Promises by Em
Summary: Rogue has someone else's flashbacks.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1624 Read: 1445 Published: 01/20/2001 Updated: 01/20/2001

1. Promises by Em

Promises by Em
Author's Notes:
Hey everyone! I'm new to the list, I LOVE X-men and the L/R pairing! See you all on the list!
Rogue limped down the halls of the school for gifted youngsters, dragging herself to the bathroom, making sure no one was there, she sat down on a stall with a tortured sigh. Holding her head in her hands. She began to cry, an onslaught of tears burning down her cheeks.

She promised herself she wouldn't cry. But she also promised herself she wouldn't fall in love with Logan. Two empty promises.

It had been two months since he had left. Leaving the dog tags as his promise. Rogue understood, and she was doing fine, until two days ago, when she felt it.



Two days ago

"Now Rogue, care to refresh our memories of the date when the Declaration of Independence was signed?" Storm asked, quirking an eyebrow at the near-sleep teenager at the back of classroom.

Bobby reached over and whispered into her ear. "Rogue.. wake up."

Rogue opened her eyes. "Hmmm?" She asked, but then saw Storm's look. "Ah'm sorry, what was the question?" Rogue asked, a slight blush on her features.

"The declaration of Independence, what year was it signed?" Storm asked again, a small smile on her face.

"Oh, It was signed in-" Rogue was cut off by a burning feeling going through her body, she fell to the ground and whimpered in pain.

Rogue could see images, flashing through her mind. Of Logan, he was hurt, and he was losing.

"Logan!!" Rogue yelled, as the classmates crowded around her. Storm picked up a phone.

"Scott, come here immediately, we have a problem." Storm said into the receiver, then rushing over to Rogue, a worried expression on her face as she carefully checked her vitals.



Later that day, in the lower level.

Rogue was hooked up to many machines, all measuring her heart rate, and other things. She opened up her eyes groggily to see Jean, Scott, Storm and Xavier standing around her.

"Welcome back." The Professor said warmly from his wheelchair. Scott and Jean smiled, as did Storm.

"How are you feeling?" Jean asked in a quiet voice.

"Logan. Where is he? Ah need to know if he's okay.." Rogue exclaimed, sitting up, removing all the things attached to her.

Jean pushed her gently back down, using her ability instead of her hands.

"Logan is fine, as far as we know. Why?" Scott asked, crossing his arms.

"Ah saw him, he's hurt. He needs me, Ah have to go!" Rogue cried, getting up, this time not being stopped by Jean.

Xavier and Jean exchanged worried looks, and thoughts.

Rogue looked to the professor. "Read mah mind, you'll see, and then you'll know." Rogue said in a calmer voice. The Professor closed his eyes, and after a few moments he knew, and a frown settled over his features.

They must have a telepathic link professor, that's the only explanation of the visions. Jean thought, sending it to the professor.

It was to be expected, don't worry, we'll find him. The professor thought back, receiving a small smile from Jean.

"Storm, Scott, take the X-jet to this address, if you find him, bring him back immediately." Professor ordered, handing Scott a piece of paper.

"Let me go too, Ah have to, he saved mah life, twice, and Ah need to return the favor." Rogue asked hopefully to the professor, her eyes pleading with his.

"I'm sorry Rogue, but you're not ready for a mission like this." The Professor said firmly, in a tone that she knew she couldn't overthrow.

"And we need you here, what if he comes back?" Storm offered, knowing it was un-likely.

Rogue nodded sadly, and stormed out of the room.



Present

Jean walked into the bathroom, hearing her cries all the way from her room, granted it was only down the hall, but they still reached her.

"Rogue? Are you in there?" Jean asked softly, opening the door to the stall to see Rogue sitting there, her head in her hands.

Rogue lifted her head, a tormented expression on her face. "Ah know somethin's wrong, Ah can feel it, right here." Rogue cried softly, pointing to her heart.

Jean frowned sadly. "If it's any consolation, I think he'll be okay." Jean offered. "He's the Wolverine, he's a stubborn man, he'll brave through." Jean added with a small smile. Rogue also smiled.

"At least your right about one thing." Rogue murmured, getting lost in memories. Jean offered her hand, and Rogue took it, lifting herself up, she walked out of the stall. "Thanks." Rogue said warmly, walking out the bathroom.

"Your welcome." Jean answered with a guilty sigh as Rogue left. Jean could see how much Rogue cared for Logan, and if something wrong really did happen, it would hit Rogue hard. Not to mention herself, another reason she felt guilty.



