Torn by skybluerae, Laenwyn
Summary: Co-Authored with Laenwyn.
“The spark that jumped and sizzled whenever he touched her was not in her imagination...and Logan had to feel it too. Those boundaries were going move alright, Rogue thought with a smile.”

Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Angst, UST
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 60272 Read: 140780 Published: 02/20/2007 Updated: 05/24/2007

1. Chapter 1 by skybluerae

2. Chapter 2 by skybluerae

3. Chapter 3 by skybluerae

4. Chapter 4 by skybluerae

5. Chapter 5 by skybluerae

6. Chapter 6 by skybluerae

7. Chapter 7 by skybluerae

8. Chapter 8 by skybluerae

9. Chapter 9 by skybluerae

10. Chapter 10 by skybluerae

11. Chapter 11 by skybluerae

12. Chapter 12 by skybluerae

13. Chapter 13 by skybluerae

14. Chapter 14 by skybluerae

15. Chapter 15 by skybluerae

16. Chapter 16 by skybluerae

17. Chapter 17 by skybluerae

18. Chapter 18 by skybluerae

19. Chapter 19 by skybluerae

20. Chapter 20 by skybluerae

21. Chapter 21 by skybluerae

Chapter 1 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
Authors’ Notes #1: This story takes place in the special universe that lies between Movieverse and Comicverse. It resulted from a discussion about the current story line in the X-Men comics where Rogue is the squad leader (and the character tension resulting from Victor Creed joining the X-Men) and the movie’s Logan & Rogue and their sexual tension. It is also an after effect of the last L/R/V combination and what would happen under completely different circumstances.

Authors’ Notes #2: We would like to dedicate this story to wolveriness06 / iconlove90 for her beta duties, as well as all the awesome icons that she created for us!

Heavy fire and lasers rained down. The Blackbird. Must make it to the Blackbird. Where in the hell was the rest of her squad? Already on board. They made it, now they could get the hell out of there. Black, soulless eyes burned into the back of her head. She didn't have to turn around to know he was staring her down, but why? He was always staring lately. What the hell was it this time? She turned and glared back at him. "Forgetting something, sweetheart?" Huh? Wait! Oh, God! Where's Logan? Shit! Holy shit! Shrapnel and debris stung through the leather uniform as she left the safety of the jet. Logan was not getting left behind.

*****

Rogue squeezed her eyes shut as the hot water, just a degree from scalding, pounded down on her skull and beat against her body. It was leaving her sensitive, pale skin tender and raw, and a frightening shade of red. The showers in the team locker room weren't for relaxing and unwinding with scented scrubs and gels. They were harsh, industrial strength, for cleaning off God-knows-what from God-knows-where. The powerful stream actually hurt a little and it was exactly what she needed.

Rogue needed something to get the image from her mind, drive that voice out of her head. His damn voice. She'd been doing her job! She was the squad leader; she was supposed to be in charge. If there was a decision to make, it was her responsibility to make it, and that's just what she'd done. The rest of the squad had made their way to the jet. Logan was no where to be seen. No squad member of hers was going to get left behind, least of all him.

Logan didn't seem to appreciate her loyalty today. Maybe it was only a Danger Room simulation, but in a real battle she’d do exactly the same thing. A Sentinel had him cornered, besting him in any escape plan, and he'd needed help. He would never ask for it, and she'd heard a few of the others mumble that they should just wait it out, but she wasn't waiting around to see what that machine, real or not, would do to her best friend. She'd left the Blackbird, gone back in alone, and saved his ass. The thanks she got? A holographic flesh wound and an irate Wolverine giving her the verbal lashing of her life in front of every other single fucking member of her squad ... and she'd said absolutely nothing.

Rogue let out a haughty sigh and grabbed the soap and washcloth. Oh she could think of plenty of things to say now.

"You don't *ever* risk your life by coming out to save me! I'll heal; you're no good to me dead!"

Yeah well *he* wasn't immortal and she'd be damned if she'd ever sit by and do nothing while watching him die!

"I could wring your fucking neck for a stunt like that! What the hell were you thinking?"

Now she was thinking of wringing *his* fucking neck!

"You're supposed to be the squad’s leader, Rogue. Use your fucking head and think about what the team needs. I'll take care of myself."

That's right - *she* was the squad leader of their little band of misfits! She was supposed to give the orders, and he was supposed to follow them. A sudden urge to kick something washed over her, but instead she slapped the cold tile with both hands, the sting a welcomed pain. Sometimes that man had a way of making her feel like an unschooled seventeen year old girl again, and sometimes she hated him for it.

Turning the water back down to a bearable temperature, she rinsed off and tried to let the Danger Room debacle go. Her squad would not see her decision as weakness, they'd only see Logan's reaction as the usual gruff demeanor and explosive temper expected of Wolverine. The only lasting negative impact of the entire event was her wounded pride. Still, he could not speak to her that way in front of the rest of her squad. Logan absolutely could not undermine her authority, especially not in front of the latest addition to the X-men.

Good God, why had Scott chosen to add that ticking time bomb to her already rag tag group? On the best of days, Victor Creed was an unpredictable, psychotic menace to society. Never mind that he was once a sworn enemy! Did Xavier insist on accepting every stray that wound up on the doorstep? Apparently so, especially if they thought that stray was under control. Well she had news for the philanthropic Professor; the likes of Victor Creed were never under control.

Rogue wrung the warm water through her hair, reached for the shampoo, and scrubbed her scalp roughly. Life was just swell, she thought bitterly. She had two unpredictable and authority thumbing men on her squad, both out numbering her in years of age and experience, yet she was supposed to 'lead' them. Lead them to do what exactly? The thought made her want to cackle. Neither man would even remotely pass for a 'follower'! Logan only insisted on being on the squad so he could keep an eye on Creed! And it was *so* like him to think she was incapable of taking care of things herself.

The water ran through her hair as Rogue tilted her neck back. When would he ever see her as capable, as an adult, as anything more than his responsibility? The answer came back a resounding 'Never'.

Usually, their odd friendship worked out okay for them. It felt a bit forced and awkward at times, but most days it functioned well. But there were days it didn't work right at all. Days like today. Days she wished something disturbing and radical would happen, something to change their roles, force their boundary lines. Days when she wished there would either be complete animosity between them ... or the exact opposite. Rogue wasn't sure which one she wanted after the Danger Room fiasco, but it felt like that line needed to be anywhere other than where it lay.

If Logan could only see her now, he'd have to face up to who she was, what she'd become; not scared little girl Rogue that needs rescuing, not just squad leader Rogue that could kick ass. Maybe he'd finally see her as mature, responsible, capable ... sexy ... desirable ... and completely naked at the moment, Rogue thought - undeniably female … "and obviously in denial and wasting away in a shower, talking to herself."

For years she and Logan had shared this platonic … relationship and she was beginning to realize that it would never change on its own. They’d just keep on this path forever unless she did something about it; today just reiterated that it needed changing. It wasn’t normal. Kurt was Logan’s buddy, but he never got yelled at if he made one false move on the battle field. Logan and Storm got along okay too, but he would never, ever threaten to wring her neck; nor did he ever go to the other end of the spectrum and bring her back gifts from his solo missions.

Their ‘friendship’ had always been different, but as time flew by it was growing more and more … unsatisfying. Something had to give.

She’d done enough over thinking on their relationship. Shaking her head, she tried to focus on the task at hand, but suddenly, something felt ... off.

Despite the warm water still streaming down her back, Rogue felt the tiny hairs on her arms stand on end. She looked around quickly, but saw nothing. Rinsing conditioner from her hair, she shrugged it off, but then it was back again. Turning off the water, she felt it, the unmistakable feeling of being watched, studied. The shower room was eerily quiet except for the dripping of her shower head. An instinctive reaction to possible danger, she went quiet and completely still, searching only with her eyes.

Nothing was there. Nothing at all. The stress of the day must be getting to her; the thoughts of Logan seeing her like this were playing tricks on her mind.

"Get a’ hold of yourself girl," she reprimanded her over active imagination.

"Need my help with that?" a deep, resonating voice reached her ears before the sight met her eyes.

Holding her towel and blocking her path, stood Victor Creed, getting an eyeful from the top of her wet head to the tips of her pink-painted toe nails. Rogue flinched, blinking rapidly in shock. Immediately her arms flew up, wrapping protectively around her chest and one leg bent at a shielding angle.

"Creed," she bit off through gritted teeth, "what the hell do you think you’re doing?"

"Being a team player," he replied smugly.

She tried to remain calm, not trusting this latest addition to the household, but certain he wouldn't try anything right under Charles Xavier's roof.

"You can take your leers somewhere else you pervert! Get. Out. Of. Here."

Victor casually leaned one shoulder against the wall. His demeanor indicated that he was in no rush to go anywhere as the towel swung loosely from his fingers.

"Do you think he even has a clue how you feel about him?" he asked, appearing nonchalant, but garnering Rogue’s attention away from her nakedness.

"What are you talking about?" she tried to sound uninterested.

"You know exactly what," he gave her a smirk. "Wolverine. How you feel about him. You think he knows?"

Wet strands of hair rolled over her shoulders as she shook her head in denial. "I don't know what you're rambling about Creed, but if you're tryin' to buy time just to watch me squirm - it won't work. Now get out or I start screaming."

Victor actually looked amused. "Nice try, little squad leader," he pushed himself off the wall. "But I see what you try to hide, I smell the lies. You ran off after him today like he was your damn life line and I'm here to tell you - he ain't worth it. He won't ever be worth it. He doesn't notice you. He don't see you like I see you."

He took another long, devouring look. "Has he ever even seen this much of you?" he purred. Slowly, he was moving closer, gliding in a cat-like motion, but Rogue refused to back down, budge an inch, or show fear in any way.

"Don't tell me I get to admire all this perfect, bare flesh that he's never even seen before."

Victor's head tilted back in a low, guttural laugh.

"Go to hell!" she growled at him.

"No thanks angel, been there ... the view is much better here."

Extending his arm, he let the towel dangle in his grasp. Rogue snatched it from his hands and wrapped it around her body quickly. Before she could make any other movement, a vice grip closed around her waist as she was lifted a foot up off the floor. Her arms reflexively locked onto Victor's forearms for support. She knew she could drain him if it came to that, but she was really hoping it didn't.

He brought her up to his eye level so she could peer right into their black depths.

"I know you wanna drop me, Rogue. I can see that hostility just boiling up inside you. But if there's anything you want less than my hands on you, it's me in your head. Isn't that right ... angel?" he murmured pressing Rogue against his body to let her know he was more than satisfied about finally making her squirm.

Rogue let out a quiet grunt, trying to pull loose. She silently cursed her flaming cheeks, but trying to ignore Victor's bodily reaction to seeing her naked wasn't easy. He had her trapped and even worse, he was enjoying himself.

"Put. Me. Down."

He gave her a smile wide enough to flash those fangs he was so damn proud of. "Digging your nails into my arms won't help," he said amusedly and leaned into her, "if you think pain is the way to get rid of me."

Rogue made an exasperated sound in her throat. She was pretty familiar with Victor's motus operandi as of late, at least when it came to his life at the mansion; loads of snarling and intimidation but no real bite ... yet. "Put me down dammit or I'll ..."

"You'll do what? You gonna scream? You already used that threat. That runt sure as hell ain't gonna make you scream anytime soon, but I will. You know I can. All you have to do is ask and I'll be buried between those thighs of y-"

She slapped Victor across the cheek as hard as she could, instantly regretting it after what he'd just said about physical pain. Damn him - like she needed this shit right now. The right thing to do would be to bring this up to Scott and let him handle it, but she'd be damned if Victor Creed was going to make her look like she couldn't take care of things on her own.

Of course he hadn't taken offense at her slap; instead he served up an evil grin and inhaled sharply through his nose.

"Mmm ... try again little leader. You don't fool me," he said and shifted his hands to grab her thighs just below her ass.

"One last time Creed; put me down. Now. Or my knee makes an impact." She tried to go for stern but it felt like she failed miserably. She would knee him in the groin, but he'd probably enjoy it. Damn Victor, his pent up aggression, *and* his bad manners. He really needed to be taught a lesson, and as squad leader that probably was her duty. Fuck.

"Since you put it that way ..." He didn't release her immediately but let her slide down his body until her bare feet touched the ground.

Rogue suppressed the urge to slap him again; instead she scowled at him and took a couple of steps backwards to get some safe distance between the two of them. Victor was way too pleased with himself for her not to scowl even harder, to which he simply shrugged, then turned his back on her and left, leaving her shivering; and not just because of the cold.

She cursed him, herself, Logan, the stupid shower room and the entire mansion as she walked back to her locker.

"I need a drink," she muttered to herself, putting on clean underwear, her softest pair of yoga pants, and a t-shirt. Her black yoga pants were so worn they were more of a darker gray, but they were her favorite, making her feel comfortable and secure. Right now, she needed all the comfort and security she could get. As she grabbed the pile of her dirty clothes, she noticed a piece of apparel was missing. An intimate piece of apparel.

"Son of a - Bitch!" she spat. That letch had nabbed her underwear! Rogue crammed the remaining clothes into her bag while mumbling more curses. Fisting her hands by her sides, she let her muscles bunch and a growly whine sneak out in a small tantrum. She was not going to let that menace think he could intimidate her. She was not going to run to Scott or the Professor. If he thought he could get the best of her with these little games, he was sadly mistaken. Let him keep the damn underwear, she hoped he choked on them. She had plenty and he wouldn't get the satisfaction of her even noticing or mentioning their absence.

With a renewed sense of self-righteous anger and a desperate need for a night cap, Rogue told herself she was wiping her hands of the entire incident.

***********

Rogue palmed the cool glass between her hands. Tiny rivulets of condensation dropped down onto the fine mahogany table and she watched them pool there a second before wiping them away. The Professor would kill her if she ruined his fancy study desk. She wanted to stay on his good side so she could continue to hit his personal stash of fine single malt scotch. At first she hated the stuff, but with a short glass and a lot of ice, it wasn't so bad. More importantly, however, it did the trick. Her face was warming, she was getting just a little bit drowsy and finally, some of her muscles seemed to be unwinding from the stress of the day. The shards of ice tinkled in her glass ... and to be honest, it was probably the most relaxing part.

Her quiet solitude was short lived when she heard the creak of the study door. Immediately her body tensed, anxious that she was going to have yet another run in with Victor Creed.

"You're not hiding from me in here, are ya?" a smooth voice asked.

Logan. Thank God.

She looked back over her shoulder at him. "Nah ... just hidin'. But you can come in."

"Sure you wouldn't rather come slam this big ass door on my finger or something? Might make you feel better," he joked. "I won't argue that I don't deserve it."

Rogue scrunched her brow at him in confusion. Why would she ... oh yeah, the Danger Room. Her encounter with Creed had trumped that ugly display as the most disturbing incident of the day. Still, she needed to hear that Logan regretted what happened. She noticed his apologetic tone and for him, it wasn't always so much what he said as how he said it.

"Yeah, you probably deserve it, but your finger would just heal right back anyway and then you'd give me that smirk and that would piss me off even more and then I'd want to slam the door again ... and we'd be here all night."

Logan closed the door behind him and joined her at the table. "Good point. Why don't we just go with 'I'm sorry about earlier - I acted like a dick but you know my temper' and move on?" He put a hand on her chair, "Because I am sorry - *not* for what I said about you risking your neck for mine – but ... I should’ve brought that up to you - just you, not in front of the whole squad. Won't happen again."

Rogue nodded and took a sip of her drink. Taking her time swallowing, she leaned her head back against the chair. "I'm gonna hold you to that promise, you know?" she finally said.

Logan didn't respond. She rolled her head to see him staring at her with a mysterious look on his face.

"What?" she asked him, suspicious.

He shook his head as if coming out of a daze. "Nothin', nothin' - you look kinda tired. Stressed. You okay?"

She nodded, still resting her head against the chair, unsure now if it was an effect of the scotch or the effect of Logan that was so soothing.

"I'm okay. Long day...just kinda tense, you know?"

"Yeah, I don't always help matters," he said, sounding guilty. "Here - I'll make it up to you," he added and stood up.

Rogue watched him pull a low-backed chair to the center of the study. Evidently, he still thought the blame for all her tension rested strictly on his shoulders. He felt bad for yelling at her in front of everyone and he wanted to make amends. She wasn't going to argue, but how was sitting in a different chair going to pass for an apology?

"C'mere," he said with a touch of impatience. "I don't want to wring your neck anymore if that's what you’re worried about."

Feeling languid and slow, Rogue moved to the chair in front of him. This day was just full of surprises, she thought.

"You alright, kid? You got full reign on that skin of yours?" he asked teasingly.

"Yes, Logan." She said impatiently.

Warm hands closed around the base of her neck and for a moment she wondered if maybe he'd lied about the 'wring your neck' bit, but then those hands started moving. Opening and closing with just the right amount of pressure, his fingers and thumbs kneaded into the bunched muscles of her neck and shoulders. Glorious hands, she thought; absolutely fantastic. Her neck relaxed, letting her head fall forward while his hands worked magic on the knots along her shoulders. Logan had never offered to massage her neck before and now she was a little offended as to why. He was an expert who'd been selfishly hiding his talent. Not to mention - hell it was Logan ... giving her a neck massage!

"Why ... have you never ... offered to do this ... before?" she asked between moments of bliss.

He made a tisking noise with his teeth. "'Cause see ... if word gets out that I can do this kinda stuff, I get lines of people that just gotta have a neck rub. I refuse to be exploited that way," he added with a smirk. Rogue didn't have to see it to know it was there.

"Besides, I ain't doing this for just anybody. McCoy wants his neck rubbed he better hope Storm or somebody will do it, because it won't be me!"

She laughed at the visual, but grew silent when his hands moved to the nape of her neck. Barely brushing into her hair, the pads of his thumbs made little circles over the indention at the base of her skull. Without consulting her, Rogue's brain fired thousands of stimulating nerve impulses through her body. The tips of his fingers worked their way up the back of her scalp, caressing her gently until he ran his fingers through her hair - and she could swear he leaned down to smell her. The tiniest moan formed in her throat, escaping before she could stop it. Quickly, Logan's hands dropped back to her shoulders and rested there.

"Better?" he asked, clearing his throat.

"Yeah," Rogue couldn't help but sigh a little on the word. Still wanting to nudge their boundary, she brushed her cheek against the back of his hand. "Thanks," she murmured.

"No problem," he mumbled before moving away.

"Don't worry Logan; your secret is safe with me."

She meant his secret about being an amateur masseuse, but the odd look on his face made her wonder just what secret he thought she was referring to.

"Well. I gotta go take care of some stuff. Just-um, take it easy on yourself kid. And if the pressure is too much - let Scott know. You don't have to do it all."

Rogue stared at him blankly. He was shifting the mood that quickly from stimulating to counseling. She wasn't stupid and she sure as hell wasn't a naïve child anymore. The spark that jumped and sizzled whenever he touched her was not in her imagination ... and Logan had to feel it too. This moment wasn't one that led itself to chatting about teams and responsibilities – he was dodging.

"Sure Logan, I'll take it easy," she said, but didn't feel the least bit at ease. There was an edge to the air and it kept her heart beating faster. He left without saying another word, but she didn't need words right now anyway. Those boundaries were going move alright, Rogue thought with a smile.
Chapter 2 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
“It all made for a pretty relaxing start to the day, getting Rogue's mind off the events of the previous evening. Too bad it wouldn’t last.”
The next day started with plenty of promise, Rogue thought. She rose just after the sun and set about cleaning her room, which desperately needed it. Straightening out her clothes and junk somehow managed to help her straighten out the muddled thoughts in her mind. After her cleaning extravaganza, Rogue treated herself to a late breakfast with her best friend. The great thing about Jubliation Lee was that she could basically carry on an entire conversation by herself. All one had to do was nod and toss in the occasional "I know!"

It all made for a pretty relaxing start to the day, getting Rogue's mind off the events of the previous evening. Too bad it wouldn’t last.

The two girls decided to add a workout to their agenda, remembering that early weekdays were usually a less crowded time to hit the training room. Though both women were vital team members, and Rogue had even been given a shot at running a squad, they both preferred to do their training when the place wasn't crawling with the “big guys” or the more tenured members of the team.

"I mean, I don't mind my share of lookin'," Jubes said, popping her gum and increasing her pace on the treadmill. "I just always feel like a pip-squeak, pushing around my dinky 20 pounds while Pete's benching 250 plus! Plus...I always feel like he stares at me when I'm in here and I don't want looking at me while I'm all sweaty and grunting."

Rogue almost fell off her treadmill with laughter. "You sure about that, Jubes? I bet he'd luuuuv to see you sweaty and gruntin'!"

Both of them laughed loudly until their privacy was interrupted by Ororo Munroe.

"Hello ladies," the weather witch smiled politely.

"Hello," they said in unison, trying to be on their best behavior. Some habits died hard.

Over the next half hour, their gym sanctuary was invaded by a stream of other residents, including Warren, Bobby, Kitty, and Peter - followed not too long after by Victor Creed.

"What is up with the rush hour traffic 'round here?" Jubes huffed in protest. "Don't they know this is *our* sweatin' time?"

"Guess not," Rogue mumbled, trying hard not to notice the feral gaze that was tracking her.

Jubilee sighed dramatically. "Although...the view ain't so bad," she added quietly, waggling her eyebrows in the direction of the free weights, where both Peter and Victor now stood.

"I mean, I know the guy's a creep...but if you forget all that, you know, maybe put duct tape on his mouth and tie his hands behind his back - he's not so bad on the eyes,” she continued. “Scruffy and hairy, but so is Logan...it's manly in a scary bad guy kinda way," she said with a mock growl thrown in at the end.

Rogue glanced in their direction but didn't want to sound too interested. "Who you talkin' about Jubes, Colossus or Sabretooth?"

Jubilee managed not to laugh. "Girl! Seriously. I don't think Colossus qualifies as scruffy...or hairy." After a long pause and a hard stare in his direction she added, "You know...I bet he shaves...everywhere!"

Unable to hold it in, both girls erupted into laughter. Rogue's chuckle died quickly when Victor blatantly eyed her from across the gym.

"I'm uh...I'm gonna go move some heavy stuff around," she said quickly to her partner in crime as she left for the far side of the room where the weight machines stood.

"M'kay, Rogue-y. Happy sweatin'!" Jubes called after her.

Rogue concentrated on a rowing machine, her back to the rest of the room, until her space was encroached upon by Victor. He took a seat on the machine next to her, inhaling deeply and cocking his head in her direction.

"So..'Rogue-y'. You plan on hittin' the showers after this?"

Rogue ignored him, thinking maybe if she didn’t react, he’d get bored and go away.

"'Cause... you know, if you need a hand, I'm here for you. Not like I haven't seen all you've got before."

She let the weights drop with a loud clink, drawing a few stares.

"You come near me again, Creed, and I won't hesitate to drain you this time. Just enough so I can kick you while you're down!" she hissed, quietly.

Victor's eyes flashed at her threat. "Oh I wish you would, angel. Why wait? Do it now - see what's *really* on my mind."

A hand shot out to grab her elbow as she got up to get away from him. Rogue's hand wrapped around his wrist to pull it free and an open challenge danced in his eyes. He didn’t believe she had the nerve.

Taking a glimpse around to see that no one paid them any attention, she let her mutation open up.

She tried to only brush him - just enough to weaken his hold, but a surge of energy shot through her and made him falter, shaking his head, pain written on his face. The touch was lightening fast, but it was enough to get the brunt of his main thoughts...and they were all about her. Rogue in the shower feeling helpless in front of him; Rogue fighting in the Danger Room, barking orders at him, being in control; Rogue in his hands, loosing all that control and loving every minute of it.

The images made her stare back at him in silence. Shock wasn't the right word, because she could have guessed someone like him would have lewd thoughts. It was the intensity of the images and feelings, like a bolt of lightening, that surprised her.

Logan picked that moment to enter the gym, but didn't notice the two of them at first. Her gaze swept from Victor to Logan and back again.

"Told you. He's never gonna see you like I do," Victor said plainly, rising to his full height and towering over her.

She looked back to Logan who was now staring right at them. His eyebrow arched at the sight in front of him. Her eyes pleaded with him to come to her aid; in two blinks, he was right beside her, staring down his nemesis.

"You protecting your little girl, Logan?" Victor snarled in disdain.

"Not my little girl, Creed - but she doesn't look like she wants you anywhere near her and I'll take any excuse to kick your ass again."

His laugh was low and mocking. "Dream on, runt! I'll leave her alone for now, but only because we're done talking. Isn't that right, sweetheart?"

Rogue scowled while watching him smile slyly at them both before leaving the room.

"You okay, kid?" Logan asked with one hand on her shoulder.

Turning to face him, she saw his concern and nodded. Kid. That was her alright. She was the little girl. Child and Protector - and she played right into that part of him. Damn it! Forget any sparking moments in the study, forget how he could and had touched her, forget that she was his squad leader and a full grown woman to boot; she was just a kid and Logan had rescued her - again.

"I'm fine Logan," she muttered before walking away. It would not happen anymore. She could take care of herself. From now on, she'd just have to handle Victor Creed by her own terms...with no rescuing from anyone.

*******

Logan was still keyed up and looking for an excuse to vent some pent up aggression when he sought solitude on the mansion's back veranda. He’d had worse run-ins with people like Creed before - but something about the man just set his blood to boil.

First off, he wasn't wild about how the bastard had stood way too close to Rogue, intimidation through invading her personal space. Second, he didn't like the look in the man's eyes. Even if he was always up to no good, he'd looked particularly up to no good in the training room. Third, he didn't like the comment about them talking, even less the added 'sweetheart' thrown in at the end.

A quick flame lit the end of his cigar before he leaned back in one of the chairs, stretching his long, jean clad legs and taking a deep breath. The urge to pick a fight with Creed right there in the gym was strong, but it had to take a back seat to what was 'best for the team'. It was such bullshit sometimes, but the last thing anyone needed was two team members pummeling each other, getting blood all over the weight machines and those fancy elliptical things that everyone thought were so great. Still, the need to do some kind of physical damage to the blonde behemoth was making Logan's knuckles itch. If he was thinking of messing with Rogue - giving her some kind of trouble, he thought, that jack ass better think again.

Just then, the focus of all his animosity came into view. Victor Creed sauntered towards him, leaned his heavy mass against the thick concrete rail, and eyed him conspicuously. Logan blew out a huge puff of smoke in his direction and smiled to see Victor squint through it.

"You need somethin' Creed?" he asked, clenching the cigar between his teeth. God it was gonna feel good to irritate that bastard. Messing with Scott had lost some of its shine and Sabretooth made for a despicable adversary. If Logan couldn't beat the ever-loving shit out of him, then he'd have to settle for being a royal pain in the ass.

"Yeah, actually I was lookin' for something," Victor smiled and Logan wanted to knock the smug expression right off his face. "I figured you were the man to come to for the information I needed, so here I am."

Logan laughed then, his head tossed back arrogantly. "Oh you want something from me? That's rich. Not likely to happen, but let's hear it."

The expression on Victor's face didn't falter. "Don't think this information will be any real stretch for you - I wanna know where the hell a man goes around here for some action."

An arched eyebrow was Logan's response.

"The action," Victor repeated. "Don't play dumb with me Wolverine. I know that if anyone knows where the dive bars, the cheap booze, and the loose women are around here...it's you. I'm lookin' for all three...but the third is a requirement," he added with a sly grin.

Repressing a surprising urge to roll his eyes, Logan locked his fingers behind his head and leaned his chair back.

"Awhh...is Sabretooth gettin' lonely?" he taunted. "Needin' a quick drink and an easy fuck?"

"Well it's either that," Victor said and crossed his massive arms over his chest, "or work my way through the women here. Which would you prefer?"

The feet of Logan's chair hit the floor with a thud as he jumped up to stand toe to toe with the man. "You keep your fuckin' dick in your pants around here, asshole," he bit off, standing with his finger in Victor's face. "I'm only barely tolerating you because it's what the Professor wants. You so much as think about crossing that line and I'll make sure you got no fuckin' dick to worry about, you got it?!"

"Relax," Victor forced a chuckle but the flash of a challenge crossed his eyes. "All I wanna know is where you go for your tramps. I'm just tryin' to be one of the good guys now. It’s not my fault one of these little tarts has got me so worked up I gotta come to you to find out where to get my rocks off. Maybe if she'd quit being such a damn cock tease I wouldn't have a problem, but she keeps flauntin' that sweet piece of southern ass in front of me and won't do shit for follow up."

Logan had heard enough, yet part of him wanted to laugh at the sheer ridiculousness of his claims. He wasn’t going to give this asshole the satisfaction of even letting on that he knew exactly which ass he was referring to.

"Creed," he warned, "you're so fuckin' full of it! No one here is flaunting jack shit for you. No one is teasing a goddamn thing for you, so drop it now or you and I are gonna have a big problem."

"If I'm so delusional, runt - if that minx ain't playing the tease for me, then why the hell does she keep seeking me out? Giving me the eye and wantin’ to talk to me? Tell me why she's sneakin' around, leaving her things in my locker."

Distrust, suspicion, and anger had Logan's hands drawn into tight fists ready to strike out.

Suddenly, Victor flung something towards him, making Logan reach up to catch it against his chest. It was a small piece of pink lace, a tiny thong with a little dark pink bow in the front.

"Smell familiar?" Victor's voice rumbled.

Logan's hand clenched around the scrap of lace just before he punched Victor in the face.
Chapter 3 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
"Something I can help you with, sugar?" Rogue asked, cocking an eyebrow up at him. See, he thought. Flirtatious. And you just couldn't do that with the wrong kind of people. She needed to just stick with flirting with him or, worse case scenario, safe boys like Bobby or Peter. Damn it - now he was sounding like Scott. Fucking pansy.
It had taken all the self control Logan had not to beat the man's face into a bloody pulp. He'd gotten in a couple of good licks before he noticed that Victor was doing nothing to defend himself. It didn't matter - still felt good to knock the asshole around, but after a little while he just felt the need to get as far away from Victor Creed as possible.

Pacing the halls, he admitted to himself that his real urge was to find Rogue and ask her how in the hell her panties ended up with Creed. The entire notion that she was leading him on had to be complete bullshit; Goldilocks was always trying to stir up trouble. Still - what if she was, unconsciously, putting out signals that could give people the wrong ideas?

Logan knew he and Rogue were guilty of flirting with each other, but that was different. They'd been best friends for years and he wouldn't take advantage of that. Plus...close friends could play around and know where to draw the line. Creed didn't have any lines. Rogue didn't need to make the mistake of friendly flirtations with the wrong kinds of people. There was also the issue of her so called 'flaunting'. In truth, she never wore stuff that could be considered revealing, but no one would accuse her of being a prude either. Keeping herself covered was a habit; but she also had a habit of tight pants and snug, shoulder baring tops. The kind that might give some letch the wrong idea. Logan knew he had no right and no business telling her how to dress or how to behave...but he did have a responsibility to warn her if someone like Victor Creed thought she wanted his attention.

He finally found her in the library, tucked away in the far corner, quietly looking over the day's paper. Watching her casually sitting there struck the protective streak in him that was a mile wide. The girl was important to him for reasons he never fully explored, but the bottom line was - she had to be careful and steer clear of people like Victor Creed. Logan didn't want to just barge in and immediately go into an inquisition as to how Sabretooth was in possession of her underwear - there *had* to be a reasonable explanation - but he also didn't have the patience or desire to make small talk before getting to the point.

Instead, Logan loomed over the table in front of her and let out a deep breath.

"Something I can help you with, sugar?" Rogue asked, cocking an eyebrow up at him.

See, he thought. Flirtatious. And you just couldn't do that with the wrong kind of people. She needed to just stick with flirting with him or, worse case scenario, safe boys like Bobby or Peter. Damn it - now he was sounding like Scott. Fucking pansy.

"I need to talk to you about something," he answered seriously.

She sat up a little straighter, growing concerned. "Okay. Wanna sit?"

Logan's eyes darted about quickly, making sure they were mostly out of everyone's earshot, and then took the chair closest to her.

"What's up?" she asked, shifting to face him.

After sitting back and seeing her concern, a slightly embarrassed look played across his face.

"It's - it's nothing really. Kind of - now that I'm sitting here..."

Rogue didn't know if she'd ever seen Logan hesitant before, but right now he actually looked a little off balance.

"What?" she insisted anxiously. "What's wrong?"

"No – nothing’s wrong. It's just - it's your life and you can do whatever you want. Hell, I have no right to tell you what to do, but…I know you and Bobby broke up a while ago and, I don't know, maybe you're interested in someone around here..."

Oh God, Rogue thought. Where on earth was this conversation going? Could he already know about her wish to challenge their neat little boundaries?

"...and that's your business. But you need to be more careful with your flirting."

What the hell?

"Huh?"

"Your flirting. I know you're flirtatious by nature - but maybe you need to be a little more discriminate about it...you know, discreet." Logan thought the advice actually sounded pretty helpful.

"Wha...what are you talking about?"

"Look," he continued. "I know you're young and single and probably looking to meet someone - whatever. But you’ve really gotta be careful about what kind of message you put out there. You could attract all the wrong kinds of attention and you don't want the wrong people getting that kind of message." Logan realized he wasn’t wild about the idea of her trying to attract *any* kind of attention.

"Logan," Rogue tried to remain calm, "you sound like Scott. What the hell are you talking about?"

The Scott comment didn't sit well, only irritating him further when a sudden image of Creed, basking in any attentions from Rogue, flashed through his mind.

"I'm talking about flirting Rogue! I'm talking about parading around here in tight...stuff...looking a certain way...and the wrong kinda people getting bad ideas."

"What people?" She could feel the blood rushing up to her face.

"Just people. Guys. Men."

