24 by Dark Ferrett
Summary: You'll figure it out by the end.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2665 Read: 2355 Published: 03/21/2007 Updated: 03/21/2007

1. Chapter 1 by Dark Ferrett

Chapter 1 by Dark Ferrett
Author's Notes:
Dedicated to Sorciere, this fic's for you.
1 – An outstretched hand covered in dark blue satin. A slight smudge of white up close. Maybe a smile.

2 – A brown haired girl with a white stripe smiling brightly. Yup, the first was a smile. Huge eyes. Real pretty, but kinda sad looking. Hey, are those long gloves? I thought only strippers and beauty queens wore those. Maybe this pack will have some kinky stuff. I'm sick of cruises and weddings already.

3 – A bad-ass looking guy, with a beer watching television with another one in red shades. Looks pissed. Not the kind of guy I'd like to bump into. And Shades is an all-American J. Crew looking pretty boy. What's with the smile? Probably lovers. Mr. Bad-ass might be in denial or something.

4 – A cute little blonde making out with some kid on a sofa. Totally oblivious. Maybe this pack will be promising.

5 – A redhead in a lab coat, eating a powdered doughnut. She was caught off guard and trying to block with an outstretched hand. What a mess. Should have stuck to the croissants, babe.

6 – Group photo of a bunch of kids outside in the yard. There goes blondie and her Casanova. Geez, is everyone in this place gorgeous or something? And do they all wear designer duds? Looks like a spread for the yearbook. Yup, this one will end up taped up on a mirror or something. There's gloves girl off in the corner. Definitely sad and still covered up while everyone else is in shorts and tanks. As a matter of fact, she looks like she's purposely trying to hide. Probably burned or something. That's a shame.

7 – A long haired guy shaving in a bathroom. Not very focused and dark, which means no flash. This one's probably blackmail for something. Hey! There's a white haired woman in the shower! No. Yea, there is. Hope she's not like old and stuff. Weird.

8 – And another one. Tall guy is taking a peak inside the stall. Gross!! Mutants or not, some folks are just sickos.

9 – Some blue guy hanging upside down reading a book. Okay. Now that's a first.

10 – The white haired chic! And damn, she's gorgeous! Never mind that she's floating yoga style in meditation, a few feet off the floor in a garden. I mean damn! Gorgeous. Completely. What are those critters in her lap though? They look kinda slinky. Oh shit. They're eating a banana! Next.

11 – Mr. Bad-ass working out. Steroids. Definitely. And put a shirt on or something, cause nobody's impressed. That can't be natural. No way. I'd bet my comic collection that it's not. Nope. And is that gel in his hair?

12 – The gloves chic again. Looking out a window. Kinda beautiful in the light, but still so sad. Must be a friend of this person's cause she seems to follow her around a lot.

13 – Hey, it's Shades, hugging powdered doughnut lady from behind. So he's hetero. I wonder if he's seen her eat though? That's just plain scary. Must have though, cause they look hitched. And not because of the rings. They just got that `we have scheduled sex on Sundays' look. Just like my parents. Ewwww. Next.

14 – Mr. Bad-ass again, on a bike no less. This person must have a death wish or something `cause now he's looking pissed. Real pissed. And what's with the eyebrow? Is that like that wrestler or something? With the cigar, he really is trying too hard. I don't like him. At all.

15 – Oh shit, that guy's on fire!! No wait, he's not really on fire. I think. I hope. Just kinda holding it. Too weird. Mutants, go fig.

16 – Gramps in a wheelchair. Looks rich. I mean, who wears three piece suits to have coffee when everyone else has slippers and robes on. With Shades and powdered lady, who has her eyes half-closed and is wolfing down a Danish. Someone should supervise her around the sweets, 'cause that can't be good. And do they have matching robes on?? No way!! Wait, oh shit, I see initials……S? Smith probably. They look bland like that.

17 – It's the tall guy that somehow managed to score with white-haired lady, playing with a deck of cards. What a lucky son of a ho. I'd be tracking her down instead. Funny, cause no one else has it, but he's got some serious red eye.

18 – It's gloves chic again. She's so sad looking, she's like making me feel for her and stuff. But at least she's with someone, I think. Kinda hard to see that far away, especially when he's in the shade, but it's a man. I could tell. Standing a little ways off. They're talking, but the distance between them doesn't look very promising.

