them slowly. Nothing there.

"When will you understand, that I only love you?"

Logan caught her hands in his.

"You deserve better."

"Remy is not better for me than you."

"I have nothing Marie! I can give you nothing!"

Marie cringed at the harshness in his words.

"Only my heart. Only my child."

Logan flinched. They stared at each other for a minute in front of the small round window. Hands still in his, Marie wrenched them away and brought them over his heart.

"That's all that matters."

She spread her hands slowly over the indent where his muscles met in the center. A small scar sat there, witness to the brutal boar attack. Closing her eyes, she leaned forward and placed her ear over it. She knew the rhythm by memory. Sure and strong. And it quickened ever so slightly.

Logan closed his eyes and regretted the feel of tears on his skin. He pulled her back and wiped them away with his thumbs. She kept her eyes closed and hypnotized by the slightly quivering and parted lips, the streaks curled neatly around her face and the hands still braced against his body, Logan understood. She trusted him. She loved him. And she was his. He didn't have a real way to say it, but the knowledge coursed through his blood hotly.

His hands migrated to her face, her neck, the back of her head, back to her face again. They moved as if memorizing and Marie closed her eyes and basked in the feel of them as her own heart rate increased. Then the hands moved down to her collar. Logan stepped forward, bringing Marie flush against the wall and breathing into her neck. He was tired of doubt and guilt. He would have them no longer.

"You're mine."

Fierce possessiveness flooding him, he gripped the edge of the modest collar and yanked it apart. Marie gasped and the green satin and white lace tore easily under the brutal strength. Swayed with the effort, Marie splayed her hands up against the wall behind her for support.

"Yes."

Her voice was so low, Logan wouldn't have heard it if his lips weren't pressed to her throat. His hands moved down to her now heaving chest. The dress was certainly modest, but not what was underneath. Licking and kissing along the top of the corset that pinned her breasts in place, Logan slipped his hands to her back and pulled her to meet his body. Marie arched and braced her hands against his shoulders. Tempted to scream when he bit the swell of her left breast, Marie dug her nails into the tight muscles that bridged the span between his shoulders and neck instead.

Moving back with a groan from the marks that she left on him, Logan pushed her body back into the wall. Looking to finish the job completely, he gripped the split fabric and continued to tear it down the front, bringing it past her shoulders and down her arms. It dropped dejectedly to the ground in a bundle around her feet. Looking at Marie's half-lidded eyes for a moment, he twirled her around. Pressed against the wall, Marie gasped again when his hands ripped open the waist of the two frilly petticoats she was wearing. They too fell to the ground.

Turned suddenly again, she braced for more, but what she felt was him kneel in front of her with a slight grunt of pain. The next jerk was her underwear. The lace ripped easily enough, and now wearing only a long corset and her stockings, Marie looked down just as Logan brought one of her legs over his shoulder and plunged into her sex. Not able to suppress her shudder, Marie moaned and held onto his head as it bobbed over her. His tongue swept her completely, making her drip in anticipation only minutes later.

Tightening the grip he had on the thigh by his face and opening the hand right under her breasts that held her in place, Logan fluttered his tongue over her swollen bundle and braced for her release. He felt it coming and when it did, she threw her head back against the wall and Logan reached up to clasp a hand over her mouth as she moaned and writhed in agonizing heat. Knowing he was seconds away himself if he didn't hold back, Logan brought his face to press against the white corset at her stomach until her shivering ceased and she slumped down the wall into a heap on her torn clothes.

Knowing that he had to have her completely or die right there and then, Logan raised himself off his knees, bringing Marie up with him. She clutched at his neck and rested her lips by his Adam's apple, still feeling waves of pleasure. Feeling her warm panting by the sensitive flesh, Logan ignored the stab of pain at his side from their combined weight and moved from the tangle of the torn dress to the narrow bed.

Letting her slide down his body, Logan stood at the bed's edge and parted his legs slightly for better balance. Marie moved forward on the edge of the thin mattress, still flushed and a little uncoordinated from her orgasm and pulled the drawstring to his trousers. Parting it with shaky hands, she brought the material down over his hips and giving him a tortuous look, took his erection in.

Watching her lips cover him, Logan squeezed his eyes and threw his head back much like she had done just moments ago. Marie dragged her hands and lips over the length lovingly, knowing by the shaky hand hovering over her neck and the feel of his abdominal muscles tightening under her palm that he was so close. True enough, he stepped back soon afterwards with her name still raggedly escaping his lips.

Dragging herself up the bed with a flushed look, Marie opened her legs as Logan quickly followed her on. He trailed kisses where her stockings ended and her skin began at her mid thigh, before positioning himself between them. Taking the now completely tussled hair in his hands, Logan pushed down hungrily onto her lips. They hadn't kissed until then and letting their tastes intermingle, Logan plunged into her waiting heat, the legs intertwined behind him help guiding him along.

Marie grasped his sides carefully and matching his every thrust, moved against Logan fluidly. They didn't pause or even slow down until it was over. Panting, and moaning and whispering each other's names, they came apart in a quick, but wholly and completely satisfying moment. Pumping the last of himself into her, Logan looked down at the wide eyes drinking in his every reaction.

Steadying his breath, he kissed her tenderly before easing out. Settling next to her, he brought her head over his shoulder, how they always slept when they were together. Still recovering from his exhaustive climax, Logan brushed Marie's tangled curls over to her back. They stood like that for a while, then faintly wondering if he had been too rough, he placed a hand over her laced up stomach. She answered his question before he had a chance to ask.

"I'm okay."

Logan stilled his hand and closed his eyes. Memories of countless times by the waterfalls and on the beach crossed his mind.

"I wish we could have had one last time there."

Marie smiled hazily. Logan felt the twitch against his skin without seeing it.

"I know."

The silence grew. Each tired, but thinking. Tomorrow brought the promise of no longer having to hide, and the anxiety, boredom and uselessness that they both felt all day eased out completely, leaving them only with dreams of warm sand, swaying trees and a child whose face they could already make out. He was still rubbing her corseted stomach lightly when they fell asleep.

"Maybe we can take him there someday."

"That's a fine idea, Marie."

Giving her a final kiss on the head which surprisingly carried the same possessiveness that the furious sex they had just had displayed, Logan closed his eyes and felt Marie's heartbeat slow down to match his. They had learned quickly that first night on the Santa Anna that they could no longer sleep alone.



Marie awoke when Logan's shoulder twitched. The room was particularly bright, flooding the room in light that matched their disposition.

"Marie baby, you have to get up."

She turned carefully to avoid touching his side, burying her face into his neck with a lazy smile. Logan moved his hands to the edge of her corset, where it widened over her hips. Tracing the line from her hip to the ridiculously narrow waist, he grumbled deep in his chest knowing full well that if she didn't leave in a few minutes, he wouldn't let her go until sometime that afternoon. Her playful voice didn't help any.

"I want to stay here with you."

The grumbling deepened a little as his hands kept exploring the satin belts and threaded laces that held the contraption together.

"You have to go darling. Home remember?"

Marie opened her eyes and looked up with a grin. Not able to resist the temptation, she climbed over Logan, who moaned in protest, and clambered over to the window. Logan followed a little slower and wrapped his sheet around the two of them. He could feel her practically buzzing in excitement and held her tight.

Not that far in the distance was a strip of an island. Puerto Nuevo was a docking settlement off of the mainland where ships going to or from the New World paused for supplies and restocking before taking on the three week voyage across the Atlantic. Marie stared at the land in wonder.

"I never thought I'd finish my voyage Logan."

"Especially with a barbarian."

He dove into her neck and she elbowed him on his safe side and smirked.

"So I wasn't expecting exactly that, but I'm glad for it."

Logan moved his arms to cross over her middle with a smile. The urge was definitely there, but he didn't want to spoil her first glimpse at what she had only heard stories about. He settled his chin on her shoulder and pointed to a speck to the north.

"That's the actual port. The ship is swaying a lot now, so if this wind keeps strong, we should be there in about two hours. The mainland is still two days further west."

Marie squinted at what was still just a little dot in the green expanse. Logan continued his explanations.

"Your father owns most of it, but he leases out to shopkeepers and merchants. When it was first settled about fifteen years ago, it was a wreck. Too many Spanish ships carrying silver and gold, which meant too many pirates. Then he expanded, built a whole town that could support itself on trade. Brought in the law. Families live their now, and almost every ship stops here. Despite the occasional bout with pirates or a hurricane, it's thriving."

Marie looked at the scene with moistening eyes. She had grown up there. It was there that they were first a family. Kitty barely remembered, but she certainly did. They would spend all day in the gardens with her mother. She was an earthy spirit that loved everything that grew. Marie had long forgotten that love, if anything, being on the island brought it all back. She had inherited her mother's love of nature and she trapped in a world of socials and tea parties had never really known it.

Her father had sent her and Kitty to London soon after their mother died and despite his frequent visits, she always resented him for it. He said it was for safety. That he could never risk their lives with pirates still frequenting the waters like he had with Ororo, but Marie never understood why he had stayed. Until now.

"He's done so much."

"Yes, currently expending the wharves about a mile down. It's free land. Slaves, Natives, anybody can work it and eventually own it. Plantations are springing up in the interior of the island for sugar and……"

He felt a tear land on the arm he had across her chest.

"Marie?"

She smiled weakly at Logan's concern and traced a finger over the tiny spot in the window where her father was waiting.

"All these years and I never understood why he stayed here. Said it was his dream. He wanted a place in the New World to change things and start over. A place where everyone could live together. It was what my mother wanted. She died for that dream and he never gave up, even when the crown refused his land grants for marrying her, he fought. I understand why now. I was so selfish."

Logan turned her to face him and tightened his embrace inside the sheet. The sky was now a perfect orange and again the streaks framing her face just took his breath away. He let her cry a little on his shoulder.

"Marie, you didn't know. It probably was for the best, but it doesn't matter now."

She sniffed against his shoulder and looked over the water to the green in the distance again. She was going home. It instantly made her feel better.

"You're right Logan. It doesn't matter now. We'll all be together."

Marie watched the far off land a little longer, feeling along the indent of Logan's back. He practically purred in response and she looked up to see a look on his face that she loved, but there was certainly not enough time. She had already stayed longer than it was wise.

"I have to go, before St. John barges in here."

Logan nodded and planted a soft kiss by her temple.

"You should."

He smiled at her hesitation. She wanted to as much as he did, but better judgment prevailed and she disentangled from him, only to look back with a flustered gaze when she remembered.

"My clothes."

Logan looked at the pile of ripped green and white fabric by the wall with a smirk.

"I got a little carried away."

Marie reddened slightly and yanked at the sheet they were wrapped in. Logan quirked an eyebrow and ignoring how nice her chest looked practically busting out of her corset, wrapped her in it. Stepping over to the bed, he sat and pulled on his trousers. Marie watched him move with a growing smile. He looked up and caught it.