"Gimme an example."

"An example?" he asked.

"Yeah - an example," she answered, growing more agitated.

"Well...Creed for example. You don't want him to think-"

"What did he tell you?" Rogue bit off, incensed now.

Logan's brow creased immediately as he struggled to contain himself.

"What is there to tell?" he managed to ask.

"Nothing!" She already hated where this conversation was headed and now it was getting worse. "But this has obviously got something to do with him. You brought him up."

"No! You wanted an example. I just used him as an example."

"Oh bullshit," she hissed. "What did he say to you?"

Logan studied her for a moment. "Nothing. *I'm* saying you need to be careful if you're gonna be out there on the prowl for someone. You're attracting the wrong kind of attention," he barked gruffly.

Rogue's eyes narrowed to tiny slits, the only warning to her oncoming tirade.

"Attention?!! On the - Oooooo!!! What the hell is the matter with you?!! I am *not* on the prowl!"

"I didn't come here to argue with you or start a fight - I'm trying to look out for you," Logan said, wishing she'd just be reasonable.

"You didn't come here to start fight?! No, apparently you just came here to accuse me of flitting about in tight…whatevers! And apparently I flirt shamelessly with every male in the mansion and somehow invite the advances of every Tom, Dick, and Harry - including Victor Creed!"

"I’m trying to help you out here! Why are you getting so upset? You're my friend, I should be able-"

"Well apparently I'm a teasing trollop now too!” Rogue snapped. “Did you for even *one* second think that maybe I'm just me - just normal ole Rogue - and whatever that is, it's something that Victor - or whoever else - just can't help but drool over?! Huh? Maybe I'm just minding my own business, but it attracts attention anyway! Maybe I don't have to flaunt and flirt around. Maybe they just can't resist me anyway. Is that so hard to believe? Because I am not out there *prowling* for attention, Logan. If I *were* out there trying to be the mansion's biggest cock tease, believe me, you'd know it!"

With that, Rogue snatched up her newspaper and stormed out of the library.

Women, Logan thought to himself with a growl. He was trying to help her out and what does he get for his advice? His head bit off! Regardless of how she viewed things, it was obviously drawing Creed's attention. If he couldn't talk some sense into her, he'd just have to threaten Creed with his life; that monster didn't need to get within 10 feet of her. The desire to beat on the other man some more was making his jaw twitch. He knew having Creed around was going to be nothing but trouble and it had already started. Walking out of the library, Logan crammed his hand in his pockets with a sigh. When his hand brushed soft lace, he guiltily withdrew it like it'd been scalded.

*********

Rogue had been successful at avoiding Logan for several days now. Luckily, she'd also managed to not run into Victor either. One of the few perks in sharing a home with so many other people was the ability to get lost in the crowd. There had been no training sessions or team meetings, so that made the avoiding a lot easier.

Some of her anger at Logan's twisted and chauvinistic comments had subsided, but she still got fired up if she thought about it too much. Perhaps he did just have her best interests at heart, but even if he was trying to look out for her, it wasn't what she wanted. If he was going to get all up in arms about how she dressed and the way she acted, she'd prefer if he did it because he was insanely jealous of anyone looking at her - not from the big brotherly perspective. So, as her temper cooled, her resolve grew. She was not going to change a single thing about her wardrobe or behavior. He thought she asked for attention now? Just wait. She'd have to find something truly unforgettable to wear one night and show him what flaunting really looked like. In fact, now that she felt she could actually be in Logan's presence without wanting to smack him, she might even lay it on a little thicker next time she ran into him, just to needle his nerves.

As fate would have it, she did run into him the next morning while going to grab a cup of coffee. However, as fate would also have it, Victor occupied the kitchen with Logan. Rogue had breezed in easily, ready to give Logan her best flirtatious greeting, when she found the two men scowling at each other as if they had just finished threatening death.

The 'Mornin' sugar' died on her lips as she felt the caged fury radiating off of both men. As quickly as she came into the kitchen, she stopped mid-stride, spun on her heel, and left even quicker. The last thing she wanted right now was to be surrounded by them both. Surely Victor had the good sense to keep his salacious comments to himself now, at least around Logan - but she wasn't ready to test that theory. Not to mention, if Creed *had* said something to Logan to cause the whole flirtation lecture, she was in no mood for any kind of confrontation now. Looked like careful avoidance was on the menu for a few more days.

"Rogue!"

The voice stopped her, begrudgingly, in her tracks. Logan was beside her in a few easy strides. He put his hand familiarly on the small of her back, applying light pressure.

"Let's keep walking," he said as they headed down the hall to who knew where.

"Were you looking for me? Looked like you wanted to say something," he said as he continued to maneuver them down the hall.

Rogue turned her head so she could see his profile and couldn’t help but smile at the way he was touching her. "I wanted to say good morning, but you looked kinda...busy."

"Nah - just having a talk with Creed."

"Mmm-hmm," she replied doubtfully. "Right...Where are we going exactly?"

"Outside - need some fresh air."

Once outside, they continued to make their way across the back lawn and she frowned when he removed his hand.

"Look - I know I came across a little...strong the other day. You know I didn't mean it like that, right?" Logan said, breaking through her little pout.

"Yeah, I know. Sorry if I went a bit psycho on you." Rogue figured the days of cooling off would do them some good, and she was right. They were both too hot headed for their own good, and on more than one occasion it had led to a few days of not speaking. However, if he thought she was going to completely forget about his little comments and not make her own point in return, he was wrong. Looking up, she realized they were headed towards a group of students.

"Class?"

"Yeah, thought I'd coach them outside today since it was nice.”

"Okay," she stopped several yards from the group. "Well-I'll leave you to it then and catch you later."

"So we're cool?" he asked, relieved that she was no longer avoiding him.

"Yeah," she smiled with only slightly hidden mischievousness. "We're cool."

As he turned to head to his group of students, Rogue called back to him.

"Oh and Logan...," she said, leaning slightly forward and squeezing her arms together to display some impressive cleavage, "I'll try to behave myself today." She added a little wiggle at the end for good measure before turning her back and swishing her hips towards the mansion.

Logan was struck temporarily mute, but once he found his voice he called back to her.

"That was nice! Real cute...smart ass."

He may have called her a smart ass, but she hadn't missed the quick surprise and pleasure that crossed his face. Rogue just smiled back at him with a wave.

*********

She felt his eyes on her immediately upon re-entering the mansion. Victor stood at the far end of the hall, legs braced apart and arms crossed. Rogue still had no idea what he'd said to Logan, but she knew he'd said something. Try as she might, she could not forget his absorbed images of her. Looking at him now, they all came back in glaring high definition. He was standing very still, but studying her again and the effect was unnerving. As soon as she sensed him move to come towards her, she bolted to the left, blindly, realizing too late it was a room with one entry and one exit.

"Dammit," she grumbled to herself. What the hell was she doing running from one of her teammates? She wasn't scared of Victor - not literally - so why did she just skitter away like a scared kitten? He did not need to get the impression that she was afraid of him. That was exactly the kind of thing he liked to use against people, plus it simply wasn't true. She turned to face the door and watch him enter, setting her expression to as blank as she could manage.

"You're not running from me, are you?" he said, moving his large frame into the doorway.

"No," she lied. "I thought I'd left something in here."

Victor leaned way too casually against the door for Rogue's comfort. Any time that man acted contented - he was up to something. She turned her back on him swiftly, cursing inwardly at her behavior. He knew she was trying to avoid him, she was as certain of that as she was his intense gaze trailing her while she desperately tried to come up with something. But what? What?

"I can help you look."

Rogue shook her head. "No - I just need to ..."

"Just tell me what you're lookin' for," he said.

"I just remembered it wasn't this room," she said quickly and turned to leave when she bumped into Victor's chest. Dammit, she hadn't heard him move at all.

He grabbed her by the waist like he was trying to steady her, but looked far too smug about it.

"Then what room? The training room maybe?"

"No, and let go."

Victor chuckled. He knew his little squad leader was lying, and doing a piss poor job of it too. She'd been dodging him since he let her touch him, but he wasn't sure if it was because it scared her or because she liked what she saw. Maybe it was a little bit of both. The great thing about it though, was Rogue would never admit to being scared. She'd poke that chin out and grit her teeth just to prove he wasn't rattling her. Right now her back was so ram-rod straight it might snap if she tried to stand any taller. He couldn't resist it and slid one hand down to rest just above the swell of her ass.

Rogue found herself frozen, not wanting to move because of what he might do. She wasn't worried about Victor hurting her, but there were other things to be a lot more concerned about. Like the fact that he was a man who went around nabbing underwear; he was a man with lurid thoughts of her at the forefront of his brain; he was the kind of man who would boldly leer at her in the shower with absolutely no shame. He might not hurt her, but he was far from being trust worthy.

"You're thinking about the shower room - of me watching you naked under that streaming water. Isn't that right?" he purred and made her walk backwards until she stumbled against the work desk by the window.

Rogue glared at him and pressed her lips together intent on not giving into his games again.

"I'm right aren't I? You like the way I look at you Rogue angel, don't you? ... you certainly loved it in shower room ... tell me how that made you feel," he said, his voice getting low and taunting. “Come on angel, you can tell me... confide in Victor and it'll be our little secret ... no one has to know," he murmured and squeezed her hips.

Okay, fine. So he wanted to play dirty. Fine. She could play that game too. Logan had taught her how to bluff with the best of them and her idle threats were getting her nowhere.

"What I feel Victor, is you wanting to do more than just have a polite conversation," she retorted and felt a rush of triumph at his surprised reaction. So he hadn't expected that from her. She knew she was on thin ice; teasing a man like Victor was dangerous, but she couldn't help it.

He pressed his crotch against her, giving her a predatory grin. "And how does that make you feel? Does it make you angry? Upset? Or maybe you just wanna get a taste of what I can give you ..." He leaned into her, sniffed and nuzzled her hair and whispered, " ... your scent certainly tells me you want -"

Okay - this was more than she'd bargained for. Rogue could feel him, hard against her. She felt a twinge of shame, not only because she had that effect on him, but she felt a little pride about it. That couldn’t be healthy. What kind of woman would want that kind of attention?

Shoving out of his grasp, she was slightly short of breath. She was trying to fight her blushing cheeks and erase the feeling of having Victor hard and ready, pressed so close to the most sensitive part of her body. Anyone could've walked in on them.

"Just stop this shit Creed and leave me alone. I mean it," she snapped, feeling her muscles tighten. "I know you said something to Logan the other day and you obviously pissed him off this morning. I don't know what game you *think* you're playing, but back off and stay out of my way!"

Victor threw his head back and laughed; a deep rich sound that told her he was all too pleased with her reaction. It sounded way too manly. Way too confident. Damn him.

"I'm not playing games with you Rogue," he said, suddenly very serious. "I just call 'em as I see 'em, and as I see it - you're beggin' for a little man in your animal. You can't deny that - but you're beggin' in the wrong direction. I'm trying to help you, see? You may act big, bad, and offended with your sharp tongue and huffy glares," he started to prowl towards her, "but your body tells me something all together different. Part of you likes to be chased..."

He was standing over her again, staring down. "Maybe he's too scared to chase you - but I'm not."
Chapter 4 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
“She did kind of look like sin, Rogue thought with a smile. Logan always had her thinking sinful thoughts, even when he was just hanging around, being – Logan. It would be nice to turn the tables once in awhile.”
She didn't want to be chased - not by Victor Creed! Okay, so maybe she did want someone to pursue her, but it was a particular someone...and maybe she did turn on the flirtation from time to time, but it was very carefully directed. She just couldn't bring herself to admit there was a part of her that did desire the basic animal lust, to have all that heated primal energy focused on her. Rogue wanted to be the object of desire - but she wanted to be *Logan's* object of desire.

When her friends had come to her last night, suggesting that they all go out and have a girls’ night only, she'd agreed enthusiastically. It was exactly what she needed. A night away from the household testosterone-fest so she could kick back and have a laugh, maybe even flirt with a harmless human boy at the club. Several of the girls from the team were going, so she'd conspired with Jubilee to find the appropriate outfit. Jubilee may be well known as the mansion's fashionista, but since Rogue was her best friend, she got special attention.

A knock on her door announced Jubes' arrival. She came in totting a pair of killer black boots. "Girlfriend - you gotta wear these too!"

"Don't you think they're a bit...much?" Rogue laughed.

"Much?!" she retorted in feigned offense. "They're kick ass! I wear them, don't I? Daaaaaaamn - you look like sin incarnate chica!"

Rogue looked down at the low slung black pants and her scarlet satin halter. It was a good bit bolder than what she normally wore, but when Jubilee suggested her clothes for the evening, Logan's 'parading around the mansion’ comment had itched inside her ear. Now this...this was parading.

"You think it's sin?"

"Oh please. These boots go perfect with that outfit. Sin sister - SIN! Any guy that sees you is goin' to hell just for looking at you! They’ll be beggin’ for mercy! Now shake a leg, we're leaving at eight."

Jubilee had such a way with words. The girl left with a wave and snap of gum as Rogue picked up the boots. They were definitely 'kick ass' or perhaps ass kickers, depending on one's mood. She slid them on and stood in front of her full length mirror. The deep red of the top matched her lips and it was all set off with her fair skin framed by dark hair and streamers of white. She did kind of look like sin, Rogue thought with a smile. Logan always had her thinking sinful thoughts, even when he was just hanging around, being – Logan. It would be nice to turn the tables once in awhile. Her smile morphed into a smirk when she thought of what she had on underneath her outfit.

Shopping online, she'd treated herself to a pair of outrageously expensive panties. 'Black widow' was the name of the collection, and every single piece was made out of the same sheer black lace complete with red ribbons and bows in various places. She blushed just thinking about them. Underwear like that had never graced her body. Nothing more than a scrap of see-through lace that left her ass bare, the panties were both baby doll cute and raunchy at the same time. Wearing those panties wasn't for her benefit only. When she'd seen them on the computer screen, she'd imagined Logan seeing her in them and she was willing to admit as much. The red bow in the back made her feel like she was some saucy, dirty gift just waiting to be unwrapped. And she wanted Logan to be the one to take care of that. When she bent down to check the boots she noticed the bow was actually peaking out over the edge of her pants. Like a sexy peek a boo stop sign. A satisfied grin spread on her face. Perfect. Logan may be a stubborn oaf sometimes but he'd notice her and remember that crimson bow alright. Another thought struck her then, widening her grin.

Rogue closed the door and went downstairs, her boots making high clicking sounds with each confident yet giddy step. She was determined, intent on finding the object of her desire - Logan – and showing off her outfit, hopefully giving him a visual he wouldn’t soon forget. She found him in the team’s lounge drinking whiskey and smoking. There was no need to call his name because he immediately turned his head to look at her. His eyes widened at her appearance as he looked up and down then stopped at her mouth. Her inner Rogue broke out the party streamers as he studied her, hungrily eyeing her lips and the lollipop she enjoyed with fake casualness.

"Hey sugar," she said and swayed her way over to stand in front of him.

Logan cleared his throat before he managed his usual 'hey darlin''. Rogue felt a rush of satisfaction at his reaction to her appearance - his eyes traveled up and down her body once more while he took a deep drag on the cigar. It was obvious that he liked what he saw so she gave a little twirl showing her bare back, but knew he'd probably pay a lot more attention to her bottom. The pants looked like they'd been poured onto her legs; they were as skintight as was humanly possible and still remain a pair of pants.

"So how do I look?" she said and rolled the lollipop between her lips. Oh, she was going to enjoy making *him* sweat for a change.

Try as he might, Logan couldn’t come up with one reprimand about her outfit being too ‘flaunty’ because it would make him – and his dick - a big damn hypocrite. His issue with her ‘prowling’ was suddenly forgotten. She may have been dressed up in naughty clothing, but to him she still looked like a pure, sweet little treat and he had the sudden urge to lick her like she was the lollipop.

Logan slowly got to his feet but closed the gap between himself and Rogue before she had the chance to react. Suddenly he was there, looming in front of her. He took another drag on the cigar then gave her the infamous eyebrow.

"Y'know darlin'," he said in a voice husky from drinking too much whiskey and smoking fat Cuban cigars. "I think I'm gonna have to confiscate what you're wearin' - you're a threat to every man's sanity, walkin' around the mansion dressed like that. Hell, even Hank would lose his mind."

Rogue felt her heart skip a beat, not only because of what Logan was saying but how he said it; like he wanted her. He was stubborn most of the time but apparently the whiskey and the painted on pants had lowered his defenses. Now his eyes were glazed with lust.

She took out the lollipop and pursed her lips. "A threat to your sanity, even?"

Logan reached out to finger the satin hem of her top and then slid his arm around her waist, pulling her closer to him. He smelled of liquor and smoke and all Rogue could think about at the moment was how badly she wanted him to kiss her.

"Especially mine," he said softly and leaned into her, his voice getting low and heated, "You think I don't notice you..."

Rogue couldn't help but move herself against him. He was saying all the right things to her, confirming what she'd been thinking while walking into the lounge. Right now, he wanted her and being this close to him, she felt it. The notion of his reaction to her appearance made heat creep up her cheeks again. Logan's eyes went a couple of shades darker and a deep rich velvety sound rose from somewhere inside his chest; that she noticed and was excited by it seemed to affect him too.

"What are you doin'?" his voice sounded almost pleading. "You make me want -"

"What?" Rogue leaned forward, her lips a breath away from his mouth.

"Rooo-oooogue!"

The tension was broken by the sound of Kitty's cheery voice.

"Oh for Christ’s sake, rent a room or something!" she called over her shoulder, "I'm gonna go see if Jubes is ready okay? We'll meet you outside in ten!"

Rogue nodded at her friend as she hurried away. The next moment all her attention was set on Logan again and he still had his arms around her. He grinned at her and murmured, "Rent a room huh?"

Her cheeks flushed pink again. Not that she'd mind sharing a room with him. She wouldn't mind that at all. Her thoughts were soon interrupted again by someone else's presence. She felt Logan's body go instantly tense.

"Awwh ... isn't this cute?"

"Fuck off Creed," Logan sneered which earned him an arrogant laugh in return.

"This ain't your room, is it runt?" Victor's voice resounded in the room.

Logan's arm left her waist and Rogue took a couple of steps backwards and straightened her clothes. It was more out of nervous habit; there was no real need since they were practically plastered to her body. She was getting used to Logan and Victor walking in on each other and her when least expected - or maybe most expected, but this was particularly bad timing. Creed was ruining her moment!

The air was suddenly heavy with anger and testosterone, thick enough to cut through. She turned to glare at the interrupting Victor. He was dressed in leather pants and a white wife beater, leaving his huge arms exposed down to the wrist straps around his forearms; there were straps encircling his muscled thighs and to top it off he wore a belt with the buckle in the shape of a skull, complete with sharp teeth. She glanced back at Logan in the fitted, rugged denim that she knew clung to his ass in a way that made her feel dizzy. The shiny belt buckle gleamed at her proudly, mocking her with the promise of what lay beneath it. That man was custom made to wear blue jeans and he had on a tight white t-shirt that showcased a chest and a set of sculpted arms to die for. Rogue flushed and fought not to whimper out loud. It ought to be illegal for two men, that looked like that, to live under the same roof...and it was definitely not good for her sanity to be in the same room with them and the current swell of male aggression. But neither of them were looking at her now, they were too busy shooting daggers at each other with their eyes.

She'd come here to make sure Logan noticed her and spent the rest of the evening thinking about her; Victor's presence was *not* going to ruin that. Loudly, she cleared her throat but Logan seemed determined to give Victor a taste of his own medicine.

He pointed at Victor with the cigar and growled, "This may not be my room, kitty cat, but don't you have anything better to do than being a goddamn pain in the ass all the time?"

Victor chuckled at the remark. "I love being a pain in the ass, which is more than can be said about you, runt. You're not far from knockin' the mansion's biggest pansy off his throne if you keep it up."

"I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that, you son of a bitch. But you’re gonna want to stay the fuck away from me right now, you got that?" Logan retorted, clenching his fists.

Rogue knew she had to do something to break the tension, anything to keep Logan and Victor from getting at each other's throats.

Oopsy, there goes one of my earrings, she thought and hoped her little scheme would be enough. She bent down to pick up the earring and literally felt the two men snap out of the aggressive haze and focus intently on her and what she was doing instead. They were staring her down, and without looking Rogue knew what they saw - naughty black undies complete with a little red bow peaking out over the edge of her pants.

"Found it!" she declared with a slightly nervous giggle.

Logan was trying to make himself look away to scowl at Victor, who was burning her alive with his pitch black, feral gaze. He flashed his teeth at her in a smug and knowing grin.

"Peek-a-boo," he taunted with that low raspy voice he used when he wanted to get on her case - when he was talking dirty.

Rogue didn't dare look at him but she felt his gaze weighing her down. Instead she put on a bright smile, brushed her hand across Logan’s arm and hurried towards the nearest exit.

"Don't wait up sugar," she said on her way to someplace safer.

"Can't promise I won't, darlin'!" Logan called behind her.

Well out of sight, Rogue managed to breathe again and allowed herself congratulations. She couldn't believe she had the guts to go through with it! Actually, she thought she'd made a successful seductress, but she was stunned by her last stunt. Originally, the plan was for Logan only, but no way was Creed going to stop her...and admittedly it added a little extra thrill to the moment. Rogue couldn't stop the giddy grin that was plastered on her face. Logan had been drooling all over her, and Victor's reaction was basically the same. She could be sin incarnate! She could be sexy! Life was good.

While waiting for Jubes and Kitty in the foyer, she searched her purse for her make- up mirror. Victor and Logan were probably still glaring at each other, not that she should give a damn - at least not for right now. There would be plenty of time for worrying about that tomorrow, but for tonight she deserved a little fun. She opened the front door to let in some fresh air when she heard the sound of boots approaching.

"What took y’all so lo -" Rogue began. The rest of what she intended to say froze on her tongue as she reflexively backed up against the door.

Victor placed his hands on either side of her. He had her trapped, and was already loving every minute of it. In what felt like slow motion she raised her hand to take the lollipop from her mouth. Sucking and licking a piece of candy was only going to fuel Victor's lecherous fire and he didn't need any help.

"Angel ... what are you doin'?" he murmured, his voice a touch amused and pleased - it was impossible to tell which he felt more.

"Nothing."


"Mmm-hmm and I'm a saint. You know I'm not tamed like your precious runt."

Rogue hid the lollipop behind her back and tried to give Victor a firm steady glare.

"Meaning what?" she said.

"Meaning you parading around in front of me flashing your panties ... well there's only so much a man can take," he continued in that same low suggestive tone.

"You are unbelievable Creed," she bit off through clenched teeth. She was not going to give him the satisfaction of making her squirm in his arms again.

"But you knew what you were doin'. You did it all on purpose didn't you, kitten?"

That was it! "And what if I did? It's nothing to you. It wasn't for your benefit."

Victor leaned in close to whisper against her ear. "You. Dirty. Temptress. You’re just makin' excuses ... and what's with the lollipop?"

"I happen to like candy, something wrong with that?" she asked tartly.

Rogue felt him smirk at what she'd just said, and thought she should probably just stop talking all together whenever he was around.

"I'll give you something else to suck on angel," Victor purred and seized one of Rogue's hands. "Somethin' real," he continued and put it against his crotch, "and somethin' that'll last a lot longer."

Rogue's breath caught in shock. This was too much! It wasn't that she'd correctly assumed, and, perhaps imagined, him being well endowed; it was that he didn't seem to have any morals or shame. None whatsoever. There was obviously no end to how lewd he could be. She was beyond stunned and her cheeks were on fire. Still, she couldn't help but feel a little triumphant at how she made *him* feel.

She reassessed her current situation; one word came to mind. Fuck. But not like that. Tonight, not only did Logan want her, but it was painfully obvious that Victor did as well. With one small difference; she knew without a doubt that he didn’t practice Logan’s restraint. He would rip off all her clothes right then and there and take her against the door if she told him he could. He would do it without so much as a thought about anyone else, her reputation, or that she was too precious or pure.


"Stop it," she said and jerked her hand back. Her protest sounded weak, even to her own ears, but she’d been thrown off balance. Rogue told herself she had to get a grip on the situation – regain some level of control.

Victor eyed her smugly. "Mmm, if you say so my sweet little angel, but just so you know ... all you have to do is give me a call. You'll have me before you know it."

"You know I could report this to the Professor," she said, folding her arms across her chest.

"But you won't, 'cause deep down you're not angry with me at all; isn't that right?" he taunted. "You're just angry 'cause you wish it was the runt cornering you."

Rogue sighed and rolled her eyes even though he was right.

“You two need to behave around each other,” she said, desperate to change the subject. “And stop trying to provoke him and stop glaring too. You’re on a team…so…deal with it. That’s all I'm saying. No. Wait. It's a fucking order."

Victor's eyes sparkled. "Oh, I love it when you get like that."

"Like what? No wait, I don't wanna know."

"Like a bossy hellcat ready to bite my head off, just make sure it's the right h-"

Rogue punched him in the chest. "I said I don't wanna know. God - Just keep your thoughts to yourself."

Victor only grunted slightly then served her up an even more satiated grin.

Luckily, Kitty and Jubes picked that moment to come to her rescue. A little too late, but better late than never when it came to men like Victor. He was incorrigible. Jubes shot him a suspicious glare while Kitty did her best to ignore his presence.

"You okay Roguey?" Jubes said and offered Rogue her arm.

"Yeah, I'm alright," she said and shot Victor a stern look she hoped he interpreted as a warning.

"Alright, let's go. I think our cab's here."

As they were about to leave, Victor called out, his voice as close to laughter as she'd ever heard it.

"That's it? Not even a goodbye kiss?"

"Dream on!" she replied over her shoulder.

"What's up with creepy Creed trying to mack on you?" Jubes whispered as Kitty squeezed in to listen.

Rogue shook her head. "Nothing, he's just being his typical self. He thinks he’s God’s gift. You know how he messes with any female within 10 feet radius."

Jubilee and Kitty both looked at her blankly and then a little bit confused.

"Uh… No, chica...can't say that I do know. Luckily he leaves me the hell alone, but he was definitely trying to get all up on you. Told ya that outfit would have 'em begging for mercy!” Jubilee exclaimed proudly.
Chapter 5 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
He had at least four more hours to kill before he headed out that night, and he was restless. Unused to being a do-gooder, the long days without plotting and scheming seemed to drag on forever; with this in mind he sought out his favorite and most entertaining past time

Finally, the rowdy group of ladies had settled into their rooms in the wee hours of the morning. Rogue had enjoyed a fabulous evening. She'd forgotten how much fun a night out with the girls could be, and she was proud of herself for sporting her new outfit with confidence. Even Storm, who was known for wearing some pretty daring attire at times, complimented her initiative.

It was probably closer to daylight than midnight, but a gnawing in Rogue's stomach would not let her get to sleep. An A.M. snack was in order, so she took her growling tummy downstairs to raid the pantry. Content with a bag of cookies and a glass of milk, she started her creeping ascension of the stairs when she heard noises from the garage entry. A familiar voice reached her ears immediately.

"Maybe next time you won't be so damn smug."

"Next time? That an invitation, asshole?"

"You just say when."

Rogue scurried the rest of the way up the stairs, not really sure why she was hiding in the shadows of the landing. She watched as Logan and Victor walked into the front foyer. What were they doing? They had gone out. What the hell?? Were they suddenly drinking buddies? It had to be almost three or four o'clock in the morning! And they were just coming home - together!??

*********

The blinding sun shone through Rogue's window and she moaned, dragging her comforter up over her head. Thank goodness it was Sunday. She planned on sleeping past noon. A soft knock on her door announced the arrival of both Jubilee and Kitty. They looked to be in rough shape as well.

"Rooogue," Kitty whined. "Do you have anything for a headache?"

Sitting up on the bed she managed a smile at her two closest friends. "Check in the bathroom drawer."

She didn’t drink as much as the two of them last night, plus the middle of the night snack fest helped. Her forehead wrinkled as she remembered what she'd seen the night before.

"Hey y’all?" she called to her friends.

Jubilee mumbled something resembling a 'yeah'.

"Tell me what you think...I got up last night for something to eat..."

"UGH - Do not mention food to me," Jubes interrupted.

"No seriously - listen. I was up and I saw Logan coming home at, I don't know...about 4 A.M....and Victor was with him."

"Who?" Kitty asked.

"Vic...Creed,” she corrected. “Creed was with him."

"So," Jubes said, rubbing her eyes. "Maybe they went out bar hoppin'. We certainly did."

Rogue shook her head. "But they can't stand each other. They're not drinking buddies."

"Maybe they were trying to get along," offered Kitty.

"Doubtful. I don't know...I just thought it was weird. Y'all have never seen them hang out, have you?"

"Whatever, chica. I try to avoid Creed like the plague and Wolvster does a good job of staying scarce other than meetings and practice."

"Why don't you just ask Logan what he did last night? I mean, from what I saw...I know what he *wanted* to do last night." Kitty giggled, and then massaged her temples in pain. "Ow."

"Okay, officially," Jubilee interrupted, "that's SO a story I need to hear and you gotta share later because I am totally out of the loop. But for right now, I'm going back to bed...so...make a note or something, because I’ll need debriefing."

"You need de-briefing," Kitty laughed again, still holding her head.

Both girls left, quietly closing the door, and Rogue sat up against her pillows. Something told her she couldn't just ask Logan about last night because he wouldn't be honest. The two of them had an air about them of 'sneaking' back into the house, but why in the hell would they be sneaking? A shocking, fleeting thought went through her mind that involved the two of them sneaking around "together" but then she broke into a smile. Only in her most illicit and obscene dreams! No, they were up to something, and she was going to find out what.

The next couple of days were filled with regular classes and loads of training, but both Logan and Victor seemed to be acting just a tiny bit more tolerable of each other, which was a good thing. However, Logan had kept his distance from her like it was his damn job - and that was a bad thing. They were still around each other on a regular basis, but it was...awkward. He seemed uncomfortable - tense and even more closed-mouthed than usual, but she didn't want to push.

Each night, Rogue stayed up late to see if the two men snuck off, but each night the mansion was quiet. They actually seemed to be a bit more attentive in combat practice too. Creed still leered at her, and every now and then she'd manage to catch Logan checking out her ass in her leather uniform - which was a plus, but other than that - they were behaving. Logan wasn't threatening Victor or vice versa, and Victor had actually gone almost two full days without making one lecherous remark.

***********

Victor Creed was bored. He had at least four more hours to kill before he headed out that night, and he was restless. Unused to being a do-gooder, the long days without plotting and scheming seemed to drag on forever; with this in mind he sought out his favorite and most entertaining past time.

"Is this seat taken, angels?" Victor asked and eased himself down on the couch between Rogue and Jubilee, not waiting for either of them to respond.

"Creed ..." Rogue said obviously annoyed.

Perfect, their little squad leader was in a bitchy mood. Didn't matter, all he could imagine was her tight little ass in painted on pants...with a little red bow on top. He'd behaved himself for days since she'd paraded herself in front of him in practically nothing. Only so much could be expected of a man - and he didn't have the restraint or so-called "honor" of the runt. He eyed her until she began to blush and frown at him. She'd never admit it, but he sensed her annoyance at him calling Jubilee angel too. Well his little pussy cat of a leader might act like an ice queen but she'd melt like wax in his hands eventually.

"So angels, what are you two doin' on such a fine evening?" he said lazily, leaning back and spreading both arms out along the couch.

Rogue folded her arms underneath her bosom. "Trying to have a conversation - not that it's any of your business."

Victor leaned into her. "And what do girls talk about? Wait don't tell me ... lemme guess," he said and tilted his head back as if thinking to himself. "What do naughty little girls talk about...?”

Her eyes widened slightly at the suggestive tone in his voice.

"Don't bother."

"Okay, have it your way...for now...unless," he turned to Jubilee now. "You wanna guess what I was gonna say?" he taunted and arched an eyebrow at her.

"No thanks," she smiled at him with venomous sweetness.

"Me and Jubes were just trying to enjoy ourselves," Rogue elbowed his arm.

"I can see that," he said and nodded towards the wine bottle on the coffee table.

"Well then get lost Sabretooth," she snarled, making a face at him.

This was just too much. He couldn't help but laugh at the whole thing; at Rogue so obviously being bothered by his presence. Calling him Sabretooth - well, well, well ...

"What's the matter 'Roguey'? You don't want me to leave, do you?"

Jubes sighed loudly and patted his shoulder.

"Look here, Mr. Creed, can we have some privacy?"

He turned to flash his fangs for her.

"You don't mind me watching, do ya love? Come on ... you can tell uncle Victor what's on your mind, a naughty little angel like yourself ... I bet I know what you're thinkin' about right now ..."

Rogue made an exasperated sound in her throat, but Victor had a feeling it wasn't just because he was being indecent towards her friend. She could keep on denying it - she liked the way he was talking, just not when it was directed at someone else. Jubilee on the other hand wasn't as tough, she was just stunned - and scared. No challenge there. Not like Rogue.

Jubilee buried her face in her wineglass. "I'm not thinking about anything!" she stammered then stood up. "I gotta go ... fix ... something."

Victor shrugged, "Whatever you say."

"You comin' Rogue?" Jubilee offered her friend an out, but Rogue just glared at Victor in obstinance. "No - I think Creed and I need to discuss something." He watched Jubilee leave the lounge and when it was just the two of them he turned to look at Rogue.

She pursed her lips and gave him the eyebrow. "Thanks for scaring off my friend. You happy - you just ruined my evening?"

"You know angel," he purred and entwined a stray lock of her hair around his fingers, "I may not be a mind reader but something tells me y -"

She poked him in the chest. "Shut. Up. How many times do I have to tell you to just shut the hell up?"

