Conflict and Resolution by Shadowlady
Summary: Jean's up to her old tricks...and it's causing problems.
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 9488 Read: 4833 Published: 03/09/2007 Updated: 03/09/2007

1. Chapter 1 by Shadowlady

Chapter 1 by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
I don't know if this is finished or not. Any and all feedback is welcome!
Summary: When Scott gets tired of having Jean faun over Logan, things come to a head and he gives Logan a choice, one that proves hazardous to the health and welfare of the mansion residents when Rogue gets wind of the situation.

*****

Grinding his teeth Scott glared at Jean and Logan who were occupying a table in the dining hall. Logan looked only slightly less interested in what was on his plate than what Jean was saying. Moving toward them he greeted her with warmth, barely sparing a glance at Logan before sinking into a chair and leaning back to listen as Jean tried to get Logan interested in teaching a class that afternoon.

“Come on Logan, I’m not asking you for much. There is no way I can teach this class this afternoon, its only literature,” Jean was nearly begging.

“Jean if I teach lit your poor kids’ll be havin’ nightmares for weeks. There are enough of us with nightmares, don’t need more,” Logan grunted and shifted, his gaze darting to the door where Rogue stood with a shy smile in their direction.

“But Logan,”

“No buts,” he grunted and shifted waving Rogue closer with a shift of his head. As the teen settled next to him at the table, he shifted the conversation away from teaching and to the game on ESPN at seven. “So you watching the Flames later?”

“Wouldn’t miss it!” Rogue grinned, “Seems they’re playing the Sea Hawks so it should be a good game.”

“Oh brother,” Jean muttered eying Rogue for a moment before she excused herself and hurried off to the lab. With spring came all sorts of shots, accidents, and illnesses, but it was more to hide her anger at having Logan turn her down than catch up on her work.



Moving through the hall Logan paused and glanced up as he realized that a ladder stood in his way, “What the hell?” The low grunt was filled with confusion as he stared at Jean at the top fiddling with the light fixture on the wall.

“Hey Logan,” Jean smiled down at him slightly, the butterflies in her stomach making her nauseous. This was supposed to look innocent, like she hadn’t planned it for days even as she purposely let go of the rung, pretending to fall and trusting Logan’s fast reflexes to catch her before she cracked her head.

Catching her Logan stepped back, bracing himself and stared at the woman who’d wrapped herself around him. “You okay?”

“Uh yeah, thanks,” Jean sighed shakily, hoping he wouldn’t pick up on her desire too quickly.

“What the hell is going on?” Scott’s voice was low, furious as Jean whirled to face him, her face flushed and her heart pounding.

“Don’t ask me,” Logan growled at One Eye, “I was headed for my room.”

“Yeah, I can see that. With my fiancé.”

“I was not..” Logan shook his head, his anger boiling just under his control. He wasn’t going to let Scott push him into a confrontation no matter how much the younger man wanted it.

“Whatever Logan,” Scott snarled and slid a glance at Jean. God when would she realize that throwing herself at Logan was pointless? He had no intention of ever being anything more than the animal he was. “Jean?”

“I..I..fell..”

Nodding Scott smiled coldly, “Perhaps you should go lay down Jean, you look a little flushed.”

With a nod Jean scurried off, Scott was livid, his entire body fairly quivered with rage as she darted past him for their room.

Eying Logan Scott shook his head, “I try to think I’ve been more than patient with this situation..”

“Spit it out Scooter,” Logan growled his hands clenched into fists.

“You’ve got an hour to get the hell outta here; I don’t care where you go, or even how you get there. If you are still here in an hour, I swear to God I will blast you into so many pieces you won’t be able to heal,” Scott said softly, the threat clear. Leave or die.

“Since when are you the resident with the power? Thought that was Chuck’s call,” Logan ground out.

“Trust me you don’t wanna mess with me over this. I can make things very unpleasant for everyone involved,” Scott said dropping his gaze to the chain that once housed Logan’s tag but now held the tag Rogue had given him hanging around his neck then back at his face.

Paling Logan realized who he meant, “You wouldn’t dare.”

“Wouldn’t I? How many times do you have to be told to leave my girl alone?”

“Hello, she fell on me. I sure as hell didn’t fall on her.”


“You’re wasting packing time Logan,” Scott snarled, “Time that could ultimately cost you your fuckin’ head.”

Staring at him Logan shrugged; he had no doubt that the little fucker would try it. The only problem was how to tell Rogue, because she had a right to know. Letting his mind wander over thoughts of where she would be he sighed silently, she was in class right about now, “I didn’t start this Scott, had nothing to do with it. But if my leaving will make you feel better, I’m gone.”

Watching the other man stalk off down the hall toward his room Scott felt something within him shift. He knew Logan hadn’t started anything with Jean, as much of a prick as he was at times, Logan had never done more than just flirt. No it was Jean who had acted like a fool and that bothered him.


Tossing his gear into his bag, Logan collected everything within the room and glanced around, there was nothing left to pack. No trace that he had been there and it hurt. He had come to think of this place as home, of these people as the family he hadn’t known he wanted, but mostly he knew that this was where Rogue was, where his heart would stay when he left. He didn’t want to leave, but he knew that Scott wouldn’t ease up, and he worried that his hostility would spill over onto her.

“Hey,” Rogue’s soft voice had him glancing at the doorway.

“Hey kid,” Logan turned sinking onto the edge of the bed as she walked further into the room and sat next to him.

“Dr Grey and Mister Summers are having a discussion in the study,” Rogue smiled sadly. “Could hear ‘em screaming at each other through the doors. Couldn’t hear what they’re saying but you could hear their voices.”

Nodding Logan reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a cell phone, “Here.”