"Just a few more hours Marie. First thing."

She walked to the door and opened it slightly, looking quickly in either direction.

"First thing."



Deliriously happy, Marie padded down the hall back to her room without any incident. Locking her door and running to Raven for a furious pet that threatened to unanchor some of his feathers, she slipped on her robe and went to one of the chests to pick out the most stunning dress. Thinking about Logan's hands and her father and Kitty's look of surprise, she settled on a simple light blue one and a matching handkerchief that Raven could wear around his neck. Pouring water from her pitcher to the basin, she began to unlace her undergarments to clean and change before St. John came back with breakfast.

Down the hall, Logan was staring out to the port in the distance, still smelling Marie on him, still wondering what direction his life would take, when a knock came to the door. It was the cabin boy with breakfast. Still not used to being catered to, Logan thanked him tightly and took a look at what it was. Not mango, that was for sure. But he was thirsty. Forgoing the staple gruel like substance and the plain bread, Logan went straight for the ale.

It might have seemed odd for most people, but a stein of ale greeted every sailor at every meal. Cringing at the bitterness, so unlike the amber rum he had grown to like, Logan settled it on the rim of the window and continued his contemplation. Basking in that knowledge that it would be his last few hours in the unbearable confinement of the damned room, he drained the rest excitedly and settled on his bed to pull on his heavy black boots.

Still working on the last one, he was genuinely shocked when the door opened and his most hated rival sauntered in. Immediately knowing the look he carried, Logan moved his hand to his back, but the weapon that never rested far from him, was no longer there.

"What the hell do you want?"

Lebeau smiled his most charming smile and walked over to where the stein rested on the window.

"I think we have been long overdue for a conversation, you filthy savage."

Logan stood quickly with fists tight, but his head spun inexplicably and he staggered back down. He felt drunk but it was impossible since he had had only one drink. Looking back over at Lebeau as his vision started to fuzz, Logan gritted his teeth in understanding.

"What the fuck did you slip me?"

Lebeau smirked and flexed his gloved hands.

"Must you always be so crude? I came here to speak man to man, if that's possible."

Logan swayed to his feet, but he was too discoordinated to move properly. With a thump, he fell to his knees. His speech was slurred as he fought a tingle in his muscles.

"Fight me…like…a man"

"I'm afraid I can not compare to your brutality, but rest assure, you will be dead soon. I simply prefer not to get my hands dirty with filth such as yourself."

Lebeau calmly walked over to the heap of green still by the wall. Kneeling down, he slowly twisted the flayed garments in his hand. His jaw twitched in anger, but he calmly brought the torn bodice to his nose. Taking in the scent of Marie's perfume, he looked over again at Logan, who was trying hard to crawl back to his feet.

"You've taken what is mine, savage. Taken my sweet shy girl and reduced her to a common whore."

Logan lunged at him at the word, but fell short a few feet. Sweat breaking out all over his body, he turned on his back on the floor and tried to still the spinning in his head with his hands on either side of his temples. The urge to gut the man multiplied in him, bringing his blood to a boil, but he could barely move and felt numb all over. He fought to keep his heavy eyes open.

Seeing he was almost unconscious, Lebeau dropped the satin he was holding and moved to stand over him. Wanting him to hear everything he had to say, he ground his tall leather boots into the bandage still at his side. Logan's eyes flung open and he growled and twisted in pain. He tried to grab at the foot digging into him, but his arms were tingling and no longer obeyed his command. With sharp pants, he felt Lebeau remove his foot and lean down over him.

"But it won't matter because she will be mine. I promise you. She'll wear my ring and do as I please until I tire of her. Wrapped in the finest silks, I'll make her beg for me. Make her forget that she ever rutted with a savage like you."

Logan snarled at him, just as a complete numbness swept over him. He tried to fight it, but the poison was strong. Lebeau's last words echoed distantly in his ears as he succumbed to the darkness.
Chapter 15 by Dark Ferrett
XV. Landfall and Sorrow

Marie cautiously smoothed over Raven's feathers while adjusting his pale blue neckerchief. Deciding that it was most flattering draped over his chest feathers in a V, she secured it in the back while he happily ran through his three word vocabulary. She was trying to teach him to say Kitty, but he was just not cooperating, choosing to call her name instead. Suddenly remembering the most important addition to her outfit, Marie ran to fetch her chain from under her pillow. Slipping it on while she repeated the word Kitty over and over, she clasped the cross tightly and smiled. She was going home. The knocking at the door jarred her from her thoughts.

"Come in."

St. John's radiant expression immediately died at seeing the chaos her stateroom was in.

"Mare Elizabeth, they'll be here for your things in a matter of minutes."

Marie fluttered excitedly to her chest of shoes, before remembering she had something better.

"I was just trying on some things."

Running to the Jean trunk, she dug around for the slippers Logan had made her. They were a little worn and rough around the edges, but she had washed them and they were her favorites nevertheless. No matter how pretty, none of the others were made special to her fit. Behind her, St. John was already tossing things haphazardly into any chest they would fit in. The task was made harder with Raven fluttering on his shoulder and cawing out `Ma-ree'. It took him a minute to realize Raven was accessorized. He sniffed at it cautiously.

"Marie Elizabeth, what is this animal wearing? And is that perfume on him?"

Marie ignored him and rooted around the rum trunk for a sprig of lavender. Finding some, she tied Logan's suede strap to it in a bow. Giving it a good whiff, she tucked both items into the high waist of her dress.

"St. John, how much longer will it be?"

He managed to placate Raven with a few seeds on the dresser and resumed the hasty packing.

"Half an hour perhaps, the first mate just signaled the harbormaster."

Marie stopped moving long enough to tie the long strings to her slippers on. In a fit of rebellion, she had abandoned her stockings and only worn one slip under her dress. They were in the tropics after all.

"Did you give Logan the clothes I asked you to?"

St. John blanched a little and straightened out.

"I completely forgot."

"He must look his best to meet poppa."

St. John quirked an eyebrow.

"I'll go right away."

With that he left and Marie resumed her leisurely packing and parrot tutoring.



St. John knocked on the door patiently. Under his arm was a bundle of his clothes that he figured would fit the bigger man. In his other hand was a basin with shaving suds and a blade. Finding it odd that the normally impatient Logan hadn't flung open the door already, he went to knock again, but a voice stopped him. It didn't sound like Logan, but the younger man assumed it was one of his friends and walked in.

The first thing his eyes caught was a bundle of bright green on the floor that stood out sharply in the drab colored room. Unfortunately he didn't even have time to turn and move his gaze from the dress to where Logan was stretched out on the floor. In a split second after he stepped inside, St. John was felled by a sharp blow to the back of the head. Falling in a heap to the floor, he distinctly heard the crack of the ceramic basin he had been holding when it hit the floor next to him. Unconscious almost instantly, he barely got a glimpse of Logan's outstretched body not a yard from him and a dirty pair of brown boots step into his line of vision before the world went black.



Marie was at her vanity, sorting through a small box for which earrings to wear, when the door opened behind her. Thinking it was St. John, she immediately began chattering.

"So tell me, does he look as handsome as I imagine?"

Lebeau `mmm-hmmed' and locked the door behind himself. Raven started cawing loudly in the corner at his presence and he felt tempted to put a bullet through it, but Marie was too wrapped up in what she was doing to notice the ruckus. He leaned against the door and watched her hands flutter around her curled hair. A beautiful bride indeed. His eyes fell to the red glint of the ruby ring that rested on the night table and his fists tightened.

"I am so excited, I have missed Kitty so much, I know the poor dear has suffered but it'll be just wond……"

Her radiant smile faded as she looked up into the mirror at the figure standing by the door. Her hands dropped and she whirled around in her seat. The look on his face made her instantly ill.

"Wh-where's St. John?"

Lebeau smirked even wider. Always carrying on about her pet. Maybe there was something there too, but then he remembered Katherine. The pet was completely smitten by the younger Xavier. It would work to his advantage either way.

"Greetings, I am well thank you. Perhaps you have been in the company of commoners too long."

Marie flinched at the intended insult. Her gaze flickered over to Raven, who was cawing madly on his perch. She hated feeling afraid. It was weak. She cleared her throat and spoke out.

"What do wish Monsieur? I have no time for games, my family awaits."

Lebeau's features hardened, but his smile remained as charming as ever.

"Yes, Master Xavier awaits."

He finally moved, taking slow deliberate steps towards her with each word. Marie's grip on her hairbrush tightened.

"But I wonder who it is you're planning to bring home to him."

Marie's eyes glistened in anger. This was not how she wanted it. And where was St. John?

"I did not plan for things to turn out this way Monsieur, but I think we both know this is over. I'm very grateful for the time you have invested in trying to……"

"Shut-up!!!"

Marie jumped back at the wholly unfamiliar sound of him screaming. She had never seen him loose control. Never seen him this intimidating. All traces of his handsomeness vanished instantly with his scowl. The wooden edge of the vanity dug a line across her back and all she could do is stare at the man she realized she knew almost nothing about. To her growing repulsion, he leaned in real close and placed one hand on either side of her arms on the table behind her.

"You seem to have forgotten some rules Marie Elizabeth. A lady knows how to keep silent when a gentleman speaks."

Marie swallowed hard and tried to instill the confidence she didn't feel into her voice.

"I will never marry you and I suggest you leave before I scream. My father will hear of this impropriety."

His face stood perfectly still for a moment before he burst into laughter. To Marie's relief, he removed his arms and straightened out, but he was still too close.

"How very prim of you my dear. Is that what you tell the savage every night when you sneak into his quarters?"

Marie's eyes widened in cold shock. He knew. The thought made her dizzy. If he knew, why would he still pursue her? Why would he still…… unless he was after something else. Suddenly panicked, Marie stood to her feet. The look he carried said it all. It was cold hatred -revenge.

"What have you done?"

Lebeau grabbed her upper arm and wrenched her towards him, Marie whimpered at the hard leather clad fingers digging into her. His face was inches from hers. Terror filled her at seeing his eyes roam down her body. His intent became clear.

"You'll find out soon enough."

He swooped down to kiss her. Marie gasped and struggled to get loose and scream, but his free hand immediately went to pull the back of her head to him. Feeling the tears escape her when she felt his tongue snake out to pry her mouth open, Marie wrenched as much of her arm as she could from his grasp and brought the silver hairbrush she had in her hands over his head. Lebeau staggered back from the blow, eyes filled with hurt and rage.

"Bitch!"

Blinded by tears, Marie turned to run to the door, but Lebeau moved quick and grabbed her from behind with a hand over her mouth and one across her waist. Slamming her face down on the bed, he smashed her hand over the footboard until she let go of the brush and pressed her down with his body. He whispered callously into her ear.

"Don't worry Marie Elizabeth. Just enjoy yourself."