"And I'm telling you - I think you like the way I talk!" Victor barked, shifting to face her fully. "Maybe you won't admit it - but deep down you love to hear me talk dirty. I can get dirtier, ya know? I can tell you what I really think – what I thought about you and your little get-up the other night. I can tell you that I don't see that sweet little girl that your runt sees. I don't see that at all. I see a bottled up little sex kitten that's just beggin' for release. You think he's ever gonna see that - think he's ever gonna give you that release? All he sees is the quiet, innocent girl you used to be."

Rogue sat in a struck silence for a moment. "Oh really? And after the other night - what makes you think he doesn't see me as a woman?" she countered.

"Because angel, if he did ... he'd have taken you already. It's obvious you're begging for it - but that man's a fool," he said with a snort.

"Fuck you!" Rogue bit off and made an attempt to get up and leave. Instead he seized her by the waist and pulled her down to sit in his lap.

"I'd love nothing more than for you to ask me that ... go ahead - beg *me* angel.”

Rogue opened then closed her mouth again. She was angry with him, alright, but her anger only enticed him more. Then she changed her facial expression and leaned forward like she was going to kiss him.

"Oh Victor you're so bad I could just ..."

His grip on her hips tightened. "You could what?” he murmured.

"I could do this!" she spat and slugged him hard in the stomach. "Now let me go!"

"Now why are you being so cruel to me?" he coughed, trying to catch is breath but laughing to himself. "Whatever have I done to deserve that?"

Rogue sighed and shook her head at him. She was sitting still, but having her in his lap like that was ... distracting. He made no move to hide his bodily reaction to her, which seemed to wind her up even more.

"You’re hopeless! It's totally useless with you - isn't it?" she asked, looking a little defeated.

"What is?" he asked.

"Nothing," she said, rolling her eyes. "Seriously - don't mess with any of my friends again. Ever. You got that?" she sounded grumpy.

"Is that really why you're being so cold hearted? You jealous?"

Her look was incredulous, then almost resigned. "Not hardly, but you can keep on thinking that because you're going to anyway. I gotta put up with your leers and your gutter mind and that's enough. But don't pick on my friends. Just stay away from them, Victor."

"That's a good little leader, sticking up for your friends," he said, tightening his grip and shifting her when she tried to slide away. "But you know - the best part of your speech was the end...where you said my name. Say it again. Say my name," he rumbled.

"God, you're unbelievable - you know that?!!" she threw her hands in the air but he only watched her and tightened his hands on her waist.

"Fine! I'll say it, but you gotta let me up first."

Victor was about to agree when his thought was interrupted.

"What the hell!" Logan's voice boomed through the small den.
Chapter 6 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
"I cannot emphasize enough how much you need to stay away from him," he forced out in a failed attempt at an even tone. "Do you understand?"
His voice caught Victor off guard, and Rogue used the chance to scramble to her feet. She flushed a shade of pink and looked at Logan like she wanted to melt into the floor. Apparently he read the distress on her face.

"You okay Rogue? I'm not interrupting..."

"God no!" she blurted, making Victor glare at her. "I was...he was just…"

Logan moved before anyone could catch the action, grabbing Creed by the collar of his shirt.

"What did I tell you about crossing the line around here, bub?!" he growled and twisted his grip on the shirt.

"You gonna stop me runt? Put me in my place? Let's go then! Why wait?" Creed gnashed his teeth and wrapped his hands around Logan's arms.

"Stop it! Both of you!" Rogue yelled. When neither of them listened, she began to tug at their arms. "You're supposed to be on the same team! Act like it, dammit! Behave!"

"That might be asking a bit much of me," Victor sneered, showing his teeth.

"Logan," she tried, "it's...it's fine. He didn't hurt me - he's just trying to piss you off."

"Well it's working," Logan growled again.

"Come on, just let him go - he's not worth it. Please?"

"Heh - hear that, she's beggin' you runt. Bet you love it when she begs."

With that, Logan flung him back down on the couch and stood over him. "That's it Creed! You want another ass beating that bad, you got it! It'll be my pleasure."

Logan abruptly grabbed Rogue's arm, pulling her behind him to leave the room.

"The pleasure will be mine Wolverine," Victor called behind him.

Once out of the room and down the hallway, Logan spun back to her.

"I cannot emphasize enough how much you need to stay away from him," he forced out in a failed attempt at an even tone. "Do you understand?"

Rogue shook her head at him. "Don't you think that's a little unrealistic since I am his squad leader? I know what you mean and yeah, Creed is an asshole, but he's not going to hurt me. He just does stuff to try and get a rise out of me. He'll get bored with it eventually, but *not* if he knows that messing with me is pissing you off! You're playing right into what he wants...I've learned that now. If he goes too far, I just knock the shit out him. Otherwise, I just ignore him - he's like a school bully or something."

Logan was shaking his head now. "You are grossly underestimating that bastard and that's your biggest mistake. You knew when he got here how dangerous he is, what he's capable of; none of that's changed. How can you think differently now? You gotta train with him and fight with him – fine. But you don't need to have a damn thing to do with him outside of that."

"I'm not trying to be his damn buddy, Logan! But I can't spend my days running from him or hiding in my room. I refuse to let him dictate how I'm going to act. If he bugs me, I can take care of it. I can handle Creed perfectly well, thank you."

"Looked more like he was handling you just now."

"Oh please! He was just about to let me up," Rogue said, defensively. "Creed is all about playing mind games and so far I've survived just fine. I don't want the two of you trying to beat each other to death in the den over it. Besides, I don't feel like arguing with you over this. You've avoided me and haven't spoken to me in days and now we're gonna argue?"

Logan looked into her accusing eyes and knew she was right. He hadn't actively avoided her, but he hadn't been seeking her out either. Truth was, he just didn't know what to say to her after groping her like a common fight groupie just a few nights ago. That’s what he’d thought about and how he’d treated her, like one of the women he’d take for the night and leave before dawn. What the hell had gotten into him?

She'd looked and smelled so damn good, the epitome of temptation, he couldn't help it. The urge to kiss her had made his chest feel tight, but what was he gonna do after kissing her? Offer her the ride of her life and then a 'thanks-see ya around'? That's all he had to offer, and Marie was worth so much more. He was supposed to be her friend, not another letch like Creed. More importantly, she relied on him, needed him – and not like that. The way she saw him - he was not going to ruin that. It had been hell to try and keep his hands to himself, but he had to. Not taking whatever he wanted was the only thing that separated the man from the animal. Anything less made him no better than goddamn Sabretooth.

"I'm not avoiding you," he lied. "I've been busy."

Rogue gave him a look that said she highly doubted it, but he quickly changed the subject.

"And what do you mean 'so far you've survived'? You mean to tell me he makes a habit of grabbing you?!"

"No," she denied. "But he's usually got some macho-creep remark and it's not just with me - he does it to plenty of the other women, but he does it for a reaction. Believe me; he's not going to do anything in an entire house full of X-Men. It's all bark."

Logan studied her looking completely unconvinced. "Promise me you'll avoid being around him alone."

She sighed, but nodded in agreement. "Fine. I will always try to have a chaperone."

He arched an eyebrow, not amused.

"Okay, okay. I promise I will avoid getting stuck alone with him again."

"I don't trust him Rogue - not even a little bit. I don't want anything to happen to you, because then I'd gladly have to kill the bastard. If he weren't part of Chuck's damned crusade, I probably would've killed him already."

"Point taken," she said and patted his arm. "Now...can we change the subject?"

Logan grumbled but conceded.

"Somehow, I've managed to lose Jubes - so why don't you find her for me."

"You sure you're not going from bad to worse?" he joked.

********

That night, Rogue stayed up late again. This time with a cup of coffee, she sat quietly in the dark of one of the study rooms on the main floor. Jones was up watching television - as per usual - but the rest of the mansion was in bed. She felt like one of those movie spies or double agents, but the curiosity was killing her. So far the only people stirring were her and Jones. Maybe Logan and Victor coming home late together was a one time thing and she was acting like an idiot trying to stay up late for no reason. Just as she was about mentally shame herself, she heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Later Jonesy," she heard Logan say.

She remained inside the small study, but dared to peak through the cracked door and watch Logan head towards the garage. He'd finally spoken to her today, but any attempt at small talk had been totally unsuccessful. All he wanted to do was insist she stay far away from Creed, wear clothing from head to toe, and maybe stay locked in her room for an eternity – just for good measure. Dammit, she wasn't some fragile fucking princess that needed an ivory tower complete with armed guards! Why couldn't he get that? And regardless of what he said, he most certainly had been avoiding her. Ever since she'd shown a little initiative and he'd finally shown that he wasn't *completely* immune to her, he'd frozen up. She had the unreasonable urge to kick him in the shins when he pulled that crap.

A few minutes later, she heard heavier footsteps approaching and saw Victor headed in the same direction. This was it! They were so busted! At...whatever it was they were doing. Waiting until she heard the garage open, she flew down the hall after them. Creeping through the door, she watched as Victor rolled his bike out of the garage. Logan was apparently already through the gate and taking off. Dammit. They were definitely being covert, and now she had to follow them to see what was going on.

Once Victor was well down the driveway, she snagged the keys to one of the smaller, economy cars and started it, keeping the lights off. There was only one main road away from the mansion, so she hoped she could go unnoticed but not lose them. She went through the mansions gates and down the dark, curvy road until she saw Creed's distant tail lights ahead of her. They drove for what seemed forever and only ended up even further in the middle of nowhere. Luckily there was a little traffic, so Rogue felt certain they had no idea they were being followed.

Finally, Creed pulled off onto a short dirt road and she slowed to read the sign but didn't pull in behind him. "End of the Road" the sign read. A bar? They were going out for a drink. Seriously? She'd never even heard of this dive. What the hell was going on?
Chapter 7 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
Why was she the one running? Why the hell did she feel like she'd done something wrong?! They were the ones in trouble here! She'd done nothing but follow them! They shouldn’t even be out here!
Rogue drove down the bumpy dirt road into a make shift parking lot. She spotted both bikes amongst several others and a plethora of beat up cars. It was definitely Logan's kind of place. Pulling her coat around her, she adjusted her hat and tucked any stray hairs up underneath the ratty baseball cap. Figuring she might have to do some incognito-recon work, she'd planned ahead and wondered if this is what being a detective felt like. She slipped inside; ignoring the suspicious glance the security guy gave her as she passed by. Once inside, she understood his confused look. It said 'Why the hell are you dressed like that, comin' to a place like this?'

Most of the women present among the drunks were dressed more or less like hookers; with clothes that seemed to date back long before 'Pretty Woman' was ever made. Suddenly she felt as out of place as she had in that bar in Laughlin so long ago. She scanned the bar, but didn't see a sign of either Logan or Victor. She couldn't believe they'd actually snuck away to have...a beer?

Then she saw it. Blatant and proud, it stood in the middle of the room, metal reaching from floor to ceiling with seating all around. A cage.

" Well Sonuvabitch," Rogue muttered to herself. How could she have been so oblivious? Of course. Those two jack asses were sneaking off - to fight! They weren't going to swig beers together anymore than she would share a martini with Magneto!

But why couldn't they just fight in the Danger Room? Because Chuck would never go for it, her inner Logan said.

She nervously looked around and found an empty stool near the door. Sliding up she took another, longer look around but still saw neither man. They obviously didn't want anyone to know they were here, and with good reason. Xavier wouldn't approve of this, and Scott would have a fit and fall in it. Plus, they had to be making a profit off of this. Right? Beating the shit out of each other for money? But who would win between the two of them? Pride wouldn't allow them to fix the fight - and she knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that they came here to fight. No way her boys were there as spectators! Wait - not her boys - just Logan and plain ole Victor.

Well, she was going to stick around and see just what was going on! This was crazy! Why would two sworn enemies get together to arrange a fight? They couldn't do this. If the crowd figured out they were mutants, it could turn into a huge bar brawl...not that she was worried who would come out on top...but still! On second thought, a fight between the two of them could go on forever and the crowd probably loved it.

Just as the thought crossed her mind, the announcer stepped inside the ring and people began to file into the remaining seats. Rogue stayed safely at the bar, praying that the stench of alcohol, sweat, and stale smoke was enough to mask her scent.

"Got another special one tonight, folks!" the announcer crooned and the crowd began to stir.

"Back ... by popular demand ... End of the Road brings you a no holds barred match ... Sabretooth and the Wolverine!"
The yelling and screaming was almost deafening and Rogue flinched as a thick craze seemed to engulf the crowd. They were going crazy over this!

She nodded to the bartender for a beer and watched as Creed and then Logan entered the cage.

Rogue sat enraptured once they were inside. Both of them had gone barefoot and bare-chested; she unconsciously bit at her lower lip. ‘Dear God,’ she thought, but never finished.

Logan moved immediately, charging towards Creed with no hesitation. The two of them fell towards the far side of the cage with the force of his assault. Creed retaliated, punching Logan, backing him up. They exchanged blows for a while until Victor managed to get a hold on Logan, locking his arms by his sides. To escape the hold, he threw his head back, butting it against Victor's chin. It was enough to faze the taller man so his grip loosened. Once out, Logan and Victor faced off against each other again, circling one another, measuring up their opponent.

Rogue's breath caught in her throat. At that moment, they looked exactly like two caged animals. No - they were two caged animals. There was little left of either man and the thought was both terrifying and thrilling to her. The exertion had them covered in sweat and she felt a cold trickle of her own run down her back. Something was wrong with her. She couldn't keep her mind from wandering down darkened, secret paths where feral lust dominated.

Logan landed another punch and Victor grabbed him, tossing him to the other side of the cage. Foolishly, for one instance, she thought 'they'll get hurt', but the lure of what was happening in front of her overshadowed any concern. The patrons loved every minute of it - and shamefully, so did she. But she wasn't just enjoying it for the simple thrill of violence. Rogue was drawn to it on a completely different level, and it scared her.

She should leave. She should walk out right now and consider what needed to be done. They couldn't do this anymore and as squad leader she had to forbid it.

This time, Victor was thrown and locked against her side of the cage, his face pressed against the metal. Logan was behind him, digging a forearm into his neck.

It wasn't right for her to watch this - watch this and feel a sensual rush, a charge of stimulation. Rogue realized she was biting her lip so hard she'd drawn blood. What did this say about her?

She had to get out of there - now! As she sprung from her seat, she looked back to see a set of haunting eyes honed directly in on her. Victor was looking right at her.

Oh God! He knew! He wasn't even fighting anymore, he was just watching her. Victor was smirking and Logan was looking at Victor like he was going to skewer him with his claws. Victor relaxed just long enough for Logan to spin him around and get in one solid punch, knocking him down for the count.

Rogue knew he was faking. He was cutting the fight short because he wanted to bust her for being there and probably give her holy hell for it. She bolted for the parking lot.

Stopping half way to the car, she looked around as if just realizing what she was doing. Her heart was thundering in her chest. Why was she the one running? Why the hell did she feel like she'd done something wrong?! They were the ones in trouble here! She'd done nothing but follow them! They shouldn’t even be out here!

She got in her car and revved the engine. Going to tattle-tell to Scott wasn't the answer. No, she'd wait and corner Logan tomorrow and tell him he was out of his ever loving mind! She could feel her face was on fire, out of frustration as much as embarrassment at her state. What if they could tell? What if they knew what she'd felt, seeing them in that cage? Rogue sped home, wishing she'd stayed in her room that night.

****************
Closing her eyes only made things worse. She tossed her head against her pillows. It seemed impossible to block out the images, no matter how hard she rubbed her temples. Logan. Victor. Logan and Victor in a cage.

No, no, no - she couldn't think about it! All that skin ... Bare skin, rippling muscle underneath bare, sweaty skin...all that flesh, all that caged fury. The tension between them had been palpable. Even the by-standers in the bar, who didn't know either man from Adam, could sense it. But she knew both men, worked with them both, lived with them both - and their tension ran so deep, she could taste it. It didn't taste bitter or vile. No, it was intoxicating.

Oh god, this was bad, so very, very bad. Hopefully neither had noticed her scent. Or the change in it that she was certain had occurred. Logan hadn't seen her and they'd seemed way too focused on each other to pick up on her smell. Or maybe they had and she was going to be in trouble ... no. No. It was Logan and Victor that were in trouble! They had to be put into their place for what they were doing behind her back, behind everyone's back. She didn't even want to think about how many times they'd been fighting before this.

Rogue's cheeks burned at the very thought of what she had been thinking during the fight. That primal, feral scent they gave off. It oozed over her, thick and sweet like honey - it had been enough to make her head spin. Her head was spinning now. It tightened things low in her body and the feeling wasn't going away. Her skin itched like it was electrified and she could not make herself relax. Logan and Victor in a cage fight. She'd watched them and imagined things she shouldn't have ... things she was imagining now.

A muffled sound escaped Rogue's lips as she slipped her hand down into her panties, knowing that this was the only way to get rid of some of the tension they'd awoken within her. Heaven help her, she wanted their hands on her. Back and forth. Slow circular motions. More images. She leaned her head back into her pillows and imagined someone else between her thighs while her fingers danced.

Being an expert at bringing herself over because of her mutation, Rogue longed for the real thing. The very thought of experiencing that right now with either of those two vastly virile men made her want to scream out of sheer frustration. So - maybe Bobby had had his hands down her pants a few times and they'd gotten each other off - it wasn't the real deal.

Her instincts assured her there were things that didn't even begin to compare to what she and Bobby had done; he was a kid, a boy. They were men, and not just any men, but two supremely masculine men, two forces of nature. It wasn't hard to come up with a hundred, a thousand different fantasies starring either of them and her. Or the both of them and her. Shit. This was out of hand. She was their squad leader and they had to answer to her. Lusting after her teammates was like ... like ... a teacher lusting after a student - two older male students that reeked of sexuality ... and that thought only mutated in her mind into a lurid fantasy involving a ruler.

Xavier would be shocked if he ever learned what was going through her mind about the two alphas. Even worse would be Scott's reaction; he'd never been fond of Logan in the first place, and now here was another man who was equally as arrogant, maybe more so. Scott would surely freak, if not go ballistic, if he found out. It was so wrong, so bad. She was bad for thinking it. So bad. No one could ever know. No one would ever know.

Rogue arched her lower back, angling her hips. It would just be her ... dirty … little ... secret.

Sucking on her lower lip to keep from being too loud, she instantly knew she was being watched. Someone had come into her room. What the fuck? Who ...? Guilt and panic stilled her hand and made her breath catch. She could hear her heart thumping like it was in her ear.

"Don't go all quiet on my behalf, little angel."

Rogue's eyes flew open at the sound of a far too familiar male voice. What the hell was he doing in her room?!

"Victor."

"That's my name ..."
Chapter 8 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
She was withholding information about the unruly behavior of two of her squad members, she was having lurid fantasies about those same two members, one of them she was in love with but he alternated between perhaps wanting her and wanting to lord over her - oh yeah and after her little underwear peep show, he probably thought she was a big hussy and was now avoiding her at all costs. The other teammate wanted to drag her off to his cave, and she'd given him a free peep show last night! Yep. Everything was just dandy!
He casually leaned back against the wall, looking smug and entirely too pleased with himself for catching her in the act; or so she assumed...but maybe he hadn't. Maybe he'd just come in. She clung to that tiny, worn thread of hope.

Rogue looked around, confused. "How the hell did you get into my room?" she asked in disbelief.

"The window was open," was his casual response, like that meant 'welcome in'.

"Well what the hell are you doing in here?!" she snapped while trying to ignore her burning cheeks and the fact that she was wearing no more than panties and a tank top; not to mention she'd been about to get herself off in front of him.

Victor just let his dark gaze roam all over her, shamelessly, like she was his next meal. That was how he made her feel. It was embarrassing as hell, but strange humming electricity coursed through her body. She could tell he enjoyed the view of her sitting there - flushing, panting. Oh God, she thought, she didn't even have on a bra! This was *so* not good, not good at all.

"That depends ..." he finally said, and let that almost creepy black gaze sweep across her nipples.

"On what?" The question didn't come out as angry as she would've liked, and she hated the way he made her feel so insecure.

"What you want as an answer."

Rogue frowned and snorted, trying to inconspicuously tug her comforter up. "The truth, of course." On second thought, she didn't want that. When was she going to learn; with Victor it was better if she just kept her mouth shut.

He strolled over to the bed and towered over her.

"You absolutely sure?"

The man had no morals, absolutely no manners, and for all she knew, he never had. Respect? That wasn't Victor; he wouldn't even know how to spell the word, so arguing that point wouldn't do her any good. She decided to forgo that lecture, and save it for when she was fully dressed. For now she'd go with what he understood; intimidation, threats, and anger.

"You cannot just barge in here! I don't know who the hell you think you are, but I could throw you outta this place so fast your head would spin. Not only that Victor, but I could dispense with you myself! Self-defense, Creed is dead. Oopsy!"

Victor gave her a deep laugh and a sneer that revealed he was calling her bluff.

"Go ahead. Give it your best shot. You were big and bad at that cage fight tonight; let's see it. Come on girl," he growled, "let's see you put the hurtin' on me."

Rogue sat frozen, knowing she could put up a damn good fight but in the end she wasn't sure of a victory. Even more, the last thing she wanted to do was get into close hand combat with the likes of Victor Creed. Her last resort would be to drain him, and that would be her absolute *last* resort. Barely touching him once with her mutation had given her more than enough of Victor in her head.

"You're not gonna throw me out Rogue. You and your little friends need me too much, plus, I think deep down inside you kinda like havin' me around. You certainly liked what you saw tonight. Didn't you?"

Rogue ignored his question. "I want you to stop this stupid game you're playing and get the fuck out of my room! Leave me alone. Go find something else to do other than ... than." Her words faded and were replaced with more embarrassment. He was giving her the arrogant, leering eyebrow.

"Than...what? Watch our big, bad squad leader get herself off? Rogue ... my little angel ... you're asking an awful lot of me," he taunted and flashed his fangs at her in a slow, wide grin.

"Stop calling me that! You know, I don't seem to remember handing out invitations saying come by whenever you want and feel free to crawl through my damn window."

"Maybe you didn't send me a formal invitation," he continued in a teasing tone and leaned down over her, "but I can read between the lines. That stunt you pulled earlier - sneaking into a place like that just to have a look. I just *had* to find out what you thought. You liked it, didn't you? I saw that look in your eyes. Admit it; you get off on it, on the raw power of it. Probably wouldn't look good for you to be a part of something so...dirty. Maybe you'd prefer a private showing..."

"Leave me alone, Victor," the words sounded like a weak plea even to her ears.

Victor placed his hands on each side of her, “I just want the same thing you do, angel."

Rogue huffed angrily and made an attempt to get up but found herself effectively trapped. Victor seized her hand and ran his tongue across her still damp fingers.

"Tasty ..."

She was too shocked to slap him.

"Stop ... stop or -"

He leaned into her, looking very smug. "Why are you lyin' to yourself?" he whispered and licked her fingers again.

Rogue moved to jerk her hand free, but he had an iron grip on her wrist. In a move so swift her eyes didn't catch it; his other hand was a knotted fist in her hair.

"Don't you wanna know what it feels like?"

Rogue swallowed hard. She knew where he was leading but she wouldn't give him the satisfaction of tagging along.

"Don't you wanna know what I can do to you? What it would feel like to have an animal between your thighs, tasting you?"

"No," she hissed. That he even suggested it...

"Liar."

"You're so fucking full of yourself. I -”

Victor pressed her down into the mattress and ran his tongue up her neck.

"Feels good don't it?" he breathed against her ear.

It did. It felt way too good. Damn him. Damn his rough tongue. Damn his massive chest pressed against hers - that same bare chest that had Logan locked against it earlier. Rolling muscle and taut flesh, two warriors bent on destruction but they were both absolute physical perfection. Rogue felt herself going under, she wanted to wriggle and buck her hips against him and - no! No! Not going to happen!

"Get off me," she bit out.

"Oh I'll get you off, and deny it all you want little girl, but I know you want me between your legs. You want me to taste that pussy of yours. I will. You and I both know you'll come begging me to finish what you started tonight. Unless ..."

Her body went rigid beneath him as he drew back enough so that their eyes met.

"Unless you want me to take off your panties right now," he said and inhaled sharply through his nose. "Tasty sweet, just like -"

Somewhere Rogue found the strength to push him away before he'd had the chance to finish that last sentence. She didn't want to hear it, even though she knew fully well what he was talking about.

She went straight for the bathroom - the only refuge at the moment - with Victor's low pitched laughter and intense devouring gaze trailing her.

"Get out!" she snapped over her shoulder then slammed the door shut. Victor left, still laughing, and she let out a breath.

Alone. Finally. She had to clear her head. She desperately needed a shower, an icy cold shower to clean her body and mind.

*********

Rogue hid a yawn behind the palm of her hand as she entered the cafeteria to get some breakfast. It was still early but several people were already up. She grabbed a tray and went straight towards the coffee. A cup, no two or three cups of black coffee was what she needed to feel 'human' again; maybe coffee and some yogurt, but only because a Danger Room session on an empty stomach was a no-no. The events of the previous night and her impending nerves had thrown her appetite off.

Sighing as she took a seat at an empty table, she noticed Logan entering the cafeteria, followed by Scott and the Professor. He seemed a little tired but other than that he looked as stoic as he’d been the last few days. She'd decided not to say a word to him about the cage fight. If they continued to go, maybe she'd confront him about it then. But for now, she wanted to forget the whole thing. All of it.

Rogue prayed that he wouldn't take one look at her and know where she'd been last night, know what she'd done, know who had come into her room. Her visual on Logan was blocked when the Professor came to sit opposite her. Xavier was studying her and his near angelic facial expression suddenly got on her nerves. She wanted to yell at him to stop looking like that and ... her thoughts were interrupted by his calm, parental voice.

"Rogue? Are you listening?"

She frowned slightly. "Yes ..."

Charles smiled and watched her face for a while.

"I've scheduled a group meeting today," he said.

"Okay. When?" She tried to pay attention but her eyes kept seeking Logan. When his eyes finally met hers, he gave her a weak smile and sat down at a table on the far side of the room. Rogue didn’t want to act like it hurt, but it did. Why was he still keeping his distance? Other than giving her the ‘stay away from Creed’ speech, he wasn’t having anything to do with her. She'd given him ample opportunity to find her, strike up a conversation, hang out; but nope - now suddenly she had the plague. He was supposed to be her best friend and his avoidance stung.

Of course, she wasn't so sure that right now was the best time for a buddy-buddy talk or even a quick exchange. She felt like she had guilt written all over her face. But he could at least acknowledge her presence with a genuine smile. He was the one sneaking around and going to cage fights - then giving her lectures on how to behave. The nerve! Unable to suppress a huffy sigh, Rogue stared down into her coffee mug. She'd done nothing to warrant his complete avoidance. Right now she needed him more than ever, but didn’t feel as if she could approach him.

The Professor laid a hand on her arm, concern written all over his face.

"Rogue, are you alright?" he said softly.

She shrugged then forced a smile. Sure she was alright. Everything was fine! Peachy keen. She was withholding information about the unruly behavior of two of her squad members, she was having lurid fantasies about those same two members, one of them she was in love with but he alternated between perhaps wanting her and wanting to lord over her - oh yeah and after her little underwear peep show, he probably thought she was a big hussy and was now avoiding her at all costs. The other teammate wanted to drag her off to his cave, and she'd given him a free peep show last night! Yep. Everything was just dandy!

Rogue refused to meet his gaze, unsure what he might pick up on. "I don't want to talk about it. When's the meeting?"

He gently patted her arm before leaning back in his chair. Despite, or maybe because of being a telepath, Charles knew when to stop pushing.

"We’ll meet when everyone's finished having breakfast, which should be in half an hour or so."

She nodded in response and he quietly accepted her unspoken request to be left alone. The coffee had gone cold and the yogurt tasted like glue, but Rogue knew she had to eat. She finished her meal and set her sights back on Logan. She couldn't take it anymore - she was going to walk right up to Logan and ask him what his damn problem was. He was hiding and she was going to demand a reason. Better to just get it over with, she decided, and took a deep breath. Getting up from the table, her path was suddenly blocked by a leering Victor Creed.

"Oh what the fuck do you want now?!!" she yelled without thinking, her famous temper about to blow. Exhausted by his behavior, she was so close to losing it.

"Why angel ... here I was thinkin' you'd be glad to see me but I guess a 'Good mornin' love' is too much to ask," Victor said and gave her a lopsided smile.

Rogue shot him a defiant glare, not in the mood for his games. She tried to push past him, but he swiftly side stepped her, holding her arm.

"Why the rush?" he whispered and gave a low chuckle as his eyes followed hers. "Still pining for the runt aren't you?"

"Let go of my arm Victor," she bit off without taking her eyes off Logan.

"He doesn't have what you need."

Rogue turned her head, putting her face mere inches away from Victor's, so close she could feel his breath against her skin.

"And what would you know about what I need?" she growled.

He showed her two sets of sharp white teeth in a wide grin, his eyes taking on an obscene gleam.

She laughed into his face. "Don't tell me! You've been a mind reader all along and never bothered to enlighten me or the rest of the team!"

Rogue twisted her arm, trying to free it, but Victor had a tight grip. He moved his other hand to slide down the front of her body, "See ... you know what this makes me think of?"

Rogue shuddered. She couldn't believe he had the nerve to touch her like that in public. It didn't seem like anyone had noticed and she prayed Logan didn't pick that moment to look at her.

"No - and I don't wanna know!"

He inhaled sharply. "Mmm ... makes me think of all that skin, fresh and clean and free for me to appreciate. Makes me think of you; hot and excited about me and the runt in that cage. Makes me wanna take that tight, rosy nipple into my mouth ... just ask me, angel and I will. I told you I won't hurt ... promise."

"Promise?" she hissed sarcastically. "Save your bullshit for someone who gives a damn. Now let go of me." She hated herself right now; hated the way her body responded to his touch, hated that he'd ever seen her naked in the first place, hated that he walked in on a private moment in her bedroom. She was going to start padlocking the damn doors and locking the windows around here. A swift jerk of her arm and she freed it.

"Unless you want me to cause a scene, you'll get away from me right now," she warned.

"Whatever you say. Just remember," he leaned in so close his breath moved her hair. "I know where you live."

As he turned his back and walked away, she caught Logan arching his eyebrow at them both in question and reproach. He approached her swiftly as his face grew more disapproving with every step.

"Logan." Rogue folded her arms beneath her breasts. If he wanted to pick a fight, then she certainly had enough ammunition and she was well beyond pissed off at this point. She was well practiced at defending herself too, after dealing with a lecherous Sabretooth nipping at her heels.

"What the hell are you doin'?" he growled, thinking the worse.

"Me?!" Her shock at his accusatory tone quickly turned to indignation. "I'm minding my own business Logan! I'm trying to defend myself! Not that it has anything to do with you ... and why do you care anyway? For days you can't stand to be around me and suddenly I'm top priority. It's not like you're my damn daddy.” she added with a sneer.

Logan glared at her, his hands turning into tight, hard fists. He knew she was referring to his behavior the other night. First his actions had been anything but parental and then his attempt at rectifying this situation was to avoid her. It couldn’t be helped. What was he supposed to do, admit that he didn’t trust himself around her right now? Not gonna happen.

"No, I’m not your damn daddy! So do whatever you want. But you hang out with the likes of him and you're messin' with fire. I would hate to see you get burned."

She threw back his infamous eyebrow at him.

"Oh really? Somehow I don't think Victor is the one that's gonna cause me pain with the way he's acting!" she almost yelled and left him standing there.

Storming out of the cafeteria and down the hallway to gain some privacy, she cursed herself for being involved in semi-public melodrama. The last thing she wanted was to be combative with Logan. She needed him now, but not to play the part of protective parent. Rogue was still wondering how things had gotten so messed up when the team meeting was called to order.
Chapter 9 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
Giving up just wasn’t in her vocabulary, nor was wallowing in self pity. Hell, she’d been the untouchable girl before and managed, Logan couldn’t be *that* much of challenge. Maybe she wasn't making her interest clear enough.
Her birthday. It was her birthday, and he didn't even remember it. She thought he’d maybe warm up to her again for her special day, but he hadn’t. Jubilee and Kitty remembered her birthday, but that didn't really count. They were girls and girl friends always remembered stuff like that; not Logan. He was too busy being Mr. Cool and Casual to remember something personal like birthdays. Asshole. She could’ve dropped hints this morning when they’d been forced together in practice, but she had her pride.

She was supposed to be having a good time, dancing and partying at her favorite night club. It was supposed to be fun. Kitty and Jubes had even ordered a huge bottle of champagne for them to share. Rogue was supposed to be happy, not brooding. Brooding was something Logan did.

She had to pull herself together before she ruined the rest of their evening out, and blamed that on Logan too. The problem was, she couldn't confide in either Kitty or Jubes about what she was feeling. She wasn’t even sure exactly *what* she was feeling, but Logan was definitely part of the problem. Damn him, his elusiveness, his stupid pride, and his stubborn need to act all … Logan-ish and protective. Rogue felt her hand tighten its grasp on the champagne glass. Protection wasn't what she wanted. She wanted him; wanted something from him that had little to do with protection ... and she wanted him to want her too.

She observed the other two girls as they giggled and made eyes at any cute boys passing by. Rogue cared about her friends dearly, but sitting there with them - she felt like a sham. She was hiding a dirty little secret that they would never understand; not just about Logan, but about what happened to her at the cage fight. She couldn’t let it go. Her attraction to what went on there, her run-ins with Victor, how she felt around him and Logan ... it couldn't be normal. A normal, healthy girl her age wouldn't have her thoughts, her fantasies ... her needs.

"Oh honey, what's the matter?" Kitty's concerned voice brought her back to reality.

