Why Not? by Dark Ferrett
Summary: In a rescue mission to find Scott, Rogue meets up with an old enemy, which prompts a change in an old relationship with a friend.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 11843 Read: 4486 Published: 03/21/2007 Updated: 03/21/2007

1. Chapter 1 by Dark Ferrett

Chapter 1 by Dark Ferrett
Author's Notes:
This story incorporates elements found in both the X-Men movieverse as well as the comicverse. To many familiar with only the movie, some details may seem a little confusing, but all in all, this story can be followed by everyone. WARNING: I have taken considerable creative liberties with the storylines and history. As always, feedback is always appreciated. Dedicated to the one and only Gemini, a person who shares my varied obsessions with grace and humor.
I. MAKE OR BREAK

It was a Tuesday like any other when Ororo called from New Orleans. She typically called Jean a few times a week directly and then spoke to Beast or me afterwards, so when I saw her number scroll by on my personal Caller ID, right away I knew that something big had happened. Hearing her normally soothing voice greet me rather shrilly, my suspicions were immediately confirmed, so I gripped the phone tighter and sat at my desk stiffly.

"Rogue, I am here with Remy on the speaker phone, we have something to tell you."

"Hello, Chere" Normally grated by the sound of my ex-lover's voice, I was surprised to find myself unresponsive to it. His normally smug tone was missing, and so I definitely knew it something big.

"We just returned from a run in with de Brood, Chere."

Not wanting to wait, I jumped in with the only question on my mind, "Is everyone okay?"

"Yes of course, Chere, but well, we also ran across some information that may lead us to, umm, de whereabouts of ... Scott."

He said the last word in solemn reverence. Scott had been missing for almost three years and it was a shock to say the least to hear his name now.

"Scott," his name escaped my lips as a slew of images of his sacrifice to Apocalypse to save Nate flashed through my mind. I suppose none of the X-Men had ever given up hopes of finding him, but this development was truly overwhelming. Chilled, I tried to gather my composure. I was relieved when Ororo mercifully broke the awkward silence.

"Yes Rogue, an X-Force insider had a communication from an underground source in Prague that claims to have seen him in a Genoshian compound in Siberia."

Snapping out of my disbelief, at the mere mention of the Genoshians, I stood up slowly with the phone still clutched tightly in my hand. I knew exactly what Storm was asking of me. Our experiences with the Genoshians were horrific, I still had nightmares on a regular basis from the time I was captured, but I knew we were all prepared to go to the ends of the earth for Scott. The only question was how to go about it. Closing my eyes, I summoned my courage and tried to clear my mind. I was the team leader of the New York X-men and I had to act quickly.

"Chere, we understand, if you did not want to come along for dis one."

It was very obvious that Remy was still coping with the implications of what it all meant too, but if we were going to find Scott, we had to move fast. Trying my hardest to sound decisive and in control, I replied, "Scott would do anything for us, sugah. We'll pick yah up in exactly four hours sharp. Assemble yer team and beh ready."

After what seemed an eternity, Remy cleared his throat and answered, "Thank you Rogue, out."



Running fingers through my hair, I breathed out a long sigh. It seemed like I hadn't breathed once the whole time that I was on the phone. It had been over two years since I had been team leader but I knew that this mission was either going to make us or break us as a team. Scott was alive. My mind was still reeling from what Remy had said, but my body was already in motion. Tapping on the small silver x on my bracelet cuff, I called out to my team and headed for the map room. Sitting at my seat, I turned to face the wall monitors and gathered my thoughts as the team walked in and settled down behind me. My heart was thumping loudly, and I briefly debated whether or not it was better to break the news to Jean in private. But squeezing my eyes shut, I gathered my composure again. We were a team. Make or break. I turned my chair slowly and regarded the others cautiously. It was hard not to notice Wolverine sitting close behind Jean, and not able to look either of them in the eyes, I choose to focus on the digital map before us instead and began with a very cryptic, "Ah have some very...surprising news."



A short time later, I found myself flying over the nearby stretch of woods on the eastern side of the Mansion in search of Wolverine. It had been positively heart wrenching to see Jean's face when she heard the news. In a matter of seconds, everyone's expression went from shocked to confused to ecstatic. But inevitably everyone eventually turned to face Jean, because her look hadn't moved past shocked. Holding her hands up to cover a gasp, she turned deathly pale and tears flowed freely down her face. My heart turned in my chest at seeing her pain and joy meshed into one. Thankfully Betsy was seated next to her and she quickly moved to hold her. But my concern was Wolverine. To his credit, he hadn't ripped the room to shreds, but the hurt was pretty evident in his face. As everyone moved to console Jean, he had slipped out of the room and disappeared. Every cell in my body wanted to go after him, but I stayed instead. I was responsible for the rescue operation and plans had to be made. But as soon as I could, I left Archangel and Colossus to load up the jet and our equipment and went in search of my best friend.

I didn't have to go far to find him. Just as I always ran away to the roof, Wolverine always ran away to the stream in the eastern side of the property. Coming up to the clearing, I touched down on some large rocks peeking through the rushing water and looked around. The sun had gone over the horizon only a half hour ago, but the tall trees blocked out any residual light. Squinting from one dark area to the next, I jumped when I heard his voice not too far behind me.

"Hey."

Floating to the direction the voice came from, I landed a few feet from where Wolverine leaned against a tree. Noticing he lost his shirt along the way, and the thick sap that oozed from the deep gauge marks on the tree trucks around us, I proceeded with caution. It was comforting to know that he still waited for me by the stream, but nevertheless I was a little hesitant. The whole Jean-Wolverine-Scott thing was definitely going to get messy.

"Wolverine, Ah need yah ta come along."

"The hell you do." Snorting in disgust, he hurled a pine cone into the gurgling water behind me. It whizzed by my shoulder, but I didn't flinch a muscle.

"Wolverine, Ah realize yah are hurting, shit, Ah'd be hurtin' too, but..."

Suddenly springing to his feet, Wolverine came up close enough for me to feel his breath move my bangs. "But nothing, Rogue, I loved her!!"

Caught off guard at his rare use of the word love, I closed my mouth and rethought my reason for being there. Wolverine had carried a torch for Jean since the day we arrived at the Mansion and I knew he was absolutely dying inside. It was true that since Scott disappeared, they had gotten closer, but it would never be what he wanted. His eyes blazed with contempt, and I knew him well enough to know that it was pointless to try and argue, but then I glanced at my watch and wondered if the jet was ready. I wanted to help him through this, but I also needed him desperately for the mission. Every minute wasted was another minute Scott was in the hands of those savages.

"Look, sugah, don't think Ah don't understand, but this is all about Scott, not Jean, and he would do -anything- for us."

Raising an eyebrow in a perfect arch, Wolverine growled, "I don't owe that dick a damn thing." Brushing past me, he stomped into the forest, unsheathing his claws as he went.