Marie moaned into the covers. She couldn't believe what was happening. Her tears flowing hard now, she struggled futily against Lebeau's imposing weight and the fact that she could barely breathe against the mattress. He was having a hard time, but she could feel him struggling to get his pants opened. Panic gripping her, and knowing that she could never fight him off, Marie stilled and quit struggling. Lebeau took a minute to consider her. With a half grin, he flipped her over, still holding her hands tight above her head. Her lungs were aching and she took deep gulps of air in between sobs.

"Just…don't…hurt me."

A smile spread across his face and Lebeau shifted to spread her legs. She didn't offer any resistance.

"That's more like it."

He came down on her neck and Marie squeezed her eyes to fight the nauseousness enveloping her. He was soon lost in his task, and easing her hand out of his loosening grasp, Marie raised her hand without him noticing. Raven immediately stopped his agitated cawing and swooped down to Lebeau's neck where her hand was. Lebeau immediately cried out and jumped back at the feel of the Raven's sharp nails digging into him. The parrot fluttered his wide wings furiously, somehow escaping his grasp. Marie wasted no time in taking the opportunity and reaching under her pillow for what rested there. Kicking him in the balls when he grabbed for her again, Marie pulled back on the bed and watched Lebeau's eyes tighten in agony.

"Raven!"

Raven fluttered back to his perch silently. Lebeau looked up with a grimace and realized just how fast the situation had changed. Marie had a foot long, slightly curved blade in her hand and he immediately recognized it as the same one the savage had taken out on him that day on the wharf. He looked up to her face. She was red and still crying, but her green eyes were as cold as her voice.

"Get up slowly."

Lebeau complied, still clutching the dull ache in his groin.

"Where is he?"

"He's dead already."

Marie whimpered. Her free hand moved to clutch her stomach. Lebeau stepped forward, but the knife was expertly brought back up again. It glinted in the sunlight bathing the room and Marie figured he was lying. She needed to see. Needed to know. She repeated her words a little lower, not believing what he had said.

"Where is he?"

Lebeau's eyebrows went up a little. He could overpower her, but the way she gripped the knife and eased off the bed on the other side, and slowly walked around the bed towards the door made him think twice. She could hurt him and Lebeau would never really risk that. But he could still hurt her. It was easy actually. His smile grew.

"He's in the ocean. Since you left him this morning. Dead."

Marie slapped a hand over her mouth. The tears burned down her cheeks again.

"No!! You're lying!!"

Not able to stand in the same room any longer, Marie turned and flung the door open. She felt Lebeau move behind her, but she was too disoriented to think. She ran down the hall blindly, down and to the left, unconsciously running to his room. Halfway there she stumbled as the entire ship heaved to one side when the anchor was dropped into the Puerto Nuevo docking bay. They had arrived, but Marie was too distraught to care.

Turning the corner, she ran right into a short, scruffy looking sailor she faintly recognized. Bouncing off him and landing on her behind on the floor, she let the knife fall from her hand and struggled to get up and charge past him again. But the man in the faded brown boots inexplicably held her. Lebeau turned the corner at that particular moment, still limping, when the other man slammed Marie against a corridor wall and withdrew a revolver.

Marie stilled instantly, hypnotized not by the gun pointed to her chest, but the fragments of a basin that she could see littered Logan's room floor. There was a stain seeping the dark wood planking. It was true. Not able to cry anymore, she slumped down to the floor, barely hearing the two men argue heatedly in whispered tones about the time.

Seconds later, she felt herself get picked up and ushered back to her room. The door had remained opened, so Raven was gone. But Marie didn't notice that or anything else. She sat stiffly on the bed she had almost been raped on and barely flinched as a light cloak was thrown over her and her face roughly wiped with a towel. The men were arguing and Lebeau straightened his appearance as best he could before grabbing Marie by the shoulders and walking her quickly up on deck.

Marie gasped faintly at the feel of the salty warm breeze. It seemed like she had been hidden away for an eternity. She could faintly hear seagulls busily screeching at each other for bits of food. She failed to see them or the one among them that was wearing a neckerchief and brightly colored, faithfully following his role of guardparrot. All around her, the crew was unloading and carrying things away. Lebeau stopped only once and gripped her tight by his side while he spoke to someone briefly. Still numb with shock, Marie walked blindly as he led her to an awaiting carriage.

Once inside the darkness of it, Marie closed her eyes again and cuddled into a fetal position on the booth. Lebeau climbed in, still limping and cursing opposite her. Giving her a disdainful look and then checking his pocket watch, he cursed again and hastily withdrew something from his pocket. Marie faintly felt a ring shoved onto her trembling fingers.

Eyes blank and glassy, Marie let everything slowly fade from her awareness. The only thing she could feel was strong hands in her hair, all she could see was warm hazel eyes, all she could taste was the salt of his skin, all she could smell was the lavender in his hair, all she could hear was his last words, `first thing'. Still not able to cry, Marie succumbed to hopeless sorrow.



The first mate rubbed his scruffy stubble and watched the carriage roll away from up on the railing. Everything in him told him something was wrong. He wasn't sure what were their plans, but he would have bet silver that the girl wasn't going to be carting off with the French bastard. Perhaps he was wrong and his remarkably healing patient was tossed to the side, for the bigger, better deal, but it still didn't seem right. Especially with her looking so out of it and not so much as saying a word. The French bastard practically ran her off the ship and even he knew that wasn't right without her escort, which was always by her side and which he had yet to see in all the commotion of unloading.

McCoy sighed heavily and started barking orders at the crew to move faster. The accountant would be there soon. They responded with smiles and kept moving, no doubt deciding which tavern they would spend their bonus on. He himself had a multitude of things to do and knew exactly what girl he would be splurging on, but knowing that it would itch in his brain until he knew for certain, he shuffled over to the stairs and descended below deck in search of answers.

First stopping at St. John's room, he was surprised to find it empty. Moving to the girl's stateroom next he was even more shocked to see it was unlocked and everything still looked unpacked. Knowing for certain something was wrong, he clenched his teeth and turned to see Bishop running down the hall. The enormous man was as angry as he had ever seen him.

"What the hell is going on?"

The taller man sheathed a second knife into his side and barely regarded the first mate.

"The bastard got to him."

McCoy fell into step with him.

"That bastard got the Wolverine?"

Bishop raised an eyebrow. He had a tattoo crossing down the side of his face from his travels to the South Pacific, and it was twitching angrily. He held up a stein that had been dangling from his fingers.

"Poison. It was in the ale."

McCoy stopped to catch it and looked at the white powder residue that coated the bottom. It was what he used to numb people in operations when liquor wouldn't suffice. He looked up and dumbly watched Bishop walking away. Then he ran up to catch up.

"Someone must have helped him. There was no way he could have known where to get this otherwise. And he just pulled away with the girl."

The thought that one of his crew could betray him gave McCoy reason to think. Bishop pushed past the door that led to the upper deck. McCoy and him stopped at the same time as it occurred to them that the only person that it could have been was the one they called Toad.

"He came on as a shiphand at the same time as the bastard."

Bishop shook his head in amazement. He splayed his hand on his shiny bald head.

"I knew I recognized him. Son of a whore was part of Creed's crew back when the girl was on the Esmeralda."

Huffing in disbelief at the intricacy of the entire thing, McCoy ran over to where he kept his revolvers in the helm. He looked up from the plank he removed from the floor.

"Gone."

Bishop looked over at the row of six ships docked alongside the Santa Anna.

"He could be anywhere. There's no way to tell where."

At the same time, they sighed and said `Summers.'

He would be the only one that could help. Knowing they had no choice, Bishop and McCoy took a minute to plan before jumping into action. Logan and St. John might be alive if not for long, and the girl was in danger, that much they knew. The rest they would need help with.

Bishop gathered his saber and ran off to find the only other person who he knew would lay his life on the life for Logan. Of the five ships Xavier dispatched to search for the girl, Cable had taken off on the Esperanza. Seeing it docked two ships down almost ready to leave again, the giant African went straight to the tavern he knew his former skipper would be at, hoping he would find him and hoping they still had time.

McCoy took a different route. Stopping only to sign the manifest that the accountant at the very bottom of the wharf had ready, McCoy ran the shortest route he could through the streets of downtown Puerto Nuevo straight to the man he never thought he would ever ask help from, confident that Xavier's accountant's never cheated his men out of their rightful pay.

Summers was the designated law around the island, appointed by Xavier himself. As the youngest ex-admiral in her majesty's navy, he had been a huge pain in the ass to guys like him who occasionally trafficked stolen goods, but the man was honest. As honest and idealistic as they came, and that gave McCoy hope. He knew from the start that Lebeau was no good, but knowing that he had the Xavier girl in his hands, that he had people working for him, and that he probably killed two men to get her, made his blood boil. He didn't know what his scheming was, but there was no way he would let an asshole like that get away with it.
Chapter 16 by Dark Ferrett
XVI. Secrets and Revelations

Admiral Scott Summers was knee deep in his lecture to young Bobby Drake, when Hank McCoy barged into his office. They both looked up. Bobby smiled in recognition. Summers frowned.

"What is the meaning of this?"

McCoy blinked at the handsome younger man and took a minute to catch his breath before speaking. It was hard to know where to begin with this story. Might as well go with the obvious.

"There's trouble."

Summers immediately stood up from his desk and walked around to lean on it's edge. Bobby looked between the two men, apparently his lecture on underage drinking would wait. Both he and Summers knew the Santa Anna was docking. The first mate running to see Summers meant only one thing - news of Marie Elizabeth Xavier.

"Did you find something? Is she……"

McCoy shook his head and tried not to stare at the eyepatch the young admiral wore. Despite his old grudge with him, McCoy had to admit Xavier's boy had done good that day. He still remembered that battle clearly and Creed's men were brutal. Despite the eye, he was very lucky to walk away alive. Guilt briefly gnawed at McCoy for the cruel nickname the men on the wharves gave the admiral from that day on. They meant it as a compliment of course, since everybody had them, but he knew it hurt Summers, who was first and foremost a gentleman. He himself had a few issues with being called Beast. In a way he was glad that the Wolverine had been the one to put Creed down. He had a gash across his back from the man and nobody had deserved a cold death more than Creed.

"Yes, no, I mean yes we found her and she was fine, but she's been taken."

Summers turned completely white. In a span of a second he went from ecstatic to just plain pissed. Bobby opened his eyes wide and watched Summers walk back around to his desk. He didn't understand. Summers had mobilized a small fleet, and she was found, but then taken? He himself had gone off on the Esperanza with Cable in search of the girl, but he had never really thought they would find anything. The ocean was simply too wide and too unforgiving. Lost in the memory of afternoon talks on deck with the beautiful Marie Elizabeth, Bobby jumped at Summer's unusually hostile tone.

"Who was it? What do you know?"