Rogue sighed and emptied her glass. Every god damn thing was wrong.

"Nothing ... really," she said gloomily and smiled a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"I don't believe you," Jubes said, then softly added "'cause I know that look. It's *the* look."

Rogue frowned at her friends, and looked down at her now empty glass. Champagne. More champagne was what she needed, not an interrogation.

"What look?" she asked while refilling her champagne flute.

Jubilee smiled. "It's a guy, ain't it sweetie?"

When Rogue didn't respond, but suddenly found the bubbles in her champagne a lot more interesting - both Kitty and Jubes gave her a simultaneous 'Oh'. Yeah 'oh', she thought and sighed. She felt like laughing at the whole thing. What a fool she was to think something was significant about the times Logan had gotten that weird look in his eyes ... the intimate moment they'd shared in the study, the blazing hot moment when she'd tried to tempt him. Logan's warm, strong hands on her skin ... it had felt so good. All she wanted was to feel like that again; comforted and caressed...and groped and grabbed. Any of it would be better than feeling like she was a pariah or some kind of liability.

Victor didn't seem to think things like that. He seemed okay with her as their squad leader, he definitely didn’t avoid her, and he never gave her shit about how she should act. He gave her shit alright, but not about those things. Rogue shook her head; Victor Creed could stand her being a grown up, but Logan couldn't? It made no sense. She wondered what Logan would say if he knew some of the thoughts she had ... frequently.

Jubes gently touched her arm. "So, Roguey ... who's the lucky guy?"

"You don't wanna know," she mumbled and took a gulp of champagne.

"It's not Bobby is it?" Kitty asked, chewing at her lower lip.

"No Kitty," she said, rolling her eyes, "not Bobby. I'm really done with him ... promise."

Jubilee reached across them to refill everyone's glass. "Nah chica. It ain't Bobby, but I bet I've got a good guess."

Rogue cocked an eyebrow at her friend as she continued.

"I'm thinkin' older...on your squad...big fella. Mmmm, I bet he's an animal in the sack. Ringin' any bells for ya?"

Kitty gasped. "Creed?! Rogue! Are you nuts?" she yelled.

"No - not Creed you dork!" Jubilee answered, giving the girl a shove. "Damn! I said animal - not monster."

"He's not *that* bad," Rogue found herself saying. Maybe Logan was bad enough news, and Victor was even worse, but still...

Both girls looked at her, slack-jawed.

"I mean he's bad, but I wouldn't say he's a monster. Not now, anyway." She shook her head again as they continued to stare. "Anyway - no, it's not Victor."

"It's Logan," Jubes answered for her. "Hell, that’s no big secret! Not to me anyways; we’re old roomies, remember? I was there when he left the first time. I am familiar with what *that* look means."

"And you'll take it to your grave, Jubes," Rogue stated emphatically.

"Of course I will, hon. But what's the big deal? Just tell him how you feel. No doubt he's all hot and bothered for you too." Jubilee added a dramatic gesture before tilting back her glass.

"First of all, he is most definitely NOT hot and bothered."

"How d'you know?" Kitty asked, slurring slightly. "I saw how he was checking you out th' other night."

Victor’s words came back to her like an echo. "Because a hot and bothered Wolverine wouldn't be able to keep his damn hands off of me — that’s how I know! You remember how he used to drool over Jean. I may have gotten him bothered for one night, but then it was 'bye-bye Logan'." Rogue nudged Jubilee for more champagne.

"We're gonna need another bottle," Jubes observed and flagged down a cute waiter.

"Well ... m'be you just haven't made it ... you know, clear that you're reeeaaally int'rested," Kitty offered.

"Have ya *not* seen how she looks at the man?" Jubilee interjected rather loudly. "I guess the dope just needs a clearer signal. Ya know ... wave him in with some of those air traffic control wand thingies ... big flashing lights."

"And you're one to talk about making things clear, Miss Kitty," Rogue added in a suspiciously drawn voice. They lost their train of thought when Kitty was hit with a case of the giggles.

Regaining composure, Jubilee continued. "Yeah! Whaddya call that thing you and Bobby do all day long? Dancing around each other - you're like love-sick puppies! You two should just hump in the hallway and get it over with!"

The girls broke into another fit of laughter, but a point was made for Rogue. She didn't want to do some silly, love-sick dance around Logan. She didn't want to just tempt him for one night and that's it; she wanted him to notice her and make a move. Giving up just wasn’t in her vocabulary, nor was wallowing in self pity. Hell, she’d been the untouchable girl before and managed, Logan couldn’t be *that* much of challenge. Maybe she wasn't making her interest clear enough.

They'd been friends for years now and it seemed nothing would ever change if she just left it up to him. She felt certain that all the feelings weren’t just one sided.
A basic feminine knowledge that was almost instinctual told her that there was something undeniable between them, simmering just beneath the surface, but Logan was fighting it. It was going to be up to her to bring it to a rolling boil.

The champagne tickled Rogue's nose as she continued to sip. Its effervescence made her feel giddy and self assured. She would just march right up to him and lay it on the line. The worse that could happen would be rejection, but then at least she'd know how he felt. An answer would be clear cut either way. At least he wouldn't be able to ignore her anymore. Dressed classy and feminine for her birthday night, there was no way he could ignore how she looked. She'd make him take notice, flirt so flamboyantly there'd be no way to misinterpret it, and then make the first big move. She usually leaned more towards coy, but tonight wasn't the time for coyness. Tonight, she was going to be bold.

"Oh goodie," Kitty interrupted her thoughts once again. "More champagne!"

******

Carefully picking her way around the mansion, Rogue simply followed her nose. Attuned to that familiar scent of cigar, she made her way to the veranda. Logan stood near the concrete railing on the end, the ember on his cigar glowing bright then going dark as he inhaled and exhaled. Rogue fancied it a beacon, leading her to right where she wanted to be.

Just don't stumble or fall down, she thought, giggling to herself as she made her way up the stairs and across the veranda. The champagne made her feet feel a bit wobbly, but much more importantly, it was feeding her courage. The night air was cool, but Rogue felt on fire with the knowledge of what she was going to do. She sauntered past Logan and hoisted herself up on the ledge, leaning back and crossing her bare legs provocatively.

"How's it goin'?" she asked in a breezy voice.

Logan's eyebrow shot up at her behavior.

"It's goin' alright. How's it goin' for you, darlin'?" he returned her flirtation.

She took a deep breath in and exhaled slowly, encouraged by his response. "Oh I'm good," she said. “You done hiding from me yet?”

He shifted his weight from one foot to the other. “I haven’t been hiding from you.”

“Sure … sure,” Rogue slid off her perch and moved into him.

"Do I look any different to you today, Logan?" she gazed up at him. She hoped so, and she hoped it would spark his memory about her birthday.

His stance turned rigid, but he couldn't ignore the heat that was radiating off of her. "Yeah. You're all dressed up - looks nice on you." She looked like a fucking vision, he thought to himself. This was exactly the reason he’d been avoiding situations like this. "And you've ... had a lot to drink."

Rogue put her hands just inside his jacket. "You think I look nice?" she asked, sounding surprised but feeling like the cat that just ate the cream.

"I think- I think it's time you went to bed, Rogue," he answered slowly, keeping his hands to himself.

"Mmmm, good idea," she purred and nuzzled into him until their bodies were brushing together. "You wanna tuck me in? Then you might get to see the underwear I bought a couple of weeks ago, black lace with a red bow in the back ..."

Logan cleared his throat. "Yeah, I know- I'm sure they look great on you."

“You think? I wasn’t sure you thought about things like that. About me like that. ”

Her heart was a thumping fist against her ribcage and even she was shocked at the words coming out of her mouth, but she was feeling bold and uninhibited. If she had to use sheer force of will to move those boundaries, then so be it.

"Marie...what are you doin’? You're drunk..."

"Don't 'Marie' me, Logan."

His body felt like unyielding steel against hers, but it was warm, and he couldn't hide his reaction to their closeness.

"You don't have any idea what you're doing. I'm trying to do the right thing here," he said, almost pleading, but his hand moved to rest on her hip. This was Marie, he reminded himself. The girl he’d tried to save and protect and was still trying to save and protect. She wasn’t a seventeen year old kid anymore, but she was still young; too young and too innocent, at least in Logan’s mind. She would always represent everything that was good and untainted by this world. As much as he could, he’d tried to keep her that way, unharmed from the likes of people like him. But what was he supposed to do when the thing he wanted to protect was the same thing he wanted to possess?

"I know exactly what I'm doing," she moved closer until their bodies were pressed together and she could feel him react.

"You've had too much to drink and it's got you thinkin' this is a good idea..."

"Shut up, Logan," she murmured and brushed her lips against the corner of his mouth. Her tongue slid gently across his lips and he tasted smoky and sweet.

Abruptly, his hands grabbed her head, tilting her face up to look at him. Logan was trying to read her, make sense out of what she was doing. Doe brown eyes, glazed with want, looked back at him. He wanted too and it was so hard to fight it when she was craving the same thing.

Rogue saw his hunger and the struggle in his eyes. He wanted to kiss her, but some part of him was holding him back. She watched him fight it just before she pressed her mouth against his.

His mouth was warm and smooth at first, but hard. It softened, and he didn't have to force his way in because she opened so willingly, wanting to taste him, wanting him to taste her. The kiss was gentle, she thought, his tongue like velvet. She thought about that tongue traveling her body and whimpered into his mouth. The kiss grew rougher then as his body pushed against hers. He was trying to dominate her mouth. Her skin was being rubbed raw by his coarse stubble and the hands on her head moved back into her hair and fisted tightly, almost painfully. It all felt absolutely amazing. She loved that she could make him lose control, wanted him to. He needed to lose control or he'd never cross over all those self made boundaries.

While he kissed her, it felt like she was soaring and Rogue tried to inhale a cry, but it escaped. Logan pulled back to see her wide eyed and gazing up at him with an unreadable expression. He could sense their arousal all around them and her look was so trusting and accepting.

Pink abrasions marked her flawless skin from his rough kiss and her lips were swollen and wet. Her hair was a mess and his hands were still buried in those silky strands. She looked like she was being ravished ... and he was the one doing the ravishing. Her appearance only made him want to take more, take it all. A small part of him thought maybe she should suffer too, for all the turmoil inside him. With his tongue in her mouth, he’d thought about giving in just to end the struggle. He’d take as much as he could until she was trembling and submissive in his arms — but it was too much. She’d try to give him what he wanted and Logan knew it wouldn’t end there.

He released her and stepped away.

"Go to bed, Rogue," he forced out.

She looked at him, stunned. Slowly she started shaking her head. "Oh. So now it's Rogue?"

The air around her was changing from aroused to upset. Logan could smell the hurt and anger on her. He stood there, watching her, knowing there was nothing he could say to defend his actions.

"You kissed me! You can't act like it didn't happen...it *just* happened!"

"I didn't mean for it to happen," he said calmly.

Rogue let out a low growl that she had to have picked up from him. "Damn you, Logan! What the hell is your problem? Do you like the way you are, because it's infuriating! How am I supposed to..." her voice trailed off, only to pick up again.

"Today was my birthday, asshole! Thanks for remembering," she yelled before stomping inside the mansion.
Chapter 10 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
Her room was tilting because of the champagne, but it was fury that was clouding her vision. Rogue wanted to hit something. Hard. Maybe punch a hole through the wall. Instead she teetered dangerously on one leg and threw each shoe, one at the time, at the wall.
The door slammed hard as Rogue entered her darkened bedroom.

"Stupid. Arrogant. Stubborn bastard!" she yelled. She was hurt, but she wasn't sad. She was irate! Her room was tilting because of the champagne, but it was fury that was clouding her vision. Rogue wanted to hit something. Hard. Maybe punch a hole through the wall. Instead she teetered dangerously on one leg and threw each shoe, one at the time, at the wall.

"Who the fuck does he think he is?" she argued with the wall. "How can he…act like that?!! God - I am such an idiot! I oughta go down there right now and beat the shit out of him!"

Rogue unzipped the skirt and threw it in the general direction of her closet. Pacing the room, she felt the need to go down there and give him a lesson on the difference between her and other women; about his idiotic behavior. She would not be treated this way. Screw him! That she was even wearing her fancy black and red ribbon panties that she'd worn once before to flaunt her stuff in front of him - what a fucking waste of time and money!

"That asshole can't even remember my birthday!" she growled at the wall. He’d never forgotten a thing like that before. What the hell was the matter with him? The room was starting to tilt further. Exhausted, she fell back across her bed and brought a pillow over her face with a groan. She wasn't going to cry, she was too angry for tears.

"You needin' a punching bag, angel?" a low voice asked from her door.

Rogue rumbled a growl from underneath her pillow. Perfect, she thought. The hits just kept on coming.

"Creed," she bit off, sitting up, "I do not need your shit right now. Get the fuck out!"

Never one to listen to direction, he closed the door behind him and moved towards her bed. "You left it unlocked. Thought you wanted company."

Feeling the blood coursing through her veins and aching to take her frustration out on someone, Rogue shot up and shoved him with every ounce of strength she had. Victor stumbled back, losing his balance.

"Do not start with me!" she warned.

From across the room, he let out a warm chuckle.

"Didn't know you had that much brawn in ya, little girl. You oughta get pissed off more often. So tell me...who's the bastard that's turned you into such a hellion, huh?"

"You just don't ever listen, do ya?" she spat at him. As he moved closer she lashed out, knocking him back again but this time following him and landing fists against his chest.

"That's right angel, let it all out. I promise I can take it." Victor was eyeing her now; appreciating her lack of proper clothing, but still managing to provoke her wrath.

"Stop it! Stop talking!" she yelled, wanting to kick and hit and scream.

"It was your runt, wasn't it? What - did lover boy piss you off? Reject you? Hurt your feelings? You wanna hurt him back? Or you just wanna hurt me? Come on, angel - hurt me...I won't tell." As he spoke his voice grew softer, taunting, and as he moved in, she reflexively backed up.

"He didn't reject me," she answered, wincing at how pitiful it sounded.

"Really? Then why are you here and not with him? Maybe you just don't do it for him," Victor countered.

"It's not like that! And I most certainly do it for him! He can't hide..." she broke off.

"You're right. I'm sure you do it for him. A man would have to be blind...and you certainly do it for me," he rumbled. "I mean you walkin' around, dressed like that - he'd have to be a eunuch not to notice you. You've got a perfect ass ...and in those panties..."

Rogue lashed out again. "Stop patronizing me!"

She knew what she looked like right now. The black lace screamed 'Come get me!’ and her morals and good behavior had checked out for the night. Let him get an eye full, she thought angrily. Before she could blink, two hands wrapped like vice grips around her wrists, jerking her forward.

"Does it feel like I'm patronizing you?" he hissed, and moved his grip to her hips, pulling her snugly against his body. "Does *this* feel like I'm patronizing you? Tell me angel, is this what he felt like? Long and hard and pushed up against you...is that how you knew you were doin' it for him?"

Rogue swallowed hard, slightly frightened by her precarious situation, but thrilled at his response and the power she could evidently yield. Her body was still a bundle of jagged edged nerves from the contact with Logan, and Victor's body brought all those nerves into razor sharp focus. His hands felt huge and bone crushingly strong as they gripped her hips then moved to her back, his fingers toying with the red bow. Rogue moved to push his hands off of her, but the action felt weak even to her. He grinned at her and slid his hands further down to smooth her bare ass.

He leaned in and whispered, "See what you can do to a man? Walkin' around like that ... makes me crazy. Don't make me stop. I told you I wouldn’t hurt you...I can make it all better."

Victor's voice was low and raspy and tickled inside Rogue's ear. It slithered across her skin and made her whole body tighten in a heavy, sweet way. He slid a massive thigh between her legs before pulling her up higher. She noticed her feet had left the floor only seconds before landing on her bed. Victor loomed over her, his black eyes traveling from her face, to the scooped neck of her top, and down her legs. It was the same look that Logan had in his eyes just before they kissed. Those eyes were hungry, those eyes wanted to devour. As Victor buried his face into her hair, nuzzling her neck, one of his huge hands traveled up her thigh.

"I'm gonna touch you, Rogue. Don't tell me to stop."

She knew she should, part of her wanted him to stop. This was Victor Creed. This wasn't Logan. But her body was aching for it, and he would deliver if his words were any indication. His weight was almost smothering and his breath was an inferno against her neck. Instinctively, her hips moved towards his hand. Strong fingers brushed against her panties, teasing her, rubbing lazy circles all around, everywhere but where she needed it. Closing her eyes and biting her lip, she refused to make a noise, not a sound. The pressure increased and that hand dipped down inside her underwear, fingers lingering and searching for what would drive her wild.

"Mmmm, angel, you're trying to be the silent type, but your body is begging for it," he said as his tongue made a light trail against her neck.

He slid his fingers around and found the bundle of nerves that made her whole body tense up. He manipulated her clit until her hips bucked against his hand in a silent plea for more. Slowly at first then increasing the rhythm and as the friction grew, Rogue felt the electric sensation start at the base of her spine. When sharp teeth nipped at the tendon between her neck and shoulder, an explosion rocked through her body as she finally opened her mouth.

"Oh...," she let out a gasp and opened her eyes.

Twin black eyes stared back and long, blonde hair brushed against her cheek. Rogue blinked and inhaled deeply, moving against his hand and feeling sensations that weren't quite dormant.

"One time not enough for you? My little vixen...I'll be happy to oblige since it's your birthday and all."

Her eyes widened this time, reality crashing down all around her. She pressed the heels of her hands against his chest.

"Get off! Let me up!" she said in a panic.

Victor stood up casually. "Easy, you don't wanna hurt yourself."

Rogue looked down, shaken by her provocative appearance. More than anything, she couldn't ignore the feeling throughout her body...and who was standing in her bedroom.

She sat up quickly and tried to cover herself.

"Get out," she said quietly.

"That's it?" he said on a laugh. "That's the thanks I get? I feel so used."

"Get out," she repeated, choking on it.

"Hey!" he said sharply, grabbing her chin. He leaned down, meeting her at eye level. "There is nothin' you need to feel bad about; nothing about you to be ashamed of. You can save that fucking regret for something that don't feel..." he inhaled slow and deep, "so damn good."

Rogue held her breath as she watched him leave.

***************

She sat at a table underneath one of the huge oaks on Xavier's property. There were a few kids milling about, but for the most part everyone was indoors. It was a semi-isolation she was grateful for; there was no way she could face anyone right now. Rogue leaned her elbows on the table edge and wrapped her arms around each other. If she sat too still, she could feel the imprint of his hands on her. Creed's breath still felt hot against her neck and he was no where in sight. The heat was a guilt that spread across her skin, making her feel dirty and traitorous. How could she have let him do that? Something was definitely wrong with her. Of course she'd felt hurt, and yes, rejected and part of her did want to lash out at Logan, but not like that!

What had she been thinking last night? What possessed her to throw herself at Logan and then...then...she couldn't even think about it. Temporary insanity, that's what it'd been, and Logan was partially to blame. That's right; it was his fault for leaving her vulnerable, for knocking her down so many notches. Damn him! Damn Creed too! Maybe she could just skulk away in the middle of the night and go on an extended vacation to somewhere far, far away. Yeah, that sounded ideal right about now.

Rogue propped her head against her hand, studying the wood grain of the picnic table. Somewhere warm would be nice, she thought, somewhere warm and isolated and a long way from Xavier’s. She hadn't been anywhere truly warm and tropical since she learned to manage her mutation. Now she could go and actually wear a bathing suit; sun bathe and play in the ocean, maybe drink one of those fruity drinks with the umbrellas in them, a pina colada or a daiquiri, or both. Jubilee might take some time off and go with her. That would be perfect! She could run aw-, correction, take a break and by the time she came back maybe everything would be okay again. The full blown day dream of a tropical vacation took over her thoughts for awhile, but the truth was - it would still be running away.

With a sigh she switched her head to the other hand. Who was she trying to fool? She couldn't leave, not now. Right now she had responsibilities and a squad to lead - and her pride wouldn't let her tuck tail and run from either Logan or Victor. No, she'd face her issues like a big girl...eventually. For now though, she wanted to hide.

Something moved, coming in from the corner of her vision. It was a narrow black box. Startled, Rogue looked up into Logan's face. He looked about as guilty as she felt - and that was saying a lot because she felt pretty damn guilty.

"Hey," he said quietly.

"Hey."

"I didn't forget your birthday," he said quickly. "I just didn't...remember it in time."

That must be some kind of man logic; she thought and glanced back down at the box.

"This is a birthday gift?"

He leaned his weight against the table, staring down at her. "Yeah."

Rogue noticed the shiny black box was tied with red ribbon and was suddenly thankful for the protective shield her hair provided as she looked down. Was it wrapped that way on purpose or...? Her color deepened, dear God she'd thrown herself at him last night. And he'd politely told her no, after giving her the best kiss of her life of course. Then she'd yelled at him and proceeded to let Victor... Could she crawl in a hole and die now?

"Logan," her voice came out a croak so she cleared her throat and tried again. "I'm...I'm sorry about...about how I acted last night."

She held up a hand when he tried to interrupt her. "I shouldn't have done that and...I shouldn't have yelled at you...and I...shouldn't have done a lot of things, but...I wasn't thinking. Could we...I just wanna forget last night ever happened," she said, thoroughly embarrassed.

Logan looked at her, silent long enough to draw her attention, but then he nodded.

"Yeah," he said, sliding in across from her. "I figured that's how you'd feel af-," he stopped. "Anyway, yeah...and I'm sorry too. I should've...remembered your birthday...sooner."

Picking up the box, Rogue tilted it back and forth. Her face still felt beet red and she knew the subject needed changing. Quick.

"So can I open it?"

He got out half a nod before she was pulling on the ribbon and opening it to find a delicate silver necklace, strung with a small pearl pendant.

"Logan," she sighed in shock, all ill will and regret temporarily evaporated. "Wha ... how ... but ... it's - it's beautiful," she beamed.

He just smirked in agreement.

"But why? How did...I mean...you didn't have to...I'm just gonna say thank you now," she stammered.

That earned her a wry chuckle.

"Ah you deserve more than that, but, I don't know - I wanted to get you something nice and it made me think of you."

"It's too much," she said but inside she was in heaven.

"Rogue," he said, suddenly serious, "I know I’ve acted like an asshole lately. Plus, I've known you longer than I've known anyone around here or anyone...ever, for what I can remember. If I want to buy you a necklace for your birthday, believe me, it's not too much."

She smiled at him then. He was right; it wasn't too much...but then she thought about last night - and what had happened. Fresh guilt flooded her like a tidal wave.

Logan noticed the darkness that passed over her face.

"What's wrong?"

Shaking her head, she painted on a smile again. "Nothing. Nothing at all," she lied.

Logan thought about how he’d dodged her since the night they almost kissed. Avoidance hadn’t helped matters in the least, and now that they had kissed, he knew avoidance wasn’t the answer. She obviously had regrets and he was properly guilty, but the best thing now would be to try and return to normal as soon as possible. The last thing he wanted was to lose her completely.

"So, look - how 'bout you let me take you out for some birthday dinner. Or are you hanging out here tonight for cafeteria food?"

Meals at Xavier's were far flung from anything resembling cafeteria food, but Logan was offering to take her out. She could be with him and away from the mansion.

"I think I'll let you take me to dinner."
Chapter 11 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
She didn't want to read too much into it. As a matter of fact, she wasn't going to allow her self to read anything into it. They were getting back to their old selves and for now, she'd just be happy with that and try to forget past ... events.
Rogue seemed a bit - preoccupied - and it was starting to piss him off. She was talkative enough but not relaxed like she normally was with him. He'd taken her to his favorite steak place, but it was by no means stiff and fancy. It was just a steak joint; they had great food and it was a lot less rowdy than his usual haunts, but she was acting...formal. That was it, formal, like every word or action was being very carefully considered. Logan didn't like it one bit.

At times she even looked damned guilty, and her usual playful, flirtatious demeanor was in absence. Even though he knew it was because of what happened between them, he couldn't very well verbalize it. She regretted her hasty actions, just as he knew she would; that's why he'd told her to go to bed. He shouldn't have let it go as far as it did. She'd been drinking and hurt over him being a forgetful prick - so he should have been the reasonable one. He should've been more level headed - but Logan was no good at level headed, especially not with Rogue rubbing up against him. How was a man supposed to think straight under those circumstances? So, it had happened, she wanted to forget it, but no way was he going to let it damage what they had.

"So - you gonna tell me what's bothering you?" he asked, hoping it would make her relax, even if they had to tip toe around the touchy topic.

Rogue sighed and glanced up at him, but only spoke once she was looking past his shoulder.

"You ever do something you wish you could erase? Just go back in time and wipe it clean, but you know you can't and it's always gonna be there, like this big, black ... thing ... that's just there, reminding you of what you did?"

"Hey, I said we could forget it. There's no need to go beating yourself up over it," Logan said, sounding a little perturbed.

She looked at him confused, but then it registered.

"No. No I wasn't referring to ... that. I mean ... I wasn’t talking about what we… I was talking about something else. You know, regret."

Logan nodded but didn't believe her. "Uh, yeah. I think regret is something I can totally understand," he sad with a touch of sarcasm. "But kid, you don't need regret. Just - just let it go, whatever it is. It can't be that bad. What's done is done and you're too young to be carrying any heavy regret around all the time anyway."

Rogue fiddled with her napkin, thinking, then nodded to herself. "You know, you're right. I can't change anything now - so be it. I can't go back and fix it, but I can start fresh from here, right?"

"But Logan," she said, making eye contact, "I wouldn't ever want to hurt you, not really, and I just ... I just want you to know that."

His brow creased in a deep wrinkle. "Okay, stop apologizing. What have you got to be sorry for?"

"I don't know," she said with a shrug, lowering her face. "Just felt like I needed to say it."

"Okay, you've said it. We're both sorry - sorry sacks of shit - so can we relax now and enjoy the steaks and at least act like this is some kinda birthday dinner?" he teased.

********

The rest of the meal went perfectly, Rogue thought. They chatted comfortably for the first time in a long while, and when Logan left the table for the bathroom, she couldn't help but lightly finger the pendant around her neck. She didn't want to read too much into it. As a matter of fact, she wasn't going to allow herself to read anything into it. Rogue also refused to think about the small abrasion that lay hidden underneath her blouse. Creed had left a mark. It was easily hidden and therefore, she wouldn’t acknowledge it. She and Logan were finally getting back to their old selves and for now, she'd just be happy with that and try to forget past ... events.

Everything was actually feeling close to normal. Rogue even toyed with the idea of taking a break from pushing any boundaries and accepting things as they were. Even if she didn't really want it, maybe letting things return to normal for awhile would be for the best.

It was a moment in the parking lot that changed her mind. Looking back, she might wonder how something so small would influence her decision so, but at that point in time it was very significant …

Logan opened the truck door for her.

He had never, not in all the years they'd hung out together, opened a car door, a truck door, not even a house door for her. Logan didn't open doors for anyone. But it wasn't just that he did it; it was how he did it.

Rogue chastised herself for being such a girl, but grinned giddily as he circled around to the other side of his truck.

He'd waited until she was in the seat, even checking to make sure she was completely situated and buckled in, before he served her up one of his rare smiles that could melt snow. He never smiled like that at anyone else! Plus, Logan couldn't be upset with her if he shared a smile like that. A smile like that would forgive her anything, including her poor judgment.

She tried to douse the feelings of false hope and her reoccurring case of the 'what ifs', but to no avail. By the time they reached the mansion, she'd let her mind wander into a full blown fantasy where Logan saw this as a real date-date and she was the most desirable thing he'd ever laid eyes on.

Reaching the back steps of the garage entrance, he turned to her and Rogue caught a rushing high like this was going to be some kind of post date, walk to the door kiss. It was silly, she knew; there was no way she'd play the bold flirt tonight. She'd keep her hands and her lips safely to herself. That's when he reached for her.

He put his arms around her, but it could be called completely platonic. It was like their traditional welcome home embrace, but with her head resting against his shoulder and her arms around his lower back. How could he not feel the way she felt whenever they were close like this? Life was so unfair.

"I don't want you to feel bad about yourself over what happened," he said near her ear. "It's not you at all, it's -," he stopped. "I'm not gonna give that speech ... but I just want you to know you're ... exceptional. Don't forget it. No matter what you may regret, don't ever think you deserve less than everything."

*He* was talking in riddles while *she* was about to spontaneously combust, Rogue thought. But when he pulled back to look her in the face, she got to glimpse what few people ever saw. The real Logan, with no masking snarls, scowls, or arrogant eyebrows; and he leaned down and brushed a light kiss against her temple. For a few seconds, neither one of them moved. He didn't remove his hands from around her, and Rogue wasn't about to move. That's when the mask came crashing back into place. As soon as the situation nudged past their shaky line, he squelched it. But for tonight, it was all she needed.

*********

Kicking some bad guy ass was exactly what she needed right now. Her life had been on a relatively even keel for a good 24 hours, but the anxiety of when it might begin to shake like the San Andreas had her keyed up beyond belief. Nervous energy. It made her fidgety, and she was a pill to be around when she got fidgety. Who knew when Creed might pop out from behind a corner? Who knew if the man might take it upon himself to tell Logan about their little … run-in? She and Logan had kind of made up, in that way that non-romantically involved friends do, but something told her it wouldn’t last if he knew the whole truth.

Thinking about it, worrying about it, it was enough to drive a girl nuts, so she’d bribed Jubilee and Peter into running through a Danger Room session with her. If she could only work out the pent up energy, she’d be fine.

She noticed the showers running when she entered the locker room, but didn’t understand why Jubes would be washing up before a work out. The girl had some wild notions though, so there ought to be an interesting reason. Rogue rounded the row of lockers with a smart ass comment on the tip of her tongue.

She had never really been frozen before. Even in all the years of dating Bobby Drake and going on countless missions with him, she’d never actually been frozen in place. When she popped into the shower room, she realized what it must feel like. But it wasn’t Bobby’s mutation that was causing it, and it sure as hell wasn’t Jubilee in the showers.

There was water and naked man flesh - everywhere! She couldn’t move. And she really and truly tried, but her feet were not cooperating. It even took a moment to process exactly what she was seeing. Right in front of her stood not only Logan, but Victor was at a shower along the far wall and her freaking boss, Scott Summers, was by the wall closest to her.

And they were all just ... so ... naked. There was bulky muscle and lean muscle, massive arms and sinewy backs. Rogue wasn't sure if she was blushing or if she'd gone completely pale; she had no motor functions, had apparently lost the ability of speech, and she couldn't even close her eyes. All she was able to do was stare. A lot. It wasn't everyday that a girl stumbled across three naked and fit men taking a shower. She'd fantasized about it - maybe not about her boss, although now she had to admit he was more than easy on the eyes - but standing there she wanted to disappear off the face of the earth. Yet, at the same time run her hands over some of that wet, muscled flesh. Oh god, she thought, what the hell was she thinking?!

Rogue finally regained the ability to move and shifted to get away from Scott, Logan, and Victor before any of them noticed her presence.

"What's the matter darlin', the view too much for you?"

Logan had seen her first. Of course. She should've known; trying to hide from guys with hyper senses wasn't easy no matter how quiet she was. But was he actually being coy about this? She set her features to what she hoped was the epitome of calm then turned slowly to face him, trying her damndest to keep her eyes above chest level.

"Rogue!" Scott admonished rather loudly grabbing for his towel.

Victor chuckled. He eyed her shamelessly and cupped himself. "Is it too much to handle angel? 'Cause if it's the other way round then you should stick around -"

Logan shot Victor an infuriated glare. "Shut the fuck up Goldilocks or this soap is gettin' shoved down your throat!"

"Sure thing," Victor said on a laugh and moved his hands, "but only 'cause I'd rather wake up tomorrow with the taste of something else in my mouth," he added and arched an eyebrow at Rogue.

"That's it!" Logan growled and looked as though he was going to toss Victor through the tile wall.

Rogue opened her mouth to speak then closed it again. She should really just close her eyes and back out of there.

"Enough!" Scott yelled and sighed angrily. He turned off his shower, made sure his towel was secure, then stalked over to Rogue, gently grabbing her by the arm.

"Rogue, what are you doing in here?" he said sharply.

She bit her lower lip. "I was looking for Jubes ... and this ... this is the women's side ... and ..."

"Yes, but the other side is out of order. We had to clean up after a short mission and there was a sign posted - so perhaps you could wait outside?" He sounded like such a diplomatic leader, and at the same time it also didn't sound like he believed a word she said. But Scott wasn't the type of guy that would try and drag it out of her Logan-style or embarrass and intimidate her like Victor would.

He was, however, expecting her to notice signs and form coherent sentences when all she could do was notice his upper body. She'd never paid attention, but it was nice. Not really her speed anymore, but admirable nonetheless. Unlike Logan and Victor, Scott was lean, with the body of a professional swimmer - a nice tan, firm muscles, a clean smooth chest and his hips were - no, wait. What the hell was she doing? Apparently her hormones were in overdrive and they had already caused her enough problems.

"Rogue! Are you listening to what I'm saying?" Scott said impatiently.

"Huh?" was all she managed.

"I asked you a que-"

"Hey ... you have to wear your glasses in the shower," she noticed absently.

Scott frowned. "Well yeah ... of course I do. The Professor wouldn't like it if I accidentally blasted a hole in the roof, right?"

"Well it's just that ... you know ... I guess I never really thought about you ... uh, it."

"Okay ... so anything else you want to know?"

Logan was suddenly there, a towel wrapped around his waist. He pushed Scott aside.

"No there isn't Scooter, we already know the name of your favorite beauty salon and that you wax your chest and armpits," he mocked.