“What’s this?”

“A cell, number’s on the card in the case,” Logan said softly his eyes haunted. “The numbers for my phone actually...”

“Why do I need a cell phone?” Rogue whispered and glanced around the room for the first time to see it was empty of everything that had made it Logan’s personal domain. “You’re leaving again?”

Closing his eyes at the pain in her voice Logan nodded slightly, “I have no choice Marie. Scott wants me out, I can’t. I won’t take the risk that his hostility will boil over onto you. I won’t be far away, you need me you phone.”


“I’m always going to need you Logan,” Rogue said struggling with the tears.

“I know,” pulling her close he nuzzled into her hair. “You’re the most important person to me Marie, I don’t give a shit about anyone or anything but you, and you’re mine. I won’t see you get hurt.”

“Then I’ll come...”

“Scott wouldn’t let you,” Logan whispered sadly. The desire to shred the prick was intense, racing through him and stirring the Wolverine from his sleep but Logan kept control, “And I don’t know about you but spending time in jail isn’t my idea of fun.”

Nodding Rogue hugged him tighter, “You promise you won’t be far.”

“I promise. I’ll be at the other end of this,” Logan tapped the phone. “Granted I’m going to be moving around but you need anything baby, anything, call me.”

Nodding Rogue shifted as Logan stood grabbing for his bag, “Be careful Logan, please.”

Smiling Logan leaned over to kiss her forehead, a slight brush of his lips against her pale skin, pulling back before her mutation could kick in, “I will.” he said smiling.

“Logan,” Rogue paused and Logan turned to stare at her from the doorway, “I’m eighteen in four months. Can I come to you then?”

“Baby, in four months you can come to me,” Logan whispered softly. “Just be sure that’s what you want because I won’t let you go if you do.”

Nodding Rogue watched him walk away, hiding her anger, her fear that he would move on without her, hiding her pain. Leaning on the doorjamb she glanced at the cell phone in her hand. Seeing the familiar piece of metal, the tears started and she slammed the door, moving to the window to stare out over the driveway and watch him take off on Scott’s bike again.

“Be safe Logan,” she whispered putting her hand flat on the glass. “For the love of God be safe.”



Professor Xavier eyed the empty chair that was usually occupied by Logan at dinner and frowned. Where had he gone? He didn’t know of any leads on the man’s past, or anything that would have alerted him to leaving and he wondered why Logan was absent.

“Has anyone seen Logan?”


“Not since this afternoon,” Jean replied softly without glancing up from her plate. Scott had been livid, in fact he’d demanded his ring back and she wondered if that meant Scott was planning on leaving her.

“Hmm, strange.”

“Very. Logan and Rogue were supposed to watch the game tonight,” Storm said glancing at the silent occupant of a table a few feet away.

Rogue sat with her back to the head table, her long hair pulled up into a knot on top her head, a short sleeved shirt draped over her curves easily, revealing her bare arms! She sat alone, silently, sullenly eating her dinner, ignoring anyone who spoke to her even as she finished her meal.

Rising she picked up her tray and headed past the head table to drop it off in the dirty dishes pile, “Evening Professor Xavier,” she said softly, “Storm.”

“Good evening Rogue,” Storm said then noted the flash of metal around her neck. Logan’s tag hung over her shirt, in plain view for everyone to see. “Have you seen Logan?”

“Not since he left,” Rogue said firmly then glanced at Scott and Jean with a cold fury before moving on.

“Left?” Charles sighed, “That isn’t possible. He was suppose to..”

“No he left,” Scott snapped and rose to stalk out of the room ignoring Jean completely.

“Jean?”

With a half hearted shrug she hid behind her cup of coffee. He had left, after Scott threw him out!


Sauntering into the common room Rogue plopped her butt on the sofa and picked up the remote before turning the game on. Catching movement out of the corner of her eye she glared coldly at Scott as he moved into view.

“Somethin’ you wanted Fearless Leader?” she asked lethally.

“Rogue this is for the best. Logan is...”

“My best friend,” Rogue growled turning away from Scott to stare at the television. “And he isn’t scared of me.”

“Rogue no one is scared of you.”


“Bullshit,” Rogue snarled. “Everyone in this building is terrified of me. The girl with deadly skin, I’m not stupid. Did you think I wouldn’t find out? That he would leave without talking to me?” she demanded, “If you did you were sadly mistaken. Now if you don’t mind Mister Summers, I have a game to watch.”

With a wordless nod Scott rose and padded out of the room, glancing once over his shoulder at Rogue who sat so still, her back straight her eyes focused on the game before her. How typical of a teenager to just fall back into a routine, to hide behind normalcy rather than deal with what had happened. Poor Rogue, probably thought Logan would return one day for her, Scott thought as he walked away.

Only someone who knew her well, someone who knew her inside and out would have seen the pain in her eyes, seen the loathing, the desperate need to destroy something. Had Logan been standing in the room he could have told Scott he was in for trouble that Rogue was hurting, and when she suffered she wanted to torture. But Logan wasn’t in the room and there was no warning of what was to come.



Jerking out of a sound sleep Scott sat up at the loud crash from just outside of his room. Glancing at the still sleeping figure next to him he shook his head and rose to check it out. Jerking open the door he stared at the pile of broken glass in front of his door.

Glancing up and down the hallway he didn’t see anyone and he frowned, Logan had been gone for a week now and every morning something would shatter against his door waking him. He wondered briefly if Logan’s belligerence had stuck around then shook his head at his own stupidity.

“What happened?”

“Another vase,” Scott shot back. It had been a week since he’d touched her; a week since he’d spoke a civil word to her and his pain hadn’t eased. He wondered if this betrayed feeling would ever leave him, because getting rid of Logan hadn’t made Jean turn back to him. Instead she’d thrown herself into her work, into teaching, into everything but him and it hurt.

