WRFA - The Wolverine and Rogue Fanfiction Archive

Author Interviews - J. Marie T.

Email: jmthurston@direcway.com


Question: Could you tell us a little about yourself as a way ofintroduction? (i.e. where you live, interests, hobbies, etc.)
Answer: Well. I'm 33 and perpetually single. I live in the beautiful Willamette Valley of Oregon, on a farm approximately halfway between Salem and Portland. I work in the photo industry and enjoy photography as a hobby. I also like to cross-stitch, though I haven't had time to do anything with that for a while now. In the past I've created my own cross-stitch patterns, including ships and characters from "Star Trek". In fact, I'm proud to say - though it's not at all relevant - that one of my cross-stitch pieces was shown in the documentary "Trekkers" and another is displayed in the den of one of the actors where he looks at it daily. What little free time I have is taken up by my writing and I wish I had more so I could read all of the great stories I've been missing for lack of time and energy.

Question: How long have you been writing fan fic and how many fandoms do you write in?
Answer: I've been writing fan fiction since long before I even knew that there was a name for it. I don't recall exactly when I started, but I'd say it's been a good 15 plus years. I really learned about fan fic during my "Star Trek" phase after finding some fanzines at a convention. Knowing that people were interested in reading original stories featuring those particular characters, I really got into writing. Most of those stories still remain unfinished however. It was during "Voyager" that I finally managed to complete some stories, though I only shared them with a few of my closest friends, and they only got to see the tame stuff. :)

It wasn't until after "X-Men" came out that I got brave enough to share my stories with the world, or at least the world wide web. Also, with the release of "X-Men", my "Star Trek" obsession finally began to wane, so this is the only fandom in which I write.

Question: Mutants, and Logan/Rogue in particular, what's so cool about them...why do they inspire you to write?
Answer: Mutants, individuals struggling to overcome discrimination by the masses, due to fear and ignorance, as well as their own self-doubts, mirror any minority and I think there's a lot of territory to explore there. On top of that, throw in the old "good-vs-evil" and it becomes even more interesting.

Logan and Rogue are so prominent in my writing due to the incredible chemistry between Hugh Jackman and Anna Paquin. My stories have always been driven by relationships and there was so much unspoken between them in the first movie. It's fun to try to get inside and play around with what might happen in different situations.

Question: How long does it usually take you to write a story? How many revisions do you go through?
Answer: Way too long! LOL Actually, each story is different. I've written stories in a couple of hours or days or weeks but most take longer than that simply because of the length. Of course, there are exceptions. I have short stories that I started a couple of years ago and haven't yet finished, while "Two Wounded Hearts", one of my longest stories, only took about a month or so from start to finish. That was also the first story that I ever wrote out of sequence. I would get an idea and just write it out then I went back later to connect all the pieces. I really don't know what the average time it takes is, but I wish I could write faster than I do.

As for revisions, in the past I haven't done much of any and I know that's reflected in my earliest stories. I would write, read over it a couple of times, have someone else look at it then I'd go over it once more and post it. Each time only minor corrections were made, nothing was really added or taken away and I know that those early stories still contain obvious errors. I am currently working on another long story, which may turn out to be the longest I've written, and thanks to some great beta work I've done a lot more revising than I ever have before. I expect it to be one of my best works.

Question: What is the hardest part about writing a story? The easist? The most satisfying?
Answer: The hardest part for me is finding the time and energy to write and then getting the bunnies to wait their turn instead of all swarming me at once. I would say the easiest part is coming up with the idea for a story, considering the number I have in my idea file, not to mention those that are already started.

The most satisfying thing about writing a story is hearing that people enjoyed your effort in the form of feedback. Of course the ultimate feedback is having someone ask to write a sequel/companion piece to something you wrote.

Question: You co-authored the story, "The Long and Winding Road" with Chris. How did that work? (i.e. plot out the story together, split up the sections or POVs, etc.)
Answer: Well, "The Long and Winding Road" really started by accident. Chris and I both wanted to write but each of us was blocked on whatever we were working on so we just started a dialogue between Logan and Rogue via chat on IM. So we chatted and had a great time doing it, which prompted the next chat and so on. We never did really plot anything out so it was interesting to see what the next line you had to work with turned out to be.

We picked characters on the basis of who felt more comfortable writing whom. Chris does a fabulous Logan! I know that I never could have come up with the wonderful characterization that she portrayed. And I think I did an okay job with Rogue.

Then, once we had a few chats under our belts, we decided to try some actual prose. Again, nothing was really plotted out. It started out with Logan coming home and really grew from there. One of us would write out a few lines or a few paragraphs then email it to the other. The writing seemed to flow pretty well that way and I think there was a real element of realism to the story since the reactions were genuine and not planned out ahead of time. We each surprised the other on many occasions by throwing in something off the tops of our heads.