Victor sauntered over to them wearing nothing but a smug look. He was enjoying himself royally, and if he and Logan had one thing in common it was their lack of respect towards Scott. They both loved to get him all riled up, but this time Rogue had a feeling it was something more.

"For once I agree with you Wolverine. A baby smooth chest like that can't be healthy," Victor said, sounding amused then turned to Rogue, "Isn't that right angel?"

Rogue backed up a step and found herself somehow trapped between three -more naked than not- men and the concrete wall behind her. She swallowed and fought not to let her eyes wander, because that would be wrong. Really ... wrong.

“That is entirely inappropriate and you know it," Scott reprimanded with a slight nod towards Creed’s nudity. "Do something about it.”

When he didn't move to do a thing about it, Logan added, “Cover it up asshole or lose it.”

Victor still didn't bother fetching a towel; he just covered himself with his hands.

"Better runt?" he said, sounding amused then inhaled slowly through his nose. "Something tells me our squad leader doesn't mind ... all this 'inappropriate nakedness'. I'm right, aren't I 'Roguey'?"

Logan couldn't hide his reaction fast enough - Rogue had seen it flash across his face - right before he became combative again. He'd sensed it too. Oh god, they both knew! Of course they'd recognize her body’s reaction to them being completely naked. Now she really wanted to disappear off the face of the earth. It wasn't just a thought anymore; she wanted to vanish! She was blushing and her heart was racing - it was absolute madness and now she'd be haunted with even more images of them! Naked images - not much imagination required anymore - of arrogant and taunting Logan and Victor; the kind of images that fueled fantasies ... as if she needed more incentive.

Scott sighed loudly and shot Victor and Logan an annoyed glare. Visor or not, it was obvious to Rogue that he was glaring at her team mates.

"What is the matter with the two of you? You're both acting like children, and I'm beginning to think a little discipline would be in order - probably overdue - because this immature behavior has got to stop. This is completely inappropriate and I won't allow it to continue."

Okay maybe it was time to intervene, Rogue thought. She could see where this was leading, and Scott had no idea what he was getting himself into. Not that she was sure how much Logan and Victor knew about each others' ... involvement with her. Either way, Scott didn't need to wander into the middle of it.

“I’m … uhm … I,” Rogue began to stutter. “Uh, Logan? Can I talk to you for a second?” she asked, at a loss for anything else to say. She walked towards the other side of the lockers, needing to get out of her current situation, but maybe not completely out of it.

Logan followed her around to the other side.

“You should probably pay more attention to signs next time, huh?” he teased.

“Yeah. Uhm …, she tried. “I wanted to … uh … ask you … something.” Rogue was trying to find a topic or a question that might come across as at least semi-reasonable, but her mind was only repeating two words. Naked. Logan. Naked Logan.

“You’re stalling, darlin’,” he smiled.

Smug bastard. He knew she was at a total loss.

“Right. Well, I really thought Jubilee was in here, but … uh … since you’re here ... and … um. I’ve - uh, been meaning to tell you …” Think Rogue, she demanded of herself. “I had a really nice time the other night at dinner,” she finally finished breathlessly.

“Me too.” He casually crossed his arms and Rogue spotted a trickle of water as it dropped from his hair and made a line down his shoulder. She was pretty sure that Logan was continuing to talk about how he too had enjoyed their dinner, but the belligerent little trickle of water was now making its descent. Down across his chest, and into that little dent between his pecs, and as if consorting with the trickle, Logan uncrossed his arms so it could continue its merry way down his abdomen. Slowly, slowly, trickle, trickle until it reached the dark line of hair that dipped underneath his towel. Oh man, she thought. The towel.

All she could think about was him dropping that towel and pushing her up against the lockers. He’d still be all warm and wet from the shower and his hair probably smelled clean and would feel slick in her hands. Unconsciously, Rogue wet her lips. Was it wrong to want to catch that trickle with her tongue?

Logan cleared his throat, loudly.

“Okay, well — you should go. I better get … uh, changed,” he said as he moved away, suddenly anxious for her to leave.

“What?” she asked, her brain still a little fuzzy. “Oh, right.” Rogue began to laugh nervously. “Okay … then … right. Later.”

******

Logan threw on his jacket with a foul oath. The girl had *no* idea what she was doing! How was he supposed to just stand there, his senses full of her, and be a good man? It had started out harmless enough; he couldn’t resist testing her reaction or feeling a bit of smug satisfaction about it. But then he saw the want written all over her face, and if that weren't enough, his head was full of her erotic scent. God she wanted it and it felt so good, but it couldn't. He’d lied to himself. Told himself that he couldn’t be with her because he was a one night stand kind of man and she deserved better. Maybe he’d even believed the lie for awhile, but that wasn’t even the half of it.

It could never happen, not even one time, because that wouldn't be enough, ever. But what would be enough? To what end? Anybody else! Any other woman! Any other fucking circumstance in the entire goddamn world and he would have fucked her by now and been over and done with her and probably split town like hell was at his heels - but not with Rogue! Logan had fantasized about crossing that line, the animal finally taking what he wanted. The few times he let the fantasy run free, he’d felt the Wolverine explode into a greed filled rage. Not simple lust like he might feel for any woman he was attracted to, this was something his feral side felt only for her. She sang to it. It wasn’t the generous and warm, fuzzy feeling of love either. It was covetous and possessive, and Logan knew if that line was crossed, the animal would turn desperate, unwilling to yield to anything but absolute dominion over her. How could he control it if that happened? How could he reign in something that primal?

It wasn't bad enough what he felt, but now Rogue was feeding it and she had no idea what she was encouraging. Her birthday had been a nice reprieve, but she’d become bolder of late, pushing their very shaky boundary. She probably had notions of lust and love and happiness, but all he'd ever been good for was quick and painless because it kept things simple. There would be *nothing* quick, painless, or simple about them if he let it go too far. The man in him did care about her. Logan didn’t explore it enough to call it love, but she mattered more than anyone; enough to need protection because he wouldn’t let that side of him rule the both of them. He knew what it would lead to and she’d be hurt, destroyed. He’d destroy anyone that ever hurt her so he would not be guilty of it himself. Surely he had enough self control for that.

Damn it, he thought. It would be easier if he could shut her out completely, but he couldn’t. Still - delicate balancing acts? Not his fucking forte! If he could just forget that look on her face, just forget the way she smelled; forget how she'd tasted when they’d kissed; forget how she felt. The animal needed a release. He had to forget - because that was one line that he was not crossing!
Chapter 12 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
She felt like she was caught in some kind of emotional tug of war combined with a twisted, seductive game of hide and seek.
Why hadn't she put an end to it when she first found out? It was too much of a temptation for her, knowing that they were still out there, in that cage. Following them back to a match was bad. Bad, bad, so very bad, and she knew it. It was wrong; Logan and Victor were still cage fighting each other behind everyone’s back - and she wasn't doing a damn thing to stop it. Someone should put an end to it and that someone should be her. After all, she was the squad leader and was supposed to have better control over them. Hell, she could barely control herself!

Rogue had promised herself she'd forget all about this place and turn over a new leaf. A leaf that didn't include shady fight bars or toying with the dangerous lines between her and her two alpha teammates. The thing was, she just couldn’t shake the image of Logan in the shower room or the many images grappling and growling in her head; and when she’d heard bikes leaving the mansion, she knew exactly what was going on.

She couldn't stop herself; couldn't help sneaking into that dingy bar out in the middle of nowhere to watch them endanger themselves. There was no use resisting the call that lured her out there. It was like a drug. She hated it, but like any junkie she had to get her fix. It would be embarrassing as hell if anyone, ANYONE, found out that not only did she know about the fights, but that she was actually sneaking into them undercover; If anyone had an inkling of why she couldn't stop herself, what the mere idea of it did to her...the thought alone made her cheeks burn.

Victor had hinted that he knew what the fights did to her, but with him you never knew how much of what he was saying was truth and how much was the stupidbullshit he made up. He tended to bend the truth in whichever way suited him. Then there was his unnerving tendency to pick up on every little change and detail in her behavior; what went through her mind, what she fought so hard to hide from him and Logan...even from herself.

After being cornered in the locker room, it had been pretty clear that they *both* knew exactly how affected she was. The thought suddenly made her stomach drop. Logan probably sensed her reaction every time he got close to her, every time he was around her. Rogue wasn't sure which was worse; Victor tormenting her with his questions and hints and enjoying it - or Logan keeping it to himself, but knowing it all the same. She felt like she was caught in some kind of emotional tug of war combined with a twisted, seductive game of hide and seek.

End of the Road was already packed when she came in the side entrance. Crowded mostly with men that had come to watch the fights, the area near the bar was elbow to elbow as people were trying to get a last minute drink. Rogue checked her outfit; afraid that even a tiny strand of brown and white hair showing would instantly blow her cover. Everything seemed fine and the large coat nearly swallowed her whole. She could've been anyone in that outfit.

Nudging her way through the crowd, Rogue tried to find a safe spot near the bar before the fights started. A high pitched, twittering laugh rose above the din as she recognized the sound of women that were pouring it on just a little too thick. Shrill and fake, the giggling continued, making her roll her eyes as she was bumped and jostled through the throngs of people. It was only when she heard a familiar, dry laugh that she paid attention. Even from this distance, she recognized that rare sound. Standing on tip toes and trying to see over the massive crowd, back to the far end of the bar, she spotted him.

There sat Logan in all his glory, basking in the female attentions of fight groupies. This wasn't something that should surprise her; this wasn't even something that should piss her off. Everyone knew Logan had ‘admirers’, but the reality was he wasn't just basking. Basking alone may have only irritated her, but he was reciprocating...fully. While a couple of other floozies flirted about, he had one particular groupie so obviously on his radar that it was painful to watch. She couldn't have come up to his chin, but since he was sitting they were almost at eye level, the brunette planted firmly between his legs. She was facing him, eyeing him with the universal silent language of 'Fuck me and make me scream, please'.

Rogue felt her blood pressure sky rocket as she watched him from across the room. As people shuffled past, her view would be obscured only to reveal again that the bimbo was still there and unfortunately not an illusion. She had her hands all over him! Rubbing his legs and reaching into his jacket while constantly flipping her dark hair over her shoulder, everything between them screamed that they'd be fucking out back just as soon as they could get to it. What's more – he loved every minute of it! It was in the way he looked at her, his body language, the way he let her get close, the blatant way he leaned against her while reaching for another shot of tequila. The bastard even rested a hand on one of her curvy hips then slid it around to grab her ass and pull her closer.

Rogue wanted so badly to cause a scene. She should march right over there and embarrass the shit out of him! Maybe she should walk up and wail, "Daddy, daddy - when are you coming home?” - Just to watch the painful look on his face. He may look a little young to be her father, but Rogue could still pass for a 17 year old when she was clean faced and dressed like a boy. Not only would he be shocked to see her there, he'd be mortified for her to call him out in front of all his damn fight sluts.

A buzzing filled her body like hundreds of hornets swarming inside her. What about her?! What about what he obviously felt for her - what he had to know she felt for him? What about birthday gifts and how “exceptional” she was? To him she was just some little girl he could flirt with and drag along behind him at the mansion while he still got his kicks out back at the local bar! Well fuck that, she thought. Just as she started to march over to the other side of the bar, she saw her other teammate take a seat beside Logan.

Victor rested his elbows on the bar as one of the other groupies saddled up next to him. He turned his head towards her as she put the moves on him, but spied what looked at first like an ill-dressed tomboy street rat. Then he caught the eyes and the pained shock that was trying to hide behind one vicious scowl. Measuring those eyes against that mouth, he knew without even noting a scent who it was. No one looked like that except Rogue - and he'd be damned if that little angel didn't sneak back in here after all.

As soon as she saw the recognition on his face, her pace slowed, then her direction changed and she all but ran for the door. Glancing back over his shoulder, he checked out all the women circling around the runt and the one in particular that he was giving his attention. She was a hot little number, but Victor saw it for what it was. Logan was just using her as away to kill the thoughts of a particular shapely brunette that wouldn't stop haunting him. Too bad little Rogue wouldn't quite see it that way...

*********
Damn him. Damn him all the way to hell and back, Rogue's voice screamed inside her mind. How could he do this when he knew she wanted him? Why couldn't he just want the same thing? Asshole! Rogue slammed the car into drive and punched the pedal so hard the tires screeched in response. Anger, jealousy, and disappointment grew into a tangled mass of emotions that were piling up inside her.

Sooner or later he'd find out just how deeply he'd hurt her. Those whores had been all over him, drooling and groping like he was a piece of meat up for grabs. She'd expected him to at least ignore their attention or redirect it, not flirt and laugh and enjoy every minute of it. It was all so ... so disgusting! Rogue felt like throwing up. And then there was his favorite; the curvy brunette hanging on him, her eyes begging him to take her somewhere so they could fuck. He'd been encouraging her! That slut practically had her hands down Logan's pants, and he hadn't even pushed her away.

God, what a fool she was to ever think he wanted her like that. She had no claim to him though and that was the biggest bitch of all. So he'd flirted and they’d kissed and there was that feeling, always that feeling when they were around each other. Obviously that meant fuck-all to him. The kiss they shared obviously meant nothing; the pendant - probably just a way to smooth things over and keep the little girl in line. Evidently, Logan could just go around kissing all the little brunettes he wanted, without a second thought.

She couldn't even call him out about his fight groupie because she wasn't supposed to have seen it to begin with. He didn't know she was there to spy on him and Victor. If he had known, then maybe he wouldn't have let those women touch him like that, and maybe he wouldn't have flirted with that brunette like she was the best thing since sliced fucking bread. Yeah, and maybe monkeys might fly out his ass, Rogue thought bitterly, squealing the tires around a curve. Bastard!

She cursed a blue streak all the way back to the mansion and was still infuriated as she stomped across the gravel walk and into the main entrance of their huge castle like home. Slamming the door behind her, she finally made it back to her own space - a safe, non Logan zone.

Was she being unreasonable to get this worked up over something that she knew was, at the very least, a part of his past? She knew women threw themselves at him, she just didn't think he threw back. Not now. Naively, she thought maybe he'd cooled his behavior since...since...since what exactly? Since she'd kissed him? Since they'd shared a couple of moments that were special - at least to her? Obviously not. Obviously she was the only one reading into their odd little relationship too much.

Rogue let out a low growl to herself. Logan was still just as much a womanizer as ever. He was making it damn clear that no matter what chemistry they shared, he did *not* want to pursue *anything* with her.

Agitated, her clothes went flying off like a twister had set down in her room. A hot shower was what she needed to get rid of the stench from the bar and the images of Logan with that slut. He was probably with her right now, making her scream his name over and over and over. She wasn't even that pretty!

At first Rogue wanted to cry, but the more she thought about it, about Logan's territorial, overly protective macho daddy routine, the angrier she got. So he thought he could tell her how to act and then just do whatever he damn well pleased? Rogue was supposed to behave like a good little girl and be Miss Virtuous, while he could be the mansion’s biggest hound dog?! He thought he'd get to see her upset? Well, she sure as hell was not going to cry her eyes out over him anymore. It was bad enough that she'd opened herself up for this time and time again. Her days of offering were over. He'd learn what he was missing out on sooner or later. If he didn't want her, then fine! There was someone that did.
Chapter 13 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
She felt that rush of control that a woman could have over a man. It was okay to be wanton, and he'd love it if she was aggressive.
Rogue towel dried her hair and slipped into her favorite kimono robe; a black satin one with a barely visible green pattern. No underwear, no nightie, no slippers. She looked into the mirror. The person staring back at her would probably look, to anyone else, like Logan's woman. He'd bought her the kimono last year while he was in Japan. The tiny pendant around her neck was this years birthday gift; an attempt at peace. She was wearing only what he'd given her, but she knew the truth. He may not want anyone else to have her, but he didn't want her for himself either. No. Tonight, what Logan wanted was a trashy, horny, fight groupie.

Hurrying down the empty hallway, Rogue hoped she wouldn't run into anyone...like Scott or Kitty or Jubes, or even worse, Logan. The fight would be well over, but he was probably still with his post fight piece of ass. He'd had his chance. Rogue was hurt, but determined to show him she wasn't a girl that needed protection. She was a woman, and one with needs. Adult needs.

If he wouldn't deliver, Victor would. He didn't see her as a girl and he didn't treat her as one. Sure he was scary, dangerous, intimidating, and more or less without manners or morals. That alone should've kept her from seeking him out, but she didn't care anymore. What difference did it make anyway? It made no sense to hold out for Logan anymore.

Right now she didn't give a damn about anything. Rogue wanted attention, wanted what only Victor could do for her, wanted what he could make her feel. She needed to feel needed and with him, she was all female. She felt that rush of control that a woman could have over a man. It was okay to be wanton, and he'd love it if she was aggressive. She had to knock only once before the door opened.

"Well, to what do I owe this pleasant surprise?" Victor said, his voice low and taunting as he cocked an eyebrow at her.

Rogue tried not to scowl at him just as much as she tried to ignore the way his gaze made goose bumps grow all over her skin. The look on his face screamed that he knew why she'd come to his door. She felt naked before him and was unable to stop the heat rushing up to her cheeks. No, he definitely didn't see her as a girl who needed protecting.

It looked like he had just stepped out of the shower - water still dripping from his hair, down his face and body - it was impossible not to stare and admire that chest of his. He'd wrapped a towel around his waist but that didn't stop Rogue from wondering what he'd look like without it. Her eyes lingered there just a fraction too long for Victor not to notice and take advantage of the situation.

He pulled her in and locked the door behind them.

"What's the matter? Not scared of me anymore, angel?" he continued with that same deep, lazy voice.

The comment brought Rogue back to reality as she looked up at Victor. Those black eyes had bled into something darker than she'd ever seen before. Two bottomless wells radiated a hunger so raw and intense she reflexively backed up a step. Staring into them was a thrill, but at the same time it felt like he was eating her alive just by staring her down. He wanted her; it was there in the way he looked at her and the way his body reacted to her presence. No, she wasn't scared of him. She was scared of what he made her feel, because it felt wrong to need what he was. It had to be wrong to want to feel this way and it had to be wrong that her hands itched with the need to touch him.

Nervously, she reached out, the tips of her fingers tracing the hard lines of his broad chest. The feel of his skin, still damp from his shower, and the firmness of the muscles underneath her fingertips made Rogue blush even more. Victor didn't say anything, just held her wide eyed gaze as she unwrapped the towel and let it fall.

There was a hitch in his breathing as he pulled her towards him and once again grabbed her hand, moving it to touch his erection. This time she didn't struggle or pull away, but matched his intent eyes.

"See what you do to me, angel? See the power you have?"

She let her eyes drop and wander over him.

"You wanna have control over me ... don't you?" he offered, leaning in. "It's yours," he whispered.

Rogue forced out any trace of doubt before dropping to her knees. He was magnificent to look at; like something between a dark sensual nightmare and a wild untamed creature; a pure force of nature. A body meant to fascinate and bespell - it was impossible not to want to touch every part of that body, regardless of the soul that lay beneath it.

So hard, so ready - Rogue felt a rush of satisfaction at the sight before her. She didn't have to do anything to make him firm like that. Just the thought of her had been enough for him.

A shiver ran through Victor's body and rippled back into Rogue as she brushed the long hard length of him with the tip of her tongue. She shuddered and heard herself make a small sound, a soft quiet moan. Two hands pushed back the soft brown waves and snow white streaks from her face, and entwined themselves in her hair. He held her in place, but let her decide the pace and what she wanted to do. She was surprised that he was letting her take control, but that power over him felt so, so good. Rogue couldn't help but imagine what it would feel like to have him inside of her; what fucking him would be like.

Glancing up at Victor through her lashes, she knew he must be thinking the same thing about her, but he didn't make any remarks, didn't taunt or tease her like she'd expected of him. His arousal was so evident to her; the strained breathing, the way he groaned as she sucked him, the way he slowly tightened his grip on her hair. Was he holding back? She wasn't sure, and didn't dare ask; instead she enjoyed the power; enjoyed the sensation of his cock inside her mouth against her tongue, enjoyed the taste of him.

Whatever she'd had with Bobby didn't even come close to what raced through her body now. What Victor made her feel, what he did to make her body react like it did, was completely different. He wasn't a boy, he was a man. Just like Logan. Logan. He wasn't going to change. He was happy with his status quo and he'd never claim her. With Victor, she could have what Logan wouldn't give her. She could have everything ... except the man she wanted.

Rogue knew she shouldn't even be where she was at the moment. She wasn't completely stupid, but her morals had taken a vacation and she hated to admit it but she couldn't help herself. She had something over this man – the man who let no one have anything over him. Victor was close; Rogue knew it as she peaked up at him and swirled her tongue with a satisfied smile. There was a clicking noise - the sound of his claws as they sprang out from each fingertip. This was far beyond playing with fire and she knew it. Dangerous and exhilarating. This was her secret, a forbidden, pleasurable secret that no one else could ever know about. With that last thought she took him as deep as she managed without choking. Moments later he came hard, exploded inside her in waves. Rogue let the warm thick fluid run down her throat, then licked her lips which earned her a pleased grin in return.

Victor hauled her to her feet without a word. He tugged on the sash of her kimono and watched as it slid to the floor. He pressed her up against the wall, and held her gaze while letting his hands travel up and down her naked body; they left a burning, aching path and Rogue threw her head back, unable to withhold another moan. It felt so good, so good and so bad. Her whole being hurt from the need for release that she'd been denied by Logan; a release that Victor brought out by touching her, one that he could satisfy if he just kept going. He leaned in and ran his tongue along her collarbone then slowly journeyed down between her breasts and belly. If Rogue had known how that tongue would feel against her most sensitive parts, delicately coarse like soft beach sand, she would've tried to prepare herself.

Her knees buckled at the fire that spread across her, searing her body and drawing moan after loud moan from her throat. She fought, desperately searching for something to hold on to as wave after wave of lust washed through her body. Why wouldn’t Logan make her feel this? He could if he wanted to, but he wouldn’t. There was only Victor and he was tasting her, teasing her, owning her with his tongue. He held her in place, his hands pinning her hips against the wall, while still buried between her thighs licking her, bringing her closer and closer to sweet release. He brought her screaming, then again and again. She pulled at his hair as the orgasm rode her body until her knees gave way and she slumped forward against him. He caught her in his arms and tilted her chin up so she was forced to meet his black gaze.

"What a tasty ride angel," he murmured. He immediately reverted back to his distanced, smug demeanor. He picked up her kimono and handed it to her. "I could sure as hell make this a habit."

"Don't flatter yourself," Rogue finally managed in response. She was still short of breath as she shrugged on her robe.

Victor gave a laugh that suddenly turned into a purr.

"Then don't come runnin' to me the next time you've been rejected by the runt," he said, opening the door and giving her a light shove out into the hallway.

*********

Rogue fell asleep quickly after washing up and changing into her night gown, but her sleep was restless. Her dreams were mottled with visions of Logan kissing a faceless brunette and images of Victor Creed on his knees before the same woman. The woman was writhing, at the mercy of the man in front of her and loving it. Tossing and turning, she could feel the sensations of this faceless woman; she'd been that woman and perhaps she should feel used ... or manipulative, but she didn't. The dreams made her feel dirty and a little shameful, but they were invigorating. She knew she should feel some kind of remorse for what was happening, but the dream was charged with sexual tension. Rogue whimpered out loud and the sound made her sit straight up in bed.

A stealthy figured moved in the corner.

"Sweet dreams, darlin'?"

It was Logan, and from the sound of his voice, the tequila was still working. She tried to remain casual about his presence in her bedroom.

"What's going on?" she asked, her mind still fuzzy.

He rose from the chair he'd occupied and moved to the foot of her bed.

"I wanted to see you. C'mere," he said.

His voice was deeper, huskier; drawn out and slow from the late hour and the numerous drinks. Rogue had never heard him sound quite like it, but knew a voice like that could work magic. It was as if an invisible cord stretched out from it and roped her in. Suddenly she was standing in front of him, and it took a moment before she even realized that his hands were in her hair, pulling her mouth towards his. She wasn't sure that she'd even woken up yet. Was this still a part of that same tawdry dream?

His mouth was hot against hers, and then his tongue was in her mouth. Rogue closed her eyes; if it was a dream, she welcomed it gladly. Feeling pliant in her fantasy, she reached her hands around his neck and pulled herself up to shamelessly wrap her legs around his waist. Her tongue sought his, sliding against his mouth. When she sucked roughly on his bottom lip, a rumble went through Logan's chest, vibrating against her. She mewled into his mouth when he returned the favor. His hands cupped her bottom and stroked her back, moving her closer against him. Those hands had violently saved her life before; those hands had gently caressed her several times. Those very same hands had been all over a nameless fight groupie only hours ago and probably held her tight while he fucked her.

The image made Rogue's chest burn. Wide awake now, she realized it was no dream, but that Logan had come to her in another moment of weakness. She turned away slightly, not meeting his eyes and his breathing was quick and fiery against her cheek.

"Did you come here to get the taste of her out of your mouth?" she asked acidly, wanting him to hurt the way she did.

"What are you talkin' about?" he said, his face barely brushed hers.

"The groupie?" she turned, their lips almost touching. "The slut that you were banging tonight. Did you come here to get the taste of her out of your mouth?" She enunciated each word with severe accuracy.

Logan raised his eyes from her mouth to clash with her fierce gaze.

"No," he said steadily, even though his chest tightened with the realization that somehow she knew. "I went to her to try to forget about you."

Rogue took a quick breath in, not wanting to believe it. "Liar."

He shifted her against him, her bare legs still tightly enveloping him.

"Does it feel like a lie?" he asked smugly. Pausing, he sniffed the air. "Did it work for you?"

Her eyebrows drew into a crooked line as she looked at him in confusion.

"The guy you were with tonight? Did it help you forget about me?" he continued.

"I wasn't -"

"Don't lie," he stopped her. "It may be too late to know who, but I know the smell of sex."

Rogue tried not to tense up in his arms, but the air was crackling with heat and danger.

"Whoever he is ... does he make you happy?" Logan asked.

"No," she answered.

"He's still a better choice than I am."

She laughed bitterly; if he only knew. "How can you say that? Maybe I don't want 'better'."

"You want a man that comes to you after fight groupies, Rogue?" he asked, every bit as bitter.

She pushed off of him, regaining her footing. "No! But that’s your choice because it's the easy way out. You come here because your guard is down. When your inhibitions are low, you let me in but then shut me out the next second. I don't know what you want." Her body and her voice were shaking now.

With every reserve of strength she had, Rogue moved towards the door. She had to force herself to open it and look him straight in the eye. "And I'm tired of waiting for you to figure it out."

Logan's jaw clenched and unclenched, knowing the battle that she was waging with herself and fighting one of his own. He did *want* her, but he couldn't make her any promises. If only it were that simple. He couldn't even sort out everything he wanted from her, so he sure as hell couldn't ask it. He didn't deserve what Rogue would try to give him either and nothing was going to change that. She'd want more than the physical from him, she'd want his entire being and she'd try to give hers in return. The idea of it was overwhelming. It would bring her misery, but selfishly, part of him longed for it any way. She was right though; he only came to her when he was too weak to fight it anymore and that wasn’t fair. Logan didn’t even blame her for growing tired of it all.

Maybe this other man would make her forget, bring her some happiness. If he did anything short of make her happy, Logan would turn his life into a living hell.

Walking to the door, he stopped and tilted her chin up to look at him. "I just need to know ... you don't hate me," he said, needing to hear the words.

Watery eyes met his. "I don't hate you," she said quietly, and shut the door.
Chapter 14 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
"Do it! Do it runt! Spring 'em and see what happens."
Victor found his nemesis sitting by himself in the Professor's study. He strolled in with a cold bottle of Absolut hanging from one hand and set it on the table next to Logan. The runt had taken to hiding in this room almost every night now. From the looks of things, the Wolverine wasn't sleeping so well and super-human healing or not, it was starting to show. He was too goddamn weak to go and take what he wanted, so instead he shut himself away and brooded.

The mere sight was enough to make Victor want to smash the bottle over Logan's face, but even that was getting tiresome. That runt was never going change his ways, no matter how many times he was offered a choice besides solitude. Maybe he figured he didn't deserve anything else, and he figured right. Men like them couldn't live that lie; they were better off alone, but it shouldn't stop him from taking what he wanted. The runt's so called honor made him weak. Once he'd felt respect for the Wolverine, they'd been like two warriors - forced to watch each others backs. Logan was still a damn good fighter, but that was just the leftovers from the animal Victor once knew. Lately he'd begun to wonder how Logan had allowed himself to become trained. He was acting more and more like that Cyclops guy. Another pansy; a muscled pansy but still a pansy. They'd tamed him, chained him down and made him play nice. Well that was his fuckin' problem; Victor snorted to himself and swallowed a shot of the vodka.

There had been tension between Rogue and Logan ever since she'd come back to the fight bar, tension thick enough to walk on. Tension caused by hurt and regret mostly, but there was still that undercurrent of repressed desire. It charged the air around them. Every time Victor studied them it was plain that Rogue was fighting an internal battle; her face was set and empty and she seemed tired all the time too. Whenever her eyes found Logan and he noticed her looking at him, she quickly turned her back on him. It was the same thing on the other side too - Logan putting up his loner facade.

Fools, Victor muttered to himself and swallowed another mouthful of the crystal clear liquor. He was certain that Rogue had confronted Logan about the fight groupie, a young woman that just happened to look a lot like their squad leader. Then she'd started avoiding Logan, and maybe that was to be expected, but he didn't like it one bit that she was avoiding him too. She couldn't be feeling guilty over what had happened between them. From what Victor could recall she'd enjoyed it just as much as he had; not only had she climaxed once but a couple of times and he had been the one bringing her over. Nothing dirty about that.

"You got something to say or you just gonna sit there like an idiot?" Logan's arrogant voice broke through his graphic flashbacks.

Victor raised his eyes to meet Logan's. He smiled but it wasn't pleasant.

"Why? You dyin' for some company? I never figured you’d be such a sucker for attention," he said and hoped the last part of what he'd just said would make Logan react.

Logan simply glared at him "Either share the bottle - or get the hell away from me."

Victor threw his head back and laughed. The runt didn't get it or he was being completely ignorant. Either way he was going to learn about life the hard way. Obviously he hadn't known that Rogue snuck into the cage fights before. If he had, he never would've let that fight groupie – that wannabe - touch him in the first place, let alone fuck her.

He slid the bottle over to Logan. "So what crawled up in you and died lately, runt? You’ve been more of a mopey pain in the ass than usual. Woman problems?" he asked, mockingly.

"Fuck off," Logan growled.

"I've been hearing a lot of that lately - but as a matter of fact - I think I'll stay right here," he crooned and leaned back in his chair. "You must be grumpy 'cause your little girl's been playing hide and no seek lately. Awh, Wolverine's sad because his little buddy won't play with him. What is she - pissed off because you're fucking groupies behind a dive bar? Women. There's no pleasin' 'em."

"What did you say?" he asked, shifting to face Victor.

"I said, your little girl, she must be pissed because she saw you fiddlin' with some other slut's goodies."

“How do you kn- … you saw her there, didn’t you? You piece of shit. You saw her there that night and you didn't say a goddamn word."

Victor did his best to feign ignorance over the man’s statement. “So? Why should I? Neither one of us were supposed to be there, but it’s not like she was gonna punish us – so who cares?” he asked.

“That is not what I’m talking about,” Logan said through gritted teeth.

Victor shook his head as if confused, then pointedly made a look of dawning epiphany.

“Ooooh – I get it. Well, well, well. Looks like big, bad Wolverine really *was* trying to hide something from little miss thing. I was only joking, but looks like I hit pretty close to home, huh? Soooo, tell me this, oh honorable one; why do you care if she sees you grindin’ on some piece of ass? Huh? Unless…unless you don’t want to hurt her feelings.”

Logan sat deathly still, not trusting himself to say a single word to a manipulative bastard like Victor Creed.

Victor reached down, grabbing his crotch and making a lewd gesture. “Or maybe you just wish it was her that was screamin’ your name while you pound into her.”

“Shut your fucking mouth!” Logan yelled, on his feet now. Creed could never know the truth because he'd use it. Use it to hurt him, and worse, to hurt Rogue. "I don't want her screaming shit for me," he insisted.

Reaching his full height, Victor rose to meet him. “Don’t get mad at me just because you can’t handle that action. Admit it. You want that pussy so bad you can taste it. What - afraid you’re not man enough?”

“That’s a goddamn lie Creed – you’re wrong!” Logan felt like the adamantium was vibrating within his body. “You do nothing around here but spread your lies hoping to screw everybody over. What goes on in my life is none of your fucking business. If I want to fuck a groupie every day of the goddamn week, it’s none of your business and it’s got *nothing* to do with Rogue! You want everyone to be as miserable as you are, but it ain’t gonna happen.”

He put his fist right up to Creed’s throat, threatening to release the claws.

“Your folks should’ve left you locked up years ago. They could've done us all a favor and let you rot down there you sick sack of shit.”

"Do it! Do it runt! Spring 'em and see what happens," Creed dared him. "You try to take me out and I'll be takin' you with me. You said it - do the world a favor and end it. They'd all be better off without either of us anway...'cause you're just like me."

*********

It took everything she had not to run for her room. She'd overheard every word. The squad leader in her should stop them, but the woman in her wanted to run. Her cheeks burned with anger and shame, but mostly sorrow at what Logan had said. Of course it was the truth; he'd turned her down so many times she shouldn't be surprised at all. The other night proved that a much stronger part of him wanted nothing to do with her. Whatever he did, however he acted, it had absolutely nothing to do with her. She was never going to be enough for him. Sobbing silently, she continued to listen because it was all she could do.


