Details by Dark Ferrett
Summary: Rogue's precarious new absorption inadvertently brings Mystique to the Mansion.
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Mommy Dearest
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 15638 Read: 2521 Published: 01/13/2001 Updated: 01/13/2001

1. Chapter 1 by Dark Ferrett

Chapter 1 by Dark Ferrett
Author's Notes:
Please read the first part so that you could better understand this one. For all of you nit-pickers out there, there's one slight plot contradiction with part one, if you catch it forgive me. If you don't, do not fret, it does nothing to the overall story. For those of you unfamiliar with my work, I jumble all the 'verses, consider yourself warned. Acknowledgement: This one's for Chastity. I love your reviews and I promise to make a cool character out of your name in the next one.
Marie gripped the round brush tightly as she stroked Dewberry's side. Working long arcs into his chestnut hide, Marie explained excitedly what had happened on her impromptu weekend getaway. Occasionally snorting and twitching his ears, Dewberry listened and stared at his caretaker with the serene wisdom found in the dark black eyes of an old horse.

In the year and a half that Marie had been at the Mansion, Dewberry had quickly become her favorite. None of her new friends understood why she spent so many hours talking to what they called a dumb animal, but Marie was a country girl at heart and Dewberry filled a need no one else did.

The one thing that Marie absolutely loved about the foster home she lived in, in Mississippi, was the horse farm down the road. The strong, majestic animals called to her and Marie made it her business to befriend the owners and learn everything there was to know about horses. Mourning the separation from her mother, Marie threw herself into caring for horses as a way to forget and heal. At the tender age of fourteen she was made the stable manager's assistant and spent four summers working there with the owners' grandson, Cody.

Afraid to talk to anyone about the blue-skinned mutant that she considered her mother, Marie turned to her horses for friendship. They listened without judgement and in long bareback rides with her hair flapping wildly in the wind, Marie gradually found happiness again. She never forgot her mother, but biding time until she got old enough to go North and find her, Marie allowed herself the simple joys that any typical girl would have.

But like always, destiny intervened when least expected. When Marie's powers manifested and she almost killed Cody with a kiss, she had to leave behind everything and run. Sneaking into the stables late at night, she stoked all her charges with gloved hands and cried inconsolably into their long manes. They looked on in quiet understanding, like horses always do, and Marie left her only true friends with bitter regret in her heart. Among her hastily packed belongings crammed into her army duffel was a picture Cody had taken of her barefoot and in cut-offs on her favorite horse. She was a deep brown chestnut color just like Dewberry and she listened best.

It was actually Bobby that had found out about Marie's equine obsession first. In her notebook, Marie had sketched a picture of a horse in full gallop, with it's tail fully extended in the wind. It was a drawing she worked on whenever lectures got too boring and her mind wandered. Noticing it and asking if she had seen the stables yet, Bobby was surprised to see Marie just pick up and leave right in the middle of Beast's biology class. Running into Scott in the hallway, Marie demanded to see the horses. Still harboring some of Logan's way with words from their run-in with Magneto at the Statue of Liberty, Scott took her without saying a word.

Running into the stables, Rogue looked around at the dozen or so horses in awe. Completely ignoring Scott's objections, Marie scampered onto one that was already saddled and took off. It had been almost a year since Marie left Mississippi, but riding him was like remembering how to breathe.

Marie slipped her feet into the stirrups and clasped the reigns in her gloved hands. Squeezing with her thighs so that she hovered an inch off the tanned saddle, she took him around the outdoor track and ripped through the green lawns. Feeling the tug of her green cloak at her neck, Marie unbuttoned it and shrugged it off, letting her hair go wild in the dewy spring morning. Classes ended abruptly as students and teachers alike, came outside to watch the new girl tear through the grounds like the wind on horseback. Even Xavier came out to watch and that very same afternoon Marie was placed in charge of the stables and found a new home.

Marie took the responsibility to heart and although she could never ride barefoot and carefree like she once did, she rode almost every day without fail. They only horse too old to be ridden was Dewberry of course, so Marie spent extra time grooming and washing him to compensate for her time with the others. Walking him quietly every afternoon to exercise his stiff joints, she began to talk to him like she did as a child with her other horses back in Mississippi. She felt incredibly silly at first because she had made so many friends at the Mansion, but there were two things she couldn't talk to anyone about.

The first involved the mother no one knew about and the second involved the man she had fallen in love with. Deep down inside Marie knew that no body would understand or approve about Logan and she was too afraid to even mention Mystique. They were two secrets that were eating away at her, and prompted by Dewberry's quiet attention, Marie poured her soul out to him on the matter.

After dinner, Marie would sneak out to the stalls while everyone else her age watched television. Lying on fresh, aromatic hay, Marie would read Dewberry her diary and tell him about her secret weekly visits to see Mystique in New York City. In the morning, she would tell him about the dreams she had about Logan the night before and on their afternoon walks, she would tell him the latest gossip at the Mansion, about the different horses back in Mississippi and the many trophies she had left behind when she ran. Dewberry listened through it all and flinging her arms around his neck at the end of the day, Marie felt at ease knowing that he was there. But she also knew that he was fading fast.



Laying her head on Dewberry's side, Marie listened to the irregular thumping of his heart. It was something she did every night. Moving to the far side of the stable, she brought out two blankets and placed them over his back. Picking up the two giant black metal hooks hanging on a center beam, Marie then walked over to where the bales of hay were kept. Impaling the block at both ends, she hoisted it up effortlessly and brought it to Dewberry's stall. Skillfully slashing it open with one swipe, Marie spread the hay around the stall, plugging in any draft she could find.

Xavier kept the best stables she had ever seen, but it was a hard winter and Dewberry was an old horse. He loved to eat fresh clovers out of the ground and Marie prayed every night that he would live to see just one more summer. Giving him a final pat with an ache in her chest, Marie bundled up and headed back to the Mansion with tears in her eyes.



Looking up from where he was dumping clothes haphazardly into a drawer, Logan followed Marie with his eyes. They had just gotten back from Upstate a few hours ago. After he had found her sleeping in that hotel room and she had told him everything, they had called Xavier and stayed the night. They eventually stood the whole weekend, living off room service, watching B movies on Cable and making love.

Heading back on Logan's bike on Sunday afternoon, they made it to the Mansion in just under four hours. After a quick meeting with the X-Men, where Marie told them in detail about her tie to Mystique, she went to see her horses and Logan started moving his things into Marie's room. Smelling the salt in her tears, Logan walked into the bathroom after her.

"Somethin' wrong babe?"

Marie put the hot water on and continued to undress without looking over at him.

"It's Dewberry."

Leaning against the sink Logan sighed in relief, but then immediately felt guilty.

"What about him?"

Sitting on the edge of the tub, Marie tugged at one sock and then the other. Reversing them into a ball, she flung them at the hamper in the corner. Finally looking up at Logan she sighed heavily.

"He's not well."

Nodding in agreement, Logan thought about the skinny horse Marie loved so much. He didn't know an awful lot about horses, but even he could tell that Dewberry was not going to be around for much longer. She had a picture taped up on the mirror of when she was younger with a similar horse. She had never spoken about it, but it was right next to one with all of her friends at Graduation, and another one of them sparing in the Danger Room that Jean had taken. The three pictures were definitely important to her. For the fourth time in as many days, Logan wondered just how come he knew so little about the woman he loved. Pursing his lips, he vowed to ask sometime soon and then smiled at a thought.

"That horse could smell you coming a mile away."

Not expecting that particular commentary, Marie smiled regretfully.

"Especially when Ah have carrots."

Taking off her long gloves, Marie wiped at the fresh tears with the back of her hand and stood up. Still chuckling himself, Logan embraced her and brushed her cheek with his finger. He had taken to wearing gloves all the time. He wasn't sure at what point it became a permanent habit, but he was seldom gloveless anymore. He had tons of them. It was a very small thing to do in exchange for being able to touch Marie whenever he felt the urge. The gloves simply became second nature.

"He'll be fine."

Pulling back, Marie smiled. Dewberry was stronger than he looked. He might definitely live to see another summer. The steam in the room was building and Logan cleared his throat. Moments like that he was tempted to see just how far his healing factor could go, but Marie didn't like to take chances in the shower. She stepped back and reached to remove her bra. Logan turned around. Fussing with the assortment of products by the sink, he was hit with a pink lacy undergarment on the side of the head and smiled.

"Did you get ahll yer things, sugah?"

Untangling a pink strap from his ear, Logan thought about his decision to move in with Marie. Two years ago, he never would have thought it possible that he, 'The Wolverine', would be living in a room that had about a dozen throw pillows and housed teddy bears. Numerous teddy bears.

"Yeah, 'cept for my books and some shoes it's all here, just gotta find space for it."

Catching the sarcasm, Marie peeled back the shower curtain,

"Hey, there's space, just hafta move some things around."

Huffing in disbelief, Logan pointed at the products lining the sink,

"Do you really think I could fit a toothbrush in this crowded m..."

Turning around, Logan unwillingly let his eyes travel down Marie's soapy body. Forgetting his train of thought, he grumbled. Smiling bashfully, Marie held out a poufy sponge,

"Do you wanna get my back, Logan?"

Wondering for the millionth time just how she managed to look so innocent when she said things like that, Logan growled a little louder, kicked off his boots, and stepped into the shower fully clothed. What good were healing factors if you didn't take risks?



Hair still damp, Marie looked around in her closet with a towel around her head and wondered when exactly she developed a scarf fetish. Pausing for a moment, she concluded that it was Logan. He had a scarf fetish. Moving to hang Logan's shirts on three inches of rod space and then realizing it would never work, Marie flung them to the bed again and moved to sort which of her jeans had to go.

