WRFA - The Wolverine and Rogue Fanfiction Archive

Author Interviews - J. Hallmark

Email: arabian@ite.net


Thanks, again, to those who submitted questions for the interview
-- Sarah

Question: Is there anything you'd like to share about yourself? (i.e. your location, hobbies, etc) (submitted by Sarah)
Answer: I live on Guam, small island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, live on my own with four cats that I adore.

Question: How long have you been writing and what made you decide to start writing fan fic? (submitted by various)
Answer: I've been writing since I was about 9 or 10. First started with songs, and then poems. I wrote a few short stories, many an unfinished novel and screenplay. At about 20 I wrote my first fanfic for "Twin Peaks" because a friend of mine had a 'zine and suggested I do so. That was my first introduction to any kind of fanfic. It wasn't until I discovered the internet and "The X-Files" fanfic world that I really began to see what a wonderful outlet it was for all of the different stories that I was constantly making up in my head about the shows/movies/couples I loved.

Question: Do you have any writing experience in other fandoms or outside of fan fiction? (submitted by various)
Answer: Poetry, screenplays, songs, short stories, unfinished novels. I've written over 500 poems, about 3 unfinished screenplays, 10/15 songs, 4 short stories and about 5 unfinished (very, very unfinished) novels. As for fanfic, my first fanfic was for "Twin Peaks." I've also written fanfic for "The X-Files," "Star Trek: Voyager," "Xena: Warrior Princess," "Guiding Light," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," and "General Hospital."

Question: Do you prefer writing in third person or POV? Why? If POV, who is more difficult to write, Logan or Marie? (submitted by Diane)
Answer: When I was younger I really disliked 1st person immensely, but around my 2nd year of fanfic writing, a story for "The X-Files" just grabbed me and basically wrote itself and it was 1st person Scully. After that, I was able to see the merit in both 1st or third person points of view. It depends on the story for me completely. As for "X-Men," I'm not uncomfortable writing Logan's point of view, but I prefer Marie at this point in time -- it's easier to write lusty thoughts about Logan than it is Marie ... maybe that's it.

Question: Is it difficult writing dialogue that stays true to the characters? (submitted by Diane)
Answer: No. If it were, I wouldn't write the story. The number one tenet I hold to in writing fanfic of any kind is staying true to the characters as they've been established. And that is the one complimentary comment I've always received in every fandom that I've written for -- I write the characters as they are. I create a plot around them ... not the other way around.

Question: Are there any special things you do to get inspired? (submitted by Tellie)
Answer: I listen to my Logan/Rogue Music stash on Napster. Sometimes, I'll read other marvelous fanfic. Other times I watch my edited versions of "X-Men." Generally though, I just create the stories in my mind and if it works and is strong enough to get me to the computer, there it is.

Question: Are you working on anything now that we should look forward to? (And when will be seeing more of "Waking Sound in My Time"?! You're killing us here! :-D ) (submitted by various)
Answer: I haven't written anything lately mostly because -- and this sounds really, really terrible, but I get very, very little feedback. I do appreciate the kind words I've received from those who like my stuff -- but generally, my stories just don't seem to fly with the overall W/R group and, yeah, it's stupid but it does affect that ole' inspiration. As for "Waking Sound in My Time," I really am stuck as to where to go, but I've been playing with some ideas lately to unstick myself and if I latch onto something that works, I'll add some more to that cuz it will be inspiration enough. And I do want to finish it for those few who did really like it.

Question: Where did you get the title "Waking Sound in My Time" and how does it relate to the plot of the story? (submitted by Diane)
Answer: I got the title from the Smashing Pumpkins song "Stand Inside Your Love." The actual lyrics are: And for the first time/I'm telling you how much I need and bleed for/Your every move and waking sound/In my time ... it relates to the plot, in that Logan will eventually hear this song in a bar after he's denied himself from Rogue (but it won't be nearly that angsty -- I think, I haven't written it yet) and those lyrics "I need and bleed for your every move and waking sound in my time" just fit his feelings for her so perfectly, especially the "in my time" because Logan is more than just a "life" ... he has all the time in the world pretty much and then some because of his mutation.

Question: You use hypnotism to control Marie's mutation in "Freedom is a Funny Thing". That was quite original, what made you think of it? (submitted by Diane)
Answer: I wish I could give a snappy, cool answer - but honestly, I've forgotten now. What I do recall is that the story just came about because I imagined Marie in a loose, flowing summer dress in the sun with Logan coming up to her and she could touch. And I wanted to write something with a delicate, light but deep touch and that one rather flowed quickly and easily. The whole hypnotism thing was just something that I grabbed to explain how she could touch and it wound up working suprisingly well. How bad would it be if I ripped off myself for future stories with that idea? LOL!