Rogue held her breath, certain that the argument between her two team mates was escalating into a full blown fight. She wanted it to happen. Let them beat the shit out of each other; she'd do nothing to stop it. It was Victor who backed down this time. With a few more harsh words and threats, she heard his voice nearing the door before she bolted down the hall.

It wasn't even a surprise. Logan didn't want her, didn't she already know that? Maybe he claimed to want a fight groupie to forget about her, but it was all just a game. A sick, twisted game that gave him a thrill; keep the good little girl panting after you at home, and bang the whores while you're away.

How is it that he could still hurt her? She'd started messing with fire and look where it led! She knew the type of man Logan was when she met him, but he'd seemed so different with her. He was different with her. Something about it just didn't seem right. It must be right though, because she heard him say it. He could do whatever he wanted. It’s got *nothing* to do with Rogue. Was it all just some act for him? He had always been caring and protective with her and now she realized that she liked that part too. She wanted both from him; her best friend that cared and the animal that lusted after her. Why couldn't she have both?

Because he wouldn't give her both. It was a game to him. Well you know what Logan? She could play games too.

*******

He sensed her coming down the hallway, and she was in a hurry. It was just like the last time; she sought him out late at night, when everyone else was already asleep. She wouldn't stay, not that he'd allowed it anyway. He wasn't the kind of man that brought a woman home to cuddle after he'd fucked her. He didn't need anyone sleeping beside him or waking up next to him in the morning. Especially not her.

There was a knock on the door; Victor opened it and yanked her towards him without a word. She gasped and the moment their eyes locked he could smell her arousal and flare to life. Sweet and heavy, it clung to his senses like burning oil and made him hard. She wanted him, lusted after his body, wanted him to please her and he longed to hear her moan and wriggle underneath him. He wanted to hear her calling his name.

There was no denying the satisfaction he felt as she admired his naked body. Staring at him with lips half parted, she looked like she wanted to taste him. As she reached out to touch him he seized her by the waist and pressed her up against the wall.

Rogue's hands traced his stomach in fascination and brushed his broad chest before ending up somewhere in the tangled mass of his almost waist long hair. She wanted to be kissed. He knew it, so he kissed her - even though it was something he never did. He preferred to skip the cuddling and get to the fucking right away. Pressing his lips to hers, he kissed her like he was trying to crawl inside that warm mouth. She tasted so good, so very good and she responded to that fierce, deep kiss as if she was trying to drink him down. Moaning and pulling him closer, Rogue's hands curled into Victor's shoulders as they kept kissing each other. He tore her top off, pleased to discover she hadn't bothered wearing a bra. Hopefully no panties either, he thought, and slid his hands down her ass to lift her up so she had to wrap her legs around his waist.

She was gorgeous; a minx of a teaser - bitchy at times, insistent that she was tough, but he liked that she could put up a fight in the Danger Room, or elsewhere...like in bed. Hopefully in bed. That she was young with little experience didn't bother him the least. She had a killer body that just begged to be touched. He laid Rogue down on the bed and knelt between her legs. Watching her, he listened to her strained breathing, inhaled her scent.

So eager, a little uncertain, but already so wet; there was no need for him to touch her to know how badly she wanted him. With one swift motion, he relieved her of the pants and growled at the sight before him - all that bare, soft flesh - and he got his wish, she wasn't wearing panties.

Rouge arched off the bed and seized two handfuls of his hair to pull him closer. Licking and biting those full and luscious lips of hers, he smoothed one of her breasts while reaching down between their bodies.

"So wet ..." he groaned into her mouth. Rogue didn't say anything but her whole being did. Hips bucking against his hand as he kept teasing her. So wet and ready, it seemed a shame to let all that welcoming warmth go to waste. He knew what she was there for and she'd get it.

"Oh god ..."

He rubbed his face against her neck, felt the beating of her pulse just below the skin. Unable to resist, he bit her, only hard enough to make her gasp.

"Mmmm ... Feels good don't it?"

Her hands curled into his shoulders. "Yes ..."

"So what do you want me to do to you, angel? Want me to taste you? What'll it be?" he murmured and almost slipped a finger inside that warm promising wetness between her thighs. She was probably still a virgin, but she wouldn't be for long. Maybe tonight, maybe not. Soon though ... he liked this little game they played, but his patience was wearing thin.

Rogue bit her lower lip and reached for the head board, and that was answer enough. He gazed up at her while settling himself between her thighs, licking her slowly, too slow because she started to wriggle and beg him to go faster. And he intended to, but it was too much of a pleasure to watch her whole body squirm out of lust and the need he caused. It didn't take much effort to bring her over, and when she was getting close he fought not to push himself inside her.

He didn't want to miss out on seeing those full lips wrapped around his cock again. Sure, he longed to just fuck her and knew she wanted it, but so far ... she hadn't said it. He wanted her to beg for it. Pride. It was the only thing that kept him from just taking and she couldn't wait it out forever. With any other woman he would have just taken what he wanted by now. For some reason though, he needed to hear her plead for it; needed to see it on her face that nothing else would do. Only him. And he sure as hell wasn't gonna let that runt have her. She drooled after that man's scraps like she was a starving dog. The Wolverine wanted her, but he was weak. He wouldn't take what was there, no matter what. There was nothing that Wolverine could give her that he couldn't anyway. Victor Creed sure as hell wasn't going to be a substitute for that runt. He was second to no man. He'd have her screaming his own name and wipe every thought of the runt from her mind.

But Rogue never cried his name, Victor thought, and she'd never begged to feel him. She'd never said much at all now that he thought about it. It was like she was there, but not really. Not that he cared...

"You were right," he heard her murmur.

He nipped the inside of her thigh. "Right about what, angel?"

Rogue leaned up onto her elbows to see him. "He doesn't see me like you see me. I heard him say it...to you...in the study. He doesn't want me. It's all just...some game ... to him.

Victor saw the hurt and self pity in her eyes. There was little anger there at all. But anger made her sexy, he thought. Anger lit that fire inside her. Pity and despair were useless. She was past anger; now she wanted comfort. Victor didn't do comfort, not even cold comfort.

She wanted that damned runt! Still! But since she thought he'd rejected her - then second place would do? Victor Creed would not second place to the runt. Ever!

Rogue wasn't even there to strike back at Logan. She was there because she thought that's all she could have. Her arousal was alive because she was thinking about Logan! Damn the woman! Why should he care why she was there? It never mattered what brought the women before. Who gave a fuck? Just fuck her.

But she'd be thinking his name, and she'd be feeling his mouth...wishing it was him between her legs.

Without realizing it, Victor had dug his claws into the soft flesh of her hip. He heard her inhale sharply. Good, because it damn well should hurt, he thought, and kept licking at her sex, bringing her closer and closer to orgasm. He'd take her to that edge and then toss her off the damn cliff!

When Rogue was only moments away from getting off he pinned her down and held her in place with his own considerable weight. Confusion showed in her eyes.

"Why did you stop?" she panted.

He leaned into her close enough to kiss.

"If it's a whore you want angel, then I'll take you to one," he growled.

She frowned. "What are you talking about?"

"You know damn well what I'm talking about."

"But -"

He grabbed her roughly by the chin.

"I'm not second string, so don't fuckin' play games with me," he snarled and pushed himself off the bed, ignoring his own nakedness. His body's painful reaction to her lying there was obvious, but he wasn't being allowed to have what he wanted, what he deserved. The taste of her arousal still filled his mouth, sweet as candy but backed by something bitter.

Rogue sat up, frowning even harder.

"I'm not playing any games with you -"

He glared at her, cursed inwardly at his weakness. He'd normally take what he wanted, but from her he wanted admission. Her sweet lips needed to ask for him, need him...and he hated it. He wanted to hear her say she wanted him and not the other one.

"Get out."

She crawled off the bed and went to stand in front of him, close enough that he could feel her. Confusion still showed in her face and it made him want to look away, made him uncomfortable as hell. Rogue's arousal was fading while his own remained as strong as ever. How did she do this to him? Who the hell did she think she was pretending to want him when all she really cared about was that runt; a man that didn't even have the guts to claim her, and why the hell did he care?

"You don't want that," she said and tried to capture his gaze.

"What do you fuckin' care?" he snarled at her. Bending to her eye level, he moved just inches from her face. "Look me in the eye and tell me you don't still want him. Say you don't want that fuckin' runt."

Rogue gaped at him, unable to answer or even blink.

Victor grabbed her by the chin again and yanked on her arm, pulling her towards him.
"I'm done playin' with you, angel. Now get out!" he growled into her face.

When she stared at him in a stunned silence, he leered. “You can get your shit and get out now, or I’m tossing you out in only your skin.”

Rogue scrambled for her things as he went into the bathroom, slamming the door shut behind him. He pounded his head against the cold hard tiles until he was dizzy. She wasn't going to be there when he decided to go to bed.
Chapter 15 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
Her mind was a million other places besides their training and she knew she was going to have to shake it off or lose any chance of proving herself capable.
It was late in the evening and she'd treated herself to a long, hot bath. Perhaps if she stayed in the tub for a few days, some of her anxiety would cease. The tension between Victor and Logan was worse than ever, and she'd caught them exchanging one arrogant comment after the other. She tried to just do her job and not think about either of them, but it was impossible. Victor glared at Logan constantly, the anger rolling off him in waves; Logan was withdrawn and tense, and she felt like a knotted coil whenever the three of them were forced to be close together. They were a ticking time bomb right at the heart of the mansion, and Rogue had no idea how to diffuse it.

Stepping out of the bathroom, Rogue put on a short nightgown and opened the door to her balcony. The evening was warm, letting in a soft breeze that should be relaxing. She knew Logan was withdrawn because of everything that happened between them, but it was Victor's behavior she couldn't understand. And how much longer was she going to have to put up with it? What the hell was his problem? She wanted to confront him about it but didn't dare. He'd probably only lash out at her or say something humiliating because Victor didn't practice fair play. And you do Rogue?

She muted that last thought into a quiet buzz. No, Victor was making her nervous. He was avoiding her too now. No leers, no sideway glances, not so much as a single lewd remark or even a gesture. He hadn't even acknowledged her presence when they'd passed each other in the mansion hallway or cafeteria. The big difference between him avoiding her and Logan avoiding her though — Creed was dangerous. A pissed of Victor Creed could wreak all kinds of havoc.

Rogue sighed. Sure she should probably feel bad about it all, but - distinct noises made her snap out of her internal monologue.

There were sounds coming from somewhere outdoors. Sounds she shouldn’t be hearing. It couldn't be ... but it was. She recognized the unmistakable sounds of people having sex. But just outside her balcony? Judging by the sound level they had to be close, too close obviously. Careful not to give herself away, Rogue snuck out on her balcony to see if she could track the ones responsible for disturbing the peace.
Rogue's hearing hadn't failed her, but she wasn't sure if she was imagining things or not. Her mouth dropped open and her eyes grew wide. A level down and several rooms away, lived Victor. He was out on his balcony too, and he wasn't alone. Pressed up against him was some woman - a blonde - and from where Rogue stood frozen to the spot, it was plain to see her teammate was keeping himself busy. Judging by the loud moans coming from the blonde, Victor seemed to be fucking the living daylights out of her. It was like a live porno. Hell, from what she looked like, Rogue thought it might be Jenna Jameson herself getting the special treatment from Victor Creed!
She shouldn't give a damn - if he wanted to fuck some trashy bimbo with fake tits the size of watermelons then he had every right. It was just that ... he was doing it on purpose! The bastard was trying to set her off, he had to be; she was sure of it. But on the other hand he seemed to be enjoying himself too, pounding hard and fast into the blonde until she began to moan repeatedly. This was just too much.

Rogue chewed at her lip. She hated that it bothered her like this. It wasn't as though she'd expected Creed to practice celibacy - no it wasn't like that at all. Well how was it then? Okay, first of all it was a generally accepted rule at the mansion - a school none the less - that fucking outdoors for the whole world to see was not okay. It was far from okay Rogue thought, as she heard herself gasp. The blonde had moved down to her knees in front of Victor, sucking him off. It brought back some of Rogue's own memories; what it had felt like doing what that tramp was doing. She should just get back inside and close the door because if he saw her, he'd somehow turn it against her. He was probably doing it just to spite her, but he'd twist it around on her, thinking she'd be jealous. Well she was not jealous!
Victor picked that moment to let Rogue know he saw her. Even from a distance she could tell he was pleased at her stunned reaction, everything about him screamed arrogance. He didn't give a damn that she'd caught him in the act with some nameless woman. Rogue wasn't sure if she should feel embarrassed or angry or ... she was not jealous! The Victor in her head mocked her and as if on cue, the real Victor grinned at her. But it wasn't his usual smirk; there was nothing teasing or taunting about it. He was angry. Angry and glaring at her while the blonde was keeping herself busy. Now the Victor in her head was snarling and snapping, wanting her to see and hoping that it hurt like hell.
Rogue hurried inside, slamming her door and locking it.

*************

The days drug by at a snail's pace. Only once since the…incident, had she been faced with both Logan and Victor, during a battle simulation, and the awkwardness was palpable. Even Bobby, who usually made it a point not to be alone with her, took her aside afterwards and asked if everything was okay. She was off her game and she knew it. Her mind was a million other places besides their training and she knew she was going to have to shake it off or lose any chance of proving herself capable. Once she'd assured Bobby she was fine, just tired, he'd let the matter go.

She was far from fine. Creed was pissed and obviously wanted her to know it, but more than anything, she missed Logan. He had always been a part of her life and now there was an empty space where he should be. On top of that, she had Victor to deal with. He hadn't confronted her about that night on the balcony; actually, he still wasn't speaking at all. It was like a massive, dark vacuum wherever he stood.

Outside of training, the three of them managed to avoid seeing each other. Rogue spent a lot of her time away from the mansion or holed up in Jubilee's room, just in case anyone decided to pop in to her room again. Before their next squad practice, Rogue gave herself a pep talk about focusing on the task at hand. All other issues would have to wait. It worked too.

Only one time did Rogue falter; when she saw Logan studying her intently while she laid out their strategy. If she didn't know better, she'd have thought she saw longing, even an apology in his eyes. Maybe he missed her too? As for Victor, he wouldn't look at her at all. She shouldn't care. She didn't care. He'd turned her out and then made it clear what he thought of her.

That was fine. It's not like she was looking for his approval or understanding; as if he was even capable of those emotions. Sometimes it did hurt just a little and she didn't understand why. Why should she care what Victor Creed did in his spare time or that he was mad and wouldn't look at her? On top of dealing with Logan’s rejection, it bothered her a little. Normally, she wouldn't care at all; of this she was certain.

Once everyone had cleared out of the Danger Room, Rogue made her way to the locker room. Her days of using those team showers were over unless it was an absolute necessity, but she still had to collect her things from the locker and change as soon as possible. The leather uniform was wet with sweat and it clung uncomfortably. Shuffling her way across the tiles, her mind went back to Logan. His rejection of her advances hurt, but more than anything, she just wanted *him* back. The past week had taught her something once the pain had faded a little. If all she could have from Logan was his friendship, then she'd take it. She used to think she couldn't stand to just be his buddy and nothing more. Now she knew she couldn't stand not having some part of him in her life. They couldn't live around each other and just ignore the other’s existence. He had to feel the loss too. How were they going to clean up this mess? How could she let him know that she wanted to try?

Opening her locker, Rogue found a flat, white package with a plain paper note sitting on top of her clothes. She looked around nervously. The team locker room set her on edge now, but there was no one around. Flipping open the note, it read "sorry" and nothing more.

It had to be from Logan. He was the only one that ever gave her gifts like this and he was the only one with a reason to apologize. It was touching that he was even saying 'I'm sorry' first because he wasn't the only one with something to be sorry about. She looked at the gift guiltily for a moment, before removing the top. Digging through a layer of tissue, she blushed deeply at what she found. Nestled in the box was a pair of delicate, white lace panties held together with satin ribbons on the sides. The color and material hinted at being demure, but the cut along with the tiny ribbons were more naughty than nice.

Rogue's eyes widened as her blush grew deeper. What in the world was he thinking with a gift like this? Well...she knew what he must be thinking, but what did it mean? He was making a sly reference to her peep show, which now seemed like ages ago, but was he just playing with her? She set the small package down in her locker. No, Logan wouldn't be that cruel.

She sensed him as he came up behind her. Swiftly closing the locker, Rogue spun around to face him. Logan hadn't changed out of his uniform either. It looked like he'd been waiting since they finished for her to find the gift. He was staring at her like he wanted to see inside her mind. For a moment she couldn't decide if she should smile or cry now that they were face to face. Logan's eyes looked as though they held that same ache.

Her eyes couldn't look away from his, even though it hurt.

"Hey," her voice cracked.

"Hey," he said, quieter than normal. "I wanted to talk to you. Alone."

"Yeah...I’m glad…Logan I'm sorry," she blurted out.

Relief showed on his face. "Me too."

Rogue wanted so badly to reach out to him, so she tucked her hands behind her back. "We've been here before - with the sorry."

"Yeah."

His eyes looked tired now, like he was fighting some long battle - and losing.

"What are you sorry for?" Her question came out a whisper.

"Lots of things," he said flatly. "I know I've been a jackass lately, but...I miss you. And I don't miss anyone, ever. This not being able to talk to you or you not talking to me - maybe it's selfish, but I don't give a shit - I don't like...this." He paused, mulling over his confession.

"What are you sorry for?" he asked after a deep breath.

Her hands were back in front of her now, clinging to each in her nervousness.

"Those things too," she answered. Thinking of the gift inside her locker, "And I wish I hadn’t kicked you out the other night." It just came out without warning and Rogue looked up at him, unsure and uneasy about his response.

Logan saw the need in her eyes again, but it wasn't only lust. She needed him; needed to know that they were going to be okay. He needed the same thing.

Almost reflexively, he reached out and stroked her hair. Control be damned, he thought; he wanted her to know that he was sorry. He just needed to make it right, but before either of them realized it, they were in an embrace. Comforting each other for what they'd done, Rogue ducked her head and found herself rubbing Logan's leather clad back while his hands clasped her shoulders, then the back of her neck. Immediately her heart raced even though she resented how easily he affected her. His breathing became rougher and it felt warm on her face, but she couldn't raise her eyes to his again. The grip on her neck tightened, encouraging her to look at him.

She took a shallow breath. If she looked up, what would she see? To open up and hope again, only for him to shut down on her would be devastating. Rogue couldn't do it. She couldn't put herself out there like that and hope to see her want reflected in his eyes. Then she felt lips, warm and soft, caressing her cheek, searching for her mouth. Relaxing into him, she let it happen.

"I’m so sorry," he said against her skin.

Her head jerked back like she'd been slapped. "Don't. Don't do this just because you're sorry," she said in anguish. If this was only a way to make amends, she didn't want it.

"No!" he insisted and Rogue hoped it was the truth. He brushed her damp hair back and continued touching her, running his hands over her hair, her arms, her back - like he couldn't believe she was really there. Rogue wasn't sure what she saw in his eyes but it wasn't just regret.

"No," he whispered again.

It was as if he was trying to decide something, and she got the distinct impression that he was looking to her for help. He was searching her eyes for an answer. Unsure of the question, Rogue's hands moved over him, in reassurance and in need. Even through the leather, she could feel the hills and planes of his muscular back. Her hands took on a life of their own, moving around to his chest and pressing into him. She refused to be the one to take the reins, but she couldn't help touching him, wanting to feel him against her. Rogue looked up at him thinking exactly that. It seemed to be all the encouragement he needed.

Logan's mouth caught hers. She let him lead, needed him to, and as she opened to him the kiss grew deeper. Logan wanted this too, she thought. If their separation had brought this on, then maybe it was all worth it, but she prayed that his boundaries wouldn't go flying up again. His kiss felt divine, like warm silk against her tongue, and Rogue wanted more, needed to be closer. Fumbling with his uniform's zipper, she slid it down to his collar bone. She wanted to taste him and moved her lips to where his pulse beat so strong against his neck. He was salty and hot, and Logan moaned lowly as she licked his skin. All thought of resistance, of standing her ground, were gone. There was only her and Logan and this moment when there were no lines.

He sought her lips again. His tongue was seeking, stroking every part of her mouth and lighting a fire that she could feel through her entire body. Logan's hand slid down to her hip to move her closer then crept up to brush the curve of her breast. Rogue almost whimpered into his mouth. She wanted his hands on her, now. With urgency, she moved to unzip her uniform; the layers of leather between them were too much. He watched as if amazed at her initiative.

"You sure?"

Rogue shot him a look and continued to struggle with the zipper. Impatiently, Logan grabbed the zipper from her, jerking it down past her navel.

His mouth was on her skin then, her neck, and her ears. When he kissed the curve of her cleavage, Rogue fought not to cry out. Then Logan's hands were squeezing her, molding her breasts through her bra. She was so close to the edge from only his touch.

"Oh God," she heard herself murmur.

Logan's eyes were heavy and dark when Rogue grabbed his hand, moving it between her thighs. It would take so little right now, she thought. She needed him, needed this, so badly and wanted to grab all that she could before reality came back. He pressed the heel of his hand against her, moving it firmly back and forth and in small circles while his lips never left her skin. Just as she was going under, Logan raised his head to watch. Rogue's head fell back against the locker and she moaned as a shudder ran through her.

It felt like heaven, she thought, standing there with him pressed against her. He'd barely touched her and she'd climaxed and maybe she should be embarrassed, but she wasn't. And Logan only looked too proud.

"You okay?" he said in a warm rumble into her ear.

She merely sighed in her response. He was still there and reality hadn't fallen down around their ears. Logan was still holding her, and all the boundaries were still down. Rogue leaned up to kiss him again - but it was cut short.

"I've been looking everyw- what in th’ - I’ve been looking for the two of you!!!" Scott reprimanded. "We've got an emergency meeting. Now!"
He turned to leave with a sigh. "And I swear we're locking up this team room!"
Chapter 16 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
He shoved the door open, making it bang loudly off the wall behind him. All heads turned, some looking at him in contempt, others in surprise, but almost all looked wary. Good! They ought to be wary, especially the little brunette with the pouty lips that had concern written all over her face.
He actually thought about knocking, but what was the point? That he'd even considered knocking pissed him off even more. He was already late, and the rest of the team was waiting in there expecting him to barge in. Fucking losers, Victor thought. Nothing but a bunch of hypocrites and losers! What was he doing hanging around a place like this anyway? It wasn't like that bald professor of theirs held him prisoner or anything. It wasn't like that at all. No one had that kind of power over him. No one would ever have any kind of power over him again. He hated the way she made him feel; hated that he even gave a damn because that meant his mind was set on something else besides himself and his own survival. And all for what? Well his little god forsaken angel's days of weakening him were over! If she didn't know it already then she was going to find out.

Victor had seen them leave the locker room together. He'd watched them and they might as well have been plastered to each other, even if they were trying to be discreet. The smell of sex and lust clung to them, filling his senses to the point where it felt like he was going to choke on it. She wore happiness all over her face. Rogue's scent was all over that runt too, and he didn't even have to take a big whiff to know it was the same for her.

Victor knew what her arousal smelled like, what she looked like when she climaxed, what she sounded like. Felt like. But he'd been nothing more than a substitute to her! Well fuck her for making him feel like this! She wasn't worth it and he was going to make sure she knew it.

He shoved the door open, making it bang loudly off the wall behind him. All heads turned, some looking at him in contempt, others in surprise, but almost all looked wary. Good! They ought to be wary, especially the little brunette with the pouty lips that had concern written all over her face. Fuck her concern! It wasn't concern for him because he didn't need it and she sure wouldn't give it. No, for her it was all about the runt sitting next to her.

The only available seat was right across from Rogue, between Jubilee and Kurt, so he took it begrudgingly.

"Nice of you to join us," Logan couldn't resist tossing in.

Victor held his tongue on what he wanted to say, biding his time for when he'd throw everything he could up into his nemisis' face. However, he couldn't go without saying something. His pride wouldn’t let him.

"I thought I better show since the team might need some *real* strength for whatever they got cookin'."

"Can we start the meeting now that Goldilocks is here?" Logan directed towards Scott.

Creed growled low in his chest. Someday he was going to kill that piece of shit!

Rogue's eyes narrowed at his threat towards Logan. "Maybe you would've made it on time if you weren't staying *out* so late," she added, thinking of Victor on his balcony.

He didn't even look at her when he stretched back in his chair. "Well maybe you shouldn't stay up so late either, snoopin' around. Didn't your mama ever teach you it was rude to stare?"

She quieted at his statement, not trusting his judgment to not bring up the incident - and many others - in front of the entire group. Logan was looking at her curiously while she picked at a piece of paper and the rest of the team had gone silent, watching the exchange between the three. Suddenly her chair wasn't comfortable at all but she tried not to let it show, knowing Victor would take it as a sign of nervousness.

Creed broke the moment by taking a deep breath, then sniffing the air dramatically.

"What the hell is the matter with you, Goldie? You got sinus problems? A fur ball?" Logan sneered.

"Just wondering if you finally took a bath runt. 'Cause you smell different. Better," he looked pointedly at Rogue, "*much* better."

She tried to cut her eyes at him without being obvious, making Victor snicker triumphantly.

The three of them had the team's rapt attention, so Scott cleared his throat loudly in an attempt to refocus everyone.

"If you're done talking then maybe we could get started?" he said firmly while looking at each of them in turn, without managing to get eye contact. "Rogue? Logan? Victor?"

"You implying something?” Logan said, ignoring Scott - his focus set on his arch enemy across the table.

Victor shrugged. "Am I? Why don't you ask your little girl if you're so fuckin' curious?" he said, not bothering to hide the scorn in his voice.

Rogue shot him a glance, both annoyance and anxiety painted on her face as her eyes darted between him and man sitting next to her. Victor couldn't make himself look at her, not that he didn't want to, it was just that something felt off. Wrong. *She* was making *him* feel uncomfortable as hell and he'd had as much unease as he was going to take. He wanted to discipline her, yell at her. Hurt her. Yes. Hurt her and you'll be fine.

Logan's eyes narrowed. He leaned across the table and pointed a finger at Victor.

"You leave Rogue out of this 'cause I'm tellin' you, I am sick and tired of you tryin' to fuck things up." Logan rose from his chair while he continued to glare at Victor who sprang from his seat.

"Logan sit down!" Scott commanded, "and that goes for you too Creed. We have things to discuss, but if the two of you refuse to obey my orders then I'm going to ha-"

Victor gave a laugh. "Oh really? *I'm* tryin' to fuck things up? Well as *I* see it," he mocked, "maybe *you* should stop throwing stones runt. I'm not the one with a passion for working out behind dive bars. You're doin' a pretty good job of messing things up yourself."

"You fuckin' bastard!" Logan growled and was about to make his way around the table when Peter grabbed his arm.

"Logan. Scott said this meeting was important," he said calmly.

Logan jerked his arm free, still glaring at Victor, and made his way back to his seat. Rogue eyed him worriedly, but made no move to touch or say anything to him.

"And you," Scott snapped while pointing at Victor with a pencil, "sit your ass down and be quiet. We've more important issues to discuss than what goes on outside these doors."

"I brought the entire team together for two reasons," Scot began loudly, finally gaining control over the room. "Firstly, we've caught wind of some activity from the Brotherhood, this time under Mystique's leadership. I want everyone to be prepared in case we get a call. Second, I need a small strike team to go out ASAP to recover some information. Chances are it could get dicey, so I need strength and it's gonna be quick in and out. I want Logan, Creed, Kurt, and Kitty."

"You think that's wise?" Logan said to Scott. He folded his arms across his chest and nodded towards Victor.

"What - Creed? He's on the team, same as you."

Logan shrugged. "You know his history. Once a traitor always a traitor, and especially in this case ..." he continued maliciously.

Scott sighed. "Okay, I understand your c-"

"Well in *this* case I need to go, especially if the team needs someone that might actually pose a threat," Creed insisted. "Plus, I take care of things that need takin' care of," he added plainly, turning to look at Rogue. She met his gaze and there were hundreds of questions in her eyes, enough to make him divert his own eyes and stare back at Scott instead.

"But I ain't going if it's on her squad," he said, hoping she'd take it as an insult.

"And why not?" Scott asked.

"Maybe because she don't know what the hell she's doing or maybe because I just ain't going if I gotta be on *her* squad," he insisted again.

"Well Rogue's not even going on this mission so that shouldn't be a problem, should it?"

"No there won't be a problem 'cause I want off her team," Victor sneered. From the corner of his vision he noticed Rogue's brow crinkle in confusion at what he'd just said.

Jubes snorted and eyed him. "I thought she was your 'little angel'," she mocked, not loud enough for the team to overhear but enough for him to catch what she'd just said. He glared at her, not taking the bait.

Scott frowned at his statement. "You want off her team?"

"I thought I just said exactly that," Victor growled.
Rogue's voice cut through his thoughts, she was trying to come off like nothing was wrong but he could smell the worry and confusion mixed with threads of anger on her. He was damned if she was going to have any kind of hold on him ever again. She was supposed to be nothing to him. Just like he obviously meant nothing to her. She'd never given a damn about anything except the runt.

"You could at least have the decency to look me in the eye if you're gonna call me incompetent, Victor."

He slowly turned his head to look straight at Rogue and gave her something very close to a smile, but it was cold and didn't reach his eyes. They were as black and untamed as ever.

"I'd call you a lot of things sweetheart, but incompetent ain't one of 'em."

"How 'bout you not calling her anything, asshole?!" Logan growled. He'd heard enough of the man's mouth and his anger was intensifying at Creed's disrespect towards Rogue and his sick use of the endearment. "I don't even want to hear you say her name. One more time, say it one more time and I'm coming over this table to slice you in fucking half and tin man here won't be able to stop me."

Scott took a quick look around. "That's enough!" he said, knowing he was about to lose control of the meeting again.

"Why should you care what I call her?" Creed asked. "Don't act as if you're protecting her feelings either - look at what you do. Don't play her high and might protector with me boy!"

Logan's fist came down hard on the table as he jumped to his feet. "Don't ever call *me* boy!"

Victor was on his feet too. "I'll call you *and* her whatever the hell I want."

Rogue pulled on Logan's arm, encouraging him to sit back down. She didn't know where this confrontation would lead, but it couldn't be any place good. The attention of the entire team was now honed in on the three of them and she knew Victor could rip her entire life to shreds right now. Victor saw the worry in her eyes and the look she was giving Logan. Her hand now rested affectionately on his forearm and it was enough to spur on Creed's ire.

"What's the matter honey?" he cooed to Rogue. "You mad I don't wanna play teammate anymore - sweeeetheeaaart?" Victor drew the words out slowly, mocking Logan while he did it.

As Logan lunged across the table, Peter grabbed him again, this time with help from Hank as the nice doctor moved before anyone could see. Kurt simultaneously reached for Victor, bamfing him across the room towards the door. The team knew it was best for everyone if the two didn't tear into each other, but they couldn't help but watch in anticipation.

"That's it!" Scott shouted. "Meeting is over! Everybody out! Creed. Logan. In my office. NOW!"

Everyone shuffled loudly towards the door, overcompensating for the quiet tension in the room. As Logan headed out behind Rogue, Scott grabbed his arm, staying him.

"A word," he said and it really wasn't a question.

Logan nodded and let Rogue know he'd be out later, but Scott's intention was for the strike team to leave immediately.

Rogue left the room, her body feeling strangely tired and achy. She hadn't realized she'd spent the entire meeting as one big, knotted muscle - just waiting for the worst to happen. Most of the team was already well down the hall, but Rogue felt his presence as soon as she rounded the corner.

"Like the gift I left you?" she heard Victor hiss from a dark corner. He moved towards her abruptly and then he was there, only inches away.

"I said, do you like the gift I left you?"

Rogue just stared at him blankly. Gift. Surely the package in her locker hadn't been from him. Why would he give her a present like that? And why the note on top of it? He'd wanted to apologize for something and she automatically assumed the gift was from Logan. Victor didn't seem to have it in him to say he was sorry.

"I'll have to ask the runt if he approves since it's obvious you're still hard up for him. Wonder what he'd think about seeing you in something like that knowing *I'm* the one that put it on you. Do you think he'd mind?" he sneered.

She couldn't speak, but she couldn't move away, just like she couldn't break away from his intense gaze. He wasn't just angry and jealous, he seemed hurt. Rogue didn't think he was even aware of that fact. Victor was seething with anger, but this time it wasn't with his usual arrogant indifference. Now he was truly furious. Rogue didn't know what he'd do, but she was not going to sit idly by and let him ruin everything. She couldn't beg him not to say anything though, so she was stuck at his mercy. The man didn't know the meaning of the word.

"You'll make things worse. Don't say anything to Logan. Please," she forced out, trying to sound composed.

"Oh, now you beg! To protect him. Answer me," he growled. "You think he'd mind? Do you think *I* mind?! Do you?!” he broke off, his mouth drawn into a hard line. With a final dangerous growl, he pushed past her nearly knocking her to the floor.

Rogue had no desire to follow. It wasn't until later that she found out both Logan and Victor had left with Scott immediately on the mission. She wandered the mansion all afternoon, wondering and worrying about what Victor might do.
Chapter 17 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
Logan knew instinctively the 'she' that Creed was talking about, and his body grew rigid. The lies dripped like venom from Creed's mouth, but he wasn't stopping.
After their mission, Victor found Logan in the kitchen, ruminating over a half empty bottle of beer. He didn't even look tired at this late hour; and he didn't look tortured, making Victor hate him all the more for it. This was the man she saw when she closed her eyes. This was the man that she'd pined for - for years. It was pathetic. The sexual tension between them was obvious, so why hadn't Logan acted on those emotions long ago when the woman in question was practically begging for it? Her whole being screamed out with the need for him to touch her and want her. It was frustrating and embarrassing to watch the way that idiot fought an internal battle that was so obvious, even though he wanted it just as badly as she did. Then ... when it suited him ... the fucking runt tried to take what belonged to Victor Creed? Victor's hands opened and closed into tight, hard fists. Not without a fight, he thought as he made his way to the fridge to get some beer.