Smiling to herself, Marie thought back to the weekend they spent together. Logan woke her up at four in the morning on Saturday to tell her he loved her. Just like that, out of the blue. Tired and hazy, she muttered that she loved him too and went right back to sleep. It wasn't until the next day that she remembered what she had done. It was something, she dreamed of telling him, but not quite the way it happened. Needless to say, she was more than a little embarrassed. Logan teased her relentlessly about it all day.

Bending over to pick up the growing bundle of clothes on the floor, Marie almost dropped them again when she turned around at a knock. Chasity was at her door trailing a purple puff of smoke.

"Hi Rogue."

Swallowing deeply, Chasity bit her lip and fussed with a blond curl in nervous anticipation. Rogue seethed at the sight of her, but remembering the promise she made to Scott earlier, she ignored her and dumped the clothes on her bed. Marie had planned on avoiding her for a few days, but Chasity surprised her by showing up first.

"Ah don't have anythang ta say ta you."

Ignoring the statement, Chasity fell into her rehearsed lines in her sweetest voice,

"Rogue, I never meant to..."

Marie dropped the jeans she was folding into a plastic bag and turned to face Chasity. Clamping her mouth shut in mid-sentence and taking two steps back, Chasity stared wide-eyed at Marie. Her accent was really thick when she was angry.

"Listen up Chasity, cause Ah'm only sayin' it once. You stay outa my way, that means my thangs, my man and my personal business. Ah'm tryin my hardest not ta rip that phony yellow hair outa your head, so do yoself ah favah and stay outa my business you conniving slut!"

Narrowing her eyes in calculating coldness, Chasity ground her teeth together. Behind her in the hallway, Jubilee giggled. Turning around and shooting a deadly glare at Marie's friends then looking back again to Marie's unmoving expression, Chasity huffed in exasperated defeat and left in silence. The one thing she hated most was being laughed at, especially by Jubilee and Kitty, but she was not stupid. Chasity could pick her battles.

Rolling her eyes as she passed Chasity, Jubilee made her way to Marie's bed and plopped down on it.

"You should've knocked that little ho through the wall, Rogue."

Marie smirked, "Ah wanted to, but Ah promised Scott Ah wouldn't."

The normally timid Kitty pushed a pile of clothes to the side and stretched out next to Jubilee.

"You should've anyway."

Both Marie and Jubilee looked at the petite girl in surprise. Kitty shifted uncomfortably,

"What? I'm sick of her shaking her ass at Bobby."

Jubilee meowed and made a hissing noise while Marie resumed folding the clothes she was giving her friends.

"Flirtin' is ah fine science with that gal."

Kitty elbowed Jubilee to make he stop meowing and smiled at Marie.

"Forget her, tell us about your new roommate."

Immediately remembering the secondary objective of their trek down the hallway, Jubilee sat up and clapped her hands eagerly.

"Yes, tell us everything. Details, Rogue, details!"

Rogue grinned and regarded her friends with feigned disapproval.

"Ah lady doesn't kiss an tell."

Kitty looked disappointed but Jubilee just looked more determined.

"Oh, please, it's us, your best friends, we still haven't forgiven you for sneaking around A WHOLE MONTH before telling us about the two of you!"

Kitty nodded with a pout in wide-eyed agreement,

"Yeah, and even then we found out, you didn't tell us."

Marie stuffed the last pair of jeans into the bag and shook her head at her friends. When she explained to the X-Men about Mystique earlier, Kitty and Jubilee had been the first ones to get up and hug her. She wondered what it was that kept her from ever telling them in the first place. She should have known that they would never react with the same fear and resentment that the folks back home had. Shamed at how badly she had underestimated them, Marie relented.

"Ah don't stand ah chance when you guys double team me."

Giggling in unison with Kitty, Jubilee gasped,

"Duh!! That's why we do it."

Finding a place among the mess of clothes and hangers on the bed, Marie told them in greater detail about her and Logan's decision to move in together. The things she couldn't mention with the others around. She herself wasn't entirely sure at what point they had decided, but Kitty and Jubilee listened in rapt attention. Though they giggled a whole lot more than Dewberry, Marie even told them about her mother. When Logan came up after watching the game with Scott, it was already past eleven and the room was no closer to being fixed.



Noticing him first, Jubilee scrambled to her feet and grinned.

"Hi Logan."

Barely nodding, Logan sauntered in with a grumble while the girls abruptly stopped laughing and quickly headed for the door.

"Night Rogue."

Kitty limped out with only one slipper and Jubilee silently made kissing faces. Handing them the bags of clothes they came to get three hours ago, Marie closed the door behind them and turned to face Logan with a smile. He was eyeing the mess of clothes still on the bed.

"Why do I get the feeling you were laughing at me."

Marie shrugged.

"Maybe because we were."

Logan kicked his boots off and started to peel off his shirts.

"Kids."

Resisting the urge to just watch him, Marie turned around and continued to hang things up. Logan watched her instead.

"Were you with Scott, sugah?"

The red underwear Marie was wearing under her Rangers jersey peeked out whenever she reached over to the shelves above her head. Hypnotized by the curves they clung to, Logan came up from behind and embraced her. Marie leaned back into him slightly, but didn't stop working.

"It's kinda nice ta see you getting along with him and all."

Breathing in the hair he had washed earlier, Logan 'mm-hmmed' and slid his gloved hands down her hips. Pausing where the hem of the oversized jersey met her thighs, Logan reversed the direction his hands were going and didn't stop until he hooked the thin red bikini straps with his fingers

"You two have so much in common, it's 'bout time you tried ta ..."

Feeling his fingers press down into her underwear, Marie went to turn around but was met by resistance. Logan held her in place and continued his careful exploration with suede-covered fingers. In silence, he touched her until a snikt and a tug freed her from the red scrap of fabric completely. Not able to reciprocate from her vantage point, Marie closed her eyes and decided to guide his hands over her instead. Savoring in the rhythmic movement of his hands and the feel of him pressed tight and straining against her back, Marie moaned as she slowly inched towards release. But it never came.

In the last possible moment, Logan removed his hands and spun her around to face him. Eyes fluttering open, Marie looked up at Logan who deftly brought her down to the pile of clothes still on the floor. Grabbing a silk scarf hanging off a doorknob, Logan smiled devilishly at Marie's flustered expression. His most primal side wanted her to scream out his name. He wouldn't stop until she did. Panting wildly, Marie frowned that he was deliberately taking so long, but then braced for the impending oral assault when he pried her legs open and finally finished what he had started.



Having long moved from the heap of clothes on the floor to the heap of clothes on the bed, Logan looked down at Marie lying on his favorite flannel shirts. Half wrapped in yards of gauzy fabric, she had fallen asleep right afterwards. But there was no way he could sleep with a hanger jabbing at his back. Shaking his head in annoyance, Logan got up. The hardest part about sharing a room with someone was the inherent lack of closet space.

Scratching his head, Logan opted for the direct approach and tossed everything to the floor. Picking up a tight little dress he had never seen before, Logan looked down at Marie sleeping and tossed it to the side making a mental note to shred it later. Cautiously moving Marie over to his side, he cleared the rest of the bed next and finally covered her with a blanket. Settling in next to her, Logan reached under the pillow to get comfortable when he felt cool metal. Instantly knowing what it was, he drew it out and carefully studied it in the filtered moonlight.

Prying the locket open with his thumb fingernail, Logan let a conflict of emotions wash over him. Part of him seethed at the remembrance of the scars that healed too quick from his encounters with Mystique. The other part ached at the thought that he wanted to hurt the one tie Marie still had to her past. Closing it with a slow squeeze of his fingers, Logan closed his eyes and felt along the intricate engraving that covered the small oval piece of gold.

Opening his eyes again, Logan looked at the woman next to him. Marie's chest moved up and down in deep breaths. Logan choked back the familiar guilt that always racked him when he saw her sleeping. She was so young and he was so old. That was actually the first thought that occurred to him when he saw Marie for the first time across a run-down bar up in Canada. Logan had caught her scent the minute she walked into that dump because it stood out like nothing else. It called to him, but seeing her wide brown eyes, only one thought registered: she was so young and he was so old.

After all was said and done, he left or rather he fought the urge to stay with the strength of that one thought. He reminded himself of it that day, the next and many more, but it was always a futile effort. The day he was willing to die for her on the Statue of Liberty, the day he decided to return, the day he told her he loved her. Those days won out and they were inevitably drawn to each other no matter what.

Two years later, Marie's eyes were green and full of the knowledge that came with several lifetimes including his own. Even Scott had relented to their relationship, barely protesting earlier despite everything there was to protest over. Untangling Marie's chain from his hand and letting it pool into a glimmering pile on the pillow, Logan let his hatred for Mystique dull into tolerance. He loved Marie and she loved her mother. The guilt that saturated him in still moments would never abate that. Thinking better, Logan took the locket from the pillow and placed it in Marie's hand. Closing his eyes, he welcomed a dreamless sleep.



Marie woke up with the feel of suede brushing her cheek. Smiling hazily, she moved to catch his hand when she noticed the locket tangled in her fingers. Temporarily panicked, Marie sat up and stared at Logan who twitched a smile. Placing a finger on her lips, Logan swallowed.

"It's been a week."

Reminding herself that her visits to see her mother were not a secret anymore, Marie nodded slowly.

"Ah week."