19 – Oh shit!! It's the Bad-ass and he's with gloves girl! So that's who that was. They were the ones talking. I could be way off base here, but I think he's nervous. Let me see……yup, definitely. Hands in pockets, a little distant, shifty look. I can't believe it, but he's actually trying to kick it to her. Who would have thunk it? And it's odd `cause she's like a kid compared to him. Oh well, to each his own. She looks like she needs company badly. Even Mr. Bad-ass will do, I suppose.

20 – Oh gawd, it's the fire guy again! He looks like a deer caught in headlights. And he's reading a porno or something. Damn that's funny! I don't know what I'd do if someone caught me doing that. Which reminds me, I got to stop by the Quick Mart after work.

21 – Geez, it's those little rats again. I know for sure this person is a chic now. Only a girl would put bows on little critters and then take a picture. I'll never understand chicks. Insane.

22 – Panoramic group shot. A birthday, I think. As a matter of fact, the huge banner says so. And that's an awful lot of people. Rumor has it, this place is an orphanage-school of some sort so it makes sense. Let me see, I can spot almost everyone; Shades and powdered doughnut lady in matching sweaters dispensing punch, Blondie and her boyfriend at it on a bench, Red-eye and the white-haired goddess dancing way closer than necessary on the deck, and Fire guy in the process of being chased by Blue furry guy for spilling something on him. The whole gang's present and accounted for, except……yea, there she goes. Like always, gloves girl is off by the wayside, drinking a coke with her little half-smile. And if I'm not mistaken, it's her shindig. You can tell by the way she's sitting among the presents they had apparently just opened. Guess she didn't get what she wanted, though these folks look loaded. Gramps is overseeing everything like God himself. Too bad she's not happy. Nothing worse than being unhappy at your own party.

23 – This one's dark and low to the ground. This chic has some major voyeuristic tendencies. I'm gonna definitely have to meet her. And it's the birthday girl again, in the garden my goddess was floating in earlier. It looks sort of nice in the dark. It's much later, I could tell because she looks tired and her shoes are off. Wait……the gloves are off too, and she's not burned or scarred. No, even in the dark I could see all that pale skin. Shit. Wonder what the deal is.

24 – Same thing, only Mr. Bad-ass is there with her this time. What a damned difference that made. She looks happier and they're talking softly. He's definitely getting his mack on. I know that's stupid to say, but I could tell. He's leaning into her slightly, even though she's further down on the bench and sort of looking down and twiddling with her fingers. I could even make out the blush on her face. Didn't think girls actually did that anymore. The odd thing is that the gloves are tucked into Mr. Bad-ass' back jean pocket. I wonder how……I got it, she must have went to put them back on, but he took them away. That's nice `cause I would bet anything she has them on all day. And she looks happy. The only smile I've seen on her that looks genuine. So maybe Mr. Bad-ass wasn't all bad. Anyone that could make glove girl smile, is okay in my book.

Cameron looked up from number 24 with a slight smile. So maybe he a was creep for looking at other people's photos, but every now and then it was worth it. And not just for the kinky stuff. Some was actually entertaining. You catch a glimpse of a life that isn't yours and get to see people for who they really are. Still sick, but sure beats studying.

He stuffed all the photos back into the paper envelope, still wondering whatever happened to gloves chic and her hairy suitor, when a great idea occurred to him. Withdrawing the photos inside the envelope once again, Cameron spilled the brown negative strips on the work station and flipped on the light that illuminated the table from the inside. Sorting through the proofs, he bumped across the one he was looking for. Picking it up carefully by the edges and walking over to the huge processing machine, he dropped it in and pressed the commands for the machine to start processing. With a grin, he went back to stuff the other negatives back into the envelope, hoping there was still time before closing to see them, since that's when everybody rushed in last minute.

Anxiously closing down shop, Cameron tried to keep busy while the giant machine hummed. Most cameras took more than 24 pictures, being that the roll has space for more, but it was store policy to just develop the first 24 and no more. People tried to get away with a few extras, but Cameron's cheap-ass manger explained that a few extra picture per customer ended costing him a whole lot. Almost done with counting the day's receipts, Cameron jumped when the machine beeped. He grinned at how ridiculous he was acting over a few non-naked pictures and went to see what had developed. There were only two, but he examined each carefully.