Everything had worked in his favor for awhile. The runt didn't deserve her. Hell, he didn't deserve any woman the way he'd acted, like some goddamn uptight monk. Victor would never understand what made Logan deny his animal nature. Why fight what was natural? Someone like Rogue should be taken, especially when she offered herself up on a silver platter. She wanted to be Logan's no matter how many times he'd rejected her. Victor would've taken what he wanted, and never felt a moment's regret.

He would have, but hadn't. Something about her had stopped him from doing what he usually did and he didn't want to think about why. Thinking about her just made him angrier, and the memory of having her naked underneath him, believing at first it had been because she wanted to be there and not because she couldn't have Logan. Victor couldn't breathe when he thought about the last time she'd come to his room. Damn her.

The runt was a fool for wallowing in denial as long as he did. Now he thought he was just going to grab the girl and get off easy? No way. Victor had held back as long as he could, just chomping at the bit for the mission to be over. He wanted to be here, in the closest thing the runt had for a home, when he shredded Logan's fantasy world. See how he liked dealing with how things really were. Let him wallow in that for awhile, Creed thought; let him suffer for having something I can't. The need to emasculate and destroy Logan drew a sneer across his lips ... but he'd do it in a way that wouldn't heal. And he'd enjoy every minute, every second of it. Royally.
Victor finally eased himself down the chair opposite Logan.

"You don't mind some company, do you Logan?" he sneered and took a mouthful of beer.

Logan scowled at him and shrugged.

"Whatever."

"Feelin' testy are we? I thought we agreed to play nice for Scotty boy."

"You wanna ask me somethin' or are you just here to get in my face?" Logan bit off. "It's bad enough that I gotta go on the same mission as you - so whatever you want, say it or leave me the fuck alone."

Victor flashed his fangs in a wide grin. Sure he wanted something, he wanted to erase that grumpy look on the runt's face and replace it with anger. Shock. Pain. And he deserved it; he'd had it coming for weeks. It was time to deliver the goods and set things straight. It was going to be nothing but pure pleasure to rip his heart out.

"No ... just wanted to drink some beer ... maybe reminisce on the good times."

"What fuckin' good times, Creed?" he asked with a snort. "You're life's just full of good times, huh?"

"I've had a few. Rare. But lately ... lately things have ... improved."

Logan raised an eyebrow in disbelief, but didn't ask him to explain.

"All I ever see you chuggin' around here is beer," Victor observed. "You oughta treat yourself sometime. Get a taste of something little more ... top shelf."

Rather than respond, Logan went back to swigging his beer.

"You ever tasted a fine Cognac, Logan?" Creed continued, not needing a prompt. He rolled the beer by the long neck, making it clink against the table. Slow death by torture, he imagined. Oh yes, the son of a bitch in front of him would soon be nothing more than a raving wreck. Yeah, he'd bring out the Wolverine and have it shatter Logan's life into a million pieces. The man was too weak for his own good. Too weak to tame his beast, it was either off or on. Logan had a big problem with it being 'On' - and Victor wanted to cause big problems. All he had to do was give the runt a helping hand, a little shove.

"Maybe," Logan answered, remaining uninterested.

"Oh, you'd remember it if you had. No maybe about it. No forgetting it either. It's warm and sweet ... with just a little bit of fire. Goes down smooth too and makes your whole body burn," he purred.

The suggestive note in his baritone voice made Logan pay attention. A niggling itch in the back of his brain told him it wasn't really booze they were talking about.

"Yeah ... that's it," he continued with a deep breath. "She's just like fine Cognac, isn't she? But she tastes even better."

It was the Wolverine's eyes that narrowed dangerously as they clashed with the Sabretooth's steady stare.

"She warms in your hands when you touch her just right, then whimpers like a lost puppy when she comes. You know the feeling right?"

Logan knew instinctively the 'she' that Creed was talking about, and his body grew rigid. The lies dripped like venom from Creed's mouth, but he wasn't stopping.

"God, she’s so soft too. Soft skin and soft lips ... soft on the outside and on the inside. But she'll rake her nails down your back like a cat in heat when-"

The words were cut off when Logan launched himself across the table at the other man. They both fell back, hard, against the tile floor. Nine inches of adamantium sunk into Victor's shoulder, but he laughed, pushing back and rolling away. Both men stood up and squared off against one another. As Victor's shoulder mended itself, Logan went for him again, grabbing him by the throat, propelling them into the wall with a loud crash.

"You can try to choke the words out of me, runt, but you know they're all true," he hissed, his air supply being cut off.

"Lying bastard!" Logan roared and squeezed Victor's throat until his face was turning blue. "She'd never let you touch her!"

Pushing against him with his forearms, Victor finally managed to knock him back over the table. He bared his fangs in a wide and arrogant way and claws sprang out from each of his fingertips.

"If I'm lying ... how do you know who I'm talkin' about?" he mocked.

Logan stood, losing himself to a snarling Wolverine. "Then say it! Just fucking say it you son of a bitch!"

It was Sabretooth then that leaned forward, both hands planted firmly on the table.

"Say what? That the truth is you denied that sweet southern ass for so long that she came beggin' for me? That you'd rather fuck nameless women behind a dive bar than take what's been offered to you for years?! Years, you pathetic fuck, that you've spent rejecting her! Don't blame me if she got tired of waitin'. She was knocking on *my* door, wanting *me* to make her scream with pleasure, and I gave it to her over and over and over. *I* gave her that and you know what else? She let me do things to her that you can't even spell. She let me touch her in ways you've only dreamed of."

"You sick twisted fuck, she would never *ever* let you touch her!" Logan roared and sunk a claw through the table.

But Victor wasn't stopping. It pissed him off beyond belief that the runt would even try and justify his own behavior, denying what he'd done to her, acting like he actually had the right to decide what she was allowed to do. Like she was a kid and not a woman. If anyone was a sick, twisted, selfish bastard it was Logan. He wanted to laugh into the runt's face.

"Oh but she did," Victor continued maliciously, "and I had *Rogue* purring my name while she had my dick down her throat. I didn't even have to ask her to do it. She came to *me*! I bet you've dreamed about her doing that to you. Seeing those pouty, luscious li-"

Wolverine splintered the table going after him. The kitchen erupted into a frenzy of flying limbs and broken furniture. Blood spilt to the floor, but neither man went down because neither man could. The dry crack of breaking wood was offset by the high pitched shattering of the large picture window. Four hundred plus pounds of animal rage went through the glass and onto the back patio. Kneeling in broken glass, they continued to pummel each other, both exorcising their demons, but knowing it wouldn't help.

Logan knew it was true - the sick fuck had been with Rogue. It was a betrayal, but he had no right to feel betrayed. If he'd had the lack of conscience of Sabretooth - he'd have taken Rogue for himself long ago. At that moment, when the hate and fury roared through his veins, he couldn't remember why he hadn't. She was supposed to be his and he hadn't marked her.

Through sheer determination, he pinned Sabretooth, knocking his head against the pavement over and over until there was a pool of blood seeping out from underneath his long blonde locks. All Logan could see was that monster on top of her, between her thighs, his weight pinning her down. The two of them fucking. He stood up then and spat out a mouthful of blood. His thoughts honed in on one thing and one thing only. Rogue. The enemy was trying to take what rightfully belonged to Wolverine. And he wouldn’t let that happen.
Chapter 18 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
Rogue threw on the favored silk robe and ran out of the bathroom expecting something awful. Taking in Logan's face, twisted into a frenzied mask, she thought she should have prepared for even worse.
Jealous rage shot through Wolverine like Greek fire. He left a battered, but healing Sabretooth in a pile of glass on the back patio. Having no other conscious thought between the kitchen and Rogue's room, he never slowed down before charging through her door. The small lock had no chance of survival as he sliced through it.

Hearing the noise, Rogue threw on the favored silk robe and ran out of the bathroom expecting something awful. Taking in Logan's face, twisted into a frenzied mask, she thought she should have prepared for even worse. He was dragging her smaller dresser in front of the door, blocking it since the door knob and lock both dangled uselessly.

"What happened? What are you doing?" she asked, her voice shaky with concern.

He spun around, stalking towards her, his voice loud and snarling.

"What are *you* doing?!" he roared and put his fist through her wall. Logan's body was vibrating with his basest need to tear apart something. Her tall dresser fell victim as he sliced into the wood, shattering the trinkets on its top.

He reached for her then, his hands closing around her arms, drawing her up and into him. "What the FUCK were you thinking? Creed?!! You're playing the whore for Sabretooth?!"

Rogue blanched, dreading what was to come. She couldn't lie to him and even if she remained silent ... he'd know the truth all the same because her eyes always revealed the answers beneath.

"It's not like that," she tried.

"What's it like then?! Tell me what it's like, Rogue!" he bellowed, skewering her with his glare.

She couldn't move, paralyzed by what was happening.

"I'll fucking tell you what it's like!" Logan hissed. "It's like being kicked in the goddamn teeth! I gotta listen to Sabretooth telling me all about what he's done to you, how you taste, how you sound ... in grand fucking fine detail." His grip automatically tightened around her arms.

"Ow, Logan ... that hurts."

"Isn't that what you want? I thought that's how you liked it," he accused, shaking her roughly.

She shook her head in denial.

"What is it *Marie* - is it the animal you crave so much?" he growled into her face. "You shoulda said so 'cause there's an animal that's wanted to fuck you since Laughlin City."

Rogue's eyes grew huge just before his mouth crashed into hers.

The Wolverine wanted vengeance. He wanted to discipline her for letting that other animal touch her. He wanted to punish her for being something that the man thought he could never deserve, but would always ache for. She needed to pay for this thing that lay between them that could not be controlled. The animal knew she belonged to him and raged against the idea of anyone else having her. The anger and frustration penetrated his kiss. It was possessive and bruising and Rogue wondered what it said about her that she welcomed it, glorified in it.

Logan was just as much a catalyst for all that had happened as she or Victor. She had just as much anger and frustration and wanted to unleash it on him. The cause was now the outlet. He could release all that emotion into her, and she could let it all out just as roughly. Rogue sucked on his lips hard, aggressively, using her tongue, but giving into him as well. As their mouths warred, he backed her towards the far window. When he tore his mouth away, his eyes burned into hers, looking for answers. Both of his hands moved to grab the sash around her waist and tugged her forward before stripping the silk off her body.

Rogue stood naked in front of him and the Wolverine wanted to devour her. Any resistance was gone as he decided to take what he'd wanted for years.

A million different thoughts crashed over her at once. The desperate look in his eyes, her own fear and excitement, the knowledge of what was really happening, and her desire for it to happen. She was scared, but she'd never wanted anything more in her entire life. He wasn't looking at her like a 'kid' now; this look was completely different. She'd seen something like it before because Victor had worn a similar look, and wore it proudly several times. But the look on Logan's face was desperate and it said he wanted to swallow her whole; he was going to have her.

His hands kneaded into her warm flesh, rubbing along her ribcage and traveling higher. They were on her breasts, then her arms, her hips, roughly squeezing and petting and she thought she might come just from the anticipation. Suddenly, he stepped back and, panicked that he might leave, Rogue reached out for him but he only stripped off his shirt. She admired the lean muscle contracting along his torso, the bulky muscle of his chest and shoulders. Rogue bit her lip to keep from crying out.

He closed in, moving her backwards. The cold glass of the window shocked her as he pushed her back against it. He buried his face into her neck, breathing in her scent, the soft caress of her hair, the feel of her body pressed against him. A low rumble emanated from his chest and with his mouth and tongue he made a scorching path along her neck, her shoulders, between her breasts, and centered down her stomach. He nipped and bit at her, sometimes causing a prick of pain but driving an erotic charge through her entire body.

Her quick intake of breath cut through the room as Rogue realized what Logan was doing. He wasn't just kissing her; he was smelling, scenting her and marking a path. On his knees, he knelt before her and pressed his face against her thigh and into the vee of her sex. The chill from the window set off the warmth of his hands and the jolt from his hot tongue now licking at her, twirling and toying and making her legs quiver.

"Oh ... god," she moaned and let her head fall back against the glass.

Hard hands shook her roughly against his mouth; bruising her hips and making her look down at Logan. It was a silent command for her to watch him. His gaze shot up while he continued to lave and fondle, demanding that she see him do it, that she know who was making her feel this. Rogue watched the pleasure dance in his wild eyes as she bucked against him, helpless. When her knees buckled with her climax, he held her up against the glass, positioning himself between her thighs. As he hoisted her up, she felt when he freed himself from the jeans, the hard length of him nudging and pushing against her, rubbing against the slick folds.

"Logan ..." she murmured, wanting to kiss his face, his lips.

Pinning her back, his eyes were harsh and accusatory. "Yes. Say it!" he ordered.

Her eyes fluttered as he continued to stroke her, teasing her opening with his cock.

"Logan."

He entered her with one hard, quick thrust. She was so tight, the resistance strained against him and the distinctive, metallic scent of blood floated through the air. Rogue's sharp cry briefly pierced through the lusty haze as the animal inside him howled in triumph at being the first, and the man was shaken with surprise and guilt.

Holding still, he felt her contract and shudder around him. As she clung to him for support, drawing him closer, his entire being called out for more of her. They both breathed heavily and, adjusting, Rogue began to move against him. Wolverine groaned a response, the feel of her around him, touching him, petting his skin; it was beautiful torture. He began to sway, losing balance, and they fell against the bed. Moving and rolling until he lay on top of her, he remained buried inside.

Rogue could feel herself trembling and she needed more. This was all she'd wanted, but there was something just outside of her reach. His hips jerked just as she pressed against him, and it was there, the promise of it. That was what she needed, more of him, harder and faster. He kissed her, but Rogue needed him to lose control, not hold back to protect her - she wanted the soul baring consequence of their union; his utter helplessness in the face of desire. She was losing herself too, and gave it over gladly.

"M-more," she whimpered - and he gave it to her.

Ankles hooked around his waist, drawing him in, and she pawed the air as he continued to drive into her. Rogue's watery eyes were filled with a wildness that spoke to the darker half of him, the half that wanted power and possession, the half that wanted this moment to be devastating for anyone but the two of them.

They moaned and whimpered together. When he withdrew, it was with strong and capable hands that he rolled her over. He rubbed against her, and wrapping one arm around her, drew her to her knees to make room for himself. He drove into her again, the sensation causing her to clench at the sheets.

Wolverine murmured and purred into her ear, driving Rogue towards the edge. He licked at her skin, nipped her back, neck, and shoulders - enticed by the softness of her, so much delicate and bare flesh. Thrusting roughly, she thrashed just as wildly back against him, their climax building quickly. Darkness crept into Rogue's vision, encroaching until she was in complete blackness just before light exploded behind her eyes and throughout her body. She cried out and unable to resist, Wolverine sank his teeth into the back of her neck just as he spilled inside her. Their bodies vibrating from his growl, he continued to moan and whisper her name. Over and over, it was joyful but he was begging, begging her for something beyond his comprehension.

******

Rogue lay sleeping, curled into his side. No sleep was going to come to Logan, however. She looked so gentle and small next to him; so open and trusting. Staring at the hole in the wall and the damage he'd done to her room, it hurt to remember his raving thoughts from earlier - at least the thoughts he could remember. His stomach clenched at the discolored marks on her arms, tiny abrasions scattered all over her skin, bruises he knew his hands left on her hips and a distinctive mark on the back of her neck. He'd lost control, gone too far ... and it was inexcusable. There was never a moment last night when he could've stopped himself. And if she'd refused him? Logan didn't want to think about it. He didn't think he could ever intentionally hurt her, but he'd wanted to erase that other beast from her forever. No one else had come before him though, not in that way. His animal had still wanted what was his, and Logan let it happen. He'd been helpless to stop it. It had been years since he'd allowed that kind of lack in restraint. It wasn't good, it never was - that she could do that to him, it was dangerous. Dangerous for her and for him.

He'd sworn this would never happen. It wasn't supposed to be like this. What were they supposed to do now? How was he going to fix this? This was only going to cause her pain; *he* would only cause her pain. Hadn't he already proved as much? There was no way to slam the door on what happened, but he needed time, a chance. It was all wrong; this wasn't how it was supposed to be. He could figure it out though, take some time and make it right so he didn’t hurt her anymore.
The animal inside him stirred nervously, anxious and in disagreement.

With a shaky hand, Logan brushed a stray lock of platinum back from her face. Lying there with fair skin and bruises, a tangle of silky hair, and her perfect lips swollen and chafed - she looked like innocence spoiled. If he stayed, he'd make things worse, ruin it. His thoughts were fractured and panicked. He had to think ... he needed time ... to figure out how to fix it.

*****

Rogue reacted immediately to the sound of a motorcycle engine turning over. That sound had always and would always mean one thing to her: leaving. She bolted upright in the bed, eyes darting everywhere. He was gone ... and she knew without a doubt that Logan was the one starting the motorcycle.

Covering her aching body in a sheet, she single mindedly ran out of the bedroom and down the main stairs. It was before dawn and no one was around, but if the halls had been crammed with mid-day student traffic, Rogue wouldn't have cared, wouldn't have even noticed. She flew outside to find him tucking something away in one of the bike's saddle bags.

Too stunned to speak, she simply looked at him, wanting answers to questions she couldn't bring herself to ask. Logan's eyes met hers and in them she saw regret and ... fear?

"I ... I gotta go," he sounded broken. He took in the sight of her, wrapped in a sheet that bore the evidence of her innocence. She was still soaked with the scent of what they'd done, just as he wore it on his skin. He could smell them everywhere and didn't want to get rid of it, but he had no idea how to cope.

"You're leaving?" Her voice sounded so small and as she moved forward, the sheet moved, revealing the bruising inside her arms.

He straddled the bike, studying the ground like it held some answers.

Logan was like a wild animal caught in a steel trap. Regardless of the pain it caused, he'd chew through his own limb to be free. It wasn't her fault though. She didn't understand. He needed to figure it out; what he felt and what she made him feel, the lack of control he wielded when faced with her. He'd blocked it for so long, and now that there was no way to deny it, he had absolutely no way to comprehend it.

"I'm sorry," he said, his voice sounding almost as small as hers.

"You're sorry?" She couldn't think. She was only repeating what he said in the form of questions. When realization hit her, she repeated it again, only louder. "You're sorry?!"

Panic seized her heart in an icy fist.

"You're running ... you're running away! How can you leave? You can't just leave me!" Rogue felt herself choke on a sob. She couldn't believe he was capable of leaving her after what they'd finally shared. All she wanted was to be near him again.

"I have to go. Chuck's sending me on a job," he said stonily.

Her whole body was shaking, vibrating like delicate glass. "That's an excuse. A lie! You bastard. How can you ... after what happened?"

"It's not a lie - and...I didn't want it to happen, not like that. Not like...I don't want to hurt you! I need you to ... I just need some time. It ... it wasn't supposed to happen, not like this. I'm sorry," Logan looked at her now and his face was drawn so tight and hard that it looked like if she tapped him, he might shatter into a thousand pieces.

Rogue forced herself to stop shaking. He was leaving and there was no way to stop him. Regret - that was what he felt after they'd been together. At that moment she knew, if he could take it all back, he would. He'd take back all of last night and the weeks before, all that he'd given her that meant so much. The coldness that gripped her heart moved to encompass her entire body, making her numb and the moment surreal.

"Go ahead then; turn around and run ... you're good at that," she said, icily. She hoped his heart was breaking just like hers.

He flinched at her words. Logan knew he was hurting her but it would hurt less now than it would later. He also knew that he was leaving her in a house where Creed still remained; he hated it but couldn't do anything about it; he *had* to leave. Even as his animal bellowed and snapped in opposition; Logan knew he had to figure it out and he couldn’t do that here – with her. "Please don't make this harder than it already is,” he pleaded through gritted teeth.

"Fine ... how about I make it real easy for you, Logan," she said, her mind and heart finally frozen numb. She couldn’t handle another second watching him leave without breaking down completely, so she hardened her heart. Rogue turned her back, walking stiffly inside the mansion and closed the door on him.

When the sound of the gunning engine reached her ears, her composure shattered. Leaning against the door, she let the tears consume her.
Chapter 19 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
No way could she handle a bright, sunny day today.
The next morning arrived cloudy and ominous. It matched her soul, Rogue thought. No way could she handle a bright, sunny day today.

After the first wave of shock and tears had worn off, she'd managed to haul herself up from the entryway and made her way back to her room. Somehow taking a hot shower didn't feel like it would help things, so she'd curled up, back in bed, and let an exhausted, grieved sleep take her. Eventually she'd awoken, cleaned herself up, and realized she couldn't stay in the room a moment longer. It reeked of him, of her, of them and what they'd done. Her door still wouldn't lock, but she didn't care. Pulling it closed, Rogue had made her way outside. She didn’t care about the whispers of what happened to the kitchen window, she didn’t care who saw her swollen eyes and sorrowful gait. Thankful for the overcast day and the lack of people on the grounds, she wandered aimlessly around the mansion grounds before finally crawling onto a picnic table, closing her eyes, and seeing only Logan's face again.

He was gone. Just like that. He could be back in a few days, few months, never ... with Logan, who knew? She'd gotten almost everything she ever wanted. The animal had wanted her so completely last night, but the man didn't want her or didn’t know what he wanted. So that meant Logan was never really hers, and probably never would be.

Victor had watched her sit at that table for almost an hour, either crying or gazing out into the distance with glazed eyes. He'd never given a moment's notice to anyone else's pain before; had never cared. He didn't really care now, but something about Rogue made her sadness particularly uncomfortable for him and he'd had as much of it as he could stand.

He scooped the crumpled mass up from the picnic table and walked her straight to her room. Unceremoniously dumping Rogue on the bed, he tossed a box of tissues at her.

"Clean yourself up," he said.

She tried to swallow her sniffling, ashamed to let him see her this way. He was watching her, but this time without the usual snide comment.

"Why are you trying to be nice to me?" she demanded, but her voice was cracking.

"I'm not," Victor barked and began pacing.

After a moment he stopped and pointed a finger at her. "You're making a fool of yourself and you're doing it front of everyone!"

Her eyes widened, incredulous. "What do you care?" she demanded of him.

"I don't! But have some goddamn pride! You're sniveling over some runt that doesn't want you? You're not even trying to hide it. You're supposed to be a fucking leader and you're out there, cryin' your eyes out for the whole world to see! You cannot be that weak. Never, NEVER, show them your weakness! You show them weakness and you're finished." He started pacing again and his chest heaved with barely repressed fury.

Rogue watched him with the suspicious feeling that she was awakening some sleeping beast. She tried to speak softly.
"What do you mean ... finished? Victor, no one that sees me upset around here would try to..."

"That kinda weakness and you're as good as dead!"

He pounced on her then, grabbing her sore arms. "Are you listenin' to me?" he roared into her face. "I don't care how bad it hurts, no one gives a shit. So if you're in pain, then find a way to deal with it, but you *don't* fall apart for everyone to see. It's not worth it ... he's not worth it, or are you still too stupid to see that?"

The grip on her arms tightened. "Well are you? Or are you gonna tell me you'd forgive him if he came crawlin' back?!"

Victor shook her as if to try and wake her up, but she was already awake, wide awake - and it felt like a living nightmare crashing down on top of her. Logan was gone. He'd said he needed to figure it out, but it felt like he was never coming back. She wanted to hate him for what he'd done, for treating her like it all meant so little to him, like last night was wrong, like their feelings were wrong. She wanted so badly to hate him, but she couldn't. All she felt was ... nothing; a numbness that threatened to consume her and right now, numb would feel so good.

The one person she didn't want witnessing her breakdown was only inches away and somehow he knew exactly what had happened. They'd never had one serious conversation before, but here she was, being forced to face her reality in front of him. His drowning black gaze had her trapped with fury and something even darker, and just his staring provoked her, challenged her to take the bait.

She turned on him, releasing an outrage she didn't even know she'd contained.

"Don't you dare! Don't you dare talk to me about Logan! Who the hell do you think you are? If I wanna break down then it's my fucking right! I don't care what you say! You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about! What gives you the goddamn right to say those things to me?" she said, her voice shaking out of anger and somewhere deeper still, shame and embarrassment. He had no right, yet he was so very right.

He leaned in close enough so that she could feel the warmth of his breath.

"Because no one else has got the guts to be honest with you - that's why," he snarled.

"You're one to talk about honesty! And what the hell do you know about how bad it hurts?! Huh? WELL?!" she yelled into his face. "I don’t know anyone with fewer feelings and I don't think I've ever met anyone so goddamn insensitive and selfish!"

Victor released her and took a couple of steps backwards. He glared at her then gave a laugh that came out bitter.

"You'd be surprised if you knew angel, so don't ever, EVER, talk to me about hurt 'cause I'm tellin' you ... you have absolutely NO fuckin' idea what you're talking about!" he yelled in response.

The rage flared around him. She'd seen him angry before, like a raging bull, but this was different; it was painful. Somewhere beneath all that fury lay something else, something darker yet flaring with life. This was something she'd never seen before. She didn't think anyone else had either.

"How the hell am I supposed to know?!” she screamed. “It's not like you ever really say *anything* and when you do ... it's because you're up to something. Nothing you say is real - it's all some damn game with you! You toyed with me like it was all big fun! You can't possibly know what MY hurt is like when you've never loved anything in your whole god forsaken life!"

Rogue felt like she was wheezing now. She wanted to spew her bitterness on him because somehow she knew he could take it. He could take just about every cruel remark or accusation she could come up with. Lashing out at him made things feel better. She wanted someone else to feel the pain inside her; she wished she could just release it all on him. If she could only blame it all on Victor, it might ease the hurt.

She wanted to hate someone. She wanted the gift he'd left in her locker to mean nothing and even more she wanted that plain piece of paper on top of it to mean nothing. But he'd been trying to tell her he was sorry. I'm sorry. The one man on earth she knew that would never apologize or feel guilty about anything had in his own way told her he was sorry. She'd never expected that from Victor, never. He'd never cared about anything before. Anything except maybe her.

Her.

As it dawned on Rogue, she felt every single drop of blood leave her face. It couldn’t possibly be true. She managed to push back any kind of remorse or guilt over using him to the back of her mind. I'm sorry.

Maybe he should be sorry! He started all of this, she told herself. Things had been fine until he came here, and then everything went all to shit. It was his fault!

"You must be thrilled now that you've finally got what you wanted,” she spat at him. “Logan took off. Proved you right. Bet you couldn’t wait to rub it in. This is probably what you had planned all along," she said, sounding bitter.

Victor snorted. "You’re so fuckin’ blind. He left on his own because he can’t accept the kinda man he is!” He balled his hands into fists and faced her. "I'll tell you what else he is 'cause I saw him leave: a fuckin' coward, a dog running away with his tail between his hind legs because he don’t wanna face what he is! Is that the kinda man you want? Is it?”

"And you're saying you're better than him? That has to be the biggest lie of all,” Rogue accused. “Yes that’s the man I want! I love him and now he is gone!"

"Love," he said in disdain, like it was a curse, then turned his back on Rogue.

"You're doing it again! What the hell is your problem?" she yelled.

Victor glared at her over his shoulder. "You call me insensitive and miserable and all sorts of things, fine. Think what the hell you want about me angel. Give me one reason why I should care anyway. Did you ever think, for one second, that maybe *you're* not the fuckin' innocent victim in this after all? Maybe you should point your blame somewhere else?"

"Shut up! Just shut up! This is all your fault!!"

Suddenly, the beast she'd awoken, lashed back at her.

"You fucked him! So?" he roared, jabbing his finger towards her. "You got no one else to blame for that! It's what you always wanted, so don't try to lay that shit on me. I told you he would never, never see you that way. I coulda told you this would happen. You want someone else to hurt? Fine! Lay *that* on me, but don't look at me like I caused all this. This isn't my fault, it isn't yours - fuck, it's not even the runt's fault...it just is!"

Victor started pacing the room again before he came to stand in front of Rogue.

"I never asked you to defend me when I first came here, did I?" he snarled into her face. "So don't act like you know anything about me because you don't. You don't know shit about me! But if you want me to hurt too - if my pain will make you feel better ... then give it your best fuckin' shot angel!"

He grabbed her arms again and hissed, "Go ahead, hurt me Rogue."

"No," she said but refused to look away.

"I know you wanna hurt me, so do it. You want someone to pay. Do it! Fuckin' hurt me! Hurt! Me!" he roared into her face.

Rogue shook her head. Maybe she wanted him to hurt, but not like this, she didn't want to cause him pain intentionally. His rage was starting to scare her and looking into those pitch black eyes made her wish she hadn't. She thought about that piece of paper again. I'm sorry.

Victor moved his iron grip to her hands as he pressed them against his face, forcing her to cradle him. When he spoke his voice came out hoarse and vibrating out of repressed fury.

"I'm not asking, I'm telling you! Give me pain. Hurt me and make me bleed, angel. I know you want someone else to hurt. You've wanted to make me pay for weeks so fuckin' do it! Give me all that anger and drain me. If it will make you feel better then DO IT!" He stared wildly at her and the longer he held her gaze that rolling anger seemed to give way to something more desperate.

A heaviness hit Rogue's chest, making her gasp for air as the tears spilled out again. What he'd said was true; it wasn’t his fault. It wasn't Logan's, it wasn't hers, it wasn't Victor's ... it just was - and making someone else hurt wouldn't fix a damn thing. She felt so tired, exhausted by her emotions.

"I don't want ... your pain,” she sobbed in gasps. “That won't ... fix it," she pulled free to run from her room, unsure of even where to go now.

Victor had had enough of her tears. He'd never comforted a single soul in his entire life, but all he knew was she needed to stop crying. Her tears made everything worse. He grabbed her on the way to the door. Unsure of what to do next, he simply pulled her in, shoving her face into his chest.

"Just stop crying," he ordered loudly. "Stop ... crying." He pressed her there, with one large palm on the back of her head and one across her back. "It’ll be better if you just ... stop ... crying," he reasoned.

Rogue thought she'd run dry, but she cried heavy tears, the noise muffled in the cavern of his massive chest. He held her there for what seemed like forever. The one thing Victor didn't want more of was her suffering. What he’d really wanted was to punish the runt; hurt him for always having Rogue's loyalty, for being her first choice and always trying to act like the bigger man. But his intention wasn't for her to suffer like this as a result. Sure, he'd blamed her too for how he felt and wanted to punish her, but for some reason there was no satisfaction in that now. When her tears finally waned, she pushed against him.

"I can't breathe," she mumbled against him, still shaky. "Thanks," she muttered when she turned to sit down on her bed, but she was saying it to his back.
Victor had already turned to walk out her door, not saying another word.
Chapter 20 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
She couldn't stay hidden in her room forever, not when she, as their leader, had a responsibility to be strong. But what good was she when she couldn't even meet her own reflection in the mirror?
It was a cold and isolated place - a landscape that resembled Antarctica more than anything. Ice and snow covered everything; nothing would survive in a place like this. It matched his state of mind, though. There had been a fire within, but all he felt now as he thought about it was cold. He'd survive, he always did, but there were the memories he couldn't get rid off. Images he wanted to desperately erase but didn't have the strength. If he could only remember when everything had begun to change, maybe that was the key to free himself from whatever it was that had him chained. He hated it, and he was going burn for letting it happen to him. You are weak.

Victor let his gaze sweep across the harsh Danger Room landscape. It was real enough, and somewhere out there, hiding, was the enemy. Hundreds of them, for all he knew. He could take each and every one of those fuckers; kill them all until he was the only one left. He was an animal and he didn't answer to anyone. Fighting and killing was what he knew; it was a part of him, and anyone he came face to face with was a dead man. Defeat was something he'd just recently experienced and he was damned if he was going to let it continue. Because in the end, it would surely drive him crazy. Searching for something he could never have - it was destined to become his downfall. The end of what he was.

He charged through the snow. Someone was screaming - no, howling - a sound that pierced through the silence like a bolt of lightning. It echoed across the plains like a wordless battle cry. It was the sound of a wounded animal.

*******************

Rogue had completely lost track of time. How many hours had passed since ... God, she couldn't even finish the thought. Logan had run away like he always did, and too often it had been because of her. He'd always told her it wasn't because he didn't care, and she'd swallowed that explanation over and over. It was just that every time he left, he made it harder for her to accept that excuse. Harder for her to welcome him back into her heart again. And so easily. There'd been times when she'd wanted to hate him for that.

He regretted what happened and she couldn't understand it. He'd stayed with her the entire night. He was her first and what they'd shared was something special. Something she'd dreamed of for years. But he regretted it. Rogue's cheeks burned with shame, a feeling of not being good enough, not being worthy, of being the 'kid' and not what she really was - a woman. A woman who loved him. Long hot showers didn't erase those feelings, but for the sake of her team mates she had to be tough. She couldn't stay hidden in her room forever, not when she, as their leader, had a responsibility to be strong. But what good was she when she couldn't even meet her own reflection in the mirror?

Rogue slipped into another one of her kimonos, a dark green ankle length one. She couldn't wear the black one Logan had bought her; it was only going to remind her of all the things she wanted to forget. Like his hands on her skin. Him inside her. Kissing her. Holding her. With some effort she pushed those images to a dark corner of her mind. She made her way down the dimly lit corridor, relieved the mansion's inhabitants seemed to be asleep. A cup of tea and then she'd go to sleep, intent on not getting up before lunchtime. She was so tired, her whole body felt emotionally drained to a point where she could hardly focus on anything except tea and sleep. But the low energy level hadn't been able to take away her sorrow and Rogue knew she was leaking tears again as she rounded the corner down the hallway. Someone bumped into her.

