WRFA - The Wolverine and Rogue Fanfiction Archive

Author Interviews - Victoria P.

Email: victoria_p@att.net


Question: Is there anything you'd like to share about yourself? (i.e., where you live, hobbies, etc.) (submitted by Sarah)
Answer: I live in Ozone Park, New York, which is in Queens. I'm a borough girl, born and bred. I can't imagine living anywhere but NYC. I'm a snobbish provincial, I know.

I'll be 31 next month - July 15. Put it on your calendars. *g*

I love to read [favorite authors include Faulkner, Ellroy, Vachss, TR Pearson - I've got more unread books sitting in my living room than ought to be legal for one person].

I'm a huge sports fan - Rangers [hockey], Mets [baseball], Giants [football] and Knicks [basketball]. I also love music - Bruce Springsteen, U2, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, the Doors, 80s alternative stuff - I have a huge CD collection and love making mix tapes [or CDs now, I guess] for people.

I like to hang out with my nieces and nephews -- 3 nieces and 2 nephews -- they range in age from born just two weeks ago to 11 years old.

Other fictive obsessions include Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, Homicide: Life on the Street, and The West Wing. I also love The Sopranos, though I think it was weaker this season, and I've still got a soft spot for the X-Files.

If you're interested, there's a picture of me out there on the 'net [which should disturb me more than it does] at http://hellmouthcafe.com/denizens/victoria.jpg - my hair is shorter now, but all else remains the same.

Question: How long have you been writing and what made you decide to start writing fan fic? (submitted by various)
Answer: I've been writing since I could hold a pencil. I actually had an old Underwood typewriter - it was my Dad's - and a desk in the dining room when I was 8 or 9. I wrote poetry - scads of it, and also several aborted attempts at the next Lord of the Rings.

My mother says I've been telling stories since I could talk, so writing is just an extension of that. I can't imagine *not* doing it.

I think I began writing fan fiction in my head as a child - when I read "Little Women" and Jo didn't marry Laurie. I was scarred by that. That was just *wrong*, so in my head, I had to make it right.

Much later on, a friend and I tried to write a story based on "Interview with a Vampire." Oh, man, that was such a Mary Sue. How embarrassing to think about it now - her name was Jasmine, she was dying, and Louis fell in love with her and offered to vamp her, but she was noble and didn't want to live forever like that, so she said no. ::shudder::

I tried writing Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel fic, but couldn't get the voices down. I've still got an Angel fic I started last summer. Now that I've gotten more secure in my writing abilities, I'm hoping to finish it. It's a comic "La Ronde" type of thing, almost.

Then I saw X-Men: The Movie. Oh good god, I was hooked. Kate Bolin [goddess of fic!] directed me toward "Safety in Numbers" by Elizabeth, and "Distinction" by Molly, and Kielle's movieverse archive at subreality. I was in heaven. Then I was home sick a couple of days last August, and I couldn't get this scene out of my head -- how I thought Logan would come home and what his conversation with Rogue would be. Thus was "Enough for Now" born.

And I haven't looked back.

After writing X-Men stuff, I've been able to finish a few Buffyfics, three of which I think are pretty good. I'm also working on a BtVS/X-Men crossover, but who knows when it'll ever be done. All I can say is, sparks fly between various members of each group.

Question: Do you have any writing experience in other fandoms or outside of fan fiction? (submitted by various)
Answer: I had poetry published when I was in college. I've written copy for brochures, press releases, and done copy editing and proofreading of manuscripts and grant proposals for work.

I occasionally write Buffy or Angel fic. I'm a huge Xanderista, and also a Cordy/Angel shipper. That's it, though. I'm trying to figure out Aaron Sorkin's dialogue style so I can write some West Wing Josh/Donna fic.

Question: What is it you enjoy/like the most about the Logan/Rogue relationship? (submitted by various).
Answer: The near-tragic nature of it.

Here's this man who's only half-a-person, he can't remember most of his life, he's got these horrible physical reminders of this *thing* that was done to him -- this violation of his body, and he's living hand-to-mouth, never caring about anything or anyone but himself.

And there's this girl who can never touch another living being again. So she's been betrayed by her body.

Somehow they come together, and it's so poignant and perfect that she gets under his skin, as it were, and he gets into her head.

