WRFA - The Wolverine and Rogue Fanfiction Archive

Author Interviews - Khaki

Email: rimmette@earthlink.net


Question: Could you tell us a little bit about yourself as a way of introduction? (i.e. where you live, interests, hobbies, etc.)
Answer: Me? Uh, ok. I am a 29-year-old single woman living in Salt Lake City, Utah, an old maid by community standards. I even have the requisite cat. By the age of 70, I hope to have a broken-down house and at least several dozen cats that will eventually turn on me when the food runs out.

In regards to more fannish pursuits, I'm a second-generation science fiction fan, benefiting from my parents' collection of books and movies. Science fact interests me just as much, though. As a kid, I had a microscope and a chemistry set, not to mention access to the family's computers. We had a Radio Shack TRS 80 back in the early '80's. It had no internal memory and ran programs on cassette tapes that looked exactly like music cassettes, but I could do ASCII art and play games on it. Everything's so much easier now with my 50+ Gb computer.

I also enjoy all things related to medicine. I find the human body fascinating, both in how vulnerable and how resilient it can be. I never gave much thought to going into medicine as an occupation, though. Despite my interest on an intellectual level, in real life I'm a wimp when it comes to blood and suffering.

Question: Why did you start writing fan fiction and what do you personally get out of the experience?
Answer: I've made up fan stories since I was a kid, but I never wrote any of them down. They were just a way to entertain myself at night as I waited to fall asleep, and of course, they always wrote me into the universe. Mary Sue, anyone?

When I saw the X-Men movie on opening night, I had an immediate need to know more about the characters, especially Wolverine. Searching for X-Men books resulted in a lot of disappointment, though. I'd expected Marvel to make the most of the movie's hype and publish novels, but the movie's novelization was based on an old script and no new novels followed it. I did buy the Essential Wolverines and several comics covering the more interesting Wolverine stories, but fan fiction seemed to fit my interests the best.

I became a member of the xmenmoviefanfic and wolverineandrogue egroups almost immediately after they started. I discovered wolverineandjubilee.com, fanfiction.net and other, smaller fan fiction archives shortly thereafter. Despite the fact I'd joined these lists and become a regular visitor to several fan fiction sites, though, I lurked for months. Yep, I'm that shy even in cyberspace.

It took about four months before I ever delurked and wrote anything, and even then I only started a round robin on wolverineandjubilee.com. I didn't solo-author a story until three more months had passed. It took me that long to gain confidence in myself as a writer and to come up with a story idea that couldn't be satisfactorily written as a round robin.

The main reason I overcame my shyness and posted is that no one would write the story I wanted to read. I wanted to know what happened to Logan at Alkali Lake and what he found out about his past, the more action the better. The majority of the stories at the time focused on his return to the mansion and his relationship with Rogue, only mentioning Alkali Lake in passing.

That's the best thing about writing stories; the focus is on things that interest me, like action and medical drama, and off of things that don't, like soap-operaish love triangles. Also, because fandom builds on itself, my stories can affect other authors and influence the types of stories they write. It's a win-win situation.

I really love the power writing gives me to manipulate reader's emotions, too. It can be sadistic how much I love a good cliffhanger.

Question: Do you currently write in other fandoms besides X-Men, or plan to in the future?
Answer: I am extremely monogamous when it comes to a fandom. I was into Star Trek for the majority of my teen years. Then, when I finally started to get bored with it, I was introduced to Red Dwarf, a British sci-fi comedy. I spent most of my college years wringing every last bit of fannish pleasure out of that. The X-Men movie came out at the perfect time to become my new fan obsession, and I've yet to move on, although I have dallied with fiction based on other Hugh Jackman movies.

Question: What finally drew you to Logan/Rogue? What do you think are the defining aspects of their relationship, particularly in regard to your stories?
Answer: Unlike most L/R writers, I did not see an instant romantic chemistry between the two characters. My initial interest in the movie can be summed up in one word: Logan. He got hurt and hurt and hurt again, and he has a healing factor so he can take a lot more punishment than the average human and still survive. Not only that, but he's suffered so much physically and emotionally in the past that I can't help but feel for him. Underneath the anger, he has a melancholy that really connects with me.