“The Professor’s going to have kittens if it doesn’t stop,” Jean stated rising and gathering her clothes for the day before she padded to the bathroom, closing the door soundly.

Half an hour later they sat at the breakfast table eying Rogue, who was sitting with her friends, ignoring them. Again her hair had been pulled up out of the way, her neck was bare accept for the chain that decorated it and she had on short, baseball type gloves.

“So how’s it going?” Jubes asked softly eying Rogue who had put makeup on this morning to cover the ravages of the tears she’d cried last night.

With a half hearted shrug Rogue grinned, “Good.”

“Girl you spent the night in tears, how can that be good.”

“You wouldn’t understand.”

“Try me,” Jubilee said glancing at Kitty who was leaning forward as well.

“I talked to him.”

“Ooh,” Jubes smiled widely. “Is he coming back? Where is he?”

“I don’t know where he is. And no he isn’t coming back,” Rogue said softly glancing coldly at the head table. “Look I need some help.”

“Okay. We’re friends chica, whatcha need.”

“Someone to cover for me while I go into town.”

“You want to go shopping?”

“No, actually I’m going to take some tests and stuff. Please,” Rogue asked softly. “I don’t know any other way to do this. Besides think how much fun it’ll be to stump the resident asshole and his bitch.”

Sharing a telling look Jubilee and Kitty shrugged, “You got it.”

Smiling Rogue finished her breakfast and headed off to get changed. She was going into town to take her drivers license, assuming she passed it. She’d get a set of wheels and when she turned eighteen she’d be gone.



The common room was full as Rogue walked into it that night, a long necked bottle of beer loosely swinging from her hand as she moved over to sit next to Bobby on the couch. Taking a long pull she snickered at the disapproving look from the young man to her right, “What? You’d drink it if they weren’t here,” she muttered nodding at the three adults in the room.

“That ain’t the point,” Bobby hissed back. “You’re gonna get kicked out..”

“Ooh now there’s a scary thought,” Rogue growled taking another pull on her beer.

“Rogue what are you drinking?” Jean asked slowly eying the girl.

“Uh,” Rogue made a show of looking at the label. “Coors Jeannie and it’s the shits. Molsen’s better.”

Sighing Jean stared at her, “You can’t drink. You’re under age..”


“So? Being of age doesn’t give you the right to do everything you want to do anyway,” Rogue said taking another swig of beer and crossing her booted feet on the coffee table. Her eyes filled with a hostile knowledge that had Jean flushing slightly.

“Rogue this is serious,” Jean snapped rising to snatch the beer from Rogue’s hand only to find the bottle empty. She glanced at Rogue again, not entirely sure she had seen the awareness in the girl’s eyes and felt her heart sink. Oh yes, Rogue was aware of her actions, aware of the reason for Logan’s departure and it meant she was the target of all of the girl’s ire.

“Thanks Jeannie, mind getting me another one while you’re up?” Rogue asked using a booted foot to slide her out of her line of sight. “Wow, you watching cartoons Bobby?”

“I was,” Bobby grunted eying the girl next to him. She’d been acting awfully weird since Logan had left, probably just acting out like she always did when he was gone. As much as he hated the other man, Bobby wished he’d hurry the fuck up and get back so Rogue would go back to being normal.

“Rogue you can’t drink on the premise..” Scott started.

“Stuff if Scooter, you’re interfering with my viewing,” Rogue snapped glaring at him before shifting, leaning around the pair to stare at the television. Glancing up at the clock she smiled slightly. Jumping to her feet she hurried from the room, she made a short detour into the kitchen to grab another beer before darting upstairs to Logan’s room.

Sinking onto the edge of the bed after locking the door she unfolded her cell phone and dialed in the now familiar number.

“Hey babe,” Logan’s slow drawl had her grinning.

“Hi. What are you doing?”

“Watching this game on the tube, man what I wouldn’t give for a good channel,” Logan groused.

“Hey guess who I heard from today?” Rogue said after listening to Logan grouse on about the cable at his motel.

“Who?”

“Slayer.”

“What’s he up to?” Logan asked softly, his mind wandering to the young man who resembled him so much. He’d met him the last time he’d been in Canada, both Slayer and his wife Inferno were mutants, but it was Slayer’s past that Logan had found to be most interesting.


He was a test tube baby, created when semen samples taken during an experiment that had been back shelved. In effect he was the son Logan never knew about, course his mother had been another mutant, and a woman who had died shortly after she’d given birth. The army had stuck Slayer into a foster home that was suppose to protect him until he was needed, the Canadian Underground had ended that thought when they’d raided the farm and took the young mutant into their folds. Now at twenty six the young man was well trained, well versed in his association with the Underground, often picking up children and distributing them to the vast network of mutants who took in children and raised them throughout the continent.

“Yeah both he and Inferno are working hard to make sure that things are better. Oh and they just had a baby girl.”

“Guess that makes me a grandfather huh?”

“Yeah, best looking old guy I know.”

Laughing Logan listened to her swallowing. “What are you drinking?”

“Coors, its pissing Jean and Scott off.”

“Go for it, just don’t get drunk. No telling what those pricks’ll do if you are.”

“Don’t worry. I’m saving the rest for this weekend.”

“Good girl, uh oh. Look I got to run baby, the fights are on tonight and if I don’t want to miss ‘em I’d best run. Call me tomorrow, keep safe,” Logan paused. “Love you kid.”

“Love you to,” Rogue said softly and hung up. Yep Logan was fighting again, but fuck he had to have money to live right and besides it wasn’t like he had a choice about his occupation. He was what he was, no way around it.