Watching my best fighter and my best friend walk away, I uttered the only thing left for me to say. "It's tha Genoshians. Genoshians. Ah need all of tha X-Men in on this one Wolverine. Please."

Stopping in his tracks at the mention of the thing that terrified me the most, Wolverine slowly turned to face me. Breathing erratically, he pointed a single claw in my direction, "You do what you gotta do Rogue, but I don't owe him anything." Spitting to the ground, he glared at me again and stormed off.

Blinking back the tears gathering in my eyes, I picked up and flew back home. I won't lie to you and say that I wasn't disappointed. He knew how I felt about the Genoshians, and yet he still chose to stay behind. But by the time I reached the Mansion, I was all business. I'd speak to him when I'd get back. For now Scott was waiting and it was make or break time.



Like promised, we were in New Orleans in under four hours. Gathering Gambit's team, we headed off across the Atlantic towards Siberia where the Genoshians had re-established a compound. According to the intel data we received, the camp was well hidden and well protected, deep in a frozen wilderness. It was hard to assess what it was that they were up to, but I guess we would know soon enough. Detailing strategies and briefing both teams as we went, I had a solid feeling that all was going to be well. I still had reservations about bringing Jean along, but nothing short of tranquilizers would keep her behind, so she came too.

Settling in my seat, I checked my watch one more time. In another two hours, I would be back on Genoshian soil. Images of unrelenting torture waited to pounce on me from the depths of my mind, but I ignored their threat and tried to focus at the task at hand. Suddenly queasy, I shut my eyes and brought my hands together in a quiet meditation pose Wolverine had taught me. It worked for a little while, but then my thoughts strayed to the lone, angry man stomping through the woods back home. Unable to maintain my concentration, I opened my eyes again in frustration.

Directly in front of me Remy and Ororo were seated. He was holding her hand in his lap, and leaning his head on her shoulder. Their matching platinum rings twinkled in the dim light. Sensing my staring, Remy turned and caught my eyes. I quickly turned to look out the window but the damage was already done. He straightened up a bit, no doubt pitying me, but I couldn't care less. Our relationship was a series of mistakes and missteps, and although I regretted leaving him to die in Antarctica, I was glad to be rid of it for good. In retrospect, it's really rather amazing that we hung on for so long, Ororo and Remy were happy. And that was something they both deserved and I could never truly be. I decided to sit out the remaining length of the ride in the co-pilot's seat next to Beast. I had learned over time, that keeping busy was the by far the best way to keep from thinking about unpleasant things, and true enough, we arrived in Siberia in what seemed like minutes.



Landing in a small frozen bay five miles from the Genoshian settlement, all ten X-men proceeded forward through the snowy forest of the neighboring hills surrounding the camp. At my request, Storm and Beast kept close by Jean, but she seemed to be holding up pretty well. We made good progress, but regrouping at the edge of the settlement we were shocked to find that it was nearly four times bigger than we had anticipated. With nearly twenty, full-sized buildings, it was practically a small town unto itself. Even more foreboding were the half dozen tanks with Genoshian crests on the side and the heavily secured laser fences surrounding the entire thing. The insider had claimed he saw Scott in the medical complex at the center of the compound, so that was our main target. It was still before dawn, and pretty sure that mostly everyone was still asleep, we began our systematic assault.

First Storm covered everything in a thick balmy fog, which at least helped warm things up. Then Archangel and her flew stealthily over the web of bright red beams and headed towards the various guard posts within the camp. Nightcrawler materialized by the perimeter controls and disabled the fence. Gambit, Bishop and Beast made short work of the remaining barriers and quietly disabled the tanks and other vehicles. Once Psylocke took out the communications disk, Jean, Cable, Colossus and I entered and made our way from building to building until we reached the medical facility. We were hoping to be inside before anyone noticed, but that hope was quickly dashed when we rounded the last corner and saw the side door open and a guard step out. The four of us skidded to a stop and the man dropped the cigarette he was about to light. In a flash, Cable blasted him with his pulse rifle, but not before he yanked the cord beside the door. A piercing siren echoed through the entire compound, waking all it's residents and spurring the X-men into a premature phase two.

In a matter of minutes, the entire settlement came to life. Although we had disabled much of the compound before we were discovered, we had rushed in without really knowing anything about the camp and in doing so we had severely underestimated the amount of guards and the firepower they carried. Fortunately it was still dark and we had the element of surprise. Archangel and Storm attacked the compound from above, while Gambit, Beast and Bishop worked their way down the center and Psylocke and Nightcrawler pushed through from behind.

With explosions and automatic fire coming from all directions, we followed Cable into the medical building. He did what he did best, by clearing the way, while Colossus and I sealed doorways with desks and anything else we could find. The long hallways were antiseptically clean, but there were no patients to be seen. Grabbing a woman who was apparently a doctor or technician of some sort, Jean scanned her mind while the rest of us kept an approaching mob of guards in gray uniforms from advancing. After what seemed like an eternity Jean finally decked her and stood up with tears in her eyes.

Leading us up two flights of stairs, Jean came to stop at wide metal doors. Ripping them open, I tore across the security checks until we came to a long corridor with a half dozen more rooms. Jean knew exactly where to go, and apparently had an idea of what to expect, but I was totally caught off guard at the sight of Scott lying peacefully asleep in a hospital bed. His hair was cut very short and he had scars covering his arms, but what was totally off was the fact that he was not wearing his visor or even eyeglasses. Looking closer, I recognized a familiar sight. He was wearing a Genoshian collar that negated his powers. Jean ran to him and kissed him over and over, but it was pretty obvious he was in some sort of coma. An explosion alerted us to the fact that guards had broken through the barrier I made in the stairway, so Cable gathered Scott as best he could in a blanket and headed out.

Grabbing the medical chart hanging off the door, Jean suddenly twirled around to face me. She remembered two more patients on that floor and one more in the floor above. Wasting no time, Colossus charged into the other rooms and retrieved two men on each of his huge shoulders, while I tried to keep over a dozen men from advancing down the corridor with Cable's pulse rifle. Behind me Jean, opened up a now disabled elevator. We hustled in and she quickly closed the doors with her mind, but we couldn't leave quite yet.

"There's still someone left an Ah want tha three of yah ta go on without meh."

"No Rogue we go together." Cable shifted Scott to his other shoulder and looked over at Jean for agreement.

On the other side of the elevator door, gunshots rang out and I had to insist. "No sugah, yah got ta get them out befor tha whole goddam place comes down. Ah can fly in an out quicker, go on, that's an order."

I looked at Jean expectedly and she nodded in agreement. Closing her eyes, she lowered the elevator to the ground floor and opened the doors telepathically. Giving me a quick squeeze, she unholstered her weapon and uttered a 'be careful' at me. She led the way out, quickly followed by Cable and then Colossus, who turned around at the last moment and gave me a quick kiss on the forehead. He was protected by his metallic exterior and for a brief moment I wondered why it never worked out between the two of us. But this was no time to reminisce about my miserable love life. I gave him a smile and went back into the elevator and lifted clear through the metal ceiling. Rising within the empty shaft, I hovered at the fourth floor level and pried the safety doors open.