The writers on the wolverineandrogue egroup are the ones who convinced me of the relationship possibilities between the two. I don't think it was any particular story, just the conglomerate of amazing fan fics over the course of several months after the movie came out that converted me.

To me, Logan and Rogue are defined by their mutations. Logan is a man so abused because of his mutation that he doesn't trust people enough to let anyone close, and Rogue is a woman who, by the very nature of her mutation, can't let anyone close without hurting or killing them. They are two outsiders who have found love and acceptance in each other.

Question: What type of writer are you? Do you plot and plan the story before you actually sit down to write it, or are you more of a "fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants" writer?
Answer: I'm definitely the "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" type. If I already have a story complete in my head, I have no incentive to write it down. I've already gotten all the enjoyment out of it so why bother with all the work of typing it up?

Usually, I'll get the cliffhanger for the first part, an interesting bit of dialogue, a disease or injury I wanna try out on Logan, and I'll start writing. That writing method has gotten me in trouble, though. If I don't know what's going to happen next, then I can't be sure I'll ever come up with anything and the story will stall. I find that my stories work best when I know how the next few parts will end, but not the ending for the entire story.

Question: You've written both multi-part stories and series. Has a story ever gone off in a different direction than you'd planned? If so, do you go with the flow, or try to get back to your original vision?
Answer: Yes. "A Stolen Season" evolved towards requiring a higher rating than I was able to write, and after several weeks of fighting with my muses and complaining to anyone who would listen, I finally dragged it off on a whole other tangent. To this day, I hate even the mention of that story 'cause it failed on so many levels for me. I should have just dropped it instead of trying to force the story to completion.

Question: Is it easier to write from Logan's POV or Rogue's? Do you enjoy getting into the head of one more than the other?
Answer: I can get into Logan's head and hear what he wants to say and do in a certain situation so much more easily than Rogue, although we do get in arguments when I try to edit his dialogue. It's probably because I've done so much more research into his character, comics-wise, that I can empathize with him.

Rogue's something of a mystery to me. I tend to imbue her with personality traits I admire, or my own personality traits if I'm really desperate. I guess she can be kind of a Mary Sue at times.

Question: Besides Logan and Rogue, which X-character do you find particularly interesting to write?
Answer: Hank. His bestial mutation directly contrasts with his high IQ. One would expect him to become an extreme form of the reclusive nerd, living in his mind and hiding from the world. Instead, he's a funny, outgoing guy with plenty of friends.

I like to explore his psychology, but I also just like writing his thoughts and dialogue. He's a doctor, so I can use the more complex terminology I come across in my story research, along with all dem really big words they taught me at skool. ;-)

Question: Which X-character would you most like to meet and why?
Answer: I had to put some thought into this because despite how much I enjoy writing about Logan, I don't think we'd get along. I would be totally intimidated by him, and he would probably think I'm repressed and dull. I don't smoke, don't drink (not even tea or coffee), don't watch sports on TV, am not all that physically fit, and was raised in a home where physical violence was punished more severely than any other offense. Basically, we would have nothing in common.

Of all the other X-Men, I think I'd most like to meet Scott. I'm interested in finding out how well he compares to Minisinoo's, Vic's, and jenn's movieverse Scotts. They all bring different aspects to his character, but overall, he's a likeable guy in each of their incarnations. I find Scott a difficult character to write, and meeting him might help me get a better idea of what he's all about.

Question: Considering Logan's healing ability, one would think it'd be hard to realistically make him sick/injured or put him in a life threatening situation. However, you seem to have no problem coming up with ways! Why do you pick on him so?...what is your attraction to angst and Wolvie-torture? :)
Answer: I pick on Wolvie for several reasons.

First of all, as I mentioned above, I find medical science interesting and Logan is my favorite character. Why wouldn't I naturally want to put them together? Besides, the vast majority of comics featuring Logan involve him fighting and getting hurt in one way or another, but almost none of them show the real consequences of those injuries. They either speed up his healing factor to magical levels or skip forward to when he's mostly healed, thereby passing over what I consider to be the more interesting part of the story.