Once things really started to bloom with new ideas and new characters, we did have to do some planning as to how we were going to connect all the pieces we had started. Unfortunately we did have a hard time then working in a more confined space, if you will. New ideas continued to pop up, distracting us from really finishing any one part. Actually there were pieces finished, there was just nothing connecting them to what came before. I can't even tell you how many hundreds of pages we wrote but it was definitely upwards of a thousand or more. We even started other universes so we could play with some of the ideas in different settings. Someday I'd like to go back and see if we can fill in the holes, as I know that there are at least a few people out there who miss this story as much as I do.

Question: Do you feel more comfortable writing the character of Rogue or Logan? Or some other X-character all together? Why?
Answer: Of the pair, Rogue definitely comes more easily for me. I guess I can identify with her more than I can Logan, especially in the whole "trapped within your own skin" kind of way - if that makes sense. I think the character I feel most comfortable writing though is probably Scott. I don't really know why that is, it's not like I have anything in common with him. Maybe it's his complexity that draws me to him. Scott has so many different layers, as a man, a lover, a team leader and a teacher. There's a lot a possibilities available there.

Question: Are you an X-Men comics fan? If so, do you like to include comic elements in your stories even if they are not (yet) movie canon--i.e. Gambit/Rogue, Rogue getting additional powers from Carol Danvers, etc.?
Answer: I am a comics fan now thanks to my friend Doug. Aside from knowing and loving Patrick Stewart from "Star Trek: TNG", I knew next to nothing about the X-Men but I went to see the first movie because I spent a lot of time with Doug and his family and I knew he was a huge fan and was very excited about the movie. I never would have dreamed that I would fall in love with the characters and the ideals they represented. Once I did however, I got online and met a wonderful friend who sent me a few comics (thanks, Chris) and I was hooked.

I started picking up a couple issues, most notably "Ultimate X-Men", though Chris' gift of comics included one issue of the "Search for Cyclops" which got me immediately intrigued by Cable. A short time later I wound up with Doug's huge comic collection when his family moved.

And yes, I do like to include comic elements in my stories. I like giving Rogue the power she gained from Carol, it adds such dimension to the character. I also think it's more exotic to have Ororo's eyes be blue, and more appreciate for Jean's eyes to be green. I'm sure that there are more examples but those are the ones I can think of right off the top of my head. As I have time to read more of the comics in my collection I'm certain that I'll add more comic elements as well.

Question: Time travel, alternate universes, and parallel worlds are often a big part of your stories. What fascinates you about these scifi-ish elements?
Answer: I have always been fascinated by science fiction. Most of my all-time favorite shows and movies are from that genre; Star Wars, Star Trek - in it's many incarnations, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, The Terminator to name a few. I don't exactly know what it is that intrigues me so much. Maybe it's just the infinite possibilities that are presented under those circumstances. It really opens up my mind to more ideas and since I like to try and write stories that haven't been done a dozen times already that's where my ideas tend to stray. I wish I had a better answer than that.

Question: Time travel and all it's implications is sometimes a bit hard to grasp. Could you explain a bit about the ending of, "Future Shock #4: I Had to Know" and how/why it came about, particularly in regard to the Summer character?
Answer: Yes, time travel can be quite hard to grasp. Maybe that's part of my fascination with the phenomenon in that it's a challenge to make things clear as to what happened and why. Sometimes the challenge is met, sometimes not.

You're really making me work here! ;) It's been such a long time since I wrote that story that I had to go back and re-read the ending just to refresh my memory. I don't believe that I had originally intended to write an Epilogue for that story. It ended with Summer leaving her book -- all the notes of details she'd gathered about her family -- with Rogue. The thing of it was that I really liked the person Summer turned out to be and I didn't want to just have her character sacrifice herself.

I realize that I did leave things very vague as to how Summer was actually conceived since Logan and Jean would have known that Rogue and Scott weren't really dead so they wouldn't have needed to comfort each other the way they did originally. Honestly I wasn't certain how I wanted to address that so I didn't. LOL Call it writer's prerogative. Basically I wanted to show that Summer's book and her willingness to cease to exist really moved Rogue. So, despite her own pain, she couldn't accept the sacrifice of the young girl who obviously cared so much about her.

I hope that answered your question, if not, please feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to discuss it further.