And they just deal with it. There's no histrionics -- no "We must - but we can't - but we must!" like other epic/tragic couples [Buffy/Angel comes to mind here ].

You may notice that I rarely write Rogue as being able to control her power -- to me, it's integral to the character, that lack of control. Both she and Logan have had their situations thrust upon them, and they have to handle what life has dealt them. How they handle it is what really interests me.

I think that's one of the reasons I think Scott/Rogue works, too -- that inability to control their gift.

The chemistry between Paquin and Jackman didn't hurt, either.

Question: You are such a prolific writer. When do you find the time to write? (submitted by Alyx).
Answer: Er, um, currently I'm unemployed, so I've got lots of time on my hands. I'm job-hunting. Otherwise, I write on the subway, while I'm on lunch, early in the morning and late into the night. Not ever on work time ::cough:: oh, no.

Question: Do you work on more than one story at a time? If so, how do you keep them straight in your head? (submitted by Traci)
Answer: I've got a ton of stories going at once - at least 13 started right now, I think, I mean that I've got at least a scene written for. I write down my ideas so I don't forget them -- scraps of dialogue or exposition, or just titles.

Each day, I look at the files in Word and see which one inspires me. There's a point in every story where it will suddenly take over and almost write itself. Getting to that point is the hard part, so I write a few lines on Hooker!Rogue, work on the next Achin' to Be, etc. until that point hits with one of the stories and that moves to the top of the list.

Question: Where on earth do you get your inspiration? From everyday events, or is your muse on speed? :-) (submitted by Sorciere)
Answer: Music, mostly. I've got more stories based on lines in songs that strike me as L/R-ish. I mean, if you look at the list of my fics, more of them are named from songs or lyrics than I care to admit. Now, a lot of those have nothing to do with the song [the title "Scratching at the Eightball" comes from the song "Bad Luck" by Social Distortion - the song has *nothing* to do with the fic, but the line totally fits].

Sometimes I'll see something on television -- "Their Little Game" came from an episode of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit."

Sometimes other fic inspires me. Shana's "Prefect Ring of Scars" and Sare's "No Secret at All" gave rise to "Things Change" - I'd been rereading those two fics, and suddenly Rogue had to tell her version of the L/R/S/J story.

"My Time Is Gonna Come" grew out of my distaste for Jean's arrogance in "All of the Animals" by Jane St Clair - it's a hot S/L fic, but I was terribly vexed by Jean. So I had to fix that in my own head.

Reading is also good. I'm slowly working my way through the cliché plots of the romance novel genre. And fairy tales.

Random things people say can get me started. "Inside Me" was written because my betas and I were discussing how much of Rogue would still be Rogue if Logan kept touching her to heal her. And how much was he in love with her, or was he in love with the idea of molding her and turning her into an extension of him?

Do I think Logan's that much of a narcissist? No. But it was a fun idea for a short fic.

Oh, and don't forget dreams. I woke up with the idea of "Soiled Dove" - literally. Woke up and wrote it down so I wouldn't forget it -- "Logan as Bud White, Scott as Ed Exley -- X-Men do LA Confidential."

Question: What do you do with plot bunnies that pop out of nowhere and are too numerous to develop? (submitted by Alyx)
Answer: I write 'em down and keep 'em in a file called "Ideas." Sometimes I offer them to other people. Why? Do you want one? Email me.

Question: Who's your favorite character to write (Logan or Marie)? Who's the hardest to write? (submitted by Jamie).
Answer: Marie is great to write. She's the variable - is she sweet and demure? Sassy and kickass? Is she having a hard time with the stuff in her head or has it all faded and she's almost a regular girl now?

Depending on which idea of Rogue I use, I know what kind of story I'm going to get. I like my world-weary Rogue from "Untouchable Face." She's made some mistakes, but she hasn't let it break her. I also like the Rogue from "All of Heaven Away."

I have a harder time getting into Logan's head. I can easily write him from the outside, and I sort of know why he's doing what he's doing, but writing from his point of view - especially first person - is more difficult for me. Not so much his motivation, but his voice.

I love writing Scott, too. My personality is an odd combination of the three of them, but especially Scott and Rogue.