Lying back sucking on her beer, Rogue let her mind wander to what she really wanted to do to Jean and Scott for throwing Logan out on his ear. He had more than earned their respect, more than earned the right to be living in this mansion. The fact that Jean couldn’t keep her mind above his belt buckle shouldn’t mean he was punished.

With a sad shake of her head she set her beer down and rolled over to fall asleep, her dreams filled with revenge and the number of days until she could be with Logan again.


As the days blended into weeks, Rogue’s attitude became a source of concern for Professor Xavier and Storm who watched the growing animosity between the young woman and Jean and Scott.


“I’m not sure what it is Professor,” Storm said speaking softly as she sat across from him in his office one afternoon, “She seems to have taken a very personal dislike to the fact that Logan left. It would appear that she somehow blames Jean and Scott.”

“I do not know why he would have,” Charles paused thoughtfully, “Had he seemed like he was on the verge of leaving?”

“No, he was happy,” Storm said softly. “He and Rogue were spending a lot of time together, working on everything from her control to his past. I heard them talking once about another mutant, one Logan had met. They were behaving in a normal, mature fashion.”

“Perhaps I should speak to Rogue,” Charles said as the door suddenly flew open and Bobby stuck his head in.

“You gotta come quick, Jean’s um well she’s...”

Following Bobby into the Common Room Charles froze; Jean was picking herself up off the floor, blood flowing from her nose and a pained look on her face. “What happened?”

“Nothing,” Jean snapped.

“She fell,” Rogue said from where she sat innocently in a chair, watching television.

“Rogue is that a beer?”

“Yep,” Rogue said taking a drink.

“You promised you weren’t going to drink,” Storm reminded her softly as she walked toward her.

“I’m not drinking. This stuff is a light beer, as in less than half the regular alcohol.”

“You are so not funny Rogue,” Jean snapped.

“Stuff it Red,” Rogue eyed her coldly. “You’re in my line of sight.”

Stepping to one side Jean glared at the girl, “Do you have any idea what your attitude is doing?”

“My attitude,” Rogue glared at the woman harshly. “My attitude has nothing to do with this situation. Now, move your ass out of my way so I can watch the television bitch or I’ll move it for you.”

“Jean perhaps you should go get cleaned up. Rogue, please come with me,” Charles said softly and turned to head back to his office. Once behind the closed door he sighed, “Rogue I understand you’re upset about Logan being gone...”

“No. I know where he is,” Rogue smiled, her aggression gone. “Another two weeks and I can leave this dump behind me and go to him.”


“Rogue talk to me. What’s going on?”

“What’s going on?” Rogue shrugged indifferently. “I don’t want to be here. I’m finished school so why do I have to stay here?”

“Because you’re...”

“Not of age,” Rogue sighed and slammed her head back against the back of her chair. “Fine I’ll stick around for two weeks then I’m gone. As long as Logan is somewhere else, I’ll be gone.”

“Rogue please, we don’t want you to leave. None of us do,” Charles spoke softly, trying to ease the frustration and anger that lay beneath the calm surface of Rogue’s mind. “But we all know that Logan is prone to disappearing like this. He wouldn’t want you to put yourself at risk.”

Rogue stared at him suddenly, perking up and a twisted smile shot across her face. He didn’t know Scooter hadn’t bothered to tell the Professor that he had kicked Logan out for no good reason. That could be interesting, and prove to be a valuable source of information.

“I’m sure you don’t,” Rogue replied firmly. “Just as I know Logan would never want me to get hurt. Logan cares about me, cares about what happens to me. If he didn’t he wouldn’t do what he does for me.”

“Try to keep your cussing and drinking to a bare minimum,” Charles said softly, hiding a smile. “I will speak to Jean; try to get her to ease up a little.”

“Is cool,” Rogue rose smoothly, “I’ll deal with it myself.”

“Rogue,” Charles paused while she turned to stare at him, her hand on the door knob. “You know where he is?”

“Yes,” Rogue nodded with a warm smile at the thought.

“You know when he’s coming back?”

“He isn’t coming back,” Rogue said opening the door and closing it quickly, ignoring the shocked look on Charles’s face. Walking down the hallway she ignored the looks the students gave her as she smiled on her way back to the Common Room.


Sitting quietly at his desk, Charles stared at the door for a long time Rogue’s words echoing in his mind over and over again. “He isn’t coming back.” The refrain had Charles frowning, and then he whirled his chair and rolled to the window.


Why would Logan up and run at this late a date? Charles was certain that there was more to this than what he was being told but short of delving into the minds of those around him, or even Logan he wouldn’t find out.

With a sad sigh he glanced once more at the closed door, damn it this wasn’t supposed to happen. The team needed Logan, needed the ruthless skills the man had and this indifference on the part of some team members was surprising. With a sad shake of his head he turned away from his thoughts, focusing instead on the business of running a school, as certain as he could be that the situation would work itself out.




Sitting at the bar watching the television Logan sighed, a half empty bottle of beer hanging loosely from his fingers. The desire to go get Rogue was strong, pulling at him with an almost desperate physical ache but he held himself steady. Just a couple more weeks, a few more days then she’d be free to leave the school, free to come and go as she pleased.

There were moments in the darkest part of the night when he wondered if she would come to him, if she would willingly give up everything to be with him. He knew she understood what he’d meant when he left, if she joined him, if she came to him he wouldn’t be letting her go anytime soon. In fact she would be stuck with him until death parted them and he wanted her to know that, wanted her to understand that.

Shifting he growled low in his throat, he hoped she wasn’t taking too much heat from Scooter and Jean. Fuckin’ prick thinking what he’d been thinking about Jean, what no one at that school seemed to understand was that Logan did NOT want Jean, hadn’t since he’d left the first time, but Scooter still saw him as a threat.