Question: In the "Symmetry" series of stories, the X-Men get to see different versions of themselves in a variety of parallel worlds. How is it different writing the characters in such a story, as opposed to their traditional setting? More difficult or more freeing?
Answer: It's different in that I'm not bound by anything but my imagination, which happens to be quite active! It's fun to take an established character and twist it into something else while, hopefully, still staying true to the character and keeping them easily recognizable. It's very liberating for me as a writer and much more fulfilling when it works.

Question: "Two Wounded Hearts" is the first story in the Symmetry series and features a neat role reversal for Logan and Rogue in the parallel world. Do you try to include as many comparable elements between the "real world" and the "parallel world" as you can? If so, how difficult/limiting is that to the creation and development of the story?
Answer: First of all, let me thank you for the compliment. I'm pleased that the role reversal worked, it was never a planned part of the story it just sort of happened to work out that way.

I do try to work elements from the "real world" into whatever parallel they may be discovering. "Symmetry" is a little different than most of my stories/series in that the whole idea was to show the similarities between worlds. Initially it started out as a way to show Logan that he belonged with Rogue because that was how it always was.

The thing of it is though, there are so many variables that can be worked in that I can use different elements for different stories. It would be much more difficult if I had a set of specific elements that had to match in every story. As it is, I'm really free to pick and choose different things to focus on for each installment, so I don't find it limiting in the least.

Question: You have a number of of successful series running. Do you prefer to write series, or do stories evolve into a series all on their own? :)
Answer: Actually, most of the series I have written were never intended to be a series, most notably, "Future Shock". When that story was posted, I received feedback from one particular person who expressed to me quite wonderfully that they had a pet peeve about stories that always sought to "fix" Rogue. I hadn't really thought of it in those terms before but I certainly did from that point on. "Future Shock 2" was basically a rewrite of the first story only the second time around Rogue didn't have to be cured for Logan to see the light. From there another idea sprang and then another, bringing about the birth of a series.

"Frustration" became a series because it was just so long and I couldn't wait to start posting it. It's really one long story in three parts where my other series are more a group of stand-alone stories with a common thread.

"Two Wounded Hearts" of the Symmetry series was obviously open for sequels if it turned out that there was any interest, which thankfully there was. Aside from that, I have only really planned one series, a six-part story, which I have yet to start except for a very basic outline. Oh, wait, "Other Worlds" was also planned as a series from the beginning.

"Shades of Grey" was supposed to be a single story, but since James and Hue endeared themselves to so many people, myself included, I really needed to write more. I have pretty complete back-stories for both of the boys, which I look forward to really fleshing out and exploring at some point.

So, I guess that makes things pretty much split down the middle as far as planned vs. unplanned. I do like working on series stories though; it's nice to have the different universes to play in and different characters to play with. It's almost like having several different homes that will welcome you back over and over again.

Question: Do you find your ideas change over the course of writing a series? How do you keep the tone, storyline, and characterizations consistent and fresh throughout the course of a series?
Answer: I'm sure that my ideas change to an extent. I think I probably write differently than most people. Generally I start with one, or a few, basic points that I want to hit over the course of the story and then I just sit down and write whatever comes. Aside from those main ideas, which usually stay very vivid in my mind, I don't make outlines or write notes and since my memory is absolutely horrible I'm sure that things I might have considered early on come out quite different when I finally get to that point.

Do I keep the tone, storyline and characterizations consistent and fresh throughout a series? I hope that means you think I do. :) I'm not really sure. I think it just sort of happens that way. I do go back to read and re-read what I've previously written, especially if it's been a while since I wrote on a particular series.

For instance, once the X2 bunnies settle down somewhat, I'm long overdue for another installment of "Symmetry". I do have the basic idea for the next story but because of how I ended the last one, I will most definitely have to read that story, probably several times, in order to make sure the new one flows from the old.

Question: There are some notable original characters in several of your stories, such as Chris, Summer, Hue and James. Why did you feel the need to create them--i.e. what purpose do they serve in your stories--and which one is your favorite character?
Answer: Thank you. Hmm, good question. I guess it's easiest to respond about Chris. "Symmetry" needed a guide, a narrator, so to speak. I suppose I could have placed Xavier in that role but I've never been particularly comfortable writing his character. It was just easier to cop-out and make up someone new.

I don't quite recall how Summer came about at this moment. I thought it would be interesting to look at how a Logan/Jean child would affect them and everyone else. I picked her name as a means of bringing Scott into the picture as her father. Since she wasn't a "Summers", she was just Summer.

Hue, however, was completely inspired by a drool-worthy picture of Hugh Jackman from People Magazine and he became the whole basis for "Shades of Grey". There was just something about the picture that spoke to me and once my mind started to work there was no way *not* to create him. Basically the whole story was written around him.