In the background, I heard a distant clap of thunder and another explosion. I hurried forward and quickly checked into the room where the girl was supposed to be. I found her in a coma, similar to how we found Scott, so I wrapped her up and headed out. Unfortunately the guards had already made it to the fourth floor and were quickly approaching. I turned to run back into the elevator, but shots rang out and I felt a sharp nip at my left calf. Tumbling over I collapsed on the floor with the girl still in my arms. Careful not to crush her I hovered into a nearby room and set her down. I was bleeding pretty badly, but I could still fly. I picked up a bed and blocked the door with it and then looked around. There was only one way out. I clenched my fists and busted through the side of the building, raining bricks down below. Outside, the sun was already up, but the gunfight was nowhere near over. I picked up the girl again, and flew out just as the door was blown away behind us.

Flying high above the scene, I wondered if the others were okay. I spotted Gambit alongside Beast and Bishop, keeping back a line of automatic weapons fire. To my right, Nightcrawler and Psylocke were in hand to hand combat with a few guards. Archangel was helping Cable, Colossus and Jean work their way back into the forest. Tapping down on my communicator, I spoke into my bracelet cuff, "Storm we are done heah sugah, be ah darling an get tha jet. Folks, time ta pull back!!"

Landing right besides a retreating Bishop, I shifted the girl in my arms and settled down behind an overturned truck. I was completely out of breath and the pain in my leg was unbearable. Spotting me from were he was, Gambit hustled over to me.

"Chere, you are hurt!" The blood was seeping into the snow, making it a bright red color. I could tell he wanted to help, but I couldn't risk him touching me.

"No Gambit, Ah'm fine. Heah Bishop, take tha girl."

Bishop did as he was told and turned to Gambit, "We got to get her out now."

Gambit nodded solemnly tapped his communicator, "Beast, we need help here. Storm, where are you Chere?"

The voice came quickly "On my way!! I'll touch down at the south end in five minutes!!"

Gambit tapped his communicator again, "Everyone caught that?? Rendezvous in five minutes!!"

Beast fell back to join us and let out a whistle at the sight of my leg. "It seems you are in the need of some medical attention. Let me be of help." removing his kit out of his backpack, Beast snapped on gloves and started to bandage my leg.

"Yah always know how ta treat ah lady, Hank." I smiled as the furry doctor pushed his glasses up his nose and sucked in my breath as he moved my leg slightly.

"My deepest apologies Rogue." Finished controlling the bleeding, he snapped his kit shut and moved over to check on the girl. Behind us, the guards kept coming in endless waves.

Gambit read my mind, "Dere must be a whole squadron of dese bastards, no?" He emphasized each word by throwing a charged card in their direction. In the background, I heard the distinctive approach of the Blackbird's engines.

"I believe that's our ride!" Bishop fired one last grenade before taking me the waist and signaling to Gambit.

Throwing several large detonators towards our attackers, Gambit nodded and we rushed towards the hovering jet as the heat of the explosions pelted our backs. Cable, Colossus, Jean, and Archangel were already boarding the ramp with Scott and the two other patients. Nightcrawler materialized beside them with Psylocke in tow. Behind us, the Genoshian guards were rushing forward once again, and Beast jumped up into the jet with the girl in his arms. Gambit followed, laying down cover fire along with Nightcrawler. Psylocke was sending psi-blasts but the wave just kept coming, pelting the jet with holes.

Bishop heaved himself up next, still holding onto me, but in the last second a spray of bullets caught us both. Bishop stumbled forward and let go as Psylocke let out a scream that matched my own. Sensing the danger, Storm lifted up higher and already caught off balance, I stumbled back and fell off the ramp. Landing ten feet below in dirty snow, I saw that I was bleeding from my shoulder and my left side now as well. The troops were almost on me and in a moment of perfect lucidity, I realized that there was no way I was getting up on my own. Directly behind the jet, a huge explosion shook everything to it's core. They had a blast-cannon operational, and I knew they wouldn't miss twice. Tapping the silver x on my bracelet cuff, I sputtered the last words I could muster before passing out, "Storm, go now, or they'll get us ahll..."



I came to in a white, empty room with harsh florescent lighting, not unlike the one we had found Scott in. My eyes unaccustomed to the light and temporarily confused, I went to sit up, and only then did I notice that I was strapped down with restraints. Blinking at them in disbelief, I nudged them forward a few times. They were made of metal, but they didn't snap. My heart sinking at the realization, I let out a sob. I was wearing a power-blocking collar again, and no matter how much I tugged and strained, the restraints would not pop open. Looking around in a blind panic, I screamed out, until men in white uniforms came in and injected me with something. Tears burning down my face, I slipped into unconsciousness.

The second time I woke up, I had my face pressed against a cold, hard, metal floor. Pushing myself up, I looked down to see that I was wearing only a thin gown and my hair was damp. My green and gold uniform was gone. My head was pounding, and my eyes strained against the darkness. I was in a small metal cube cell, with six smooth sides, no lighting, no furniture and one door. Remembering faintly that I had been in a Genoshian hospital, my hands flew up to my neck. I was still wearing a thin metal collar and scratching at it with all my might, I started crying again. There was no way I could take it off. In a furious panic, I scratched and clawed at it until my fingernails were bloody and my head felt like it was about to split in two. I still don't know if it was the medications they had given me earlier or my own state of shock, but I passed out again.

The third time I regained consciousness, I was being half carried, half dragged by two men dressed in white through a long corridor. My groggy mind took a while to react, but I knew that I was headed back to a medical room. Grimacing at the strain the orderlies were putting on my injured shoulder, I decided I had to try and escape. I was seeing everything double, but they didn't have guns, which meant I had a chance. I waited patiently until I was propped up on the bed. The orderlies were talking to each other, but I couldn't make it out. It was only when one grabbed my leg, to cuff it in a restraint that I decided to fight. Using the skill I acquired in countless hours in Danger Room sessions, I sent my palm into one orderly's face, crushing his nose into his brain and killing him instantly. Next I kicked the one holding my leg in the crotch. Jumping off the bed, I staggered to my feet and tried to make it to the door. In the corridor, I could hazily make out gray uniforms headed towards me. Running in the opposite direction, I made it a few yards before two huge guys tackled me down. Punching and clawing, I tried to hold them off, but I was punched and kicked into submission before another injection was thrust into my thigh.

The next time, I woke up, I was in my cell again, but this time, I could barely open my eyes. I shifted slightly to rest on my back, feeling my face for injuries. Both my eyes were swollen shut, and there was an ugly lump on my right cheek. The feel of the metal under my back, told me I was naked. Slowly feeling the panic rise in me again, I remembered how much the Professor taught us that control was the key to surviving any situation. Taking deep breaths, I steadied my heartbeat and continued my exploration. I felt the bandages at my calf, left side and shoulder. They were all wet which told me I was bleeding through my wounds again. Slowly I felt my ribs, pausing at the ache in my right side. That told me I had a broken rib. The rest were aches and pains of bruises that would heal in time. Whimpering slightly, I turned my attentions to the cell I was in.