Jean is the hardest for me to write. When I see her as the perfect, former-model-turned-doctor, perfect woman, yada yada, I just *don't* *get* *that*. In "32 Flavors" and "Alone Again Or..." I tried to make a less perfect past for her, and have her air of confidence be hard-won. That I can understand a lot more easily.

I also have difficulty with Xavier. He's very opaque, very saintly. I like to think he's less than a saint or a superhero. He's a powerful man, and he's probably done things that are a little shady. But I'm never sure. So I just throw a dash of him in now and then. He has a sense of humor, which is too often overlooked.

Question: You often include several other X-Men characters in your W/R fics. Which secondary character(s) do you enjoy writing/including the most? (submitted by various)
Answer: Scott. I have *such* a crush on him. James Marsden is a hottie and Evolution Scott is *cute*. Plus, I understand him. I've very Scott-like. I proofread my email, for god's sake. So my Scott is a lot like me, prone to muttering snarky comments that no one believes he'd ever make, putting up one face for his students and another for his friends.

Having been put into a leadership role at such a young age, he's got to have a certain confidence, otherwise, no one would listen to him. That translates into that endearing cockiness we saw in the movie. I mean, come on! He smirked when Logan shot him the finger/claw. How can you not love that?

And he's a good foil for Logan. They're very alike underneath it all - they like the same women, like fast shiny things, get off on fighting (though Scott would *never* admit it) - and yet very different in attitude. That alpha male jostling for dominance thing is fun.

I'm also trying to include Hank more. Hank and Logan were my favorites from the old cartoon, and how can you not love the big blue guy? I'm also exploring Storm more. She's a wonderful character who was done a huge disservice in the movie, I think. Plus, she's gorgeous, brilliant, and powerful. Yet she never gets any action. I'd like to rectify that. And I'm way too mean to Bobby. I need to be nicer to him. I used to love Iceman on the old Amazing Spiderman cartoon.

Question: Rogue and Scott have a very close friendship in several of your stories (Best Laid Plans, All of Heaven Away, etc.) What about this relationship appeals to you? (submitted by Amy)
Answer: They're the two who have no control -- one can never touch and the other can never see clearly. Those are fundamental things that have been taken from them -- alienating things. Scott's also obviously younger than Jean and Storm in the film. He's closer in age to his students. Rogue, having Logan and Erik in her head, is more mature than most 17 -year-olds. I think there would be a meeting of the minds there, once Rogue got over Logan's residual dislike of the Fearless Leader.

And it's much nicer for her to have that big brother thing with Scott, so Logan can be the romantic relationship. I mean, can you take Bobby or Johnny, as we saw them in the movie, as anybody's big brother? Hell, Bobby looks like *I* could beat him up. And I've always had at least one guy friend in my life who fills the role that I see Scott filling for Rogue, someone older, on whom she might have a slight crush, but who's taken, so he's safe to practice on. And I have an older brother who's really cool.

There's also the fact that, if you have a Logan/Jean/Scott triangle, Rogue really is the unmentioned fourth in that. Regardless of what anybody says about Rogue/Logan, Rogue obviously has a crush on Wolverine by the end of the movie. She's going to be jealous of any flirtation with Jean, just as Scott is. So that's another bonding thing they have going.

Question: Good!Jean vs. Evil!Jean. Plot development aside, whom do you prefer to write? (submitted by Diane)
Answer: Evil!Jean is much easier to write. I like to think I don't write her that often, and if I do, she's got a good reason for her behavior -- like in "Gilded Cages, Broken Wings." As far as she's concerned, Rogue killed one of her best friends. She's going to be irrational about that -- that's human nature. If I ever get around to the sequel to that, Jean's behavior will be explained in more depth.

If I make Jean bitchy I have to have a reason. I don't like fic that just makes her a man-hungry bitch who gloms onto Logan for no reason and thinks she's all that. Why is she like that? I need the "why." Jean's a lot of things, but evil and mean don't seem to fit. Thoughtless, needy, and wanton, I can buy. Evil and mean? Not really. She has it in her [doesn't everyone?], but I think she's basically a decent person.

Good!Jean is harder, but more rewarding to write, because she's a deeper, more realistic character. From the movie, this is my take on her: strong, confident, very influenced by the male gaze - i.e., likes being the center of male attention - well-meaning, but somewhat condescending.

