First Day of School II: That Night by Wings
Summary: Rogue ponders her new life as a student, and her relationship with Wolverine inches forward.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1800 Read: 1735 Published: 07/23/2003 Updated: 07/23/2003

1. Chapter 1 by Wings

Chapter 1 by Wings
I know what they think. I know what everyone thinks. With the X-Men it's always push and pull: Push you into fighting evil, pull you back to do your homework. Push you into learning to handle a deadly mutation, pull you into a curfew, a normal teenage life. But as much as the Professor, and Scott, get on my nerves sometimes with their challenges and their caution, this time I am relieved.

Because Logan wants me. And God knows what I am going to do about it.

Today was my first day of community college. No Jubilee watching my back. No friendly teachers. Just a bunch of normal kids, leading normal lives, staring at the mutie in their midst. But after Magneto, and all those losers and watchers and takers on the road, I knew I could handle it. I didn't really want to, 'cuz it was scary, but Logan and the Professor believed in me and I didn't want to let them down.

And it was amazing. There's so much out there I didn't know. It was like the first time since my powers blossomed that I remembered I'm more than just a mis-channeled destiny in an envelope of poisonous skin. As I sat alone, eating the lunch that Logan had made for me (three steak sandwiches and a candy bar -- how did I ever give him the impression that I eat like a truck driver?? I mean come on, so the first time we met I was hungry, I hadn't eaten in days! I'm a girl with a healthy appetite but sometimes he's clueless. And adorable. But I digress....) I realized that I *am* an asset to the team, and not just because crazies want to exploit my power. It was thrilling, and I was so excited.

And then Logan arrived to pick me up with that sexy grin. And in his eyes, mixed with that irritating and protective concern, was desire. I felt it snake through me like the whisky he loves. I felt it everywhere. Um, yeah. Like, there.

And then we got home, and we were kidding around like normal, and then he said he wanted me. And of course I doubted it a little, but I want to believe him. Then Scott caught us kissing! I wanted to melt right into the floor. Scott's been my teacher and my friend and I know how he feels about Logan, and I didn't want to make him mad at Logan, or disappointed in me. Luckily Storm wanted to see me about an English essay, so I took the coward's way out and left Logan with a pissed-off looking Scott.

And when I got to Storm's office, I was in for another surprise.

"Rogue," she said, smiling. "Sit down."

"OK, but just for a second. Storm, you'll never believe it. I got to take a poetry class! Ah'm not gonna stop taking English with you guys, of course, but isn't that exciting! Oh and I get to take engineering and genetics and it's just -- "

"Rogue. That's wonderful, and I want to hear all about it. But first I need to talk to you. About Logan."

I got so nervous, my stomach clenched. All the good, shivery, scared and excited feelings from having Logan look at me that way vanished. Did she see me kissing Logan? Was she going to warn me away from him, in case I put him into a coma -- for the third time? Or was she going to laugh, and tell me Jean has his heart and I was doomed to disappointed puppy love. I could feel the blush taking over my face.

"What about Logan?"

"The Professor thinks that you have feelings for him. Is this true?" Storm's eyes were gentle, just like always. I couldn't lie, and there would be no point. She knew already.

"Yes."

"The Professor, and I, think that Logan also has feelings for you." My heart started beating so fast. I couldn't believe it. It was one thing to get carried away in the moment, an entirely different thing to hear it spoken aloud by Storm, my teacher, my friend.

"Do you disapprove?" I asked, trying to keep the tremor out of my voice. I wouldn't cry. I would handle it, I vowed to myself.

"No. I worry for you a little, and for Logan a little. Love is difficult, and the world we live in doesn't make it easier for either one of you." Wasn't that an understatement. Only if you call a whole bunch of psycho superheroes running around plotting evil and fascist interest groups trying to stamp and bag us minor teeny little obstacles. I nodded.

"And though you have been through more than most people see in two lifetimes, you are still a young woman." Storm continued.

"I know, but I know what I feel, and Logan wouldn't hurt me and you have to -"

"I know. Relax Rogue, it's OK. We do trust you both, but I wanted to talk to you about a few things. First, I just want to tell you that you can talk to me about anything. Second, I want to ask you to conduct your relationship with Logan responsibly, and according to the rules of the school." She arched her eyebrows at me, and I blushed. I hoped Storm didn't have any of those pesky empathic powers that so many around here seemed to possess, and hadn't divined my fantasies about Logan. I may not be able to touch in real life, but in my head, I had touched that man *everywhere.*

"Um, what do you mean, exactly?" I asked her.