He couldn’t help it if Jean didn’t understand the word no, if she wouldn’t accept that he wasn’t interested in her. No his whole world revolved around Rogue, around a girl-woman who owned him from the soul out. Shaking off his thoughts Logan took another pull off his beer and glanced at the door as a shaft of light filtered across the floor breaking the darkness.

A crooked grin crossed his face when he recognized the young man standing there, “Hey kid, what brings you this far from home?”

“Business,” the younger man drawled sitting next to him at the bar. “There’s a problem.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah, Slayer’s down in the states...”

“What for?” Logan asked softly, “He doesn’t cross the border often.”

“Went to pick up Inferno,” the young man said ordering a coffee and pulling out a pack of cigarettes. “She was at a pick-up, things went sour and she got caught in the line of fire.”

“Is she okay?”

The young man shook his head, “Nope. Got word two days ago that she was dead, the mark’s okay, Slayer’s going to take him in but Inferno was killed. Never heard Slayer so mad in my entire life.”

“Maybe he wasn’t mad.”

“Sure he was grief stricken but there was this level of fury beneath it that frankly scared the shit outta me.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, he was acting like his old man,” the young man glanced at Logan out of the corner of his eye. “Complete with throwing adamantium around.”

“That’s the curse of living with it in your body,” Logan drawled sucking on his beer, his mind racing. With Inferno dead, Slayer would be hard to control, hard to pin and he wondered if the young man was going to go after her killers. “What about the kids?”

“Kids are fine, all out at the farm. Mom’s watching over them for him.”

“So what are you going to do now?”

“Me, I’m just here to see if you’re coming to the funeral. For some reason Mom figures with you there, Slayer might be a little more tame.”

“Or he might be interested in getting the fuckers that murdered her.”

“Mom figures you can help him with that to.”

“Your mother is a pain in the ass.”

“I know, but you gotta love her.”

“Tell your mother I’ll be there. I’ll head over right after I get my stuff from my room..”

“Already done. It’s in the truck, along with your bike. Ricki helped me load everything up before she headed back to the farm,” The young man said.

“You get my cell?”

“Yeah, it’s in the cab.”


Nodding Logan rose, grabbing his cigars and heading for the door. “Come on, I’ll let Rogue know when she calls me tonight.”

“When you gonna nail her?”

“Watch it kid,” Logan growled angrily, his body tensing.

“Sorry, no disrespect meant. I mean you’ve been in love with her forever, don’t see why the two of you don’t just get married, have a couple more kids and live happily ever after.”

“Trust me I plan on it,” Logan grinned suddenly. “Right after she gets here.”

Shaking his head he pulled the driver’s door open, “Really.”

“Yeah, now get over Radar I’m driving.”

“Oh brother,” Radar grinned and moved over unwilling to argue with the Wolverine.


Sitting in the cafeteria Rogue glared at Jean who glared back at her, it wasn’t her fault that the other woman had been unable to sleep. Hell no-one else had complained the entire night about the loud music that Rogue had been playing. Course no one but a telepath could hear it and Rogue grinned evilly at the thought that Jean was the only one to suffer since the Professor slept in a sequestered portion of the mansion so he didn’t pick up on the dreams of the students at night.

As soon as she was finished her breakfast Rogue headed for the Common Room, skipping her first class. Who needed advanced calculus when you weren’t planning on being a scientist? Sinking in front of the television she picked up the remote and flicked it on.

“Rogue, you have class in five minutes..” Jean started.

“Go to hell Jean,” Rogue replied softly, her tone a thinly veiled threat. “And get off my back”

“You can’t just walk around acting like Logan,” Jean snapped angrily. She stepped back when Rogue leapt to her feet and whirled to glare at her, her brown eyes flashing with fury.

“Because of you Logan is gone. Because of you I’m stuck in this hell hole for a few more weeks. As far as I am concerned, if I want to walk around sounding, acting like Logan that is my business. You don’t like it? Tough shit, I don’t care,” Rogue snarled. “I don’t care any more about your little problems than you did about what you were doing when you got him thrown out..”

“I did not...”

“No?” Rogue waved a hand and looked around, “Do you see him here? I sure as shit don’t.”


“Your attitude is not appropriate...”

“Fuck you Jean; I don’t need to listen to this. I don’t have any interest in what you’re babbling about. Go find someone else’s life to ruin.”

“Don’t use that tone with me,” Jean snapped angrily. “I think this was the best thing in the world. With Logan gone things are relatively quiet around here; there isn’t this tension that seemed to permeate every room he was in.”

“Funny from where I’m standing seems to me there is a lot of tension,” Rogue whispered stepping right up to Jean, getting in her face in a move that was clearly meant to intimidate. “And the only tension in the room when Logan was still here was in your head, and had nothing to do with his attitude.”

“Get to class,” Jean said taking a deep breath. “Before you wind up on cleaning detail.”

“Kiss my ass,” Rogue snarled turning for the door.

“You think he’s going to come back for you?” Jean asked suddenly, the need to strike out at Rogue taking over. “Think he’s going to break the rules and sweep in from wherever the hell he is and rescue you from the mundane existence here? Get a grip Rogue; Logan wouldn’t do it even if he thought he could get away with it. To him you’re just a kid, a responsibility that ties him down!”

Whirling Rogue stalked back toward Jean, who smirked at her only to flinch when Rogue’s fist crashed into her face, “Logan doesn’t need to sweep in and rescue me Jean. All I gotta do is walk out the door and go to him. See that’s the problem,” Rogue whispered hunkered on her heels over Jean who was slowly picking herself up. “I’ve got him and you don’t.” Rising she stepped over Jean who had moved into a sitting position, bracing herself on her forearms and stalked out the door.