In Achin' to Be I like to think I've captured that Jean -- she has to help everyone out with their problems, or she thinks she does, and she thinks she knows best. She's not "evil", just a little patronizing. I don't think that's far off character, either.

"32 Flavors" and "Alone Again Or..." are my attempts at understanding Jean.

Question: Was there ever an instance where you had solid ideas for a fic but the character(s) said, "No Way!" Where do you go from there? (submitted by Alyx)
Answer: Oh, yeah. Scott. ::vic glares evilly at her Scott!Muse:: Scott said "no way" quite emphatically to a threesome with Logan and Rogue. Sure, he'll shag Logan like a rabid weasel, and rationalize that he's not cheating on Jean, but throw another woman into the mix, and he gets all moral!

Right now, I'm sitting on the story. I'm going to have to totally rewrite/revamp it to accommodate Scott's strange version of morality in this little slashy world I've got going. Not Logan/Rogue technically, so y'all may not be interested. But jenn wrote something totally unrelated in an email to me, and now I think I know how that one's going to go.

Question: When you write a series like "Achin' to Be" or "All of Heaven Away", do you intend for it to be a series from the beginning? Do you know where it is going or does it just evolve with each story? (submitted by Jamie)
Answer: Sometimes.

"Enough for Now" was supposed to be a stand-alone. My one contribution to the world of X-Men movie fanfic. Then I thought about how Logan had come to the decision to return to Westchester, and why he acted like he did in "Enough for Now." So "Turning Toward Home" got written.

By that point, I had four people beta'ing for me, and one of 'em asked what Bobby's reaction was to the events in "Enough for Now." And you see what the results were, eh?

"All of Heaven Away" was originally planned as two stories: "No One Is to Blame" and "The Ghost In You." Colleen asked me about Storm's POV on the whole L/R/S/J thing, which led to "Invisible," which was remarkably easy to write. I could so totally relate to Storm's feelings, having been in that position more than once. But then I had to resolve the Scott/Jean/Ororo triangle.

"Alone Again Or..." wasn't planned, either. I had already started "Love Will Tear Us Apart" when Jean sort of poked me and let me know she had something to say.

Originally, Scott was supposed to take Jean back and Ororo was supposed to move on and fall in love with Kurt [that's why he's the only rescuee named in LWTUA]. Pete, one of my betas, convinced me that Storm should get the man of her dreams and Jean should be alone. Of course, Pete regularly wants to eviscerate Logan for the way he treats Rogue, but that's neither here nor there at the moment.

Once I had Storm/Scott, I had to do something with Jean. And poor Hank needs a little lovin', so I made him pine tragically for her. And that situation will be resolved in the next fic in that series. Then I think I'm going to do a wrap up from Xavier's POV.

Question: Which was the most difficult story for you to write? Which was the most fun? (submitted by Jamie)
Answer: Difficult? Hands down, "Passages." I was so blocked on that thing for some reason. Took months to finish. Months! By the time it was over, I didn't even care if it made sense. I just wanted it *gone*!

Also, "Gilded Cages, Broken Wings" killed me. I lost all perspective on that fic - I couldn't tell whether it was good or not by the time it was done.

My two angsty stories, "The Long Hard Road Out of Hell" and "Keep It Like a Secret" were difficult, emotionally. I like Logan and Rogue. I just want them to shag and be happy. I'm *so* not an angst girl. So putting Rogue through a rape and a miscarriage was *hard*. Especially because I didn't want it to be "Logan comes home and makes it all better and now they're so in love." Because that's not how those types of situations resolve. Both take time to heal from, and both leave deep, deep scars.

I had some very nice feedback on both, telling me I dealt with both situations well. That meant a lot to me, because I know both carry a lot of baggage. I personally don't go for "torture" fic or hurt/comfort, unless it's done really well. I mean, a character doesn't go from being raped to happily shagging the hero in a week or a month. That's not realistic. The recovery is what's interesting, especially for someone like Rogue, who absorbed her attacker.

The most fun? "Faculty Follies" was a blast to write - quick, funny and short. I'm having a great time writing "The Mutant Bride" simply because I adore that movie so much, though I'm in the Pit of Despair right now, both plot and writing wise. Sigh. I had fun with "The Best-Laid Plans" too. Especially the Rogue-Daisy confrontations. And, of course, "A Harbor in the Tempest" was a joy to write, because I got to use all those famous, famous lines.

