Back in Love by Monday by Shadowlady
Summary: Response to the songfic challenge on the board.
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 861 Read: 1423 Published: 03/03/2007 Updated: 03/03/2007

1. Chapter 1 by Shadowlady

Chapter 1 by Shadowlady
I watch her move around in our suite with the precision of a drill instructor. One hand holds her glasses, the other a file folder with test results she’s been going over all morning. We’ve been together for years, for as long as I’ve ever thought it possible. I can still remember the day we met, remember the shy smiles, the sideways looks.

Now I wonder if we’re really an ‘us’ or if we’re two shadows that are passing next to each other. Are we really still in love? Are we merely pretending because that’s what everyone expects?

“Honey.” I break the silence. I can’t stand this any longer, I need to know. I need to understand what’s happening in my life. “Lets go away fro the weekend. Leave everything behind us and just have a couple’s weekend.”

“I can’t just drop everything. I’ve got more work right now than three people.”

I sigh at the familiar burn of anger and embarrassment in my chest. “We don’t have a lot of time left honey. Come on the rest of the team can pick up the slack for two days.”

“It’s not that simple.”

Slamming my hand on the desk she’s taken a seat at I glare at her. “We need to do this. We can’t keep going on like this. When was the last time you actually saw me? Please, let’s take this weekend and decided where we’re going from here!”

“What do you mean?”

Ahh to have that illusion so firmly in place that acceptance is easy. “Are we over? Is the love we had dead or can we breathe some life back into this relationship? I need to know; I deserve to know that much after all this time.”

I can see the shock and the pain her eyes. This has nothing to do with anyone but us and I think she can see that, can understand that. This is something that’s been a long time coming and we can’t put it off any longer.

“What’s this weekend going to prove?”

“We’ll do the things we used to do. You know take a walk by the beach, eat at that lovely little café we were at the last time we went to Franklin City. We can spend hours making love. If we get home on Monday and nothing’s different then we can go our separate ways. No harm no foul but at least we’ll know.” I trace her face with a hand. “No more wasted time.”

She nods in acceptance and smiles at me. “After last class.”

I squeeze her shoulder and leave our rooms. Walking down the hall I pause in front of a door. I know that this may just be the end but I can’t blame anyone. How will the others react? How will he react? He’s never really given up his desire to claim what has been mine, perhaps now he’ll get the chance.

Raising a hand I knock and wait impatiently. It doesn’t seem like much to me. Forty-eight hours to rebuild fourteen years worth of living together…it’s all I’ve got.

“Hi.” The soft, sultry accent draws me from my musing and I frown slightly.

“Uh hi Rogue. I was looking for Logan, must have gotten turned around somewhere. Sorry to have bothered you.”

“Whatcha need Summers?” Logan growls at me as I try to hide my shock. What is Rogue doing in Logan’s room at this time of the day…or at all?

“Jean and I are going away for the weekend wanted to know if you’d mind watching over the mansion while I’m gone.”

“Why?” Logan stares at me hard and I sigh in defeat.

“Just want to see if we’re still in love by Monday.” I offer as an explanation and stare at him.

The shock intensifies as he merely shrugs before wrapping an arm around Rogue. “You mind holding off on going to the game until next weekend?”

Rogue looks at him with utter adoration and I’m nauseous. “We can have our own movie night here, or watch the game on the tube. As long as we’re together it doesn’t matter to me.”

Logan nods and looks at me. “See ya on Monday then.”

“Uh don’t you want to know when we’re leaving?”

Logan shakes his head as Rogue slips out of his room and heads for the stairs. “Nope. Have fun, good luck and we’ll see you Monday.”


Standing there in the hallway I stare after the one person I was sure would be jumping for joy at the news that Jean and I are probably over. There’s no gloating, no sly smirk, no nasty little barbs at me…it’s almost like he doesn’t give a shit.

Nothing is going like I thought it would and I’m left alone, confused, and uncertain. Maybe by Monday things will look better…but I doubt it.

The end.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1114