McCoy flashed a half grin. He knew Xavier treated the guy like a son. And if he wasn't needed so desperately in Puerto Nuevo to walk little old ladies across the street, Summers would have been the first one on a ship himself. It was the one thing he shared with the uptight do-gooder, they both loved the sea.

"Lebeau. He carted her off to Xavier's I think, but something wasn't right and she was alone"

Both Summers and Bobby looked at McCoy in shock. Her fiancé? Pirates maybe, but her fiancé? Summers had spent time with the lawyer before the search began. He was mysterious for sure, but no-one had questioned his dedication to finding Marie Elizabeth. Summers actually admired him for it. Despite his lack of nautical training, he had even given Lebeau command of the Santa Anna at his request. His grip on the desk tightened.

"McCoy, you are playing a dangerous game if you slander this man's name."

The first mate rubbed his two-day stubble and placed his large hands on Summer's desk too. They were now face to face. He could hear the approaching footsteps of Bishop and Cable to the backroom office. Summers barely acknowledged them with a look, still staring at McCoy and thinking over the possibilities of Lebeau somehow being less than what he had purposed himself to be.

"Look Summers, the girl is in danger, so is her escort and the man that saved her. Now we could stand here and have afternoon tea and discuss it or you can get your ass in gear and help us get to the bottom of this."

Summer's jaw twitched and grateful that the sailor had at least not called him Cyclops, went to open his drawer and withdraw a key. As Cable, Bishop, McCoy and Bobby looked on, he opened the cabinet behind him and withdrew long rifles for each of them before holstering two revolvers at his side. Throwing Bobby three casks of gunpowder and a spare revolver, he faced the men one last solemn time.

"We do this my way. Tell me everything you know."

The four other men exchanged glances before stepping out behind him, heavily armed and once again confident. Summers grabbed his riding gloves on the way out and called out to his messenger, a petite Asian girl, to inform Mrs. Summers that he would not be home for their customary mid-day meal. Taking a minute to see over the low-lying buildings to the seven sailing ships docked in the harbor, all four sailors quickly readied horses and took after Summers at full gallop through the cobbled streets.



Marie shut her eyes tighter when the carriage came to a sharp stop almost jostling her to the floor. But Lebeau, who was sitting across from her, stuck his booted foot out and prevented her from falling with a shove. Barely feeling the heel in her side, Marie sobbed tearlessly and clutched her cross tighter. She couldn't make out what Lebeau was saying to her, but she winced when his fingers dug into her arms and yanked at her. They stumbled out of the carriage, and Marie had to bring her hand up to cover her eyes from the brightness of the sun. She stumbled a few more steps alongside the tall man before her eyes adjusted from being in the dark coach.

Still squinting, Marie shook her head in confusion when she realized her hands were together. They were tied. She looked numbly at the rope around her wrists. It cut and grated into her skin, rubbing it raw. Slowly waking to realization, Marie started to come back to the world of the feeling. It was hot. It smelled like cut grass. Under her feet she felt gravel through the thin membrane of her slippers. She was tied and being led. Like an animal. Just like that day on the Isabella, where she was taken. Like a lamb to the slaughter.

Clutching her cross in remembrance, Marie flung her eyes wide and ventured a look up. She was being led up a path through lush green lawns to a house. The first thing she saw was the prominent brass X that traversed the double front doors just yards ahead of her. Enormous doors that led to an enormous house. Tightening her grip on the cross so that the edges threatened to break the soft skin of her palms, Marie gasped in realization. This was home. Her home. She skidded to a complete stop in the white gravel and turned to face Lebeau with clear and lucid eyes.

"Get your hands off me!!"

The man huffed in exasperation and raised the silver gun he had in his other hand.

"Why couldn't you just cooperate a little longer my dear? It would have made things easier."

Marie stared down the barrel of the gun numbly. Her voice was gravelly from all the crying she had done.

"Stop this now, or my father will……"

Her words were cut short, by a slap across her face. Marie reeled back from the stinging blow, the butt of the gun having caught her square in the jaw. She tasted blood in the inside of her mouth, but to her surprise she didn't feel tears, just a cold vindictiveness wash over her entirely. Lebeau gabbed her by the hair and pulled her up to face him. His grip tightened on her arm also.

"Your father will do nothing, my chere."

Marie stared at him coldly, before spitting into his face with a ferocity she never knew she had. Lebeau grimaced in disgust and raised his hand again. Her hands still useless at her chest, Marie braced for another blow, only it never came.

"You're late!!"

The cutthroat known only as Blob due to his enormous bulging girth, sneered at the scene from the doorway. Lebeau glared at Marie again before wiping his face and pulling her forward by her tied hands. A horrible realization dawned on Marie as she stared at the enormous man who had a bloody stain on his pant leg, where his saber rested and dripped slightly.

"What have you done?? What are you thinking??"

Tired of struggling, Lebeau flung Marie to the white marble steps leading up to the house and cocked his gun at her head.

"Marie Elizabeth, my sweet, if you do not cooperate, rest assure I will kill you, or better yet I'll kill your beloved little sister. So if you please."

Marie braced against the steps with mouth gaped wide open, before realizing that she had no choice. They had Kitty. They would hurt her. Head spinning with an unbearable headache, she stood slowly and followed the enormous man inside. He looked her up and down and she cringed before stepping through the door he held open. Still wondering whose blood rested on his sword, Marie came to sudden stop.

Tears filled her again as she caught sight of the dramatic frame hung opposite the door and overlooking the foyer. In a massive painting stood an ebony goddess sitting in a lush garden abloom in color. Her expression was serene and beautiful. It was her mother. Feeling a tide of emotion sweep her, she barely registered the gun pushing in between her shoulder blades.

"Move it, or you'll be joining her soon enough."

Still in awe, Marie ignored the threat. Her eyes took in everything in the expansive room. This home was a monument to her mother. It was evident from the minute you step foot in it. The peace and greenness flowed throughout and yet it was being marked so brutally.

Long forgotten screams echoed in Marie's memory. It was desecrated once before, they day her mother was murdered by prejudiced, thieving bastards. And now twelve years later her loved ones where in danger again. She had lost two already, she would not loose her sister and father as well. Catching her white streaks in the reflection of the silver frame the massive painting was encased in, Marie unconsciously clutched her stomach and turned slowly. She leaned in close to the man she once considered her destiny and now considered a hated enemy.

"I will kill you Lebeau, that I promise."

The startled man took an unsure step back from the intense ferocity of Marie's words. Even with the gun, he had a flash of insecurity that left him ashamed. Glancing a look at Blob, he shoved her again, more to get her to stop staring at him with such unabashed hatred as to get his plan on the way. He gave Blob an unsure look.

"Well, don't just stand there!"

The mammoth man complied with a grumble and led Marie through darkly paneled hallways and high ceiling'd rooms to a library chamber at the heart of the house. Marie gasped at the memory. It was her father's study, where she and Kitty use to play while he read. Afraid to look inside, Marie brought her head down, but a startled cry snapped it back up again.

"Marie Elizabeth!"

Despite the Blob's imposing size, Marie squirmed out of his grasp and ran to great her younger sister, who was tied to a chair. Both crying and laughing, Marie swung her arms over her sister's frame and squeezed tight, kissing random spots all over her face.

"I never thought I'd see you again Katherine. I love you so much."

"Me too Marie, but they got Daddy! What's g……"

Lebeau yanked Marie back to her feet, cutting the reunion short. The younger girl wailed in confusion and desperation. Marie's eyes instantly hardened again.

"Very touching ladies, but I'm afraid this reunion is still short one very important member."

He gave Blob a look and the mammoth man stomped away. Lebeau turned to face Marie, who had slumped back down to the floor, clutching at Kitty's feet. The younger girl was in hysterics, but Marie's look was unsettling as she pet her sister. Her words still resonated in his ears and he chuckled nervously.

"Please understand my dear, this is just a means to an end. It will be over soon enough."

Knowing that if she was to take his life, she had to know why, Marie swallowed her animosity and ventured a question.

"Why?"

Lebeau plopped down to a seat opposite the girls. The oval shaped room was covered in books from floor to ceiling. It was littered with priceless paintings and statues, full of rare and priceless finds he doubted anyone could easily surpass. He smirked contemplatively.

"Ah, those that have will never understand those that don't,"

Marie raised an eyebrow almost imperceptively. Lebeau continued, shifting his beloved silver gun from hand to hand.

"I'm afraid when all is said and done, it was about the money. And who, my dear, has more money than the Xaviers?"

Kitty sniffled and ceased her crying in the background.

"Your father runs around like God on this little bit of backwards paradise, flaunting everything. Defying the crown, giving land to savages, Negroes, undeserving bastards all of them! And he never even considered those that deserved it. His own blood!"

Marie watched in fascination as Lebeau's features darkened and he leaned forward.

"Oh yes, my dear, we are practically family. I suppose daddy never told you he was married once before. Married to my mother, a countess no less."

Marie blinked in shock. Kitty started crying again. They both struggled with the realization, but the look in Lebeau's eyes confirmed that it was the truth. Marie swallowed hard. But it couldn't be true.

"That's impossible!"

"I'm afraid not chere. But don't worry we aren't actually siblings. Unfortunately my dear mother was quite the loose woman, and when he found out I wasn't his, he left us."

Lebeau paused for a moment and Marie could clearly see the pain that passed his features.

"He sent us to France again with a nice amount of silver and promptly forgot us. Forgot that we ever mattered, that I ever existed."

His eyes turned darker as he continued. The grin returned.

"Of course by then he had your mother to keep him busy. And his righteous little dream. Ha!! A slave even. That was truly priceless. I knew right there he would pay. For cheating me out of my rightful name! For raising two spoiled little girls as queens in my place. That's why I changed my name and worked all those years in his London offices to make a reputation for myself. I did it to get to you, my dear."

The grin was now a sneer, and Marie clutched at Kitty tighter for comfort. A horrible thought occurred to her. She wanted to ask, but she knew that her sister could not take it. But Lebeau saw the question in her eyes and answered it for her.

"No, I had nothing to do with that. But I can't say I wasn't thrilled. It's refreshing to know people still understand that a Negro has no place among civilized people."

Marie burned in hatred.

"Her blood runs in me."

Lebeau paused at that thoughtfully.

"Yes, that is unfortunate, but it will not matter. You make a beautiful bride Marie Elizabeth and you will be mine. And so will the money of course."

Remembering the dull ache in his groin he leaned even further in his seat, running a finger slowly down her tearstained face. Marie actually felt Kitty tighten and shrink back, but she stood stock still, knowing his finger still rested on the trigger.

"I watched you for years Marie Elizabeth, bidding for my time patiently. It was actually easy once I could court you. You were such a sweet shy thing."

His features hardened again and he tightened his fingers on her chin, making the skin under his gloved fingers white under the pressure.

"Until the savage of course. I hired Creed to retrieve you, make this whole thing easier, but no, he had to intervene."