Question: Which of your fics is your favorite and why? (submitted by Sorciere)
Answer: Oh man, that's like asking what child is your favorite.

Seriously? I love "The Soiled Dove", just because if I'm ever published, that type of noir/detective novel is what I'm interested in writing. It's got action, drama, characterization and - hallelujah! - a real, honest-to-goodness plot. Have I mentioned I suck at plot?

I also love "The Best-Laid Plans" because of the Scott-Rogue friendship, and "The Envious Moon" because of the sheer poetry of it. I'm a poet at heart.

Other sentimental favorites include "Enough for Now" which is the first thing I finished, and "Piece of My Heart" because it's endearingly foofy. I like all my fics, even the really flawed ones that I occasionally get the urge to disown. I mean, I can tell the ones that were just sort of half-hearted from the ones that really mean something to me. I don't know if others can. I'd hope not.

Question: Miscommunication/lack of communication that leads to unnecessary angst is a theme in several of your stories (i.e. Crossing Canada, Keep It Like a Secret, Untouchable Face). What are some of the other recurring themes that you include (deliberately or not) in your stories? (submitted by Diane)
Answer: Forgiveness. 'Cause man, my Logan needs it. Sometimes his head's so far up his ass he can see his tonsils.

Growing up. Accepting people for who they are; accepting yourself. Learning to deal with the fact that there are some things over which you'll never have control. Learning to deal with the mistakes you make and how you might have hurt the people you love. How regret is a wasteful emotion -- you can't change the past, just learn from it and move toward the future. I think movie-Logan needs to learn that. Oh, and you know, communicate. Maybe if everyone wasn't so afraid of coming out and saying how they felt, a lot of problems could be avoided.

I tend not to write with a theme in mind. Hell, I don't even usually have a plot in mind beyond, Logan falls in love with Rogue, but she's with Bobby/Remy/finally over him etc.

But the things I mentioned seem to crop up fairly frequently, now that I think about it. I never even noticed the whole miscommunication thing until you brought it up.

Question: Obviously you are a big "Casablanca" fan. What inspired you to write an X-Men story based on the film? Have any other favorite movies inspired you? (submitted by Diane)
Answer: "A Harbor in the Tempest" was written in response to JenN's challenge to write an X-Men version of Casablanca. She asked for it, I did it. I was amazed, once I started thinking about it, how easily the X-characters fit into the "Casablanca" roles.

Of course, honestly, Scott and Jean would have been better as Victor and Ilsa, but you know I wasn't going to write a Logan/Jean romance. So Bobby got the promotion. I dig Bobby. Have I mentioned that?

Um, other films that have inspired me? Well, I'm working on "The Mutant Bride" which is the X-version of "The Princess Bride," with Scott as Westley and Rogue as Buttercup.

I'm also kicking around ideas for a "My Fair Lady/Pygmalion" type fic, a "Don Quixote" type fic [Rogue as Don Q and Logan as Aldonza], and an AU based on "One Fine Day."

Question: You've written a couple of AU stories, "The Soiled Dove" and the "Off the Corner" series. How is it different (more difficult) to write the characters in an AU setting, as opposed to their traditional setting? (submitted by Elaine)
Answer: Alternate universes are much easier, in that you're not confined necessarily to canon in any way except to make the characters recognizable, but they can also be difficult, when it comes to the mutation aspect of things. Either you have to include the mutations as they are, and sort of fudge why no one cares about it, or create a world where mutants were discovered much earlier than the movie timeline; or your have to get rid of them and make the mutation a part of the character's personality: in Soiled Dove, Logan was a boxer, a fighter who was also a covert ops guy. He didn't have claws but he could outfight anyone who came his way. Rogue was untouchable not because of her skin, but because of her father's abuse. Kitty's constantly slipping and sliding. Bobby's cool under pressure, etc.

Since the mutations are really just another metaphor for differences (color, sexual orientation, race, religion etc.), it shouldn't be that hard to work backwards from them, but sometimes it's a real challenge.

Question: We've seen Stripper!Rogue and Hooker!Rogue...when are we going to see Stripper!Logan or Hooker!Logan? :-) (submitted by Jamie)
Answer: Probably never. I have a Stripper!Scott story in the works, and a possible Hooker or Junkie!Scott idea, but I can't see Logan hustling. He's not submissive enough. He'd fight before he'd hook, and his healing factor doesn't let him get addicted [I think... hmm... there's an idea], and I think he thinks stripping is for women and pansies.