Getting up and side-stepping the pile of clothes still on the floor, Logan left for his morning run. Marie stood in bed a little longer, clutching at her chest and trying to quell the fear reaction that had instinctively rose in her. He must have found it under her pillow. Having done so much to hide her secret from Logan for so long, Marie wondered just how she was supposed to go about things now. She knew that Logan couldn't stomach the woman she called mother, but she would try and make it work. After all, Marie couldn't bare the thought of not seeing her. Mystique needed her and she could not deny her mother any more than she could Logan.



It was after lunch when Marie left for New York City. It was an absolute horror to take a car into Manhattan, so she flew as far as the MetroNorth station in White Plains and took the train the rest of the way. It was faster to fly, but Marie wanted to go during the day while Logan was away with Beast and it was too risky to fly in broad daylight.

Arriving uptown just as it was beginning to snow again, Marie went up out of the underground train station in the same brisk step as everyone else. Stepping onto a corner she hailed a yellow cab. Still staring at the slushy snow trailing down the window twenty minutes later, Marie wondered if Mystique would be at her apartment. She wasn't expected until after dinner, but Marie was anxious to return home before Logan. Despite the X-Men's blessing, she couldn't flaunt her trips with an easy conscience.

Jarred out of her thoughts by a sudden stop as her cab cut someone off and ate a light, Marie noticed the sereneness of a very frigid Central Park East. Digging in her purse, she took out a twenty and stuffed it into the slot of the plexi-glass divide. Marie waited for her change, tipped the driver and stepped onto the sidewalk. Smiling warmly at the doorman and chatting briefly with the elevator attendant, Marie fought the nervousness that always fell into her stomach as she approached the penthouse suite. For over a year, she came to Mystique's apartment praying that her mother was there and not in jail somewhere. So far she had been incredibly lucky, but their luck had run out.



Knocking on the door, Marie waited patiently and wondered why she hadn't called first. Shifting her weight from one foot to the other, Marie was about to knock again when she heard something glass break inside. Controlled panic took over her mind and in less than three seconds, Marie kicked down the door and entered the apartment.

Mystique looked up from where she was tied and gagged on the floor. A tall man in black burglar's garb with blazing eyes stood over her with a device in one hand and the other muffling Mystique's mouth. A vase was shattered next to her. A second man with purplish hair was halfway to the front door with another of the same devices. All three stared at Marie in shock when the door fell over.

"Get away from her you fuckin' ahssholes!!"

Flying straight to his chest, Marie knocked the first guy to the ground before he could react. The second, still holding down Mystique, shot a bolt of blue light at Marie. Calling upon every technique Logan ever taught her, Marie jerked sideways in time to avoid it. Hitting the far wall, the bolt dispersed into sparkles of bright light.

"I see your little bitch came early!! Perhaps she could tell us where it's hidden."

Falling over the guy she knocked out, Marie looked down and punched him hard enough to fragment his jaw. Deftly moving out of the way of a second blast, Marie dove behind a sofa. All round her, sparkles of light bounded off the furniture as the tall man kept firing without pause. Spotting her black bag across the room, by the door, Marie regretted taking off her communicator. She'd have to go it alone this time.

"What tha hell are you talkin' about!!"

The tall man chuckled between firing. His British accent was no longer muffled as he tore off his face mask and threw it to the floor.

"The chip!! Where is it?!"

Mystique mumbled something and Marie wondered why she just hadn't morphed out of her binds. The attacker responded by kicking the blue mutant in the stomach. The tall man sneered.

"Shut up!! If she doesn't know, I'll dispose of her as well!"

"Don't hurt her!!"

Spurred on with a renewed burst of adrenaline, Marie got a hold of the sofa she was ducking behind and threw it at the tall man with the burning eyes. Completely unprepared, he crashed into the kitchen under it's weight and Marie scrambled to her feet.

On the floor Mystique looked up warily and tried to shift from her blue form into something more pliable. Her blue scales shimmered different colors but the attempt failed. Running to the attacker as bits of drywall still hung in the air, Marie pushed the sofa into the dining area, but the tall man wasn't under it.

"What tha..."

Marie pitched forward as an electric jolt coursed through her body. Her scream of pain filled the room, urging Mystique to concentrated on morphing again to no avail. The tall man with the lit eyes had materialized in a blue blaze of light behind Marie. Not wanting to risk another attack, he zapped her again and Marie fell forward into the rubble.

Grabbing Marie by the hair, the attacker slammed her face into the crumbled drywall. Turning her around, he was surprised to see Marie still breathing, but they had warned him of her invincibility. Out of breath, he turned to face Mystique with an idea.

"A third blast would surely kill your little bitch. Now, are you going to talk, or am I going to have to gut her?"

Withdrawing a long knife from a sheath in his boot, the tall man with burning eyes grinned at Mystique. She nodded with a hateful look and he straightened up triumphantly. Dropping the knife to his side, the tall man stepped over Marie's body to go take off Mystique's gag.

"That's much better my dear, all y..."

Marie had opened her eyes and kicked with all her might at the intruder's legs. He tumbled forward but not the way she expected. Her massive strength was gone. The device must have neutralized her powers. It was why her mother was still unable to shift bodies. Temporarily confused, Marie did not see the tall man respond by bringing his foot down on her hand. Marie whimpered instead of screamed.

"Why can't you just die!!!"

Pinning her down, the tall man brought the knife high above his head. Feeling to her side with her free hand and finding the broken leg of the sofa, Marie intercepted the blade inches from her chest. Using the same leverage, she connected her right fist with the side of his head. For once in a long time, the contact hurt Marie as well, but quickly regrouping, she landed the broken wooden leg on his head again.

Screaming out in pain, the attacker held his bleeding ear. Not willing to see him regain his advantage, Marie went to strike him again and remove his weapon, but her assailant dematerialized in a dazzling blue shimmer of blue light. Panting and weak, Marie scrambled to her feet.

"Where did..."

In the living room, Mystique had partial view of the struggle in the kitchen and tried to yell through her gag. Still out of it, Marie held out to the counter for balance. Hearing the muffled warning, she turned just as the tall man reappeared behind her. He lunged at her with the knife, but Marie caught his hand with a jujitsu move. Straining with all her might, Marie skillfully turned the knife into him. With terror in his eyes, the tall man watched as the blade edge trembled precariously over his heart. The haughty confidence in his voice was gone.

"Nooo!!!"

Both Marie and her attacker summoned all of their strength to counter-move the knife. Taking two direct hits had seriously disabled Marie, but she felt her powers slowly returning to her. Tightening her pinch on the space between his thumb and forefinger, Marie made her attacker gasp in pain. The knife tip inched forward and pressed into the black fabric over his heart.

Feeling the blade's pressure, the tall man called upon his mutant ability to transform himself into energy. He could not dematerialize while in contact with another person, but closing his eyes he channeled one final burst of blinding blue energy towards Marie in hopes of shocking her. But the effort was too little, too late. Just as the knife pierced his chest, a dazzling blue light enveloped them both.

Ironically, the energy worked as a catalyst to Marie's powers instead of negating them any further. She gasped as her abilities returned. Held in place for a moment, both Marie and the tall man hovered inches over the kitchen floor, before tumbling back down when the light suddenly died out. Falling over Marie limply, the tall man's head lolled onto hers as she lay immobile from the electric shock. Feeling his sticky blood drip onto her neck, Marie whined as she began to feel the power of the transfer open up.



In the living room, Mystique felt the intruder's final jolt of energy through the floor. Panicked, she closed her eyes one last time and concentrated with all her might. She never cried, but with tears in her yellow eyes Mystique managed to stretch her hands out after several minutes, enough to slip them out of their binds. Weakened and practically powerless, Mystique crawled to the kitchen to pull the tall man off of Marie.

"Marie!! Marie!!"

Mystique shook her daughter furiously and pulled her to her lap. Her tears were leaving clean trails on the drying blood on Marie's face.

Eyelids fluttering, Marie coughed, "Momma."

Relieved Mystique shushed her, "Don't talk, don't talk, I gotta think honey."

Sobering up, Mystique looked around. Moving to the utensils stretched out on the kitchen floor, she took a steak knife and cut the binds on her legs. Standing up with an enormous headache, Mystique considered the mess they were in.

Marie needed serious help but going to a hospital was trouble, the cops were going to show up soon and the underground butchers she knew would all eventually leak to Magneto that she was seen with an X-Men. It was unsettling enough that they had known. They must have been watching Marie and her for some time to come in like they did. Cold vindictiveness cut through Mystique and enraged, she kicked at the body on the kitchen floor.

"There's going to be hell to pay!"

Jarred to life by Mystique's action, Marie laughed with the new personality in her head.

"Look what your little bitch did, I hope she dies for your treachery Mystique."

Breaking into peals of laughter, Marie enjoyed the thought of her own death.

Mystique looked down at her daughter in sudden terror. The normally drawled out Southern accent was now a lilting British one. Holding onto the edge of a counter, Mystique clutched at her chest as Marie laughed in the deep guttural voice not her own. In near panic, Mystique stumbled to where Marie dropped her bag in the living room. Riffling through it in search of something, anything, she cried out when she found a pen-like communicator. Clicking it on, she called out to the only people she knew could help.



Logan eyed Mystique stroking Marie's hand with latex gloves on. Her scent made his claws itch right under the surface, but his concern for Marie kept him in check. Marie was feverish and mumbling things in alternating personalities. The effects of the power-neutralizing weapon were almost non-existent, but she was banged up and the effects of the transfer seemed to have mentally usurped the other personalities in her head.