Marie could practically hear Kitty blinking in confusion. Feeling her heart ache, she swallowed again and wondered idly if Logan would be alive had he not gotten caught up in Lebeau's scheming. Had he not gone into the ocean after her. Tears threatening once again, Marie thought of the suede strap tucked into her waist, next to their child.

"You're insane."

"Perhaps, but when we sail away from this port with everything, it won't matter will it?"

He leaned forward and gently kissed her lips. Marie didn't move an inch but she couldn't hold back her tears any longer. They slid down her face and Kitty silenced instantly. A slow grin spread across Lebeau's face when he pulled back. He knew Marie would be cooperative around the other one. Lebeau let go of her face and stood up just as the doors to the study opened. He would finish later, there were many things to be done. All three pairs of eyes looked over. Marie's mouth fell open. After almost two years, her eyes finally met her father's, and what she saw made her cringe.



Summer's party rode hard past the slightly curious sailors busily loading and unloading on the dock. Having heard what McCoy and the others knew, he figured there was no way Lebeau would stay in Puerto Nuevo for long. He had not leaked his plans to anyone, but it was Summer's job to be aware of what was going on in the wharves and there had been suspicious activity of late.

Making a quick calculation, he figured Lebeau would be reaching the Xavier mansion soon, perhaps under a half hour. They had to move quick. Dismounting and leaving their horses tied, he signaled for Bishop, Cable and McCoy to flank him. Bobby stood close behind, carrying the gunpowder with two readied rifles. Before them loomed the Hispaniola.

It was a small ship, built for speed rather than cargo room, but it had troubled Summers. Lebeau had arrived from London on it and the crew of twenty were mostly strangers to him. They had kept to themselves mostly, but looked unsavory nonetheless. They had taken to drinking and brawling and several times overstepped bounds with the local women. He had been desperate to catch them doing something illegal so that he could demand that they leave Puerto Nuevo, but they had kept low and looking up at the bright noonday sun, Summers admitted to himself that this rescue operation wasn't as well thought out as it could have been.

On his signal, Cable and Bishop moved forward up the ramp on either side just shy of the deck rail. Crouching low, Cable signaled three fingers. Giving an okay, Summers, McCoy and Bobby moved up after them, while the two men took care of the three men up on deck. By the time he had climbed over the railing, they were already bound and gagged. Taken a little aback at how quickly the two had rendered the men unconscious, Summers gave the signal to move ahead once again. The five advanced, making a bee-line to the deck hatch. Hearing voices approach just as he was about to lift it, Cable gave a signal and Summers and McCoy cocked their guns. When the hatch swung open, the two sailors walked right into the weapons. Summers spoke in a tone neither men had ever herd before.

"Where are they?"

The two stare at him dumbly before the one known as Quicksilver went for the knife at his side. Cable was faster though and launched his into the man's hand before he could make for his weapon. He fell screaming and bleeding to the ground.

"I repeat, where are they?"

The second man pointed down below.

"In the galley."

His statement was rewarded by a blow to the head by Bishop's rifle. Summers raised an eyebrow at the inherent brutality, but had to admire how quick they moved. In no time, Cable and Bishop were tying the two men up and Bobby was holding the hatch open. Taking a good look around, McCoy descended first. Summers followed with a grin. They were crude, but these men worked well together. They had yet to say a word to each other since dismounting their horses and yet they were already hot on the trail, deep in the ship's bowels.

Following the same flanking, defensive formation through the Hispanola's dark corridors down below, the five men moved silently. The infiltration was going smoothly and they were almost at the galley when a yell and a shot rang out. Looking back in time to catch Bishop firing at a shiphand behind them, Summers cursed under his breath. He could hear rather than see more men approaching now that their cover was blown.

"McCoy, Bishop, fend them off! Cable come with me."

Grabbing the extra rifle that Bobby shoved at him, Summers briefly wondered why he had dragged the boy into the fray to begin with. But watching him quickly hand Bishop and McCoy readied rifles as bullets began to tare the small confined space, he gritted his teeth and followed after Cable. The skipper stopped short at the galley doors. They could make footsteps running inside, and quickly ducked into either side of the doorframe.

Two sailors came charging out of the galley only seconds later with revolvers drawn, no doubt having heard the gunfire down the hall. Putting them down effortlessly, both Cable and Summers peered into the galley before running in. It was hard to tell in the dark mess hall, but there were about eight men inside. The smell of blood, ale and sweat immediately hit them, and Summers could faintly see the outline of two bodies hanging in the far side of the room in the haze of smoke that the gunfire already produced.

Preferring his saber over a revolver, Cable withdrew his blade and was otherwise busy with a tall cutthroat by the door. Summers downed a second man first thing when he walked in, but being good for only one shot, he dropped to crouch behind a long wooden table. Readying a revolver again, Summers waited for a pause in the shots fired at him to leap to a second table. Catching one man in the chest, he raised his gun at the other man, but the unreliable weapon jammed and he caught a bullet in the leg from him instead. In his peripheral vision, he saw Cable cleaving a third man through the chest with his sword, but he knew they were outnumbered.

Crawling over to an overturned table he readied his gun again. The one who shot him ran over expecting to see him dead, but Summers surprised him immensely by shooting him in the neck. Feeling his stomach turn at the way his blood splattered over his boots, Summers kicked at the body and looked over at Cable embroiled in a life and death struggle with someone else. Knowing that he only one shot left, he tried to steady his hand with his one good eye, but the two were moving too fast in the hazy, burning smoke. Trying hard to give Cable a fighting chance, he failed to notice the man in the dirty brown boots approaching behind him or the loud crash on the far side of the room.



Luckily, Logan had noticed the man in the brown boots. In the wake of the battle being played out before him, and the kicks St. John was giving him, he blinked and looked up. It was an odd situation because he was hanging by his tied hands from a beam in the ceiling. He was gagged and hurt all over, but nothing throbbed more than his head. In the darkness that swirled in it, he could make out Cable wrestling with someone, and the one they called Cyclops, getting shot. And then he remembered Marie. She was in danger. Lebeau had her and he was going to split the man open from groin to sternum to watch him bleed slowly for ever having touched her. With a grunt, he yanked at his binds. Useless.

Giving St. John next to him, a glare, Logan sent a silent message he hoped the younger man would understand. St. John stopped kicking him and shook his head in understanding. On his third blink, the two used the wall behind them to brace up and then pull down on the beam with all their might. It budged an inch and trying again with all their combined strength, Logan and St. John managed to splinter the wooden beam and bring it crashing down on the fourth try.

Debris raining down on them both, Logan staggered to his feet. His arms felt heavy and tingly from being suspended for so long, but he moved quick. Spitting out his gag, he grabbed Cable's blade that was stuck in someone's chest by his feet and swung it over his head. The short but sharp blade hit it's intended target smack between the shoulder blades. Toad yelled out in pain and twisted his body to reach to it, but Logan was an expert knife thrower and it had crossed seven metres and still managed to penetrate him to the handle. The man in the dirty brown boots that Summers had failed to see, landed with a thud before him.

Taking the element of surprise, Cable brought his struggle to a finish also. He looked over with a heaving grin at Logan before running out the room to see about McCoy, Bishop and Bobby. Summers staggered to his feet just as Logan reached him. With a grunt he saw him take the knife from the dead man's back, flip it around to cut his restraints and wipe it on his ripped pant leg before sliding it into the small of his back. St. John was already out of his binds, and looking terribly worse for wear, moved forward in the smoke. Summers stared at both, obviously beaten and bruised. Logan was the first to speak through clenched teeth.

"Where is she?"

Summers loosened his neck tie to wrap around his leg. St. John immediately went to his side to steady him. He looked at the imposing figure of the man he had on more than one occasion cited for illegal silver fighting in the warehouses. His eyes and posture spoke of controlled rage, but strangely, his eyes spoke only of pain.

"We have little time. Let's get the others. I'll tell you along the way."
Chapter 17 by Dark Ferrett
XVII. Parchment and Desperation

Marie fought every instinct in her body that ached to run and embrace her father. He had been beaten and looked dangerously pale when they brought him in. He had a bad leg from an old injury, but he still looked as calm and wise as ever. Marie's eyes filled with tears when one of the men struck him for calling her looking at her, but she stood in place, holding Kitty and trying to get her to stop crying and mentally cursing Lebeau for taking the dignified man to such a state. At least they didn't tie him up, but Marie wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not.

Her eyes grazed everything around her. There were now three men with Lebeau and each was armed and blocking the door. She was sure there were more outside keeping watch and she felt incredibly foolish for not having been alert when they brought her in. Her gaze snapped back to Lebeau. With her father's presence his entire demeanor changed. He was visibly more tense and anxious, and deep inside, Marie knew that only made him all the more dangerous.

"You have no need for them here Jean-Luc. I will do as you wish."

Xavier's voice cut through the room and Marie was so proud that he could sound so strong and sure even in a situation like this. And it worked wonders on Lebeau, who visibly cringed from him. Marie realized that he had yet to look at her father directly.

"Don't call me that! My name is Rembrant Lebeau and your mind games will not work on me old man."

He snapped open his pocket watch and shut it almost as quickly. Marie wondered for the first time what time schedule he was on. The older man looked over at him in regret and pity from behind his massive desk. Lebeau was now pacing back and forth in impatience, obviously waiting for something. A few minutes of tense silence later, another man walked in with a leather bound ledger. Lebeau clutched at it triumphantly and turned to look at her and Kitty. Marie's heart dropped when she finally understood what his plans were.

"Bring them!"

Xavier's eyes widened and Kitty started crying loudly again when two of Lebeau's henchmen moved forward to grab them. They pulled Marie to kneel before her father's massive desk. As soon as they untied her from the chair, they did the same to Kitty. There were knives pointed to their backs. Lebeau calmly walked over to the desk, undid the ledger and started to remove several parchments.

"These are transfers for all the property rights and holdings in Europe, as well as the land grants on this god forsaken little sandbar. Sign them."

Xavier regarded the man coolly.

"Only if you let them go."

Lebeau chuckled defiantly but still didn't look the man in the eye. Marie shook her head despite the edge pressed into her back.

"Don't do it father! These people have worked so hard. He's insane! Don't do……"

Marie's words were cut short by the thug who pulled her hair back to reveal her neck and pressed a knife to her throat. Kitty screamed and Xavier's jaw twitched.

"Always so noble my dear. Now sign before the girls die."

"Let her go first."

Marie watched in silence as her father slowly moved a hand to the quill and held it there. Practically tasting his victory, Lebeau signaled the man holding Marie to let go. She slumped forward when he released her. Xavier gave his eldest daughter a solemn look before dipping the quill and moving it across the parchment. Moving deliberately slow, he signed away his holdings, his claim to Puerto Nuevo property and his dream. Marie watched with tears as he stamped an X into hot wax under his name on each paper.