Once I had Hue, I didn't want to leave James Marsden out so I created Xavier "James" Summers. I thought it would be interesting to have Scott and Logan's sons interacting as very close friends, almost brothers, which they really were, though James doesn't know that.

Picking a favorite is really tough. I'm actually working on a story now with a new OC, an old man named Earl, who I'm really quite fond of. If I have to pick a favorite though it would have to be James. He's a smart, sexy, wise-cracker with a heart of gold but who is also deeply scarred and ultimately insecure. I love his complexity and he is so much fun to write!

Question: Hue is not only an interesting character, but also quite complex. How did you approach writing him, especially in regards to his relationship with Logan in, "Shades of Grey"?
Answer: Yes, Hue is definitely a complex character as well. I was lucky in that he really pretty much wrote himself. Again, going back to the picture mentioned above - which I have since manipulated to make his eyes green and is, or will be by the time this interview is posted, in the photo section of my group, X-Worlds (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/X-Worlds/) --there was such an intensity to his gaze, but a vulnerability as well that isn't really Logan.

As far as his relationship with Logan goes, I just really sort of expounded upon and amplified the animosity that many teens express towards their parents. Of course, the fact that Hue was raised in quite a brutal environment, with no real knowledge of how a relationship is supposed to work only adds to the problem, as does Logan's restrictions in that department. In addition you have their mutual desire for Rogue making things worse. Hue was in love with the woman who loved his father. I guess I wanted to show that his love for Rogue amplified his hatred toward Logan, which had already been ingrained in him from infancy.

Question: How did the, "Shades of Grey"/"Family Holidays" series come about and how is it evolving? According to plan?
Answer: Well, as I mentioned above, "Shades of Grey" came about thanks to a picture of Hugh. There was just so much emotion and complexity in his expression and I spent so much time looking at it that, before I knew what was happening, my mind had created this new character.

Again, it was never my intention to write more than the one story but I just fell in love with the boys and couldn't just let that be the end. The "Family Holidays" will continue as time and inspiration allows, and eventually I want to write a sequel to "Shades of Grey"/"Ororo's World". There's also a very good chance that James and Hue will make appearances in some future "Symmetry" stories.

I think you might get the idea by now that I'm not much of a planner, but I am quite pleased with where the series has been and where I would like to see it go in the future.

Question: The "Frustration" series dealt with the sexual tension between Logan & Rogue and it's eventual release. What do you think makes a really good love/sex scene?
Answer: Emotion. Love and sex are nothing without emotion. I know I tend to write quite graphic love scenes but it's really the underlying emotion that makes the scene for me.

Question: In regards to writing love/sex scenes, do you find it easy, difficult, or somewhere in between?
Answer: I don't usually have a problem writing love/sex scenes. They seem to come pretty naturally for me, though there are times when I do have some difficulty with them. Fortunately for me, I always have enough stories going that I can usually find something to work on if I'm having a tough time with a particular type of scene.

Question: Almost every writer at some point or another suffers from writer's block. Have you ever had that problem and if so, how do you get past it?
Answer: Oh yes! Most of the time my problem is more that I have too many different stories trying to come out all at once. When that happens I'll go from one story to another until something sparks louder than everything else and that's what I work on. If I'm blocked on a particular kind of scene, I just move on to another story where something else is going on. Sometimes though I just have to wait out the writer's block. I'll take a couple days off without looking at anything and then come back with fresh eyes.

Question: The title for the story, "After High School, Before College" comes from a line in the movie and is a good description of the story. How do you usually choose your titles?
Answer: In all honesty, I have a really difficult time with titles. Aside from the six-part series I mentioned before for which I already have titles, that is almost always the last thing I come up with. Take "Shades of Grey" for instance. When I started writing that story, the boys were "James" and "Hugh". I'm horrible at picking out names for characters too and I figured I'd change them to something else later. As I was writing, "Hugh" became "Hue" because of the darkness that Magneto attempted to instill in him. From there, hue, meaning color or shade, and grey, as in Jean Grey being mother to both of the guys, became "Shades of Grey."

Usually my titles come from either something completely convoluted like that or, if I'm lucky, something of some importance to the story will stick out for a title, like "Two Wounded Hearts".

Question: Which of your stories is your personal favorite and why?
Answer: Oh man, that's a really tough question.

The story that keeps coming to mind is one that most of you probably haven't read. "Circle of Life" is a very short story inspired by a challenge to show the effects resulting from a member of the X-Men suffering a stroke. Scott became the center of the story though it is really Jean and especially Nathan (Scott's son, AKA Cable) that are the real victims. That was a very difficult story to write, very emotional for me, but I got through it and I'm quite proud of the piece. It was also the first story that I ever considered sharing with my mom.