Crawling in my tiny steel cage, I felt around in the dark for structural weaknesses. There were none. What's more, the steal sounded fairly thick. If I wanted to escape, I had to heal, let time go by and know with what frequency I was let out. I felt the needle marks along my arms and knew that they had been experimenting on me. My thoughts turned to Scott and the other three patients we found. They were all in deep, sleep-like comas, no doubt drug induced. By the condition of my gunshot wounds, I had to have been in captivity for a few days, maybe a week. I had to stay cooperative and lucid, if I were to have another chance to escape. And this time I would have to plan it carefully. My half-assed attempt earlier had cost me dearly, but I would be ready for tonight.

I waited and waited but my keepers didn't come get me. I had no concept of time, being completely in the dark, but I knew it had to be at least ten hours since I had woken up. I was hungry, well actually I was starving. After a long while, I lay down on the cold floor again. I was reminded of the old prison movies, where someone would brake the rules and be placed in a small dark room for solitary confinement. My tears welled up again, because the person would always brake, go crazy and scream like a lunatic. But I would not be here forever. The X-men would no doubt find me. The Genoshians had secret camps spread through the globe, but they would find me. Just like we found Scott. --Even though it took three years-- The brief glimmer of hope in my heart vanished. We took years to find Scott, and it may take just as long to find me. I was pretty sure I had been taken to another secret location and that practically insured that I was going to be there for a long, long time.

Refusing to let despair engulf me, I thought about Scott's homecoming instead. The look on Jean's face when she saw him was priceless. She was beyond ecstatic. Whatever they did to him, Hank would fix it and he'd be his old self again. Because loves like theirs always conquered all. Only nobody loved me that way. Ignoring the grumbling in my stomach, I curled into a fetal position in a corner. I was faintly aware of a new smell enveloping me and lulling me to sleep. But my thoughts were far from the small metal box I was in. I was asleep again, dreaming that I could never have a love like theirs.

Cody was gone. Joseph was dead. Remy was happy. Peter was better off. They were all better off without me, because a girl with untouchable skin could never be loved. The only touches she'd know is a few stolen kisses over the years and rape at the hands of guards in gray, a long time ago. Only now I was in the same place again. And this time the Carol in my head had not surfaced to fight. All of my personalities were quite, afraid to venture forth and lead in hopes of survival. I was not the same girl that made it out of Genosha the first time, because this time I was alone.



II. A SIMPLE ROUTINE

It was now three weeks and still we were no closer to finding Rogue. When they returned with Cyclops, I was away. Drunken with self-pity and enough booze to kill a horse, I was languishing in the eastern woods, waiting for her to come to me. It was kinda pathetic really, but her head-shrinking always helped. The routine was simple, I'd go ballistic, she'd come and get me after I worked out me rage on the nearby trees, and we'd talk. Over a six pack usually. She even knew what brand. When it was really bad, she'd bring a bottle of Canadian Whiskey.

It was really unfair, because the next day I'd be fine and she'd be hung over. I would go to her room and put on loud music, run a hot shower, and drag her out of bed while I smoked and read the paper. She'd groan and complain, maybe even slug me, but eventually she would come out the shower and we'd go running. But Rogue would always get me back eventually by making me go shopping or see some sensitive bullshit movie when she was feeling bad about Remy or Peter or whoever. Spending money was her fix, getting blasted was mine. And we did both often enough. Like I said, it was a routine.

This time, I was hoping Rogue would bring a few bottles of the hard stuff, because I was hurting bad. So bad I had already started boozing without her. It wasn't a secret I loved Jean, fuck, everybody knew. But to see Jean's face light up at the mere mention of one eye's chance of being alive cinched it. Jean could never love me. All the flirting and attraction in the world couldn't equal love. And it was pretty apparent Jean would always love Scott and not me.

So I waited to smell Rogue's scent in the wind that day, and as the hours passed, I grew angry that she didn't come. Then the anger turned to apprehension as my mind slowly regrouped itself. She had mentioned the Genoshians. Rogue feared them like nothing else. They had stolen her powers once before, tortured her and worse. I instantly regretted not having gone. Like always, I was being selfish, and she was probably too mad to come and get me. Rising up, I started to make my way through the woods back to the Mansion. I was halfway there when I heard Jean's voice in my head ---Wolverine, come quick---



When I entered the map room, Rogue's absence and the gold team's presence immediately struck me as odd. They were all pretty banged up, and Bishop had serious looking bandages on his shoulder. I couldn't bear to look at Jean, so instead I bore into Gambit. He stood and pointed to a chair.

"Wolverine, have a seat."

All eyes were either on me or purposely avoiding me, so I was really scared now, "Cut the shit Cajun, what the fuck happened?"

Giving up on doing things the easy way, Gambit sat down instead and started carefully. "We retrieved Scott and three others, but we hit unexpected resistance and in de last moments we...lost Rogue."

Unsheathing my claws in blind furry I plunged I sliced through the chair in front of me. Immediately Cable and Colossus stood up, but neither approached me.

"What the fuck do you mean??? She's ..Who..." Unable to complete the thought, I closed my eyes tightly willing the tears away.

Storm quickly interjected with tears flowing freely down hers, "You don't understand Logan, she is not dead, she was hurt, captured, ...I am at fault."

Opening my eyes, I stared at the weather goddess in disbelief. "What.."

"It was not her fault either Wolverine. We were all caught off guard. It was all our faults." Warren squeezed Betsy tighter. She looked at him and continued in her lilting British accent, "Let us explain."



I did listen and they did explain. Before the end of the night, Gambit, Bishop and Nightcrawler were back in New Orleans, working their connections for more intelligence on possible leads. Colossus, Archangel, and Psylocke were in the Southwest, where there was a strong lead on Genoshian activity. Cable, Storm and I returned to the Ukraine in a salvage mission. Jean and Beast stayed behind in New York, where they worked on Scott and the others to help revive them.

The camp was completely empty when we returned. We gathered whatever data wasn't destroyed and blasted the settlement to bits from far away. It was pretty obvious that they were doing medical experiments on mutants there. I knew a thing or two about the subject, and my blood boiled when I thought of Rogue in their hands. We continued our search for days and days that slowly became weeks.

Eventually the entire X-team took residence in the Mansion and they took turns following me around the globe. I barely slept or ate because I knew Rogue was waiting. On the long flights in between stops, when I did sleep, I dreamt of the first time we where in a Genoshian island together. She was brand new on the team and people were wary of her since she had just killed Carol and took her powers. But I knew better. The kid I met in Laughlin City had more honor, loyalty, and guts than most anyone I had ever come across. The Carol thing was an accident, and she proved herself a million times over when she rescued me, the great Wolverine, from certain death. We were both powerless and broken on Genosha and she had been raped and tortured, but still she found the courage to fight and escape. I can still remember the look of determination on her face when she came to get me. I was so awestruck, that I kissed her. Unfortunately, we never spoke about it again. But finding her was something I owed her for more reasons than I cared to admit.