"But mother……"

Xavier continued signing the various documents without looking up.

"It is quite alright Marie Elizabeth. She would understand. We can start over."

Lebeau chuckled excitedly as he fanned the ink to dry faster. He looked over the documents gleefully.

"Oh, but I have neglected to tell you `Master' Xavier. Marie Elizabeth is coming with me."

Xavier paused in his writing and Marie clenched her eyes shut as Lebeau walked over and picked her up by the shoulders. He embraced her from behind. Finally pleased to see the old man's eyes glisten with tears, he added a kiss on Marie's cheek and raised her tied hands to show off her ruby ring.

"I'm afraid this is going to be goodbye. Marie Elizabeth is leaving with me. You see, how could I be a respected Xavier without my beautiful wife? Don't worry, she'll be in good hands."

"You have lost your mind Jean-Luc? This will be known. You will be caught."

Lebeau let go of Marie instantly and pointed his gun at Xavier. Behind them the giant grandfather clock struck one.

"You have nerve old man!!"

The potential for violence escalated greatly. Marie looked from one to the other frantically, but thankfully one of the henchmen spoke up.

"Sir, the ship is waiting. The sooner we leave…"

"I know! I know!"

Lebeau lowered his gun indecisively again and hastily gathered the papers that he had laid out. Signaling to the man behind Marie, he tucked them into the ledger and regarded Xavier one last time.

"We'll see who's pitiful now." He turned to one of the men. "Bring her and finish them."

Marie screamed as she was pushed out again by the same monumental man that brought her in. She tried to look back to see what would happen to Kitty and her father but she was practically being carried out by the enormous hands. Lebeau passed her with a grin and gathered his coat.

"Don't worry my dear, it will be quick."

Marie bucked against her captor, but she was dragged from the room effortlessly. In the study, she could make out Kitty running to her father's side. They held each other tightly as one of Lebeau's men raised his gun. Still struggling, she gasped when the doors swung closed behind her and jumped when she heard a shot and then another ring out.

"Nooo!!!"

Marie slumped down to the marble entranceway in a blur of light blue satin. She squeezed her eyes and begged god that it wouldn't be so. They were dead. They were all dead. Lebeau cursed at the enormous man to hurry, who mumbled and picked up the sobbing girl. Tossing her over his shoulders like a sack, he stomped down the steps behind Lebeau, while Marie's mind threatened to fold on her once again. Consumed in grief, she stopped crying and closed her eyes. It was too much to handle. She could not take it. It was just too much. Moving deeper into shock, Marie almost lost it again, where it not for the jolt that ran through her when the big man fell backwards and she landed hard on the white gravel path.

Holding her hands to her head, Marie's mind reeled while all around Lebeau's henchmen scattered and panicked. Completely oblivious to the sudden frenzied commotion, Marie pushed at the body next to her and stood up. Taking a few unsure steps, she came to the realization that she free. No-one was holding her. Looking up to see the giant brass X of the doorway, she staggered to move forward. Behind her she heard gunfire and yelling, but she was oblivious to it all. She had to see them. Kiss their faces and their hands. Give Kitty her cross back. See her mother's serene and beautiful face. She had lost everything, but she wanted to see them all one last time. Marie was halfway up the white marble when she felt a blow to the back of her head. She turned around and saw Lebeau before she passed out.



Logan tore through the cobbled roads up the hillside with only one thing on his mind. The horse he rode was strained to the breaking point, but he dug his black boots into it's side mercilessly, spurring it on. To his amazement, the others were right behind him, pushing themselves to the limit as well. But he barely thought about them. His concern was only Marie and when the enormous house up on the hill came into view, he pulled ahead even more.

It happened that just as he turned for the last stretch, he spotted the coach that McCoy had described and Lebeau walking down the front steps. His teeth clenched in anger and when he saw an enormous man step out of the house behind him with Marie struggling in his grasp, he positively felt his blood boil. But he was still out of range. Yelling at the horse to move faster, Logan kept his eyes glued to the man as he swung her over his shoulder. Her long hair draped down his back and moved with his every step. He could faintly make out the white streak in the distance.

McCoy was saying something at his side, but Logan didn't hear it. Clutching the horse firmly between his thighs, he lifted a few inches out of the saddle and swung the rifle he had across his bare back towards the front. Taking a sharp aim, he fired the moment he was close enough. The bullet ripped through the Blob's chest in a spray. They both tumbled to the ground and all hell broke loose as Lebeau realized he had been discovered.

A half dozen hired thugs came out of nowhere and Logan's companions quickly fired in retribution. The firefight that ensued was intense and when they reached the house, the hand to hand even moreso, but Logan's gaze didn't waver. He had spotted Lebeau and seen him carry Marie off across the lawns. Everything in his body creaked in agony at seeing her so hurt and vulnerable. His Marie. One thing was certain, he wasn't going to let him hurt her. He had hurt them enough and as Logan slipped off his horse and charged forward, with a readied rifle Bobby tossed him and his knife, he knew it was all coming to an end.



Marie started coming to, when a sudden misstep sent them both tumbling to the ground. Tearstained and weary, Marie blinked at the smell of the black earth suddenly pressed into her face. Her hands were in front of her and she dug them into the blackness. The smell of soil and life filled her. But she was yanked up again and facing Lebeau's crazed eyes before she could protest. She recalled her situation clearly.

"My dear, now that you're up you are either going to cooperate or I'm going to kill you."

Marie blinked at him a few times. He was dirty and sweaty from carrying her and was still gripping his gun tightly, but the idea struck her as so funny. There was no other way, he could possibly hurt her any further. She surprised him by giggling. He stared at her for a minute. When he was courting her, she giggled incessantly. It was somewhat annoying, but so endearing. It occurred to him that he hadn't heard her giggle once since her return. He opened his mouth, but she spoke first.

"What exactly do you think you're doing Remy??"

He blinked at her carefully, all notions that that they were being attacked and chased gone. He lifted the ledger he was holding tightly.

"It's our future Marie Elizabeth. Yours and mine."

She looked at him sadly, wondering briefly just how long she had been out and how far along in the forest they were. The laughter died out slowly

"You've taken everything I love. There is no us."

She stared at him in quiet defiance and Lebeau's hand went for hers again. Marie pulled it away. His face fell.

"You're making this hard."

"Everything. You've taken everything. "

Using his superior strength, Lebeau pulled her forward. He could still hear the wiz of gunshots not that far off. Angry and desperate, Lebeau raised his gun again to threaten her again, but Marie moved quicker. Using the rock she had gathered from when she fell, Marie swung it to meet his hand with all her strength. The silver gun he loved so much smashed into three pieces and fell to the dark ground.

Yelping in pain at the damage the sharp rock inflicted on his hand, Lebeau dropped the ledger as well. Marie dove for it and caught it before it hit the ground. Turning on her heels before he could react, she ran into the forest, blind to where she was or where she was headed, knowing only that she could not let Lebeau succeed in his plan. Her mother's dream would not die at his hands. She would make sure. Clutching the ledger tightly, Marie ran through the humid forest not that unlike the one she had shared with Logan. She shut her eyes briefly at the memory. They had been so happy.

Behind her, Lebeau was yelling and cursing in frustration. He wiped his bloody knuckles on his expensive white shirt, before taking off after her. Despite her ease in the greenery, Marie was still disadvantaged. The lighter dress she had worn because of the heat was still dragging, catching and making it hard to run in. She couldn't see him, but she heard Lebeau's hard boots and broken curses close behind her. Although, the gunshots had ceased, she could still make out voices and yelling in the distance.

Knowing she had no choice, Marie turned to those voices and ran as fast as she could, hoping whoever attacked Lebeau's men would help her as well. Stopping only to grab a particularly hefty long branch, she ran until she could no longer ignore the pain in her side. Cursing herself for still having worn a corset, she paused and looked around. Spotting a dense bush nearby, she tucked into it, hoping her bright dress wouldn't give her away. Lebeau caught up to her in a matter of minutes. Pausing where the footprints stopped, he looked around.

"Marie come here!!"

Marie shuddered at the intensity in his voice. She didn't have to see his face, to know the vindictiveness there.

"I would have given you anything! A-ny-thing!"

She watched carefully from under the brush, not six feet away. He moved forward, then doubled back. He would go fox hunting often enough to know how to follow a trail. Marie's heart sank and she clutched her branch tighter. Apparently he had the same idea as her, because he tossed off his long jacket and picked up a stick nearby.

"But it wouldn't have been enough huh? All you wanted was that savage."

He grinned maliciously and twirled round and round, looking for the broken twig or stray footprint that would give her away.

"But he's dead!! So why not carry on? Was he that good a fuck?"

Marie clenched her eyes and threw her head back in agony. The movement caused the leaves of the bush she was hiding behind to rustle a little. Lebeau's smile got wider and his voice got lower. He saw a scrap of light blue satin tucked behind some leaves.

"Believe me I could understand the need to indulge in the occasional rut with a commoner, my dear. That's what whorehouses are for. I will not lie. But did you actually think he cared for you? You were just there Marie. A very convenient fuck when no-one else was around."

Marie opened her eyes at how close his voice sounded, but was too late in moving. He had seen her and before she could react, he had tackled her flat to the ground, once again using his weight to pin her. Marie struggled wisely though. He would not take her or the documents, she would rather die. And she had no intentions of dying at his hands. With a snarl, she clutched at the stick she had in her hands and rammed it into his throat with a quick jab.

Lebeau's eyes flung open and he staggered back coughing and wheezing. Marie grinned at the damage she inflicted and scrambled to get to her feet. Not willing to take chances, she brought the branch to his lower back with a grunt, felling the tall man to his knees. Now in total control of the situation, Marie yanked his head back by his ponytail, like he had done several times to her. Lebeau was still not able to breathe through his damaged windpipe so he looked at Marie in growing terror, turning almost purple.

"You have no idea what we shared Lebeau. It was true love, not your twisted idea of it."

He went to reach for her, but she stepped out of the way and brought the branch back down on his hand. He dropped it immediately as it ripped the wounds he already had on it again. Letting rage run through her unchecked, Marie smirked at the man she had choking on his knees as she walked circles around him.

"Did you honestly think I would let you destroy what my father has built here! What these families have struggled for!"

Seeing that he was regaining some ability to breathe again, Marie brought the branch across his back again. Despite the crushed windpipe, Lebeau hollered in pain as he arched his back. Wanting him to know, needing him to know, Marie pulled his head back again to face her. She smiled sadly into his crazed eyes before moving her lips. Brushing down just inches from his face, she whispered.

"And I am carrying his child."