Of my stories featuring Logan/Rogue, two favorites come to mind. The first is "Two Wounded Hearts". I loved writing that story and it came so easily. The role reversal between Logan and Marie turned out quite interestingly and I have to admit that I really enjoyed writing Jean in such a playfully manner. I also loved the relationship that developed between Logan and Scott in that story.

My other favorite is "Shades of Grey". I had great fun creating Hue and James, not to mention that whole storyline. I liked exploring the similarities and differences between Hue/Logan and James/Scott. SOG also provided the challenge of writing a couple of pretty in-depth action scenes that I'm quite proud of. Mostly though, it's one of my favorites because of all the complex relationships that I got to explore.

Question: What sort of feedback have you gotten on your stories and how important is it to you?
Answer: I have gotten some extremely in-depth and absolutely wonderful feedback, and I've gotten some very short but also nice feedback. I love the first kind, but I'm happy to receive the other as well. I think all authors like to know that there effort is worth something to someone and feedback is really the only way we have to know that.

There is nothing better than getting an email that's almost as long as the story you posted. I love hearing what the readers think I did right, or well. At the same time, I also want to know what they think I could have done differently. I have written sequels/companion pieces to stories before simply because of feedback and I'm sure that I will again.

I think all feedback is good, as long as it doesn't contain flames. There are ways to put a positive spin on something negative and I've been incredibly lucky in that I haven't had to deal with anything nasty, though I know it could happen at any time.

Feedback is very important to me, as I think it is for all writers, especially in fan fic. We spend time and energy pouring our hearts and souls into a story and the only reward we get is feedback. It's really the only way to judge our success, or lack thereof, as the case may be.

Question: Has the X2 sequel (and its lack of Logan/Rogue interaction) changed your view of the couple? Is there still enough inspiration to sustain your writing of them?
Answer: Nope, it didn't change my view of them in the least. I tried to stay pretty spoiler-free so I went into the movie without much expectation as far as L/R, though I was still disappointed by some of what happened.

I was pleased to see some chemistry between certain other characters that will now be reflected in my stories as well, but I'm still plenty inspired to continue writing Logan/Rogue.

Question: What three specific things would you have like to have seen changed or done differently in the sequel in regards to Logan and Rogue?
Answer: First, I would have liked to have seen the return of the tags mean just as much as the giving of the tags did in the first movie. The scene played out like the afterthought that I believe it was. 'OK, Logan needs the tags so he can throw them at Stryker at the movie's end so just toss 'em at him while you flee the attack on the mansion.'

Second, a little more reaction on Logan's part when Rogue was sucked out the back of the jet would have been nice. In the first movie he promised to look after her and granted, there wasn't much of anything he could've done to help her, but show some sorrow or distress. And a 'thank you' to Kurt for saving her would have been appropriate, too.

Finally, I would have liked to have seen the characterizations stay the same between the two movies. Logan was trying way too hard with Jean, he seemed really desperate, which will actually work in my favor in regards to a couple of stories, but I would've liked to see him not acting like a love-struck teen. Likewise, Rogue was inconsistent through the movie as well as between movies. After Logan stabbed her in X1 she knocked him out and she was in contact with him far shorter a period than she held onto Pyro in X2 and he didn't even lose consciousness. Also, having her run around with next to nothing on and having no one be concerned by that bothered me. If she's learned some control, great, mention that, if not than be consistent. Only a couple of months, tops, passed between movies, the characters shouldn't have changed that much. I guess what I'm saying is I would've liked to have had better writing, more follow-through from the first movie to the second.

Question: Can you tell us what stories you have in the works right now and do you have your own website?
Answer: Well, currently I have 7 stories that I'm actively working on, some more than others, and a couple more that are trying to crowd in. Of the 7, four are directly connected to X2, one features Logan being called on his desperation in regards to Jean; another has Kurt supporting Ororo while she in turn supports Scott, the third revolves around Colossus mostly as he gets the kids to safety, and the last one belongs in the "Other Worlds" series. Another in that series is also in the works, as is a story I started close to two years ago and have recently found some renewed inspiration for. Lastly, the long story that I alluded to earlier features both Scott and Logan looking for answers to their pasts, though not together. That story actually features a Scott/Rogue pairing though there is some question at this point how the story will end; it's entirely possible that I'll write two different endings.

One of the stories attempting to crowd in will most likely wind up as part of the Symmetry series and while I haven't actually written anything on it I have been thinking about it quite a lot.

As for a website, unfortunately, no, I don't have one of my own. I would love to have one but with limited time and very little knowledge of computers I don't see that changing anytime soon.