Question: "Empire of the Senses" is a beautiful poetic short piece. Can you tell us how that came about? (submitted by Elaine)
Answer: Geez, all I remember is that I was listening to "Love Is the Seventh Wave" by Sting and the line "in the empire of the senses, you're the queen of all you survey" struck me, because, in the empire of the senses, *Logan* is king. Since he's got these super-senses, how would that relate to or influence how he views or thinks about Marie? From there it was easy. My favorite lines I ever wrote are from that fic -- the part about taste.

Question: What do you think makes a really great love scene? (submitted by Traci)
Answer: Knowing how the characters are feeling and what they're thinking. If the smut doesn't ring true to the characters, it's not good, in my opinion. I can read porn a million places on the 'net. I want to read about *Logan and Rogue* having sex or making love or fucking, not some acrobats with their names.

Don't get too acrobatic, either, I don't want to be wondering "how'd they do that?" or "*where* is her leg?!"

With Rogue, especially, remind me if she can touch or not. Having her touch Logan (or vice versa) is such a shock if I haven't already been told she can control her powers. It pulls me right out of the fic, which is never good.

Also, and this is just me, I dislike those romance novel euphemisms "His throbbing staff of manliness," "her sopping womanly center" - eeww! It just makes me laugh and breaks the mood. Stick with short Anglo-Saxon terms - it may feel dirty at first, but it reads better in the long run. I mean, I'm guilty of "velvet folds" and "hard, heavy length" myself, but I try to keep it from going over the top. I mean, I laugh while I'm writing smut anyway, but "turgid man rocket o'love" is going to make me lose it.

Question: What would your idea be for the perfect romantic getaway weekend for Logan and Rogue? (submitted by Diane)
Answer: NHL All-Star weekend in Vancouver, then a trip up to Denali. With lots of sex along the way, of course.

And maybe Logan could drink from the Stanley Cup.

Question: Do you ever experience writer's block and how do you overcome it? (submitted by Alyx)
Answer: Oh, God yes!

I listen to music, bitch and moan a lot, and generally make life miserable for anyone who comes near me. Oh wait, that's no different from how I usually am.

Seriously, I've usually got enough stories going that I can work on something, even if it's just rewriting the same sentence three thousand times [an or the? an or the?].

Or I edit other people's stuff. When you beta for four other people, plus random one-offs, there's always something that needs editing sitting in my inbox.

I've got no cure for it. Just keep plugging and eventually it goes away.

Question: Have you ever gotten flamed or negative feedback regarding your fics? How do you handle it? (submitted by Alyx)
Answer: I've been singed a little on Fanfiction.net - accused of peddling pedophilia with Logan/Rogue - in a story in which they were merely peripheral! I've also been accused of dumping on Remy to further Logan/Rogue.

If someone has an issue with my fic, and they're enough of an adult to include their email address, I'll write to them and see if I can't start a conversation, even if we don't agree. If they're not brave enough to include their email address in a review, then their concerns aren't worth my time.

If someone flames me, well, depending on my mood, I'll either delete it, forward it to friends for general amusement, or decimate the flamer with my own scathing wit.

At least, that's what I've done with newsgroup flames. I've never been flamed for a story on a mailing list. I hope I never am.

Question: Any advice for people thinking about writing their own fan fic? (submitted by various)
Answer: Read. Write, write, and write some more. Know your characters as best you can. Do research. For god's sake, Westchester is on the East Coast of the United States. Laughlin City [or the real life facsimile] is in freakin' Alberta, which is Northwest Canada. I don't care how fast that motorcycle is, Logan ain't making it home in two days.

Find a beta reader [or three] who suits you. Listen to them. Probably a good 80% of the time, they're right. Spell check. Being technically sound is the first step. Characterization and plot take time [god knows, I'm horrible at plot], but the fundamentals never change. Making sure your stories are technically sound and readable is the barest minimum you can do, and it shows respect for your audience.

Wow. This was fun. Sorry for being so long-winded. If you have any other questions, comments or brilliant perceptions, email me at victoria_p@att.net.