Logan left Summers and the rest to deal with who was left of Lebeau's men on the front lawns of the Xavier home in search of Marie. He had seen the bastard drag her into the forest behind the property, but it was expansive and thick. Logan ran in at full speed, but ten minutes later, his heart sunk in the realization that they could be long gone and they could not find them. Running aimlessly with Cable's knife at his side, having long dropped the rifle, he stalked and stalked non-existent trails until he had to admit to himself that he had lost her. Slashing at a nearby tree in frustration, he brought his hands up to his temples and shut his eyes. His body dripped in sweat and his heartbeat thrummed so hard in his ears, it was a while before he was able to hear it.

In the distance, high in the canopy, he could make out a call. A call that could have been anyone's only, there was just one bird in the world that would know his name. Looking up, Logan caught the amazing sight of Raven swooping down in a shocking blur of color. Extending his hand like he had seen Marie do a thousand times, he stared at the accessorized parrot in awe as it fluttered and tucked his wings in.

"Looo-gan, Looo-gan."

"Raven, where did you come from? Are you with her?"

The bird cawed and fluttered excitedly. Logan figured simple was better.

"Marie. Marie."

He flapped even harder and took off again. Logan stared at his retreating red tail feathers for a second before taking off after the animal with a renewed sense of hope and a smile.



Marie stopped her easy trotting and crouched low on her haunches when she thought she heard her name called. Knowing she was close to the house again, she thought it might be best to let them show themselves before answering. She cocked her head and listened for the direction. Then she got her feet when she heard it get louder. Making a slight change in her trajectory, she ran a little faster as she began to realize who was calling her. Not having felt anything but sorrow for what seemed like an eternity, she almost collapsed to the ground again when Raven swooped down from the treeline calling her name. She fell to her knees and cuddled the bird close, having thought it was lost forever and cried tears of joy at having at least one thing left to remind her. That's how Logan found her.

Coming to the small, sun-dappled clearing, he felt his heart stop at the sight of his Marie, on the ground in a dress that matched Raven's tie. She was petting her bird frantically and crying softly when he stepped forward. A branch snapped under his boots. She startled and looked up immediately with her hand tight around a branch at her side. Logan noted the natural reflex. She had learned so much.

Not sure if he was a dream or a hallucination, Marie let go of Raven and shrank back slightly at seeing Logan's form. She would have stared forever had he not dropped the knife he was carrying and dropped to his knees before her. Taking her teary and dirty face in his hands he crushed her to him, relieved and ecstatic beyond words. Marie gasped at the solidity of the man that held her. His chest was just as she remembered. Strong and safe. She clutched at him tightly with a shudder, not willing to let go for fear that he might vanish again. Worried that she hadn't said a word to him, Logan rubbed her cheeks with his thumbs and peered down to her face.

"Are you hurt?"

Marie shook her head no, surprised at the emotion that choked his voice and clasped her hands over his. Logan stared into the pain and surprise in her wide green eyes. Not able to hold back, he crushed into her lips. They dueled with their tongues desperately, wanting to demonstrate all the relief and love they had for each other with the simple act. Needing to feel her completely against him, Logan pulled her flush against him with a hand to her back. He tangled the other in her hair, and Marie clutched his sweaty back tightly, never thinking she would do so again.

But eventually he pulled her back, and she was lost in the hazel depths of his eyes. Slightly panting, Logan brushed hair out of her face and asked what was bothering him.

"Lebeau."

Marie motioned to where she had dropped the ledger and tried to clear her throat.

"I took care of it."

Logan frowned slightly and took a quick look around. Marie placated him with a hand to cup his face. The reality of him still hadn't sunk in yet. Her voice was a whisper.

"He told me you were dead."

Logan kissed at her hands willing her pain to go away.

"Almost, but I'm here now darling."

Marie squeezed her eyes shut and let a tear escape her.

"My family…I think…I have to know."

Logan swallowed hard and stood in understanding, pulling her into his arms. He realized for the first time just how ragged she looked. He gravitated a hand over her stomach. Marie looked up and reassured him with a kiss to the jaw. Not able to believe he was still holding her, Logan smoothed her tangled strands of white.

"Thought I lost you darling."

Marie sighed heavily and leaned into Logan's shoulder. He caught her chin and pulled her up a little more. Sharing a soft tender kiss that left them both overwhelmed with emotion, Logan and Marie hurried off with Raven cawing in the lead.
Chapter 18 by Dark Ferrett
XVIII. First Thing

Marie padded over to the large open porch and looked out over the horizon for the tenth time that day. Having taught the cook exactly how to cook crabs just right and gone outside to the fields to pick mangoes with the maids all morning, she settled in on the cushy porch booth and took out the book she had been rereading. Taking the suede strap and the dried lavender she used as a bookmark, she brought it to her nose solemnly before tucking the strap into her bodice. She read in the dimming evening light, occasionally pausing and looking out over into the blue ocean. Caught up in the memory of warm nights making love on the beach as the sun set, Marie failed to hear the sound of bare feet behind her.

"Marie Elizabeth."

Marie looked over at her sister with a sly smirk. She sat next to her in the porch booth and took out a letter. Marie looked at her thoughtfully before taking it. Words could not describe the overwhelming joy she felt walking out of the forest that day with Logan to see St. John kissing Katherine on the front steps. It turns out the shots she heard was from the gun that her father kept in his desk. In his rush to underestimate him, Lebeau failed to check. And things couldn't have worked out better. There was only one thing missing in her life now. Looking one last time over at the horizon, Marie took the letter.

"It's from Jean Summers."

Marie smiled and thought about the beautiful wife of the admiral. In the two weeks since that day, she had visited with her several times. Marie was pleasantly surprised when Jean had agreed so quickly to volunteer her time at the new hospital. Jean's father had been a physician and she apparently had a knack for medicine as well. She was a most charming lady and despite Marie's repeated offers to return her trunks, Jean had refused. In a way Marie was glad. The two sat like monuments in the corner of her room. The room she slept alone in. She looked over at the horizon dejectedly again. Noticing her sadness, Katherine leaned over and placed her hand over Marie's. At Marie's insistence, she had stopped wearing gloves.

"Are you all right?"

Marie stared at the cross Katherine wore around her neck. Returning it was hard, but she wanted her sister to have it's protection now.

"I just miss him so much Kitty."

On the porch railing, Raven perked up and started chanting his newly learned word.

"Kit-teee, Kit-teee."

Both girls giggled and Marie tossed him a seed from the ones she always kept in her pocket. Raven caught it and they laughed even louder when he flew off. Marie let him roam free around the property, since it seemed so wrong to lock him behind a cage. It worked out well, since Puerto Nuevo was almost as tropical as his home had been. The bird came and went as he pleased.

"That bird is truly remarkable."

Marie looked at her sister wistfully. She was so happy to have her so close. The modest ring she wore on her finger glimmered in the bright tropical sun.

"He'll be back soon, Marie. Johnny said new ships have been coming in continuously."

Marie picked up the hand that was over hers and looked at the ring up close.

"Johnny?"

Kitty immediately lowered her head and blushed.

"Don't make fun of me Marie Elizabeth, you sound like daddy."

Marie chuckled again. After witnessing their little display on the steps of the house that day, she figured Kitty and St. John went full speed ahead, but they were still circling each other warily. But Marie was confident their love would last, they had time. She knew her sister was waiting for him to fully recover from his leg injury before announcing an engagement party.

"That's because even daddy is wondering when you two are going to stop turning red every time you're in the same room together."

Kitty blushed even harder and brought the ring up to her lips with a sigh. Then she looked at Marie curiously.

"I don't mean to be rude Marie Elizabeth, but what exactly happened to…well, the one…"

Marie raised an eyebrow.

"I gave it to the hospital that daddy's building. No point in letting it go to waste."

Kitty nodded sadly and gave her sister a quick hug. A few days afterwards, Lebeau was tried and hung for orchestrating the kidnapping plot, and being responsible for two of their servant's deaths. Marie had left him unconscious and bleeding in the forest, but had no remorse about the entire thing. Although she despised the man, her father had always believed that god and law be the only judges of a man's actions. That was a belief she could live with.

The whole experience was very hard on everyone, especially their father since he had hoped to never have done such a thing on his island. But facts were inevitable, and as Puerto Nuevo grew by leaps and bounds, Xavier had to admit that crime would occasionally factor in. In response, he had offered positions to Logan's friends as Summer's deputies. On a fleet of cutters, they patrolled the waters from Puerto Nuevo to the mainland. It saddened him deeply, but he knew his community was safer for it.

Only Bobby stayed behind on the island as Summer's deputy assistant. Marie had visited him when she had gone to see Jean and was beyond tickled when he asked her tips on how to court a girl. It seems he had a thing for Summer's secretary. Marie shook her head and tucked her bare feet under herself. Kitty looked up knowing she had something to say. Marie rubbed her stomach lightly and smiled sadly at Kitty.

"I have something to tell you Katherine."

The younger woman blinked expectantly. Her sister rarely called her by her given name when they were alone. Marie laid the book to the side and withdrew the suede strap she had tucked in her bodice and turned it in her fingers.

"I am with child."

Kitty blinked a few times in shock. Marie repeated herself.

"Almost two months pregnant."

Kitty flushed and placed a hand over her mouth.

"But why…how…"

She stopped herself and flushed even deeper. Marie laid a hand on her shoulder.

"I think we already spoke about that Katherine."

They stared at each other a few seconds before giggling unexpectedly. Marie had told her everything about her voyage and everything that had happened on the island, but something made her hold back with that particular bit of news. Their voices quieted and Marie's eyes glistened. Never able to hold back her own tears, Kitty sniffled and embraced her sister.

"But why didn't you tell me. It must have been so dreadful, keeping a secret like that all to yourself."

Marie sighed deeply and settled back into her chair. Looking out over to the horizon, she watched the sun starting to set. Her favorite time of day.

"I was waiting for him to come back. St. John knows, but I wanted to tell you and daddy all together."

Her eyes glistened again, but tears did not fall. Marie had non left to spill. Kitty shook her head sadly.

"He'll come back, because he'll do anything for you Marie Elizabeth. And you will both be so happy."

Marie smoothed away her sister's tears and smiled through her sorrow. Kitty squeezed her hand and they sat in silence for another few moments to watch the sun setting. Afterwards, Kitty stood and smoothed out her skirts.

"Daddy must still be working in the study. I'll go see that he retires soon."

Marie nodded and wrapped her hand around her book. The breeze was heavenly and she decided to stay outdoors a little longer. She had taken to avoiding her room completely until she couldn't possibly keep her eyes open any longer. Something about smelling the ocean air helped her sleep and the last thing she wanted was to sleep in a huge bed alone. Curling onto her side, she fingered the suede strap in her fingers and thought about hazel eyes and the safety of large arms wrapped around her until she fell asleep.