Second, I'm not a doctor no matter how much I play one with my writing. In the case of any other character, a knowledgeable reader might catch a mistake in my medical regimen where I'd actually killed the character that I thought I was saving. However, Logan's healing factor can compensate for my medical malpractice.

Third, because Logan is accustomed to having a healing ability, he never has to deal with the pain and frustration of a long-term illness or a serious injury. I find it interesting to push him out of his comfort zone and giving him the experience of a body that has betrayed him to see how he'll react.

Fourth, Logan's healing abilities will save his life, conquering illnesses and injuries that would fell any normal human being. Therefore, I can go further and injure him more extensively than any other character and still believably save his life at the end of the story.

Finally, I just love the adrenaline rush that a sudden, traumatic incident in a story can give me. I'm a junkie who needs my regular sufferin'!Wolvie fix.

Question: Detailed medical trauma is a trademark of your stories-- i.e. stroke in "In Sickness & Health", insanity in "Asylum 2", electrocution in "The Weapon", poisoning in "The Price of Love", really gross stuff in "Tale of the Knife". :) Do you do a lot of research to get that realistic, nitty-gritty feeling?
Answer: I don't do a *lot* of research, just enough so that I sound like I know what I'm talking about. I think the most time I've ever spent researching a particular injury or illness was a few hours for a "Kate and Leopold" story that I never actually did write. The film took place only a decade or so after the Civil War and medicine really went through a lot of advancements thanks to the war, so there was a lot of really interesting information to read. The research didn't turn up an epidemic around that time period like I was hoping for, but I'm sure it'll prove useful later, perhaps even for Van Helsing fics.

There are several benefits to doing a little research before and/or while writing a story. It gives the story a more realistic feel, it can help me get a better idea of the amount of detail I want to include in a particular scene, and it can even give me new plot ideas to either include in the story or to use in a new story. Plus, the research I do now makes it easier for me to write fics in the future.

Question: How much of your research makes it into the story? How do you decide what to use and what to make up?
Answer: It depends. The most research that ever made it into a story was in the last two parts of "The Price of Love." The reason why is that the science was kinda my deux ex machina for ending the story on an up note. Usually, though, I leave most of the technical details out.

There are two reasons I limit the amount of details in my stories. One, I'm not a doctor, and I don't do nearly enough research to write intelligently about all the nitty gritty details. More importantly, though, my readers aren't medical professionals, nor are many of them interested in becoming ones. A glut of medical details would be boring to them and bring my story to a grinding halt.

Question: Venom in "The Price of Love", Anna in "The Wedding Vows" series, and Dr. Elizabeth Mason in "A Stolen Season" are original characters that we came to care about. How do you go about creating a character from scratch? What are your thoughts on balancing original characters with canon characters in a story?
Answer: Really? Kewl. :-) One of the reasons I read and write fan fiction is to learn more about the canon characters. Therefore, I only create original characters when I don't know of a canon character that will serve my plot. That's why my original characters are all either children or humans. Well, all except for Venom. I created her because I had an idea for an extreme mutation that I wanted to try out against Logan's healing factor.

Because my original characters are integral to the plot, I use their function in the story as a backbone for their characterization. Venom's characterization was based on her mutation. Anna's was based on her purpose to lighten an otherwise depressing situation. Elizabeth's was based on the need for an intelligent yet cunning woman that could pull off the plot twist.

Question: If you were asked to create a new character for the sequel, what would they be like and how might they affect the Logan/Rogue dynamic?
Answer: Since I do love to angst up their lives, I would probably create a human to torture one of both of them, either physically or mentally. Heck, just look at some of my post "X-Men: The Movie" fics, especially "For Better, For Worse" in the "Wedding Vows" series. That should give you a good idea of what I like.

Question: You're well-known for posing challenges to other authors, but you've also written some yourself. Do you prefer challenges to be very detailed or rather freeform?
Answer: I definitely prefer freeform challenges. If someone sends out a very detailed challenge, it feels like they're trying to get someone to write a story they already have in mind. It can be very constraining.