"First, that you obey the rules about curfews and studying and safety that all the other students your age do."

I nodded eagerly.

"Second, and this is more personal, but I would ask you, not tell because you're a young woman and can make your own choices, but I would ask you to take things slowly with Logan."

I looked at her, confused. She rolled her eyes.

"Sex, Rogue."

"Oh, oh, ah, um, Ah see."

"You have been through so much, and I know your feelings for each other are strong, but you are also young, and there's no rush. It's not that sex is wrong or shameful, it's just that for so many reasons you have to take on the responsibilities of an adult, and this is one area where you should maybe be a teenager for a while."

"Most teenagers are havin' sex Storm," I protested. I couldn't believe I said that. I couldn't believe I was even talking about having sex with Logan, to Storm!! I was shocked at myself.

"That's true, Rogue, and as I said it's entirely your decision. But I am just asking you to take it slowly and not jump into something that may have consequences, emotional and otherwise, that you don't need in your life right now."

"Ah understand. And I, we, ah, will take it slowly. I mean, he hasn't even asked me, and I don't really know if, um, I can, and you know...." I gestured to my gloves.

Storm smiled.

"Well Rogue, where there's a will, there's a way, and I have a hunch you and Logan will be able to figure it out. And," she cleared her throat, "it's a pretty safe bet that he wants to." She smiled.

"Really?" I'd gotten so used to lusting after the unapproachable, in-love-with-Jean Logan, this all seemed unreal.

"Really. In fact, Scott broke the news to him, and I bet he's looking for you right now."

My mind raced. Scott did know. Scott wasn't mad. OHMYGOD. Logan was looking for me! All of a sudden, my panic overtook me. Storm must have seen it in my face.

"It's OK Rogue, it's Logan. He's not going to make you do anything you don't want to do."

"It's just, it's, it's everything, you know? He's, well, everything to me." Storm hugged me.

"I know. I am so happy for you, Rogue. Go on and find him."

As I walked up to my room, my mind was racing. Logan. Me. School. Oh god, Jubilee was going to freak when I told her. Kissing. Comas. Steak sandwiches. The dogtags felt hot between my breasts. Kissing. Touching. Abs. His jaw. Oh god. OHGOD. He was right in front of me, leaning against my door. His gaze slid slowly up and down my body, and then he was smiling, in a gentle way I'd never seen before.

"So, kid." He suddenly looked a little uneasy.

"Logan." I realized that I had so much power over big scary Wolverine, and I promised silently never to hurt him. I reached out and touched his jaw gently with my gloved fingers. He grabbed my wrist, then pulled me close.

"So, I'm like your boyfriend now," he growled into my ear. I giggled.

"Oh really? Ah don't recall being asked, sugar." I looked up at him through my eyelashes, channeling generations of southern belles. Logan looked confused.

"I mean, don't you wanna, I thought, I mean, you like me, right?" I giggled.

"Maybe." He squeezed me tighter. "OK, OK, I might, you know, 'be taken' with you." I echoed Jean's words to him. He grimaced, and sqeezed me tighter.

"OK. Ah'll be your girlfriend. Do you have a letter jacket for me to wear?" Logan looked blank. "That's OK, I've got your tags. So...." I leaned in and inhaled, smelling him and getting weak-kneed.

"What're we gonna do?" Logan growled and ran his hand through my hair. He nuzzled my neck through my scarf. I hoped we were going into my room to continue with this nuzzling and kissing and growling. I could definitely tell that he, um, wanted to. I mean, he was pressed against me really tight, and getting tighter. He looked longingly at my bed.

"Well, um, no guys are allowed in your room, right?" he asked, resignedly.

I giggled, thinking of Scott coming in to separate us.

"Those are the rules. If you're scared of Scott, then we don't have to...." Logan brought the scarf over my mouth and kissed me wildly, for the very first time. I couldn't breathe. I was catching fire from the inside out. Maybe internal combustion was a late-manifesting mutation? I wondered with some small part of my mind as I began wrestling with Logan's belt buckle. He growled, loudly, and I stopped. I started feeling self conscious, as he looked down at me with heavy lidded eyes, one hand clasping my breast.

"Marie." It was a warning, it was a plea, it was a love poem. I suddenly knew it was going to be OK.

"Logan?"

"Let's go to the movies."

So we did.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1320