Eventually after two weeks of being in a coma, Scott woke up. He was able to tell us a few sketchy details about his experience, but mostly he couldn't remember. The Genoshians had kept him in varied stages of unconsciousness while they poked and prodded him for years. It seems they were working on a way to isolate the mutant gene, and trying to test ways to repress it. He was never conscious enough to know exactly where he was staying, but he did remember the doctors talking about the South Pacific. The others had already searched there, but it had been three weeks since Rogue's capture and I was getting desperate. Rogue had insisted on everyone learning how to fly the Blackbirds, and I for one was a lousy pilot, but I had never been so grateful for the lessons like I was when I took off on my own.

Unfortunately, it was literally like searching for a needle in a haystack. The South Pacific contained hundreds of small islands, many of which were unmapped, but I continued to canvass the area for days until I happened to catch a lucky break. I had noticed one of two blips on my radar screen suddenly disappear into thin air. Realizing that there had to be an undocumented landing site nearby, I carefully watched the second blip disappear over a small crescent shaped island. Unbelievably pleased to have found an uncharted base, I contacted the X-Men in New York and gave them the coordinates. Of course they insisted on having me wait for them, but there was no way I would sit on my ass and wait, when I was so close.

I set the jet down in a nearby lagoon. Enabling it's radar shields, I covered it up as best I could in the thick vegetation, and headed out through the jungle in the direction of the landing site. Sniffing the hot, hazy air, it occurred to me that the smell of machinery and people were everywhere. The whole complex was underground. Following my nose, I slashed through the undergrowth until I came to a venting system portway. Luckily, an underground complex needed an enormous amount of air circulated so the vents were wide. Removing the manhole cover with a slice of my claws, I made my way into the long tubing and crawled through the system until I came to what seemed to be giant generator room. It was empty except for one sleeping guard propped up against the exit door. Waking up to claws pressed to his throat, he was more than happy to offer me some directions. Borrowing his identcard, his uniform and his gun, I set out for the sixth sublevel where the test subjects were kept.

The entire place was heavily guarded, but dressed in gray, I made it pretty far. It was only when I reached a metal door and my identcard denied me access that I had to use my claws. Smashing the security console, I rushed to the inside corridor, where I took down the security guards, but not before getting pelted with gunfire, thankfully my healing factor took care of it all in seconds. There were at least six cells in that sub-level, but I made my way directly to the third door. Even though Rogue's scent was mingled with sleeping gas but it was still unmistakable.

I slashed down the door and held my breath when I caught sight of Rogue curled up in a corner. She was unconscious and naked, and I felt the inevitable adrenaline surge that came with my berserker rage rise in me. But for once I tempered it because she was still alive and I had to get her out. She was wearing a control collar, so I reached down with trembling fingers and felt along her neck. Her heartbeat was faint but steady. Taking off the gray shirt I got from the first guard I encountered, I carefully dressed her in it, trying not to notice the ugly bumps and bruises marring her perfect skin. I picked her up and carried her off back down the corridor.

Unfortunately, there were guards rushing down to meet us and I could not go the way same way I came. Noticing the vent system grill, I heaved Rogue to my shoulder and tore the grill from it's place. It was a whole lot harder getting out than getting in, but I climbed the aluminum tunnels with the help of my claws while I carefully balanced Rogue on my shoulder.

Once outside, I heaved myself out, completely oblivious as to which part of the island we were in. Grimacing at the puffiness in Rogue's face in the broad daylight, I stopped to check her heartbeat once again. It was thinner and I wanted no more than to slice the collar off and heal her right there and then, but Beast had warned me not to. The roar of jeeps tearing through gravel paths grew closer, so I shouldered her weight again and tried to make it into the forest. But the Genoshian guards reached me before I could. I felt a spray of gravel hit my legs when they skidded to a stop just a few yards away.

"Stop, you mutant freak!!"

Comments like that usually preceded a serious beatdown, but there were about a dozen men, each heavily armed, and I couldn't risk Rogue getting hurt any further.

"Turn around slowly and put the girl down." To make his point clear, the asshole pointed his rifle at Rogue and smiled. With a quick signal, four guards approached me slowly.

My claws were still unsheathed and they were terrified, but I couldn't risk them hurting Rogue. Carefully I lay her on the ground and growled at the assholes surrounding me. The situation was not looking good. One of the guards slung his rifle back and bent down to collect her. I practically saw red when he touched her, and decided to fuck the odds. I went to leap forward but a searing boom above made us all stop in mid motion. It was the Blackbird, caked with palm leaves and mud, but still a sight to behold. A flash of lightning and boisterous thunder split the menacing sky in two and I chuckled under my breath.

"It's about damn time."

Turning my attentions back to the assholes surrounding me, I slashed my way through them without so much as a scratch. Archangel swept down from above, and Nightcrawler poufed beside me to give me a hand with the others.

"I was beginning to wonder if you'd ever show."

Warren smiled and shook his head as he decked a guy in the jaw, "You just couldn't wait for us could you."

The temperature had turned cold, but the X-Men were relentless as they advanced on the Genoshians. I was not usually one to skip a good fight, but my attentions were only for Rogue. I picked her up from the thick jungle mud and looked up at Warren,

"You go on, I'll get her home."

Nodding in quiet agreement, Archangel flapped his wings and rose up to join the others. I looked down at Rogue's still face and tapped on the silver x on my collar.

"Beast come get us, I've got Rogue."



III. WE'RE EVEN NOW

Rogue woke up in a dim room again, but this time she wasn't face down on a hard metal surface. She was actually in a soft bed, which freaked her out even more. Sitting up with a start, she immediately regretted her action when her head swirled. Steadying herself with her hand on her forehead she was overtaken by the fact that her hands were free. Rogue assumed that she was in a hospital again, but that would be impossible, because she was always restrained. Snapping her eyes open, Rogue looked around in a panic. Recognizing the familiar recovery med-room at the Mansion, tears gathered in her eyes. She was home. Temporarily convinced it was a dream, Rogue touched her neck and found nothing. Gasping in surprise, she wept with joy, she was not sure how, but she was home.

Pushing the sheets aside Rogue tried to stand, but her legs would barely hold her. She correctly assumed that she had probably been asleep for a long time. Feeling her shoulder and side, she found nothing but smooth skin, which confirmed her suspicions. Wiping the fresh tears from her face, Rogue slowly made her way to the door, holding on to the furniture as she went. About to press the open button, she was startled when the doors opened automatically and Logan and Beast stepped in. They were in the middle of a conversation and failed to see her until it was already to late. Logan bumped her and Rogue toppled over, but she didn't fall because he somehow managed to catch her in mid air.

Holding her tightly Logan gasped in disbelief and looked at Beast who was laughing in his deep guttural voice.