When I pose challenges, I try to make them as free of rules as possible so more writers might be interested in responding. My focus is on getting writers working rather than on the story their work produces. Besides, I find it fascinating how many vastly different stories can come from the same general challenge.

Question: "Remember Me" was written in response to a challenge and posits a father-daughter relationship between Logan and Rogue. Could you tell us a bit about how you came to write this story and what it means to you.
Answer: Okie dokie. :-)

There were two inspirations for "Remember Me." The first was a line from "X-Men: The Movie." Professor Xavier answers a question by saying, "I am psychic, you know." One day, I was lying on my couch, half-listening to "The Sixth Sense" while trying to recover from a cold when the professor's line came back to me, and I began to wonder if psychic!Xavier could "see dead people."

About a week later, Minisinoo and I sent some emails back and forth discussing a few sentences in the middle of her "Heyoka" series where the title character watches Logan interacting with Rogue and guesses that he might have a daughter around her age in his forgotten past. The idea intrigued me because it would explain Logan's almost immediate and desperate need to save Rogue in the movie. I don't have any children, but the moment my first nephew was born, I knew I'd do absolutely anything to keep him safe. I imagine that connection must be much stronger between parent and child.

I'd been trying to think of a ghost that the professor could see, and Logan's long lost daughter fit my needs perfectly. Once I had the two ideas connected, the story pretty much wrote itself.

Question: Another story form you've written is the Round Robin. How is it different writing in conjunction with others as opposed to doing it all yourself? Helpful, challenging, confusing?
Answer: At first, writing round robins was very helpful. Since I was only one of several authors, I wasn't solely responsible for the quality of the story. Also, the idea that people found a piece of my writing so interesting that they wanted to contribute to it helped boost my confidence. It only became frustrating a little later, when I knew enough about the characters to feel comfortable writing about them on my own.

You see, when writing a round robin story, no one should have an idea of how it's going to end until the story begins to wind down. If one or more of the writers have a direction they want the story to go, they'll most likely be disappointed. This lack of direction is helpful if the originator of the round robin doesn't have any idea where to take the story and hopes that other fans might. However, it can result in a rambling story that goes too long or remains a permanent work in process. Therefore, the person who starts a round robin is responsible for continuing to contribute throughout the course of the story not necessarily to control its direction, but to keep the plot moving and to point the story towards a conclusion when the time comes.

While writing round robins, I learned that the best way to keep other authors participating is to always end my part with a cliffhanger. It compels those people following the story to add simply to get some sort of resolution to whatever problem I'd left the characters confronting.

Question: You have perfected the art of the cliffhanger in such stories as "A Stolen Season" and "The Weapon". :) Do you write and post with that in mind?
Answer: Thank you. :-) Yep. As I mentioned in question 17, cliffhangers were a good way to keep people contributing to my round robins. When I switched over to writing my own stories, I found that they could be just as effective on me. They provided me with an interesting starting place on the next part of a serial story and provided an incentive to keep writing. I also found that there is a lot of perverse pleasure to be had in leaving readers hanging until the next part of a story. It keeps their interest in the story high, and it provides all sorts of interesting feedback/death threats. ;-)

Question: In "Irreconcilable Differences" you explore a darker side of the Logan/Rogue relationship. What are some of the possible dangers, pitfalls, or destructive tendencies that you see in their relationship?
Answer: At the time I wrote "Irreconcilable Differences," there was a glut of stories wherein Logan returned to the mansion on or around Rogue's 18th birthday and they'd jump into bed, going on to live happily ever after. It frustrated me because I don't read NC-17 sex scenes, so there were several stories where I was forced to skip to the end. Also, none of the stories were considering any of the possible consequences of such behavior on Logan's and Rogue's parts.

Despite the connection they made in the movie, Logan and Rogue only knew each other a week or so before he left again. Also, Rogue is very inexperienced when it comes to romantic relationships. Her first kiss occurred at the age of sixteen and ended very negatively. There is no indication that she had any serious relationships during the eight months she was on the road before she met Logan, and most of the stories to which I refer had her avoiding relationships with her peers in favor of Logan. Therefore, she was jumping from her first kiss into a sexual relationship with a veritable stranger.