Jean stared after Rogue, her face burning with humiliation as she realized Rogue was right. Logan had never really been hers, Logan wouldn’t die for Jean Grey, nor would he surrender his freedom to watch over her. Instead Logan had done it for Rogue, numerous times and that burned.


Twenty minutes later Jean sat in Professor Xavier’s office with Scott talking about the team, favoring her poor wounded nose.

“I’m sure you’re both aware that I am not entirely happy to know that Logan will not be returning,” Charles was saying.

“Look we don’t need him,” Scott said tiredly.


“Yes we do,” Charles shot back. “Logan’s skills are invaluable to our team effort. He can do what the rest of us would hesitate to do. He’s ruthless, merciless in battle and that’s what we need against some of our enemies.”

“I disagree,” Scott said as Jean shifted, nodding in agreement.

“So do I Professor,” Jean said wincing at the pain from her face. “Logan’s a loose cannon, he would’ve snapped...” pausing at the knock on the door everyone turned when it opened.

“Yes Storm?”

“I’m sorry to bother you Professor, but there’s something you should know.”

“What is it Storm?”

“Rogue’s gone,” Storm said stepping into the room. “She just caught a cab.”

“Where would she go?” Scott demanded rising to his feet. “No one’s even heard from Logan. I don’t think she’d be stupid enough to go after him...”

“She did,” Charles said softly, slowly, thoughtfully. “She knows where he is.”

“How?” Jean demanded.

“She talks to him every night. I think he phones her,” Charles stated quickly. “Get a few things together; we’re going to go after her. With any luck we can catch her before she disappears.”

“Perhaps it would be best to find Logan,” Storm suggested. “There’s no telling how she’s going to get to him. If we knew where he was, we would have better luck finding her.”

“Of course. Give me a few minutes,” Charles said then glanced at Jean and Scott disapproval clear in his gaze, “And we will continue this conversation later.”

“Yes sir.”

Whirring out of the room, Charles headed for Cerebro and locating Logan. With any luck, Logan would be an easy find, if not he’d have to search for Rogue.


Stepping out of the cab Rogue glanced up and down the street before she hurried across it and down into the subway station. Climbing aboard she took the northbound train, settling into her seat with her bag beside her.


Fuck ‘em all, she didn’t want to be there. She wanted to be where Logan was, where the chance at having a normal life was good. Leaning back in her seat she stared out the window as the train rolled out of the station, heading for the station in West Fork. From West Fork she would catch the first truck heading east and go to the farm, with any luck Logan would have stopped off there on his way through.


Rolling into the bay where the Blackbird was parked, Charles looked at the trio who waited impatiently, “You can’t take the Blackbird.”

“Why not?” Scott asked quickly.

“I’m going as well. I want to speak to both Logan and Rogue, if you show up there neither of them will come back.”

“Professor I really don’t think that’s such a good idea. Logan’s too much a loose cannon,” Jean stated again.

“Regardless of how you think of him Jean, we do need him. Logan’s done a lot for us, I think its high time we paid him back,” Charles said quickly, his tone firm, unyielding. “We’re taking the suburban.”

With a slight nod Scott started for the garage, no point in arguing with the Professor. He just wished that Logan was unbending in his resolve to stay gone.

The drive up to West Fork was silent as Jean, Scott, Storm, and Charles watched the miles roll by. Each lost in their own thoughts even as they traveled to an unknown situation.

Charles watched Scott driving silently, his face an expressionless mask as he drove. The other man did not want to be going where they were going, he didn’t want to be anywhere around Logan. What could possibly have happened to make the pair’s love hate relationship suddenly deteriorate to the point that neither man could stand to even be civil to each other.

Opening his mind, Charles settled into his seat.

(Why couldn’t he have just disappeared? Why did he have to come back the first time?) Scott wondered. (More importantly perhaps was why Jean had fallen for him? She knew the kind of man he was, knew that he was unpredictable, uncontrolled and yet she’d fallen for him. Was the baby she carried his? Was Scott going to play daddy to another man’s child?)

Blinking slightly Charles glanced at Jean out of the corner of his eye, she looked lost in thought.

*I didn’t want any of this to happen. I didn’t want to have my entire life fall apart like this. Why couldn’t he have stayed gone? Why didn’t he just take her away with him? Then he wouldn’t have come back, wouldn’t have been there.* Jean sighed, closing her eyes and leaning back in her chair. *I know Scott thinks this baby is Logan’s, but he’s wrong. Logan never once took me up on what I so desperately was offering him. God this is so confusing, so messed up that I don’t know if we’re going to survive this.*


“West Fork is twenty miles away,” Scott said catching Charles’ attention. “Logan is how far past it?”

“Fifteen miles,” Charles replied. “At a farm run by a mutant couple.”

“Any idea where Rogue is?”

“Probably there already. If she isn’t she’s not too far off.”

With a silent nod Scott turned his attention back to his driving, his stomach twisting with unease as they got closer to Logan. He still hadn’t come clean to the Professor about why Logan had left, and that was starting to really bother him.



Hefting her bag Rogue glanced at the battered pickup coming her way and sighed, her ride to the farm had broken down five miles before and she’d started walking rather than wait for someone else to come along.

The older vehicle rolled to a stop a few feet in front of her and Rogue moved calmly towards the cab, shaking her head as she stopped by the open window.

“Hey,” she smiled easily at the young woman who sat behind the wheel.

“Hey, you going far?”

“A farm a few miles up the road..” Rogue started.

“I know it,” the girl replied with a cheeky grin. “They call me Static.”