It had been almost a half-hour since Xavier summoned Beast and him. Logan was furious that he already dispatched a team without him, but understood why when he saw Mystique unboard the jet. They both perked up at the sight of each other, but having already sliced and diced some choice pieces of furniture while he waited, Logan held back in silence.

Refusing any medical help for herself, Mystique rubbed her raw wrists and glowered at the assembled X-Men awaiting the arrival. Despite the orders to stay away, the younger X-Men had found a way to be on the launch pad to keep an eye on the sworn enemy in their midst. Fielding hostile looks, Mystique nodded at Xavier and silently walked by Marie's prone form to the labs where Beast was waiting. Marie was temporarily channeling Magneto, so she held her mother's hand and preached nonsensical philosophies in a grandiose manner. Logan went to move to her side but one look from Marie briefly magnetized him in place.

Keeping his distance, while she switched through personalities like you can with channels, Logan watched regretfully as Marie was bandaged, checked, and tested under Mystique's watchful, untrusting eye. She magnetized most of Jean's tools and growled menacingly at Beast a few times, but was too disoriented to be dangerous. When the testing was over, Xavier moved forward to tranquilize her mind. Successfully putting Marie into a more pliable semi-sleep he turned to the two persons busy hating each other across the room.

"Now that Rogue has been stabilized, I propose that we meet in private Mystique."

Curling her lip in a distrusting smirk, Mystique nodded and stood up still rubbing her sore wrists. She felt completely unnerved in her present setting, but she knew that Xavier was an honorable man. Magneto spoke about him endlessly and if he trusted him so could she. But she was not going to make it that easy for the rest of them. Standing up, Mystique slinked slowly over to Xavier, placed a blue hand on his wheelchair and responded with a cat like purr.

"As you wish Charles."

Beast and Jean frowned in unison and Logan protested with a growl,

"Professor..."

"Mystique is our guest Logan, we are just going to chat."

Giving all three worried X-Men a reassuring glance, Xavier turned around to wheel away. Having waited patiently for Logan to break their quiet stand-off, Mystique took her chance to goad her hated enemy. Capable of some shifting again, she changed into Jean's shape and smirked in sugary agreement,

"It'll be alright Wol-ver-ine. If I were here to make trouble, you'd be hurt already."

Releasing his claws with a grunt and a flash of his teeth, Logan went to move forward, but was held back by Beast's hand on his shoulder.

"Logan, no."

Walking out in her blue form again, Mystique huffed and followed Xavier into the hallway. The minute the doors closed behind them, Logan pushed out of Beast's reach and slashed at the metal tray next to him. The bandages and metal instruments rained on the floor with a loud clang.

"Why does he allow her in here?"

Jean bravely ventured forth as she hovered the instruments to a table.

"She's her mother. If it weren't for her, Marie would be in serious trouble..."

Logan interrupted with clenched teeth.

"How sure are you, it wasn't her fault, Jean?"

Temporarily silenced, Jean looked deep into Logan's tortured eyes.

"Please Logan, for Rogue."

Riffling his hair, Logan ground his teeth and side stepped the doctor. Stomping over to Marie, he gently picked up her hand and tried to ignore the smell of Mystique surrounding her. Recognizing the feel of brushed suede, Marie fluttered her eyelashes and tried to open her heavy eyes.

"Shhh. Don't open your eyes. Just relax darling."

Visibly relieved at the sound of Logan's voice, Marie smiled and drifted off again.

"Ah love you mamma."

Caught off guard, Logan froze in place - unsure of what to do.

"But your little bitch must go, just for killing me."

Now completely chilled to the bone, Logan stepped back at the deep British voice coming from Marie. Looking over at Beast and Jean he caught similar expressions on their face. They had seen all of Marie's varied personalities surface, but this one was completely unfamiliar. Hurrying a little faster, the two doctors began attaching small electrodes to Marie's face and scalp. Logan stepped back with a foreboding sense in his heart. Jean turned to face him and saw his intentions clearly.

"I'll go with you."

Without taking his eyes off of Marie, Logan nodded and started out the door. He and Jean arrived at Xavier's office a few moments later. Barging in, Logan pointed at Mystique with bubbling anger.

"Who is he!"

Standing up, Mystique circled the sofa she was seating on and inched her way towards Xavier. In response, Logan circled closer too. Sensing the volatility of the situation, Xavier quickly interjected.

"That was the attacker, James Douglas, a mutant member of an underground mob syndicate. Rogue inadvertently...absorbed him."

Jean's eyes widened. She stared incredulously at Mystique.

"Why didn't you say so before! You said they touched, not that she absorbed him!"

Even more panicked at seeing Jean's unnaturally panicked reaction, Logan unsheathed his claws.

"What the fuck is the difference?! What did you do!!"

Bristling at Logan's proximity, Mystique's scales shimmered as she huddled in closer to Xavier's side. A brief moment of vulnerable guilt crossed her features.

"It wasn't my fault, fur-ball! They collapsed on each other! I pulled them apart!!"

Logan was too furious to care anymore. Closing in even more, he spit out the words that he held inside for so long.

"She should have never gone. You're no good for her!!"

Laughing maniacally, Mystique emerged from her protective stance by Xavier and abandoned her moment of weakness. She would never allow her enemy to tell her she was not worthy.

"Like you're one to talk fur-ball. I should gut you for laying your filthy paws on her!! She deserves a man, not an animal!!"

Finally choosing a shape to change into, Mystique growled as she grew twice as large into the hulking form of Sabretooth. Panicked, Jean darted her eyes nervously to Xavier who watched the scene unfold with a furrowed brow. Seeing his archenemy emerge, Logan leaped forward with claws readied. But his charge never connected.

Jean had telepathically froze Logan in mid-air. Sabretooth was also immobile and as Xavier unhinged the mechanism in Mystique's brain to alter her shape, she gradually and unwillingly shrank back to her blue form. Straining against the invisible restraints, both Logan and Mystique grimaced and struggled until a sudden burst of psychic energy set them both in opposite directions of the room. Their struggling ceased when Xavier and Jean looked at each other.

"Oh my god."

Scrambling out the office, Jean ran down the hallway. Xavier regarded the now unrestrained enemies.

"You must but this aside. Come, we must hurry."

Wheeling away after Jean, Xavier left Logan and Mystique staring at each other in confusion and panic. Choosing to postpone the stand off for another time, they scrambled to their feet and ran after the telepath.

Bursting into the med-labs first, Logan stood in shock at the sight of so much blood on the white floors. Marie was sprawled out on an exam table as Beast and Jean were trying to stabilize her. There was a thin, shiny scalpel plunged deep into the side of Marie's neck and the blood was practically gushing out of her. Bone claws were still in the process of receding back into her knuckles. Behind him, Xavier and Mystique stopped short also. Letting out a shriek, Mystique went to Marie's side but seeing the inordinate amount of blood, stood back in shock.

Not able to look away, Logan watched in morbid horror as Beast and Jean frantically cut away Marie's shirt, connected her to IVs and tried to put a clamp on the gushing artery. Beast had three long slash marks across his furry bicep. They didn't look too threatening, but the fur around them was thick and coagulating with blood. The two doctors were yelling and screaming in medical jargon and in a hazy mindset only one thought emerged from Logan's overwhelmed mind.

"She's dying."

Feeling Xavier's hand grip his forearm, he looked down as that thought led to the next natural one in progression.

"Let me touch her."

Xavier slowly shook his head.

"Another transfer will damage her mind for sure."

Tightening his grip on Logan's arm, he added,

"They'll do their best."

Knowing that they were prepping Marie for surgery, Xavier utilized his considerable powers to tear both Logan and Mystique away from Marie and lead them into the lounge. Seating them on opposite far sides like squabbling children, he sighed deeply and entwined his slender fingers under his chin.

"We must wait. The surgery will take hours."

Blinking in numb agreement Mystique sniffled and slunk into her seat. Unable to stomach the sight of her and his feelings of overwhelming guilt, Logan buried his head in his hands. Xavier closed his eyes and concentrating on reassuring the doctors in the OR.

Overwhelmed by the silence, Logan eventually popped his claws and started pacing in the small room. For a while, his heavy footsteps were all that could be heard.

"Why don't you sit your ass down, fur ball?"

Twirling around, Logan pointed one claw at Mystique.

"You shut the hell up before..."

Standing up, Mystique's blue scales shimmered.

"Before what?"

Grimacing Logan and Mystique took a step towards each other when they were suddenly tossed back into their chairs across the small room.

"Enough."

Staring at Xavier, Logan snorted and Mystique gasped. It was a rare thing to see Xavier this ruffled.

"If you both truly cared for Marie like you claim, you would cease this childish behavior and work on a truce for the time being."

Eyeing Mystique distrustfully, Logan was the first to speak,

"It's all her fault."

Indignant, Mystique narrowed her yellow eyes and retorted,

"I'm getting tired of telling you that it wasn't my fault!!"

The two rivals stood up again, but this time Xavier didn't stop them. They expected him to, but he laughed instead. Shocked and a little dismayed, Logan and Mystique looked at him coldly. The laughter died out as suddenly as it began. It was replaced by genuine anger.

"Go on, finish each other off!! The last time she did it without you, she'll just do it again!!"

Swallowing hard, Mystique plopped down again and Logan glared before doing the same. He could never recall seeing Xavier this angry before.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

Logan's voice was full of panic and Mystique blinked back her tears. Looking from one to the other, Xavier cleared his throat and entwined his fingers again. He hated to lose control, but there was no going back now. The opportunity to have these two sitting down with him again was practically non-existent, so he might as well reveal all.

"A month after you left to go north Logan, Rogue had an encounter with Carol Danvers."