"Jesus, Kid, you're awake!"

His look was incredulous and Rogue had to laugh too, even though she was still crying. "I'm home." Was all she could say as she buried her face deep in his flannel shirt. Wolverine held her for a while, as she cried softly. Words could not describe the relief she felt at his familiar smell.

"Thanks."

She mumbled the words into his shirt and straightened up with a sniffle. Her eyes were still puffy, but she was quick to notice the pained look on Logan's face. Beast noticed it too and quickly stepped in,

"Rogue you are still quite weak. You must be careful not to exert yourself." Handing her a tissue, the furry doctor motioned to Logan who was still holding her up, "If you could move her to the lounge, please."

Logan nodded quietly and picked his friend up with a crooked smile. Rogue knew it just embarrassed him to death, when she acted all girly around him, so she didn't let the opportunity go by without a smartass comment.

"Yoah spoilin' meh sugah."

He smirked again and gave her a sideways look. Setting her down on the chaise, Logan carefully took a strand of white streaked hair and pushed it behind Rogue's ear. Temporarily caught off guard by his gentle caress, Rogue stared back at him and smiled. She was positive that it was Wolverine that had found her.

Unable to tolerate her gaze on him, Logan cleared his throat and uttered, "I'll catch you later, Kid." before leaving. At the door he turned around one last time, "I missed you."

Caught off guard again, Rogue's smiled faltered as the doors opened and closed behind Logan. He looked terrible, and she couldn't help but wonder how he lived through the whole Jean thing. Caught in her thoughts, Rogue was startled by a prick to her arm.

Beast was regarding her with a serious expression. "I realize it must be hard for you to deal with these procedures now, but I assure you they are necessary."

Rogue stared at the blood slowly leaking into the tube and resisted the wave of nausea that hit her stomach. Looking at her bare feet, poking through her long gown, Rogue nodded, "Ah know Beast, it's just hard."

Wanting to talk about anything but her ordeals, Rogue focused on the one reason it was all worth it. "How's Scott, and tha other's? Are they ahll raght?"

Smiling broadly, Beast nodded, "Yes, I am pleased to announce that they have recovered fully. The Genoshians were conducting experimental gene therapy to isolate the mutant x gene. But their systems eventually flushed the drugs out, and they have returned to normal. Everyone is quite happy. Your recovery was faster than theirs, thanks in part to your invulnerability. What you are feeling now, are the effects of long term immobility. With regular exercise, you should be fine in a matter of days." Giving Rogue a gentle squeeze with his gloved hand, the furry doctor wheeled the tray away, before settling next to her on the chaise.

Smiling at the good prognostication, Rogue kissed her dear friend on the cheek, "Thank yah kindly, Beast, Ah'm sure we owe our lives ta yah. Speaking of which, when can ah see tha others."

Chuckling good naturedly, the doctor stood up and faced his patient, "Right now, if you wish, but first I have something to show you."

Still smiling, Beast walked over to a wheel chair that was hidden on the far side of the room. Noticing Rogue's disgusted look, he laughed even louder. "It's just temporary Rogue, with a good physical therapy program, you can be fully recovered in just over a week."

Rogue was beside herself, "But Beast sugah, that thing is hideous!! Ah can fly or sometin'."

"Absolutely no powers for the next two weeks, you must heal completely."

Resigning herself to her fate, Rogue pouted, "If yah insist, but Ah'll resent yah every minute of the way." Reaching up to circle her arms around the doctor's neck, Rogue was planted firmly in her new chair.

"As you wish, but you'll thank me later, I assure you."

After fetching the long black gloves and black scarf that Logan had left by the bedtable, Beast covered Rogue's legs with a blanket. "Now, lets go see the others I'm sure they are waiting. Especially Scott. He has a surprise for you."

Smiling at the mention of his name, Rogue fussed with her white bangs and pinned her hair up in a knot with a pen. Smoothing out her gown, she realized how thin she was. She looked dreadful, she was sure, but the thought of seeing her teammates again was thrilling.

"Ah can't wait."

Reading her thoughts, Beast handed Rogue a lipstick he had in his lab coat pocket with a smile. Putting it on quickly, Rogue clapped her hands twice in a mock exasperation, "Let's go, boy, my subjects await."



Rogue was beyond happy to see all of the X-Men assembled in the gameroom. Even Logan was there, albeit perched in a corner smoking. Everyone welcomed her back and wished her a speedy recovery, but Rogue practically had a heart attack when she spotted Scott approaching her without his red glasses on. Speechless, she reached out to him as he kneeled before her and hugged her fiercely.

"Thank you, Rogue."

There were tears in both Rogue and Scott's eyes when he finally let go and the whole room watched their exchange in silent fascination.

"You took good care of them and I owe you everything."

Finally finding words, Rogue held his hands tightly. "Ah just held up tha fort while yah were gone. They're ahll yours now. Welcome home Scott."

Kissing him gently on the eyebrow, Rogue smiled ruefully at Scott's hazel eyes, "Surprise indeed! How the heck is this possible, sugah?"

The entire room laughed, as Rogue just stared at Scott's reddening face. "It's a long story, but you'll now soon enough."

Tapping at the bracelet he wore on his left hand, Scott stood up and joined Jean, who added with a smile, "Forge made it from the Genoshian collar he wore. With some modifications, it can help the wearer control their powers and use them only when they want to." Smiling up at her husband, Jean continued, "He's working on yours, and it should be ready soon."

At that point everyone descended on Rogue again. It was the umpteenth shock of the day, but Rogue thanked her well-wishers and smiled graciously despite the uneasiness in her stomach. Logan had left, no doubt because of Jean and Scott. A few minutes later, the music was turned on and the impromptu gathering turned into a full-fledge party. Rogue stayed for a little while, chatting with Ororo and Peter about the Scott's plans to unite the X-Men again. He was taking steps to strengthen the team like Xavier would have wanted and for the time being, the Mansion was a full house again. Rogue listened attentively to all the new plans, but eventually grew worried about Logan and sought out Cable to take her to her room. He agreed but when they got to the stairs, they found Logan smoking on the steps.

"Hey."

Rogue smiled thinly at her friend's go-with-everything greeting. "Hey yourself. Ah was wonderin' where you were."

"You are missing quite the get together, Logan." Cable turned to Rogue and lifted her up to her feet.

Leaning back nonchalantly, Logan smirked, "I'll live."

Cable and Rogue exchanged glances at their teammates' anti-social tendencies. Wrapping Rogue in her blanket, Cable started up the stairs when Logan suddenly stood up, "I'll take her."

Exchanging another glance with Rogue, Cable shrugged his shoulders and handed her over. "Quite alright, besides I think I hear the macarena playing."

Stifling a giggle, Rogue thanked him and grabbed unto Logan tightly.

Turning to look at Rogue, Logan grinned and headed upstairs.

"Ah think yoah enjoying this sugah."