Question: Among your own stories, what are your favourites, and why? (submitted by various)
Answer: It would have to be "Freedom is a Funny Thing." I really believe that I did a great job with that one. I figure not many people read it or maybe even liked it judging from the lack of response, but it's one of the few things that I've written in any fandom that I'm just about 100% happy with - I like the style, the characterization and the overall mood. It has a sunny, hopeful quality that I like with that touch of angst that fits Rogue so well. Plus, I really love how the whole cage analogy of her skin and then her reaction to life just kinda flowed. I like.

Question: Do you have any favourite authors? (submitted by Sarah)
Answer: jenn. And then there's jenn. And did I mention jenn? Seriously, jenn is by far one of the single best writers (period!) that I have ever read. I adore, adore, adore her stuff. Aside from jenn, I enjoy Sare Liz, Diebin, Donna Bevan, Jengrrrl, Terri, Nacey ... you know, the usual suspects. Plus, gotta mention Gowdie if only for the "surgical glove-wearing sexual pity" bit. Classic -- utter classic.

Question: Any advice for people thinking about writing their first fan fic? (submitted by Diane)
Answer: Know the characters you're writing for. Get a beta-reader if it's your first fic and you have doubts. And re-read, re-read, re-read, re-read, re-read until you have it memorized practically and are sick of it. Take a break and then go back and reread it some more. I'll have written something, spell-checked it, read it five times, ran through two beta-readers, read it another five times and then submitted it. And then when reading it on the list, find that I wrote "believed" instead of "believe" or spelt Logan's name Logen or something equally annoying. Even worse sometimes I'll find whole words missing that screw up an entire sentence and it can be a real important sentence. So re-read your work bunches and bunches of time. Don't submit it until YOU are happy with it.

Question: Why write for X-Men? Are you a movie-verse or comic-verse fan? (submitted by various)
Answer: Well, I fell in love with Rogue and Logan in the movie. Hugh Jackman and Anna Paquin have damn fine chemistry and the story of them (created in the movie) inspired me to no end. I'm movie-verse all the way, but not adverse to buying comics that feature any Rogue/Wolvie closeness no matter how insignificant.

Question: What is it you enjoy/like about the L/R 'ship? (submitted by Sarah)
Answer: First and foremost - it's the chemistry, baby! That is what hooked me. Also, I've found I have a penchant for that older/younger thing - my last huge movie couple was Claudia/Louis from "Interview with the Vampire." Specifically to Logan/Marie - it was the connection they developed so quickly. It was the way Logan was so damn determined to help her, to save her, not just from Magneto's crew, but from her own worst fears. As hooked as I was by the stabbing/absorption scene, that train scene was just a killer - drawing me in completely. The looks, the words -- oh Lordy, the words -- "for people like us ..." "I'll take care of you." "You promise?" "Yeah, I promise." -- the look and lean, the utter rightness of the two just grabbed me and I was so a goner.

Question: Is there any character in the X-Men that you find particularly interesting? (submitted by Elisa)
Answer: Not to be boring, but Logan and Rogue -- I genuinely find these two the most interesting of the "X-Men," and not just in the movie, but the comics as well. Especially Rogue. The psyche of this character is just utterly fascinating. The interesting thing is that if you read L/R fanfic, you'll come away with two almost always there absolutes -- Logan is pretty much always gonna be Logan - same characterization and it's on target. However, with Rogue (and this is the other absolute) there is no absolute. I've read so many different variations on this character and yet because of the diverse complexity of the character, many of those variations fit. That's what a great character is.

Question: Any character or story that you think has been neglected by authors in the fandom? (submitted by Elisa)
Answer: The Professor. I'd like to read more about him in W/R fics (the only X-Men fics I read.) There's plenty of (ugh) Jean, plenty of (yay!) Scott, lots of Jubilee -- who I like, at least in the fics, smattering of the others ... but not enough of the Professor. And when he is used, it's generally as the wise voice of reason and that's it. However, due to Stewart's portrayal, I saw different shades of who the character is -- especially in that steely, quiet "settle this" to Logan and Scott. I just think there is more depth to Xavier that we haven't been privy to in the W/R fandom - and I'm guilty of this too.

Question: Your ideal sequel the X-Men movie? (submitted by Sarah)
Answer: Basically, I just want to see a continuation of the Logan/Rogue connection -- romantic or not and I do NOT want to see either Logan or Rogue paired with anyone else. I wouldn't mind if the whole Jean/Logan subplot (which SO did not work) was completely dropped. I also don't want to see Gambit in the sequel if only because I fear that he will be hooked up with Rogue and that I just could not watch.

Question: If you were on a deserted island, you couldn't live without what 3 things? (and if 'shirtless Logan' is one answer, pick something else... that one should be a given ;-) (submitted by Sarah)
Answer: My cats, my computer (I know, I know, I'm on a desert isle, where's the outlet?) and a box of my favorite books including Stephen R. Donaldson's "Gap Series," Frank Herbert's "Dune Series," Laura Kinsale's entire library, Roger Ebert's latest Review book and Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the Wind."