Shifting uncomfortably Logan mumbled,

"Yeah, I know."

"What you don't know is how difficult a time she had afterwards. The incident with Carol was an absorption. Rogue has touched dozens of people, like you Logan, but those were all momentary transfers. She keeps a little bit of the personality and in mutants their power, for a short time but that is all. In an absorption, the person dies and Rogue takes their personality for good. With Carol she gained her strength and ability to fly, but it came at a very steep price."

Taking a deep breath, Xavier trudged on,

"Carol took control of her mind for some time and she was very angry at Rogue for effectively killing her. We watched her as best we could in the med-lab, but Rogue would try and hurt herself as often as possible. Carol wanted to settle the score and Rogue came close on two separate occasions. One day she took a large dose of painkillers and on a separate occasion she tried to hang herself."

Gasping, Mystique let a whimper escape her. Logan just stared at Xavier. Tears threatened to betray him.

"That's not true, she would have told me."

"Would she?"

Silenced, Logan's mind swirled. Secrets. Too many secrets. Xavier pointed at him.

"You left and didn't bother to contact her for over a year and you were still too busy hating everything and everyone to bother with her. Have either of you ever asked?"

Logan and Mystique looked at each other. It felt odd to be placed in the same category.

"It took some time to get Carol to withdraw and Rogue to emerge again. This new absorption has obviously had similar effects. When I took a look into her mind, I saw that Douglas was angry, but I didn't think he was strong enough to hurt her. This is something that I hoped would never happen again."

Unclasping his hands, Xavier thought about the girl being worked on in a room not that far from where he was. He had severely underestimated the Douglas's influence in Marie's psyche. Looking up at Mystique crying silently Xavier warily placed a gentle hand on hers. Logan clenched his jaw in frustration.

"Will she be able to push this guy out of her mind?"

"Yes, I believe so, Carol was much stronger than Douglas, but..." Xavier searched for the words, "he has done some serious damage."

Finally feeling the tears wet his eyelashes, Logan stalked out of the room. He needed to be alone. Stomping through the metal-lined hallways of the sub-Mansion, Logan withdrew and retracted his claws slowly, just to feel his skin rip. The pain seared up his arms but it did nothing to quell the ache in his chest. Marie had attempted suicide two times without him knowing. Three times, including today. Defeated, Logan shuffled into the elevator and leaned his head on the cool metal over the panel buttons.

How could he have not known?

The day Logan returned to the Mansion, he waltzed into the living room unannounced. Marie had a sofa high over her head as one of her friends crawled on the floor looking for something she had obviously lost. Dropping his duffel, Logan cursed out loud and Marie looked over and did the same. Luckily the girl had phased through the sofa in time to avoid being flattened. Running to hug him, Marie muttered a quick explanation about new powers. Amazed, Logan accepted the fact without asking any questions. He never asked, she never offered.

Cursing his stupidity, Logan banged his head on the elevator panel, leaving a sizable dent and stormed off to his room. Without thinking he walked to the door and opened it. Only when he stepped inside did he realize that it wasn't his room any longer. Looking at the empty shelves and neatly made bed, Logan remembered that he had moved in with Marie the day before. And now she was dying.

Slamming the door in anger Logan walked a little further and pushed another door open. It was a similar room to his old one, but her signatures were unmistakable. Details. Scarves draped everywhere, a stuffed bear on the bed, throw pillows, and an insane amount of CDs stacked neatly by the stereo that sat like a shrine on her bookcase. Their intermingled scents were already infused into everything. When Logan left that morning, it was still chaos in the room, with things everywhere, but now everything was in perfect order and deadly still.

Walking slowly to the dresser, Logan ran his hands over her trinkets. What took a little longer to register were his things intermingled with hers. His cologne, his cigar box, his copy of Homer's works. Smiling to himself, Logan's attention was drawn to the numerous little boxes littering the space. Opening a round porcelain one with fat angels painted on it, he stared at the delicate rings inside that he never recalled seeing her wear. Details. Replacing the cover, Logan kept looking. The next thing he noticed was a fat round drop falling on a little crystal horse. Touching his face and looking up, Logan caught his rumpled expression in the mirror. He had never actually seen himself cry.

Unable to look at himself, Logan's sight shifted. Beside his face were three photographs. One with Marie on a horse, one with them sparring in the Danger Room and one of her at Graduation. Draped over the mirror edge and the photos were his dogtags. The one thing he had left her. Sighing deeply, Logan picked up the Graduation photo and looked at all the happy faces in matching caps and gowns. Logan remembered that Marie had graduated a few weeks after he left. Scanning the photo for her face in the crowd of rambunctious teenagers, he spotted her off to a corner.

He frowned when he noticed the Cajun next to her with his arm around her shoulder. But the frown deepened when he looked closer. Marie was smiling, but not the sincere smile that brightened up a room. It was a tight smile she used to hide how she really felt. Looking even closer, Logan saw the ugly red slash of a rope burn across her neck marring the otherwise pale skin. It was partially hidden by her gown, but still clearly visible in the bright sunshine.

Slamming his fist down on the dresser hard enough to topple some bottles, Logan dropped the photo and closed his eyes tight. He was so upset that no one told him that Marie had tried to hang herself and yet it was staring him in the face all this time. Collapsing on the bed, Logan agonized - so many secrets.

Logan wallowed in bitterness until he felt a presence in the room. Normally his senses alerted him before they even knock, but in his grieved state, Logan was too numb to notice. Opening his eyes, he focused his vision on Chasity.



By now Scott and Storm had returned from clearing things up in New York City. Rumors were already circulating among the students and teachers, so they called a meeting together to briefly explain why Mystique was at the Mansion and why Rogue was hurt. Jubilee and Kitty were allowed to go and wait with the Professor. Chasity listened quietly in the back. This was the opportunity she needed.



"I just heard about Marie and I am so sorry."

Sitting up, Logan sought for something polite to say, but gave up and just looked down. He really wanted to avoid the girl, but she looked upset and sounded sincere. Extending a hand, Chasity smiled weakly,

"I brought you a brew, you must feel awful."

Logan took it in silence and drank it down in almost one shot. Still sighing mournfully, Chasity opened hers and gave it to him as well. Logan eyed it skeptically and eventually took it too.

"Why are you up here?"

Settling on the bed next to him, Chasity looked down at her hands in feigned sorrow and pouted.

"I know you don't trust me. It's just that..."

Chasity placed a hand on Logan's arm. He stopped drinking and looked over at her without moving his head.

"I feel so guilty. Rogue and I were not the best of friends, but I feel so terrible about what's happened..."

Bottom lip quivering, Chasity buried her head into Logan's shoulder and sobbed in a muffled voice.

"I just had to tell you how sorry I was."

Slipping her arms around Logan Chasity held on, expecting a comforting embrace at least. Logan caught her by the arms and pulled her back instead. He looked at Chasity sniffling with an intense look before opening his mouth.

"You smell like bullshit."

Caught in the middle of a sniff, Chasity let her mouth hang open. Logan just stared straight at her. He moved in a little closer and for a moment she felt that he was going to kiss her, but he sniffed and pulled back.

"Yup, bullshit."

Furious, Chasity wrenched her arms from Logan and stood up. Her features were twisted in rancor.

"Get your hands off me before I scream."

Logan huffed in disbelief.

"Go ahead, scream."

Not sure how to react, Chasity turned and disappeared in a purple haze of smoke. Logan snorted and tossed the empty can he was holding through the remaining smoke.

"Tramp."

It hit the wall and landed on the dark green rug. Closing his eyes again, Logan fell back into the bed with his hands under his head. The room still smelled of hairspray and bleach so Logan groaned and buried his face in a pillow. Letting the scent of Marie wash over him, he reached under it to get comfortable.

Like the previous night, he bumped across the familiar tangle of Marie's gold locket. Taking it out, Logan examined it without opening it. He recalled what he had told Marie the last time he saw it. He had told her to go and see her mother. Feeling like a hypocrite, Logan looked across the room. His eyes rested on the framed picture of Marie as a baby with her real mother. He hadn't seen it since their little weekend getaway. It was Mystique that had given it to her. Appealing to his better senses, Logan stood up, straightened out, and headed downstairs to the sublevels where he belonged.



The waiting game in the lounge had grown to include Storm, Cyclops, Xavier, Kitty, and Jubilee. Everyone looked up when Logan walked in and walked over to Mystique who had assumed a more conformist shape. He quirked an eyebrow at the faint memory that he had seen it before, but he was not there to fight. Opening his hand, Logan poured the chain that was coiled in it to Mystique's outstretched fingers. They didn't look at each other or say a word, but everyone understood what it meant. A truce had been drawn for the time being and everyone settled in as the waiting game continued.

An hour later, Beast walked in with a bandaged arm and a weary expression. Everyone sat up and looked at him expectantly. He patted Storm on the shoulder before beginning. Logan could smell the anxiety coming off him in waves. He tightened his grip on the object in his hand.

"We were successful in stopping the bleeding and repairing the puncture to Rogue's arteries. She is in a coma and has lost a significant amount of blood."

Not wanting to wait any longer, Logan spoke out.

"Will she wake up?"

Shifting slightly, Beast pushed up his glasses just as Jean appeared. They exchanged looks.

"There is an eighty percent chance she will not wake up on her own."

In the corner, Kitty and Jubilee hugged each other. Mystique rippled and stood up, but Jean quickly added,

"What we think is that she might have a good chance with The Professor's intervention."

Looking over, Xavier nodded in complete understanding.

"Yes, yes of course. If Rogue can trigger Logan's personality in her mind, his healing factor will emerge and help cure her."