“Rogue,” jerking open the door she hopped into the cab and slammed the door. “Thanks I appreciate the lift.”

“Anything for a fellow mutant.”

“How can you tell?”

“You mean other than the fact that it’s July and you’re covered from head to toe?” the girl smiled, “Logan’s got a picture of you.”

“You know Logan?”

“Not really, I know Slayer..” the girl paused. “You here for the service?”

“What service?”

“You didn’t know?” Static looked sadly at the dash for a moment, “Inferno was killed. Slayer’s due home tonight with her body and the mark.”

“Oh God,” Rogue paled, her throat becoming choked with tears. “Does Logan know?”

“He found out yesterday,” Static said softly. “We’ve been having to keep him occupied and under surveillance at all times or he was going to go lookin’ for you. Seems you didn’t call him last night.”

“I was on a train,” Rogue whispered tearfully. “I should call him right now..”

“Don’t bother,” Static drawled hitting the direction indicator. “We’re here.”

Nodding Rogue fell silent as the truck bumped up the driveway, flanked on both sides by wide open pastures, trees and a white rail fence. Blinking as the tears pooled she felt them trail down her cheeks, and swallowed her sobs at the thought of losing a friend like Inferno so early in her life.

“Well looks like the boys are out in full force,” Static said pulling to a stop and killing the engine as the front porch of a three story rancher style farm house was suddenly filled with a multitude of people, most of them male of all different ages, sizes, and apparent mutations.

“Looks like,” Rogue whispered softly as she opened her door just as the front door opened and a familiar looking man stepped out, an irate look on his face.

“Static where the hell you been? For some reason every fuckin’ key in the place has disappeared..” Logan trailed off as he realized the passenger door was opening and he caught the familiar scent of a young woman he hadn’t seen in months. “Marie?”

“Hey,” Rogue smiled at him as he hopped off the porch and hurried toward her. Sighing softly when he pulled her into a hard hug she clung to him, letting the tears fall although she wasn’t sure if they were happy or sad tears.

“I missed you Marie,” Logan whispered in her ear.

“I missed you to,” Marie squeeze hard against his chest, her mind at once at ease.

“Do the geeks know where you are?”

“No, I didn’t bother to tell anyone where I was going when I left. Just sorta caught a cab and disappeared.”

“Come on, we’ll get you settled, then you can sit back and relax,” Logan said grabbing her bag and lifting it easily. “Keep your eyes open; knowing the X-geeks they’re probably on their way out here.”

“Probably,” Rogue said eying the group. Some of them were rather easily recognized as belonging to Logan, same dark hair, same hazel eyes, build, but she didn’t think they were all identical to him. “The Professor seemed a tad concerned with me before I left.”

“I can imagine what Scooter was saying..” Logan ground out; thinking of that prick always set him on edge.

“Actually he was probably very glad to see the last of me,” Rogue stated as she grabbed a glass off the counter and poured herself a drink of water. “Considering I broke Jean’s nose.”

Static just gaped at the young woman Logan was so hung up on in amazement, even as Logan frowned slightly.

“Don’t need anyone lecturing me on what you’re going to do,” Rogue shrugged as she offered an explanation. “She said you wouldn’t come back for me even if you could, I drilled her one.”

“Good girl,” Logan grinned at her, tugging gently on the platinum lock of hair by her cheek. “Come on, you can have my bunk.”

“Oh you gonna share?” Rogue grinned at him as he led her through the house.

“Mm, might be talked into it,” Logan grinned at her, pulling her against him with a steely arm. “So you didn’t phone me last night, how come?”

“I was on the train. Tunnel wouldn’t let me get any signal and by the time we got out of it I was already sleeping.”

Nodding Logan opened a door and ushered her into the room with a smile. Closing the door he tossed the bag onto the bed and leaned against the dresser, his arms crossed over his chest, “So Scooter and Jean happy now?”

“I guess,” Rogue shrugged, sinking onto the edge of the bed and meeting Logan’s eyes. “Are you happy?”

“I am now,” Logan shot back easily. “The highlight of my day was your call.”

“Yeah I know what you mean,” Rogue sighed softly a pensive look on her face. “So where we going after the funeral?”

"Where do you want to go?”

“Don’t care, could even stay here as long as we’re together...” Rogue started only to stop when he shoved himself away from the dresser and stalked gracefully toward her, sinking to his knees before her. Feeling a shudder race through her as he put his hands by her hips, effectively pinning her in place, she stared at him.

“We’ll always be together Marie,” Logan whispered softly. “You understand what I mean?”

Smiling Rogue nodded, “I’m never going back. I want to be with you Logan, that isn’t going to change.”

“Good,” Logan said softly as he leaned forward and dropped a kiss on her cheek where her hair covered it. “Cause you’re mine now Marie.”

“I’ve always been yours Logan,” Marie replied softly with a smile. “And you’ve always been mine.”

Recognizing the heated look in her eyes Logan rose smoothly, pulling her to her feet easily, “You hungry?”

“Starved,” Marie replied seriously as Logan shook his head a pained look shifting through his gaze a moment before he pulled her toward the bedroom door.

“Come on, best feed you.”



Pausing at a set of heavy wooden gates Scott glanced at Charles who merely nodded slightly without glancing away from the windshield. With a sigh, Scott put the truck into gear and started down the driveway only to slam on the brakes as a figure dropped down in front of the truck.

“Fuck.”

“Relax Scott, there was bound to be security,” Charles said softly as the figure stood up to his full height of close to seven feet and started walking toward the truck. Catching movement out of the corner of his eye, Charles realized that there were two more guards within sight.

“Fancy truck,” the low rumble from the youth had Charles smiling slightly as he rolled his window down.

