WRFA - The Wolverine and Rogue Fanfiction Archive

Author Interviews - Jengrrrl

Email: bjorkfan2000@earthlink.net

 

Question: Could you tell us a little about yourself (i.e. where you live, hobbies, interests, etc.)  (submitted by various)

Answer: I live in a city right outside Los Angeles. I love to write. I go to school and am an English major. School takes up a whole hell of a lot of my time. Too much. I plan on dedicating myself entirely to writing soon. I've decided it's my life's calling.  Even if others don't. :)

Question: How long have you been writing fanfic, why did you get started and have you written for other fandoms?  (submitted by various)

Answer: I've been writing fanfic for about three years. I got started on a whim; my first fanfic was actually for "The Practice." This was a long time ago and I was intrigued by the Bobby/Lindsay relationship that had taken place pretty much off camera. I wrote a little fic. Terrible, terrible, but I was hooked on fanfiction from then on.

 

I've written fanfic for "Roswell" and "X-Men." That's it. Though I am intrigued by a few characters on ER and by a couple of movies few people have heard of, let alone seen.

Question: Mutants, and Logan/Rogue in particular, what's so cool about them? (submitted by Kim)

Answer: Mutants are you and me. We're all mutants, in one way or another, so it's easy to relate. We take their characters, with their exaggerated problems, and we put them in situations we might put ourselves into. Or at least fantasize about. It's great fun. Logan is great fodder for fanfiction because of his amnesia, his inability to recollect all but fifteen years of his life. That's great angst material right there. Same for Rogue. Her skin makes her extra special, dangerous and, of course, lonely, sad, and desirous of more in her life. That's were we fanfic writers step in (God knows Marvel isn't doing it for us).

Question: What is it about the Logan/Rogue relationship that you like to write about?  (submitted by Stacy)

Answer: Logan and Rogue are very similar characters in some ways. Their both "outsiders." They don't entirely belong in the X-Men organization (I'm talking movie now) and they seem to need each other. He gets something out of rescuing her, he does. And she needs him, too. He's her human connection, someone who won't turn away from her just because she's "different." I think that's what we're all searching for, in one form or another.

Question: What is the writing process like for you?  Do you find any part of writing difficult?  Do you use beta readers?  (submitted by various)

Answer: I just pretty much sit down and write, which makes things rough for me down the line, especially with series. I shouldn't write series, really, because I'm forever losing track of them, the situations and motivations.  I love the characters, and want to do write by them, and I'm oh so interested in writing an epic piece of fiction that's entertaining, but I admittedly am not good at this.  My best work (which isn't saying much) comes when I sit down and write it all in one or two big blocks of time.  That way, the material can't get away from me.

Question: What inspires you the most when writing fanfiction?  (submitted by Em)

Answer: I'm inspired by weird things. Trains are awfully romantic vehicles, and I'm forever watching movies like "Murder on the Orient Express" and "The Lady Vanishes," which is a direct inspiration for the "All Aboard" series.

 

I like interpersonal relationships more than action. I like action more than comedy, though they're not mutually exclusive.

 

I must say that I tend to put my characters in situations I'd like to be in, however hazardous. :)

Question: Who is your favorite character to write?  Least favorite?  Why? (submitted by Jamie)

Answer: My favorite is Rogue, because it's entirely to easy to relate to her. I'd say I only attempt writing characters that appeal to me, so I don't really have a least favorite.

Question: You started out in this fandom with a series, "The Big Crunch". Since then you've written mostly stand-alones.  Is there a particular reason for this?  (submitted by Elaine)

Answer: Like I said, series are difficult to keep up with...

Question: Do you find your ideas change over the course of writing a series or extended WIP?  If so, do you run with it, or do you try to get back to your original vision?  (submitted by Elaine)

Answer: I tend to go where my fingers take me. If I find myself writing in another direction, and I think it works, I have no problem going with it. That's the fun, for me, in writing. You don't have to stick with anything, you're forever tinkering.

Question: I've enjoyed the "All Aboard" series and the AU world you've created for Logan and Rogue.  Are you still working on this series, and do you have plans for any new AUs?  (submitted by Khaki)

Answer: AUs really are my favorite stories to write, only because I get to write something that's semi-original and still get to use the characters that I love.  I'd love to start another AU. As soon as I finish the one I've still got in progress... (And I am planning on finishing them!)

Question: How is it different writing the characters in an AU story setting, as opposed to their traditional setting?  (submitted by Elaine)

Answer: AUs give you a lot more room to breath. I don't have to set the story within the confines of the X-Mansion. I don't even have to make the characters superheroes! All I have to do is take their attributes, moods, etc. and put them in whatever setting I wish. It's great fun.

Question: For the AU setting of "All Aboard", did you do any research, did you already know much of the information, or is it all imagination? (submitted by Diane)

Answer: I did a minimal amount of research for "All Aboard." Mostly, I wanted to get the Orient Express's train route correct and the name of the company that owned it, that sort of thing. There was a bit of geographic research, and some on the period fashion.  Other than that, I just let myself run with it.

Question: You're a bonafide angst girl.  In your opinion, is it even possible to write Logan and Rogue without a hint of angst and still maintain their identities?  (submitted by Anne)

Answer: I really think it's part of their personality...  Their just sort of tragic figures. Human problems magnified to the nth degree.  I don't see them every being perfectly well-adjusted and happy, no.