26 – Gloves girl had her head tossed back and her eyes closed in laughter. The bad-ass was laughing too, but more watching her than anything. The feelings he had for her, reflected in that look. It was true love and devotion rolled into one. Cameron hadn't seen too many looks like that in his seventeen years of life on the planet, but he recognized it nonetheless. He was closer too, having slid down on the bench to almost touch knees. Go you!! His arm was lazily looped over the back of the bench, almost touching her, but not quite. He didn't seem the type to be a gentleman, but he was. Cameron could tell. His other hand was reaching into his motorcycle jacket and he was holding something. Cameron's eyebrows went up and he turned to the next picture quickly.

27 – Cameron's smile grew across his face as he looked at the last photo. It was them again and this time, there was a present. That's what the bad-ass had in his pocket. Gloves chic had opened it, the pink tissue having fallen by her feet. She was holding threaded in her fingers what looked like tiny gold dog-tags. Cameron leaned over and moved under the light, trying to see if he was right. Yes, yes he was. He had never heard of getting a girl dogtags, but apparently it was a good thing because she was giving bad-ass a look that spoke volumes. The bad-ass looked pleased, but mostly smitten. So did she. Guess she did get what she wanted. The smile that graced her face was awesome and by the easy closeness of their bodies, Cameron could tell it was a turning point for them both. People don't share looks like that, just because. It meant something and for the first time ever, Cameron figured he wanted some of what they shared. Someone to look at him like that. Lost in thoughts that scared him more than a little, Cameron failed to hear the door chime.

"Dude, are you okay?"

Cameron snapped his head up and dropped the photo he had in his hands. Jubilee looked at him a little questioningly and snapped her gum loudly.

"Yea, umm, can I help you?"

Jubilee tossed the little white tear off receipt on the counter with a smile while she looked Cameron up and down shamelessly.

"Pick-up, cutie pie."

Cameron picked up the receipt with a quirky smile and stumbled to the giant shelving system. This girl was checking him out in the worse way. And she was cute. Maybe he could ask her out afterwards. He flashed her a smile and looked down at the receipt. His heart fell to the floor as he recognized the name.

J. Lee.

Jubilee grinned knowingly from where she was standing and tapping her long yellow acrylic nails on the counter.

"I believe those were the ones you were scoping out, dollface."

Cameron turned a complete shade of red before slowly walking back to the counter.

"It's not…what…"

"So you weren't looking at my photos?"

Cameron ruffled his hair in complete embarrassment and Jubilee leaned forward with a smirk.

"Yeah, kinda."

Positive he wouldn't be asking anyone out, Cameron quickly stuffed the photos he was looking over in with the rest in J. Lee's envelope. Clearing his voice, he threw them in a bag and moved to the register.

"Umm, $4.75."

Jubilee tossed him a hopelessly crumbled ten dollar bill and watched with interest as Cameron rung it up. When he extended his hand to give her back her change, she took the opportunity to grab it and not let go.

"They make a cute couple, huh?"

Cameron looked up, startled and a little turned on by this girl's boldness.

"Uhh, yea, sure…did they?"

"Shag? Like on a regular basis, I'm so glad to report."

Cameron felt himself get even more redder.

"I was gonna ask if they ended up together."

Jubilee chuckled and let go, adding another square of Bubblicious to her already huge wad.

"Yea, that too."

Cameron took his hand back and wondered how to broach the subject. Jubilee glanced at her watch and looked outside. St. John was honking the horn.

"Look cutie, you wanna go hang with me and my friends? We're headed to the Cineplex."

Cameron leaned over to see who was honking. He recognized the fire guy and not to mention the couple making out in the back. He grinned at Jubilee.

"Umm, sure, but don't you think I'm a perv or something? You don't even know my name."

Jubilee smacked her gum and pointed at the nametag with her most playful smile.

"Your name is Cameron, and I'm Jubilee. I was the one hiding in the bushes to photograph those two, so I'm pretty sure I'm the bigger perv. Plus you're cute and I need a date. What do you say, babe?"

Cameron smiled to match Jubilee's.

"Gimme five minutes to close up."

"You got three."

Jubilee winked and sauntered out in her four inch platform sneakers, leaving Cameron to stare at her retreat before jumping into action. Flipping the lights and machines off, he jumped over the counter, grabbing J. Lee's photos and his jacket on the way out. With a 'hey' to the others, and an appreciative glance at St. John's cherry red Mustang, Cameron jumped into the car next to Jubilee, who immediately grafted a hand to his thigh. Cameron smiled at her before placing an arm around her shoulder and figured the day could only get better from there on in. Who knew?
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1225