Everyone looked pleadingly over at Logan who just turned to the doctors.

"Will it work?"

Beast shrugged his huge shoulders.

"It's worth trying. A direct contact will be too risky for her mental condition, but if we use what's left of Logan in her, it might work."

Almost forgotten, Mystique interrupted from her place in the far corner.

"Can we see her?"

Jean looked at her sympathetically.

"Yes you can, but she does not look very well."

Mystique nodded in understanding and followed with the rest. By the time they reached Marie, who was intubated and on life support in the recovery room, Mystique had assumed her blue form again. Because Logan carried no germs or diseases, he was the only one allowed to touch her. Taking Marie's hand softly in his, Logan kissed it without touching her skin and pressed the small crystal horse he was holding into her palm. Behind him, Xavier regarded his most tumultuous X-Men with concern.

"She did it once, she can do it again."

Clasping a hand on his mentor's shoulder, Logan offered his support.

"I trust you."

Xavier nodded and wheeled up to Marie in silence. Taking his place at her side, he closed his eyes and proceeded to venture into Marie's chaotic mind.



Leaving the Mansion, Logan headed straight for the place that Marie always turned to when she was upset or distressed. Opening the stable doors, he let the aroma of fresh hay fill him. He had worked on plenty of farms in rural Canada in the summers so he knew a thing or two about animals. Going from horse to horse, he stopped when he recognized the oldest.

"Hey Dewberry, I'm standing in today, but she'll be back soon."

The old horse snorted in response. Logan looked around, deciding what to do first. Noticing the brushes hanging on the beams, he took them and proceeded to groom old Dewberry first. He had forgotten the grace and beauty of these animals and lost in the repetitive nature of the work, he thought about Marie. Logan worked until very late that night when the only ones awake at the Mansion were Xavier and Mystique in Marie's recovery room.

Picking up the can crumpled on the floor and throwing it out, Logan stepped into the shower. He normally took only ten minutes, but stopping to open and smell every shampoo and lotion bottle lining the bathroom niches, Logan indulged his memories with his senses. When he finally arrived at the recovery room, Logan found Mystique asleep in yet another foreign shape on the far side of the room. Xavier was nowhere to be seen and for the first time since she was brought in, Logan was alone with Marie. Walking over to where she lay in a slew of beeping machines, Logan buried his face on the rumpled sheet by her waist.

"Miss you, darling."

Logan reached into his jean pocket and took out his dogtags. Marie's neck was heavily bandaged, so he twirled the chain around her wrist instead. The tags hung like a charm and recalling his other token, he opened her hand with his gloved ones to find the little glass horse still there. Smiling, he closed her hand again and went to put a stray lock of white hair behind her ear. It took all of his will power not to go ahead and just touch her, but the last thing he wanted to do was confuse her mind even more. Logan traced the outline of Marie's jawline when he heard Mystique move. He straightened out, but didn't turn to face her.

"Do you love her?"

Logan snorted in sarcasm. He gave her points for being direct.

"More than anything."

Logan turned around to face the stranger in the corner and crossed his arms. He had told Marie that he loved her but nobody else. He knew it would eventually make it's way to the X-Men, but he never expected to be telling Mystique. Unable to say anything else, they each digested the confession in silence. Mystique had watched Logan since he had walked in and she knew that it was true. She figured one of the girls had put the little glass horse in Marie's hand, but never suspected the Wolverine.

"I see."

Shimmering into the shape she had been earlier, Mystique shifted her gaze to Marie's still face in the dim light. Realization hitting him all at once, Logan finally put a finger on who the face was. Earlier he had recognized it vaguely, but now he was sure of where he had seen it before.

"Why do you take her mother's form?"

Mystique smirked in surprise.

"So you've seen it. I was under the impression it was all a secret."

"It was, but not anymore."

Mystique studied the man in front of her. Logan raised an eyebrow prompting for a response. She figured he had offered a little something and so she might as well too.

"When Sarah died, Marie was only four. She took it very hard. Marie shut down completely and eventually got sick. She understood my power and one day she begged that I look like her. Marie was not eating at the time, and I was so desperate."

Mystique paused.

"So I did it, and it made her well again. Marie understood it was me but over time it became a habit. Whenever she got sick, Sarah would always help."

Logan reassessed the cold-hearted woman he had always hated. For the first time ever, he secretly wondered what it was that made Mystique into what she was today. Forgoing that thought for another day, Logan found his usual place by the wall and continued the waiting game across from Marie's mother. Wrapping herself in her sweater a little tighter, Mystique also waited and planned.



Before daybreak, the waiting game finally came to an end. Logan was in the realm between sleeping and consciousness when his sensitive hearing caught the familiar jingle of his dogtags. Bolting upright he looked over at Marie who was stirring among the tangle of tubes and wires.

"Marie."

The word was barely a murmur, but it was enough to wake up Mystique. She leaped up and ran to the opposite side of the bed.

"Baby, you're awake!"

Marie moved her head slightly and moaned. Mystique looked up at Logan and together they let out a smile. The ugly scrape on Marie's forehead from when Douglas slammed her head on the floor was sealing up. Coughing and sputtering, Marie tried to sit up. She wanted to get rid of the tubes in her mouth. Not wasting a second, Logan stared to tearing off the hosing and tubes she was connected to. He looked wildly at Mystique.

"Tap that button on the wall and tell Jean and Xavier to get their asses down here quick!"

Mystique quickly did as she was told. On the bed, Marie opened her eyes and finally sat up.

"What the fuck is going on?"

Despite the raspy voice, the tone was unmistakable. Mystique clasped her hands together and Logan just grinned. The puncture marks on Marie's arms were sealing up virtually in seconds. Marie wrenched her hand from Logan's grasp.

"I said, what the fuck is going on?"

Beast, Scott and Jean showed up in robes at the door. Xavier quickly followed. All smiled at Marie's amazing transformation from comatose to pissed off in only a day. Mystique was crying. Swinging her legs to the side, Marie quirked one eyebrow in typical Logan fashion and promptly proceeded to challenge the apparent alpha male. Grabbing a grinning Logan by the collar she brought him up to her face.

"You wanna get outa my way bub?"

Logan put up his hands in surrender.

"Hey, I just wanted to show you something."

Quirking her other eyebrow, Marie sniffed without letting go.

"What?"

Bringing her hand up between them Logan gently and slowly opened it. Inside was the little glass horse. Marie stared at it for an eternity, while everybody in the room held their breath in nervous anticipation. Marie blinked a few times and finally let go of Logan's collar. Sensing her confusion, Xavier quickly wheeled forward and silenced Marie with his thoughts.

"Rogue successfully reached her inner Logan, but there is still work to be done to bring out Marie."

He turned to look at Logan.

"She needs time."

"Whatever it takes, Professor."

Logan reached a hand to cradle Marie's neck. Her perfectly unmarred neck. Closing her hand around the horse again, he stepped back. Mystique looked anxious but pleased. Jean and Beast immediately moved to Marie's side and started fussing with tools and monitors. Marie just sat in eerie silence.

"In a coma, her personalities were all asleep. I searched until yours emerged and apparently it did what it had to. But she is still confused. With some more probing, I assure you that she'll be fine."

Still unsure, Mystique looked at Logan for guidance. He glanced over at Marie sitting stiffly at the bed. Beast and Jean were finishing up. They shared a look that spoke volumes. Medical volumes.

"She appears to be good as new. There is nothing physically wrong with her."

Relieved Scott sighed.

"Then we should leave the Professor to work. It's already morning, we can go and he'll call if anything."

Looking at the two members that needed the most convincing, Scott waited. Slowly Mystique slinked towards him and Logan eventually relented too. Turning to the Professor he sent him unspoken words of gratitude. The doors closing behind them, Xavier closed his eyes and started to probe into Marie's mind. Out in the corridor, Jean hugged Logan fiercely and he actually smiled.

"She'll be well soon, you'll see."

Logan was about to thank her, but he noticed Mystique had fallen behind. Turning around, all four X-Men stared at the blue woman. She looked anxious.

"I'll wait here."

Scott went to protest but Jean spoke up first. She understood Mystique's reluctance to be seen. She was there for one reason alone and it was all that mattered.

"I'll bring something down for you."

Without saying a word, Mystique nodded and went into the lounge again. She was prepared to do many things, but having breakfast with the X-Men was not one of them. Resuming the waiting game, she snuggled into a chair and continued planning. She was lost in her scheming when a shrill voice called outside for Logan. Almost immediately afterwards, Chasity bounced into the room.

"Uh... Hi Logan."

Logan just smiled and ran his eyes down her almost nonexistent outfight.

Encouraged, Chasity sat by him and pouted for all her life was worth.

"I just wanted to tell you how sorry I was about yesterday."

Logan raised an eyebrow like he had seen Marie do minutes before.

"I was so upset about this whole thing and I know you were too."

Pressing a finger to his chest for emphasis, Chasity looked up and licked her red lips.

"I just couldn't bear the thought of you being mad at me."

Eyes sparkling, Chasity spoke a little slower. Logan never spoke much anyway.

"You probably don't know this, but I really care for you. I know it's wrong, but I just had to tell you."

Leaning over slightly, Chasity fluttered her eyelashes. Logan smiled and turned to face her. Not wanting to lose the opportunity, Chasity moved in closer and gave Logan a kiss on the cheek. Moving back to gauge his reaction, she was pleased to see him grin. Triumphantly, Chasity wrapped her arms around him and leaned into him again. She was lost in a deep kiss when out of nowhere, she felt teeth.

"Owww!!"