Question: Love isn't always enough, as you showed in your stories "Into the Fire" and "The Big Crunch".  What do you think is necessary to keep Logan and Rogue together?  (submitted by Diane)

Answer: Honestly, that's hard to say (and of course, entirely dependent on the writer's characterization). Logan and Rogue, for me, are searching for people who will understand them. That, I think, is why they are attracted (and attractive to us as a couple) to each other. That is why Logan promises to take care of Rogue, and why Rogue hangs on to his promise with such fervor. That being said, I think that their psyches are warped beyond belief. There's a lot of inner turmoil they can't understand about each other.  The only way to get past that is to accept it and not let it get in the way. Awfully difficult, if you ask me.

Question: Would you mind explaining a bit about the story "Stroke of Luck"--was Logan feeling guilty because he didn't save Remy, or because he didn't *want* to save Remy, or...?  (submitted by  Traci)

Answer: Both, really.  He's angry, initially, because he feels the way he does about Rogue and can't let himself accept it. He's angry because his attraction has caused him to commit such an atrocious act - basically letting Remy be killed. The guilt is consuming him and the only way he knows to let it out is through violence and anger. Until the final revelation in the story. Now we've got two unhappy people, who were unhappy before, but now the truth is out.  It's a happy ending in a way...

Question: When you start writing a story, do you start with a title in mind? (submitted by various)

Answer: Sometimes. Usually, the story dictates the title, but it can be fun to work the other way around.

Question: Where did you get the title "Purdah" and how does it relate to the plot of the story?  (submitted by Diane)

Answer: Purdah is funny. Purdah I read in another book (don't remember which just now) and thought it was perfect for this story. Purdah is this screen, used in India, which blocks women from the sight of men.  Although this story is basically told through Logan's POV, I wanted to set up the fact that Rogue is basically shielded from him. She was shielded from him both physically and mentally. His projection of her personality ends up becoming a projection of his needs. At the end, he ends up seeing that she isn't what she thought she was... or hoped she would be.

Question: Most of your stories are angsty with the notable exception being, "Of Friends and Good Intentions".  Did you find it difficult writing humor?  (submitted by Diane)

Answer: I love writing humor! It's fantastically fun. I'm naturally attracted to angst, but writing "OFAGI" was great. And, of course, I hope people enjoyed it.

Question: Kitty and Jubilee had as big a role in "Of Friends and Good Intentions" as Logan and Rogue.  Are there any other secondary characters you like to include in your stories?  (submitted by Kim)

Answer: I liked writing Ororo in a small story called "Generous Palmstroke."  I'm not really attracted to Jean's character, though she's sometimes necessary to write in an L/R. *Sometimes*.

Question: You've written stories in 3rd person POV ("All Aboard"), 2nd Person POV ("Into the Fire"), and 1st person POV ("Random").  Have you discovered that you prefer one more than the others?  Why or why not? (submitted by Amy)

Answer: I'm not partial to any one POV. I like to use whatever I think will serve the story best.  "Into the fire," for instance, I wrote in 2nd POV because I wanted a certain intimacy between Rogue and the reader, a certain understanding, that's hard to come by. Third person is usually a detaching device, and 1st person invites intimacy while we're forever questioning the narrator's story. It's a double-edged sword. I thought the 2nd person pov worked because it wasn't shoved down your throat. I didn't use it *just* to be different. I seriously though it served a purpose. And I hope it worked.

Question: Which of your stories was the most difficult to write, the most fun, and why?  (submitted by various)

Answer: Most difficult was and is "All Aboard," simply because I can't get the damn thing finished.  Most fun was "Of Friends and Good Intentions" because I got to be goofy and put my characters in outrageously unbelievable situations.

Question: Which of your stories is you personal favorite and why?  (submitted by various)

Answer: My personal favorite? That's very difficult.  I've got a WIP, "Eight Months," that I think has the potential to be my best X-Men fanfic. Finished? I really like "Into the Fire." There are still things I'd like to change, but not as many as with some of the others.

Question: Are there any fics (especially L/R) that we can expect to see from you soon?  (submitted by Khaki)

Answer: I'm still working on "All Aboard" and I'm trying to think of something fresh and new to do. It's hard, with so much L/R fanfic out there. Especially so much good stuff. That's not always true in certain fandoms.

Question: What is your favorite Logan/Rogue moment from the movie?  From one of your stories?  (submitted by Diane)

Answer: My favorite L/R moment? Movie: Logan's departure. So much is said through the actor's eyes. What's left unsaid, fanfic authors pick up on. :) From one of my stories? Hmm. That's tough. Uh, I guess I'd say it's a moment from "Into the Fire." Here Rogue is standing amid rubble, debris, shocked people, and what she thinks about is the disaster that has become her life. Her work, her duty as a superhero, is only an extension of her personal life with Logan. The scene she is confronted with is a metaphor for the mess she has made of things.

Question: What three specific things would you like to see included or changed in the X-Men sequel?  (submitted by Traci)

Answer: Specifically? Oh, babe, I'll never get them. Logan/Rogue I won't get. I'd like to see something darker, edgier. Think Jenn's "Jus Ad Bellum" as a movie. And I'd like for them NOT to add new characters. Things are crowded enough. If they are added, keep them on the periphery. :) :)

Question: What is the best advice you have ever received in regard to your writing?  (submitted by various)

Answer: Best advice?  Keep doing it. Do it because you love it. And if you want to get better, just practice. Write, write, write.