Logan shifted his weight expertly as the wind swayed the ship back and forth. It was a small cutter ship, but it moved fast and sleek in the water. Tightening his grip on the ropes that kept him up in the riggings, Logan looked past the flapping canvas all around him to the land that lay just further up ahead. They were still a few miles off, but he could see the street lamps of Puerto Nuevo clearly. Feeling his heart soar, he picked up the eyeglass he had tucked into his waist and looked up to the tallest hill on the long island. It was faint, but he could see the enormous white house nestled in the greenery.

He put the eyeglass down slowly. He had spent the majority of his life on the water, weeks at a time where nothing past what he was doing at the moment mattered, but that had all changed when a girl called him a barbarian on a wharf in London. He smiled in remembrance as he started to descend the rigging. He had thought a lot about Marie while he was away. He had thought he had fallen in love with her somewhere on that island. But that wasn't true.

He fell for her the minute he laid eyes on her. Something about that brave haughtiness that went straight for his heart. The rest was simply figuring it out. Jumping onto a sinking ship and risking death twice over should have proven it. But he needed more. He realized that the moment they walked out of the forest that day hand in hand.

Marie had run into her father's arms and Logan had stood back. She had caught up to him when he was already halfway to his horse. Guilt gnawed at him, but he knew it would only grow and fester if he didn't take care of things right way. Besides, she had her family. She would be okay. Safe. He left with tears, a kiss and a promise to return soon. Not able to look into her watery green eyes for fear that he would just stay, Logan had left determined to fulfill his promise. She deserved the best and he was willing to do anything to be deserving of her.

Assisting the small crew of four to man the flag signals, pull in the sails and release anchor, Logan hustled to gather his things and settle payment with the crew before jumping down to the dock below. Immediately, he spotted Summers and Bobby overseeing a late shipment of supplies coming in for the new hospital. He was almost to the young admiral when Bobby jumped up.

"Hey Logan! Thought you'd never come back."

Logan shook hands with both and slapped Summer's back heartily.

"Was there ever any doubt?"

Summers smiled.

"So is Puerto Nuevo's best silver fighter here to stay?"

Logan grinned at the old reference and wondered if Summer's would still fine him for fighting. Not that he would. For now.

"Permanently."

"That's good to hear. Marie Elizabeth has been waiting."

Logan looked over at the direction of the Xavier home. It had been the longest two weeks of his life. Summer's smile grew at the far away expression that crossed Logan's features. Jean had been right.

"Are you going up tonight?"

Logan snapped back to the here and now at Bobby's question. Summers jumped in before he had a chance to respond.

"Of course he is Robert. Take my horse as a matter of fact. Go on."

Both Logan and Bobby looked at the admiral strangely.

"You're killing time. She's waiting!"

Logan's smile spread and Bobby ran off, coming back with a tall black horse in seconds.

"Thank you Summers. I owe you."

The admiral smiled and actually looked embarrassed.

"Just remember you owe me several bottles of some excellent rum. And some tobacco."

Logan raised an eyebrow.

"Deal."

With a final handshake, Logan left pulling Bobby along with him. When they were safely out of earshot, he took out a letter.

"I need you to run all of these errands for me by tomorrow afternoon. This should cover it."

Bobby opened his eyes wide at the purse full of silver that Logan dropped in his hand. Apparently silver fighting paid well. When you were the Wolverine, of course.

"Sure thing Logan. My lady friend could read."

Logan slapped him on the shoulder and mounted the horse he `borrowed' from Summers. Before taking off he looked at the boy who was happily stuffing the items into his shirt.

"If it hadn't been for you dropping that cask of ale, I never would have met her."

Bobby smirked widely. He had a pretty good idea what was in the letter.

"Good luck."

Logan grinned and took off into the country roads. Half an hour later, he was nearing the gates that were marked with a giant X. He was let in by the gatekeeper just as the moon began it's nightly ascent. Dismounting the powerful horse, Logan pat it down briefly before handing the reigns to the gatekeeper. Despite his stand on no drinking on Sundays, he had to respect Summer's taste in horses.

Looking over at the enormous Xavier home, Logan swallowed nervously. He had been here only once before, but he barely had time to acknowledge anything about it. Remembering his mission and refusing to let it intimidate him, Logan straightened out the new leather vest that he wore over his crisp white shirt and moved ahead with renewed vigor in his step. Jogging up the stairs, he cleared his throat again, before going to knock at the junction of the brass X on the double doors. But hand still in the air, he startled when he heard his name.

"Logan?"

He looked over. Tucked away in the corner of the expansive porch was Marie. He smiled widely. One of those genuine smiles that rarely graced his face. Marie stumbled out of her booth and charged at him. He caught her in his arms and even staggered a bit at the force at which she flung herself at him. Loving the way her mouth curved when she laughed, Logan moved his lips to cover hers. Tired of waiting, and hoping and pining, they kissed passionately, completely. It was only when Raven swooped down on Logan's shoulder that they disengaged. Logan tried to calm the fluttering bird.

"Hey, hey, calm down boy."

Marie giggled brightly.

"He's missed you too."

"Not as much as I've missed you."

He moved down to kiss her again, but Raven's cawing made it impossible. Logan moved back ruefully.

"So you have a new chaperone."

Marie lifted her arm to calm Raven down. He silenced immediately and she moved back to the booth she had been sitting on. Logan followed, trying to smooth back the hair Raven ruffled up.

"The one time that I try to look good, it backfires."

Marie tucked her feet under her and took in his appearance. He was dressed up handsomely. Even though his shirt was wide open and he had no jacket on with his knit trousers, he looked marvelous.

"You do look good."

She enjoyed the embarrassed look on his face and remembered something. Setting Raven down on the edge of the porch railing, she took out the suede strap she had dropped and leaned over. Logan stared at her up close as she gathered his hair back. Missing the closeness, the intimacy, his hands moved to circle her waist. He smiled at the feel of her corset underneath. He had really grown to like those things.

"So why exactly do you look so handsome?"

Logan grinned at her playful tone and pulled her onto his lap before she had a chance to sit back next to him. Marie's breath caught and she looked deep into the hazel eyes she dreamed so much of. Logan traced the white streaks that circled her face with his gloved hands. She traced his long, recently shaped sideburns in exchange.

"I thought this was what men wore to go courting."

Marie chuckled giddily.

"This is a tad daring for somewhat who is still courting."

Logan tightened his grip on her waist and moved his hand down her long white streaks to the edge of her light summer dress. He smiled at the color. Peach.

"I never cared much for rules."

Loving how she colored down to her chest, Logan leaned over and kissed her again. Marie pulled him closer by the neck and moaned slightly. Logan's hand opened and spread over her breast. Gasping at the intense familiar heat that ran through her, Marie arched into his touch. Logan moved down to her neck, his lips moving more urgently past the soft flesh he craved. It had been too long. But the papers that crinkled in his vest when Marie slipped her hand into his shirt reminded him of what he had gotten all dressed up for in the first place. Logan spoke between kisses to her neck.

"Marie I…I have…something…that I have… to tell you."

Marie `mm-hmmed' and continued to feel along the outlines of his chest. He grinned at how hard he got when she brushed past his nipple. Figuring he could tell her later, Logan squeezed down on her breast and found her mouth again. They kissed fervently until they heard a gasp that Raven identified as `Kit-teee'.

Marie stumbled from Logan's lap and fluttered a hand to her chest.

"Umm, Katherine, you remember Logan."

Logan stood too, not really looking at Kitty when he muttered a good evening. Kitty looked at Marie's flustered expression and almost squeaked in excitement. She was confident he would come back, but she had no idea it would be so soon. An idea occurred to her and she beamed at the couple.

"Should I tell father you'll be seeing him?"

Marie's eyes got huge, but to her surprise, Logan spoke up from where he was trying to hide by the railing.

"Yes, I wish to speak to him."

Marie turned to stare at him but couldn't see his face which was partially hidden by the shadows. Kitty clapped excitedly and gave Marie a smacking kiss on the forehead before fluttering off. Logan chuckled nervously when the petite girl closed the door behind herself and practically screamed for St. John down the hallways.

"Umm, you don't have to……"

Logan stood up and straightened out a little. Marie looked positively mortified.

"Hey, I'm courting remember?"

Marie smiled and fiddled with her hands. Logan stepped forward and withdrew the folded parchment he had in his inner vest pocket. He coughed to clear his throat.

"This is a deed Marie Elizabeth."

Marie's eyes widened. He had never called her that before. Even though curiosity was killing her, she had not wanted to ask, but use of both names insured that he was ready to tell.

"I've been up north to the colonies, where I had an old friend who kept my fight winnings."

He shifted his weight to lean against the porch rail.

"With all the business trumping up between Puerto Nuevo and the mainland, I figured I could make a good living for us running supplies and folk between the two."

Marie raised an eyebrow with a smile. Logan extended a hand and Marie stepped into his embrace. She took the parchment and looked at it in the dark.

"You bought a ship?"

Logan chuckled at her incredulity, and clasped his hands behind her back.

"Eternidad."

Marie scrunched her forehead, going through the Spanish she knew.

"Eternity?"

Logan nodded and kissed Marie's cheek. She thought for a minute before looking up.

"But you'll be gone so often."

He shook his head and cupped her face.

"The mainland is only two days away and I want you coming with me."

Marie looked down at the parchment in her hand. The idea of being on the ocean every few days somehow appealed to her. Some freedom and she was still with her family. Logan watched her think things over. He wanted her to love the idea. It meant the world to him.

"When can I see it?"

A smile spread across both their faces. Logan closed the space between them and kissed her tenderly.

"Your family's waiting."

Marie wrapped her arms around Logan and pressed a kiss to his chest, above his heart.

"Are you sure?"

"First thing remember?"

Marie smiled against the chest she loved.

"It might take a while longer."

Logan kissed the top of her head, savoring the lingering perfume in her hair.

"Well, not if Bobby hustles quick tomorrow morning."

Marie snapped her head up.

"Tomorrow?"

Logan grinned knowingly and planted a kiss on her parted lips.

"First I meet your father, tell him we have another Xavier on the way and then we stop over at Father Wagner's church and then you get to see the Eternidad. Finish your voyage right."

Marie blinked back the tears she hadn't spilt in weeks. Her love for Logan overwhelmed her and she reached up to kiss him again. The hand at her hip gravitated to her stomach. Their child.

"That sounds wonderful."

Feeling the same encompassing love, Logan smiled.

"I said first thing and I meant it darling. I love you."

"I know, and I love you."

Logan kissed her hand before sliding his arm easily across her back to settle on her waist. Felt so good to hear those words. And the corset he felt under the thin dress felt pretty good too. He raised an eyebrow at her.

"So afterwards we do a little catching up?"

Marie smiled up at him as they walked inside. Logan loved it when she blushed.

"Of course. But first things first."

Marie stopped and looked up. Logan followed her gaze and gasped at the giant frame in the foyer. Marie leaned on his shoulder and admired the painting with him, knowing that everything they had gone through, everything they had endured was all made right by that singular moment. They were happy and they would never be apart again.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1346