Stumbling back, Chasity held a hand to her mouth. She was bleeding pretty badly from her lip and it was staining her white top.

"What did you do that for?"

Logan grinned and finally spoke up.

"You're lucky you still have lips."

Forgetting the throbbing from her lower lip, Chasity staggered to her feet. On the sofa, Logan shimmered for a moment before becoming blue.

"You, you!"

Mystique laughed out loud.

"I see that even Xavier has a few in the bunch."

Hating the feeling of being laughed at, Chasity's features turned ugly again.

"Shut the hell up you lesbian bitch!"

Stopping in mid-laugh, Mystique hulked into an enormous bear-like form.

"Care to repeat that?"

In awe, Chasity shrieked and stepped back from the nine-foot monster. To her great luck, Jean opened the door at that very same instant.

"What's going on?"

Mystique looked over at Jean in complete wide-eyed innocence and shrugged. Putting the tray down, Jean went to see why Chasity was bleeding, but the girl scurried out of the room with lightning speed. Turning again to see Mystique smirking, Jean involuntarily let a slow grin escape her.

"She can get annoy..."

Jean paused suddenly and closed her eyes. Mystique came up to her expectantly.

"She's awake."



Marie focused her vision on the shiny glass object in her hands. It was the thing that Xavier's voice in her head alluded to. She looked over at the wise old telepath in the wheelchair and smiled. He had asked of her a very simple question.

--What is this?--

The response had taken her relatively little time to devise. It was Dewberry. And it was her horse. She was Marie with white streaks in her hair and gloves covering her hands. For a moment, there was a faint tug in Marie's mind. Just now she had dogtags. They belonged to her also. She was Logan, who loved cigars and had claws in her hands. But they were gone right now. She was Marie who loved to fly in the rain and ride horses in the morning.

"Do you remember what happened?"

"Yeah, Ah absorbed him."

Marie thought about the tall man with the burning eyes. He was given away as a child. He recognized Eric in her head. He loved to cut people. Touching her neck where the previous night she had plunged a scalpel in vengeful anger, Marie closed her eyes and repeated the mantras that helped banish him to the depths of her psyche.

"He is ah part of me. A small part. Deep inside."

"Very good Rogue. You have done well. Now you will wake up and you will remember all."

Marie blinked twice and looked at Xavier again. Hopping off the bed, she slumped to the floor and flung her arms around the man who brought her back from schizophrenic insanity.

"Thank you."

Xavier pet Marie for a moment.

"They waited for you. They have tried very hard."

Sniffling, Marie wiped at her eyes. Reluctantly, she lifted her face from Xavier's robes. She loved him, and not just because she was Eric with the numbers etched in her arm, but because he knew her well and still loved her despite everything he'd seen inside her.

"Ah know. Ah heard them when Ah was sleeping."

Standing up again, Marie straightened out. A few seconds later, Mystique and Jean showed up.

"Momma."

Marie embraced her mother. For a minute their dark brown hair intermingled and became one. Logan showed up a few seconds later. Marie tensed up on reflex, but Mystique just let go and stepped to the side. Logan embraced her next and lifted her clear off the floor.

"I missed you."

Marie hung like a rag doll from his embrace.

"Me too."

Slightly red, Marie pulled back and turned to face Mystique's quirked expression.

"Momma, this is Logan."

Both Logan and Mystique shook hands in embarrassed silence. Marie beamed and then broke the silence with a very honest,

"Ah'm starving."



A short time later, Marie was enjoying the sun shining through the glass ceiling in the private breakfast atrium with her mother. Sipping on orange juice, she caught her mother's disapproving look.

"That's the third croissant you've had Marie."

Marie continued to chew her food with vigor.

"You promised - no naggin'."

Mystique rolled her eyes and fiddled with her napkin. Marie noticed a forlorn expression cross her face. No matter what face she put on, Mystique always chewed her bottom lip when anxious.

"What are ya planning, Momma?"

Caught daydreaming, Mystique frowned.

"You know what I must do."

Marie stopped chewing.

"Let us help you. Xavier has resources, he can..."

"I can't. It's not that I'm ungrateful, I've been welcomed here and that was more than I thought possible, but you know very well where my allegiances lie."

Tossing her half-eaten croissant on her side plate, Marie looked at her mother.

"Is that chip really worth dying for?"

Mystique crossed her legs and huffed.

"It's much more complicated than that, Marie. I am responsible for it."

Noting the disappointed look on her daughter's face, she added with anger and vindictiveness in her voice.

"And I have to send a message to the syndicate that I am not afraid. What happened in New York was a mistake. I broke my own rules for staying in one place for so long. It was stupid of me and you paid the price."

Squinting out over the morning sun, Mystique looked at the frozen gardens outside to disguise her guilt. After a minute of painful silence, she started again in a much calmer voice.

"I have to leave for a while. It's just something I have to do baby, but I'll visit in a few months. By then, I should be done."

Shaking her head, Marie refused to accept her explanation. The food in her stomach threatened to turn against her.

"You can't Momma, they'll get ta you sooner or later! Magneto is in jail and he has little influence from there. Why can't ya just tell me what you're involved in? Ah could help you, if not tha X-Men, just me then."

Mystique looked at Marie sadly. No matter what, their meetings always ended up on the same note. But for the first time, she was not going to ask her daughter to come with her. Mystique had glimpsed into Marie's life with Xavier's people and her daughter was in better hands than she could ever hope for as a mother. She would never want Marie to join her again.

"We agreed a while back 'don't ask, don't tell' remember?"

Marie nodded in defeat. There was no point in arguing when Mystique set a goal.

"Yes, Momma, we agreed."

"Besides, you have a good situation here. This Xavier guy is exactly what Magneto said he was. You've found a real home and Sarah would be pleased at that. Plus, you have people that care for you."

Mystique smiled weakly. Marie caught her meaning and blushed into her orange juice.

"Though you could've told your mother you were shacked up - at least."

Marie opened her eyes wide and blushed even deeper. Putting the glass down, she twirled a spoon in circles into her cereal. She really didn't think it was possible to be discussing her relationship to Logan with her mother.

"Ma, it's not like that."

Smoothing her napkin out again, Mystique mentally berated herself. She could never have imagined Marie with the fur-ball. Mystique frowned and tossed in her obligatory snide remark.

"Well, you could've done worse. I suppose fur-ball has his points."

Marie bit her tongue. That remark was as close to a blessing as she was going to get from her mother. Sipping her coffee, Mystique sighed at Marie's habit of blushing. She was certain the girl would blush for the rest of her life. Sarah did it too.

"One piece of advice though, watch that Chasity chick. She put the moves on me when you were still in the recovery room."

As expected, Marie's jaw hit the table. Mystique was pleased to see the blush was gone.

"She what?"

"She thought I was Logan and she kissed me."

"That little slut! Ah warned her ta back off!"

Mystique giggled at the memory.

"I almost gave her a heart attack."

Furious, Marie crossed her arms.

"It's not funny Momma, Ah'm so sick of her."

Still chortling, Mystique looked at her watch.

"Apparently you're not the only one."

Marie lost all interest in hating Chasity when she saw Mystique note the time.

"Do ya really have ta go this fast? No one would ever suspect you're here. It's safe."

Mystique looked at Marie sadly.

"I have things to care of. I'll call every five days, I promise."

Pushing back her chair, Marie went to hug the shape that always comforted her when she was ill. The one that had the same color hair she had.

"I'll miss seeing you. Ah'm so sorry about everything."

Mystique hugged her tighter.

"Are you kidding me? You saved my life kiddo. I'm the one that should be saying sorry."

"Please be careful Momma."

Mystique sniffed and pulled back.

"I'll lay low, promise. I wrote a letter for Xavier. Please give it to him."

Marie looked down at the plain white envelope and nodded. She couldn't shake the feeling that her mother was going to go on a serious rampage against the syndicate. She feared for them as much as she feared for her.

"Ah love you. Please stay."

Mystique gave her a quick kiss on top of the head and added in a strained voice.

"I love you too Marie. I would stay with you except... I can't deny who I really am."

Shimmering briefly, Mystique adopted another shape and turned to walk away. Reaching the door to the atrium, she turned to face Marie who was crying softly.

"You're the only thing I've ever done right Marie. The only thing. Please know that and forgive me."



Marie sat in the atrium for what seemed like an eternity. After regaining her composure, she stood up and grabbing the envelope and the tiny glass horse perched on a butter dish, headed for Xavier's office. Blindly walking through the corridors without looking up, she came to her destination and knocked softly on the door. Realizing that no one was present, Marie wedged the white envelope in the door jam and turned to go find Logan.

Walking in the same manner she had been before, Marie made it the elevator and pressed in the 3rd floor. Running a finger over the concave dent over the panel that she hadn't noticed before, Marie leaned back against the wall as the tone that signaled the closing of the elevator doors sounded. They were almost closed, when a hand suddenly intercepted and Chasity bounced in. She was about to go see Scott and accuse Mystique of hitting her. Marie noticed the nasty gash in her bottom lip and animosity filled her.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

Taking a half-second to assess whether or not this was really Rogue or her shape-shifting mother, Chasity decided that either one would be bad news. Welping, she went to step off the elevator again before the doors closed, but Marie had her by the arm and had pulled her back in. Marie growled. The Logan in her was dormant, but as his student in Fighting Class, it was inevitable to pick up a few of his mannerisms. Chasity hit the back of the elevator with a thud.

"What do you want skunk head?"

Still standing by the elevator panel, Marie tapped on the 'close door' button.

"We gotta talk, sugah."