Rogue wiped her eyes but kept them downcast. She didn't want him to see her like this again.

"Victor ... I'm sorry, I didn't see you," she mumbled and turned to leave, not up to any of his games or lectures.

"Wait," came his voice, raspy and strained. He grabbed her by the arm, forcing her to face him.

A quiet 'oh' was all Rogue managed to say as her eyes swept across Victor's appearance. His posture seemed ... awkward. There were traces of blood on his clothes, and his hair was a dirty tangled mass. Dried, caked blood more or less covered his arms and face and he reeked of sweat. Rogue felt her eyes widen at the condition he was in, but was also relieved when she noticed he was healing.

Rogue wet her lips. She was a little bit freaked about watching him heal right before her eyes, although she'd seen it happen to Logan several times before. It was just something she was never going to get used to.

"What happened to you?" she said slowly and reached out to brush her fingertips over a purplish bruise on his right arm. Had he gone out fighting? If he'd only gone to the Danger Room, his injuries wouldn't be real, unless...

Victor frowned and made a swift movement with his left arm, and suddenly that shoulder wasn't dislocated anymore. He gave Rogue a look she couldn't read.

"I'm ... I meant what I said earlier," he grunted and cracked his neck sideways.

"Okay ..." She wasn't sure of what exactly what he was referring to. He'd said a lot of things, and she had too, things she wanted to forget about.

Victor seemed to wait for her to continue but she didn't feel like getting into a discussion with him again. Rogue knew she owed Victor an apology of some sort, but his silence as he was staring down at her with those dark eyes made it impossible to come up with something. She didn't know what he wanted her to say. After a while he simply left without a word. Rogue had lost all taste for tea.

*****

There was no answer so she knocked again. The door was unlocked. Rogue closed it behind her, leaning her back against it for a moment not sure if she was doing the right thing or not. She found him asleep on the bathroom floor, and as she bent down to check on him an arm shot out and closed around her wrist.

"Victor are you ... are you okay?" Rogue asked and tried to calm her racing heart. He'd frightened her and she didn't want him to know that.

The look in Victor's eyes was untamed. Raw. Very uncontrollable and very dark. There was a glow to the darkness, if something like that was even possible.

"I will be angel," came his answer, barely more than a whisper.

"Can you stand? I mean I can help you ..." He was making her utterly uncomfortable. She'd come to tell him she was sorry. Sorry for what exactly, she wasn't even sure. For lashing out at him - but he'd deserved as much. For blaming him - even when nothing was completely his fault. If she couldn't tell him how sorry she was for everything that had happened then she could at least help him get cleaned up. Hopefully he'd see it as an apology.

"If you can stand, why don't you get cleaned up?" she suggested weakly.

Victor got to his feet, unsteadily, and managed to undress. Rogue kept her mouth shut but failed to remain composed at suddenly having him stripped naked in front of her. It wasn't the first time she'd seen him without any clothes on, it was just that this was an entirely different situation. It was embarrassing in a way, because she remembered what it felt like to have him inside her mouth and between her thighs.

He glared at her. "If you find me so repulsive then get the hell out. I have no use for pity or charity."

Rogue couldn't keep her cheeks from flushing.

"No it's not like that ... it's ..." she stammered and went to turn on the water instead.

"It's 'what' then?" he sneered and stepped into the shower.

Rogue tried to think of something to say but her mind had gone blank with reasonable explanations. She couldn't handle another argument with yet another arrogant and selfish man. All she wanted was to crawl into bed and get a long night's uninterrupted sleep. No dreams, no nothing. By the time Victor finished showering, his body seemed intact. She studied him silently while he towel dried his long hair and the rest of himself.

"You want me to go get Hank?" she said calmly.

Victor snorted. "What's Beast gonna do? I don't need no medical attention, and he can't help me with the rest either."

"The rest? What do you mean?"

"Nothing you'd understand angel," he bit off through clenched teeth.

She frowned. "Fine. I'm gonna go since you seem to be okay," Rogue said and started for the door but Victor's voice had her trapped the moment the words were out of his mouth.

"Don't."

He barely gave Rogue time to react before his mouth was locked onto hers, one hand at her neck holding her firmly in place and the other at the small of her back to pull her close to him. At first, Rogue found herself struggling, pressing the heels of her hands against Victor's bare chest in an attempt to push him away. Moments later her fingers were curled into his still damp hair and she willingly opened her mouth for him. The lines of their bodies pressed against each other so tightly Rogue had trouble breathing but she'd given into the kiss, and Victor gave it to her the way she wanted it; kissing her forcefully, his tongue exploring every inch of her mouth and lips. Licking and biting and sucking. Tasting her. He was kissing her like he was trying to breathe her in. Like she was life.

Rogue was only vaguely aware of her kimono ending up in a pile on the floor. Victor broke off the kiss and relieved her of the nightie. She held his gaze, still short of breath from the intense kiss as he lifted her up and placed her on the counter next to the hand basin. He gave her another look she couldn't interpret as he reached out and brushed his fingers across her right arm. Rogue knew what he was doing but couldn't make herself look at his fingers as they traced the bruises on her skin. He didn't ask her about it either, though she was certain he knew who'd caused them.

"Kiss me," she whispered and reached for him, wrapping both arms and legs around him. She could feel his need; so hard and ready it made her whimper into his mouth as he pressed himself against her. This wasn't going to fix anything, she wasn't foolishly deluding herself, but she needed to feel close to something. To someone. Rogue needed to feel needed, like someone wanted her enough not to let go. And she knew he wanted her; he'd never tried to hide that fact.

Victor put one hand against the wall for support and the other one around Rogue's waist. He watched her head fall back as he entered her in one smooth thrust. There was a moment of hesitation on his part, Rogue thought. She didn't want that, not now, because she didn't want to think - just act. Just have him and let him have her. Something must've shown in her face, and Victor slid back in harder this time. More this time. He drove himself as deep as she allowed him to, meeting his thrusts while kissing him, swallowing his moans as he ate hers in return. The only sound was the sound of flesh against flesh. Of his body sliding in and out of hers. He came hard, and Rogue clung to him, held him close until his body had gone still against her.

Rogue let Victor carry her into his bedroom. The only source of light came from the moon and it painted the room in different shades of gray, silver, and black. He placed her on the bed and lay down beside her, his fingers already making a trail across her collarbone. She inhaled sharply as he brushed her nipples, the mere touch tightening her body in a sweet but aching way. It felt so good, and she wanted to grab his hands and show him the way but she didn't. She didn't want to rush him, she wanted to enjoy the moment of the two of them together. As she felt his hand travel across her belly before ending up between her thighs, Rogue parted her legs so he could get better access. Her whole body ached for his touch, to feel him against her skin in a way that wasn't part of a game. The moment his fingers brushed her most sensitive parts Rogue arched her back off the bed, a soft whimper escaping her lips and turning into a moan. She wanted more, craved it and knew he'd give it to her.

Victor turned Rogue's chin towards him, his eyes intent on her face, her eyes, as he rubbed her clit until she was about to climax. She tugged at his arm, told him without words she had to have him inside her, wanted him to fuck her as she came. He waited until she was only a touch away from getting off then thrust himself inside, bringing her over the edge. Victor's mouth came down on her, and her cry was lost in that deep, hungry kiss. The weight of his body pinned Rogue down into the mattress but it didn't hurt. It wasn't uncomfortable; he wasn't being rough with her like she'd expected of him. This wasn't the kind of man she'd thought Victor to be in bed - his usual demeanor had always told her otherwise. Now there was only the man, nothing more. No taunting, no derogatory remarks. No games. Just him. Just Victor Creed giving her everything she longed for.

He held her hands above her head, their fingers enlaced and his hair falling around them like a golden curtain. Rogue bucked her hips against Victor, and with each thrust he slid over that spot deep inside her that would make her fall apart once more. This was everything she'd wanted from Logan, not just the intense passionate sex, the fucking, but this. The lovemaking. It left a bitter taste at the back of her tongue, what she was doing not only to herself but most of all what she was doing to Victor. She was using him and the knowledge burned and made Rogue close her eyes and bury her face against his neck.

"Angel look at me ... please look at me," he breathed against her hair.

She didn't want to, not really truly look into his eyes while he made love to her. She shouldn't even be there. She should leave for the very same reason she would've stayed if it had been Logan. Because it felt too good, too right. But with the wrong man. Having Victor on top of her, driving himself deeper and deeper inside her, over that bundle of nerves 'til she was trembling with the pent up need for release - it didn't erase that feeling that what she was doing was wrong on so many levels. It was wrong but she was still hurting and needed the kind of comfort he could give her to forget the pain. Moments after her own climax he followed her, groaning into her mouth as he came.

Rogue slid her arms around Victor's neck and rested her cheek against his hair while he lay panting on top of her. For a second, she thought about using her mutation on him, both terrified and curious about what she might see. Of what images there would be this time. So much had happened since that day in the training room. Everything was an emotional mess and she was caught in the middle. It suddenly felt like she was suffocating, the guilt trying to eat her alive because of what she was doing. No - it was all wrong. She wanted to stay but couldn't, she wanted so badly to just snuggle up against his warm body and forget about what had happened in her life up until that point. Victor wasn't going to question her motives or force her to talk about things she didn't want to talk about. Rogue gently pushed him off of her and tried to scramble out of bed. A hand grabbed her arm and pulled her down and close to him again.

Victor didn't say anything; instead he rolled over so he had her cradled against him. His leg was thrown over her, enveloping her with his body. He was asleep within a moment. Lying there on his arm, feeling that naked body almost melt into hers, she thought it should be comforting but it made her want to cry in agony. Either way, Victor wasn't going to notice now.

*********
It was still dark when he opened his eyes, short of breath and heart racing like he'd just woken from a nightmare. He couldn't breathe. When he was trying to move to rise he sensed another presence. Something warm. Bare skin. Something soft. Something that smelled of him, of his touch. He knew that scent, and hated himself for it. Rogue was sound asleep on his arm, her face nuzzling his neck. She looked content, almost. Each breath she let out against his skin hurt. It burned and seared and it was only then that he also realized he was cradling her; his arms around her body, their legs entangled. The lines of their bodies pressed tightly against each other.

Victor managed to crawl out of bed and not wake her. Trying not to look at her because it was all an illusion, he went straight into the bathroom and closed the door behind him. Something cold and sharp. He was staring at that small silvery piece that could bring him back to reality. Back to his usual state of mind. He had to free himself from the evidence of her touch, her scent, the images of her body beneath him, watching her climax and knowing he'd been the one to take her to that point. Remembering that it had been his name that had spilled over those lips of hers. His name and no one else's. He watched as the wound on his wrist healed then raked the blade down his arm again and again. Harder. And again. It was supposed to bring the calm. Control. It was supposed to help but the deeper the cuts the faster and stronger came the images of the two of them together.

There was a knock on the door. Shock showed on Rogue's face as her eyes slowly took in the sight of him, of the scene in front of her. He knew he was covered in blood, that the hand basin was crimson red and not white. And he knew he was still holding the razor blade in his right hand. Part of him had expected her to be disgusted by it, he'd been so sure she'd feel repulsed by what he'd done. Anything but sorrow. Pity. Hurt. Guilt. Anything save those emotions would've been better. He suddenly burned with the need for her to hate him and still he just let her help him get cleaned up. No questions, only her hands on his skin.

She slowed her movements, the palm of her hands still on his bare chest. Victor sensed her hesitate; saw the unspoken question in those dark brown eyes of hers. Just when Rogue was about to take a step back he caught her hands and pressed them against his skin.

"Do it angel," he whispered and held her gaze, knowing she knew he understood. He didn't give a damn anymore what happened.

The absorption didn't last any longer than it did the first time, but it was more than enough. Victor could see it in her face, in the way those deep brown eyes of hers widened in shock and sorrow, then confusion. He staggered and fell to his knees, gasping for air and searching for strength. It hurt this time too, but in a completely different way. Rogue's hands were suddenly cradling his face, trying to make him focus on her.

"You're here now and not ... down there. They can't hurt you anymore," she said softly.

Victor met her gaze, stared into her eyes and knew she'd always be just out of reach.

"No, but you will," he said.

"Don't say that, just ..."

He brushed her cheeks. "And what did I say about cryin'? You gotta stop - it's not worth it."

Rogue buried her face against his neck. It seemed like she'd done nothing but cry since Logan left. She'd used Victor for comfort, used herself in a way, to try and forget; but she couldn't forget about the man she'd been in love with for years. Even worse, she couldn't erase what she'd shared with Victor and what she knew about him, the things he thought about and felt. Why he'd been acting the way he had. He'd let her use him knowing where her heart would always be. It was as if he didn't care about it anymore.

She stayed with him the rest of the night but when she finally woke up, it was closer to lunch rather than breakfast and she was alone. Victor was gone but she was going to find him and make him talk to her.
Chapter 21 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
The runt’ll come crawling back to you, angel. They always do.
The sweat ran down Rogue’s back as she maneuvered her way through the tangle of mangroves. It felt good to have a goal, a target, something to focus on single mindedly. Her thoughts had been a flurry of hurt, confusion, and contradiction for two long weeks. Finally she’d come to an understanding, but to be able to block all of it out and think only of kicking someone's ass, even if it was a simulated bad guy in a Danger Room session, was a godsend. Rogue laughed bitterly at the memory of how they used to have a simulated Sabretooth to practice on; how scared she'd been of him back then. Now he lived upstairs and she felt he was more a threat to himself than he'd ever be to her.

And what was he to her? What were they to each other? It wasn’t love, it wasn’t … affection. It couldn’t possibly be friendship. So what was it? There was no label for what he was to her. Even they couldn’t answer those questions. No one in the mansion even tried - or dared ask. Everyone just gave them a wide berth.

Rogue had already neutralized the primary target, but she still needed to vent her frustration on something. How was it that things went from simply wanting to be with Logan, to the quagmire her life turned into? Faced with the consequences of their actions, Rogue saw the mistakes so clearly now. But what had Creed said about hindsight? It would do nothing to repair the damages now. Still, her mind refused to stop analyzing; turning it all over and over to find an answer. The only way her mind would shut up was if she was too focused or too tired to let it run. So rather than stopping at neutralizing her target, Rogue was aiming for running herself, and the bad guys, into the ground.

His eyes were on her the moment she rounded one of the holographic clusters of jungle palm. There he stood, just like it was the most normal thing in the world; like he’d never left her. Rogue took a moment to stare at him in disbelief. He didn’t smile and he didn’t say anything. He’d come back, just like Victor said he would.
The runt’ll come crawling back to you, angel. They always do.

Rogue didn’t want to think about why Logan was back or why he’d sought her out, standing there waiting on her. Rather than stop in the middle of her training, she continued to hunt down the last of the guerilla soldiers while he stood on the perimeter. There were some things she didn't want to think about at all, things concerning her and Logan but also things that didn't. She wasn't sure if she even wanted to share those thoughts with him. As it was her heart rate went up every time her mind wandered down those paths.

What was there to say? It shouldn’t be up to her to say anything! Let Logan stand there, she thought spitefully. He'd left her flapping in the wind long enough. If he wanted something, he could wait just like she had.

When Rogue finally finished the simulation, he was still there. Hands tucked in the pockets of his jacket, he was leaning against the sliding exit doors and for once actually looked patient. She moved to stand a few feet in front of him, tugged off her uniform gloves and waited for him to say something.

"You shouldn't walk in here in the middle of a simulation," she finally said when he remained speechless. "You could get hurt."

"You don't want me to get hurt?" he asked.

"Not like that anyway."

"Well I guess that's something," he said and removed the few paces between them.

Logan stopped and studied her face.

“What?” Rogue snapped.

He seemed to shake his head to himself, then pushed on. "I needed to see you; to ask you something."

She raised her brow expectantly at him, indicating that he better keep talking.

“What does he mean to you?" Logan asked, his look was solemn and serious.

"Who?" she asked, suddenly paying more attention to her gloves than to him.

"Don't play dumb, Rogue. Creed. What is he to you? What are you to each other?"

She laughed but the sound was brittle and cold. Hadn’t she just asked herself the very same question? And how could Logan already suspect them if he’d just returned? But this was Logan; and somehow, Logan always knew.

"I'm sorry, but ... what gives you the right to bust in here, demanding answers? Who do you think *you* are?" Rogue was incensed that he had the nerve to ask, but in a way, relieved. She was done playing games.

"I'm not demanding," he said evenly. "I'm asking."

"Oh okay," she answered sarcastically.

Rogue paused in concentration, thinking, her eyes traveling around the simulated jungle. Logan didn’t move or look away. It was obvious he wasn't going anywhere until she answered him. But what was she supposed to say? She knew that if she told him what had happened since the morning he left, how she'd spent her days and nights - that he wasn't going to let it go. Part of her wanted to rub it in, give him all the details and make him hurt. Make him hurt the way he'd hurt her. Another part wanted to keep those memories to herself and let no one else touch or taint them.

Rogue sighed. "I don't know," she said very plainly. “I really don’t know,” she repeated, shrugging. “Why? What difference does it make now?”

“It makes a difference to me,” he answered. His voice was still flat, like he was trying to keep himself in check.

“Logan,” she sighed, shaking her head and challenging him. “Now it matters?”

"Yes," he nodded, still looking right at her.

"You know I’ve been with him - while you were gone,” she stated sharply, not knowing if she said it to hurt him or to get it off her chest. Either way she wanted to say it, but there was no need for any more details.

“I know,” he said, his voice strained and he finally looked away. Logan knew it when he returned, as soon as he'd seen Creed in the hall, he knew. It was in the other man's eyes, in the look he gave him, a mixture of conquest but nervousness, like he had a prize that could be snatched away. He didn’t wear his usual smug grin, he looked resigned but he made sure Logan understood who’d kept Rogue’s company while he was away.

Logan knew it was a possibility the entire time he was gone. He'd left anyway, knowing at the time that staying would have done more harm than good. He didn't let himself think too long about it, but realized what happened in his absence didn't change how he felt. His gaze returned to her shortly, still questioning what it all meant.

“I ... I don’t know what we are — were. Comfort maybe,” she looked around for answers. “I think. Solace. I think part of it was ... to use each other."

Logan bristled, "Use each other. For what?"

"To hurt you," she said, skewering him with a look. "Maybe to punish ourselves."

She saw a disturbed look briefly cross his face before he could mask it and look away. Something about that look acted as a lightening rod, charging her fury.

"Oh don't you dare look like that, Logan! You're just as guilty of it as we are."

Logan turned his glare back onto her. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me! You're just as guilty of using me as anyone. You used me as an excuse to hurt yourself and maybe you always have. You weren't happy with the way we were, keeping yourself from me, but you did it anyway. You were a stubborn jackass. It's always hurt you to push me away, but you did it anyway. *You* used *me* to punish yourself."

These weeks without him had taught her a few things. A lot of things actually. Insight was not something she expected to get from Victor Creed, but she had. She saw so many things clearly now, and Rogue could feel the tension spreading through every muscle. Even though she was exhausted from practice, her body and her senses felt sharper than ever. It was the fight or flight reflex when faced with a dangerous situation - and she wasn't going anywhere.

"That night, in my room, *you* punished yourself for that. I never laid any guilt at your feet. You did that. I wanted what happened but you decided it was wrong with no consideration for me — for what I felt. You decided to carry that guilt around anyway, and then just take off. Like that fixes anything!"

"But I hurt you," Logan argued, and in his eyes, she could see that he thought it was true.

"No - you hurt me when you left! You hurt me by denying me. At least what happened between us that night was real. It wasn't pretty; it was raw and scary and beautiful, but it was real. It wasn't some forced reaction that you thought might be right, not some answer or excuse that you think makes everything okay. Finally it was the truth, and you just ran like you always do!" Rogue was breathing heavily. She knew she was ranting, but this had to come out.

"I couldn't stay. I needed to figure out-"

"You left me, Logan. You *left* me. Don't you get that?! We finally make some kind of progress ... and you threw it away."

Logan let out a frustrated sigh, bordering on a growl, knowing he couldn't play the plaintive role any longer.

"I did not fucking throw it away! I told you I just needed a chance. Time. You saw what I did to you! Do you know - do you even have the foggiest idea what I'm capable of?! Do you?!" he shouted. "If you hadn't accepted me that night ... if you'd resisted me - I don't - I couldn't have stopped. I wouldn't have stopped. You think I cared what you wanted at that point?? I wanted, I needed, and I didn't give a fuck if I had to take it to have it! That scared the shit out of me. It still does! You don't know what it's like to have something inside of you that you have NO control over. You can try to fight it, but when it comes right down to it - you are helpless."

Rogue eyed him in disbelief.

"Oh, I think I've got a pretty good idea of what it's like to have a part of myself that I can't control, Logan. And as far as that night - I did accept you! That's the point! And even if I had resisted, I know you would have found a way to control it. I know you. You're not just some animal. You can control it."

Logan shook his head. "Not always. I couldn't control how I feel about you. I was trying to protect you from that and I still fucked it up anyway."

"But why didn't you want me to begin with?"

"I did, but *I* have a conscience."

"So you're saying Creed would have to be without conscience to wanna sleep with me?!"

"No! That is *not* what I'm saying!" Logan growled, pacing with impatience now. "You're more important to me than you'll ever be to him! It makes a big damn difference. It was never about me not wanting you, but I knew what would happen once we crossed that line. I knew what would come with it. That part of me isn't going to be satisfied with just sunshine-y love and sex, dammit! That's the side I tried to protect you from."

He stopped his pacing and moved in close, filling up Rogue's personal space.

"Yes, there's a part of me that cares about you, wants to hold you and protect you...and try to love you; but there's another part. Part of me that wants to break you down. I wanna tear you apart then make you whole again - so you can't even breathe without me. That part wants to take all that you represent and dirty it up - corrupt you until you are something I can finally comprehend, until you are absolutely mine alone. Because then you'll still be precious, but you'll be mine. Then...then you can't belong to anyone else, then you're only mine. You can’t possibly understand that. That's the side of me that I didn't want you to see!"

"Well guess what, Logan! I've already seen it!" Rogue screamed at him, her vision blurring. "I've seen it in you. You're in my head - and as much as you may not want to hear this ... Victor is up there too. He wants the same thing from me, but doesn't bother fighting it. You're not that different from him, you know? You just don't want to face it, because you hate it. The problem is; I can't, for the life of me, stop wanting every part of who you are - and believe me, I've tried. But I'm no one's princess in the ivory tower. Not now ... and I never was! I'm just me."

"And I'm no knight in shining armor Rogue. I'm not," Logan replied, his volume matching hers. "I'm not the good man that you always try to see. I'm not really the hero that tried to rescue you on the Statue of Liberty. That is not who I am."

"Then why do you do it if it's not you?" she yelled.

"I don't know."

"Why do you always come back here to me if you want so badly to leave me alone?"

"I don't know."

"Why do you torture yourself by staying away from me just to protect me, if you insist that you're someone who will hurt me?"

"I *don't* know!"

Rogue stared at him then, refusing to give him the answers. He knew it, and she wasn't going to be the one to say it.

He grabbed her arms, holding onto her like a life line. "Because I can't stop it. I can't stop coming back to you. I can't stop wanting to protect you! I can't stop trying to be the hero for you because it's *all* that I want. I do want to save you and cherish you. I also want to break you and make you mine and then comfort you. Fuck - a part of me wants to hide you away somewhere where you can only be mine. All your looks, every fucking smile and glance *only* for me and I wouldn't have to share it with anybody else. I didn't run because I didn't know what I wanted! I know what I want, and that's why I ran. I don't think I can explain it, but it's always just been me ... even after I met you, that wall has always been there. I knew if I let you in, that I wouldn’t be able to keep you away. You'd have a power over everything that I am. But I realized on the road ... you're *already* in. You already have that power; I think you've always had it. It's not about keeping you away; it's that nothing feels right unless I've got you. And yeah, the man wants you, but this other part wants you too, and not just for a night. All I've ever done is a night and anything more is not something I understand ... and ..."

Rogue watched him. He looked exhausted now, but he was still clinging to her tightly. In her heart she wanted to believe that what he was saying was he'd come back for her. She was thrilled at the idea of him finally returning her feelings, but she'd been through so much - too much to walk out on that limb any more. Why now? After all that happened, how was she supposed to deal with any more? Unable to stop herself, the tears began to slide down her face and she hated it.

"What do you want from me, Logan?"

"Nothing," he insisted, alarmed by her tears. Without hesitation, he began gently wiping them away as quickly as they could fall. "I don't want anything from you. Just you."

She blinked at him, still not trusting herself to understand anything he was saying. "Why?" she asked. "Why do you want me now?"

Logan looked at her like his heart was breaking, but breaking for her. "I don't just want you now, that's what I'm saying! I’ve always wanted you. God baby, you’re not the problem. I am. I can't change what I did, how I reacted. I'm here because I wish I could. It's called regret, remember? And I'm the one that will carry it around like this big, black thing, not you.”

Rogue recognized her own words coming back to her.

"But ... but," her voice dropped a level, "with Victor ... you know he and I-"

"It doesn't matter," he stopped her and he meant it. If she'd take him back now, then he would do his best to forget about the past. "I hurt you and ... people do crazy things when they're hurting. I know that better than anyone. I'm not saying I want to know about it ... but I don't care about the past if you say you still want me."

She couldn't believe it, that in spite of everything, he wanted her even after the time she'd spent with Victor. Even though she knew her time with him was more than just some crazy thing she'd done, she would keep that for herself. Victor had made it clear that whatever they had, it wasn’t permanent. He wanted her, but he wouldn’t be hers — just like he knew she would always be Logan’s. They understood. What she'd gotten from Creed, she could never explain it - and she didn't want to because it was hers to keep. But Logan was here now and he wanted a chance. He’d wanted her all along. Maybe the only reason they'd reached this point was because of everything that had happened. Perhaps she'd never really know, but how could she not give herself this chance with Logan? If he was there, wanting the same thing that she'd always wanted, then her heart only knew one answer.

"I do want you Logan."

He kissed her gently, only intending to comfort her and let her know how much she meant. They should go slow. Rogue thought she only needed comfort now, but those feelings led to something deeper, something greedier. Slowly, like an after thought, they began removing layers of clothing, only to get closer to each other. Needing that connection, Logan pulled her against him. He kissed every inch of her and she kept reminding herself that it was real.

They didn't speak; they'd shared enough words already. With lips and tongue and skin, they began the process of trying to heal. The desire to touch was consuming. It was gently forgiving and accepting, and when Logan slid inside her, this time the man was in control but the animal purred with satisfied agreement.


*********

Logan was back. He'd come back to her; for her. For that she was amazed and in a state beyond bliss. Even though they still had plenty of talking ahead of them, that part of her life seemed fairly stable. She'd excused herself from her squad meeting to go find one of her missing members. Rogue had a feeling as to why Victor hadn't shown up at the scheduled meeting. He knew Logan was back; he had to know since he'd kept his distance and not sought her out at all. The moment she let her mind wander, and she thought about what had happened the past two weeks her chest felt tight. Something was wrong.

The door to Victor's room was open so she snuck in but stopped dead in her tracks. She found him in the bedroom, busy cramming clothes into a worn old bag.

"You're leaving," she heard herself say, sounding more factual than surprised.

He refused to look at her even though Rogue knew he must've heard her come in.

"Victor?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Xavier threw me out so I'm leavin'."

She tried to grab his arm and force him to face her. Something was going on and he wasn't going to tell her any more than he had to. Rogue had never deluded herself into thinking that Victor let her connect, so why did she have the feeling that there was something terribly wrong?

"He hasn't informed me," she said, her hand still resting on his arm. Why wouldn't he look at her?

He became very still but made no move to turn around or push her away.

"Believe what you want," he answered, sounding like he didn't care. Like it didn't matter what she believed.

Rogue leaned her head against his rigid back. He was the one leaving now and it was probably for the best.

"Talk to me,” she murmured and fought to keep from clinging to him, as if that was going to keep him from taking off. She knew it was a futile attempt but still, there was something he refused to tell her. Something that made it hard to breathe.

"It’s nothing."

"Please ... Victor ... no more lies."

He remained silent for a long time, minutes maybe, then finally turned around to look at her.

"I wish I hadn't come here," he said, barely hiding the anger he felt.

Victor thought about the past two weeks. Most of the time they'd spent together was away from the judgmental eyes of the rest of the team. Recalling memories of being on the road with her, he thought of her just sitting there talking or having no conversation at all, of her not wanting anything from him but to be. Hadn't he known even then that one day *he* would return. They’d discussed it, everything, and all that had happened, at length. He’d understood how this would go and they hadn’t lied to each other, until now. It was all so predictable and he'd told her so. He thought about life now. Without her. Not having her around for the few things he really had to say.

"Why would you say something like that?" Rogue searched his face for an answer, but he was an expert at hiding his emotions. He told her this would happen and he’d said it didn’t matter. They could have their time, but he’d said he wasn’t permanent and that’s the way it went. So did she feel his hurt now because he’d lied? She placed her hands against his chest as if that was going to help her break through those invisible walls he kept guarded so well.

He just met her gaze without answering her question. Rogue felt her eyes widen when she began to realize what he'd just told her. What he meant but didn't say out loud.

"You don't have to leave." The truth was she didn't want him to leave. The idea of him being gone scared her, but deep down she also knew he couldn't stay. In another lifetime maybe.

"You told me no more lies, so don't lie, Rogue. Don't lie to me. Don't lie to yourself."

And he thought about watching her naked, swimming in moonlit water. He remembered dragging her down with him; heated breaths against wet skin - the taste and smell of her body, of the longing in her eyes. Had that been for him?

"But you said -"

"No!" he stopped her.

He touched her face; his fingertips barely brushed her skin. She made a sound, something close to a sob, and leaned into his hand before he slid it back to cradle her neck. He kissed her gently, no biting, no tongue. Just a kiss. He kissed her because it was the last time. This was goodbye.

Rogue knew he had to leave. No one could ever move on if they remained this way. Logan would always be the man that had her heart, but she didn't want Victor to go. The words were out of her mouth before she knew it.

"I have to. Xavier's told me to leave so I'm leavin'. You'll be fine angel," Victor mumbled against her lips. She wanted him to stay, but he wouldn't. He couldn't stay and watch her go back to him again. His first reaction was to stay and fight, but the little angel had already chosen. She'd chosen long ago and she'd never lied and said otherwise. Logan was the one she’d always wanted, they’d just taken a crooked path to get here.

Victor Creed was normally the kind of man that might take that choice away from her. Or make it so if he couldn’t have her, no one else could either. But for reasons he couldn't face, the urge wasn't there. He liked the idea of a world with her living in it better than one without her.

"You're thinking about L-" Rogue began but he stopped her with a finger over her lips.

"If he ever hurts you - I'll kill him."

"You don't have to worry, he won't - not anymore," she said and knew it was true.

Victor knew it too. "I know," was all he said before he let her go, picked up the bag and left.

***

Logan leaned his head against the wall. He'd followed Rogue, knowing she'd been on her way to Creed's room to find out why her team mate hadn't shown up at the meeting. At first Logan had felt his anger and jealousy come to life, urging the animal inside to stop his mate from whatever it was she was about to do. He'd wanted to force her to stay away from his competitor, but the man in him claimed he needed to trust her and let her do what she needed to do. So, Logan had followed her and waited outside Creed's room.

Rogue had left the door open, and even though the two of them had kept their voices low, Logan could still overhear every single word. He'd smelled a lot of things too. Worry. Anger. Longing. It made his whole being go tense. What did it mean? There were obviously many things that she wasn't saying. Suddenly his mouth went dry at the thoughts that flashed through his mind, images of what might have happened while he'd been away. He knew Rogue had slept with Victor - his nemesis - but he didn't want to think about why, and why him of all people.

Then, the door opened and Logan watched as Creed stalked down the corridor, carrying an old bag. Their eyes met for a brief moment as he stopped at the end of the hall to glance past his shoulder. Logan met his gaze boldly, a visual testament that he would never give up his position. The next moment Victor Creed was out of sight and out of their lives.

Logan sighed and ran a hand across his face. He was tired, and felt worn to the point of exhaustion. The air suddenly changed and he could taste salt on his tongue. It tightened his chest even more to know that Rogue was still in there crying silently over a man she'd never loved. Or had she? She obviously felt something for him or she wouldn't be upset like this. Unsure if he had any right to ask, Logan entered silently and pulled Rogue into his arms. He wouldn't ask. If she wanted to talk about it, she would, in her own time. And now, thankfully, that's just what they had together. Time.

Rogue buried her face into the chest of the man she loved so dearly. She couldn't remember a time in her life when Logan wasn't vital to her. He was like the sun, with some gravitational hold on her, and even though he'd burned her before she couldn't live without him. It surprised her to learn that he felt the same way about her, but maybe a part of her always knew it. If Logan was her sun, then maybe Victor was like the moon. It fit him, to be shrouded in darkness, constantly waxing and waning, able to manipulate her tides so easily. He was at times so fully visible, but other times so perfectly hidden. That was where she'd keep him too, hidden. Locked away somewhere inside so she could draw that always independent strength from him, but keep him under control - because Victor could never be trusted with free reign.

Besides, she didn't want to live in the dark. Rogue wanted the warmth and light that Logan gave. In his arms that heat and comfort was so evident. For all his denial and even after all that happened, he truly was so honorable and worthy of her trust.

"All I ever wanted was to be with you," she heard herself say. She wasn't sure why it came out or if he even needed to know it, but she felt his body relax into hers and his lips brushed along her temple.

Apparently it was something he needed to hear. It was the truth too; she'd only ever wanted Logan for her mate, and Rogue had gone down a frustrating and painful path to get to this point. It was just, along the way she finally found understanding in the most unlikely person.




The End
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1025