“Thank you,” Charles said softly.

“What do you want? This is private property.”

“We’re looking for a couple of friends...” Charles started only to stop when the door was suddenly jerked open and the youth reached in to grab something off the console.

“Take it to Pops,” he grunted tossing it to one of the others who teleported out of sight for a few seconds before returning, landing on the hood of the suburban.

”Well?”


“Apparently they’re the geeks he was taking bout earlier. Said to let ‘em through,” the girl on the hood replied. “And just a word of warning to those of you inside the vehicle. Collectively there’s more firepower here than you’ve got so don’t go getting an itchy trigger finger,” With that the girl vaporized out of sight and the other two stepped back slamming Charles’s door and letting them continue on up the driveway.

Obviously Logan’s been here, Scott muttered crossly as he continued up the driveway.

From her position in the back, Jean watched the house come into view and noted with painful clarity that Logan was indeed standing out front, with Rogue wrapped in his arms, his chin resting on her head, an easy smile on her face.

“Well looks like you were right,” Storm said softly, “Rogue and Logan found each other again.”

“Yeah,” Scott said watching Logan as he bent his head to say something to Rogue who merely smiled and shrugged, snuggling deeper into his chest. “I don’t think she’s going to want to go back to New York with us Professor.”

“She doesn’t,” Charles said as the truck stopped and his door was opened again rather unceremoniously.

“I’m Reafer,” the tall muscular boy stated. “Come on, Radar and Static’ll grab your chair until then, I’m your legs.”

With a muted gasp Charles barely acknowledged the startled looks on the other’s faces as he was lifted from the suburban and carried over to the porch swing.

“You invading for some reason in particular?” Logan growled angrily. “Cause this is a private function.”

“We came to speak to you,” Charles started only to stop when Rogue rolled her eyes and squeezed Logan’s hand.

“Anything you got to say is pointless. Ain’t too interested in what you’re offering,” Logan shot back as Rogue trailed a gloved finger across his wrist in an unconscious move. There was still a lot to work out, details of what they both wanted but they’d make it.

“Please Logan, I realize that your reasons for leaving were your own but can’t we work this out. I strongly believe...”

Rogue’s sharp giggle had Charles stopping and looking at her, “You’re supposed to be a psychic Professor, and you’re trying to tell us you don’t know why Logan left?”


“I don’t. I do not make a habit of prying into other people’s minds without expressed permission.”

“Ask Scooter,” Rogue shifted in Logan’s arms her gaze darting to the team leader who flushed and shifted uneasily. “He can tell you all about Logan’s reason. Now if you don’t mind we’re expecting someone soon and he isn’t going to be in a good mood.”

“He’s temperamental sorta like his Daddy,” Logan grinned at Rogue for a second before tilting his head. “And it looks like Slayer’s coming now.”

“Man he must be devastated,” Reafer drawled glancing at Logan before shrugging sadly. “Can’t be any worse than you Pops.”

“We’ll see,” Logan replied seriously. He doubted Slayer’s control; the man would be frantic and devastated as any man who’d lost a piece of his soul would be. With any luck though they could figure things out and get the bastards that had taken Inferno.

The low slung black truck rolled to a halt beside them and the driver’s door opened to reveal a tall, dark haired man who looked extremely familiar. A moment later a small girl no older than six hopped out of the truck and clung to his leg.

“Hey Pops,” the man’s voice was laced with pain and anger.

“Son, you look like shit.”

“Thanks. Boys, come grab a corner,” the words were terse; pain filled, and garnered an immediate reaction. “You stickin’ round for a while Pops?”

“As long as needed I guess,” Logan replied moving to help his son.

“Found out some Intel,” Slayer said patting the girl’s head, “have an idea who hit them.”

“We’ll talk later,” Logan ground out with a dark look at the X-men, “Right now let’s get Inferno out of this rig.”

With a quick jerking nod Slayer stepped toward the back of the truck only to smile sadly as four of the boys started for the house with a heavy black casket, “It was a bit tricky sneakin’ her into the country but I managed it. Flower here helped,” he smiled down at the little girl, “She’s gonna be staying with me.”

“Well that’s good,” Rogue smiled at the little girl. “I imagine you might be hungry. I happen to know that there’s some really good treats inside. You want one?”

“Yes please,” the little girl took Rogue’s hand and started inside ignoring the strangers completely.

“So who’s this?” Slayer demanded eying the foursome in his yard.

“X-men,” Logan grunted, “Wheels, Storm, and the pains in the asses. Chuck and ‘Ro ain’t too bad.”

Slayer nodded, “Well if they’re here then best find a spot to put ‘em. Daniel could you please make sure they’re comfortable?”

“Sure thing Dad,” the tall, muscular boy nodded, “You want us to put ‘em all in one room?”

“Whatever you think is best,” Slayer replied and nodded quickly as the group was ushered inside. The minute the door was closed he glanced at his own father, “I ache all over Pops, and it ain’t getting any better.”

“Never does,” Logan replied softly staring at the closed house door. “Losing part of your soul is something you can never get back. Come on inside, no sense standing out here like a pair of unwelcome guests. Just remember you ain’t alone, the kids, Marie, and I are with you. We’ll always be there.”

“I know,” Slayer sighed, “That’s why I trust all of ya so much. You’ve never ran from a fight in your lives, you won’t stop now.”

“We’ll talk later about who did this,” Logan ground out softly, “Then you and I will deal with them.”

“What about the kids? Marie?”

“Lets make sure they stay safe – the only way to do that is to make sure that those fuckers die and soon.”

Slayer gave a nod of understanding and followed his father into the house. There would be time for that later, for now he had a wife to bury and a family to heal.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1126