Rogue walked outside, and sat down on the front steps, taking some time to think about how she felt. She sat there thinking until sunset, resting against the post, Rogue began to fall asleep....



The X-jet doors opened, on a stretcher, Storm and Scott pulled Logan's body out into the medical sector, calling Jean down to the lower levels.

"What happened." Jean asked, as she rushed into the room, peering at Logan she shuddered, it didn't look good.

"Sabretooth. Out for revenge, almost killed him, thank god we were there in time." Scott exclaimed, standing back and letting Jean take over.

"He was unconscious when we arrived, what happened before, we do not know." Storm added with a frown.

Jean checked over the wounds calmly, ripping away cloth when she needed to. "All the wounds seem superficial, but that could just be his healing ability, either way, things look good." Jean said with a smile.

"By the time he wakes up, everything should be clear." Jean added, letting Scott pull her in close.

"Good work." Scott said, kissing her lightly. Jean smiled as she pulled away. "I didn't do anything." Jean replied with a chuckle. Scott replied by kissing her again.

Storm cleared her throat, they both pulled away. "I am going to go tell the Professor." Storm said with a small smile as she left.


Rogue woke up to someone calling her name. "Marie?" An all too-familiar voice asked. "Hey, kid." Logan called again, this time taking her gloved hand and squeezing it.

Rogue opened her eyes widely and wrapped her arms around him, holding him tight. "Logan!! You're okay!" Rogue exclaimed.

"I said I'd be back." Logan answered with a smile. Rogue held on tighter. "I need to breathe, kid." Logan said as she lessened her grip and pulled away.

"Sorry, Ah was so worried, what happened?" Rogue asked, calming herself down, and blushing slightly.

Logan smiled, but it turned to a frown. "Met an old friend. But don't worry about it, it's over with." Logan answered, his brows furrowing. Not for long.. Logan thought.

"You stayin'?" Rogue asked hopefully, looking into his eyes. Logan gave her a sad smile.

"Not for a while." Logan answered truthfully, he needed to think about things for a little while, the threat of Sabretooth could come up again.

As soon as the thought passed through his mind, his senses roared. Logan sniffed the air, his claws ripped out, gleaming in the moonlight..

"What is it?" Rogue asked, her alarm showing. Logan stood up, and looked around, his eyebrows quirking..

It all happened so fast, Sabretooth emerging, landing on Rogue, gashing her. Sabertooth jumped on Logan, they both went flying and hit the wall of the school.

Logan growled, a cry so terrible and full of pain, Sabretooth was stunned enough to let Logan go in for the kill.

Metal met flesh, and Sabretooth was lifeless.

The claws went back into their places, and a stunned Logan ran to Rogue's bloody side. She was unconscious. Knowing no medical help would work, Logan cradled her in his arms.

"Wake up kid!!" Logan exclaimed, looking into her peaceful face, shaking her. "Marie." Logan whispered sadly.

Logan brought his lips down to hers, kissing her gently, nothing happened, and a single tear burned down his face, and onto hers.

Their lips still touching, it happened. His veins and hers popped out. Rogue's eyes ripped open, air went through her lungs and she was alive, again.

"Not again." Rogue whispered as she pushed Logan away, so he could live. Rogue reached down and traced a path down his face with her gloved finger.

Not leaving his side, she called for help. The others rushed out.



Logan woke up in his bed, his eyes opening the first thing he saw was Rogue, and his hand was in hers, a hopeful expression on her face.

"Hey you, feelin' better? Didn't kill ya did I?" Rogue asked with a bright smile.

"Obviously not." Logan answered, a weak smile he gave in return. "You okay?" Logan asked. Rogue nodded.

"Can ah ask you a question?" Rogue asked, biting her lip. Logan nodded.

"Even though I was out of it at the moment, was it a dream, or did you kiss me?" Rogue asked nervously, in anticipation. Logan ran his hand through her hair gently, and looked into her eyes.

"I guess I did." Logan answered with a small smile. Rogue touched her lips.

"And of course Ah wasn't awake for it. Ah just can't win, can I?" Rogue murmured with a sigh. Logan grabbed her hand and squeezed it.

"Don't worry, there'll be a second time." Logan said seriously, forcing her to look at him. Rogue frowned.

"But my skin-" Rogue started, but was hushed by his look.

"I'll find a way." Logan said softly, kissing her gloved hand.

"Promise?" Rogue asked hopefully.

"Yeah, I promise." Logan said, for the second time, pulling her in close, they hugged.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1095