Some of the stories argued that Rogue had been educated in adult relationships by the memories of the men she'd absorbed. However, memories fade, she'd never touched a woman, and the memories weren't colored by her own emotions and experiences. They could not let her know what a sexual relationship would be like for her or what it would mean to her.

Several of the stories also argued that despite the short amount of time Rogue had known Logan before he left, absorbing his memories had helped her to learn everything she needed to know. However, we judge ourselves by our intentions and judge others by their actions. Logan's memories would have been colored by rationalizations for his behavior. Therefore, Rogue couldn't know how he actually behaved or how he would act in a relationship with her.

When writing "Irreconcilable Differences," I took all of these concerns and created a worst-case scenario for Logan and Rogue. I hadn't planned on them to becoming physically violent with each other. It just kind of grew out of the story. I must admit, though, that I was very depressed that week and had to get these ideas written down and out of my head so I could work towards improving my mood. The story did bring many people down and contributed to the death of the WaR list, but I felt a lot better after it was done and out. It cheered me up.

Question: Are there things you won't write/include in your stories--i.e. do you have your own set of guidelines to conform to from the start?
Answer: Yes. Over the course of writing stories, I've developed a set of rules that I feel comfortable in following. I won't write a story with a rating higher than PG13. I have drifted close to R with some stories, but only in regards to violence, never strong language or sexual situations.

During those months that I lurked online, one of the reasons I hesitated to write a story is that I felt most comfortable with Logan's character, but it seemed he could only be written with a constant stream of swear words emanating from his mouth and/or brain. Eventually, I came to the realization that he could be believably written with a minimum of swearing if I eliminated almost all extraneous descriptors and exclamations in the story where a swear word would normally be used. That way, when I did allow Logan to say "hell" or "damn," it'd have more punch.

In regards to smut, at least my characters now get a sentence or two to imply they have had or are going to have sex. In my earlier stories, you'd think the stork brought the babies for all the evidence you saw of the parents coupling, so I have loosened up a little. Still, I doubt I'll go any further in future stories.

Question: Most of your stories are angsty, but every once in a while a humorous one like, "Bill and Ted's X-cellent Adventure" pops up. Do you find it difficult writing humor? Do you just prefer angst?
Answer: Isn't there a quote, "dying is easy; comedy is hard?" It's true. Humor takes effort. I have to be in the right frame of mind when I get a story idea. Angst and drama come much more easily to me because no matter what mood I'm in, I can always get in touch with the emotions necessary to write them.

That's not to say I find humor writing difficult. When I'm in the mood and have a plot idea, the story usually flows just as easily as my more dramatic fics. The effort comes in the creation of the idea.

Question: Stories such as, "A Life Lost and Found", "Rebirth" and the "Betrayal" series, have included some really original ideas, plots, and character twists. Where do you get your inspiration?
Answer: Oooh, thank you. I do try to be different. :-)

I'm inspired by other writers' stories, by trends in fandom, or even by my own stories. I simply play the "what if?" game. For example, there was an online discussion concerning Logan's powers in relation to Rogue. Someone threw out the postulation, "What if Logan's healing ability was stronger than we suspect and he'll eventually become immune to Rogue's power?" Being the contrarian that I am, I wondered what would happen if Rogue's power was stronger than we suspect. "The Price of Love" was the result.

In regards to the specific stories you mentioned, I was quite depressed at the time I wrote "A Life Found and Lost." I wondered what would happen if Rogue was already lost no matter what Logan did to save her on the statue. I suppose I could have written it as an AU, but I love the challenge of taking the facts in the movie and putting different spins on them. Therefore, if Rogue was already dead when Logan touched her, someone had to be controlling her body during the dogtag scene. Logan would have revealed what had happened and Cody was too weak, so it had to be Magneto.