Placing the x ring she wore as part of the X-Men into a small slot in the panel, Rogue spoke out in a loud voice.

"Computer override feature, Rogue 2936, lock unit in place."

Pressed into the back, Chasity's eyes bugged out as the elevator ground to a halt mid way between the 1st and 2nd floors

"What the hell is wrong with you, you psycho bitch! You just locked us in!"

Rogue put her hands on her hips.

"It seems you didn't understand our last conversation too well."

Realizing that Marie must have spoken to her mother, Chasity inched around to the other side of the elevator. Getting stuck in a 10X10 box alone with Rogue was not in her plans.

"Oh, I remember it very well. You and your little twittering friends were laughing at me. It's no secret how jealous they are."

Marie snorted and counteracted Chasity's movements by moving in the opposite direction.

"Did ahll that bleach seep into your skull Chasity? You're tha one that can't seem ta keep her hands off anyone with a Y chromosome around this place. Which reminds me, what exactly did you think you were doing by kissing my man yesterday?"

Chasity chortled.

"Is that what Mommy Dearest told you? Did she mention that we were only finishing what we had started up in your room."

Caught off guard, Marie stopped short. Getting the exact hurt reaction she had wanted, Chasity giggled brightly. The small elevator cube was gradually filling with purple smoke and Marie coughed in response.

"Oh yes, me and your man were sharing an intimate moment. Did you really think he could keep away when all you could give him is some dry humping between hole-y sheets?"

"You fucking..."

Infuriated, Marie stepped forward with her fists ready, but Chasity moved quickly in the thickening smoke. Sneaking behind her, Chasity kicked Marie in the lower back. She was not taking chances in touching Marie's bare skin.

"I don't think so trailer trash!!"

Hitting the floor and denting it with her outline, Marie growled in frustration and scampered to her feet. She could vaguely see Chasity in the cloud of smoke.

"Rather be trailer trash than an ex-porn queen."

Mouth hanging open, Chasity glowered.

"I was an actress!!"

"If that's what you want ta call it, fine by me!"

Marie charged and ended up punching a hole in the elevator shell when Chasity vanished in smoke again. Marie pulled her fist out of the hole and turned in time to catch a fist heading straight for her stomach. Watching Marie pull back her own fist to reiterate the sentiment, Chasity pleaded. The hole in the three-inch thick metal wall reminded her of a very handy rule.

"House rules, if you use your power against a fellow student, you get kicked out!"

Pausing in mid motion, Marie considered the situation. It was a rule set in stone and Chasity was not worth it. But looking down at Chasity's smug, satisfied smile, she grinned.

"You're raght, no powers."

Marie finished the punch without her super strength and Chasity fell on her ass with a busted nose. Not wasting a minute, Marie caught the blond between her legs and kept punching. Chasity hollered and brought her legs up to circle Marie's neck.

"You pathetic, skunk head loser!"

Stopping her assault, Marie clawed at the strong thighs crushing her neck. Chasity squeezed tighter. Somehow managing to turn her head slightly and with as much energy as she could muster, Marie bit down on Chasity's jean covered leg.

"Ahhggg!!!!"

Chasity let go immediately and Marie stood up coughing. Chasity tried to do the same, but Marie caught her with an upperhook and she went down again.

"You'll stay down if you know what's good fer you!"

Chasity spit out blood. Her lip was busted again.

"No way, trailer trash!!"

She stood up and lunged. Marie twirled around to avoid her and caught her with a left hook. She was bouncing lightly on her feet.

"Stay down Chasity."

Unrelenting, Chasity tried to stagger to her feet again. This time Marie caught her with a blow to the stomach. She doubled over on her knees.

"Stay down Chasity."

Still not willing to relinquish defeat, Chasity pounded her fist into the floor

"Nooo!!"

To Marie's complete surprise, Chasity turned into smoke again and vanished. Marie looked around frantically in the thick haze, but eventually was caught off guard by a punch to her right kidney. Wincing, Marie reached behind herself and flipped Chasity over her back. The girl landed like a sack of potatoes on the floor again.

"Stay down Chasity."

Groaning, Chasity tried to turn over but Marie placed her foot over her stomach. It was really quite obvious she had had enough. She was not going to hurt the girl any further.

"Stay down."

Chasity didn't try and get up, but she whined instead.

"I'm going straight to Xavier, you broke my nose!!"

Marie shook her head in disbelief. She was inadvertently glowing with a bright blue light. The air cackled with electricity as she charged up.

"You really are stupid. He's a psychic dumbass, and he'll kick you out for starting trouble the minute he lays eyes on you."

Chasity was about to respond, but she just stared at Marie in horror. In the hazy smoke, the bright blue light gave Marie an awesome aura. Noticing it, Marie smirked.

"If you know what's good for you Chasity, you'd stay down."

Marie walked over to the control panel. Fitting her x-ring into the panel she spoke up.

"Computer override feature, Rogue 2936, release unit, 3rd floor."

The elevator jarred to life and in a few seconds, the doors opened to the third floor. The purple smoke that filled the small space swooshed out. Marie smoothed out her hair and walked out without saying another word. When the doors closed, she heard Chasity whining and kicking in frustration. Oh well.



Looking down at her glowing self, Marie smiled. Clasping her hands together, she withdrew them slowly to form a string of glowing blue light between her palms.

"Whatdaya know."

Closing her hands until the blue light disappeared, Marie thought back to the horrible month she spent trying to learn how to fly. Storm had practically given up on her before she finally got it. Sighing deeply, Marie wondered if her friendships with Remy and Jubilee could stand up to this one. Reaching her door, Marie walked into her room and smiled bashfully. She was still glowing and Logan looked shocked from where he was reading.

"Is glowing in the dark your new power?"

Marie shrugged.

"That's part of it. Ah can blast electricity or something."

Logan huffed from where he was sitting. With Marie adding electrical powers to her roster, his healing factor would come in handy.

"I see you had a talk with Chasity."

Marie smirked and went to the dresser mirror to assess the damage. Messy hair, bruised neck, pain in her side. Nothing a good sparring match didn't give her. The glow was almost completely gone. Pleased with herself, she turned to look at Logan who was approaching her.

"She kissed you."

Logan went pale and froze in place.

"No, she didn't."

Marie smiled.

"She kissed my mother looking like you."

Logan blinked a few times as his mind wrapped around what that meant.

"You look cute when you're confused, sugah."

Marie closed the space between them and hugged Logan tightly. He followed suit and they held each other for a while. It was the first time they were really alone since before the accident. Finally, Marie pulled back.

"Ah really appreciate you trying ta get along with my momma."

Logan leaned on the dresser edge and pulled Marie close to him. From this position, they were eye to eye to each other. Logan noticed the oval locket hanging on Marie's neck. It was twisted into itself. He started to straighten it out with his sueded fingers.

"She really loves you."

"Ah'm pretty lucky."

Successfully straightening out the locket, Logan traced Marie's collarbone out to the shoulder. Pausing at the area where she had plunged a scalpel into herself, Logan swallowed hard.

"Xavier told us about the other times."

Marie shifted and flustered under his touch.

"Ah...Ah didn't want ta bother you with all that stuff. It was ah long time ago an..."

Logan stopped her words with his finger on her lips.

"I don't want any more secrets Marie. Seeing you bleed all over that floor almost killed me."

Swallowing hard again, Logan smoothed back messy white strands off of Marie's face and tucked them behind her ear.

"Ah'm sorry sugah. It's kinda hard ta talk about that stuff."

"When you're ready, I'm listening."

Logan smiled and so did Marie. Then she stepped back suddenly. Digging into her jean pockets, she withdrew the little glass horse. Bringing it up to eye-level, she twisted it in the sunlight.

"Ah had forgotten Ah had this in my pocket."

Logan took it from her hands and looked at it intensely.

"Miracle you didn't break it in your little throw-down."

Marie smirked and punched Logan in the arm and resumed looking at the little trinket in awe.

"Ah guess it's stronger than it looks. Thanks for bringing it ta me."

"It was nothing darling."

Marie looked solemn again.

"It was a big something. The reason Ah woke up so quickly this time was because of this horse and the tags you put in my hand. With Carol it took weeks for me to find myself again. Xavier was relentless."

Marie held up the horse again.

"But this made me remember right away. Xavier asked me a very simple question. -What is this?- And tha answer was Dewberry. Marie's horse."

Smiling bashfully, Marie gushed.

"The same with the tags, that's why Ah healed so quick. It sounds simple, but it was really hard."

Logan kissed her lightly on the head and pulled her up.

"I know it was. Go thank him then."

Perking up, Marie's eyes blazed. Between saying goodbye to her mother, and the little episode with Chasity, she hadn't gone to see Dewberry yet. Setting the little glass horse back in it's spot on the dresser, Marie went to fetch her jacket. Throwing it on, she turned to Logan with a smile.

"It feels like weeks since Ah seen my baby."

Logan pulled a hat over Marie's eyes and frowned.

"I thought I was your baby."

Pausing as she wound a scarf around her neck, Marie quirked her eyebrows.

"Don't be jealous, sugah, you're a close second."

"Don't I know it."

Logan tried to look wounded and Marie laughed. Her laughter died down considerably when she saw Logan throw on his motorcycle jacket. He had never really gone to see her horses with her. It meant the world to her that he wanted to go now.

"What?"

Marie shook her head and looked down. She was too overwhelmed to talk.

"Nothin."

Logan smiled and hooked his arm around Marie's shoulder. There was a camera in his pocket and Logan wanted to take a picture of Marie doing what she loved best. It belonged with the three up on the mirror and he wanted to be the one to take it.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1343