Logan snorted and pushed Rogue's bedroom door open with his foot, "Don't bet on it, darling. I'll be the first one doing cartwheels when I see you kicking ass again." Once inside, he slammed the door shut again in the same manner.

Rogue sighed quietly at her helplessness. "Same heah sugah."

Sitting her gently on her bed, Logan crossed the room, turned on a bedside light and opened a window. Rogue followed his movements carefully as she lay down into her soft comforter. Removing the pen that held her hair up, she ran her fingers through her hair and adjusted the blanket around her form. Logan had plunkered down on the recliner by the window. Resting his boots on the windowsill, he took out a cigar and went to light it, but hesitated.

"Do ya mind if I smoke, darling."

Unaccustomed to the question, Rogue giggled brightly, "Logan, yah've sat there an smoked them cigars, practically on ah daily basis, an yah gonna start askin' now?"

Slightly annoyed, Logan glared at Rogue and stuffed the cigar back in his pocket, "I was just trying to be considerate and all."

Still giggling, Rogue waved her hands in apology. "Sorry, sugah go ahead Ah want yah to."

Unsure, Logan just stared at her.

"No really, go on," looking straight at his face, she urged him on, "it reminds me of home."

Seeing that she was dead serious, Logan took the cigar out of his pocket again and lit it. His sensitive hearing picked up the party going on downstairs. Someone dropped a bottle. No doubt Betsy. The girl had all the fine motor skills of a drunken Jerry Lewis on acid. Thank God Warren had more money than God.

Rogue closed her eyes, letting the familiar aroma of Logan's Cuban cigars fill her lungs. Logan watched her for an eternity, sizing up the changes fifteen pounds did to her face. He wanted to ask her a million questions, but he was not very good with words and didn't know where to begin. So he watched her instead, like he had been doing for the past two weeks in the recovery room. When she finally opened her big green eyes, he held his breath.

"What's on yah mind sugah?"

"Nothing."

"Liar."

Surprised by her quickness, Logan puffed on his cigar and looked out the window.

Not wanting to dance around the subject forever, Rogue took a deep breath, "Is it Jean?"

Snapping his head around to meet her gaze, Logan stared wide-eyed at Rogue. He took the cigar out of his mouth in one quick motion and looked down at the lighter he was playing with. He didn't know where to start.

"Well, are yah gonna tell me about it? Or am ah gonna beat it outa yah?"

Chuckling softly, Logan had to laugh at Rogue's persistence. "Shouldn't we be head-shrinkin' over a bottle of something?"

Giggling again, Rogue rested her head on her hand, "Ah'm in ah sorry state ta be boozin' with yah sugah. We're gonna have ta do it sober this time."

Looking over at Rogue's sparkling eyes, Logan decided that if he didn't say it now, he never would.

"It isn't the Jean thing that's bothering me, Rogue."

Now it was Rogue's turn to be surprised. Logan went back to fiddling with his lighter.

"That was settled quicker than I thought possible. She will never love me. One-eye is the only one that can make her happy...I see that now."

His statement over, Logan glanced over at Rogue. She had her eyebrows arched high in surprise and was apparently not breathing.

"Shit, that came out ah left field."

Logan shrugged his shoulders and kept puffing away at his cigar, "I call them as I see them."

"Well, putting tha baseball references aside, hon, where did tha great insight come from?"

"Guess I've known it all along Rogue, just needed to face facts." Looking over at his companion again, Logan continued, "Besides, I couldn't stop thinking about you."

Rogue smiled softly, "Ah know, thanks a bunch for comin' ta get meh."

Looking down again, Logan spoke the words that had been eating away at him for weeks. "But I should have been there for you Rogue, I knew how you felt about the Genoshians, shit, they almost got us the last time, but I was being too selfish to help you."

Rolling slowly onto her back, Rogue closed her eyes and fought the urge to cry. She could go on another hundred years without hearing the word Genoshians. Logan looked at her intensely, curiosity and fear eating at his soul. She had suffered more than anyone deserved. Without opening her eyes, Rogue spoke in a soft quiet voice.

"It wasn't yer fault Logan, it wasn't anybody's fault. Shit happens and we have just have ta deal with it. If yah think about it, a lot of good came from this whole thing."

Unable to resist the need to know, Logan pursued his lips, "Did..."

"No, Logan, Ah can't talk about it just yet, but no."

Nodding silently, Logan felt relief wash over him. It was a small compensation, but relief nonetheless.

"I still need to apologize, tell you that I'm sorry."

Opening her eyes slowly, Rogue looked at the sullen man sitting by her window. His face was a mask of sorrow and anger, but his words had the miraculous ability to soothe her no matter what.

"Ah don't need yer apology Logan, yah did nothin' wrong."

Offering her gloved hand, she beckoned to him, and Logan took it reverently. Kneeling by her bed, he placed his head on her stomach, while Rogue stroked his hair like he had done just hours before.

"Besides, we're even now."

Nodding softly, Logan let his guilt melt away. She was going to be fine and so was he. But she had been through hell and back and needed to rest badly. Getting up slowly, he squeezed her had one last time before leaving. When he was at the door, Rogue called out to him, "Logan, where did yah find meh?"

Without turning around, Logan said, "In the South Pacific."

Blinking at the irony of it all, Rogue closed her eyes and wrapped her hands around the dogtags tucked under her pillow. They were still there. Closing her eyes, Rogue willed herself to a dreamless sleep.



IV. A LOVE LESS ORDINARY

Rogue woke up to the smell of breakfast in bed. Logan was at his usual place by the window. He was having his coffee and his cigar, when she bolted upright and shot him a dangerous look from where she was. It had been almost two weeks since Rogue had awoken from her coma, and for the first time since then, she hadn't checked her wrists for restraints first thing when she woke up. Logan noted this with a smile, but of course, some things never changed.

"Mornin."

"Fuck yah."

Laughing at her annoyance, Logan goaded her on, "Eat, you're still too skinny."

"How many times have ah told yah Logan, that Ah am not ah morning person!!"

Rogue peered through her long white bangs, and waited for a response, but none came. Sniffing at the food in the tray next to her, Rogue yawned and decided it was best to just dig in. She was normally just a coffee person, but for the last few weeks, Logan had been feeding her like only a grandmother could. Chuckling at the thought of Logan knitting booties, Rogue popped the asprin resting on a napkin into her mouth and took a drink of orange juice. Nibbling at her food quietly, she occasionally looked over at Logan sitting by her window with contempt.

She had finally told him everything she remembered about her captivity last night and he had told her everything about the search. They had spent practically the whole night talking and drinking, but like always, he was bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning, while she was still hung over. The ironic part was that she took it easy, having only four light beers. But in her weakened state, they still managed to get her plastered. Picking at the cut fruit on her dish, she looked up to see Logan staring at her.

Looking over the paper, Logan smiled at her expression. "Southern chicks have such at-ti-tudes."

Opening her eyes wide in indignation, Rogue flung her toast atLogan, but in a lightning quick response, he unsheathed a claw and pierced it in mid air. Bringing it to his mouth, he took a bite and sipped at his coffee with a smile.