I don't think anything in particular inspired "Rebirth." I was just what-iffing one day about Logan's escape from Weapon X. Most people stick with the comic!canon established in the Weapon X trade paperback where Logan fought his way out, killing as he went. I wondered if there was another, less action-packed way he could have gotten his freedom, some way that ensured the program's creators wouldn't know he'd escaped. What better way than death?

The "Betrayal" series popped up when I was in the middle of writing "A Stolen Season." I'd paralyzed Logan at the beginning of that story, and he got better. It made me think about the professor's confinement to a wheelchair and what he might be willing to do to find a cure for himself.

Question: About how many stories have you written? Which is your favorite and why?
Answer: I've written well over thirty stories, but my favorite has to be "In Sickness and in Health." It's not the best story, writing-wise, but it was my very first solo effort and I had the most fun with it than any of my other stories. I think that's probably because I was too naive to worry about making it structurally perfect. It flowed so easily from my mind to the page, and judging from my feedback, it had exactly the emotional impact that I was aiming for. Not only that, but I wrote my absolute favorite cliffhanger (quite literally a roof-hanger) in that story. It's probably the most evil I've ever been as an author to my readers, if not my characters.

Question: How has your writing changed from your first stories? To what do you attribute this?
Answer: The biggest change in my stories is the amount of description I use in scenes. In reading some of my earlier stories, the characters could be floating in space for all the setting descriptions I write. I've always been an impatient reader. If I start a long descriptive paragraph in either fan fic or pro fic where the scene is set but no action is happening, I'll skip to the first line of dialogue. I just don't have much of an appreciation for long, lyrical sentences.

That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the need for establishing a setting for my characters. I have made a concerted effort to add more description with each new story I write. This change has come about as I learn more about writing both in practicing it myself and in reading the works of others. There's nothing like the consistent practice of editing my own work and evaluating the work of others to learn more about writing well.

Question: Why don't you write more stories about Logan's belt buckle? Do you have any stories in the works we should be on the lookout for and will you be working on/finishing your WIPs?
Answer: Because stories about the buckle would fall into the smut and/or humor categories. See my answers to questions 20 and 21.

I have several stories in the works, but none that will be posted any time soon. Most of them are WIPs that were partially posted before my health problems arose last year. I am working on all of them, especially "Home Construction, Soul Repair" and the follow-up stories to "Tale of a Knife." I will not, however, be posting any of my work until the stories are completely finished. It's totally unfair to my readers to leave them at cliffhangers without resolutions for so long, and I won't compound my error by continuing to intermittently post portions of the stories.

I do participate in challenges and write 100-word drabbles, so those are more likely to be seen before any of the longer fics are done. Also, I began working on a comic!Logan story months ago that follows up on his death/resurrection in the Wolverine series and brings the plot threads to a more satisfying conclusion. However, that will take some time to complete as well.

At this time in my life, I'm focusing more on my physical and mental health than my fandom obligations, and I can only hope my readers understand.

Question: With the sequel coming out soon, if they pair Logan up with Jean or some new love interest, will you still write Logan/Rogue. How will you adjust your stories or take into account the sequel events? Or will you?
Answer: If there's one thing I've learned from reading L/R fic, it's that other pairings are transitory. How many stories have been written where Logan has a fling with Jean or Rogue gets in a relationship with Bobby while waiting for Logan to return? At least in the fluffy stories, it all works out for Logan and Rogue in the end.

There is no way that Marvel will ever pair Logan and Jean together in a long-term relationship. They've proved that in 30+ years of continuity. I have no fear that it will happen now in the movie.

Rogue has only been paired with Remy and Magneto/Joseph in the comics. Given that Remy isn't in X2 and Magneto tried to kill her in the first movie, I doubt she'll be hooking up with either of them. As for Bobby, I foresee a broken heart for him in the future. Marvel never lets him get the girl.

I won't be making changes to my previously written stories after X2 comes out. They'll all just become AUs off the original movie. Any new stories I write, though, will take off where X2 ended. Although I love to write cliffhangers, I can't bear them when someone else leaves loose ends. I have to resolve them to my satisfaction. I suspect that X2 will leave several things unresolved in anticipation of future movies, so I doubt I'll be left with nothing to write.