Even more upset, Rogue swung her legs out of bed and carefully stood up. Taking cautious steps, she walked to the bathroom, where the shower was already running. It was the only thing that got her going in the morning, and she enjoyed them thoroughly. Rinsing the lather from her long hair, Rogue strategized where to go shopping that afternoon. It had to be someplace completely unnerving for Logan. Victoria Secrets maybe. He wouldn't know what to do with himself, plus the insane amounts of potpourri they had lying around would send him into sensory overload. Pleased with her plan, Rogue dried off and got dressed in jeans and a short sleeved blouse.

Going back into her room, she sat at her vanity table and brushed her damp hair into a ponytail. Touching her lips slightly with lip-gloss, she dove into the drawers next, looking for long gloves to match her outfit. She was completely unaware of Logan looking at her every expression through the vanity mirror. Since her return, he found himself staring at her more and more.



It was as if he was studying her movements, trying to find something in their patterns. It wasn't like he never noticed her before. Rogue was beautiful and they spent so much time together he had to have been blind not to notice. But it was never really an issue. They were friends, drinking buddies, teammates. Ever since he picked her up on that snowy road off Laughlin City, they had been inseparable, just never romantic. They were both simple, straightfoward, and fiercely loyal people, making them a good fit for each other. When one needed help, the other would come to the rescue. It worked out quite well for many years, but then something changed.

After the Marrow and Colossus fiascoes, they clung to each other a little differently. It was as if they sought out excuses to be together. The early morning wake up fights and the shopping expeditions were all part of it. But the cincher was Scott's return and Remy and Ororo's marriage. When they saw the people they had pined away for so long find true happiness with others, it became painfully clear that they had to let go of the little dramas they made for themselves and finally move on. Between the 'I am untouchable,' and 'I am a loner' routines, they were a pity-fest unto themselves. And so it was only after they stopped feeling sorry for themselves, that Logan and Rogue started sizing each up with interest.



Finding her navy blue gloves, Rogue smiled triumphantly. Dispensing some peach scented lotion on her hands, she slathered her arms in lotion before sliding her hands into her long gloves. Looking up to put on her hoop earrings, she glanced in the mirror and caught Logan staring. Quickly looking down, Rogue wondered what it all meant. He had been staring at her more than ever, mostly when she thought nobody was looking. Ever since she returned, he had made it a point to bring her breakfast every morning, help her through her physical therapy and keep her busy most afternoons.

At first Rogue thought Logan was being a real pain in the ass, she even told him so on several occasions. But when the team had to go face off with some sorry FOH sons of bitches down in Florida, Rogue actually missed him. The team was gone for three days, but to Rogue it seemed like an eternity. When they returned, she waited for him by the landing pad, standing on her own two feet unassisted for the first time. When he saw her, he actually smiled, not grinned or sneered like he always did. It was an honest to God smile. He picked her up and kissed her on the forehead, through her white bangs. It was something he did on occasion when she needed comforting, but never in front of anyone else. The rest of the X-Men exchanged startled looks and knowing glances but wisely kept their mouths shut. Accusing Wolverine of smiling was just asking for all sorts of trouble.



Cursing himself for being stupid, Logan tried to concentrate on the words on his newspaper. Watching Rogue brush her hair and slather on lotion were not healthy pastimes for a grown man. She was definitely onto him, and if he kept it up, she would freak out for sure. It was enough that everyone was already speculating, but it was no secret that he loved her and took care of her. Shit, that's what friends were for. Momentarily sedated by an old argument, Logan tried to continue reading his paper. But in the back of his mind, a familiar counter argument rose up to challenge his theory. He never went shopping with Betsy, or saw movies with Hank. Sure he occasionally had a few cold ones with Cable or Bishop, but he never brought them asprins the next day or held their hair when they threw up. If Remy called him an asshole, just once, he'd be sliced to shreds. He wouldn't be caught dead in a Gap with Ororo, and he certainly didn't get a kick out watching Warren brush his hair. At night he dreamed about soft satin gloves running over his body and no matter how hard he tried, every women he fantasized about had white bangs amid dark auburn hair. Frustrated at his own inability to face the truth, Logan folded his paper and got up to leave.



Snapping out of her thoughts, Rogue looked up and caught Logan by the arm as he headed for the door. Refusing to look down, he looked straight ahead instead.

"I just remembered I had to do something with Kurt."

"Liar."

Unable to keep from looking down, Logan came face to face with Rogue's wide green eyes.

More than a little frustrated, Logan moved to take his arm away from hers, but Rogue held on tighter. Standing up, she nudged him to sit down on the bed.

Taking her seat back at the vanity, Rogue collected her thoughts.

Wondering when the hell he became so predictable, Logan thought of a way to start explaining without sounding like a complete idiot. His mind drawing a blank, he sat there waiting for......something. Thankfully, Rogue spoke up,

"Do yah remember what yah did when Ah came ta get yah in Genosha?"

Logan shifted uncomfortably at the mention of the thing he least wanted to talk about. "Yeah, I do."

Rogue raised an eyebrow, and Logan cursed himself for being so whipped. "I kissed you."

Not wanting to loose the courage, Rogue took in a deep breath, "So how come yah nevah brought it up again?"

Logan sat up even straighter and clearly flustered, stammered on, "I thought you didn't want to talk about it so I never did."

"Why?"

Not knowing quite how to put it, Logan shrugged his shoulders.

"Why?"

Knowing she would pester him until sundown if necessary, Logan searched his mind for a reason. "Well, because I'm your best friend and...we were probably gonna die and ...you had just gone through an awful lot..."

"So was it like kissing your sister?"

Giving up on the whole notion that he could escape the conversation with any bit of dignity, Logan took a deep breath and confessed. After all, this awkwardness couldn't go on forever.

"No, it wasn't. I think I've been kissed enough times to know. And that definitely felt good, but well, I thought it'd be best for you to just forget it ever happened and be your friend instead. You were not in good shape."

Logan exhaled slowly at the memory and looked up at Rogue. It was hard to read the expression on her face, but he watched her carefully as she got up and walked over to the jewelry box she kept on her dresser. Pulling out a red velvet pouch, she reached in and took out a plain silver bracelet.

Snapping it on she turned to face Logan as realization hit him. It was identical to the one that Scott wore. The one that allowed him to finally control his powers. Rogue must have had hers all along. Looking up at her strange expression, Logan raised an eyebrow in confusion, but his protest was cut short as Rogue pushed him down on the bed. Her legs were firmly planted on either sides of his hips and Logan tried hard to steady his breathing. Settling over him, Rogue bore into his eyes for an endless moment before licking her lips and smiling softly,

"So tha way ah figure it, sugah, Ah owe yah ah kiss fer comin' ta get me."

Logan smiled back as he brushed Rogue's white bangs out of her face, "Ah figure you're right."

And so she kissed him.


The End.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1232